70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '07        #7581
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 Deeangoe said:
SEANTREL To the U...just flashed on ESPN :applause:
No lie, dude is prolly one of the best LT prospects Ive ever heard of. This s**t is some real good news:applause:

Shannon got this on lock:cool-smiley-009:
 6 years ago '06        #7582
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
Some UM talk while waiting on Dwyane Wade and LeBron James to decide:

The bulk of the Hurricanes' recruiting class arrived on campus last week, delivering an infusion of talent at defensive back, tight end and elsewhere. ``People underrated our class -- we all talked about that at the spring game,'' said Jeremy Davis, who said he won't know until August if he is OK academically to enroll. ``We take the criticism very personally. We're out to prove everyone wrong.'' As Kacy Rodgers said, ``We might not have the most five-star recruits, but we have some of the best athletes.''

Seventeen newcomers arrived Tuesday, but coach Randy Shannon told WQAM 560 that six others ``are waiting on [NCAA] Clearinghouse issues.'' Among the six who did not report: Davis, Parade All-American safety Latwan Anderson (who is coming to UM on a track scholarship and expects to arrive in August) and Pembroke Pines University School defensive end David Perry (his high school coach said his academics are good and doesn't expect a problem).

So who is most likely to play as freshmen? Recruiting analyst Charles Fishbein said offensive lineman Brandon Linder, linebacker Kevin Nelson and defensive backs Anderson and Devont'a Davis. Also, expect to see junior tight end Chase Ford and linebacker Travis Williams.

Of six January arrivals, Fishbein said guard Malcolm Bunche and linebacker Tyrone Cornelius could play in 2010. UM loves Storm Johnson but prefers to redshirt him, unless he proves in August he's clearly one of its top two running backs. Quarterback Stephen Morris likely will redshirt. Chatter on some of the newest arrivals:

• Last week's running back arrivals (Eduardo Clements, Darion Hall and fullback Maurice Hagens) figure to redshirt. But Clements, who scored 50 touchdowns at Miami Booker T. Washington, said: ``Me redshirting is a waste of time. I can line up at receiver or in the backfield; that's what I have more than any back there. I compare myself with Clinton Portis.''

• Jeremy Davis (if eligible), Devont'a Davis, Rodgers and Keion Payne said they were told they will play cornerback initially -- where four returning players are ahead of them -- but several also can play safety. Losing Jeremy Davis would be a blow -- he and Anderson are UM's fastest recruits. . . . Rodgers has a good mentor -- his father, Kacy, is the Dolphins' defensive line coach and had his son get tips from Will Allen and Yeremiah Bell. One problem: ``I'm color blind,'' Rodgers said. ``My mom thinks it affects me because I drop so many interceptions.''

Anderson doesn't know if he will play offense (receiver) or defense; there's a good chance he ends up at safety (where he had 11 interceptions in 2009) or cornerback. On the Sept. 11 UM-at-Ohio State game, the Ohio-based Anderson told Insidetheu.com, ``If they give me a chance, I can be one of the reasons why we win that game . . . because I hate [the Buckeyes] so much.''

• UM coaches love what they have seen on tape of Ford, who is by far the most likely to play in 2010 of the tight end arrivals (Andrew Tallman, Clive Walford, Asante Cleveland). He had 32 catches for 545 yards at Kilgore (Texas) JC in 2009, has been compared by a former coach to Jeremy Shockey and should beat out Billy Sanders for the No. 2 job and put pressure on starter Richard Gordon.

• Linder, the gem among six new offensive lineman, ``might be Miami's best [2010] recruit,'' analyst Tom Lemming said. He could end up at tackle, but UM initially will give him work at center, where January arrival Shane McDermott is competing behind unproven Tyler Horn.

• Nelson could start at middle linebacker in 2011, and UM also is high on Norfolk, Va.'s Williams, who had 69 career sacks, plus 14 forced fumbles the past two seasons. ``He could be elite if he puts on 30 pounds,'' Lemming said. ``Long arms and great burst and closing speed.''

CHATTER

• Elite St. Paul, Minn. offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson, who signed with Southern California in March, is considering UM again because he's unhappy USC was placed on probation. Henderson did not report with the other freshmen last week, and coach Lane Kiffin told The Los Angeles Times that he has had to ``rerecruit'' Henderson and doesn't know what will happen.

If he doesn't report, he must sit out a year unless USC grants him a release. Henderson loves UM -- ex-Cane Bryant McKinnie is one of his idols -- but his father, who declined to comment, is believed to have steered him away from Miami during recruiting.
 6 years ago '06        #7583
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
is it official... he got let go of his scholarship and commited to miami?
 6 years ago '07        #7584
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
Clements might be nice, but he gonna have to raise his game cus Portis's game is nasty. Best blocking skills for a RB and always brought it come game time

I remember readin Portis, first day at practice, went to the starting RB and said your job is mine. A freshmen sayin that would be gully
 6 years ago '09        #7585
MOTM 70 heat pts70
space
space
$1,340 | Props total: 343 343
wtf, Rodgers is color blind? damn

And if Seantrell comes to Miami, our running game is gonna be unstoppable with the line we will have.
 6 years ago '06        #7586
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
eantrel Henderson reportedly in Miami
Posted by John Taylor on July 4, 2010 10:17 AM ET
What, just because it's a holiday you thought you were going to get a break from round-the-clock coverage of Seantrel Henderson? That's just crazy talk.

The latest installment of the lineman's saga comes once again from the St. Paul Pioneer Press and further buttresses the fact that the feet of the nation's top recruit could be getting so cold that he may very well wind up playing at the collegiate level on the opposite coast.

According to Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press, Henderson was in Miami on Saturday. Miami, of course, was reportedly Henderson's second choice after the Trojans on his to-go list, and Walters reported last week that Henderson was leaning toward the Hurricanes yet again.

Combined with the fact that head coach Lane Kiffin and several other members of the football program have twice flown to Henderson's home in Minnesota in an attempt to "re-recruit" the tackle -- not to mention the Henderson camp refusing to comment on his status -- it would seem the odds are very long that Henderson ever puts on a cardinal and gold jersey.

Walters also raises an interesting point regarding Henderson's Letter of Intent. The Henderson's are claiming that Kiffin a.ssured the recruit there would be no major sanctions for the football program, and that could be used as a way to secure a waiver from the NCAA in getting out of the LOI and not having to sit out a transfer year.
i dont think we can talk to him by NCAA Rules

only there seniors and juniors ..

Last edited by DEDOS; 07-04-2010 at 07:15 PM..
 6 years ago '04        #7587
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
henderson is a supreme talent but he seems kind of annoying
 6 years ago '06        #7588
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
actually looks USC will be forced to release him

this kid could start next season right away hes that good :wow:

Psst: Seantrel Henderson, the 6-foot-8, 350-pound Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman who committed to Southern California before the Trojans were severely penalized by the NCAA, was in Miami on Saturday. The Hurricanes were believed to be Henderson's second choice behind USC, which has been futilely waiting for him to report.

Henderson would have to be released from his tender by USC to be eligible to play elsewhere next season. Evidence exists that USC coach Lane Kiffin a.ssured Henderson there would be no major penalties for football, and that could be used in a waiver request to leave USC.
:rasta:
 6 years ago '07        #7589
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
In 30 years of ranking high school football players across the country, Tom Lemming said he has never tabbed an offensive lineman as the top overall player in a class.

But that changed recently when Lemming, the leader of the pack when it comes to recruiting gurus and the author of Prep Football Report, named Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson, a senior-to-be, as the No. 1 overall player in the country for the class of 2010.

"He's a cross between Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace," said Lemming, referring to two of the best offensive tackles in the NFL over the past decade. "I don't know if I've ever seen someone that good and that big at that age, who is that kind of an athlete."
Havent had someone like this since Mckinnie came through, this s**t better work out

Too far ahead to tell, but dudes talent points to a 3 year player and straight to the pro's type baller
 6 years ago '06        #7590
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
ESPN Insider artical "Miami to debut rocketship RB"????

Even after a season in which he led Miami to nine wins and back into the national consciousness -- at least for awhile -- Randy Shannon's future at his alma mater was still anything but certain.

And it had a distinctly negative affect on his recruiting last year.

That finally changed on May 12, when the former Hurricanes linebacker was rewarded with a four-year contract extension that rid him of the distinction of being the lowest paid coach in the ACC.

It was a development Shannon considered a major victory for his program, even if it didn't come soon enough to make an immediate impact on this fall's incoming freshman class.

"The biggest issue I heard recruiting last year was 'Coach, you changed it around, so why won't they give you a contract extension?' " Shannon said. "There were schools saying 'They don't want him there,' and no matter how much I said they do want me here, there were recruits and parents who weren't seeing that part."

2010 Schedule
Sept. 2 -- Florida A&M
11 -- @Ohio State
23 -- @Pittsburgh
Oct. 2 -- @Clemson
9 -- Florida State
16 -- @Duke
23 -- North Carolina
30 -- @Virginia
Nov. 6 -- Maryland
13 -- @Georgia Tech
20 -- Virginia Tech
27 -- USF

2009 Schedule and Results
2009 Statistics
Now maybe they'll finally believe Shannon, who went 12-13 in his first two seasons before turning things around with Miami's first nine-win season since 2005.

Shannon also won praise by keeping his players out of trouble and in the classroom. The Hurricanes were one of only two ACC teams (Duke was the other) to be recognized by the NCAA for being in the top 10 percent nationally in its Academic Progress Report scores.

"I'm here, and it's going to be for the long term," Shannon said. "For recruiting purposes, now people will see that instead of us telling them that."

The best recruiting tool Shannon has could be the team he'll put out on the field in 2010.

With a proven leader in quarterback Jacory Harris an opportunistic defense that swarms to the ball on every play and the kind of team speed reminiscent of Miami's glory days -- of which Shannon was a part -- the Hurricanes have a chance to improve even more on the strides they made in 2009.

THE STAFF
Head Coach: Randy Shannon (Miami '89)
Record at school: 21-17 (4th year)
Career record: 21-17 (4th year)

Assistants:
Mark Whipple (Brown '79) a.ssistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
John Lovett (C.W. Post '73) Defensive Coordinator
Michael Barrow (Miami '92) Linebackers
Mike Cassano (New Hampshire '94) Running Backs
Aubrey Hill (Florida '96) Wide Receivers
Wesley McGriff (Savannah State '90) Secondary
Joe Pannunzio (Southern Colorado '82) Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
Rick Petri (Missouri-Rolla '76) Defensive Line
Jeff Stoutland (Southern Connecticut State '84) Offensive Line

QUARTERBACKS
The quarterback is, almost without exception, the most important player on every college team. But no quarterback in the nation may be as important to his particular team as junior Jacory Harris (6-4, 190) is to the Hurricanes.

After prevailing in a battle with classmate Robert Marve as a freshman -- leading to Marve's transfer to Purdue -- Harris blossomed last season in new offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's wide-open attack. He passed for 3,352 yards, tops among ACC quarterbacks, and 24 touchdowns to establish himself as an early Heisman Trophy candidate this year.

In order to realize that kind of potential, though, Harris must first learn to make better decisions with the football, especially when under pressure, as illustrated by his league-leading 17 interceptions.

Complicating matters is a thumb injury that required surgery to repair in January. Though Harris was held out of spring practice while completing his rehab of once-ruptured ligaments, he is expected to be back at full strength by the time fall camp begins.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but Shannon thinks Harris may have gotten almost as much benefit from not participating in spring drills as he would have if he'd been out on the field.

"You take something away from somebody, it wakes a lot of guys up," Shannon said. "I think that happened to Jacory. It makes you see things. A lot of times he was like, 'Why did he make that throw? What was he thinking?' If he were in the same situation, would he make that throw? I think he saw things from a coaches' perspective and not a player's perspective. It makes guys understand what needs to be done."

Another potential positive of Harris' absence during the spring is the opportunity it gave to his untested backups.

Sophomore A.J. Highsmith (6-0, 195) spent last season as Harris' understudy and got the majority of reps after attempting only six passes last season. Early enrolling freshman Stephen Morris (6-0, 186) also put in plenty of work and impressed his new coaches and teammates with his strong arm.

While Morris is likely to push Highsmith for the No. 2 job once fall arrives, the edge should eventually go to the more experienced and athletic sophomore -- whose father was a member of Miami's 1983 national championship team.

"We've seen improvement from A.J. Highsmith, Stephen Morris and also [walk-on junior] Spencer Whipple (6-2, 200), a young man who came up and had a great spring game," Shannon said. "We feel kind of confident in what we have. But like anything, you want to make sure you have depth [so] that the football team is where you need to be in case injuries come."

Whipple, the son of the Hurricanes' offensive coordinator, is a walk-on who transferred to Miami from Massachusetts. His presence gives Shannon the flexibility to red-shirt Morris with an eye on the future.

RUNNING BACKS
The Hurricanes are in basically the same situation at running back as they are at quarterback, with projected starter Graig Cooper (6-0, 205) missing spring practice while rehabbing from offseason surgery.

Cooper, a senior, injured his knee in Miami's bowl loss to Wisconsin. a.ssuming he's ready to return by his team's Sept. 4 opener against Florida A&M -- and his progress was described as being ahead of schedule -- the versatile back could rank fourth in the ACC in career rushing yardage after this season. He currently sits at 2,218 yards.

Almost 700 of those yards came last season when he not only led the Hurricanes in rushing, but was also an effective receiver out of the backfield and a kick returner.

Even without Cooper or sophomore Lee Chambers (5-10, 192), who also sat out the spring and is also a question mark because of injury, Miami is hardly wanting for quality backs to carry the ball.

Senior Damien Berry (5-11, 217) is a proven commodity after rushing for 616 yards and a 6.6 yards-per-carry average with eight touchdowns despite not seeing action until the season's fifth game. Sophomore Mike James (5-11, 220) has also been moved back to tailback after a rookie season in which he was asked to fill in at fullback.

The coaching staff is also high on red-shirt freshman Lamar Miller (5-11, 205), a speed-burner running backs coach Mike Cassano said deserves the opportunity to contribute right now.

"He's a rocket ship," Cassano told the Miami Herald even before spring practice. "Defensive coordinators will hold their breath when he has the ball."

Another talented youngster with the natural ability to be a factor this season is true freshman Storm Johnson (5-11, 210), a power back with deceptive speed and lateral quickness. The Hurricanes may have a hard time finding playing time for all the backs in their stable, especially if Cooper and Chambers are ready to go from day one.

At fullback, senior Pat Hill (5-9, 255) is recovered from an ankle injury and is primed to return to his starting position. Junior John Calhoun (6-3, 255) performed so well during the spring as Hill's backup that Shannon and Cassano are confident enough to keep James at tailback permanently.

RECEIVERS
The competition at wide receiver promises to be even fiercer than at running back, with the top three pass catchers from last season all returning to go along with a group of talented newcomers that, in the estimation of Shannon, "can make things happen."

Senior Leonard Hankerson (6-3, 215) is the best of the bunch. He's a big, fast target who led Miami with 45 catches, six touchdowns and a 17.8-yard aver-age last year. His 801 yards were the most by a Hurricane receiver since Andre Johnson -- now with the NFL's Houston Texans -- in 2002.

Also back is junior LaRon Byrd (6-4, 215), an even bigger receiver who served as the team's possession receiver while ranking second with 33 catches for 460 yards. Junior Travis Benjamin (5-10, 175) provides Miami with a dangerous third option who, like Hankerson, averaged more than 17 yards per catch last season while scoring four touchdowns.

Even with all the production and experience those three receivers bring to quarterback Harris and the Hurricanes, there are others on the roster capable of pushing them to get better or even earn some meaningful playing time of their own. That's something Shannon said hasn't always been the case during his tenure.

"The biggest thing is that we're finally able to have some competition and be competitive," Shannon said. "If you have a young man who had a bad week and may have dropped three or four passes [in practice], you just go to the next guy and he knows 'I just can't rely on what I did week-by-week. I have to be totally committed to being the best I can be every time step on the football field.' "

Included in that second group of receivers is junior Thearon Collier (5-9, 192), who started one game and caught 18 passes last season while excelling as a punt and kick returner. Junior Aldarius Johnson (6-3, 208) also has experience having caught 16 passes for a 17.2-yard average in 2009.

Sophomore Kendal Thompkins (5-10, 180), who played mostly on special teams a year ago, made a significant jump up the depth cart with a strong spring, while Tommy Streeter (6-5, 205) showed what he can do with a 47-yard reception against Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl. Alan Hurns (6-1, 170) is a true freshman who enrolled in January and went through spring practice.

The tight end situation isn't nearly as stable after the loss of both Dedrick Epps and Jimmy Graham.

The most experienced replacement is massive Richard Gordon (6-4, 270), a senior who played in all 12 games in 2008 but was injured in last year's season-opener against Florida State and didn't play again.

Redshirt freshman Billy Sanders (6-4, 248), a highly rated prospect from Arizona, is currently the next option, although it's almost certain that Shannon may end up seeking help from a recruiting haul that brought in three freshmen and a junior college transfer to help fill the need.

The JUCO, Chase Ford (6-6, 245), figures to bring the most immediate help because of his size and previous college experience.

OFFENSIVE LINE
The Hurricanes also have their work cut out for them on the offensive line, where replacements need to be found at three positions. The situation, however, isn't quite as desperate as it is at tight end because of the return of senior Orlando Franklin (6-7, 318) at left tackle and Joel Figueroa (6-5, 330) at one of the guard spots.

At the same time, though, both of those linemen -- along with projected starter Brandon Washington (6-4, 330) -- missed all or part of spring practice with injuries, further complicating the situation.

Franklin was an honorable mention All-ACC selection last season who has been moved to the left side to replace Detroit Lions draftee Jason Fox. He has started 25 career games at right tackle and produced a team-leading 51 pancake blocks last season. But he missed the final two weeks of spring practice with back spasms.

Figueroa, also a senior, missed all of spring practice while recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. If healthy, he too will be a candidate for postseason honors. Sophomore Washington started the final two games of 2009 at guard, but his spring was also cut short by a knee injury. a.ssuming all three are ready to go by the season opener, they'll form the nucleus of a solid starting unit with the addition of junior Tyler Horn (6-4, 300) at center and red-shirt freshman Jermaine Johnson (6-6, 310).

Depth, however, is a major concern, with only eight scholarship offensive linemen still healthy and available for the Hurricanes' spring game. That includes a pair of true freshmen that enrolled in January, Shane McDermott (6-3, 275) and Malcom Bunche (6-6, 315).

Like Johnson, McDermott and Bunche, red-shirt freshmen Cory White (6-5, 260), Jared Wheeler (6-5, 330) and converted tight end Stephen Plein (6-6, 260) are promising line prospects but have never played a single college snap.

That would explain why junior Harland Gunn (6-2, 315) is listed on the depth chart as the backup at both guard positions, sophomore Ben Jones (6-5, 300) is the backup at both tackle positions and Washington, despite being listed as a starter at guard, is also the top backup at center.
 6 years ago '09        #7591
MOTM 70 heat pts70
space
space
Kid may be a headcase, but sometimes you need some crazy mofos on the team
 6 years ago '06        #7592
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Continued

DEFENSIVE LINE
In a move hailed as a major step toward returning Miami's defense to the level of its intimidating past, Rick Petri was brought back from Kentucky to serve as the Hurricanes' defensive line coach.

Petri previously coached at Miami for three seasons from 1993-95 and helped develop Warren Sapp as the anchor of a defense that led the nation in scoring on its way to a pair of BCS bowl appearances.

Petri's current crop of linemen is a strong one with three returning starters, led by versatile senior Allen Bailey (6-4, 288), who earned first-team All-ACC honors while splitting his time between tackle and end last season.

Bailey will concentrate solely on rushing the passer from the end this year, a move that figures to help him increase his team-leading total of seven sacks and 11 tackles for loss.

His full-time presence at end and the attention he commands could have a positive effect on the performance on junior Andrew Smith (6-2, 245) on the other side of the field. A virtual nonfactor with only one sack while starting seven games last season, the newly bulked up Smith was one of Miami's top performers in spring practice.

Senior Josh Holmes (6-0, 280) started eight games at tackle in '09 and will again be in the mix at the position, though he'll have to f!ght to keep his spot against the challenge of junior Micanor Regis (6-3, 300) and sophomore Curtis Porter (6-1, 315) -- both of whom have been compared by Shannon to former Hurricane All-America Vince Wilfork.

Junior Jeremy Lewis (6-3, 310) has the physical skills to compete for time at tackle, if he can finally begin to master the mental side of the game.

The wild cards in Miami's defensive line deck are sophomore Marcus Forston (6-3, 310) and junior Adewale Ojomo (6-4, 253).

A freshman All-America in 2008 with 18 tackles and three sacks, Fortson played in two of the first three games last season before missing the rest of the year with a shoulder injury. He received a medical hardship and has the potential, if healthy, to be a game-changer in the middle for the Hurricanes.

Ojomo has the same kind of potential at end, provided he has grown as much emotionally as he says he has after missing last season with a broken jaw suffered a few weeks before the first game in a locker room altercation with a teammate. He looked in good form during Miami's spring game, during which he recovered a fumble.

LINEBACKERS
Shannon can hardly control his excitement when talking about his deep, talented group of linebackers -- which is saying something, considering that the Hurricanes coach is an old linebacker himself.

The unit is anchored by senior Colin McCarthy (6-3, 242), a hard-hitting leader on the weak side who has a history of injuries but still earned second-team All-ACC recognition in 2009 while leading the team with 95 tackles, including 11 for loss.

On the strong side, junior Sean Spence (6-0, 212) served notice by making a team-high eight tackles in the spring game that his "sophomore slump" -- as Shannon called it -- is a thing of the past and he's ready to regain the form that helped him become the ACC's Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2008.

"He's back to the old Sean Spence," Shannon said.

In the middle, senior Kylan Robinson (6-1, 235) took advantage of a shoulder injury that kept junior Ramon Buchanan (6-1, 215) sidelined during the spring to show off his skills and grab hold of the starting job vacated by Darryl Sharpton. Robinson notched 17 tackles, three sacks and a pair of quarterback hurries in a reserve role last season.

"Kylan Robinson really stepped up [as] a fifth-year senior and looked like a linebacker from the days that we've played," Shannon said.

The depth at linebacker will depend on the physical condition of Buchanan and junior Jordan Futch (6-2, 235), both of whom were held out of spring drills.

Buchanan is a converted safety with 4.48 speed -- best among the Hurricanes linebackers -- to go along with better-than-average strength. His injury was described by Shannon as being to an "upper extremity" and is not considered serious.

Futch, on the other hand, is coming back from a knee injury that caused him to miss the final seven regular-season games and the Champs Sports Bowl. He had four tackles in five games as a reserve before going down.

Other linebackers battling for a spot in the rotation include sophomore C.J. Holton (6-1, 215), red-shirt freshman Shayon Green (6-2, 235) and early enrolling true freshman Tyrone Cornelius (6-2, 189).

Another possibility is fall arrival Travis Williams (6-2, 189), a four-star recruit considered to be among the top members of Miami's 2010 recruiting class.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Based solely on returning personnel, it would seem as though Miami's secondary would be in great shape.

Starting corners Brandon Harris (5-11, 195) and DeMarcus VanDyke (6-1, 185) are both back, as is sophomore free safety Vaughn Telemaque (6-2, 197). And of the candidates vying for the starting spot at strong safety, sophomore Ray Ray Armstrong (6-4, 220) and red-shirt freshman Jamal Reid (6-1, 180) are both supremely gifted athletes with big-time pedigrees.

But that talent and experience sure wasn't on display during the Hurricanes' spring game. Despite the fact starting quarterback Jacory Harris was standing on the sidelines watching, Miami's first-team defensive backs -- with the exception of an injured Brandon Harris -- were among those consistently toasted in a 58-53 shootout that unexpectedly raised questions about the Hurricanes' ability to defend the pass.

Brandon Harris' presence in the lineup will definitely help come fall. Between the junior's leadership and the fact that he's a first-team All-ACC cover guy who led the nation in passes defended while adding two interceptions and 15 deflections, he's the kind of player who can make those around him better.

Shannon and defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff would like to see a few more interceptions from their team than the nine it recorded last season -- the second-lowest total in the ACC.

Another priority is developing some depth, especially at the corners where young backups Brandon McGee (6-0, 190) and Nate Gholston (5-7, 180) had a tough time covering the Hurricanes' big veteran receivers in the spring.

Help could be on the way in the form of senior Ryan Hill (6-0, 205) a converted wide receiver who was slowed during the spring because of injury, sophomore JoJo Nicolas (6-1, 200), who played only three games before getting hurt last season, and senior walk-on Corey Nelms (6-1, 195), an All-ACC sprinter on the Hurricanes' track team.

SPECIAL TEAMS
The Hurricanes' kicking game is among the best in the ACC -- if not the best -- as long as Bosher is handling the chores, though there are some questions about who might handle kickoffs in an effort to take some of the load off the do-it-all senior.

As far as the return game is concerned, wide receiver Collier brought back two punts for touchdowns last season -- a 61-yarder against Florida A&M and one for 60 yards against Virginia -- but his average of 13.2 yards per return didn't rank among either the NCAA or ACC statistics because he didn't have enough attempts to qualify.

Even with his contribution, the Hurricanes still ranked only eighth in the ACC in both kickoff and punt returns.

Because injured running back Cooper was Miami's primary return man, Collier figures to get more work this season. Among the others who could be called upon to bring back kicks are defensive back Brandon Harris, wide receiver Benjamin and one of the many backup running backs battling for playing time.

The kick coverage team, like the return team, ranked in the middle of the ACC pack, with the only real blemish on its record being a return for a touchdown by Clemson's C.J. Spiller.

Junior Chris Ivory (6-2, 228) returns as the long snapper while Shannon is still undecided on who will be the holder, though he said that because he likes to have the option of a fake, the job will probably go to one of the backup quarterbacks.

KICKERS
The Hurricanes are set at kicker with senior Matt Bosher (6-0, 205), who in addition to being a first-team All-ACC selection on field goals and extra points was also the second-team choice as a punter.

After missing two of his first four field goals last season -- both in a victory against Georgia Tech -- the Lou Groza Award candidate went the rest of the year without missing again. He made his last 12 to finish 14-of-16.

Not only does Bosher lead the nation among active kickers with a field goal percentage of .889 (32-of-36), he has also made all 90 of his career extra point attempts, the third longest streak in Miami history.

Because of Bosher's workload, special teams coach Joe Pannunzio tried to give someone else the kickoff chores last season. But that didn't work out, and Bosher was eventually brought back to replace the inconsistent Alex Uribe.

Given Bosher's importance to the team, there's a good chance Pannunzio will try to deal off the kickoff duties again this season.

PUNTERS
Matt Bosher returns as the ACC's second-team all-league punter.

Last season, he finished second in the league with a 42.5-yard average, with 44 of his 51 kicks either downed inside the opposing 20-yard line or resulting in fair catches. He also had a punt of 50 or more yards in nine of his 12 regular-season games.

NEWCOMERS
As a group, Miami's incoming freshmen weren't ranked as highly as usual because of the now-resolved uncertainty of Shannon's contract situation. But that doesn't mean there aren't some good players in the bunch. Or that many of those newcomers will be called upon to contribute right away because of depth issues, especially on offense.

Of those, Bunche and McDermott on the offensive line, running back Johnson, linebacker Cornelius, wide receiver Hurns and quarterback Morris have a head start because of their decisions to graduate high school early and enroll in college in January.

Several players without that advantage could also break into the lineup this season, especially at tight end where junior college transfer Ford and true freshmen Cleveland, Tallman and Walford will be given every opportunity to earn spots in the rotation.

Offensive lineman Brandon Linder (6-6, 290) also has a chance to play his way onto the depth chart at center depending on how quickly he picks up the offense.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS
When the Hurricanes survived their murder's row of an opening schedule by going 3-1 against Florida State, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma and Virginia Tech to start last season, everyone -- especially the national media -- jumped on the Hurricanes' bandwagon by proclaiming that their old "swagger" was back.

But while the fast start and the 9-4 finish represented a good start to the foundation Shannon and his staff are building, the fact is that Miami's 2009 season could have and probably should have been much better.

Though injuries clearly factored into the situation, especially quarterback Jacory Harris' thumb, the Hurricanes threw away chances at wins against Clemson and North Carolina by turning the ball over a combined eight times in the two games, with three of them coming back for touchdowns. Miami also squandered numerous opportunities in a loss to Wisconsin on New Year's Day.

The turnovers, mistakes and mental lapses will all have to be eliminated for the Hurricanes to improve on last season's success. They'll also have to hope that some of their injured stars return to health and form quickly while getting some immediate help from youngsters on the offensive line, at tight end and at running back.

Even with all those variables, Miami's program enters the 2010 season on much more stable footing than it did in 2009. And that's reason for optimism.

"We're expecting a big season," Shannon said. "But we have to be healthy. If we keep doing what we're going, we can have a special year.

"Last year, we weren't there mentally yet. We didn't have any veterans. Now you have guys that have been through the fire and should be able to step up. We're a different football team. I'm kind of excited to see what happens."

6 years ago '04        #7593
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
there arent any scholly's left for this year right? or can we use a scholly from one of the kids who wont qualify academically?
 6 years ago '06        #7594
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
 madness said:
there arent any scholly's left for this year right? or can we use a scholly from one of the kids who wont qualify academically?
6 arent gonna make it o we made the 85 and gonna take a shirt that dosent count against the 85 and plus there are gonna transfers when they see they aint eveen crackin the depth chart .... we too deeep .. they all gonna be canes for life whoever that one person is
 6 years ago '06        #7595
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
he coaching staff is also high on red-shirt freshman Lamar Miller (5-11, 205), a speed-burner running backs coach Mike Cassano said deserves the opportunity to contribute right now.

"He's a rocket ship," Cassano told the Miami Herald even before spring practice. "Defensive coordinators will hold their breath when he has the ball."
:wow: :wow: :wow:

Senior Josh Holmes (6-0, 280) started eight games at tackle in '09 and will again be in the mix at the position, though he'll have to f!ght to keep his spot against the challenge of junior Micanor Regis (6-3, 300) and sophomore Curtis Porter (6-1, 315) -- both of whom have been compared by Shannon to former Hurricane All-America Vince Wilfork.

Last edited by DEDOS; 07-04-2010 at 09:36 PM..
 07-05-2010, 09:35 AM         #7596
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
5-star WR wants to see UM

DaVaris Daniels is a five-star wide receiver prospect from Illinois and he has a lot of interest in Miami. Read on to see what he's saying about the Canes, the recruiting process, and more.

DeVaris Daniels is rated as a five-star player on Scout and he has over 20 offers to back it up. After scheduling a press conference a couple weeks ago to announce his college decision, Daniels decided to put that off. Now he's trying to figure things out.
"I was all set," Daniels said. "Now it's still open a little. The schools I'm looking at the hardest are Miami and Notre Dame. I don't have a preference between the two. I've been to Notre Dame and now I need to see Miami."

Daniels, 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, grew up following the Canes.

"When I was growing up they were always good," he said. "When you are a kid you always cheer for the winners and I never stopped cheering for Miami."

The standout receiver prospect has watched the Canes before and liked what he saw.

"I watched the Virginia Tech game and it was a situation I wanna be in," he said. "And Coach Randy Shannon is a great guy and that is something I would be interested in doing, going to Miami."

Daniels said he also received spring recruiting calls from Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgia (where his fathed played college football), and others. He seems to be choosing between two, though.

"I wanna go to Miami to check them out," he said. "I also wanna go back up to Notre Dame because it will most likely come down to those two schools."

What will be used to differentiate between the two programs?

"I wanna be around a coaching staff that is energetic and that can push me and have fun," he said. "I wanna be able to be coming in and competing for a spot. I might not be playing the first year, but I want to at least be able to compete for a spot."
 6 years ago '05        #7597
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
props for those articles
 6 years ago '06        #7598
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Seantrel on campus?
Thank goodness for Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Without him, we’d never get anything new on five-star OT Seantrel Henderson. Walters revealed last week that Henderson wanted out of his USC letter of intent and was leaning toward Miami, and now he reports that Henderson in fact was in Miami on Saturday. If true, this would be the strongest indication yet that Henderson does not plan to enroll at USC and that he wants to become a Hurricane, despite the best efforts of Lane Kiffin & Co.
As for getting out of that pesky national letter of intent (NLI), Walters says that “evidence exists” that Kiffin a.ssured Henderson that the school would not face any major sanctions, and that said evidence could be used as part of Henderson’s appeal to the NCAA to grant a waiver and allow him to play this fall even if USC does not release him.
The letter-of-intent program is actually not run by the NCAA; it is governed by the Collegiate Commissioners a.ssocation. As such, an appeal actually goes to the NLI Policy and Review Committee, and the NLI’s website says an appeal can take six to eight weeks. So if Henderson wants to be able to play this fall, he’d better hurry. (Though for all we know, perhaps he’s already mailed in his appeal.)

[pic - click to view]

6 years ago '05        #7599
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
 P. Dedos said:
6 arent gonna make it o we made the 85 and gonna take a shirt that dosent count against the 85 and plus there are gonna transfers when they see they aint eveen crackin the depth chart .... we too deeep .. they all gonna be canes for life whoever that one person is
its a wrap they aint gonna be in this class, they was sposed to report at the beginning of the week
 6 years ago '09        #7600
MOTM 70 heat pts70
space
space
Na, they can still report in August.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
30 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
52 comments
1 day ago