Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Brother acts like little sister is invisible & she believes him
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Her ass is stupid thick
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
72 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM         #761
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 2, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Kerry Murphy bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Hoover (AL) High School DT Kerry Murphy is on his way to Miami this weekend for a surprise visit.

The 6-foot-5, 315-pounder is the second four-star player currently committed elsewhere that will be taking a visit to Miami Super Bowl weekend.

Murphy is committed to Alabama; the Canes have also enticed Michigan commitment Martell Webb to visit this weekend.

"I'm still an Alabama commitment," Murphy says.

So why is he taking the Miami visit?

"I've always been an Alabama fan ever since I was little," he said. "I wanted to get out of Alabama and go to an out of state school to see it.

"I'm going just to see what it's like at Miami, and it's still a possibility I'll commit there."

Murphy says he won't wait until signing day to announce a decision.

"I would announce it Tuesday -- that's when two of the other players on my team are announcing at my school," he said. "The media will be there then, so I might as well announce it then."

What does he know about Miami heading into this visit?

"I know they have the right stuff for me to get to the next level," Murphy said. "Working out with pro athletes in the summertime, you can't beat that."
 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM         #762
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 2, 2007

Jim Martz, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Chris Summers bio

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Jacksonville (Fla.) Ribault High School Chris Summers says he'll likely be a Hurricane ... if Miami offers him a scholarship.

Summers visited UM officially last weekend but left without a formal offer.

He now says his understanding is Miami wants him at receiver if he is offered a scholarship there, not tight end.

"It's Miami and Louisville, that's about it," Summers said.

But Louisville is working itself out of the picture.

Summers says he hasn't heard from their coaches in three weeks. He at one point had committed to Louisville.

"I'm also looking at Bowling Green," Summers said. "I might commit somewhere before signing day, but I don't know yet."

Summers says he is already a full qualifier.

Last year he finished with 45 receptions for over 800 yards with eight touchdowns.
 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM         #763
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 2, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI OFFICIAL VISITORS
Weekend of Feb. 2
Note that this is not an official list. There can be surprise visitors, and some expected visitors may change their plans. Stay tuned to CaneSport.com as visits wrap up Sunday for all the news from the weekend.
Jared Campbell
Aurora (CO) Overland
S ranking: No. 67
Colorado ranking: No. 11

Level of Interest: High

The Skinny: Calais Campbell's younger brother is a solid Cane commitment and will spend the weekend checking out his new home.
Orlando Franklin
Delray Beach (FL) Atlantic
2006 OT ranking: No. 23
2006 Florida ranking: No. 46

The Skinny: Franklin missed out on being a Hurricane last season when the NCAA ruled he had to re-take a pair of English classes. He's planning on re-signing with the Canes and will use his visit to get to know new OL coach Jeff Stoutland better.
Harland Gunn
Omaha (NE) Central
C ranking: No. 8
Nebraska ranking: No. 2

The Skinny: Gunn is perhaps the most solid Cane commitment of the year. He gave his pledge and stuck by it since before last season. This is his only visit, and he will be looking for tips from coaches to help him spend the next few months getting ready for immediate playing time.
Tyler Horn
Memphis (TN) Memphis University School
OL ranking: NR

Level of Interest: Medium/High

The Skinny: Horn is a sleeper offensive line prospect who now lists a Hurricane offer. Don't be surprised to see him wind up in this class.
Taurus McKinley
Belle Glade (FL) Glades Central
WR ranking: No. 66

The Skinny: A Cane commitment, McKinley didn't make the trip last weekend but may be given a visit slot this weekend. It's very possible he won't be an official signee on Wednesday as he has a lot of academic work to do in order to qualify. Even if he signs Feb. 7 it's possible he may have to defer his admission.
Shawnbrey McNeal
Dallas (TX) Madison
RB ranking: No. 22
Texas ranking: No. 45

The Skinny: McNeal will use this visit to get an idea of what Miami is all about. Cane coaches will use their time with him to solidify the commitment and make sure he will inking with UM on Wednesday.
Kerry Murphy
Hoover (AL) Hoover
DT ranking: No. 4
Rivals100 ranking: No. 56

Level of Interest: Low/Medium

The Skinny: Randy Shannon will try to convince this Alabama stud defensive tackle that Miami should be his home. It's going to be an uphill battle if UM wants to land Murphy, but there is definitely a chance here. Murphy still has some academic issues to sort through as well.
Brandon Paul
Tallahassee (FL) Lincoln
Athlete ranking: No. 20
Florida ranking: No. 25

Level of Interest: Low

The Skinny: Unless he had a last-minute change of heart, Paul will be on campus this weekend. If he makes the trip the Canes will at least have a last shot to try and convince this stud four-star prospect that Coral Gables should be his home the next few years.
Cannon Smith
Olive Branch (MS) Olive Branch
QB ranking: NR

The Skinny: Even though Smith was offered a visit, it's not expected he will be part of this class.
Martell Webb
Pontiac (MI) Pontiac Northern
TE ranking: 29
Michigan ranking: No. 12

Level of Interest: Low/Medium

The Skinny: The Canes will work hard to try and sway this Michigan commitment to UM during the weekend visit. This would be a major rabbit for Randy Shannon to pull out of the hat if he can work some magic here.
O'Neal Wilder
Carthage (MS) Carthage
WR ranking: NR

The Skinny: This will be a make-or-break visit for Wilder. He is expecting a solid Cane offer on the visit, and the question if it's extended is whether he takes it. This is one of the more interesting situations to watch as the weekend progresses. The Canes obviously feel like they need as many WRs as they can get in this recruiting class.
 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM         #764
[Word oF MouF] 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dam...i already miss college football :(
 02-02-2007, 11:49 PM         #765
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good list on the visitor interest levels rakim
 10 years ago '06        #766
bassy 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,953 | Props total: 19 19
 Black_Deuce said:

fu*kin hater

thats why the north carolina football program sucks megacock

now get your a.ss outta here and go make a north carolina being like that stripper... getting r*ped by the duke athletic team

Damn I ain't even remember this thread.

I posted that sh*t like 3 days ago, you see where you stand to me, right?

Now how the fu*k you gonna call me a hater when I said the team is garbage.
n*gga they just got beat by 40 points.

Oh ain't nobody talking about UNC football, so save that sh*t.

But we all know that Butch Davis got you mad right now.

Oh and you might wanna save those Duke lacrosse jokes for another time.

Because they was hitting alot more last year than the Miami football team (Get it?).
 02-02-2007, 11:59 PM         #767
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bassy said:
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBl ahBlah
*coughs* :rolleyes:

I wonder why were getting so many options at wideout... in one year. I keep on saying it, a big tight end option would give whoever the passer next year is all around good options... because a young passers favorite target is a tight end
 10 years ago '06        #768
bassy 23 heat pts23
space
space
Bassy 1

Miami 0
 02-03-2007, 12:06 AM         #769
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RakimAllahNY said:

Ayo Deuce chill, Bassy is that n*gga
Only cause you my n*gga and I dont want no trouble...
 10 years ago '06        #770
bassy 23 heat pts23
space
space
But you see, Bassy is that n*gga.

lmao

Naw we cool though, but like I said......

At least you got football n*gga!
 02-03-2007, 12:35 AM         #771
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 02-03-2007, 11:28 AM         #772
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 3, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Kayne Farquharson bio

El Camino (Calif.) Junior College WR Kayne Farquharson signed with Miami in December and will be on campus in May after finishing up a couple of classes at Miami-Dade Community College.

While Farquharson is happy to be back in his hometown, perhaps the saddest person to see him leave California was his junior college coach, John Featherstone.

Featherstone has 22 years of coaching experience at the school and has worked with numerous All-Americans and pro players.

Among the pro receivers he's coached are Antonio Chapman, Latario Rachal and Russell Shaw.

"I think Kayne has a chance at the NFL, I really do," Featherstone said. "He's not a real quick guy, is more of a long strider guy, but he has no problem with press coverage because he's a physical player.

"He's not a chest catcher. He's a hand catcher. He'll go up sometimes and catch the ball with one hand ... he does it all. He's a fearless receiver. He's never afraid not to catch a ball. He'll catch over the middle, is a great blocker.

"Does he have the blazing speed? All I can say is he's fast enough to beat you deep. He has deceptive speed."

It was Farquharson's speed ... or a perceived lack of it ... that Featherstone said kept nearby USC from offering him a scholarship.

"(USC coach) Steve Sarkisian was our quarterbacks coach here five years ago," Featherstone said. "He liked Kayne. USC was very interested, they just weren't sure if he was quite fast enough to be a Dwayne Jarrett guy. They wound up not offering, decided not to take a receiver in the class.

"Pete Carroll asked me, `Is he fast enough? He's a long strider.' I said, `He's fast enough.' I think it's a great fit for Miami and for Kayne."

What Farquharson has going for him in addition to his 6-foot-2 height and athelticism is his confidence in his own abilities.

A sample: When asked about a statement made by a CaneSport.com message board poster that Farquharson is already better than any receiver on UM's 2006 roster, Farquharson said, "I have the most respect for the rest of the wide receiver corps, but I'm coming in to dominate. I'm not coming in to be a possession receiver."

Featherstone's take on Farquharson's confidence level: "I've always said there's a fine line between confidence and c*ckiness, and he's much more toward the confident side. I like kids that have a little swagger. There are some kids that have swagger and get in trouble, and some that have swagger and don't get in trouble. And Kayne never gets in trouble. He's one of the nicest and best kids I've had in 22 years. Kayne is such a fun-loving kid."

It was Featherstone that was the first experienced eye to watch Farquharson play football –- Farquharson had never played high school ball before showing up at the school.

"I can tell after one or two days what potentially a guy has as an athlete," Featherstone said. "What I liked about Kayne is he had a nice long stride and he caught everything with his hands."

As a freshman Farquharson caught 23 passes for over 500 yards with six touchdowns. He also returned a punt 60 yards for a score and scored on a reverse.

This year he had 51 catches for 904 yards and nine touchdowns.

"He led by example," Featherstone said. "He is a tremendous worker, has a great work ethic. He's real good at working hard in the weight room, in practice.

"We ran the ball more this year than the year before. As a freshman he had an opportunity to do more because we threw more. Our quarterback that year went to Oregon State. Our quarterback this year was just learning the game. With the quarterback we had the year before, Kayne would have caught about 80 balls this year."
 02-03-2007, 11:30 AM         #773
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
February 2, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Lee Chambers bioVideo highlights

Coffeeville (MS) High School RB Lee Chambers is down to a final three of Miami, Alabama and Southern Miss.

And he says one school is the frontrunner.

"Miami has a slight lead," he said. "On my visit [last weekend] I had a great time. I fit in real well. It's the U. Everyone loves the U. It's all about the U. I loved it down there. It just felt like a great fit for me."

Asked whether, if Signing Day were today, he would be inking with the Canes, Chambers says, "[The lead] is not big enough for me to sign with them right now."

Still, UM can thank head coach Randy Shannon for their current status as the team to beat.

Shannon took an in-home visit with the Chambers family that went extremely well earlier this week.

"It went great," said Chambers, a 5-foot-11, 189-pounder with 4.43-second speed. "All the head coaches that have made in-home visits, I've never seen my mom just click and be able to talk with a coach like she did with him.

"Coach Shannon was talking about Miami, how I fit in, that it's not what people are always saying about it -- it's a private school in Coral Gables. He said they're looking for a 1-2 punch at the running back spot -– a speed back and a power back. Javarris [James] is a great back and strong, but they want a back with breakaway speed and he said I can be that back. He sees me as an all-purpose back."

How much of an impact will mom have on Chambers' final decision?

"She has a great deal of impact," he said. "She's not behind any one school, though. She said she wants me to go wherever the best is for me."

Chambers says he is waiting until signing day to announce a decision. An 8 a.m. press conference is tentatively scheduled.

"There's going to be a lot of newspapers at my school -- we're having a little press conference set up," Chambers said.
 02-03-2007, 11:30 AM         #774
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Seems like most the big time Miami recievers are always burners

will be interesting to see some possesion recievers for once
 10 years ago '06        #775
FullTimeHustla 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$1,642 | Props total: 1 1
hopefully coach shannon can close the deal on allen baily
 02-03-2007, 12:09 PM         #776
dade4sho 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
any news on how the visits went ?
 10 years ago '05        #777
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
its probably too early for any news on the visits.
 10 years ago '06        #778
FullTimeHustla 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$1,642 | Props total: 1 1
Another Cane In The Hall Of Fame
Alot More To Come:applause:
 02-03-2007, 03:39 PM         #779
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im hearing that Bailey is going to be a cane, hes the monster from Georgia, everyone is saying hes def a Cane. Hopefully there right.
 02-03-2007, 03:41 PM         #780
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Coaching Players For Life

By George F. Will
Sunday, February 4, 2007; Page B07

MIAMI -- Occasionally -- very occasionally -- a football person says something that punctures the fog of George Patton-style rhetoric that football people emit. Before a Super Bowl in the 1970s (the MCMLXXs, for those of you in a Super Bowl frame of mind), Dallas Cowboys running back Duane Thomas asked a subversive question about the game: "If it's the ultimate, how come they're playing it again next year?"

But most football people, and especially football coaches, are of the "Football Is Not a Matter of Life and death -- It's More Important Than That" school of thought. However, when Randy Shannon, recently named head coach of the University of Miami Hurricanes, says that football can be a matter of life and death, that is not hyperbole, it is autobiography.

Will We Lose in the Stem Cell Race?
» Joseph Fuller and Brock Reeve | U.S. drug and biotech companies are world leaders -- but so were auto and consumer electronics firms not long ago.

* Colbert I. King: D.C. Schools Stay the Same
* Panetta and Watkins: Saving the Oceans
* Bench Conference: The Libby Trial, Two Weeks In

OPINIONS: Think Tank Town | On Faith | PostGlobal

Save & Share Article What's This?
Digg
Google

del.icio.us
Yahoo!

Reddit
Facebook

Shannon, 40, grew up in Miami's Liberty City, which is what sociologists and other refined thinkers call a challenging urban environment. Shannon was 3 when his father was murdered by one of his friends. "They had an argument," Shannon says matter-of-factly. Two of Shannon's brothers and a sister died, from cocaine and AIDS. By age 16, Shannon was a father. He could easily have been on a path to a prison or a cemetery. Instead, because of football, he went to the University of Miami and became the first member of his family to earn a college degree.

After a brief NFL career with the Cowboys, he went into coaching, and now he is hopscotching around the country recruiting high school seniors, many of whom think college football is a certain path to the NFL. "That," says Shannon, "is the mentality that has to change." Fewer than 2 percent of even Division I college football players will have NFL careers, and most of those who do will be out of the game by the time they are 30 -- the average NFL career lasts less than four years.

The Post's Amy Shipley reports that the University of Miami has more players -- 42 -- on NFL rosters than any other school. Miami's main rival -- the Florida State Seminoles (a T-shirt favored by Miami students reads: "I think, therefore I am not a 'Nole") -- is second with 41. The University of Florida ranks seventh with 35. But in the past 10 years, those three teams have had, combined, more than 1,000 players, all of them exceptional athletes but most of them not of NFL caliber. Which is why Shannon says that when visiting the home of a potential recruit, "I talk to the parents about everything but football."

On a recent day, Shannon was in the Palm Beach area recruiting a wide receiver and then was off to Omaha to make sure that a very large lineman was still eager to be a Hurricane.

Because South Florida is the incubator of so much high school talent (skill positions, Shannon says; for linemen, look to the Midwest, hence the Nebraska trip), during the off-season many NFL players come home to train at the University of Miami's facilities. Shannon says his players "see the fancy cars, the gold chains," so as he takes over Miami's football program, he plans to "come in with a stern attitude."

Stern adults got Shannon to the peak of his profession at age 40. A fourth-grade teacher told him, "You're very smart -- don't let anyone tell you different." A fifth-grade teacher, disapproving his choice of clothes one day, said, "Don't ever come to school like that again." When he was in junior high school, his football coach took the team to play a team in a juvenile detention center, a sobering experience.

Shannon's rules for his players include: If you miss a class, you don't start the next game. Fall below a certain grade-point average, you can't set foot off campus. A conservatively dressed man, with the elegant hands of a surgeon or pianist, Shannon wants his players to learn "how to respect life," so when "they leave the university and the football program, they will go with confidence." They will go, all of them, having taken a public speaking course.

Duffy Daugherty, who coached Michigan State from 1954 through 1972, was an aphorist ("Football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.") and a realist. Because of alumni demands for football perfection, Daugherty said: "A football coach's main problem is that he is responsible to irresponsible people." Shannon, who like 80 percent of his players is African American, feels responsible to, and for, them.

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
26 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Plano High School Curriculum: Beer Pong & Algebra Teacher Puzzy
92 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside The Rothschild Conspiracy explained in 4 minutes
87 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
370 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Envy talks about the difference between Diddy and 50 Cent (Drink Cha..
42 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
73 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
160 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Short niggas take a L. What else is new?
148 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy