Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 07-20-2010, 10:28 AM         #7661
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Even though some players will not show up in the rankings, a handful could potentially make huge impacts during the 2010 season. So, to kick of this year's preseason player rankings, I'll start with those guys, The Wildcards. Here they are:

1. Seantrel Henderson, OL, Fr.: If LeBron James was the biggest summer arrival on South Beach, Seantrel Henderson should be considered the same in Coral Gables. After picking USC over Miami and Ohio State on National Signing Day, the nation's No. 1 high school offensive lineman backed out on the Trojans after they were hit hard by NCAA sanctions earlier this month. Now, he's become the biggest addition to the Hurricanes' 2010 signing class. a.ssuming there are no surprises with the NCAA Clearinghouse, Henderson should report for classes Aug. 3 and be in uniform when coach Randy Shannon starts asking guys to fly around. Henderson isn't quite like the other offensive linemen UM has recruited in the past decade. He probably will not need much time at all to get bigger or stronger. At 6-8, 340-pounds, his toughest adjustment will likely be getting used to the speed he's seeing on the other side. With UM loaded with talent at defensive end, he'll be tested quickly. It's hard to imagine Henderson pushing Orlando Franklin out of the starting left tackle job by the season opener on Sept. 2. But could Henderson start at right tackle ahead of redshirt freshman Jermaine Johnson (6-6, 310) and sophomore Ben Jones (6-5, 300)? Absolutely. At the very least, Henderson should split time.

2. Chase Ford, TE, Jr.: Ford would have benefitted largely from participating in the spring and learning offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's system. But the NCAA denied a waiver the 6-7, 250-pound native Texas needed to transfer in from Kilgore Community College, the same school which produced former Cane Kevin Everett. So, Ford spent his spring staying in shape and working as a maintenance man at his old high school. Ford won't have to cut the lawn at UM, but he will have to make a Jimmy Graham-like transition to the Canes' offense. Other than senior Richard Gordon (4 catches, 32 yards), Miami only has redshirt freshman Billy Sanders (6-4, 248) and two other freshmen -- Clive Walford and Asante Cleveland -- to throw out there at tight end. Ford won't be the No. 1 tight end on Day 1, but he should become it rather quickly. The issue becomes how much he really helps the offense. Graham caught 17 passes for 213 yards and five touchdowns last season. Dedrick Epps caught 19 for 247 yards and 3 scores. With Miami loaded at receiver, Ford figures to probably do right around the same as those two as the tight end position is used less overall.

3. Graig Cooper, RB, Sr.: Quarterback Jacory Harris told reporters last week he's optimistic Graig Cooper will be back to help the Hurricanes at some point this season. That was hard to imagine back in December when Cooper's blew out his right knee -- almost Willis McGahee style -- returning a kick in the Champs Sports Bowl loss to Wisconsin. Cooper, Miami's leading rusher each of the past three seasons, had surgery not long after the injury and has been rehabbing hard with the hope of coming back to see real playing time. Tight end Dedrick Epps did it last season. But until we see otherwise, it's hard to imagine Cooper, a player who relies so much on his cutback ability, making a big impact in 2010. He could ultimately make his way back later in the season and try to prove his ready for the next NFL Draft. But my thought process is Shannon will urge him to hold off until 2011 when he could return fully healthy and have a young crop of running backs behind him. For those of you thinking Cooper's loss is no big deal, remember two things: 1. Mike James and Lamar Miller have a combined 15 college carries in their career (all belong to James). 2. Cooper finished fourth in the ACC last season in all-purpose yards.

4. Latwan Anderson, ATH, Fr.: Just like Henderson, Anderson was a post-signing day gift for UM. A 5-10, 170-pound freshman who signed a track scholarship with the Canes, Anderson finished his senior year in Ohio with 66 tackles, four forced fumbles and 14 picks and was considered a 5-star recruit by Rivals. He could potentially help Miami all over the field, much like Devin Hester once did, playing on defense, offense and special teams. Considering how much help UM could use at cornerback, it's hard to imagine the staff pushing him to receiver, where he would be behind a long list of talented players. If Anderson ends up in the secondary, he could always switch to receiver later on in his career. My thought is we see Anderson mostly on special teams, dime situations and maybe once or twice on a few trick plays or reverses on offense. Either way, I think we will see at least one or two freshmen play a lot in the secondary with numbers down at cornerback.

5. Kevin Nelson, LB, Fr.: If there is a position on defense with more questions surrounding it than middle linebacker, let me know. With the departure of Darryl Shaprton, Shannon let true freshman Shayon Green start the spring with the first team in the middle. The experiment didn't last long. Green was quickly replaced by senior Kylan Robinson, a 6-1, 235-pound former four-star running back with four career special teams tackles and no starts under his belt. Shannon was happy with Robinson in the spring, saying he made major strides. Although Robinson is in line to be this year's Matt Pipho (a player who waited until his fifth season to become a major contributor), he could receive a serious push from Nelson, a 6-1, 220-pound true freshman from Gainesville who scouts love. If Nelson, 20, impresses enough, there's no reason he couldn't at least share some some playing time with Robinson -- especially since Shannon seems intent on not wanting to have to move Colin McCarthy to the middle
 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM         #7662
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Recruiting Blog: 7/20
<hr style="background-color: #003300; height: 0px;" />
* 4-star DE prospect Giorgio Newberry told me earlier this week that Miami is very much in the picture for him. Interestingly, he told me back in the spring that while he was interested in the Canes, they weren't recruiting him as hard as some others. In fact, I wrote a story about how he wanted to hear more from the Canes. He says that's changed and he's been communucating more. He's never maintained a favorite, although he's hinted at FSU being one back in the beginning. I don't think he'll leave the state. He may go to Friday Night Lights at Florida this week but I think in the end this is going to be a UM/FSU battle that could come down to the wire. He plays DE, DT, and OT and could project at any of those spots. He's 6-6/250 now but will probably be 6-6/300 in two years. That could be a massive DT or an athletic LT. He says he doesn't have a preference but I believe he wants to play on defense and that's where both schools are recruiting him at. His friendship with Marcus Jackson may help UM some but that's being overblown. He knows kids at both places and will continue meeting new recruits throughout the process.

* Last week I talked to 3-star DT prospect Chris Mayes from Georgia. He said the Canes have offered and that he he'd like to get down here to check them out. He went to UGA's Dawg Night prospect camp this past Friday night and I'm told the UGA coaches, including Mark Richt, were all over him. I wasn't sure if he was a priority for them but I think they made it clear that he is. That's going to make it extra tough on the out of state schools, including Miami, as long as UGA is all over him. If that changes, it could free up some interest elsewhere but UGA has to be considered the front-runner right now.

* 4-star WR Davaris Daniels told Scout earlier this week that his top 3 choices remain Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Miami. He was scheduled to announce his decision at a press conference last month but cancelled it. Other UM recruiting sites listed him as a Miami commitment at that time, without any quotes from Daniels. At that same time, I wrote not to expect him to even take an official visit here, let alone commit. He never committed and told Scout this week that he doesn't really hear from Miami any more. In recruiting translation, that means he's off the board. The top remaining WR prospects appear to be Sammy Watkins and George Farmer. Others could emerge later but it won't be Daniels.

* 5-star DE prospect Jadeveon Clowney told Scout this week that he plans to visit Miami with one of his five trips. The Canes offered him very early in the process and it's interesting that he's now listing the Canes in his top 4. His top 2 are Alabama and South Carolina. UNC is third. He was high on Florida for awhile but that seems to have faded. His interest in Miami could too but you gotta believe the news of Seantrel Henderson picking Miami has given the canes some recruiting momentum lately. The Canes have signed Scout's No. 1-rated player two of Randy Shannon's four classes here and would've signed a third if Bryce Brown wouldve been given the opportunity to. 3 out of 4 is pretty darn impressive and reason to believe that even though it appears like a longshot, getting Clowney is a possibility. If NSD were tomorrow, I'd expect him to be a Gamecock.

* 4-star OL Brandon Shell of SC told Scout this week that he also plans to visit Miami. A 6-5 OT prospect, Shell was offered early by the Canes and is showing some interest now. Like Clowney, it's hard to judge how much interest there really is until they get him on campus for a visit. That is expected to take place later in the year. Still, it appears as though it's a longshot. Miami will likely sign just one OT in this class.
 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM         #7663
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Benjamin Developing Relationship with Bridgewater
Jul. 20, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

MIRAMAR, Fla. -- Kelvin Benjamin consistently is showing his dominance this summer.

Benjamin, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound wide receiver out of Glades Central, is tough to guard in 1-on-1 matchups during various 7-on-7 events.

Even Northwestern athletic star Teddy Bridgewater became a victim of Benjamin’s talents as the wideout leaped over Bridgewater for a one-handed grab in the championship game of the Nike South Florida 7-on-7 finals.

“We have been talking a lot ever since I committed,” said Bridgewater, who has verbally committed to Miami. “He was waiting to see what I was going to do and what the other quarterbacks are going to do.”

Benjamin says the two have developed a good bond.

“Teddy texts me a lot so we have that connection,” Benjamin said. “He’s a real cool cat especially one of those cats that you want to surround yourself around when you go off to college in that atmosphere.”

Benjamin has also been talking with UM receivers coach Aubrey Hill and wide receiver Travis Benjamin, a former Glades Central standout.

He had plans to take an unofficial trip to Florida this summer, but those plans have been cancelled.

“We were planning on going to Friday Night Lights (at Florida), but we have a 7-on-7 at Florida State so we are doing that,” Benjamin said.

Benjamin has helped lead Glades Central to a number of wins in 7-on-7 events this summer including the NFL title in Tampa. They fell to Northwestern at the Nike Event last weekend.

“We have been practicing all summer, we are basically getting our offense on track and get a connection with our quarterback,” Benjamin said. “A lot more guys are stepping up, the whole team is stepping up. Everyone here is playing well and contributing to the team. We have a lot of playmakers.”

One of the guys who is stepping up for Glades Central is 2012 wide receiver Jaime Wilson, a six-foot athletic speedster.

“He is young, but he is growing into it so fast. He is being coachable,” Benjamin said.

Because of age eligibility requirements by the FHSAA, players cannot participate in athletics when they are 19 years and nine months old. Benjamin will be that age in November meaning he will not able to play for Glades Central past the eighth game of the 10-game regular season.

After flirting with the idea of going to a prep school, Benjamin has decided to play out his senior season.

“I’m going to play the eight games and help out the team,” Benjamin said. “It doesn’t matter about the games because I already have scholarships and have proved what I can do. I’ll play the eight games and help them get to state and encourage them if they go to state.”

Benjamin is happy with his decision to stay in Belle Glade as opposed to going to a prep school in the Northeast.

“I thought about it, but when I sat down and really thought about it, I already have scholarships and I can stay at my school and graduate with my school colors,” he said.

Benjamin finished his junior season with 36 receptions for 861 yards and six touchdowns while averaging 23.9 yards a catch.
 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM         #7664
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Roberson Talks UM Visit, New Leader
Jul. 21, 2010

By: Nate Adelson

St. Thomas Aquinas cornerback Marcus Roberson has been a touchy topic of conversation after making early comments about not having interest in Miami because he wanted to get away from home.

Since Miami offered Roberson (6-0, 170) in May, the Canes have grown on him somewhat and things continued in a positive direction when he got his first look on an unofficial visit last week.

“I just wanted to see for myself how it was,” Roberson said. “I was able to see the team get in 7 on 7 work that morning, I think it was Wednesday. They were a quick team and they really get the work done in a short time. It was nice watching them practice and then I got the tour of the facility. They weren’t real big or anything but it was ok, it was nice.”

Roberson mentioned that he came across Coach Shannon and a couple a.ssistants as well, but really didn’t get past a brief greeting.

The highlight of Roberson’s visit was getting to see his former teammates who have moved on to college, especially his friend Keion Payne.

“I was talking to Keion Payne, being that he came from my school, and he told me about how much he likes everything there,” Roberson said. “It’s really funny to me, knowing that they came from my school and they were on our team not that long ago. I see them work out now and they go harder then we do. Linder told me that Miami is the place to be even though the workouts are tough for sure. You just have to get used to it, that’s all.”

Miami is not currently in Roberson’s top two, but he admits that they are a choice he is considering more seriously.

“If my decision was based on staying home, they would be at the top of my list but I’m still thinking about going away to another place,” Roberson said. “Auburn is number one, Florida is number two, and then you got Texas A&M, Georgia, and Miami.”

Auburn is a new school on Roberson’s radar but they have surged ahead of the Gators after a recent unofficial visit for their summer camp.

“They are recruiting me as straight cornerback for one,” Roberson said. “They’re in serious need of corners so I feel like I could play really early there. I hung out with the players there and I feel comfortable around them. They were cool and they showed me around, showed me love when I was there.”

Roberson had not taken a single unofficial visit by the time that spring practice ended in late May. He has since taken a ridiculous amount of trips to Miami, Florida, Florida State, USF, UCF, Wake Forest, Georgia, and Auburn.

“My uncle (St. Thomas Aquinas defensive backs coach Otis Mounds) has been able to take me around to see different places, that’s all,” Roberson said. “It helped me a lot because it really showed me about the environment and the people at each school. It’s about knowing if I want to wake up at that place for the next four years.”
 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM         #7665
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Atkinson Previews Upcoming UM Visit
Jul. 21, 2010

By: Nate Adelson

Athlete George Atkinson from Granada High in Livermore, California, is excited to get his first look at Miami tomorrow after stopping by Alabama yesterday.

The main question Atkinson (6-2, 195) is looking to get answered on his visit is in regards to which position the Miami coaches see him at.

“I’m excited to see the area, the campus, and how the coaching staff ended up getting some of their players,” Atkinson said. “I definitely want to find out if they would have me on offense or defense so that is my main question. They haven’t got into that when I’ve talked to them, they just said they like what I can do on the field.”

Heading into the visit, Miami is already somewhere among his top five, and a return trip for an official visit is likely a.ssuming he enjoys himself on Thursday.

“Right now, they’re probably up some there somewhere in my top five,” Atkinson said. “We’ll see how Thursday goes and how much I like it. Most likely I’ll come back for an official because I like what they’re doing as a program. They’re coming back pretty strong from a couple years ago.”

The main objective of this whole trip including stops at both Miami and Alabama is to see how Atkinson feels about potentially leaving Pac-10 country.

“I guess you could say I’m trying to expand my horizons because I’ve been on the West Coast my whole life,” Atkinson said. “I want to see something new and I really liked Alabama. They really have a great program so I’m looking forward to seeing what Miami has to offer.”

Atkinson went on to point out a couple differences about playing in the Southeast as well as what direction his family is pointing him in.

“The people seem to be more friendly so far down here and then there’s the humidity,” Atkinson laughed. “The weather is the biggest difference to me and the food too. My family pretty much wants me close to home, my mom’s side mostly. I have a lot of family down here on my dad’s side so it works both ways. More people want me out West but I want to see something new and in the end, it’s my decision. My family is a big influence too but we’ll see how things go.”

Atkinson is joined on the trip by his twin brother, Josh, who is a highly recruited cornerback prospect. Josh has over ten offers himself, but not from many of George’s top choices like Miami, Alabama, and USC.

“I think Miami has a little interest in Josh,” Atkinson said. “Alabama saw Josh at their camp and they were impressed but they want to see how he plays this season. USC coaches said the same thing and Miami is probably in that same position.”

The Atkinsons will finish their trip this weekend in Orlando as selections for Gridiron Kings, a 7 on 7 tournament that draws top talent from all over the country.
 6 years ago '04        #7666
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Telemaque: DBs Confident
Jul. 21, 2010

By: David Lake

Vaughn Telemaque
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- In 2009 the Miami secondary only had five interceptions on the season.

But with an attitude and confidence change that has happened to the defensive back unit this offseason, expect more picks in 2010.

Redshirt sophomore safety Vaughn Telemaque says a lot of that confidence comes from the experience the players have received the past two seasons and now they are ready to flourish as a unit.

“Last year we were more ok with not giving up the deep ball compared to jumping short routes or jumping mediocre routes,” Telemaque said. “I think that a big plus for us this year is that we have a lot of guys with experience and they have seen all the routes. Now it is about taking chances and having fun and play like you do when you are in your backyard playing football.”

Telemaque, who played 12 games for the Hurricanes last season, totaling 48 tackles while still looking to make his first interception at Miami, says he plans on playing with more confidence this year.

“In high school I used to like to talk to quarterbacks and wide receivers and try to get in their head and play mind games with them,” Telemaque said. “I lost that knack for trying to do me. I was just trying to fit in and making sure I wasn’t messing up and things like that. This year more chances are going to be made. I want to let the quarterbacks know where I am and that they should try me. Go ahead and try me. I want those guys to come at me.”

Telemaque says he has tried to make that confidence be felt throughout the whole team this offseason as he has become more of a vocal leader.

“I feel like I can step in and be a vocal leader,” Telemaque said. “I actually have experience now, so what I say is not coming just out of the air. I can actually say that I have experience. I just want to take everybody in and make sure we all buy into the program.”

The month of spring football is another reason why Telemaque is confident going into this season. During that month, Telemaque was able to work at cornerback and gain a better understanding of all the a.ssignments in the secondary.

“I got to speak to Ed Reed when I was playing corner and he just told me that could help me understand what the corners are going through when I am at safety,” Telemaque said. “It helps you take your safety understanding to another level because you can understand all the concepts and routes of where the quarterback is trying to fit the ball.”

Telemaque likes the talent that will line up with him on defense for the Hurricanes. Telemaque believes there is a playmaker on every level of the defense this season.

“The feeling that I have is that at every position, there is no flaw,” Telemaque said. “At every position, somebody is ready to make a play and at every position somebody is going to make a play.”

Cornerback Brandon Harris is a player who has particularly impressed Telemaque this offseason with his play during 7-on-7 workouts.

“You guys are going to love Brandon Harris this year,” Telemaque said. “He has taken his game to another level with his improvement from last year.”

This summer, Telemaque has worked to jell with fellow safety Ray Ray Armstrong. Telemaque talked about what he expects out of him and Armstrong as a safety duo.

“He is a big kid and he has a great attitude and is willing to learn,” Telemaque said of Armstrong. “We all ask each other questions and work together with our positives and negatives. The best thing about Ray Ray though is that he is a winner and that carries over to a lot of people. When he speaks out, then a lot of people listen. We want to go out and be like two wild animals and go out and compete and make this team as good as we can.”

Telemaque says he knows the secondary will be ready this season because of the talent Miami brings to each 7-on-7 workout at the wide receiver position.

“You can’t hide from any wide receiver,” Telemaque said. “They will all call you out and try to show you what they do. We all feed off each other and compete. We just go at it. I think we have one of the best receiver corps in the country. I like how our offensive coordinator can use all those guys in any way because they are all so versatile.”

From Ed Reed, to Sean Taylor, to Bennie Blades, to Kenny Phillips, all the great safeties to have come out of the University of Miami have had one thing in common--they worked hard and dedicated themselves during the offseason to get better.

Telemaque says he understands that the only way to get better each year is to put in the hard work.

“If you want your name to be mentioned with the greats, you have to work as hard or harder than them and that just motivates you and pushes you to a higher level. We can work hard to keep the legacy and tradition going and be a great player.”
 6 years ago '05        #7667
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
"UM firmed up dates for the three Notre Dame games: Oct. 6, 2012, in Chicago; Oct. 8, 2016, at Notre Dame; and Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 25, 2017, in South Florida." ~ Barry Jackson, Miami Herald

:cool-smiley-009:
 07-22-2010, 12:01 AM         #7668
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Four-star WR Kelvin Benjamin of Florida (No. 144 in the ESPNU 150) appears to be even more of a lock now to commit to Miami. We told you that Florida's getting a pledge from similarly sized WR Ja'Juan Story seemed to be a sign that the Gators weren't going to wait on Benjamin, and now Benjamin tells Christopher Stock of InsideTheU.com that he won't be able to make it to Florida's Friday Night Lights camp this week as scheduled.

Benjamin continues to stay in touch with Miami WR coach Aubrey Hill and WR Travis Benjamin (no relation), who went to the same high school. Moreover, Kelvin Benjamin has developed a strong relationship with four-star QB commit Teddy Bridgewater, which Bridgewater says heated up once he committed.

"Teddy texts me a lot so we have that connection," Benjamin said. "He's a real cool cat especially, one of those cats that you want to surround yourself around when you go off to college in that atmosphere."
 6 years ago '04        #7669
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
RB Berry Ready To Carry The Load
Jul. 22, 2010

By: David Lake

Damien Berry
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Senior running back Damien Berry is expected to enter training camp as the top running back at the University of Miami this season.

But Berry is still approaching this season like he has to scrap for every bit of playing time and every carry.

That’s because Berry doesn’t practice any other way. He takes each rep in practice like he is at the bottom of the depth chart.

To Berry, no amount of playing time is guaranteed.

“I am going to be the best running back I can be, but I know I still have to outwork Mike James and Graig Cooper and even the young players, Storm Johnson and Darion Hall,” Berry said. “I just have to keep working hard.”

“I feel like we all have to work hard for that number one spot and push each other. If I am the number one guy, then I am the number one guy.”

Berry rushed for 616 yards last season while leading the team with 8 rushing touchdowns and a 6.6 yards per carry average. Berry received most of his carries last season in the second half when defenses were worn down. This season he has prepared himself to be ready to carry the load for an entire game.

“It will be a lot different,” Berry said of his approach to this season. “I have to prepare myself to be more of a total running back that can play every down that can do it all. I will be prepared for this season with however many carries I will get this year. I feel stronger and faster. I know I am definitely stronger.”

The biggest area Berry has worked to improve this offseason is understanding his pass blocking a.ssignments.

“My pass protection has always been ok, but I want to be great,” Berry said. “The less that Jacory gets touched, that gives us a better chance to win.”

The only question mark going into the 2010 season for the offense is the three starters Miami has to replace on the offensive line. Berry says he and the offensive line know of that perception going into the season and they are looking forward showing what they can do this season.

“I know they take it personally because some of them tell me what they are going to do this year,” Berry said. “That just motivates us for this season. It is an area we do have to get better at, but our offensive line is great. I know that we have the best offensive line in the NCAA.”

With most of the skill position players returning this year, Berry has big expectations for the Miami offense in 2010.

“My expectation is for us to be great, not just good,” Berry said. “I want us to lead in passing and rushing.”

Berry says he has been impressed with the new crop of freshman running backs that have arrived this summer in Eduardo Clements, Darion Hall, and Maurice Hagens. Berry talked about what each newcomer brings to the table.

“Eduardo is a shifty, quick dude that reminds me a lot of Clinton Portis,” Berry said. “One the field he is a jokester. He is a character. Darion is more of a quiet guy that is trying to learn every detail. Maurice just sits back with Pat Hill and trying to learn the offense.”
 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM         #7670
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Homestead DT Chavis Akins has UM on his mind

July 22, 2010

Homestead (FL) High School DT Chavis Akins has visited Miami twice this summer.

"And I'm thinking about visiting again soon," he says. "I've talked to coach (Randy) Shannon, and I talk to coach (Micheal) Barrow.

"Coach Shannon, he just told me what it takes to be a Miami player, things like that. He said it'll take having wonderful grades, a good mindset, that I have to be a good player. He told me it's not difficult to do, but he was saying that everything that is difficult could be accomplished. Coach Barrow, he just told me how it would be good to have me out there because they have Marcus Robinson out there from my school."

Akins, who lists a verbal offer dating back to last year, says he's getting regular mail from Hurricane coaches.

"They're asking about how I'm doing, that they hope I'm having a good summer, hoping it'll lead to a good season," Akins said. "They say they're looking forward to recruiting me to Miami."

Akins plans an unofficial visit to Alabama next month and Florida State later this month.

"I'll also go see LSU and UCF, and I've been to Florida State and Florida," he says.

Akins says right now Miami, Florida and Florida State are at the top of his list, and he added that "LSU is close."

Akins says that Texas Tech, and Alabama also remain in the running.
 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM         #7671
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Rank the top 10 players on Miami. There's not much to talk about right now so we can have some fun discussing the top players. Once the season starts we can update the rankings on weekly basis.

1. Brandon Harris

All-American as a sophmore. Made huge improvements. Was among the national leaders in passes defended. Third on the team in tackles, tied for 1st in interceptions, and 1st in passes defended. Some of the passes defended will likely turn into interceptions this season. With talk about our secondary being more aggressive we should see great things from him.

2. Allen Bailey

All-American type athletic ability but with raw talent. He finally has a position. An offseason working with Petri should term him into an elite DE. Last season he led the team in sacks and tackles for a loss. I expect him to be more consistent and more dominant.

3. Jacory Harris

He enters the season making it onto numerous award lists. He will likely get Heisman consideration. He will be a junior so this is the year it should come together for him. He is the leader of the offense. He is great in critical moments. He has ice in his veins and works his magic at the end of games. With improved decision making he should put up amazing numbers.

4. Colin McCarthy

He might be our most reliable defensive player. He doesn't get all the hype or praise but he is good. He might have his short comings but when he's on the field our defense is much better. Second on the team last in tackles, tackles for a loss, and interceptions.

5. Damien Berry & Graig Cooper (if healthy)

Berry is the true in between tackles RB we have been missing in recent years. He is a great compliment to Cooper. His tough running and great vision was a welcomed surprise last season.

He seems to take a lot of criticism from fans but he had been our best offensive player in recent seasons. He might not be the ideal every down back but he is versatile and helps the team as a runner, pass catcher, blocker and returner. Had he not been injured he might have been early to mid round draft pick.

6. Vaughn Telemaque

He might be the first big play safety in a few seasons. He showed a lot of promise last season but was inconsistent. Good in run support and showed an ability to attack the ball in the air. He seems to have found his "swagger" and his primed for a breakout season.

7. Leonard Hankerson

As of now he is the best WR on the team. He made big time improvements in his junior season. He made big catches and reduced his drops. He was our best big play WR. He led the team receptions, yards, touchdowns, and yards per reception.

8. Patrick Hill

FBs tend not to get much publicity but our offense seemed to stall when he went down w/ an injury. He is a great run blocker and pass blocker. He gave the offense toughness. He won't show up in the box score but he might be crucial to our offensive success.

9. Travis Benjamin & Laron Byrd

Both are in a similar boat. They both have shown flahses of greatness but tend to disappear and be inconsistent. They are both juniors this season and it is time for them to breakout and be the stars we all know they can be. Benjamin brings game changing speed and Byrd brings a good combination of size and speed. Along w/ Hankerson they should give us one of the best trio of WRs.

10. Sean Spence

This might be the most controversial selection to a lot of people. He had his ups and downs last year. Despite being injured for most of the season he was still 7th in tackles, 5th in tackles for a loss, and 3rd in sacks. He was our best blitzing LB and once he got hurt we saw a change in our defense. He was probably also our best LB in coverage which is why even when he was injured he still had to cover C.J. Spiller. He has a lot to prove after an inconsistent sophmore season. A return to his more nature possession, plus being healthy, and being more aggressive should help him return to All-ACC form.
 6 years ago '05        #7672
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
saw calais campbell at the grove, MR Moes last night...funny all that money and still dude hangs out in the grove :cool-smiley-009: he was with some hot chick that didnt even know his name, she had to ask me what his name was - all she knew was that he went to miami and played for the cardinals
 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM         #7673
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
WR Sammy Watkins Seems Serious about Clemson
July 25, 2010

Several weeks ago the No. 1 wide receiver recruit in Florida was in Clemson for three days participating in the Dabo Swinney Camp. Sammy Watkins, regarded as the nation's No. 4 athlete by Rivals.com, came back to Tiger Town from Thursday through Saturday morning with both of his parents to see more.

"Those were some great days," Watkins told Tigerillustrated.com Saturday evening. "On Thursday we just ate and I hung out with Tajh (Boyd) and we went to a party and chilled. I hung out with Bryce (McNeal) too. Those are some cool guys. We had a good time. Then I went back to campus the next morning. "On Friday we ate, took a tour, talked with the coaches and then I hung out again with Tajh. We just chilled out."

What were the returns from his parents? "They both like the environment," the Fort Meyers (FL) South Fort Meyers standout stated. "They like the coaches and the players. They like how the coaches are down-to-earth. They did all the stuff I did - academics, tour, and talked with the school's counselor."

Offensive guards and centers coach Brad Scott recruits southwest Florida for the Tigers. "He just let me have fun," the Rivals100 member said. "He didn't want to bore me and he just let me hang with the boys." Wide receivers coach Jeff Scott, Clemson's recruiting coordinator, and head coach Dabo Swinney also worked the blue-chip prospect while he was back in town. "They told me they weren't going to rush me and made me feel comfortable," said the 6-foot-1, 180-pounder. "Coach Swinney told me about the school, about his coaching career and how he grew up. He's been through a lot."

What stood out the most? "Cooling with the teammates and seeing the things they do before and after practice," said Watkins. "They just crack jokes and hang out. I got to see how they act."

How does Watkins feel about Clemson now? "I have really high expectations," he said. "I really like them. But I've got to find out more about other places, too."

Who leads now? "I don't know yet," noted the No. 10-rated prospect in Florida. "I really like Clemson, but I have to see about other places and consider them, too. "I wouldn't say anyone is the leader right now. I don't have one. I have high interest in Miami, Florida, Clemson, Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama and a few others."

What's his plan going forward? "I'll probably visit Miami and Gainesville this weekend or next. I'm going to take some official visits during the season to Clemson, Miami, Florida, Alabama and probably Tennessee. I'm not sure though.

"I want to announce at the (US Army) All-American game but things might change."

As a junior, Watkins had 46 catches for 1,192 yards, for a 25.9 yards per catch average, and 14 touchdowns, earning First Team All State honors in AAA.
 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM         #7674
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
DB Commit Albert Louis-Jean: Schools are recruiting against UM

Jul 25, 2010

Brockton (MA) High School DB and Cane commitment Albert Louis-Jean says his decision to attend UM hasn't stopped other schools from staying hot on his trail.

"Penn State, USC, North Carolina and Boston College are recruiting me - others are, too, but not as hard as those schools," Louis-Jean said. "They send me handwritten mail, email me, tell me why I should take another look at their schools. They mention Miami, try to pick out bad things about Miami. They say that the academics at Miami aren't that good, try to say coach (Randy) Shannon might not be there, things like that. I don't really pay attention to that - it's a business. They just do it to make you think `Oh man, Miami might not be good.' But I used my head and obviously the academics are really good and Coach Shannon just signed an extension."

Louis-Jean says he's a solid commitment, and he says he "may make a trip down there for fall camp."

His own season is also at the forefront right now.

"I'm trying to improve on everything," he said. "You're never good enough. I'm going to the Gridiron Kings camp (July 24-25). I was invited and it's another chance to compete."

Louis-Jean is working out every day from 8:30 a.m. until 1 p.m.

"I'm a much better player - smarter, too - from last year," he says. "I'd say physically, that's the biggest jump, my physicalness. And my technique as a cornerback is much better, too."

Louis-Jean says he'll have an expanded role on his team this year. Whereas last year he played cornerback and receiver and returned punts, this year he'll play receiver, wildcat quarterback, cornerback, safety and will return kickoffs as well as punts.

"My role will be much different this year," Louis-Jean said. "I'm working out just for that."

Louis-Jean says he expects to get a look as a return man once he arrives at UM as well.

"I last talked to coaches on Friday - I talked to coach (Jeff) Stoutland," Louis-Jean said. "I told him I was coming down for the Kings camp, and he was letting me know what the players on the team were doing, what their schedules are like."
 6 years ago '05        #7675
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
• UM people said these June freshmen arrivals have impressed in on-field work: Brandon Linder (will push junior center Tyler Horn); cornerback Devont'a Davis (Vaughn Telemaque expects him to play in 2010); tight ends Clive Walford, 6-4, and Asante Cleveland, 6-5 (``they know how to use height to their advantage'' as receivers, Telemaque said); and running back Eduardo Clements (``shifty, quick dude,'' Damien Berry said).
• One competition UM people are eager to see is Thearon Collier against Kendal Thompkins for playing time as the primary slot receiver. ``Thompkins has a knack [to get to] the end zone,'' Telemaque said.
LaRon Byrd said UM players ``have been there to support'' Collier, who disclosed on Facebook in May that his son passed away. Collier's family has endured incredible pain -- his father was murdered before Collier was born. ``It's a tragedy losing a newborn, and it shows how strong he is that he's been out here'' practicing, Byrd said.
 6 years ago '05        #7676
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Director Billy Corben and his team at Rakontur put out the most compelling 30 for 30 doc for ESPN last fall when "The U" aired in December. The two-disc set will be released 8/17 and we're officially taking preorders. Disc 1 contains the main feature, deleted scenes and director commentary. Disc 2 features four condensed games: Miami @ Duke (10/01/83), South Carolina @ Miami (12/05/87), Miami v. Alabama (01/01/90) and Miami @ Florida State (11/16/91). Total run time of both discs is 142 minutes. allCanes is offering FREE SHIPPING on all preorders through 8/15. DVD should be ordered separately from other items, as to not hold up the rest of your order as preorders won't ship until release date.

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #7677
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Preseason Heisman Trophy candidate Christian Ponder no doubt did a double-take Sunday when he saw the monster who would be coming after him like a runaway freight train in October at Sun Life Stadium.
``Yeah, I saw him,'' Ponder, the Florida State quarterback, said of University of Miami defensive end Allen Bailey, who sacked him once in the 2009 opener. ``I didn't realize how big he was. He's like the friggin' Jolly Green Giant.''
Bailey said his nicknames include Big Bailey, Big Dog, The Hulk and The Green Mile. This green-and-orange giant is one that his teammates are glad didn't get away. The soft-spoken Bailey, a senior, told reporters that the NFL College Advisory Committee, made up of various NFL personnel directors, had projected that he would be taken late in the first round or early in the second of this year's NFL Draft.
Bailey said he gave it two days' thought -- at most. His decision already was made.
``I had made up my mind to come back,'' said Bailey, a 2009 first-team All-ACC defensive lineman who led UM with seven sacks and 11 tackles-for-loss. ``I just felt the bond with this team. I didn't finish last year like I wanted to. With this team, hopefully we can win it all.''
However the Hurricanes finish, Bailey is bound to be instrumental. The UM Strength Training Athlete of the Year, Bailey is 6-4 and 285 pounds, with 9 percent body fat. He was timed in the 40-yard dash at the end of May in a defensive-line best of 4.65 seconds, a bit faster than fellow end Andrew Smith, said strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey. Two weeks ago, Swasey recorded Bailey's squat at 585 pounds, bench press at 415 and power clean at 405.
``He's got freakish genetics,'' Swasey said. ``He's such a hard-working, blue-collar guy. He earns everything he gets with character and work ethic. Regardless of how he feels, he never complains. This extra year of college will be a plus for us and for him.''
Although Bailey has played tackle and end, and came to UM as a linebacker from McIntosh County Academy in Georgia, he is expected to play left end this season. He is on the 2010 Nagurski Trophy Watch List but realizes that all that watching will be futile if his numbers decline like they did last season. After sacks against FSU, Oklahoma, Florida A&M, Clemson and Wake Forest, Bailey failed to get another in the final five games against Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, USF and Wisconsin.
``It frustrated me a little bit,'' he said. ``I was getting double-teamed more often.''
This season, Miami's line is clearly the strength and depth of its defense. Bailey said there are at least 16 linemen. Adewale Ojomo is back after a year of recuperating from a broken jaw and is slated for right end. Behind Ojomo, Bailey said, are sophomore Olivier Vernon and redshirt freshman Dyron Dye. Behind Bailey are senior Steven Wesley, junior Marcus Robinson and Dye (he plays both sides).
``We have the talent, the athleticism and the numbers,'' Bailey said. ``I feel like our pass-rushing and our hands as a whole have improved.''
UM kicker Matt Bosher, who accompanied Bailey on Sunday, was asked to describe him.
``Look at him,'' Bosher said. ``He's huge. The scary thing is he's so big and he's faster than I am -- ridiculously athletic. Great teammate. Great leader. Always does the right thing and always works hard. He's a good [role model] for young guys. He doesn't talk back.''
Perhaps Bailey is best known for where he was raised: Sapelo Island, a state-protected area reachable only by boat. The island is managed by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Bailey's community of Hog Hammock, with a population under 100, is inhabited mostly by black people who are descendants of slaves.
``Not that many people,'' he said. ``I'm pretty much kin to all of them.''
Bailey grew up hunting for his food -- alligators, raccoons, wild hogs and the like. He said he is still waiting to take home his roommate, cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke.
``He might be scared the whole time, knowing him,'' Bailey said.
Just like those quarterbacks.

Read more:
 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM         #7678
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jackson's comments after FNL:

Vero Beach (FL) High School OL and Cane commitment Marcus Jackson was a standout at the University of Florida's Friday Night Lights camp three days ago.

He worked closely there with Gator coach Steve Addazio.

"He was teaching me some things about my pass protection," Jackson said. "There was a lot of things he taught me, really small things that can help in the passing game."

While Addazio was in his ear all camp, Jackson says the coach didn't make a big push to have him decommit from Miami.

"No, when I was at the campus it was a competitive nature," Jackson said. "It was competing, wasn't a recruiting thing. They were just trying to make me better as a player, teach me about the stance. There's a lot of things we don't do at my high school, don't run a zone blocking system.

"When I was there, they have the videos and tell the whole group about what they do at Florida. After that it was just a camp."

Jackson earned plenty of praise from observers for his work at the camp.

"There was a lot of good competition out there," Jackson said. "I just came out there with the simple fact I wanted to have a great time and see how I stacked up with everyone else. I just wanted to have the right mindset.

"I knew I could do well, but the thing about it is I didn't know I did as well as everyone said I was doing. I knew I wasn't getting beat, but there's always something you can do better - if the technique isn't perfect it doesn't matter if you do win.

Jackson says he's noncommittal on taking other visits or where he might go.

"I just don't even know right now," he said.

Of more immediate concern: Recuperating from the strenuous camp.

"I'm sore - my neck is all sore from doing one on one, hitting bags," he said.

Of his UM commitment level, Jackson said, "It's a commitment. I'm committed to Miami. You know the story of why I committed, it's my dream school. So it is what it is."
 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM         #7679
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Recruiting Blog:
* I met, talked to, and watched a ton of players over the last three days. Friday night was FNL in Gainesville and then the weekend was watching a national 7on7 event in Orlando with 64 of the top skill position kids from across the country. I learned a lot, some of which I can't print yet. I will print a bunch and have a bunch of follow up interviews coming up in the next few days. Today's blog will focus on offensive recruits.

* 5-star QB commit Teddy Bridgewater was expected to be in Gainesville for FNL but he didn't go. He's done with the process. No one else has a chance. He's all Cane and is actively recruiting for Miami. The UF coaches probably didn't want him anywhere near their campus Friday night because of that.

* The most explosive offensive player in this year's Florida class is probably 5-star RB Mike Bellamy. A Clemson commitment, Bellamy was excellent at FNL and is still considering the Canes. NSD is a long ways away but Miami's not out of it, I promise you.

* I met and watched 5-star RB Savon Huggins for the first time this weekend. He's built a good relationship with Coach Stoutland and is still definitely considering the Canes. He moves well and is a great athlete who could probably be a top prospect at a few positions. He has an offer from the Canes but I keep hearing that Rutgers has put themselves in great position here. It's probably one or none at RB this year and Huggins is definitely in that mix.

* 5-star WR prospect Sammy Watkins spent 4 days at Clemson and left on Sunday without making a commitment to the Tigers. The Canes are in his top two and UM will now likely try getting him down to their campus for some time before the start of the season. Watkins doesn't have much interest in the Gators, where his brother just signed. This one will likely come down to the wire. A positive for UM is that his area recruiting coach is also his position coach and recruiting coordinator (Aubrey Hill). He remains what appears to be a major priority at WR.

* 4-star WR prospect Victor Blackwell is another kid I first met and watched this past weekend. I hardly even knew his name going in. He was arguably the most talented WR there. When the West team needed a big play, they went to Blackwell and not Kasen Williams (No. 1 WR on Scout). He was their most productive player and looks like a big time talent. 6-1, skinny but runs great routes and competes. He's committed to USC but he spoke very highly about Miami and says the Canes have started turning up the recruiting heat on him lately. He's definitely one to keep an eye on.

* 4-star TE prospect Nick O'Leary was the MVP of the orlando event. Big, big time performance, yet again. Top 4 player in the state and he's as good a TE prospect this state has produced in my 9 years in the business. He continues speaking highly of Miami and the Canes appear to be in solid shape. Florida State, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama round out the schools he's still considering. FSU is probably the top competition. He's better than any of the TE's UM just signed and it's probably not even close.
 6 years ago '04        #7680
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
these n*ggas are sloooow.

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy