Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
221 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside #SPN: Zashia Santiago
42 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Orlando brown finally exposes what detective Vlad been doing for years.
164 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Video surfaces of weekend working on "crew love" with no drake lyrics
73 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #7361
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
Via Press Release

ESPN has selected six of its 2010 Big Ten Conference college football games for Saturday telecasts on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2, highlighted by three matchups between teams ranked in the College Football Live Top 25.Additional games will be announced in the coming months.

Defending Big Ten Conference champion No. 2 Ohio State -- coming off an 11-2 season, including a 26-17 victory over Oregon in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Citi -- will host No. 13 Miami of the ACC on Saturday, Sept. 11, at 3:40 p.m. ET on ESPN. It will mark the first meeting between the perennial powers since the Buckeyes defeated the Hurricanes 31-24 in the 2003 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl to win the 2002 BCS National Championship.
 7 years ago '06        #7362
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,683 | Props total: 12216 12216
wait they already released pre season rankings
 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM         #7363
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lineman Chris Jones has heart set on UM

Apr. 22, 2010

Jacksonville Raines High School lineman Chris Jones was a standout at the recent Nike Camp in Gainesville.

"I'm not mad, but I dominated the whole time and didn't get Defensive Line MVP," Jones said. "I'm not sure if it had to do with what Tavadis (Glenn) did last year [the Cane signee was kicked out of a different UF camp for throwing up the U]."

Jones said he was respectful of his Gator surroundings while there.

But he says the Canes are always in his heart.

"I'm a diehard Miami fan," said Jones, who lists offers from North Carolina, Illinois and East Carolina. "Miami is my No. 1 school. I just like the ACC period - the only team I really, really like outside of the ACC is Boise State.

"Miami's the school I really want to go to, but I'm not going to commit early. If Miami offers me a full ride, which I think they will, that's where I'm going."

Jones says he will be sending UM his new highlight tape soon.

"When they see it I'm pretty sure they'll offer," he said.

Jones plays both ways in high school but says he plans to play defensive tackle in college.

"I'm gaining weight quickly and I have the technique down," Jones said. "I was 260 pounds in March and we've hit that weight room hard - I took off my shoes today and stood on the scale, I'm 278. And I still run a legit 4.9."

Jones adds of UM that "I want to make it to the NFL, but if I don't make it another reason I want to go to Miami is Miami's top academically and I can get a good degree. That's what I'm really pushing for. And they produce a whole bunch of people that go to the NFL from Miami."

Jones says his understanding is that Cane coaches will be on the sidelines for his spring game May 27.
 7 years ago '04        #7364
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Cooper Expected to be Ready for 2010
Apr. 21, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Graig Cooper.
Head coach Randy Shannon announced Wednesday during the ACC teleconference that senior running back Graig Cooper is going to be ready for the 2010 season.

“It depends on the body,” Shannon said. “A doctor or rehab may say you’re supposed to be out six months. But it depends on how the body reacts. Has he been working out in the weight room? Yes. Has he been going to rehab? Yes. He’s not walking around with a brace. He’s not running right at this time or doing those things. But he’s normal, not on crutches and he’s looking like a regular person right now. I can’t really put a date or time, but from all prognoses, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be ready for the season.”

Cooper, who has led the team in rushing the last three seasons, tore his ACL against Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl on December 29. Prior to the injury, he was expected to leave early for the NFL Draft, but his injury de-railed those plans.

At the time of the injury, he was expected to miss the 2010 season, but is rehab has progressed in a positive manner, which will allow him to return.

Cooper rushed for 695 yards and four touchdowns last season averaging 5.2 yards a carry. He ran for a career-high 152 yards against Virginia.

For his career, the Memphis-native has rushed for 2,218 yards, which ranks fifth on UM's all-time list. He has scored 16 touchdowns in his career (12 rushing, 3 receiving, and 1 punt return).

He'll join a crowded backfield with senior Damien Berry, junior Lee Chambers, sophomore Mike James, redshirt freshman Lamar Miller, and freshman Storm Johnson.
 7 years ago '04        #7365
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Shannon: Spring Practices the Best We've Had
Apr. 21, 2010

Fourth-year head coach Randy Shannon was very happy and complimentary of his team's performance this past spring in an ACC teleconference on Wednesday.

"This year's spring practices were probably the best that we've had since I've been here at the University of Miami when I took over as the head coach," Shannon said. "We finally had numbers to actually practice and really get physical up front as far as the offensive line and defensive line and have spring practices were guys are really competitive. We felt we had competitive positions, guys really competed.

"There was a lot of improvement on the football team and overall mindset of making sure we understand the game the whole entire game instead of just relying on coming back like we did in some late-season games and when we had opportunities to win games late, we didn't finish it. That was our whole mindset of us working on finishing the game and competing the whole entire time we were at practice."

NEWS & NOTES

• RB Graig Cooper, the team's leading rusher in each of the past three seasons, is expected to play in 2010 after tearing his ACL in December. “It depends on the body,” Shannon said. “A doctor or rehab may say you’re supposed to be out six months. But it depends on how the body reacts. Has he been working out in the weight room? Yes. Has he been going to rehab? Yes. He’s not walking around with a brace. He’s not running right at this time or doing those things. But he’s normal, not on crutches and he’s looking like a regular person right now. I can’t really put a date or time, but from all prognoses, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be ready for the season.”

• QB Jacory Harris should begin throwing within the next two weeks after having off-season hand surgery, which kept him out of spring practices. Harris threw for 3,352 yards and 24 touchdowns with 17 interceptions last season. "He'll definitely be ready (for fall practices)," Shannon said.

• With Harris out for the spring, that gave plenty of reps to three other quarterbacks. "We saw improvement from A.J. Highsmith, Stephen Morris came in in January, which was a benefit for him and for us because he got a lot of work in this spring, and also Spencer Whipple, a young man that came up and had a great spring game so we feel kind of confident with what we have," Shannon said.

• Shannon felt three units: wide receivers, running backs, and defensive line had the most competition during spring practices, which he feels improved the overall depth of each unit.

• When asked what concerned he has about the team coming out of spring ball, Shannon replied: "I don't know if we have any concerns, but we had two tight ends this spring and we know just by attrition we brought in four tight ends, those guys have to contribute in some way, form, or fashion. We feel that position is somebody is going to have grow fast and really develop."

• While the coaches are comfortable with returning starting linebackers Colin McCarthy and Sean Spence, there is still a battle for the third spot, which was not determined as Jordan Futch and Ramon Buchanan were both held out during the spring due to injuries. Shannon again praised the performance of Kylan Robinson and noted that one or two freshmen linebackers could play this season.

• The offensive line is a unit that has a lot to prove as they look to replace three starters. The projected starters at this point are: LT Orlando Franklin, LG Brandon Washington, C Tyler Horn, RG Joel Figueroa, and RT Jermaine Johnson. Shannon said Horn was the team's most improved player on offense for the spring and was very pleased with the way Johnson performed this spring.

• Shannon praised the overall team speed: "This is probably the fastest team we've had and probably the biggest team we've had since I've been the head coach. We are excited about it. Any time you can get the ball to guys, who can really run good things can happen."
 04-24-2010, 09:09 AM         #7366
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
RB Cooper's Brother Making His Own Name
Apr. 24, 2010

By: Nate Adelson

Athlete Tino Thomas from Melrose High in Memphis, Tennessee, did it all as a junior starting on defense with 40 tackles, 10 interceptions, and 3 fumble recoveries.

Thomas added 800 rushing yards and 100 receiving yards along with 11 touchdowns on the offensive side of the ball to go with his 2 punt return touchdowns.

In addition to all of his abilities on the football field, Thomas (5-11, 181) is the younger brother of current Miami running back Graig Cooper.

“He just told me basically to stay humble and it will all come to you,” Thomas said. “Keep working hard and it will all pay off when you get to college. With recruiting, he just told me no pressure. He said just go to whatever school you like after you take some of your visits.”

Thomas went on to say that although it probably wouldn’t be a done deal, a Miami offer and the chance to follow his brother would mean a lot to him.

“That would mean a lot to me to get an offer from Miami,” Thomas said. “Obviously I like Miami as well and I would like that a lot. I really don’t have a favorite right now but I would just really like to have that Miami offer.”

Thomas said he hasn’t heard from Miami yet but there are more than a couple things that appeal to him about the Canes.

“No sir, Miami did not show any interest in me so far,” Thomas said. “Actually I really like their tradition, how they win, their swagger, I just like it all.”

Thomas currently holds four offers but his list of interested schools suggests that more offers could be on the way.

“Arkansas, Kentucky, Duke, and Memphis have offered me,” Thomas said. “A lot of schools have been showing interest like LSU, Oregon, Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, Stanford, Michigan, and plenty more. Basically I’ve heard from everybody that I’m interested in.”

Thomas has only visited two schools at this point but he said that he’s more focused on the camp circuit so he can build more notoriety for himself.

“I’ve visited two schools so far, Ole Miss and Memphis,” Thomas said. “I don’t really have anymore visits on my mind because I’m focused on camps right now. I’m going to these camps but I haven’t really thought about what schools I want to see this summer.”

Thomas is being recruited both as a running back and a defensive back so he discussed his game on both sides of the ball.

“At running back, my style of play is kind of finesse but if I hit that hole, I’m gone,” Thomas laughed. “On defense, I can take the pick or I can get the hit so I’m very versatile. As long as I’m out there on the field, I just do it.”
 04-24-2010, 09:10 AM         #7367
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LSU Commit Looking At UM, Other Options
Apr. 24, 2010

Wide receiver Jarvis Landry from Lutcher High is one of the top players in what is considered one of the strongest classes ever in the state of Louisiana.

Landry (5-11, 181) also joins eight other prospects from the Pelican State who have already decided to commit to the in-state LSU Tigers.

“My commitment is good right now but I’m still open to a few other offers,” Landry said. “I’m with LSU right now but if a better offer comes along, then I would have to make a decision on that. I really never got an opinion from the coaches at LSU about other schools because I wasn’t going anywhere. Now I’m trying to get more scholarships and widen my base a little more.”

Landry originally committed to LSU in January, mostly in part because of how familiar he is with what their program has to offer.

“It was basically the tradition they had and they are so close to home for me,” Landry said. “I’ve talked to my mom these past few weeks about distance and how they (my family) would support me. I committed for my family and myself too, not to say anything bad about LSU. My mom supports me fully no matter where I go so that opens me up with the distance from home.”

Other schools apparently haven’t been able to resist Landry’s 80 catches for 1507 yards and 17 touchdowns with all the schools that are chasing after him.

“Oklahoma, Florida State, Miami, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Michigan, and Notre Dame are who I can think of off hand,” Landry said. “I kind of did, I thought it (recruiting) would stop. After discussing things with my brother who was a collegiate athlete and played a little in the NFL, he told me I got a bullseye on my back when I committed. That’s when the recruiting process really picked up for me.”

Landry said he has been in touch with Miami for a long time but he is still waiting on an official Cane scholarship offer.

“They was always talking to me, even before I committed, and I was always interested in Miami,” Landry said. “They’ve kept on talking to me, I just haven’t got the scholarship yet that I’ve been looking for. I love their program and what they’ve done with their offense. Besides LSU, they’re kind of like my childhood favorite. They bring so much to the table to offer a young kid especially in the state of Florida, but for out of state kids too. To get an offer from them would mean a lot and it would be hard but at the end of the day, it would be a decision that I have to make.”

Landry said he watched Miami “all the time” this past season and he was impressed by the Canes in all phases of football.

“All the talent that Florida produces, that’s what I noticed and the competiveness that they brought to the game,” Landry said. “Even the younger guys as true freshman and sophomores playing early, they brought a lot to the ACC. They were so explosive offensively, defensively, and on special teams. I mean look at their bowl game where they housed the opening kickoff of the game. That got called back and (Graig) Cooper scored on the next play so that showed explosiveness right there.”
 7 years ago '04        #7368
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Top 5 Fastest Hurricanes
Apr. 26, 2010

Travis Benjamin
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Head coach Randy Shannon recently stated that he feels this is his fastest team since taking over as head coach in 2007.

"This is probably the fastest team we've had and probably the biggest team we've had since I've been the head coach," Shannon said last week in a teleconference. "We are excited about it. Any time you can get the ball to guys, who can really run good things can happen."

And as the old saying goes, ‘speed k!lls’.

So let’s take a look at UM’s top five fastest players while taking into consideration the player’s 40-yard dash time, their performance on the track team, and overall game speed.

1. Travis Benjamin, WR, Junior, 5-10, 175

Speed Stat: Ran a 10.40 in the 100-meter dash at the 2010 ACC Outdoor Championships.

Comments: Benjamin takes the honor as the team’s fastest player as he routinely shows his top speed on the track and on the field. He glides when he’s on the field and has had three plays (2 receiving and one kick return) of over 50 yards in his first two years at UM. He’s looking to utilize that speed even more this season and add to his career touchdown total of eight. Look for Benjamin to maintain the top honor for the rest of UM career as the team’s fastest player.

2. Lamar Miller, RB, Freshman, 5-11, 205

Speed Stat: Ran a 6.83 in the 60-yard dash during indoor track this season.

Comments: Miller constantly proved he was a big-play, speed guy during spring practices. He takes great pride in not to get caught from behind by anyone, which will be fun to watch in 2010 after playing on the scout team last season. Miller is expected to be a homerun threat and provide plenty of sparks in the offense. Also, Miller was a dynamic kick returner in high school, an area he could excel at in college as well.

3. Brandon McGee, CB, Sophomore, 6-0, 190

Speed Stat: Ran a team-best 4.19 in the 40-yard dash during 2009 spring testing.

Comments: McGee gets the nod as the third-fastest player because of his short speed acceleration, while there are other players on the team that do run faster in longer sprints. McGee is hoping his speed translates this season as a sophomore as he looks to gain confidence. As a freshman, he played in 10 games totaling two tackles. He’ll look to earn a key role in the secondary this season as the team’s fastest defensive back.

4. DeMarcus Van Dyke, CB, Senior, 6-1, 185

Speed Stat: Ran a 10.61 in the 100-yard dash during outdoor track this spring.

Comments: Van Dyke has been praised for his speed since he stepped foot on campus in 2007. With his size and speed combination, Van Dyke has the ability to put together a solid senior season. When he plays with confidence, he’s tough to beat. The coaching staff will look to bring the best out of this local speedster from Monsignor Pace.

5. Tommy Streeter, WR, Sophomore, 6-5, 209

Speed Stat: Ran a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash during 2009 spring testing, good for fourth-best on the team.

Comments: Streeter rounds out the top five in somewhat surprising fashion considering his 6-foot-5, 209-pound frame, something you don’t typically see in speedsters. However, Streeter has a long stride and can run by nearly everyone he faces. He only has five catches to his credit in his UM career, but two went for long gains of 29 and 47 yards. Look for Streeter to continue to stretch the field as he progresses in his career.
 7 years ago '04        #7369
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
TE Ford Expects Early Playing Time
Apr. 27, 2010

Chase Ford
Tight end and Cane signee Chase Ford from Kilgore Junior College in Kilgore, Texas, figures to step in immediately and earn playing time with the roster currently thin at the tight end position.

Ford made the trip to South Florida to take in the conclusion of Miami’s spring practices which were highlighted by the spring game at Traz Powell Stadium.

“I arrived at some time on Friday and I went back home on Sunday,” Ford said. “I just wanted to come down and talk to the coaches. I wanted to see them play to get an idea of what they’re going to look like next year.”

Ford was pleased with what he saw out of the team and he got a chance to meet the current tight ends, fifth year senior Richard Gordon and redshirt freshman Billy Sanders.

“After watching the spring game, I think we’re going to be pretty good next year,” Ford said. “The tight ends were pretty good, they did some things and made a couple big plays here and there. I met both of them and they seem like pretty cool guys to me.”

Ford (6-6, 245) definitely got a first hand look at the opportunity for immediate playing time but that was something he knew about a long time ago.

“I talked to all the coaches but I really just hung out with Coach Pannunzio because he’s my position coach and Coach McGriff because he recruited me,” Ford said. “They told me that they expect me to come in and play but I need to work hard to get to that point. Actually playing right away was in my mind back when I committed. I wanted to go somewhere that I would get to play and not redshirt or anything like that. I’ve already known before I saw the spring game that I wouldn’t have to sit on the bench.”

Ford also got the chance to hang out with a bunch of Miami’s other 2010 signees although he admits he is better with faces than he is with names.

“You know I met a bunch of them but I really can’t remember now who it was,” Ford said. “I don’t know any of them real well but I know their faces, I just can’t put their names with it. I thought they was pretty cool though and those are my future teammates right there.”

Ford isn’t exactly sure when he will be arriving to start his summer classes at Miami but he has one simple thing on his mind before then.

“I’m not sure yet when I’m going to Miami, it all depends on when I graduate,” Ford said. “It’s either going to be the start of June or the end of June, one or the other. All I got to do now is graduated and then I’m looking forward to playing and winning.”
 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM         #7370
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
QB Williams loves The U.
Apr. 26, 2010

Quarterback Marquise Williams from Mallard Creek High in Charlotte, North Carolina, already has enough offers that he is more concerned with improving his football skills.

“Just to keep working hard, be a leader, and make sure my work ethic stays right,” Williams said. “I want to compete hard in practice and that will pay off going into the offseason and when game time comes. I’m not really worried about recruiting while we got spring football going on.”

Williams (6-3, 215) is still open to a lot of schools all over the east coast but he does have three schools that are a little more special to him at the moment.

“I’m still considering everybody and I still like a lot of people,” Williams said. “Like I said, there is no outstanding school that sticks out. I mean I still like Virginia Tech, (North) Carolina, and LSU, but I like some more schools too.”

Williams is still planning on making his commitment in August or September around the start of the season but he hasn’t checked out any schools recently. He hopes to get to more schools over the summer but it depends on his father’s busy schedule.

Virginia Tech is pretty close to home for Williams but that doesn’t actually have much to do with why he is high on the Hokies.

“I was there for when the Hokies played against Miami and it’s a good school,” Williams said. “They treated me very well and I feel very similar to being at home. It was a nice game and the coaches treated me with respect. They told me how much they wanted me to come play and help them win ACC or even national championships. I feel really good about them and I like Virginia Tech a lot. They’re not too far away but I don’t really care. I’m not a kid who wants to stay close to home so that doesn’t really matter.”

Receiving mail remains the extent of the contact that Williams has had with Miami but that doesn’t seem to have done much damage to his level of interest in being a Cane.

“It’s still the Canes and I’m always going to have love for the Canes,” Williams said. “I have cousins that went there, not to play football but just for the university. Most of my family is in Miami but if I don’t get a scholarship from them, I won’t cry about it. I’m still going to like the Canes regardless.”

Williams gave his own sales pitch about why Miami should send him a scholarship offer as soon as possible.

“I would tell them that I’m a hard working player, a leader, and I’m going to go out and f!ght,” Williams said. “I like to win, I don’t like to lose, so I bring that competitiveness to the game. I battle every day in practice for position and I love football man. This is what I’ve been doing since I was younger and it compels me. I’m a humble child and I don’t let things get above my head. I figure that it would be a good choice just to have me on the team there or anywhere else I play.”
 04-28-2010, 02:20 PM         #7371
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Atkinson (6-2, 195) has a personal best of 10.59 seconds in the 100 meter dash and this spring has certainly been good to him as he approaches the twenty offer mark.

“As of right now, I’m just looking at everybody and things are pretty even so I’m just going to wait it out,” Atkinson said. “Alabama offered me today, then I got Miami, Oregon, USC, Nebraska, California, Arizona, Arizona State, and Notre Dame. All of my offers are pretty big though, at least that’s what I think.”

Atkinson could project at running back, wide receiver, or safety. He played primarily running back as a junior, carrying 106 times for 965 yards and 10 touchdowns with 13 catches for 260 yards and 1 touchdown.

Atkinson has already visited a few schools on the west coast but he likely won’t see schools in other areas until he has a chance to take official visits.

“I’m definitely going to find out as much as I can about the schools that are interested in me,” Atkinson said. “I want to take as many visits as I can to make this decision easier. The last school I visited was UCLA so I’m going over to USC next to see what they got. I’ll talk to my dad about going to schools like Notre Dame and Miami but most likely they will have to be official (visits) just because of the cost.”

Atkinson’s father, George Atkinson II, played for the Oakland Raiders from 1968-1977 where he won a Super Bowl and finished with 30 career interceptions.

“My dad definitely doesn’t want me to shut off any schools and he wants me to make sure I pick the right school for me, not anyone else,” Atkinson said. “He always tells me to look at the program, both the offense and the defense, whatever position I’m going to come in as. He wants the school to fit me as a person with academics, the coaching staff, and the surroundings that I’ll be in for the next four years.”

Miami is one of Atkinson’s newest offers and although the offer was very unexpected, it was certainly something he was hoping would come.

“Yea Miami offered me this week, like two days ago I think,” Atkinson said. “My coach talked to them over the phone and they faxed the offer over to my school so that’s how I saw it. I haven’t talked to them yet but I plan on calling them this week or next week. They sent me, if I remember right, like three letters at the most. The first one said that they recognize me as a recruit and for me not to worry about them not sending as many letters as the other schools. Out of nowhere, they offered me so I got excited about that.”

Atkinson talked about all of the different things that he knows about Miami and what he likes most about the Canes.

“I know they’re pretty young as a team and they’re definitely on the rise,” Atkinson said. “They have a great history with guys in the pros and the national championship they won a little while back. I saw their game, I think it was against Florida State, and the offense was pretty good. They got a young quarterback (Jacory Harris) that looked pretty good.”
 7 years ago '04        #7372
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
if we got marquise williams it would be sick
 7 years ago '06        #7373
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,683 | Props total: 12216 12216
i know where low on scholls and shyt and we have to pick and chooose who we give em out too

but there is no excuse why you dont take this kid
 7 years ago '04        #7374
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 596 596
Anyone have his highlights or stats from last season. Talking about the QB
 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM         #7375
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hurricanes reportedly to take only one RB in 2011 Class

Apr 29, 2010

Abilene (TX) High School RB Herschel Sims spoke recently with Hurricane coaches.

"They said they liked my tape and to get to their summer camp so they can see me in person and increase my chance of getting an offer," Sims said. "I'm going to try to go to the camp - that's the only place I'd go to a camp that's so far, because I'm so interested in the school. They said to keep working hard, and they told me they're only taking one running back (in this class)."

Sims says he grew up a big Hurricane fan.

"It's the first college team I ever watched," he said. "Since Willis McGahee played I always wanted to go to Miami. Willis' wife was from Abilene - her dad went to my church.

"If Miami offers, that's going to be my No. 1 school."

So far Sims lists 13 offers, including the likes of Texas A&M, USC, Oklahoma State and Notre Dame.

Among schools that have offered, Sims lists USC, Oklahoma State and TCU as his frontrunners.

"I want to wait as long as possible to decide, but at the same time I don't want someone to fill up all their spots," Sims said. "Like Oklahoma filled their spots - they called last week to say they didn't have a scholarship for me anymore.

"if Miami hasn't offered by the time the football season starts, then they're not going to offer so I'll start looking elsewhere."

As a junior Sims ran for 2,300 yards and 40 touchdowns. He also had 30 receptions for over 400 yards.

"I get compared to Emmitt Smith in my playing style, but I like to think of myself as Adrian Peterson without the fumbles," Sims said.
 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM         #7376
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Glades Central coach Jessie Hester sees three good fits for WR Kelvin Benjamin
by Jason Lieser
Any college football program in the nation could find use for Glades Central WR Kelvin Benjamin, but his head coach said he needs to be careful about going to a school that thrives on a spread offense.

Although Benjamin said he has not started narrowing his list of possible destinations, Raiders coach Jessie Hester believes Alabama, Miami and Florida State are three of his best options.

“There’s some really good programs outside the state that suit his style, particularly Alabama and the pro set those guys run,” Hester said. “I like the University of Miami offense and Florida State as well. They have a real pro-type offense that will suit him really well.”

Benjamin (6-5, 215, No. 3 on The Big Board ) has offers from the big three in-state schools and powerhouses around the country. Hester said several college football coaches have referred to him as “a program-changer.”

Because he is so highly coveted, it seems unlikely Benjamin will be pressured into an early commitment.

“There’s no rush or need for that,” Hester said. “The pressure the coaches may try to put on him is a smoke screen. If you tell that guy you want to come there a year later, that coach is going to welcome you with open arms.

“He has that type of talent. He’s in the driver’s seat. Most kids don’t have that card to play, but he most definitely does and he should take advantage of that.”

For his part, Benjamin seems to be patient about the process. He said he does not have a top-10 list and will probably wait until the summer to figure out his finalists.

He said he is considering Florida, Florida State and Miami and they are all equal at this point. He also plans to make an official visit to Southern Cal.

Navigating the recruiting process could be an overwhelming chore for Benjamin, who has only traveled outside Florida once and did not start playing organized football until his sophomore year at Glades Central.

In 2009, playing alongside Division I signees Greg Dent and Demetrius Evans, Benjamin caught 24 passes for 606 yards and four touchdowns. He was second-team all-area.
 04-30-2010, 05:39 AM         #7377
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Age limit to shorten WR Kelvin Benjamin’s senior season at Glades Central
by Jason Lieser
Glades Central will not have star wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin for its final two regular season games, including the Muck Bowl, and the entirety of the playoffs.

The Florida High School Athletic a.ssociation does not allow students to participate in athletics once they hit the age of 19 years, 9 months. Benjamin will reach that limit in November, after the Raiders’ eighth regular season game.

“At that time of the year, to tell him, ‘You can’t play anymore,’ will be a serious blow,” Raiders coach Jessie Hester said. “That’s a serious emotional deal to see your fellow teammates continue on and you can’t help them.

“To not have his services during the most important time of the season is going to be crucial. That’s one position that we’ll be ok because of the talent that we have, but still, you can’t replace a kid like that.”

Glades Central coaches might have done the math any time over the past two years and figured this out, but Benjamin said he was unaware his age would be a problem until three weeks ago.

Benjamin (6-5, 215, No. 3 on The Big Board ) has offers from many major college football programs , including Florida, Miami, Florida State and Southern California. This is not expected to diminish his recruiting status.

He can appeal for an exemption to the policy, but Glades Central athletic director Henry Cook said it would be unlikely to succeed. Benjamin also has the option to transfer to a preparatory school for his senior year, which could allow him to play a full season.

“Kelvin and his parents need to sit down and discuss his options,” Cook said. “I have supplied them with other options and he needs to discuss that. We can’t make that decision for him. That’s a decision between his coach, him and his parents.

“It’s not the end of the world. There are several paths to get to where he wants to go.”

Hester said he believes Benjamin’s best option is to remain at Glades Central, but would understand if he opted for prep school.

Benjamin said he is considering all of his choices, but has not made a decision yet. He has not ruled out the possibility of leaving Glades Central at the end of the current school year.

“That’s life,” he said. “I’m still going to go to college and that’s my goal.”

Benjamin said he repeated third and seventh grade and also had a legal issue that kept him out of school. He declined to elaborate on that situation other than saying he “got in some trouble.”

Benjamin caught 24 passes for 606 yards and four touchdowns in 2009.

FHSAA bylaw 9.6.1 states that students are eligible for until the age of 19 years, 9 months. The day a student reaches that age, he or she is permanently ineligible. If the state playoffs begin prior to an athlete reaching that age, he or she is eligible for the remainder of the post-season.

In football, the FHSAA considers the date of the Monday tie-breaker events (following the ninth game of the season) as the official starting point of the playoffs, said a.ssociate Executive Director for Compliance and Eligibility Denarvise Thornton.

Thornton also said every state has an age limit in order to maintain a “level playing field.”
 7 years ago '06        #7378
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
$3,922 | Props total: 1109 1109
Yall Bums better handle Ohio State! Cuz I know we gon rock Oklahoma cuz thats how we do in Tally. Ya dig
 04-30-2010, 10:04 PM         #7379
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Gretzky Brings a New Sport to the Family
Apr. 30, 2010

Trevor Gretzky

Quarterback Trevor Gretzky from Oaks Christian in Westlake Village, California, has a last name that anyone who knows anything about sports would recognize.

Trevor is the son of hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, and only started playing football three years ago after growing up a hockey player himself.

“I played hockey all growing up but I stopped that around middle school,” Gretzky said. “We lived in New York and I played a lot up there but when we moved out to California, it was all football and baseball. There is a universal business between sports and just living with my dad, he’s been giving me tips everyday. Even though he doesn’t play football, we don’t chalk talk, and he doesn’t know much about the actual game, he helps me a lot with game management.”

Gretzky (6-3, 180) has been the backup quarterback the last two years behind Washington signee and Under Armour All-American Nick Montana.

“It’s been a good experience backing up Nick and I still got to play like as much as him,” Gretzky said. “I would play every second half because we would usually blow teams out in the first half. Getting mental reps behind a guy like that and just learning the system I think will prepare me a lot for this year.”

Gretzky completed 23 out of 41 passes for 288 yards and 4 touchdowns with 1 interception to go with 13 carries for 44 yards.

“I’m pretty much a pro-style guy I think and I get the ball to the athletes so they can make plays,” Gretzky said. “We got a lot of talent here and all I have to do is be smart so I don’t turn the ball over. It’s been hard going back and forth with baseball and football so it takes a couple weeks to get back in the rhythm of things with my throwing motion.”

Oaks Christian has recently been one of the top California schools in producing recruits and Gretzky said it all starts with the coaching staff.

“It all starts with the coaching staff,” Gretzky said. “I got there freshman year and all the seniors were a big help so the senior leadership is great too for the young guys. Our coaches prepare us really well to mature into the role of being leaders as we get older.”

Gretzky is still looking for his first scholarship offer but he hopes it’s not too far off since a bunch of Pac-10 schools have been stopping by this spring to check in on him.

“A lot of schools are coming by Coach Redell’s office and I’ve been talking to them the past couple weeks,” Gretzky said. “Hopefully things will really get rolling this spring and over the summer. Arizona State is one that I like a lot, UCLA, California was here, most of the Pac-10 schools. I heard a lot from Miami during the season but I’m just going to work hard and hope that they’re still interested. I want to prove to them that I can play there so that’s one of my goals.”

Gretzky is obviously high on the Canes and he saw plenty of them in action throughout the 2009 season.

“I like the tradition they have and I grew up watching Miami so I love them,” Gretzky said. “The style of offense they run is awesome and all the coaches there seem like really cool guys. I watched a lot of their games last year and I think their quarterback, Jacory Harris, is pretty cool. He seems like a good guy and I like the way he plays.”
 05-01-2010, 09:55 PM         #7380
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"The top executive for the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Game at the Georgia Dome said he would like to match Miami with Alabama (or if that doesn't happen, Auburn, Georgia or South Carolina) in 2012, with each participant getting $2.25 million. 'It's something we would be interested in,' UM athletic director Kirby Hocutt said." ~ Barry Jackson, Miami Herald
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
221 comments
22 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
108 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Adult Entertainer That Sold Out Her Race
91 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
134 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
154 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside YouTube superstar PewDiePie vows to DELETE his channel once he hits 50m..
50 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
76 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy