Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
57 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
76 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He got three girlfriends, could you handle that?
88 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uruguay has been hit by the Instathot nation
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #7761
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Harris Speaks on Team Unity, Maturity
Aug. 6, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Jacory Harris speaks on Media Day.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- People can talk about expectations all day when it comes to the University of Miami football team. They are huge. There is no more, ‘we’re young,’ talk anywhere around campus. But there is a reality to the expectations of this team. The expectations go as far as quarterback Jacory Harris is on the field.

After missing Spring practice, Harris is back with his team and expected to be among the nation’s elite quarterbacks. And while the opinions may differ as to how missing the Spring will translate to Fall practice and into the season, there is only one opinion that matters – Randy Shannon’s.

And Shannon believes that missing the Spring was actually a good thing for Harris. Missing the Spring forced Harris to watch from the sideline, forced him to spend more time with offensive coordinator Mark Whipple, forced him to watch more film and forced him to understand the mistakes he was making himself last season.

Harris was unable to throw the ball so he had to stay in the game in other ways. The main way according to the Shannon was footwork. Harris couldn’t throw so he was constantly doing three, five and seven step drops, working on play action passes and working on bootlegs.

The footwork, according to Shannon, will pay dividends on the field this year. And Harris feels that is what kept him active in football and believes it will make a difference as well.

“You can never have enough work, so of course, I had to work on my feetwork because I was limited to basically that so that really helped me this Spring because today I kind of felt good, I kind of felt like I never left the field. Feetwork has a lot to do with delivering the ball, getting it to your receivers and it helps you a lot,” Harris said.

Along with working on his footwork which will help him in delivering the ball accurately and on time, he learned a lot watching from the sideline because it allowed him to breakdown the plays while watching his teammates in action.

“I would say with the plays developing on the sideline, it slowed everything down for me. I am able now to look at plays, I understand our whole playbook, I know everything that we have to accomplish with certain plays, what reads are going to be there against what coverages, so now it’s like slower for me. I look at it and I see this coverage developing and I can see the play, I can see what receiver is going to be open and now it’s just a matter of me getting the ball there,” Harris said.

The importance in that is huge because Harris did struggle at times trying to fit his passes into spaces that didn’t exist. In turn, while he threw 24 touchdowns and for over 3,300 yards, he still threw 17 interceptions which probably could have been more if not for a number of what appeared to be easy interceptions having been dropped by opponents.

Regardless, 17 interceptions is far too many for a team that has goals that include winning the ACC Championship and competing for a National Championship.

“I am very confident that we’ll make those adjustments. My teammates, the coaching staff, everybody in this organization have a lot of faith in me to do that. They are helping me and I am helping them so we’re going to do whatever is possible to lower those interceptions, lower any mistakes that we have. I found out yesterday that the University of Miami only lost four fumbles last year. That’s a turnover. That’s the lowest in UM history. That’s a good positive there so as long as we cut the interceptions in half and if we could cut turnovers in half, basically we’ll be a better team,” Harris said.

He clearly didn’t look like he missed a beat though on the first day of practice.

“It was great having Jacory back. He’s a laid back, cool guy. He’s the captain of the offense and it’s great to see him. Jacory looked like Jacory. He hasn’t lost a step. He’s still tight on his game,” running back Mike James said.

After going 9-4, if the ‘Canes can cut their turnovers, there is no doubt the team will win more games. How many more though is yet to be determined, but when a quarterback throws as many interceptions as Harris did last year, they can be huge momentum swingers that a team can’t recover from.

Just getting back on the field though is something big for Harris and huge for the team.

“I can’t tell you how awesome it feels to be back on the field. That’s why I am dressed in my uniform to show you guys I am ready to step on the field right now and ready to play a game,” Harris said. “Our team is really unified right now. We just want to take this one step at a time.”

Part of making that step go forward is worrying about the next day, the next game, not anything beyond. That goes hand in hand with maturity, something the team has developed with the growth of its players.

“If we worry about the next day, if we worry about tomorrow. If we worry about what we have to do tomorrow in camp and just not go through the motions, finish, have fun, don’t never take anything too serious to where it’s affecting you on the field, just go out there and have fun, do everything right, do what the coaches tell you because they’re only trying to help you and that will end up with a successful season,” Harris said.

And that includes not worrying about the team’s record, rankings, winning and ACC Championship or National Championship – simply going out to play.

“I am not thinking about that (ACC Championship, National Championship) right now,” Harris said.

But it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have huge expectations. It doesn’t mean that he doesn’t like the pressure that comes with playing for the University of Miami, the expectations that fans have, even when they are unreasonable as expecting a National Championship three years ago when the team was filled with freshmen.

Harris has the right perspective on the matter though. He likes it. This is a quarterback that was 30-0 as a starter in high school, won two state titles and a national title before headlining the Class of 2008. Winning is all he has ever known. Winning is all he has ever been about and winning is something he expects from himself and his teammates.

“It’s always fair. That’s a part of being at the University of Miami. Every year you got to go 12-0. That’s basically what it is. It may not happen like that, but at the beginning of the season, no matter what your preseason ranking is, no matter what goes down, how many players on the team, you could have 30 players on the team, they still want you to go 12-0. It’s something that you got to deal with at the University of Miami and if you’re not prepared for it you shouldn’t came to this place,” Harris said.

However, it’s not a winning at all costs the way it may have been a couple of decades ago where rule breaking was the norm. The players want their coach to be held in the highest regard, not just in terms of wins and losses, but in the realm of not being considered a Thug “U” as Miami has been characterized in the past by national media outlets.

“We do not want to mess up coach Shannon’s image by tarnishing the name of the University of Miami program. We don’t want to do anything like that because we’re not kids that were raised doing things that way. Some of us may have broken pasts, but at the same time we understand we’re in college now, we’re grown men, we can’t do the things that we once did in high school or middle school. We have to come and be mature young adults and that’s the approach that everybody is taking,” Harris said.

Those comments alone show the maturity and growth of this team and prove that what Shannon has been preaching has been working, that Shannon’s plan is on course no matter what the naysayers have said.

And that’s what the ‘Canes want to prove to the nation in 2010.

“We just want to take it one game at a time and that’s going to be our mentality throughout the season,” Harris said.
 6 years ago '04        #7762
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DT Forston Ready For Healthy Season
Aug. 6, 2010

By: David Lake

Marcus Forston
CORAL GABLES, Fla -- After sustaining a nagging shoulder injury against Florida State in the season opener last year, Miami defensive tackle Marcus Forston couldn’t play up to his full potential.

Forston (6-2, 305) tried to f!ght his way through the injury, playing against Georgia Tech and Oklahoma, before he shut down his season for a medical redshirt.

The injury hampered Forston last year to the point where he did not record a single tackle in the three games he played.

Now Forston is fully healthy and ready for the season to start so he can pick up where he left off as a first team freshman all-american.

“This is one of the best offseasons I’ve had since I’ve been here,” Forston said. “I got that bond with the players and even with myself. I had to put it on myself that I could do it and that I can train hard and give everything I got.”

“Whatever the team needs me to do, that is what I am going to do. Whether that is starting or coming in on third downs or coming in on goal lines or run stop or pass rush. I am ready to do anything.”

Forston, a redshirt sophomore, was one of the most highly touted prospects in Miami No. 1 ranked recruiting class of 2008. As a true freshman in 2008, Forston recorded 18 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and nine quarterback pressures.

This offseason, Forston has worked hard to improve on raw ability he showed as a freshman and his teammates have taken notice.

“He is the type of guy that can bring a lot to the table as a defensive tackle. He is a momentum changer," cornerback Brandon Harris said. "He can make big plays in the running game and he is a great pass rusher. A lot of people don’t realize how much energy he brings to the defense. He runs around a lot and gets everybody fired up. He is one of those guys that your defense can rally around.”

A healthy Forston also means fresh legs for a deep defensive tackle rotation.

“He is a monster,” junior defensive end Andrew Smith said of Forston. “He can do it all from stopping the run to rushing the passer. He is tough for any offensive lineman to stop and he brings more depth to the defensive line.”

The protocol for every player who comes off injury under coach Randy Shannon is for that player to start at the bottom of the depth chart and work his way up. Forston says having to work his way up from the bottom is just more motivation each day in practice.

“Yeah that is motivation,” Forston said. “He wants to get out what he sees in me that I don’t see. I see it now and my freshman and sophomore year, sometimes I didn’t see it. Right now I see it with this team and I have looked myself in the mirror and I know what I have to do for this team to help us win.”

Forston admits that it has been a tough adjustment going from the nations No. 1 ranked high school team in the country and winning every game for two years to having to grow into being a successful college team at Miami.

He does, however, see a lot of similarities to the way his Northwestern team jelled and came together in their third year to the way Miami is shaping up going into this season.

“It was tough, especially when you are a competitor and coming from a high school that wins every week,” Forston said. “We weren’t winning in our ninth and tenth grade year though and when everybody got used to the Northwestern program and we came together as a team and made that bond, that is when things got going and that is the same thing now.”
 6 years ago '04        #7763
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Top 5 Position Battles Heading Into Fall Practice
Aug. 5, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Damien Berry.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes begin fall practices today as they prepare for the 2010 season, which begins September 2 against Florida A&M.

Randy Shannon’s squad enters the 2010 campaign with high expectations after a 9-4 season a year ago as a number of key players return including QB Jacory Harris, who is 10-5 as a starter.

Senior DE Allen Bailey, junior CB Brandon Harris, and senior K Matt Bosher were named to the preseason All-ACC team.

A number of players including safeties Vaughn Telemaque and Ray Ray Armstrong are poised for breakout season. Also, senior RB Damien Berry will get the first crack at being the team’s starter after rushing for 616 yards and a team-high eight touchdowns while averaging 6.6 yards a carry last season in surprising fashion.

The Hurricanes are welcoming back DE Adewale Ojomo (jaw), DT Marcus Forston (shoulder), TE Richard Gordon, and DB Ryan Hill (shoulder), who missed the majority of last season due to injuries.

Senior RB Graig Cooper’s 2,218 rushing yards ranks fifth on UM’s all-time list. Cooper tore his ACL in the loss to Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl, but is expected to return to the team this season as he has been busy with rehabilitating in the off-season.

While the team returns a number of players in the off-season, there are some players, who will not be back this season as WR Thearon Collier (44 receptions, 574 yards, and 5 total TDs) was dismissed from the team by Shannon due to disciplinary action. DE Steven Wesley (academics) was also dismissed in the past week. LB Arthur Brown left the program as did OL Ian Symonette.

With practice beginning today, let’s take a look at the top five position battles heading into fall camp:

1. Middle Linebacker – Colin McCarthy, Kylan Robinson, Shayon Green, and Kevin Nelson

McCarthy has the most experience of the group, but has not played in the middle. Shannon has typically moved seniors to the middle from the outside in all three years he has been the head coach. If McCarthy does move to middle linebacker, Ramon Buchanan and Jordan Futch will be in a battle on the outside. Robinson was the defense’s most improved player in the spring and left the spring as the top MLB on the depth chart, but he has just four career tackles to his name. Green and Nelson have yet to play in a game at UM, which makes them longshots.

2. Right Defensive End – Adewale Ojomo, Marcus Robinson, Olivier Vernon, Andrew Smith, and Dyron Dye

Ojomo has the chance to be an impact player at UM as he’s showed flashes in 2008, his first season. He also provides the defense with plenty of energy, something this team needs, particularly on defense. Robinson was plagued by a hamstring last season, which affected his production, but when healthy, he can be a very good pass rusher. Vernon has the potential to be a solid all-round end. Smith quietly earned valuable playing time last season whereas Dye has a lot of ground to make up after redshirting in 2009.

3. Tight End – Richard Gordon, Chase Ford, and Billy Sanders.

Gordon is expected to be the starter based on seniority from being in the program since 2006, but has just four career catches. Ford comes to the team from Kilgore (Texas) Junior College and should make an immediate impact as a solid pass-catcher. Sanders showed he’s capable of making catches in the spring game, but isn’t likely to be counted on as the primary tight end.

4. Nickel Back – Ryan Hill, Jared Campbell, Brandon McGee, Cory Nelms, and Jamal Reid.

Campbell started six games at safety last season, but is expected to take a back seat to Telemaque and Armstrong as the two are expected to have breakout seasons. Campbell, a senior, has shown he is a good tackler and can play physical, however, his speed could hold him back at being a natural tackler. Hill has not lived up to the expectations as a high-rated recruit since arriving on campus in 2006, but has one final go-around to end his career on a positive note. McGee is one of the fastest players on the team, but needs to play with confidence. Nelms, a former walk-on, is a key contributor on special teams and is trying to earn playing time on the defense.

5. Running Back – Damien Berry, Graig Cooper, Mike James, Lee Chambers, Lamar Miller, and Storm Johnson

Berry is expected to get the first crack as the starter, as he should. But the coaching staff has always given Cooper plenty of carries in his career (430 to be exact) although he has been far from elite, which makes for an interesting situation at running back in terms of how the carries on gameday will be split up. James and Chambers have shown flashes to keep their names in the mix although James’ spring game performance and Chambers sub-par performance against Florida A&M last season leave plenty to be desired. The most intriguing player in the group is Lamar Miller, who possesses outstanding game-breaking speed. The coaches held him back last season redshirting him, but hopefully he receives ample carries because he can be a difference-maker. Johnson has a bright future, but carries will be hard to come by unless injuries happen.
 6 years ago '04        #7764
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
RB Johnson: I'm Scared Of My Own Ability Right Now
Aug. 7, 2010

Storm Johnson
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Freshman running back Storm Johnson is definitely aware of how talented the deep Miami backfield is.

But Johnson understands that talent and depth brings out the best of the group every day in practice and that makes everybody better.

Each rep in practices is a proving ground for the running backs and the top back of the group will be that much better because he has been pushed by the players behind him.

“It is competitive because everybody is good at what they do," Johnson said. "We push each other every day, so I think it is good to have all this talent at running back because every day you have to outdo somebody that is having a good day.”

Johnson says the competition at running back has pushed his game to new heights.

“I have evolved my game a lot,” Johnson said. “These guys have helped me push my game to a new level. I am scared of my own ability right now. I have been getting after it with the help of these guys pushing me.”

With so many running backs able to carry the load and not many carries to go around, Johnson says he is not concerned with his standing on the depth chart right now or if he will get any carries this season. Johnson is focused on getting through fall camp competing everyday and earning playing time.

“That is what I am working for now,” Johnson said. “I am not really sure if I will get playing time. Nobody is really sure who the starter is right now. This camp is going to decide all of that. I am going to work hard to be a starter. My focus right now is to be a starter.”

“I have never thought about redshirting.”

During Miami’s open practice on Saturday, Johnson showed what he can bring to the UM offense by reeling off a 45-yard touchdown run and showed off his 4.3 speed in the 40.

“I am just more experienced right now with everything like what the plays are, what holes I need to hit, and how to cut.”

When Johnson enrolled early at Miami earlier this year in the spring, he admitted that learning all the plays of the playbook was a little overwhelming, but now after a summer of learning and studying, he feels comfortable with the UM offense.

“I do feel comfortable with it right now,” Johnson said. “I probably know about 95 percent of it.”

This offseason, Johnson bulked up to 221 pounds after enrolling at 215 pounds in the spring. With the added weight, Johnson has never felt better physically.

“I really feel good right now,” Johnson said. “It helps with the contact and the hitting and stuff like that.”

Johnson rushed for 1,937 yards and 31 touchdowns last year at Loganville (GA) High School. He was ranked the No. 22 recruit in the country by ESPN.
 6 years ago '04        #7765
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/7
Aug. 7, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Lamar Miller
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes held their third practice of the fall on Saturday morning with nearly 1,500 fans in attendance as the team was in shoulder pads for the first time.

"It was great to see the fans come out," coach Randy Shannon said. "It was an opportunity for anyone who bought season tickets to come out and watch the University of Miami practice. I thought it was very crisp, very sharp. There were some big plays on both offense and defense."

Red zone offense was one of the key areas of focus at practice. Quarterback Jacory Harris did a nice job of finding open guys during this time. Tempo drills were also stressed.

Shannon addressed the media for the first time since a report came out about the university, including the football program, is being investigated by the NCAA for recruiting violations, specifically with text messaging recruits, which is not allowed by the NCAA.

Shannon stated: "I know you guys have heard about the reports of the NCAA investigating us about some potential problems that we have. We are certainly going to cooperate with the NCAA in looking forward into those things and it's a process that you have to go through. From that point, any other questions or concerns you may have, you can refer those to athletic director Kirby Hocutt and he will answer all of those questions."

News & Notes

• The first team offense was as follows: QB Jacory Harris, RB Mike James/Damien Berry/Lamar Miller, FB Patrick Hill, TE Richard Gordon, WR Leonard Hankerson, WR LaRon Byrd, LT Orlando Franklin, LG Harland Gunn, C Tyler Horn, RG Brandon Washington, RT Joel Figueroa.

• The second team offense was as follows: QB Alonzo Highsmith (he's going by Alonzo now instead of A.J.), RB Lee Chambers/Storm Johnson, FB John Calhoun, TE Billy Sanders/Chase Ford/Asante Cleveland, WR Travis Benjamin, WR Aldarius Johnson, LT Jermaine Johnson, LG Jared Wheeler, C Shane McDermott, RG Malcolm Bunche, RT Seantrel Henderson. Note: Cory White also received reps at LT and Johnson moved to RT and Brandon Linder received reps at RG.

• The first team defense was as follows: DE Allen Bailey, DT Josh Holmes, DT Micanor Regis, DE Andrew Smith, WLB Colin McCarthy, MLB Kylan Robinson, SLB Sean Spence, CB Brandon Harris, CB DeMarcus Van Dyke, S JoJo Nicolas, S Vaughn Telemaque.

• The second team defense was as follows: DE Dyron Dye, DT Curtis Porter, DT Jeffrey Brown, DE Olivier Vernon, SLB James Gaines, MLB Kevin Nelson, WLB, Tyrone Cornileus, CB Brandon McGee, CB Keion Payne, S Ray Ray Armstrong, S Kacy Rodgers.

• The third team defense was as follows: DE Adwale Ojomo, DT Marcus Forston, DT Luther Robinson, SLB Ramon Buchanan, MLB Shayon Green, WLB Travis Williams, CB Devont'a Davis, S Jared Campbell.

• Freshman TE Asante Cleveland had a very good day. Shannon said: "I was very excited about Asante Cleveland for learning a lot of things and improving every day. The big catch he made with three people around him was unbelievable.

• S JoJo Nicolas has been the first-team safety during the first three days of practice alongside Vaughn Telemaque. Nicolas made a great play intercepting a pass intended for Leonard Hankerson that Nicolas out-muscled Hankerson on the play. "He had a big play on Leonard Hankerson, which was huge," Shannon said. On the sideline, Nicolas was helped freshman Kacy Rodgers on reading a play, which showed Nicolas' leadership abilities.

• CB DeMarcus Van Dyke and S Ray Ray Armstong also recorded interceptions during practice. Van Dyke made a nice grab cutting in front of the receiver whereas Armstrong caught a floater by Spencer Whipple.

• WRs Leonard Hankerson, Travis Benjamin, LaRon Byrd, Aldarius Johnson, and Tommy Streeter all had nice days. Hankerson was great in the redzone coming down with tough catches, Benjamin had a very impressive catch on the sideline with Van Dyke closely guarding him, Byrd looked good positioning his body in front of the defensive back, Johnson had two deep catches and looks to be a step faster than a year ago, and Streeter battled through a tough start to practice to make a couple nice grabs.

• RB Mike James was first on the depth chart today, but Damien Berry and Lamar Miller also received reps with the first unit. Berry, Miller, and Storm Johnson all had big runs in practice as did Lee Chambers, who is sometimes the forgotten man of the group.

• Freshman OL Seantrel Henderson is at his best while run blocking during the inside run drills at practice. Henderson does need to work on his pass blocking at this point and was struggling at times with the savvy moves DE Allen Bailey threw at him at times.

• Freshman TE Clive Walford has impressed Shannon with his athleticism despite being a bit raw as a player. Walford has gotten in some qualities reps and Shannon stated that one freshman tight end will play this year. "We got Richard (Gordon) and Billy (Sanders), you can't go through a season with just two tight ends," Shannon said.

• With Thearon Collier (two punt return TDs in 2009) leaving the program, Miami will look for a new punt returner. Mike James, Graig Cooper, Darion Hall, Brandon McGee, Travis Benjamin, and Eduardo Clements all fielded punts during practice.

Did Not Practice

• DB Jamal Reid and OL Ben Jones continue to miss fall camp due to academics. Shannon said: "The one thing about me, it is not lip service, but we really preach academics around here. Those guys are working to finish up some stuff and they have finals. I can't put those guys in situations and put them out here when they need to be studying for finals." Shannon added that he does not feel these players' academic standing is not in jeopardy for the season.

• Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple was not at practice. He was a roommate of Chris Berman, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame today and Whipple attended the ceremony. Whipple will be back for Sunday's practice.

• CB Ryan Hill did not practice as his grandmother passed away and left after Friday's practice. Hill is expected to be back later tonight. "His family knows that we are supporting him, it is a tough time for him," Shannon said.

• LB Jordan Futch continues to rehab and worked out on his own with a trainer during practice while in shoulder pads.

• RB Graig Cooper (ACL recovery) is limited and did not go through team drills. WR Davon Johnson (right leg) and OL Jermaine Barton (right leg) are out.

Next Practice

The Hurricanes resume practice Sunday afternoon.
 6 years ago '04        #7766
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
LB Robinson Confident At MLB
Aug. 7, 2010

Kylan Robinson
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- It took a few years of learning a new position, but the light has finally turned on for fifth year senior linebacker Kylan Robinson.

After being switched from running back two seasons ago, Robinson says he finally felt comfortable with the demands of the linebacker position at the end of the 2009 season.

Once the 2009 season ended, Robinson, who has primarily played on special teams and estimates he has played two snaps at linebacker during his UM career, vowed in his own mind to do whatever it took to get on the field for the 2010 season.

“I knew that I was working hard and even though I wasn’t playing, I knew things would come together,” Robinson said.

After a strong month of spring football that impressed all the UM coaches, Robinson is now the favorite to be Miami’s starting middle linebacker this year.

“My confidence just shot up with me getting the opportunity to start in the spring,” Robinson said. “Now I am really hoping to carry that over into the season. It is a matter of time before I can show the world what I can do and the talents I have.”

Robinson admits that the move from running back to linebacker was a tough transition, but he worked his way through it and now he feels totally confident on defense.

“At first it was rough, but I have learned that it is all the small things that can make the big picture come together,” Robinson said. “I had to learn about all the little things it takes to be a linebacker compared to being a running back. I learned to look for tips from the offensive linemen, the schemes of the offenses, what route combinations happen in certain packages. Those were the things I really had to get a better grasp of.”

Robinson is now confident to the point in knowing his responsibilities that he feels comfortable making the pre-snap reads and checks required of a middle linebacker.

“Before I really knew the playbook, I was a little hesitant because I didn’t know if I was going to be wrong or right,” Robinson said. “Now though I am confident that if I make the checks, then all the guys are going to play with that same call. If I am on the same page as everybody else then that is good.”

This summer, Robinson picked the brain of former UM great Jonathan Vilma and learned the finer points of being a UM middle linebacker.

“Vilma came in this summer and I learned a lot from him with technique and with the leadership role and working hard,” Robinson said.

Robinson’s teammates have seen a change in him this offseason and are excited to see his hard work pay off this year.

“He has been working hard in the offseason with putting on some size,” linebacker Colin McCarthy said. “He is realizing that working in the middle is going to be physical. He is watching a lot of film and trying to take his game to the next level. It is his last season and he wants to play. He is taking full advantage of his opportunity.”

Robinson has come a long way since he made the position switch from running back to linebacker two years ago and now he is ready to make a significant impact for Miami in his final year of eligibility.

“I think it is my job to lose and I just need to keep my confidence high and keep learning and getting better,” Robinson said. “It has been a goal of mine for two years and to finally get an opportunity to do that would mean a lot to me.”
 6 years ago '04        #7767
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Communication is Key Says WR Benjamin
Aug. 7, 2010

Travis Benjamin.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Big plays, big plays, big plays. That’s what helped make Miami, well – Miami. The Hurricanes ability to strike big and strike quickly is what made Miami so dangerous. It’s what separated Miami from other teams. The ability to score in one play, with so many drives coming in less than two minutes, the home run threat is what the ‘Canes were about on offense.

That threat has returned as the ‘Canes were able to strike for big plays offensively quite often last season as they went 9-4.

Now, it’s time to take it to another level. With a group of mature receivers and Jacory Harris at quarterback, big plays are expected a lot and the guy who is expected to make a majority of them, particularly in the passing game, is speed demon Travis Benjamin.

He was the designated deep threat last season and he made teams pay numerous times from Florida State to Clemson to Wake Forest, Benjamin had the ability to get behind defensive backs constantly. As long as the ball was there, he made the grab and took it the distance.

But it’s not about individual goals for Benjamin. It’s all about team goals, which is the sentiment throughout the locker room. With team success though, individual success will be there as well. Benjamin is coming off a strong sophomore campaign as he finished with 29 catches for 501 yards and four touchdowns.

“Just to get better from last season,” Benjamin says of personal goals. “A successful season is a season better than the year before that and a better than the year before that. It seems like every year we’re winning two games more so a successful season would be two games more and hopefully all the wins which we didn’t do last year.”

However, 11 wins is not what the ultimate goal is for Benjamin. He speaks of winning every game if the ‘Canes do what they are supposed to do in his mind.

“If we take the games one by one, eventually we’ll win them all and get the ACC Championship. And the ACC Championship will hopefully lead to a BCS game,” Benjamin said.

And the key to winning each game according to Benjamin is communication. A team that communicates according to Benjamin, wins. It’s impossible to dispute that.

“If everybody focuses and plays as one, like no outsiders allowed, everybody communicating, good communication team is a team that wins,” Benjamin said. “We take it as a process, take every game one by one and do the things we need to do on the offensive side of the ball, special teams and defense, I think we’ll come out pretty good.”

With a big group of mature receivers, Benjamin might not catch more passes, but he may still have gotten better. The main reason would be the way the receivers rotate. There is no telling what the rotation will be this year, but Benjamin says it won’t affect him

“I’m used to it. I’ve been doing it since my freshman year so if I see someone coming in to get me out of the game, I know they are coming in to make a play even though we stay fresh, it’s a good part on our system,” Benjamin said.

Benjamin says he’s up to 175 pounds and looks bigger, clearly showing the work that has been put in is paying off.

“The receivers go out there everyday on our own and catch like between 100-150 balls a day and we got a route tree system where we just go out there and just run routes all day,” Benjamin said.
 6 years ago '04        #7768
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
cant fukkin wait

just got my tix to game 1....since the game will be over by halftime, i can spend the second half hollerin @ the famu dance team
 6 years ago '07        #7769
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
ill be down for the usf game

thinkin bout commin for the Va Tech gm
 6 years ago '05        #7770
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 madness said:
cant fukkin wait

just got my tix to game 1....since the game will be over by halftime, i can spend the second half hollerin @ the famu dance team
cheah - its gonna be like the famu game for me last yr

where i was so drunk i dont even remember what the f**k happend, had to watch espn360 replay the next day to refresh my memory

first tailgate of the year.... ima be gooone
 6 years ago '06        #7771
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,660 | Props total: 12161 12161
im going to the FAM u game too

let me know before hand and it will meet up and say whats up... tellgate and shyt
 6 years ago '05        #7772
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
where yall sittin, im sitting opposite endzone of the student section - general admission season ticket holders

and heres a beastly video to hold us over

[video - click to view]

6 years ago '04        #7773
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,795 | Props total: 1400 1400
 Deeangoe said:
where yall sittin, im sitting opposite endzone of the student section - general admission season ticket holders

and heres a beastly video to hold us over

man that s**t had me about to put on my gameday gear and just sit my a.ss down til gameday come.
 6 years ago '07        #7774
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
if that sean spence shows up
 6 years ago '08        #7775
primetime 60 heat pts60
space
space
$21,342 | Props total: 94 94
sean spence the next great LB from the U :iagree:
 6 years ago '04        #7776
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Communication is Key Says WR Benjamin
Aug. 7, 2010

Travis Benjamin.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Big plays, big plays, big plays. That’s what helped make Miami, well – Miami. The Hurricanes ability to strike big and strike quickly is what made Miami so dangerous. It’s what separated Miami from other teams. The ability to score in one play, with so many drives coming in less than two minutes, the home run threat is what the ‘Canes were about on offense.

That threat has returned as the ‘Canes were able to strike for big plays offensively quite often last season as they went 9-4.

Now, it’s time to take it to another level. With a group of mature receivers and Jacory Harris at quarterback, big plays are expected a lot and the guy who is expected to make a majority of them, particularly in the passing game, is speed demon Travis Benjamin.

He was the designated deep threat last season and he made teams pay numerous times from Florida State to Clemson to Wake Forest, Benjamin had the ability to get behind defensive backs constantly. As long as the ball was there, he made the grab and took it the distance.

But it’s not about individual goals for Benjamin. It’s all about team goals, which is the sentiment throughout the locker room. With team success though, individual success will be there as well. Benjamin is coming off a strong sophomore campaign as he finished with 29 catches for 501 yards and four touchdowns.

“Just to get better from last season,” Benjamin says of personal goals. “A successful season is a season better than the year before that and a better than the year before that. It seems like every year we’re winning two games more so a successful season would be two games more and hopefully all the wins which we didn’t do last year.”

However, 11 wins is not what the ultimate goal is for Benjamin. He speaks of winning every game if the ‘Canes do what they are supposed to do in his mind.

“If we take the games one by one, eventually we’ll win them all and get the ACC Championship. And the ACC Championship will hopefully lead to a BCS game,” Benjamin said.

And the key to winning each game according to Benjamin is communication. A team that communicates according to Benjamin, wins. It’s impossible to dispute that.

“If everybody focuses and plays as one, like no outsiders allowed, everybody communicating, good communication team is a team that wins,” Benjamin said. “We take it as a process, take every game one by one and do the things we need to do on the offensive side of the ball, special teams and defense, I think we’ll come out pretty good.”

With a big group of mature receivers, Benjamin might not catch more passes, but he may still have gotten better. The main reason would be the way the receivers rotate. There is no telling what the rotation will be this year, but Benjamin says it won’t affect him

“I’m used to it. I’ve been doing it since my freshman year so if I see someone coming in to get me out of the game, I know they are coming in to make a play even though we stay fresh, it’s a good part on our system,” Benjamin said.

Benjamin says he’s up to 175 pounds and looks bigger, clearly showing the work that has been put in is paying off.

“The receivers go out there everyday on our own and catch like between 100-150 balls a day and we got a route tree system where we just go out there and just run routes all day,” Benjamin said.
 6 years ago '04        #7777
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/8
Aug. 8, 2010

Allen Hurns
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami wrapped up their fourth practice of fall camp Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes practiced in shells on Sunday during a light rain. Coach Randy Shannon said practicing in the rain can be a positive for preparing the team to play in all conditions.

“It is good that you have little distractions and this could be a little distraction with the rain today and the ball being on the ground and slippery. These guys were really focused today and it was an opportunity for us to get some practice on it. In the rain teams tend to get lazy and they didn’t.

The first practice in pads will be tomorrow.

Read on to find out more news and notes from Miami’s latest practice.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“It was the hump day because it was the fourth day of practice. We try to relate everything from what we did last year. We look at last year and we say ok it was a three game stretch last year and then we got a little relaxed. Now it is the same situation and it is raining and last year it was raining and I told the guys I want to see where there enthusiasm is going to be. Today was great because guys competed and we had a lot of collisions and it was fun.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Tomorrow is the first day in pads for the team “We will have a goal line, short-yardage scrimmage tomorrow. It is going to be full speed contact so we can see who is going to get after it tomorrow and who can convert on third down and one. We are going to put the ball on the two yard line and say ok you have three downs to get it in. It is a toughness drill to see which part of the offense and defense is going to get it done.”

• Linebacker Jordan Futch, who tore his ACL during the FAMU game last season, says his knee is fully healthy and he is able to do all the drills in practice for UM at this point. Coach Shannon says the team missed the excitement Futch brings to the field and he is ready to see Futch take the next step at linebacker. “We missed a lot of excitement,” Shannon said. “Jordan was a real key guy on special teams last year with his big hits on kickoff return and kick coverage. Jordan is a guy that brings that power to the special teams and we missed that last year. Now Jordan is going to take that next step with improving his football game because we need him to play at linebacker and on special teams.”

• Offensive lineman Ben Jones returned to practice after being held out of UM’s first three practices because he had to take care of his academics. Safety Jamal Reid, who also was being held out because of academics did not practice.

• Senior cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke made a nice interception in the back of the end-zone off quarterback Jacory Harris during red-zone drills to start off the practice.

• Freshman wide receiver Allen Hurns caught two touchdowns in practice today. Hurns was held out of the majority of spring football because of lingering effects of a knee injury he sustained in high school, but now he says he is healthy. “I feel fully healthy now with my injury,” Hurns said. “I feel good coming out of my cuts.”

• Safety JoJo Nicolas is a player who doesn’t get talked much about, but he is a veteran in the secondary who started eight games for Miami two years ago. Nicolas received a medical redshirt last year and was held out of the spring with an injury as well. “It is very good that we have a veteran guy like that back,” Nicolas said. “He has a lot of ball experience, so that is the greatest thing about it. He made a great play yesterday against Hankerson, but like all of them he has to keep improving every day and he has competition so that will make him better.”

• Shannon on being ranked 13th in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll: “It really doesn’t mean anything because you have to take care of your business. We have to stay focused and make sure we need to do what we need to do to get to where we need to be at. If we take it one day at a time and stay focused throughout the process then you will be ok.”

• Shannon on senior tight end Richard Gordon: “He is the leader of the tight ends and he is setting in and doing an awesome job. If Richard comes along, then we are going to be really, really good and that will bring the other tight ends along and we can be where we need to be as an offense.”
 6 years ago '07        #7778
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
Let the hitting begin

I used to like a kid in a candy store on the first day of full contact. Hope nkbody gets hurt to bad.

Lets start the f**king season already
 6 years ago '06        #7779
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,660 | Props total: 12161 12161
Please no injures in training camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 08-09-2010, 11:02 AM         #7780
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LB Denzel Perryman Claims to Commit on Spence’s Wall
August 8, 2010

Yes, he did it.

Coral Gables High School LB Denzel Perryman posted on Sean Spence's wall that he was "about to commit."

But, it turns out, Perryman was just having a bit of fun with his friend.

"It was just talk," Perryman said. "I'm loving the process. I'll most likely decide on signing day, I'm really not sure yet when."

He says he won't be making any decision in the next few weeks.

Perryman says he has no frontrunners and that schools still in it are UM, FSU, Florida, Alabama, LSU, Nebraska and Notre Dame.

"It's all just pretty even," he said.

Perryman does say he's enjoying his time at UM. The day of UM's opening practice he was on campus all day, and he attended yesterday's practice as well.

"I love it there," Perryman said. "I've talked with all the coaches, players. I'm enjoying it. The program itself is just outstanding."

He says the biggest thing he's learned from watching on at UM's practice is "to finish, definitely."

Of what UM players say to him, Perryman said, "They don't push me. They just tell me to take your time and make the decision that's best for you. They do say they'd like to have me there as part of the family."
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
85 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
59 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
139 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy finishes whole pizza while getting drilled by Chris Hansen
158 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
51 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside BOSKOE100 mad at SOULJA BOY.. say he make the BLOODS look like clowns !..
81 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Couple Arguing Married 52 Years Lol
70 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Never noticed this from Scream 1
96 comments
1 day ago