most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #7801
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Practice Report: 8/14
Aug. 14, 2010

By: David Lake

Chase Ford
CORAL GABLES, Fla. --- The Miami Hurricanes returned to practice this morning at 8 a.m. after the first two-a-day practice of fall camp yesterday.

The Hurricanes practiced for roughly two and-a-half hours on Saturday, which was a tough test after the demanding two practices on Friday.

Read on for more news and notes coming out of today’s morning practice.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“We bounced back pretty good this morning. The guys were pretty enthused and we had to get the guys cranked up a little bit, so we did a little bit of conditioning before we started practice to get the blood flowing. We just ended with the receivers and defensive backs going through blocking drills which was good.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Shannon compared where the team is right now at this point in fall camp to where the team was last year at the same point: “We are a lot better now. At the tight ends, Richard Gordon is a lot farther along and he is about the same where Dedrick Epps was. Chase Ford is a lot better than where Jimmy Graham was because of what he has been doing in practice with the running game and blocking and his receiving ability has been impressive. On offensive line and defense we are executing very well. The thing we have to emphasize on defense is the linebackers. We have guys that are doing good, but we need some other guys to step up. Overall we are getting better.”

• TE Chase Ford continues to remind Shannon of former Hurricane great Jeremy Shockey. “He was the MVP of that Texas [JUCO] League and when you are the MVP of a league and play tight end, that tells you a lot about him. We knew about his athletic ability and toughness and we just wanted to see his learning ability and tell him it was time to go. We are happy to have him and if he keeps progressing the right way we will be alright at tight end.”

• Ford has impressed Shannon with his blocking ability too. “He is good at blocking right now. He is going to be a lot stronger four games into the season. We know that is going to be one of his weaknesses, but he is a tough kid and he knows how to use his body.”

• Blocking is an area Shannon is emphasizing with the wide receivers during fall camp. “We told them you are receivers, but you have to block and open those holes for the running backs too. We don’t want them to think that receivers are here to just catch deep balls and be passive in the running game. We have to be physical in the running game.”

• RB Graig Cooper has participated in 9-on-9 full contact drills the last two days at practice. “He had contact, but it was just like him getting bumped and stuff like that,” Shannon said. “We are going to ease him and Jordan Futch in. He may take a shot in the open field, but he still has to get used to it.” According to Shannon, neither Cooper or Futch will participate in any scrimmages this fall.

• S Ray Ray Armstrong has made strides since last year, but he still needs to improve his consistency. “He is doing well,” Shannon said. “He needs to be a lot more consistent and he knows that. I am very pleased with him. A couple of days ago he made some plays that showed what he can do. We are looking for him to keep progressing to give us a chance to win some games.”

• C Shane McDermott has gotten his weight up to 285 pounds and added a lot of strength since the spring. “For all offensive and defensive linemen it is the strength because they are not used to pounding against 300 pounders,” Shannon said. “In the spring, he was learning but since then he has gotten his strength up and we are very enthused about him.”

• OL Orlando Franklin is currently at the lowest weight of his UM career. Franklin arrived at UM weighing 315 and got up to 345 at one point in his career. He currently weighs 310 pounds.

• Franklin has been impressed with freshman OL Seantrel Henderson: "The first two days he was out there running around like a chicken with his head cut off, but you can see he’s actually getting and knows what he’s supposed to do now. I’m real excited to see where that kid is going to be in a year."
 6 years ago '07        #7802
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 465 465
Keep em commin, keep em commin

6 years ago '06        #7803
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,595 | Props total: 12024 12024
18 days till fam u ill be there

HOLLALCHABOY!!!!
 08-15-2010, 01:22 PM         #7804
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
OU and Miami are Top 2 for Skyline LB Anthony Wallace
August 12, 2010

DALLAS - Following his initial visit to Norman with friend and teammate Franklin Shannon, Anthony Wallace began receiving even more attention and hype than that which already surrounded him. The Skyline-duo were at one time raving about their visit to Norman, and the future looked promising as the Sooners tried harder to land their third and fourth Skyline prospects since the 2010 class.

While Shannon and Wallace were at one time thought to be a package deal, Shannon went ahead and made his commitment to Oklahoma in late May without his teammate. Rumors said that Wallace was nearing a commitment, but as the summer went on Wallace became more and more of a ghost to the media.

Oddly enough, the nation's No. 4 inside linebacker was not standoffish at all when approached at Skyline's practice on August 11. While naturally quiet and reserved, Wallace was not trying to avoid anyone, he said, but had just been without a phone for awhile. "It's pretty much the end of summertime and I'm putting the recruiting thing on hold right now," Wallace announced. "I'm just trying to focus on getting ready for the season."

This may come as somewhat of a surprise as Wallace's original intentions were to commit before the football season started in late August. Those intentions, however, look to no longer be the game plan. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder said his original goal was an honest one, but he has found himself at a crossroads between a few schools that he is still examining and two that remain at the top above all the rest. "That was the plan, you know, to commit before I started my senior year. As soon as I get everything situated and find the best fit is when I'll make my decision," he explained. "I'm still looking at Arkansas, USC and Oregon, but OU and Miami are my top two. I'm just trying to find the right fit, because they're all good schools. I'm just trying to find the best fit for me."

Just because the Sooner media base has not been able to get a hold of Wallace does not mean that the Sooner coaching staff was out of the loop as well. Wallace admitted that he and the coaches had found ways to talk a lot lately, mainly through email and Facebook. "I've been talking to coach Brent Venables a lot lately. He's pretty much just been talking to me about school and everything and about me coming down and working out before the season starts. I'm going to go up there (to Norman) and visit, that'll be my last stop before the season starts."

Along with the coaching staff, Wallace has also managed to stay in touch with some Skyline veterans; wide receiver Joe Powell and linebacker Corey Nelson. "I've been talking to them. They've just been saying if you're not ready to work then don't come to OU," he said laughing. "They said that's all they do is just work." "I've been talking to Corey more. He said pretty much the same thing; it's hard work. He said that Coach Venables will make you better, though, and stuff like that. He said he really likes it."

The two Skyline alumni are not the only two Sooners that have been talking to the linebacker in an attempt to sway his commitment to Oklahoma. One Sooner-to-be is providing his support as well. "Wallace? Oh yeah, I've still been talking to him about OU and I've been trying to get him up there," Shannon said after practice. "He's just saying he's going to make his decision when he's ready. He hasn't really told me the one (out of Miami and OU) he likes the most. I hope it's OU."

With the summer winding down and Skyline set to take the field in their season opener on August 28, the reality of Wallace deciding on one program before the season begins is looking slimmer. Ironically, Wallace does not seem to be in any rush. Attribute that to his cool and collected manner, but the young linebacker did not voice any hurry in committing to any program before a certain date. "I'm not on any timetable," he said. "You can't put a time on trying to find the best fit. It's a four year, really a 30-year, decision, because it's after football and college and into your career that you've got to consider."
 6 years ago '05        #7805
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
Aug. 15, 2010

Twitter Coverage: Twitter.com/Hurricane
Sports Blog Coverage: TheUFootball.com
HurricaneSports.com

Photo Gallery
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The red zone was the focus of the 11th practice of fall camp for the University of Miami football team in sweltering conditions as Sunday morning's heat index reached as high as 101 degrees.

With the second two-a-day session looming, the Hurricanes spent nearly all of their 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work in the red zone during the two-hour practice.

Built Ford Tough
Junior transfer tight end Chase Ford made three grabs today in the red zone. However, no catch on the day was as impressive than when Jacory Harris delivered a perfect pass low and away from double coverage into the diving hands of Ford.

Making the Right Reid
Defensive back Jamal Reid is listed as 6-1, but on a deep pass down the sideline, the Mayo, Fla. native out-jumped the 6-5 Tommy Streeter to break up Stephen Morris' pass. Later in the practice, Reid forced a fumble that was eventually recovered by the defense.

Unsolicited Academic Praise For LaRon Byrd & Jake Wieclaw
Being a student-athlete, and especially a college football player, is at least a full-time job... AND we don't give these college kids enough credit, especially the players that excel in the classroom.

So when an email like the one below comes to a.ssistant Director of UM Academics Chris Doell it should to be publicized and LaRon Byrd and Jake Wieclaw deserve the spotlight.

Special thanks to Dr. Joy H. Beverly for allowing us to share her kind words... We will let her email tell the rest of the story.

[pic - click to view]

Offensive Highlights
- Travis Benjamin picked up a modest gain on a reverse, fueled by a crushing pancake block by OL Jermaine Johnson.
- TE Chase Ford grabbed a pair of 20-yard touchdowns in red zone 7-on-7 drills.
- Storm Johnson and Damien Berry each broke through the defense for long touchdown runs.
- Lamar Miller and Travis Benjamin collected blitz busting passes for long scores of their own.

Defensive Highlights
- On back-to-back plays, LB Colin McCarthy had a tackle-for-loss and LB Sean Spence came in unscathed for a sack.
- Pressure from the defensive line led to interceptions by defensive backs Keion Payne and Vaughn Telemaque.
- Linebackers Kylan Robinson and Jimmy Gaines each squared-up running backs for tackles-for-loss in blitz packages.
- To close out the practice, DL Marcus Forston picked-off a pass on a zone blitz and LB Kevin Nelson dove to break-up a pass to the running back.
 6 years ago '06        #7806
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
1.st off wallace i like him hope we get em

2nd off great news that chad ford is making amazing plays out there

if we get a tight end beast woww
 6 years ago '04        #7807
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 P. Dedos said:
1.st off wallace i like him hope we get em

2nd off great news that chad ford is making amazing plays out there

if we get a tight end beast woww
Don't sleep on J. Reid

My n*gga Ray Ray needs to keep watching his steps cuz Reid ain't playing no f**king games. I don't wanna see bum a.ss Jo Jo Nicholas at any of the safety positions
 6 years ago '07        #7808
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
chase ford out there gettin it in

Cleveland must be getting no burn. Because I think hes gonna be a good one to.

Good to hear the defense is flying around.
 6 years ago '05        #7809
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 Cap Peeler said:
Don't sleep on J. Reid

My n*gga Ray Ray needs to keep watching his steps cuz Reid ain't playing no f**king games. I don't wanna see bum a.ss Jo Jo Nicholas at any of the safety positions
yea ray ray need to step up...they sayin he might come in and make a big play/big hit and then give up a big play to the offense

and also not sure if my boy was bulls**tting or not...but my boy who works at the um hospital said laron byrd was there yesterday cuz he injured his knee in practice, season ender potentially
 6 years ago '07        #7810
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 Deeangoe said:
yea ray ray need to step up...they sayin he might come in and make a big play/big hit and then give up a big play to the offense

and also not sure if my boy was bulls**tting or not...but my boy who works at the um hospital said laron byrd was there yesterday cuz he injured his knee in practice, season ender potentially
Damn, that would be a muthaf**ka to lose bryd for the season, I had big expectations for him. Hope that news is a false alarm
 6 years ago '07        #7811
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
No not byrdddddddd

we deep at WR tho....but it still hurts
 6 years ago '04        #7812
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
yeah the depth at WR is not a big issue but still losing Byrd is not something i'd want. He's got 2 years under his belt and one of our best receivers as well... slacked off last year but he was coming back with a vengeance for this one... don't wanna lose him at all
 6 years ago '04        #7813
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/15
Aug. 15, 2010

Mike James
CORAL GABLES, Fla. --- The University of Miami returned to practice Sunday morning at 8 a.m. for the 11th practice of fall camp this year.

This is the time of fall camp where the real grind begins and the starters start to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

Read on for the news and notes to come out of today’s practice.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“We did some red-zone work going in and keep working on offense and defense with the offense scoring points and the defense making stops in the red-zone. We got to find a way to create turnovers in there or get away with three points. That was the big emphasis of the day. We worked on third down and long situations too today. Sometimes you have to get your third downs to where it is a fourth down and one or two and then you maybe go for it or you go punt. We started off fast today, slowed down in the middle, but we ended up fast. We have to stay focused and go through the process of getting better every day and finishing fast.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Shannon says he has not really seen any real separation from any of the players at wide receiver and running back at this point, but he says that just illustrates the depth and competition UM has at those positions. “Not really, but that is a good thing. You still have guys competing and learning and trying to get on the football field and be a part of this team. The more that you have those guys not making that separation, the better football team you have. Nobody is staying the same. It goes back and forth on who does what in practice and that is a good thing because defensively you will take some guys out and then another guy has to step up.”

• RB Mike James has received a lot of reps with the first team this fall and Shannon has been impressed with his progression so far. “He brings versatility,” Shannon said. “He is a tough guy who will work hard and he is a guy that no matter what happens, when his number I called, he is going to execute and do his job. He is a guy that a lot of guys on the team look up to because he works hard.”

• Senior OL Orlando Franklin is very focused this fall camp. The proof: Franklin has gotten his weight down to 310 pounds and he is living in the dorms during camp. “Orlando always plays good when he is under 313 pounds or so,” Shannon said. “When he is under that weight, he is unbelievable. He can move and do all the things that you want him to do. Some guys want to stay in the dorms during camp and that is just something we do and whatever those guys need to do to get focused, we let them do.”

• Shannon on freshman RB Storm Johnson: “He is a lot better than he was in January and we are excited about his progress. He is working on kickoff return as a return guy, but the running back position is very competitive right now and they are all giving us opportunities to see who is going to be the guy. It bounces back and forth with all the guys, but that is the versatility you need at running back because then you can ride the guy that is hot that day.”

• Safety Jamal Reid returned to practice this week after missing the first week of camp because he had to attend to some academic issues. Shannon says Reid has gotten the message now that academics are important and that he not missed a beat on the field during the second week of camp. “He is back into full speed now and he is feeling good and bouncing around,” Shannon said. “He is not lost and that is that is the great thing because he has been around and understands the system. The more that we keep going, the better he is going to be. We will evaluate more about him from the scrimmage this week.”
 6 years ago '06        #7814
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
RAMON COOKIE BUCHNOON IS k!llING OUT THERE ALL SUMMER TRAINING CAMP THIS KID IS GONNA BE A PROBLEM

MY GUESS MCCARTY MLB

SPENCE AND COOKIE OUTSIDE :mj2:

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
 6 years ago '04        #7815
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/16
Aug. 16, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

LaRon Byrd
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Hurricanes completed the first of two practices on Monday for their second two-a-day of the fall.

The team was in full pads with the emphasis on redzone and third-down plays for their 12th practice of the fall.

"We got off the field fast today," coach Randy Shannon said. "There wasn't no mistakes, it was short, it was crisp. We didn't have no repeats, which was good, it shows that we are staying focused through these tough times."

The afternoon practice, which begins at 3:45, will be focused on passing.

“We will do a lot of pass drills, play-action pass, a lot more pass emphasis,” Shannon said. “Pass rush, working on protecting the quarterback, and see who can rush the quarterback and stop guys from getting to the quarterback.”

News & Notes

Morning Updates

• WR LaRon Byrd did not practice today as he left Sunday’s practice early with an injury. Byrd was seen on crutches with a brace on his left leg. He was scheduled to have an MRI on Monday, but Coach Shannon is keeping the results and the severity of the injury unknown. When asked if Byrd was at practice, Shannon replied: “He’s doing fine. I told you guys the other day that some guys are nicked, we are going to sit him out.” Shannon did confirm that Byrd would not practice in the afternoon. Byrd has been running with the second team most of the fall as Travis Benjamin has taken his spot on the first unit alongside senior Leonard Hankerson. This injury is something that will be continued to be monitored until the severity is released.

• Shannon noted that LBs Colin McCarthy and Sean Spence would not practice every day this fall to give them a break. "It is like the NFL," Shannon said. "Colin McCarthy is not going to practice every day. Sean Spence won’t too."

• Starters will not be announced until the game, Shannon says. "The best guys play. That is the greatest thing about competition because you don’t have to worry about it. I have seen guys the night before the game against West Virginia, it was Scott Covington who broke out in hives the night before a game and Ryan Clements had to be a starter. Things happen and you have to adjust,” Shannon said.

• CB Brandon McGee still is not practicing, but was at practice in his jersey. The reason is unknown why he is out.

• This spring, the coaches began game-planning on their first four opponents of the season—Florida A&M, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, and Clemson. “We did most of the game planning during the spring, because everybody stayed the same with the coordinators and everybody," Shannon said. "We will really start practicing on it five to six days out of FAMU."

• Miami will hold their second scrimmage of fall camp on Wednesday. Shannon puts a lot of emphasis on the scrimmage evaluations because it is game like situations. “The scrimmage is most important because it is game type situations and guys have to stay focused with the mentals and busts. When it is inside run, there is no passing and on 7-on-7 there is no running. Those are the easy things. It is when you mix it up that you have to focus,” Shannon said.

Afternoon Updates

• Junior Lee Chambers has been moved from running back to cornerback. This move comes as a result of the depth at tailback and the lack of depth at cornerback. Chambers has good speed, which gives him a shot to be productive, but it's doubtful he'll have much of an impact the way Sam Shields did a year ago. Chambers (5-10, 192) has played in 14 games for the Hurricanes at running back the last two seasons, rushing for 272 yards and one touchdown on 60 carries.

• WR Kendal Thompkins is one of the 8-10 guys being looked at as the team's punt returner. In our opinion, Thompkins would be the best option as he is the quickest, most elusive player to fill this role. If the coaches feel comfortable with him, he could be a great a.sset. If not, they could turn towards a more experienced safer pick. In talking with Thompkins, he's very excited about the possibility and wants this role.

• S Jamal Reid is glad to be back on the practice field and made an impact on the first day of practice as he recorded an interception after missing the first week. He's battling for playing time at a position that has plenty of options.

• S Ray Ray Armstrong made a nice interception at the beginning of practice, but was tackled by walk-on OL Eduardo Lopez, which drew praise from his offensive line teammates.

• CB DeMarcus Van Dyke had a pass break-up in the endzone during a redzone drill, but celebrated as if it were an interception. Hopefully he'll be celebrating interceptions during the season as pass break-ups should be a formality for the senior.
 6 years ago '04        #7816
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Chambers Switches Positions
Aug. 16, 2010

By: InsideTheU.com Staff

Lee Chambers
Junior Lee Chambers has a new position going into his fourth season at Miami.

Today, Chambers was switched from running back to cornerback.

Chambers (5-10, 192) has played in 14 games for the Hurricanes at running back the last two seasons, rushing for 272 yards and one touchdown on 60 carries.

At Coffeeville (MS) High School, Chambers played linebacker and safety his senior season, making 57 tackles, one sack, and returned one interception for a touchdown.

Last season, Miami switched another offensive player to defense when receiver Sam Shields moved from wide receiver to cornerback. Shields played in 12 games for the Hurricanes last year, making 41 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, and two pass break-ups.

Chambers' move from offense to defense illustrates the depth and confidence the Miami coaching staff has in their young running back corps. The running backs are led by veterans Damien Berry and Graig Cooper while sophomore Mike James and freshmen Lamar Miller and Storm Johnson are pushing for playing time.

UM's cornerbacks are led by senior DeMarcus Van Dyke and junior Brandon Harris. UM's nickel position is a camp competition between senior Ryan Hill, sophomore Brandon McGee, senior Cory Nelms, and freshmen Keion Payne and Devont'a Davis.
 6 years ago '04        #7817
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Johnson: Running Back's Pushing Each Other
Aug. 16, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Storm Johnson.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- There is a glutton of talented players at running back. Who will be the guy? While most expect that guy to end up being Damien Berry as the player who gets the most carries, there are number of others who are in the running and freshman Storm Johnson is definitely one of them.

Looking at Johnson, he doesn’t look like a true freshman. He’s built like a truck and runs with power and speed. It’s why he’s likely to be given opportunities to get real playing time in meaningful game situations.

“The battle, right now we are just trying to perfect what we do. We are getting different plays, different people are good at different things, some may be good at stretch, some at power, so they base it all on that,” Johnson said.

The reality is, Johnson is the kind of back that belongs on the field. His stature resembles that of Berry, strong and powerful with good speed. But Johnson has even more speed that Berry and he brings an added dimension – he can return kicks too.

In high school he returned seven kickoffs for touchdowns while also rushing for over 1,900 yards and 31 touchdowns. It’s in that area where there are some expectations of his contributions as a freshman, but Johnson holds no punches, he wants to play.

“Don’t get me wrong. Everybody wants to start. I want to start. I go out on the field every day wanting to start, but I mean, you just got to push other teammates. Everybody got to push each other. I am trying to outdo the next person and that makes everybody better,”

While he may be limited in carries, if he can show the ability to return kicks, that would be something the ‘Canes haven’t had since Devin Hester.

It would put a track speed athlete back there along with a player with excellent size with Johnson running a 4.38 in the 40 and standing 6-foot, 218-pounds.

“I am fast and big at the same time. I’ll be put in a lot of different situations where I’ll just have to do my thing,” Johnson said.

But running back is the position he wants to play, the position he was brought to Miami. His advantage over the other backs outside of Berry is power and speed. Lamar Miller is looked at as a home run hitter. Mike James, while he can play running back, is one ankle sprain of Patrick Hill from being moved back to fullback. Lee Chambers simply doesn’t have Storm’s size and Graig Cooper’s knee is going to be a question until he gets hit in a game.

“Just a runner that can do a lot of things, versatile runner, power runner,” Johnson said.

He likes the fact there are so many backs to compete with.

“I like it. More competition, you’re always getting better. You can’t take a day off because the next man may take your position. It gets us better, gets us more focused to our goal,” Johnson said. “I would describe myself as a power, speed back, balanced. We do have a lot of speed guys, a lot of power guys, as coach said he’s going to balance it all in the game. If one doesn’t do his thing in the game, the other will. We all push each other. I am just trying to help the team in whatever I can do. I am just trying to get on the field. It just makes me work harder every day, just knowing there a lot of people in front of me. I just got to work hard every day, show my talent every day, can’t take a day off.”
 6 years ago '05        #7818
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
damn i was hoping my boy was kiding bout byrd being injured since i saw no mentions of it on ne of the practice reports or scout message boards

also update on coop according to reliable source on the scout boards

very doubtful coop plays at all this yr, his pops is totally against it in fear of another setback (injury) wants him to recover fully for the nfl combine, and his pops is also against him redshirting, so quite possibly the last we seen of coop play for us
 6 years ago '06        #7819
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
this guy storm is gonna be a problem

woww we are so louded at running back

good luck to coop it was fun watching him to play

but we got too much talent at running back and coop used to make those jukes

hes still get drafted 5 round over.. if he didnt get injured they said he was 3rd round grade last year

6 years ago '04        #7820
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/17
Aug. 17, 2010

Lee Chambers
CORAL GABLES, Fla. --- Miami completed their 14th practice of fall camp Tuesday morning in a short practice that was essentially a walkthrough before tomorrow’s scrimmage.

Tuesday’s practice was the second day junior Lee Chambers worked at cornerback, making the move from running back.

Miami made a similar switch last season, moving senior Sam Shields from receiver to cornerback during the spring prior to the 2009 season.

UM coach Randy Shannon says to not expect any immediate production out of Chambers at cornerback, but he could help the team down the line.

“Lee is not going to be able to help us [right now] because he didn’t go through spring football, but give us by the fifth or sixth game of the season and somebody may get nicked or injured and he will be ready to go,” Shannon said.

Read on for more notes to come out of today’s practice.

NEWS & NOTES

• Moving Chambers from running back to cornerback will benefit the team, Shannon says. “It is good for the team and good for Lee,” Shannon said. “He was a running back and defensive back in high school, so it is not really a tough transition for him. You got to think ahead. We moved Damien Berry from defensive back to tailback and Lee has always been playing on special teams and he is a very aggressive kid. He is kind of like Sam Shields a little bit, so we see that in him.”

• One of the reasons why Shannon feels comfortable playing Chambers at cornerback is because he played the position in high school. During his senior year, Chambers finished with 57 tackles, four interceptions and one sack. “You can’t really move a guy who has never played it, so it is not that hard of a transition,” Shannon said. “It is like riding a bike and you just have to get used to it all over again.”

• Chambers says coming out of high school, most colleges were recruiting him to play cornerback. “I was All-State playing cornerback in high school,” Chambers said. “I was recruited mostly for cornerback. I just loved running with the football, so I took my chances on that.”

• Shannon says learning the basic techniques of playing cornerback won’t be hard for Chambers. “It is all the same,” Shannon said. “You don’t really backpedal that much anymore in college football. You may backpedal five steps and then you are turning and running because how big and fast these guys are these days. He has good speed and good hips and feet and we are going to continue to work with him.”

• OL Jermaine Johnson has gotten some work this fall camp as a blocking tight end and has been wearing No. 89 occasionally at practice. “I am helping the team in the running game, going downhill and things like that.”

• Miami worked on their kickoff return and punt pressure during practice today. Getting better protection on punts is an area Shannon would like to see improvement from the team this year. “That is one of the biggest things you have to work on all the time.,” Shannon said. “Last year we tried something new, so this year we are going back to something else. We are going to keep working and continue to work and see what we can get done. We have a veteran team now, so we changed some of our punt protection.”

• The Hurricanes will hold their second scrimmage of the fall tomorrow night. The scrimmage is closed to fans and the media.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
81 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
6 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
176 comments
1 day ago