Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kanye back in the Studio with Pete Rock and a bunch of Nintendo Wii Games
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
MMA Ronda Rousey turns off Stephen A. Smith in rousing promo for UFC 207
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #7741
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 6 years ago '04        #7742
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,798 | Props total: 1401 1401
Gentleman....we could be looking at a very special season in the making before our own eyes.
 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM         #7743
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
UM Recruiting Blog: 8/5
5-star RB prospect Savon Huggins has an offer from the Canes and is from the state of New Jersey. He took an unofficial visit to Miami back in the spring and came away impressed. He likes UM’s tradition of producing top quality running backs to the pros. He recently cut his list down to 10 and the Canes made it. He’s taking an unofficial visit to Florida with his parents on Thursday, which indicates that he’s much more open to coming to play in this state than most are giving credit for. Rutgers has been said to have the inside track but they now have three RB commitments and that could play a role in his decision. He seems open and will soon cut his list down to five – the schools who will then receive official visits. The Canes are hoping to make that next cut.

3-star CB prospect Josh Atkinson told me the other night that he recently took a visit to Miami along with his brother, 4-star S George Atkinson. George has an offer from Miami while Josh doesn’t. He has ideal size and speed, though, and the Canes are keeping an eye on him. They would like to play college football together so the schools who have offered them both will likely have the edge going into the season. George wants to play on offense but is probably a better DB prospect. Josh is a kid Miami will continue to watch and evaluate as the season gets going. It’s hard to tell what Miami’s chances will be until they offer Josh, if that ends up happening at all. I don’t think it’s likely and expect the two of them to end up elsewhere, probably staying closer to home.

4-star CB prospect Stefan McClure told me a few days ago that the Canes are one of the schools he’s considering. He has an offer from the Canes and says he’d like to make it down for a visit at some point. With school starting up real soon, if that visit happens, it’ll likely be an official one. The Canes will probably only sign one more corner and he is a possibility but probably more of a longshot, at least until he gets down here to check out the school. He keeps mentioning schools out West before he talks about the Canes so UM appears to be on his backburner right now.

4-star CB Albert Louis-Jean committed to Miami back in the early part of spring, soon after the Canes offered him. He remains a strong commitment and says he continues getting recruited by other programs like Penn State and Boston College. He’s a solid UM commit, however, and says he doesn’t plan on taking any other official visits. It’s highly unlikely that he’ll switch his commitment at any time and he’s a 6-1 corner that simply wasn’t available down here in Florida this year.

5-star CB prospect Doran Grant told me last night that the Canes are recruiting him and are still in the mix. He grew up a Canes fan and is friendly with Latwan Anderson, a safety prospect from Ohio who is expected to enroll at UM this month. Grant told me he speaks to Coach Gonnella, who left UM a few months ago. That leads me to believe the Canes haven’t spoken to him in awhile and likely won’t be offering him anytime soon. Ohio State seems like a likely destination here so even if the Canes were to offer, it’s unlikely that he’d strongly consider the Canes.
 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM         #7744
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
DE Chickillo Makes Surprise Visit on Opening Day
August 5, 2010

Tampa (FL) Alonso High School DE Anthony Chickillo took an unofficial visit to Miami today. And it wasn't exactly a short visit.

He arrived on campus at 8 a.m. to watch practice and didn't leave until almost 6 p.m.

"It went great," Chickillo said. "I met with all the coaches, watched practice, met the players."

Of practice, he said, "The team looked great. It was the first day in helmets and I think they're a lot farther along than they were last year at this time. The offensive line was a lot bigger, more developed. They looked good at all skill positions and the defensive line looked good."

Chickillo, who took the visit by himself, says he spent a good part of the day with Coach Randy Shannon.

"I was spending time with Coach Shannon all day," Chickillo said. "The coaches told me they want me and they have to have me. We just talked and I enjoyed spending time with them."

Chickillo says no pressure was ever put on him to commit.

"Miami would never put any pressure on me to make a decision," he said. "They want what's best for me, and whatever I want is what they want. I really like that about the staff. I have a great relationship with every coach."

That includes his position coach, Rick Petri.

"He's a real cool guy," Chickillo said. "We were just talking schemes and watched a little film. He told me they want me and he thinks I can do big things at Miami."

Chickillo says he spent a lot of time talking with several players.

"I was hanging out with the whole team all day," Chickillo said. "I was talking with (Adewale) Ojomo, (Allen) Bailey, Sean Spence, Aldarius (Johnson), Brandon Harris, a lot of them.

"They asked me what schools I have it narrowed down to, where I'm looking real hard."

Asked if the visit helped Miami, Chickillo said, "Yeah, spending time with the team was a big thing for me and meeting with coach Petri and hanging out with Coach Shannon all day long was a good experience."

Now Chickillo thinks he will make a decision "pretty soon."

"I'm not sure of the date, but pretty soon," he said.

Asked if that means it will come in the next two weeks, he said, "I don't think that early, but maybe."

He plans to make the announcement on national TV.

"I don't have it narrowed down, but some I'm looking at a lot are Miami, Florida, Florida State, South Florida, Alabama and Tennessee," Chickillo said.

* Chickillo met fellow recruit Denzel Perryman on the visit.

"He was real cool, was there the whole time I was," Chickillo said. "It was the first time I got to meet him. We started a real good relationship.
 6 years ago '04        #7745
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
RB Cooper: I'll Be Ready
Aug. 6, 2010

By: David Lake

Graig Cooper
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Running back Graig Cooper has been through a lot of adversity in his life, but nothing compares to the tribulation that has been his road to recovery from serious knee surgery in January.

When Cooper, who has dealt with a troubled family life, planted his right foot to cut during Miami’s 20-14 loss to Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl and the sod in the Citrus Bowl gave way, it was the beginning of a long and arduous offseason filled with hours of extra work.

“Its been the toughest thing I’ve been through in my life,” Cooper said of recovering from the injury. “I have never been through a serious injury before and it has been a tough thing to go through.”

Cooper attacked his road to recovery with ferocity and he has now put himself into position to earn playing time early in the season. He kept a positive mindset the entire offseason and that positive thinking kept him working hard.

“A lot of people tell me they don’t know how I can be smiling after all that stuff,” Cooper said. “You just have to stay positive because if you are down on yourself it is going to take longer. I just stayed positive and made sure I never missed a rehab and trusted my trainer.”

Cooper says some former Hurricanes, including former running back Frank Gore, who dealt with two ACL injuries, helped give him advice through his rehab and gave him motivation.

“Those guys understand the situation, so they know how you feel inside and that you don’t want to talk about it,” Cooper said. “They know how I feel with the questions and stuff like that. All I needed was a little bit of motivation and that is what I got.”

Now, Cooper says he is ready for the start of the season

“I will be ready game one. I am able to do everything,” Cooper said. “I haven’t missed anything.”

No matter how ready Cooper appears to be at this point, Miami coach Randy Shannon will ease Cooper into playing time this season.

“You can’t just throw him into the wolves,” coach Shannon said. “He has to get used to wearing the pads. I can’t tell you when he will be ready because it depends on his body. He was doing fine today running around and catching balls.”

Cooper says he has no problem waiting for coach Shannon to grant him playing time.

“I trust coach Shannon,” Cooper said. “He knows what he is talking about. Coach Shannon is just looking out for my best interest, but I am ready and I am good with whatever decision he makes.”

Cooper’s hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed by his teammates and they wouldn’t bet against him being ready for the start of the season.

“He's a strong-minded person,” sophomore running back Mike James said. “He works hard in everything he does. You don't have to worry about Coop, he's going to be just fine.”

“He's ready to go. When he says he's ready, he's ready.”

For now, Cooper admits he is dreaming about his first game back this season and he’s looking forward to absorbing his first hit of the season.

“I won’t know how my knee does until I get that first hit,” Cooper said. “Once I get that first hit, I will be alright.”

Last year, Cooper ran for 695 yards and four touchdowns while catching 18 passes for 132 yards and one touchdown. He currently ranks fifth on the all-time Miami rushing list with 2,218 career yards. This season Cooper has big expectations for the team.

“We all feel like we lost some games that we shouldn’t have last year, but we have to put that behind us,” Cooper said. “We aren’t a young team anymore and there are no excuses.”
 6 years ago '04        #7746
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
James Battling For Playing Time at RB
Aug. 6, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Mike James.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Mike James is glad to be back at tailback.

Now that he is, he’s looking forward to competing for playing time as the primary back.

The sophomore from Haines City is one of a number of talented backs at Miami as they prepare for the 2010 season.

“We have a stable. We have a load,” James said. “I don’t know, coach is going to have to call it. I just go in there in practice and play hard and do what coach asks me to do. If coach asks me to run through the goal post, I’m going to do it.”

James is looking to be a key contributor on a team entering the season with high expectations.

“We have one goal this year and that’s to dominate every time we step on the field,” he said. “It’s written in concrete, it’s written in stone.”

He added: “We can go very far. There is no limit to where we can go and what we are going to accomplish this year.”

James, who rushed for 46 yards and a score last year while catching 15 passes for 105 yards and a score playing in 13 games, starting six as a fullback, is glad to be at his more natural position.

“Yeah I will (be at tailback permanently),”James said. “Fullback was a great step for me. It was good coming in and getting experience. Fullback helped me out a lot and I feel it was a great move.”

While playing fullback was not ideal, James feels he was able to improve his blocking and learn more aspects of the offense in relation to where the defense will be, which he feels will help him in the future.

“My high school coaches enforced blocking a lot so it was a second nature. I could always do it,” James said. “Just the simple fact of going out and doing it. It’s different in college because you have to fit in different places and be in perfect position because they are athletes too.”

If James is going to earn valuable time as the primary back, he knows he had to improve on a couple areas in the offseason including his ability to beat defenders in the open field.

To improve on this, James met with strength coach Andreu Swasey during the summer and set up a plan for James to get better.

“I feel I have improved that a lot,” said James, who cut his 40-yard dash time to 4.51 from 4.58 from a year ago. “I’ve been doing different things, working hard, and doing extra things to make that a.sset of that game improved.”

In addition to improving his speed and ability to make plays in the open field, James cut five pounds and is down to 215 while improving his strength. His squat has improved by 50 pounds, from 450 to 500; his power clean is up 25, from 305 to 330, and his bench is up 10 pounds.

“I’m very excited,” he said. “Every day is an opportunity to get better, compete, and make everyone around me better. I feel good about it.”

The Hurricanes resume practice Friday morning.
 6 years ago '04        #7747
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
TE Ford Reminds Shannon of Shockey
Aug. 6, 2010

Chase Ford
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- With Miami losing three tight ends to the NFL and graduation after last season, junior tight end Chase Ford will be counted on to be a quick study for the University of Miami offense this year.

Though Ford (6-6, 245) has participated in just one full practice at Miami, coach Randy Shannon has already given him perhaps the highest form of praise any JUCO tight end can receive.

Shannon feels like Ford shares many of the same qualities as former UM great and JUCO transfer tight end Jeremy Shockey.

“He reminds me of Shockey,” Shannon said. “The same situation happened to Chase. He was a high school qualifier that went to junior college and got MVP of the league. He reminds us of that type of guy. He is bigger than Shockey coming out and he is tough like Shockey. He has great hands and now he just has to learn the system. We got Jimmy Graham to that point and now we have to get Chase Ford to that point.”

When he was told of Shannon’s comparison, Ford was honored to be mentioned with Shockey.

“I have always known Miami football,” Ford said. “I started watching them when Jeremy Shockey and them won a National Championship. The great tight ends have come through here and I want to become a part of them.”

“It is a great honor to be compared to somebody as good as Jeremy Shockey,” Ford said. “I want to come in and compete for a starting job and help the team win.”

Ford went the junior college route because it was the best chance for him to become a Division I football player. Out of high school, Ford weighed 205 pounds and had football interest from Division IAA schools like Stephen F. Austin and Northwestern State.

Ford ended up enrolling at Kilgore Junior College.

“It was the best route for me,” Ford said. “I had Division IAA schools talking to me, so I thought I might go to the junior college level so I could develop my body a little more.”

While at Kilgore, Ford packed on 40 pounds and became one of the best offensive forces at the junior college level. Ford earned the Southwest Junior College Conference MVP award after leading the conference with 32 receptions and 545 receiving yards.

Ford was named a second-team junior college All-American.

“We ran a pro-style offense with a little bit of shotgun and under center plays,” Ford said. “It is kind of similar to the offense at Miami. In the passing game there I was the center of the offense.”

This year Ford will be wearing number nine for the Hurricanes because the number ten he wore at Kilgore is the retired number George Mira Sr. wore for the Hurricanes.

“I wore number ten at my JUCO and it is retired at Miami, but now nine is my mom’s favorite number,” Ford said with a smile.
 6 years ago '04        #7748
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Media Day News & Notes
Aug. 5, 2010

Randy Shannon
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The season officially started for the University of Miami on Thursday with the first practice of the 2010 season.

With many key starters returning on offense and defense, the Hurricanes enters this season with the highest expectations during the Randy Shannon era.

Read here for the latest news and notes to come out of media day as Miami begins the 2010 season.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“I am going into my fourth year as the coach at the University of Miami and during this process has been a challenge, but I feel like where we are going and where we have been at with this football program is in the right direction. I am very proud of this football team and the way they have worked this summer. We are building for the long term, not the short term at the University of Miami. I was recruited by Schnellenberger, coached by Jimmy Johnson and coached with Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis and Larry Coker. Since I have been here it has been up and down, but with building this in the right direction, it shows the improvement in everything we are doing.”

“I am very excited about this season and like anything, you want to see where you are at. As a coach you want to play the best teams in the country if you have an opportunity to. You have the challenge of playing Ohio State, Pittsburgh, and South Florida--it shows you the demands that are set at Miami. It is going to be great because we have some depth on the football team. We have a camp that is going to be focused on finishing. The main goal this offseason is to work on finishing in practice and competition and finishing each play. We have the competition and depth to challenge each player the right way.”

NEWS & NOTES

• For the 2010 season, Shannon said he would like to see his team get tougher mentally. A lot of that toughness will come with maturity and a lot of players returning from 2009. “We have to be tougher mentally where when we are on a three game win streak and then we go into Virginia Tech, then we have to be able to handle those things mentally,” Shannon said.

• This offensive and defensive line were required to lift weights at 5:30 AM this offseason and run at 6:30 AM. Shannon says that was a big change from past offseasons: “They were really grinding and getting it done and when you see that competition with those guys getting after it and waking up early, that is the standard of your team because you are going to win and lose in the trenches,” Shannon said. “Then the skill guys come in and you are showing your team how dedicated they are. I don‘t think most people want to get up that early and run that early, so that shows you the type of commitment this team is making.”

• The time QB Jacory Harris missed during spring practices helped his development, Shannon says. ““I think missing spring helped him,” Shannon said of Jacory Harris. “He was able to sit back and watch and when guys would do things he would be like man why did he do that? It was kind of a learning thing for him. One thing it made him do too was it made him work on his footwork and fundamentals since April. All he had to do was do three-step drops, five-step drops, nekkid bootlegs, and play-actions. He would do that for 100-yards and then when it was time to throw, his footwork was great.”

• Shannon on what he would consider a successful 2010 season: “I can’t tell you nine, ten, eleven wins. You can not win the ACC and still go to a BCS Bowl. Is that an improvement or not? You can’t classify what it takes to be successful. You just have to go out there and play and improve on what you need to improve on.”

• Miami will be ranked 3rd in the country in the Academic Progress Rate Rankings when they are released soon. Shannon credit’s a lot of the success Miami has had with their academics to their strict standards in the classroom. “We have an academic policy that I think is unique. If you miss a certain amount of classes, you are suspended. I can’t get you out, the president can’t get you out--it is like Monopoly because you can’t get out of jail free. You are done. Also if you don’t get your required study hall times, you are suspended for a game.”

• Shannon credits TE Richard Gordon’s academic success to his recent onfield growth. “When Richard finally graduated, it showed a big boost in him,” Shannon said. “I see a difference in Richard now being a leader and being more talkative. I put Richard in charge of the locker room and making sure everything is under order. He is taking more responsibility and then on the field he shows a different Richard. The older you get, the more mature you get.”

• RB Graig Cooper says he can run and cut on his surgically repaired knee that he injured against Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl. Cooper believes he will be ready for the first game of the season, but Shannon says that will depend on how he handles playing with the pads on during practice. “He is working out and he is doing all the things,” Shannon said. “You can’t just throw him into the wolves. He has to get used to wearing the pads. I can’t tell you when he will be ready because it depends on his body. He was doing fine today running around and catching balls.”

• TE Chase Ford reminds Shannon of former UM great Jeremy Shockey. “He reminds me of Shockey,” Shannon said. “The same situation happened to Chase. He was a high school qualifier that went to junior college and got MVP of the league. He reminds us of that type of guy. He is bigger than Shockey coming out and he is tough like Shockey. He has great hands and now he just has to learn the system. We got Jimmy Graham to that point and now we have to get Chase Ford to that point. ”
 6 years ago '04        #7749
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 597 597
props on the articles
 6 years ago '05        #7750
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 C.R.I.P. said:
Gentleman....we could be looking at a very special season in the making before our own eyes.
lmao we deserve it...we been here since 06 :cool-smiley-009:
 6 years ago '04        #7751
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
lmao we deserve it...we been here since 06 :cool-smiley-009:
true...although im pretty sure the old thread before this one went back to 05.
 6 years ago '05        #7752
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 C.R.I.P. said:
true...although im pretty sure the old thread before this one went back to 05.
lol yea i heard about that thread...but back then i had just joined and only ever logged on to boxden to hit up the jukebox...never really f**ked with the threads back then
 6 years ago '05        #7753
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
The University of Miami football team completed day two of camp with an early morning session on Friday.

Players were on the field at 6:30 a.m. for a spirited two-hour practice. The `Canes had a successful day, despite the fact that approximately 30-plus players had more important things on their mind. Those 30 student-athletes jumped out of practice early for finals to complete their summer semester classes.

Please join us in wishing all of the UM players good luck.

Coach Van Dyke
DeMarcus "DVD" Van Dyke was working the sidelines when he was not on the field during 11-on-11 work. Van Dyke was sharing knowledge with the young defensive backs, while making sure to encourage and high five players where needed. The effervescent DVD even sang the praises of the training staff, "That's the best Gatorade I have ever tasted."

Those around The U know that DVD is among the most likeable and outgoing personalities in the program.

He showed it again when he switched sides of the ball and cheered for the offense when redshirt-freshman Lamar Miller turned the corner on the outside run and went flying down the sideline for a HUGE gain.

When he hit the corner, DVD was hollering, "That's the third leg, that's the third leg. Watch out for the third leg."

Of course, UM fans know that Van Dyke is referring to his fellow track teammate, Miller. Both players are on the UM 4x100 relay team and Miller carries the third leg.

Offensive Notes
- Jacory Harris and the wide receiving crew continue to show improved chemistry. Harris hit a bevy of receivers in space and looked sharp, despite sharing a large chuck of the snaps with Alonzo Highsmith, Jr. and Spencer Whipple.

- Tommy Streeter had a fantastic practice.

"I told Tommy, `Whatever you did last night, make sure you do it again," said Coach Shannon as he left the practice field.

Streeter reeled in two balls despite very tight coverage. On one of the instances, he went up and over two defenders for a highlight reel reception.

Defensive Notes
- Junior linebacker Sean Spence was playing ball hawk in 7-on-7 work. On one play, he was deep in coverage (25 or more yards from the line of scrimmage) and batted down a ball. On the very next snap, he was in a fully extended dive that nearly produced a highlight interception.

The strength staff would be proud, as he immediately rolled over after dropping (and that's a loose term) the interception and started repping out some push-ups.

- Andrew Smith, C.J. Holton and Brandon McGee all had sacks in team work, while Brandon Harris came on a blitz and would have been credited with a QBH in a game situation.

- The most notable forced turnovers came from Jared Campbell and Ramon Buchanon, who had scoop and scores.
 6 years ago '05        #7754
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Canes say Seantrel will have to earn respect
Seantrel Henderson was the No. 1 high school recruit in the country last season. But if he wants some respect from his new teammates, he's going to have to earn it for being more than some blue-chip talent.

Henderson made his Canes debut Thursday morning as fall camp opened, turning heads with his Paul Bunyan-like 6-8, 350-pound frame. After practice, UM coach Randy Shannon praised Henderson for his footwork and for looking "physically fit." But that's where the compliments, it seemed, came to a halt for the big new arrival from St. Paul, Minn.

As center Tyler Horn put it, No. 77, is just another guy right now.

"There have been a lot of good players at this school," Horn said. "Nobody just comes in and gets all the hype. You've had players like Bryant McKinnie, Vernon Carey.

"It's hard for us to give [Henderson] his props if he hasn't earned them yet. The great thing about football is you have a chance to earn them -- especially during camp. That's what we are really looking forward to. He got rated that high for a reason. It will be fun to see how good he really turns out to be."

Right tackle Joel Figueroa said he met Henderson when he arrived Wednesday night, but didn't really get a chance to talk to him. Henderson, who was released from USC after the school was hit hard for NCAA violations this summer, could go a long way toward helping the Canes offensive line this season. But it is likely that it will take him some time to get adjusted to the weather before he really gets into the rotation at tackle.

"He seems like a nice guy," Figueroa said. "But around here, we don't worry about [player] rankings. Some guys have been ranked high and haven't done anything here. And some guys that haven't been highly ranked, have. I'm sure he's a great player. But he has to get used to the weather. It was a little hot out there today. Plus, he has to learn the playbook."

> QUOTE OF THE DAY: "When you have the wires on your mouth, you pass a McDonalds, you pass all these different restaurants. Every corner you turn there is a restaurant and it's `Man, I wish I could eat that food.' So when those wires get clipped out of your mouth you're going straight to Red Lobster, you're going straight to these nice restaurants to eat. I was eating by myself, lunch at Tony Roma's. Randomly."
-- Defensive end Adewale Ojomo, who had his mouth wired after he suffered a broken jaw last season. VIDEO LINK

> CLEANING UP THE SOCIAL NETWORK: Shannon has never been a fan of Facebook or Twitter. He's become even less of a fan after finding out what his players have been posting online. Shannon said he had a team meeting Wednesday night where pulled players Facebook and Twitter accounts and showed them examples of things he wanted cleaned up.

"It could be slang words, words toward a certain race or female or male," Shannon said. "You have to continue to educate these guys all the time. We're constantly stressing those things to represent the University of Miami.

"Four, five, six, eight years down the road you may have a Facebook page that in college it may be you with a couple of bottles of beer, money over the table. When you go interview for a job and somebody pulls your Facebook page up, that's what they remember. I told guys `You do that now, it can haunt you five, six, eight years down the road."

> LIMITED EXPERIENCE: As grown up as the Canes are now in Shannon's fourth season as coach, there are still a few areas where the lack of experience is eye-opening.

I thought the fact senior middle linebacker Kylan Robinson had only four tackles in his career was amazing. But he blew me away Thursday when he said he's actually only gotten in for two plays at linebacker in a game. Shannon admitted Robinson surprised him with what he did in the spring, but added he'll have to see what Robinson does in the scrimmages. "That's when the bullets start flying," Shannon said.

Figueroa, who was moved to right tackle this summer, said he's played the spot some in the past. When pressed on how many plays, Figueroa said "probably 10 to 12." "I can sit here and tell you [the switch is going to be] easy, but I have to be more technically sound."

> HILL READY TO HELP AT CORNER: Fifth-year senior Ryan Hill, once considered the fifth best cornerback in the country by Rivals coming out of high school, is excited about finally get a chance to play the position he was recruited to after two years at receiver and one at safety.

"It's been a long road," said Hill, who is still rehabbing from a torn labrum in his left shoulder that cost him the entire 2009 season. "God works in mysterious ways. But I'm happy. I feel good and my mind's right. I feel stronger than before the surgery."

Where Hill plays in UM's secondary remains a bit of a mystery. He said Thursday he's never played nickel back and prefers to be on the outside at boundary corner. That's where preseason All-American Brandon Harris is currently locked in. Senior Demarcus Van Dyke, meanwhile, is expected to win the job at field corner. Hill said Harris and former walk-on Corey Nelms have been working at nickel over the summer.

As for his comeback from injury, Hill said he spent the summer working out with former Canes Willis McGahee and Phillip Buchanon.

Of the freshman defensive backs new to campus, Hill said he thinks all three -- Keion Payne, Devont'a Davis and Kacy Rodgers -- have the raw talent to play this year. "What I like is that all of them listen," Hill said. "I think they can all help us right away."

> A LITTLE FUN NAME CALLING: Quarterback Jacory Harris made reporters laugh Thursday when he said he lovingly refers to UM's offensive linemen as his "Fat boys." Figueroa and Horn, the only offensive linemen we were able to talk to on Thursday, laughed when they heard what Harris had said.

"It doesn't bother me," Figueroa said. "We've been called many things. It's more of a metaphor really. It's just like when they call us Big Uglies. I don't think I'm ugly."

Said Horn: "Jacory is funny. We clown him all the time for being skinny. I call him Bones. There's only so many skinny jokes you can make."

> THE NEXT SHOCKEY? Shannon said junior tight end Chase Ford (6-6, 245) reminds him a lot of Jeremy Shockey. Ford, who speaks with a Texas twang, said he'd love to leave UM having accomplished as much as Shockey did. But he knows he has a long way to go. While he said the offense he ran at Kilgore Junior College is similar to what UM runs, the routes aren't necessarily the same.

"It's a process," Ford said of the Canes' playbook. "You have to learn it day by day. By the end of camp, I should have it all, well packed in. But as of right now, it's day one."

Read more:
 6 years ago '04        #7755
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/6
Aug. 6, 2010

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami football team finished their second practice of fall camp this morning with a session that started at 6:30 AM.

Miami practiced in shorts today with no pads.

The Hurricanes are ranked No. 13 in the USA Today preseason coaches’ poll that was released Friday morning.

UM has six opponents on their schedule who are ranked in the preseason poll: No. 2 Ohio State, No. 6 Virginia Tech, No. 15 Pittsburgh, No. 17 Georgia Tech, No. 18 North Carolina, and No. 20 Florida State.

The coaches’ poll is a part of the BCS formula used to determine its national champion.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“Today was a good day. We came out and corrected a lot of things. Yesterday there was a lot of balls on the ground while today there wasn’t a lot of balls on the ground, which is common on the first day of practice. It was good because we corrected a lot of things. As far as what guys are doing in practice, you can’t do much because we don’t really have pads on. We will be in shells tomorrow, which is the next step before we can get into some scrimmage work.”

NEWS & NOTES

On the second day of practice, Shannon was pleased with the team’s energy. “We still had improvement and the enthusiasm was there and those are the things you look for in practice,” Shannon said. “We had an early practice today because guys had tests after practice. This is what I mean about putting guys in tough situations: we had a bout 30 guys who had tests this morning and we went early and the whole focus was on practice. Nobody got discouraged and was thinking about the test, so that shows that the team is starting to mature and can handle adversity a little bit. That shows where we are as a team.”

Even though Miami has a veteran team, Shannon had made it clear to his coaching staff that he wants the fundamental details still stressed every day in practice. “We talked about that as a coaching staff to make sure we stay to the grind and stay on the small things and not get ahead to early,” Shannon said. “The one thing you can do when you have a veteran team is that you can pull back too early and you don’t do the things you need to get done. What we continually do is just stress upon the coaches that what we did last year in camp, lets stay on the same page and don’t let anybody have the easy way out.”

Because Miami’s depth is the best it has been during the Randy Shannon era, he says the player realize the importance of competing hard in every practice. “Yes they get that message,” Shannon said. “They understand the competition and competitiveness of each other and what we are demanding out of each other. They know that every time you come on the football field in practice, you have to be the best. We always say that you can talk about things you can do, but who is going to step up and lead that group. A lot of times, guys think leaders are vocal, but sometimes the best leaders are guys that will show you they can do it and we’ll find out. There is going to be a hump day on the fourth day. That is when we will see who can step up and be a leader then and we will know who our team is.”

Miami will have an open practice for season ticket holders and UM employees starting at 8 AM at Cobb Stadium. “It is just a normal practice we always open up the gates for the fans who bought season tickets for us and that is our way of rewarding them,” Shannon said. “We let everybody know, if you have a season ticket then you can come and watch practice. If you don’t have a season ticket then it is closed.”

Shannon on if the bigger hurdle for freshmen earning playing time is mental or physical: “Both. If you take a guy that is not used to the competition, not used to the banging, and not used to the hours of studying and terminology, it makes a big difference in what the freshman does.”
 6 years ago '05        #7756
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
UM investigated by NCAA for `impermissible text messages'
.BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN AND MICHELLE KAUFMAN

The University of Miami is being investigated by the NCAA for recruiting-related text messages by coaches in various sports -- including football, women's track and possibly baseball, three sources told The Miami Herald.

UM initiated the process by self-reporting the infractions to the NCAA, according to two UM athletic department sources, both of whom believe the infractions are not considered severe.

Another source with knowledge of the investigation said it was launched in January.

Though individual text-messaging episodes would normally be categorized by the NCAA as secondary violations, collectively they could be considered a major violation, which is believed to be the case for the UM program. The sanctions in this type of case are usually not harsh.

UM released a statement Friday, saying, ``The University of Miami's Department of Intercollegiate Athletics discovered possible NCAA violations involving impermissible text messages and telephone calls to prospective student-athletes. After conducting an audit, the University has self-reported its findings to the NCAA, and a joint investigation has been launched. The University will take appropriate steps to ensure full compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. As this is an on-going process, the University will have no further comment at this time.''

It is unknown how many text-related violations were discovered.

The NCAA banned college coaches from text-messaging recruits in 2007 ``because of the potential cost to prospective student-athletes,'' according to the NCAA website.

The NCAA defines recruiting as ``any solicitation of prospective student-athletes or their parents by an institutional staff member or by a representative of the institution's athletics interests for the purpose of securing a prospective student-athlete's enrollment and ultimate participation in the institution's intercollegiate athletics program.''

The NCAA website notes that ``evolving technology presents unique challenges in recruiting. . . . Schools cannot text prospective student-athletes at any time, but they can e-mail during permissible contact periods. Schools can do so even from social media platforms such as Facebook.''

Because of the situation, a source said UM athletic director Kirby Hocutt has instituted stricter rules regarding text messages. The rules weren't divulged, but there will be tougher internal penalties for coaches who violate them.

An athletic department source confirmed that all UM athletic teams' phone and text-messaging records were reviewed by the NCAA. Some teams had violations and some did not. It was not revealed whether teams other than football, women's track and possibly baseball violated rules.

Once a school self reports a violation, the NCAA comes in and works with the school -- and independently -- until there is a resolution. The outcome can be the result of an NCAA hearing, or through the two parties working together in what is called a summary disposition. In a summary disposition, the school and NCAA enforcement staff attempt to agree on an imposed penalty. The agreement must ultimately be approved by the committee on infractions.

The NCAA Division-I Infractions Committee, made up of 10 members, is chaired by former UM athletic director Paul Dee. He has been recused from any dealings with the case.

The other infraction committee members, as reported by the Detroit Free Press: Britton Banowsky, Conference USA commissioner; John Black, attorney, Kansas City; Melissa Conboy, Notre Dame deputy athletic director; Brian Halloran, attorney, Malibu, Calif.; Roscoe Howard, attorney, Washington, D.C.; James O'Fallon, Oregon faculty athletic representative; Eleanor Myers, Temple a.ssociate professor; Dennis Thomas, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference commissioner; Rodney Uphoff, Missouri professor.

Herald columnist Dan Le Batard contributed to this report.

Read more:
 6 years ago '04        #7757
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
UM investigated by NCAA for `impermissible text messages'
.BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN AND MICHELLE KAUFMAN

The University of Miami is being investigated by the NCAA for recruiting-related text messages by coaches in various sports -- including football, women's track and possibly baseball, three sources told The Miami Herald.

UM initiated the process by self-reporting the infractions to the NCAA, according to two UM athletic department sources, both of whom believe the infractions are not considered severe.

Another source with knowledge of the investigation said it was launched in January.

Though individual text-messaging episodes would normally be categorized by the NCAA as secondary violations, collectively they could be considered a major violation, which is believed to be the case for the UM program. The sanctions in this type of case are usually not harsh.

UM released a statement Friday, saying, ``The University of Miami's Department of Intercollegiate Athletics discovered possible NCAA violations involving impermissible text messages and telephone calls to prospective student-athletes. After conducting an audit, the University has self-reported its findings to the NCAA, and a joint investigation has been launched. The University will take appropriate steps to ensure full compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. As this is an on-going process, the University will have no further comment at this time.''

It is unknown how many text-related violations were discovered.

The NCAA banned college coaches from text-messaging recruits in 2007 ``because of the potential cost to prospective student-athletes,'' according to the NCAA website.

The NCAA defines recruiting as ``any solicitation of prospective student-athletes or their parents by an institutional staff member or by a representative of the institution's athletics interests for the purpose of securing a prospective student-athlete's enrollment and ultimate participation in the institution's intercollegiate athletics program.''

The NCAA website notes that ``evolving technology presents unique challenges in recruiting. . . . Schools cannot text prospective student-athletes at any time, but they can e-mail during permissible contact periods. Schools can do so even from social media platforms such as Facebook.''

Because of the situation, a source said UM athletic director Kirby Hocutt has instituted stricter rules regarding text messages. The rules weren't divulged, but there will be tougher internal penalties for coaches who violate them.

An athletic department source confirmed that all UM athletic teams' phone and text-messaging records were reviewed by the NCAA. Some teams had violations and some did not. It was not revealed whether teams other than football, women's track and possibly baseball violated rules.

Once a school self reports a violation, the NCAA comes in and works with the school -- and independently -- until there is a resolution. The outcome can be the result of an NCAA hearing, or through the two parties working together in what is called a summary disposition. In a summary disposition, the school and NCAA enforcement staff attempt to agree on an imposed penalty. The agreement must ultimately be approved by the committee on infractions.

The NCAA Division-I Infractions Committee, made up of 10 members, is chaired by former UM athletic director Paul Dee. He has been recused from any dealings with the case.

The other infraction committee members, as reported by the Detroit Free Press: Britton Banowsky, Conference USA commissioner; John Black, attorney, Kansas City; Melissa Conboy, Notre Dame deputy athletic director; Brian Halloran, attorney, Malibu, Calif.; Roscoe Howard, attorney, Washington, D.C.; James O'Fallon, Oregon faculty athletic representative; Eleanor Myers, Temple a.ssociate professor; Dennis Thomas, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference commissioner; Rodney Uphoff, Missouri professor.

Herald columnist Dan Le Batard contributed to this report.

Read more:
bulls**t....
 6 years ago '05        #7758
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 C.R.I.P. said:
bulls**t....
doesnt seem like itll be ne thing to be worried about since the school reported it but with paul dee at the helm, c'mon son

but the fact that it was lebatard breaking the story on his show, making it seem like it was something major or serious, ppl started callin and blasting him for it, and then backpeddled on how serious it actually was
 6 years ago '06        #7759
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,706 | Props total: 12245 12245
dosent matter the NCAA has bigger things to worry about

texting rarely even gets punished... the worst that has been is two schollys but that was after multiple times

kiffin in tennesse just commited 6 violations... west virginia just got hit for 5 years of activity of possible violators with under grads on the staff and others not on the staff for paying money to recruits

nothing to worry about... if you aint cheating you aint trying i say!!! we playing against muthaf**kin cut throaters...THEY SNITCHING ON US!!! I BET IT WAS URBAN WHO REPORTED US!!! RAT FACED WEASEL
 6 years ago '05        #7760
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,688 | Props total: 3796 3796
damn U cant never catch a break....

speakin of breakin...oct 9th
Home      

most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
182 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
269 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Teaser
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 8 - Mark Cuban: Trump is our number one draft pick
32 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy