Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #7261
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
playnogames
 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM         #7262
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
props
 7 years ago '05        #7263
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
gotdammit cant wait for the season to start
 7 years ago '04        #7264
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Spring Practice Report #12
Mar. 23, 2010

By: David Lake

Vaughn Telemaque
Coral GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes completed their 12th practice of the spring Tuesday afternoon.

The team practiced in shells and shorts in their first practice back off of spring break last week.

Miami will hold 15 practices this spring including the annual spring game this Saturday, March 27th at Traz Powell Stadium.

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of practice including who had a good day today for the Hurricanes.

Click here to view photos.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“Coming off spring break, it was a good day today. Guys flew around and there was a lot of excitement and we got a lot of things done in shorts. We had a little two minute drill at the end of practice just to get guys moving around and competing to just try and improve off of things from last year. After three weeks we had a lot of improvement and after watching the film I have seen guys improve from the first scrimmage to now. Also I have seen the development.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Redshirt sophomore Vaughn Telemaque has taken a big jump in his development this spring, Shannon says. “I am excited about the way that Vaughn Telemaque has been playing,” Shannon said. “He has been a guy that has taken the next step with being a defensive back and making plays.” Telemaque had an impressive showing in Miami’s open scrimmage on March 11th, picking off two passes.

• S Ray Ray Armstrong and CB DeMarcus Van Dyke each lead the team in interceptions this spring with five and Vaughn Telemaque has four interceptions. Telemaque has the goal of leading the nation in interceptions.

• The most improved player this spring to this point is LB Kylan Robinson, Shannon said. “He is doing some great things for us at middle linebacker. He is playing the game and having fun and he is a totally different guy. It happens when the light comes on and you never know when [that will happen]. We are excited about his progression.”

• Redshirt freshman S Jamal Reid started the second scrimmage at safety over Ray Ray Armstrong, and Shannon says he has dong a good job this spring. “Jamal right now is giving a little more oomph in it and making plays and doing all the good things. [Reid and Armstrong] are neck and neck right now and whoever has the best practice that day, that is the guy you go with. Ray Ray did a lot better in the second scrimmage than in the first scrimmage. Jamal is still learning and doing some good things. Both of them are neck and neck and when you have competition like that, it can‘t do anything but make you better.”

• The young offensive line group is developing nicely, Shannon said. “The way that the offensive line keeps playing hard and keeps working all the time. We have one guy on the line [right now] who played all the time last year which is Harland Gunn. Everybody else is knew. They struggle when they go up against the first team defense because they have some veteran guys who have the upper hand on them, but when our second team defense comes in, our offensive line has a little bit of confidence.”

• WR Thearon Collier had a touchdown during two-minute drills.

• Shannon said he would like to see better play out of his second team linebacker unit. The second team unit is made up of SLB C.J. Holton, MLB Shayon Green, WLB Tyrone Cornelius “I am disappointed because our second team unit at linebacker is not responding right now,” Shannon said. “We have to get those guys up to par. They are not picking the things up we want them to get done, but we are going to keep coaching him.”

• DTs Micanor Regis and Curtis Porter both continue to impress Shannon this spring. “Those are guys that the last two scrimmages have done a great job inside of getting a lot of tackles for loss with penetrating,” Shannon said. “They are two guys who are really hard to move.”

• Shannon praised the play of sophomore WR Kendal Thompkins after reviewing the scrimmage. “Kendal Thompkins did some good things,” Shannon said. “We picked it up a little bit and did some good things, now lets see if he can manage it and keep doing those things in practice to get himself better.”

• Early enrollee freshman quarterback Stephen Morris has impressed coaches and teammates with his arm strength. Morris claims as a junior in high school he threw the ball 75 yards in the air and he feels like now his arm is stronger. “You see him throw some passes and it shows his arm strength and his decision making,” Shannon said.

• C Tyler Horn “is doing good and making all the calls” this spring, Shannon said. “The more reps he gets, the better he will get. We give him a lot of looks on defense and he adjusting to it and picking it up.”

• OLs Orlando Franklin and Brandon Washington dressed out today and practiced lightly, participating mostly in individual drills.
 7 years ago '06        #7265
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
f**k outta hea shannon with kylan robinson

give kendal thompkins and streeter more burn in games
 7 years ago '04        #7266
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DB Louis-Jean Commits
Mar. 24, 2010

Brockton (Mass.) 2011 defensive back Albert Louis-Jean committed to the University of Miami today.

Louis-Jean is currently on an unofficial visit at the University of Miami until Saturday's spring game.

"Yes, I committed to Miami today," Louis-Jean said.

Louis-Jean picked Miami over Penn State, Connecticut, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Maryland, and Boston College.

He becomes the second 2011 commitment joining Vero Beach OL Marcus Jackson.
 7 years ago '04        #7267
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Telemaque Making Big Plays, Setting High Goals
Mar. 24, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Vaughn Telemaque.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Vaughn Telemaque enjoyed his spring break in New Orleans with teammate LaRon Byrd.

It was his first time in the Big Easy.

“I checked out the scene out there, it was a good sight,” said Telemaque, who hails from Long Beach, Calif. “That boy is the man out there, everybody loves Byrd out there.”

Telemaque, Byrd, and the rest of the Hurricanes returned to the practice field on Tuesday after 11 days off.

Prior to the break, Telemaque starred in an open scrimmage intercepting two passes on the night at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.

“It was a cool scrimmage,” Telemaque said. “We got a lot done on both sides of the ball. Overall I think we got a lot accomplished.”

Telemaque, a sophomore, has been having a very good spring as he’s been very active against the pass recording four interceptions—only one off the team high of five accomplished by DeMarcus Van Dyke and Ray Ray Armstrong.

“I am excited about the way that Vaughn Telemaque has been playing,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He has been a guy that has taken the next step with being a defensive back and making plays.”

He’s been playing some at cornerback to get a better field against the pass, which has helped him.

“I’m understanding more of the route combinations and understanding more of what one receiver is going to do and what another receiver is going to do, anticipate a lot more, and just trying to get smarter with the game by knowing other positions,” Telemaque said.

Although Telemaque has not recorded a pick in 15 games at UM, he’s not afraid to let everyone know that he has high goals in 2010.

“I want to lead the nation in interceptions and we as a team want to lead the nation in turnovers. That’s the goal,” he said.

Telemaque is also eyeing the UM school record of 10 interceptions in a season set by Bennie Blades (1986) and Sean Taylor (2003).

He’s confident in his play and feeling very comfortable after posting 48 tackles and four pass breakups last season while making 11 starts.

“I’m starting to feel really comfortable,” Telemaque said. “Jumping right into it my redshirt year, I was a little antsy, didn’t know exactly, but now I feel more comfortable and I know a lot more, but I’m still learning at the same time. I feel I am coming around and playing up to what I want to play at—I still have a lot more that I want to come out and do and work towards that.”

It’s not a surprise to see Telemaque start to make plays on the ball as a roaming free safety. As a senior at Long Beach Poly, Telemaque grabbed nine interceptions—a season after he had two as a junior.

“I want that to be a part of my game like I have been telling everybody,” Telemaque said. “I want to make big plays. I want to make interceptions and turnovers. I feel like the defense is letting me roam around the feel more, letting me get into different disguises, and get a feel for the whole field and not just be on one side.”

Without question, Telemaque is playing with a lot of confidence.

“I feel a lot more confident,” Telemaque said. “When you got confidence, a lot more things start to work out.”

It appears it will only be a matter of time until Telemaque records his first interception at UM.

But he won’t settle for just one.
 7 years ago '04        #7268
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
QB Morris Shows Off Arm Strength
Mar. 24, 2010

Stephen Morris
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- With each rep this spring, early enrollee freshman Stephen Morris is getting better.

Morris enrolled a semester early for his freshman season so he could be prepared going into the 2010 season and compete for the backup quarterback job.

This spring Morris has split the reps equally at quarterback with A.J. Highsmith and Spencer Whipple and with each snap he has gotten more comfortable.

“Coach Whipple just wants me to get more comfortable in the pocket and understand what the routes are going to do and when the blitz comes,” Morris said. “He told me once I understand that, everything else will come naturally.”

“The more you do it, the more comfortable you will feel with it.”

During Miami’s open scrimmage on March 11th, Morris did not complete a pass, going 0-for-3. Morris says he is still adjusting to the speed of the college game, but he has made big strides in that area as well since spring practice began.

“I feel as if I understand the game speed,” Morris said. “I have adjusted to it a lot better than I thought I would. It is just an experience factor. The more you get a chance to play, the better off you will be.”

“The first scrimmage went pretty well. I am just glad I got the opportunity to learn the playbook and understand what coach Whipple wants to do. It was exciting, but at the same time I feel like I wish I would have performed better. I feel like in time though it will come naturally to me.”

Morris has impressed teammates and coaches with his arm strength this spring.

“You see him throw some passes and it shows his arm strength and his decision making,” Shannon said after Tuesday’s practice.

“He can make all the throws,” quarterback A.J. Highsmith said. “He throws the deep ball real well. He has a lot of arm strength on him.”

Morris claims to have thrown the ball 75 yards in the air as a junior in high school and now he feels like he could throw it about 80 yards.

“I have always had a strong arm, Morris said. “I feel like that is one of my upsides as a quarterback.”

Morris says no decision has been made about who will be named the backup to Jacory Harris next season. Right now he is focused on competing for the job the best he can.

“You always have on your mind it is a competition and that just makes you better,” Morris said. “A.J. is doing better and Spencer is doing absolutely amazing and that just puts pressure on me to do my best. That is what competition is all about, to get you better.”

“I have no idea where I stand. It is not really up to me, I just have to go out and play my hardest and earn the spot. I just have the mindset of getting better day by day. A.J. Highsmith and Spencer Whipple have been helping me a lot.”

As a senior at Monsignor Pace High School in Miami, Morris threw for 1,531 yards with 22 touchdowns and six interceptions.
 7 years ago '04        #7269
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
QB Highsmith Getting More Comfortable
Mar. 24, 2010

A.J. Highsmith
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- This spring has been a big confidence boost for sophomore quarterback A.J. Highsmith.

With starting quarterback Jacory Harris, Highsmith has split the reps this spring with Spencer Whipple and Stephen Morris.

As the quarterbacks compete for the backup quarterback job this spring, Highsmith says the extra reps and competition has made him better.

“I think I got a lot better,” Highsmith said. “I have been working hard and my hard work has paid off. I feel lot more comfortable making plays and I am having a lot of fun. I am just staying prepared and working on the little things and the fundamentals so I can stay sharp in the offseason.”

Highsmith entered the spring as the favorite for the backup quarterback job and with a week left with spring football, he says there has been no indication as to who will be named the backup quarterback.

“We are just going to wait and see and play it out,” Highsmith said. “We don’t really worry about that too much.”

Even though he isn’t able to practice this spring, Jacory Harris has still been able to give Highsmith some pointers on how he can be a better quarterback in the pocket.

“One time he just showed me how to slide with the protection and get more time to throw the ball, especially against the blitz and to throw the ball up and where to put it,” Highsmith said.

After watching film of the scrimmage held on March 11th, Highsmith says he was encouraged by the overall play of the team.

“I was excited about the scrimmage, especially with the defensive line and how they got pressure,” Highsmith said. “I had a few turnovers, even though it is not one guy who makes the turnover I am hard on myself. I think we made a lot of plays and had a lot of ups and downs.”

Highsmith went 7-of-11 for 94 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions. He also ran for a touchdown. Highsmith talked about his interceptions.

“I forced one down field and I threw one too late so that was my fault,” Highsmith said. “I am not the one to point fingers though and I will take them all on my back because I am the quarterback and I am the one throwing them.”

The running backs had a strong performance with Lamar Miller running for 63 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries and Storm Johnson ran for 104 yards and 10 carries and one touchdown. Highsmith likes having that support in the backfield.

“It is good to see them with the home run threat and running the ball downfield well,” Highsmith said.
 7 years ago '04        #7270
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Storm: "I don't want to ride the bench"
Mar. 23, 2010

Storm Johnson.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Freshman running back Storm Johnson is Miami's top rated recruit in the 2010 class.

Johnson, who hails from Loganville, Ga., is one of six early enrollees, who are participating in spring practices.

He's in a tough battle for playing time at tailback, but has put together a very good spring--the best amongst the early enrollees according to head coach Randy Shannon.

Johnson made a statement in the team's second scrimmage on March 11, which was open to the public. He rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries.

"I felt pretty good, knowing the plays and knowing the playbook, and the offensive line did block, which did spring me a lot," Johnson said. "We did good as a team and as an offensive unit."

He reeled off two big runs of 52 and 29 yards.

"I just showed my talent," Johnson said. "The offensive line blocked well and it's off to the races when I get into the secondary."

Johnson wants to keep his name in the mix at running back, which also includes seniors Damien Berry and Graig Cooper, junior Lee Chambers, sophomore Mike James, and redshirt freshman Lamar Miller.

His goal is to contribute this season as a freshman.

"That's the goal," he said. "I don't want to ride the bench so I work hard every day and make that known."

Johnson believes the best players will play regardless of experience.

"(The coaches) don't look at the year, they look at the player," Johnson said. "That's my mindset is, the best player will play on the field."

He's not sure how many backs the coaches plan to play this season or if he'll be in the mix, but says it's still early.

"I think it's too early, but I'm sure after the spring and after the summer, the coaches will have a good understanding of who is going to play and going to rotate in," Johnson said.

Johnson is hoping to have a good final week of spring practices before the spring game on Saturday.

"It would be a waste of time to all the way up and then go back down your last week so always rise," he concluded.
 7 years ago '07        #7271
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,223 | Props total: 459 459
storm better be in that rotation
 7 years ago '06        #7272
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
New Commit... dont know much about him but he has a bunch of offers

Chalk up another local recruit looking to be a part of The U.

Herald All-Scholastic wide receiver/defensive back Albert Louis-Jean verbally committed to attend the University of Miami in the fall of 2011. Louis-Jean locked in his decision Monday night and has spent the past 48 hours informing other schools that he has made up his mind. As we speak, Louis-Jean is on route to Miami for its big alumni weekend.

“Albert had a lot of offers on the table,” said a source close to the scene. “But ever since he started watching football, he always liked Miami and its program.”

Among the schools who had offered the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Louis-Jean were Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Stanford, Syracuse and Vanderbilt

7 years ago '04        #7273
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Spring Practice Report #13
Mar. 24, 2010

Micanor Regis.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes completed their 13th practice of the spring Wednesday afternoon.

The team practiced in pads a day after the team returned to practice following an 11-day layoff for spring break.

Miami will hold 15 practices this spring including the annual spring game this Saturday, March 27th at Traz Powell Stadium.

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of practice including who had a good day today for the Hurricanes.

NOTABLES IN ATTENDANCE

Former Hurricanes: Willis McGahee and Jason Fox.

Recruits: Travis Williams (2010 signee), Brandon Linder (2010 signee), Jermaine Barton (2010 signee), Eduardo Clements (2010 signee) and Albert Louis-Jean (2011 commitment).

NEWS & NOTES

• CB Brandon Harris continues to be out with an injury and his status is unknown for the spring game on Saturday.

• Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff has told senior CB DeMarcus Van Dyke that it's time to have a big season and that he can get a freshman in here to have a similar season to Van Dyke's 2009 campaign in which he 30 tackles, one interception, and three pass breakups in 12 games, making eight starts. McGriff did note that he feels Van Dyke is playing better because he has another year under his belt and is becoming a leader.

• DE Adewale Ojomo had high praise for DT Micanor Regis stating that he believes Regis can be an All-American this season adding that he has been "consistently dominant" during practices. This is a great sign for Regis and the Hurricanes, which haven't had a dominant defensive tackle since 2006 when Kareem Brown recorded 11 sacks.

• Freshman WR Allen Hurns practiced with contact for the first time this spring on Tuesday and scored a 20-yard touchdown. Hurns noted that junior Aldarius Johnson has been extremely helpful in his adjustment to college and that he's doing well with his left knee, but it still remains sore at times.

• McGriff said that Vaughn Telemaque has been a guy, whose attitude has changed this spring from the fall and has "really bought in" to what the coaching are teaching, which has a.ssisted him during his standout spring.

• When Ojomo was asked if this spring has gone as expected or better, he responded, "I couldn't have drew it up any better". Ojomo is currently weighing 262 pounds, up from when he was 240 when he played in 2008 and nearly 50 pounds heavier than he was during the fall after his jaw surgery.

• DL Allen Bailey is playing left defensive end during the spring, but that doesn't mean he won't be a defensive tackle in the fall as Coach Shannon said they will use him wherever they need him.

• DE Andrew Smith continues to improve. Coach Shannon: "It’s improved a lot. The defensive ends have really done a good job. Andrew’s done a good job. You see them taking that next step. They’ve been here three years. When you get guys on your football team, in three years’ time, they should be ready to step in and play. Pass rushing and staying consistent has really showed up in practice. The more you can continue to develop guys, the better you will be as a football team."

• The team will have a day off on Thursday and will return to practice on Friday.
 7 years ago '07        #7274
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
I think we can agree that RB's and D-line are gonna be our real strengths this year. I see few other college teams with talent like that
 7 years ago '05        #7275
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Like any other day, Karen Johnson picked up her son Andre from his football practice at Miami Senior High School and began cooking dinner.

Rated the No. 3 receiver in the country by The Sporting News, Andre was looking over recruiting letters from universities such as Miami and Southern California, while his mom stood alone in the kitchen and suddenly heard a voice.

“It was like somebody was on the side of me whispering in my ear saying, ‘Go tell Andre that if he goes to the University of Miami he will win a national championship,’” she said. “A couple of nights later, we were heading to dinner with UM, and Andre said, ‘I think I’m going to go to UM. And maybe two years later, we’ll win the national championship.’”

Three years later, as a redshirt sophomore, that’s exactly what Andre Johnson did when he earned co-MVP at the 2002 Rose Bowl.

The following season, after catching 52 passes for 1,092 yards and a team-high nine touchdowns, Johnson and the Hurricanes lost in the national title game to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

He and redshirt sophomore running back Willis McGahee were early draftees on a team that sent eight players to the National Football League. Johnson was selected third overall by the Houston Texans in the 2003 NFL Draft.

When he made the decision to leave and pursue his professional football career, his mom had one condition: Johnson would come back to finish his degree.

Seven years later, the 6-foot-3, 228-pound football player stayed true to his word and enrolled for the 2010 spring semester.

“It was just something I always wanted to do,” he said. “I always told my mom that if I left school early, I’d come back and finish. So I just felt like it was time to come back and get it done.”

The Pro Bowl wide receiver makes the daily commute from his home in Ft. Lauderdale in time for his earliest class at 11 a.m.

“It’s definitely different because you haven’t been doing it for so long,” he said. “To be honest it’s kind of fun to be back here. I get a kick out of just seeing people looking at me walking around campus and things like that.”

Initially, classmates were surprised to see a book bag-toting Johnson riding on the Hurry ‘Canes shuttle or eating at the food court.

He signed autographs and received bewildered stares from workers at Wendy’s.

“For me to come in and just walk into class with my book bag on, I know they’re kind of wondering why I’m here,” he said. “It shows them that just because you’re presented with an opportunity you can still come back and get your education.”

His decision to return to school and finish his degree is something that he says his peers respect.

“It doesn’t surprise me that he went back because he was always one of those guys who wanted to achieve things, and I knew that was one of those achievements,” said McGahee, now a sixth-year running back for the Baltimore Ravens.

McGahee was supposed to enroll in three classes for the spring semester with Johnson, but had to back out at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts. Although undeclared when he left the university, the Pro Bowler hopes to pursue political science.

“I just want to get my degree,” he said. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to put on my wall.”

According to David Wyman, a.ssistant athletic director of academic services, more than 50 percent of UM’s former athletes inquire about finishing their degrees. That number includes former All-Pro defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy and former cornerback and Super Bowl champion Duane Starks.

“The University of Miami is a family, and we always embrace our former student-athletes to help them in any way possible,” Wyman said. “Our door and arms are always open to help them get back in school and finish their degrees. We want to see them continue to produce and have successful lives even after football.”

Junior offensive lineman Orlando Franklin, who is in Johnson’s social inequalities class, believes that the receiver serves as a role model to kids, college students, student-athletes and professional football players alike.

“He was one of those top guys who got drafted and left early,” he said. “He was blessed with the talent he has, and he’s not hurting money-wise, so he notices you can’t play ball forever. It’s good that he’s fallen back upon his education.”

When Johnson left the University of Miami, he needed just 30 credits to graduate with a degree in liberal arts. This semester he is a full-time student taking 12 credits.

One of his professors, Dr. George Wilson, teaches his social inequalities class and had him as a student when he first came to Coral Gables.

“It has been a pleasure to see how much intellectual and emotional growth Andre has made,” Wilson said of the soft-spoken 28-year-old athlete.

Chris Harris, a Ph.D. candidate who has Johnson in his intercultural communications course, appreciates that the professional football player participates like any other student. He also agreed that Johnson has a quiet and somewhat shy demeanor.

Forty-two NFL touchdowns later, the wide receiver has yet to celebrate like some of the sport’s play making receivers such as Cincinnati Bengal Chad Ochocinco or free agent Terrell Owens.

“He takes all of his a.ssignments seriously and gets them all in on time,” Harris said. “He’s taking his degree seriously. He has a good work ethic and always does what I ask him to do. My class is discussion based, and he participates consistently.”

During Pro Bowl week, Johnson missed classes because of practice and admitted that he was worried about receiving excused absences.

“I was pretty nervous about it because I knew I’d be missing a lot of time over those two weeks and I didn’t know, with me being away for so long, how the teachers would react to it, but they’ve been very helpful,” he said. “They understand that part of it, but I’m going to try my best to communicate with them and get my a.ssignments done.”

When he isn’t shaking off Pro Bowl cornerbacks or hitting the books, Johnson stops by his childhood home for a meal every now and then and to spend time with his mother.

“He likes seafood. He likes fish and shrimp,” Karen Johnson said. “When he was first at school, what I would do is call him and ask him what time he would get out of practice on a Sunday. He’d bring a couple of players by and I’d cook them a home-cooked meal. They would eat and they’d bring some back for the guys who couldn’t make it.”

It’s that camaraderie that Johnson misses the most seven years removed from the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus.

“There are so many memories that I have just from being around my teammates, being over at the Hecht Athletic Center all the time, even in the dorms when I stayed in the dorms,” he said. “We were always on campus. When you spend so much time somewhere and you get up one day and leave, you definitely miss it from the memories.”

As a Parade All-American, Johnson actually missed his high school graduation ceremony because he was competing in the Florida/Georgia All-Star Game.

“I feel like I’ve never really graduated,” he said. “Me getting my college degree would definitely be a graduation that I go to.”

His mother still remembers the entire recruiting process.

When then-head coach Butch Davis came to visit, she asked questions purely on academics, and gave her brother the job of anything related to football. She can’t wait until her son joins his brother, Willie, as a college graduate.

“I’ll probably be in tears. It’s going to be interesting,” Karen Johnson said. “We will need extra tickets.”
 7 years ago '05        #7276
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
A few notes from Wednesday’s practice:

….Jamal Reid, who has been running ahead of Ray Ray Armstrong for one starting job at safety, laid a big hit on running back Mike James during Wednesday’s practice. That might not seem like a big deal except that Reid weighs 180 pounds (maybe) and James is 220. Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff appreciates the toughness, but wants to make sure Reid picks his spots. “I hope he doesn’t try to get the big hit award because he needs to put more weight on before he does that,” McGriff said. “Every player has a weakness and [Reid] thinks his weakness right now is, ‘I got to prove I can tackle.’ If you tell him he has a weakness, Jamal is going to work on it. Yeah, I definitely want to see his tackling improve but I don’t want to see him run into Mike James too many times because I don’t think he’ll win all those battles.”

Adewale Ojomo is back, but not all the way back. (Miami Herald)

….Vaughn Telemaque, UM’s other starting safety, has been one of spring practice’s best performers. According to McGriff, “The difference between Vaughn Telemaque now and last season is his whole attitude. He’s really bought into learning the scheme. He’s really elevated his play. He’s like a different guy out there right now. He’s not that same guy that you have to coach every play. Now he realizes when he makes a mistake.”

….Cornerback Brandon McGee is as talented as any defensive back on UM’s roster but “has to learn how to finish the play,” McGriff said. “He gets himself in great position. He’s a great athlete with tremendous speed. Now he’s got to know how to finish. You see him getting better but now you want him to put it together.”

….Cornerback Brandon Harris has missed most of spring practice and it seems unlikely he will participate in Saturday’s spring game at Traz Powell Stadium because of a leg injury. Harris also missed time at the beginning of spring practice because of his participation on the men’s track team.

….UM received an oral commitment from Brockton (Mass.) defensive back Albert Louis-Jean. Scout.com has Louis-Jean ranked as the nation’s 10th-best cornerback prospect in the class of 2011. Louis-Jean told Canesport.com that the only way he will back out of his commitment is if Randy Shannon is not UM’s coach.

….Shannon said that defensive end Adewale Ojomo, who missed all of last season with a broken jaw, is all the way back physically, “but his timing is a little bit off.” Shannon on Ojomo: “From where he was earlier to now, he’s back to being physical, tough, excited [and] he’s playing with a lot of emotion and things like that. It’s just that the timing is off a little. Sometimes he shows some flashes and sometimes you’re like, ‘Whoa, we still have some work to do.’”

….McGriff, who is funny, insightful and a bit of a smart aleck, on how he keeps his defensive backs humble: “Like I tell them all the time, you have a first-round body but a free-agent mind.”

….Willis McGahee has become a regular at spring practice.
 7 years ago '04        #7277
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Analyzing the Safeties with Coach McGriff
Mar. 25, 2010

Ray Ray Armstrong (left), Jamal Reid (middle), and Vaughn Telemaque (right).
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The coaches at Miami are encouraged by the development of the safeties during spring practices.

Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff, who is in his fourth season at UM, discussed the three safeties who are playing safety this spring in Vaughn Telemaque, Ray Ray Armstrong, and Jamal Reid providing the analysis portion of the reports below.

"I think the competition at every position is wide open. Safety is no exception," McGriff said. "The one thing I think we have right now at the University of Miami is that we have some quality depth at positions where--like I told the guys in a meeting the other day, 'you can make a mistake and end up on second team when we start to formulate the depth chart and you might never end up back on the field'. But it's definitely wide open and we are a long ways from kicking off. They have to do a lot of things right both on and off the field to prove to us that they can go out and help us win a ballgame."

Senior Jared Campbell suffered a knee injury during spring practices and was not included in the reports.

#7 Vaughn Telemaque
The Basics: Sophomore - 6-2, 197 - Long Beach, Calif.

The Stats: 48 tackles, 4 pass breakups in 12 games, making 11 starts

The Scoop: Has been one of the standouts during the spring earning the praise of head coach Randy Shannon for being a better playmaker against the pass.

The Analysis: "I think the biggest difference between Vaughn Telemaque now and the end of last season is his whole attitude. You hate to use this term, but I think he's really bought in to learning the scheme and buying into what we're doing. He's really elevated his play, he's like a different guy out there right now. He's not that same guy that you have to coach every play. Now, he realizes when he makes mistakes. He's preparing himself to be a leader by example. He's a good football player."

The Future: Look for Telemaque to have a breakout season in 2010 and really be an impact player on the defense as one of the top players.

The Story: Telemaque Making Big Plays, Setting High Goals

#26 Ray Ray Armstrong
The Basics: Sophomore - 6-4, 220 - Sanford, Fla.

The Stats: 21 tackles, 1 pass breakup in 10 games, making 1 start

The Scoop: Armstrong is tied for the team lead with five interceptions during the spring and has impressed a number of his teammates. He's keeping his weight down to make sure he can still roam free in the secondary, but his strength still remains as a tough tackler.

The Analysis: "He's got a lot of room to improve. The biggest thing the secondary has to improve on is being disciplined with their eyes, being in the right spot, and not peaking at the quarterback. He can get better with his footwork, he can get better with his speed, there's a lot of room for improvement. And keep in mind this is spring ball. We haven't played against anybody yet. We like his progress, but we want to see it when the lights come on."

The Future: Armstrong was the team's prized recruit in the 2009 class and still has a very bright future ahead of him. This should be the season he breaks out and becomes dominant after earning valuable experience last season.

The Story: Ray Ray: UM Expects Better

#15 Jamal Reid
The Basics: Redshirt Freshman - 6-1, 180 - Mayo, Fla.

The Stats: Did not play in 2009

The Scoop: Reid has earned praise for being an improved player in the spring, but is often overlooked by Telemaque and Armstrong because of his size and he was not a big-time recruit like they were although he was an Under Armour All-American.

The Analysis: "Jamal is a very, very coachable young man. He's one of those guys that you better tell him how you want it done the right way the first time because Jamal is going to go out and try to do that way. He is a high-effort guy, he's going to give everything he's got, and he studies a lot of film. I'm real happy with his progress. He's a little ahead of where I thought he would be because when you redshirt, that kind of gets you behind a little bit in terms of being sound in your a.ssignment and your technique, but he has done a great job of preparing himself for spring ball. He's been doing a great job on the field."

On Jamal wanting to be a better tackler: "I hope Jamal doesn't try to get the big hitter award because he has to put on some more weight before he gets after that one. But he's a good open field tackler. One thing he brings to our football team is that he brings a lot of athleticism to the safety position because he can run, he's fluid, he's athletic, he can match up one-on-one with receivers. Every player has a weakness and he thinks his weakness right now is that he has to prove that he can tackle. The one thing about it, if you tell Jamal has a weakness, then he's going to go work on it."

The Future: Look for Jamal to earn time on special teams this fall and could be counted on at safety although Telemaque and Armstrong remain the favorites to win the starting jobs.
 7 years ago '05        #7278
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
supposedly mcgriff told dvd..if he doesnt step it up this yr...hell get a freshmen who will do it for him

found the exact quote

From Barry Jackson's blog in the Miami Herald:

" Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff said he told cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, ``What you did last year, I could get a freshman to do. It's time for you to step up.'' McGriff said Van Dyke ``accepted that challenge'' and has improved this spring. "

Last edited by Deeangoe; 03-26-2010 at 03:48 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #7279
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 Deeangoe said:
supposedly mcgriff told dvd..if he doesnt step it up this yr...hell get a freshmen who will do it for him

found the exact quote

From Barry Jackson's blog in the Miami Herald:

" Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff said he told cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, ``What you did last year, I could get a freshman to do. It's time for you to step up.'' McGriff said Van Dyke ``accepted that challenge'' and has improved this spring. "
It's about damn time DVD stepped up. One f**king interception in 3 years and he has been playing since he was a freshman too Overhyped a.ss 4-star recruit hopefully working out with Rumph elevated his level of play.
 7 years ago '04        #7280
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Spring Practice Report #14
Mar. 26, 2010

Jimmy Johnson
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes completed their 14th practice of the spring Friday afternoon.

Friday was the alumni day with about 100 former players in attendance, including former coach Jimmy Johnson.

“It is good," Shannon said. "Every year we do it and we get guys from the 1960s to the 1980s and 1990s to come out and be a part of it. That is what our base is, is our alumnus and our support that we get from those guys no matter where we are at.”

The team practiced in pads a day before the annual spring game tomorrow at 4:30 at Traz Powell Stadium.

Tomorrow's spring game will complete Miami's 15 allotted practices for the spring.

NOTABLES IN ATTENDANCE

Former Hurricanes: Jimmy Johnson, Daniel Stubbs, Darrin Smith, Cortez Kenedy, Ted Hendricks, Kenard Lang, Steve Walsh, Lamar Thomas.

Recruits: Travis Williams (2010 signee), Eduardo Clements (2010 signee), Chase Ford (2010 signee), Albert Louis-Jean (2011 commitment) and 2011 recruits TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, QB Kevin Sousa, OL Ruben Carter, WR Joe Morrow, DB Jabari Gorman, and DE Anthony Chickillo.

NEWS & NOTES

• The format of the spring game on Saturday will be 10-minute quarters with the first team defense going against the second team offense and the second team defense going against the first team offense.

• CB Brandon Harris and OL Orlando Franklin will not participate in the spring game. OL Brandon Washington will participate. “The same guys that haven’t practiced all spring [will be out]," Shannon said. "The same guys will be out except for Brandon Washington.”

• DT Micanor Regis had an interception in today's scrimmage, bringing his total to the spring to three interceptions. CB Corey Nelms also had an interception.

• RB Mike James had a long touchdown run during the scrimmage.

• Shannon on what he has been impressed with during spring football: “The development of certain players and the development of young guys on offensive line and the development of the defensive front. LaRon Byrd took that next step. We know the running backs is young, but we saw them progress. We said to the defensive line, now it is time to turn it on and they did. You watch the quarterbacks, and they were fumbling snaps early, but after two weeks they stopped doing that.”

• LB Kylan Robinson has Shannon excited about his development this spring. Shannon says Robinson will be able to make a contribution to the team next year. “He is a fifth year guy and the light has come on and he is confident and in practice he is joking around. Like today he made a play and it was like, that is K-Rob. He tossed a guy on the ground and you have never seen K-Rob do that before. Any time you see players do that you get excited.”
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy