most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #7201
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,595 | Props total: 12024 12024
 ttime236 said:
What position you think hell end up playin?
saftey IMO

ball hawk, beast @ tackling

he could also play corner if he wanted too tho
 7 years ago '04        #7202
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Spring Practice Report: #9
Mar. 9, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

DeMarcus Van Dyke
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes completed their ninth practice of the spring Tuesday afternoon.

The team practiced in shoulder pads and shorts today after holding the first scrimmage of the spring on Saturday.

Miami will hold 15 practices this spring including the annual spring game on March 27.

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of practice including who had a good day today for the Hurricanes.

Click here to view photos.

NOTABLES IN ATTENDANCE

Class of 2010 signee Eduardo Clements, former offensive tackle Jason Fox, and South Plantation High School including 2011 WR prospect Robbie Anderson.

NEWS & NOTES

• After watching the film of the scrimmage on Saturday, coach Randy Shannon highlighted the areas he was impressed with: “I was pleased with the way the defensive line played, we were very active at defensive end. I was really pleased with the defensive ends and Sean Spence and Colin McCarthy really responded. Vaughn Telemaque and DeMarcus Van Dyke stepped up too,” Shannon said.

• The group of running backs with Damien Berry, Mike James, Lamar Miller, and Storm Johnson had a solid day of running the ball. The group combined to run the ball 31 times for 173 yards and two touchdowns. “The running backs made some runs which was exciting to see because the young guys have a chance to do something and they did,” Shannon said.

• With Orlando Franklin, Joel Figueroa, and Brandon Washington not participating in the scrimmage, Shannon said the scrimmage was a learning experience for the young group at offensive line. “They took their bumps and bruises, but they kept going on. They had a lot of mentals, but with those young guys up front that is going to happen.”

• Shannon had high praise for defensive tackles Curtis Porter and Micanor Regis. “Curtis Porter and Regis right now are inside guys that are hard to move,” Shannon said. “Those two guys are big inside that are hard to move. They have to keep it going and I think Regis took that next step with his mentality because he plays harder than he ever did and Porter has to come around now. He showed something last year, but now he has to pour it on. Both those guys could be dominant guys inside.”

• WR LaRon Byrd had a strong practice today, catching a 60-yard touchdown pass during scrimmage situations.

• RB Mike James had an impressive practice today, breaking some long runs.

• CB DeMarcus Van Dyke had an interception today and the defense forced to fumbles.

• With the injuries at guard, Jared Wheeler and Harland Gunn are getting the first team reps at guard. “It gets a lot of guys reps and you build off that,” Shannon said. “The guys can see the different defensive formations and you get a sense of that and the more reps you get the better you become as a player and you see that improvement from day one to now. The offensive line is really improving.”

• Defensive back Corey Nelms will return to practice on Wednesday after competing in the track and field this past weekend. He did not practice today because he has class. Nelms is expected to help the depth at cornerback for UM.

• Shannon on the progress of early enrollee freshman Shane McDermott: “He is still a young guy and still learning. The physical part is always tough for [freshmen] because they are not used to going against 300 pounders every time. He is responding well.”

• Shannon on the position battles at wide receivers: “They have to take that next step and separate from each other. They have to always have great practices because great players always have that mentality. Good players have the mentality of ok I am satisfied. I think they have the ability to have greatness in them and they have to get it done.”

• CB Brandon Harris was held out of practice today.
 7 years ago '04        #7203
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DT Regis Expects More Big Plays with Improved Technique
Mar. 9, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Micanor Regis.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Getting better. That’s all defensive tackle Micanor Regis cares about. That’s all he wants and he said he is working day-by-day to get better.

And that’s big, because Regis is arguably the ‘Canes best defensive tackle going into the 2010 season, a.ssuming that Allen Bailey stays at defensive end, and maybe even if he plays defensive tackle as well.

Regis is happy with his progression though.

“Everything is going well, going as planned, learning new stuff everyday getting better and better,” Regis said.

The main thing to work on?

“Just my technique. You can always improve on that,” Regis said. “It went okay, that’s why this spring I am working on more technique so I can get better.”

With that improved technique, he expects more big plays to come, including interceptions which he tied for the team lead in last season with Brandon Harris with two interceptions.

“All that, just to make more plays,” Regis said. “Hey, it’s more plays so I guess so (picks) too.”

He attributes his improvement each day to new defensive line coach Rick Petri and said that Petri’s experience is what separates him from former defensive line coach Clint Hurtt.

“That’s why we got coach Petri, he’s a good coach, teaching us the pass rush,” Regis said. “It’s different, he’s older, he knows the game a lot, got a lot of history experience, there’s more teaching.”

Regis also said the defensive line does feel the pressure of having to anchor the team because of the current depth and experience of the unit.

“Yea since we got the most experience, I feel we have to play better and make things happen,” Regis said.
 7 years ago '04        #7204
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
LB Holton Feels More Powerful
Mar. 9, 2010

C.J. Holton
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- C.J. Holton continues to grow into a linebacker.

Holton signed with UM in 2008 as a 6-foot-1, 195-pound hard-hitting safety from Wakulla High School where he was an ESPNU 150 recruit.

After redshirting during his first season at UM in 2008, he was switched to linebacker the following spring.

In 2009, he totaled seven tackles on special teams in 12 games as he eventually grew to 212 pounds.

This spring, Holton is up to 230 pounds and competing for a starting spot.

“I feel good,” Holton said. “I had to get used to it the first and second day. Now I am flying around like my old self like I was in high school.”

With the weight, he feels more explosive.

“I feel I am more explosive especially with my speed,” Holton said. “Most people don’t think I’m fast because I weigh so much, but I feel more explosive, more powerful like a different person.”

He is currently the second-team strongside linebacker behind junior Sean Spence.

“My goal is always to start, but whatever I can do to help the team, I want to push forward for that,” Holton said. “I definitely want to try my hardest to get on the field more.”

The coaches at UM remind Holton to continue to learn the playbook and study film, which he feels will help him get on the field more.

At the other linebacker positions this spring are: MLBs Kylan Robinson and Shayon Green and WLBs Colin McCarthy and Tyrone Cornileus.

Jordan Futch and Ramon Buchanan, who also signed in 2008 with Holton, are out this spring with injuries.

“(The spring) is pretty good,” Holton said. “I’m learning from everybody. Futch and Buchanan are out, but they are still teaching me the defense with this being kind of new to me.”

Spring practices resume Tuesday afternoon.
 7 years ago '04        #7205
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
"I'm not out for the count" says WR Johnson
Mar. 9, 2010

Davon Johnson.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Davon Johnson is often a forgotten receiver.

Johnson was one of seven wide receivers, who signed in 2008.

He played sparingly as a freshman catching five passes for 71 yards and a touchdown.

Then, as a sophomore, he redshirted although he was not injured.

“My goal is to get in the rotation this year,” Johnson said. “Last year I was redshirted and that was a good time to learn the system better and get well-adjusted to college ball. And this year I’m ready.”

Johnson, the 6-foot, 192-pound wideout from Booker T. Washington, is looking forward to the open scrimmage on Thursday at Lockhart Stadium.

“I’m going to bring my ‘A’ game and show everybody that Davon is not out for the count. I’m still here and I’m still in the thick of things,” he said.

Johnson has caught six passes and a touchdown during team drills this spring, while receiving ample reps in a crowded unit, which has nine players battling for playing time.

“I’m making plays. I’m getting open,” Johnson said. “I’m getting good reps. We are limited with tight ends so we are going more with three and four-wide so I’m getting more reps.”

Following the third game of the 2009 season against Virginia Tech, Johnson’s third straight game in which he did not see action, he decided it was best to be redshirted.

“I decided after the third game to go ahead and redshirt me so I don’t have to waste a whole year so I have another year of eligibility to play,” he said.

He is staying positive about his experience in his first two seasons and is looking forward to the future.

“My mom told me that everybody is going to have their time.” Johnson said. “My time is just not right now. When my time comes, just be ready for when the opportunity comes knocking on your door so when my number gets called, I’ll be ready.”
 7 years ago '04        #7206
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Move to MLB a Possibility for McCarthy
Mar. 9, 2010

By: David Lake

Colin McCarthy
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Replacing the production of departed middle linebacker Darryl Sharpton will be a tall order for the Miami defense in 2010.

Senior linebacker Colin McCarthy may be the man to fill that void.

McCarthy, who has played outside linebacker his entire UM career, makes the most sense of all the linebackers on the UM roster to be moved to the middle.

McCarthy is by far Miami’s most experience linebacker, having started 24 games throughout his UM career. With outside linebackers Ramon Buchanan and Jordan Futch out this spring due to injuries, McCarthy hasn’t made a total switch to middle linebacker, but he is playing that position in the nickel package.

Typically Miami likes to move their veteran outside linebackers to middle linebacker if needed. In 2007 Tavares Gooden made the move to middle linebacker and had the best year as a Hurricane.

“As far as I know it is still a possibility,” McCarthy said of moving to middle linebacker next season. “We are kind of working everybody in. Right now I am playing middle linebacker in the nickel and there is not much difference in that compare to the base defense. I am glad to be out here and just working.”

Darryl Sharpton led Miami with 106 total tackles and also finished with 8.5 tackles for loss while being named to the second team All-ACC. McCarthy knows replacing Sharpton will be a tall order this season.

“Missing Darryl is going to hurt a lot, but hopefully we can get Ramon and Futch back off injuries,” McCarthy said. “Everybody is doing a great job of learning the defense and they are put in situations to be successful.”

One of the young players who is getting a lot of reps at middle linebacker this spring is redshirt freshman Shayon Green. McCarthy says he has seen some growth out of Green at the position through the first two weeks of spring football.

“He is doing good,” McCarthy said. “I think he was a little overwhelmed early, but he has shown he is a lot more comfortable. He is working with the first and second team and he is showing that he is learning a lot. In the beginning he was struggling with the strength calls and getting people lined up, but now he is making checks and doing what the middle linebacker needs to do.”

Coach Micheal Barrow will be coaching the linebackers again this season after being named a defensive a.ssistant last year and defensive coordinator John Lovett coaching the linebackers. McCarthy talked about what coach Barrow brings to the linebacker unit as a coach.

“I think coach Barrow being the linebackers coach now has helped a lot,” McCarthy said. “It gives coach Lovett the chance to work with everybody. It is good to have another year with the defense and get another year of experience with it. We are getting better out here.”

“He is a great coach and he brings lots of intensity to practice. He wants you to work everyday and that is what he demands and expects from us. He has been there before so we can relate to him. He has done a great job and we feed off him.”

A primary area the Miami defense has been emphasizing this spring has been forcing turnovers. Miami ranked just 68th in the country in forcing 21 total turnovers last season. The Hurricanes ranked just 87th in the country in interceptions with nine on the year.

“We have been emphasizing that a lot,” McCarthy said. “We have been working on stripping the ball and we just need to get a couple more interceptions. That is what we need to change the game.”

McCarthy finished his junior season with 95 tackles, 10.5 tackled for loss, and one interception.
 7 years ago '04        #7207
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Why are people making it sound as we had lost a "great" MLB in Sharpton???

Ole boy only came along in the second half of last season. 3.5 years prior to that and he was just another Coker bum who didn't know a single thing about tackling and taking angles.

We're gonna be fine at MLB, somebody will step in and I'm thinking that will be Futch if he comes back healthy. He was already better than Sharpton was when he was a junior. I'd like to say Cookie will challenge for the job but he looks to be more of an outside linebacker unless he comes into the fall weighting 235lbs.

The position I'm most worried about is guard if B-Washington doesn't come back healthy enough. We have depth in the O-line but it's mostly unprepared and without game experience. My n*gga J-Fig needs to step up to the plate; this is his senior year and if he wants a shot at the pros he needs to come in full force. I think Gunn stepped up last year and with Matt "The Hole" Pipho gone, J12 will have pretty good time to throw the football. I have a hunch that Bunche is gonna make big noise though and Ben Jones should be ready this year as well.

Last edited by Cap Peeler; 03-09-2010 at 10:31 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #7208
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
Orlando Franklin, Brandon Washington and Joel Figueroa – all expected to be starters next season – have been unable to participate in practice recently because of a.ssorted injuries.
Franklin, set to take over at left tackle for Jason Fox, has been out for about a week with and undisclosed injury. Figueroa, who will start at one guard spot, had shoulder surgery and won’t participate in spring practice. Washington, a starter at guard in the final two games of 2009, has his left leg wrapped stiffly in a brace and is rumored to have a torn MCL.
One player who shall go nameless said Tuesday that freshman tackle Stephen Plein is also injured and unavailable to practice.
That’s left UM with eight scholarship lineman – Harland Gunn, Ben Jones, Jermaine Johnson, Tyler Horn, Cory White, Shane McDermott, Jared Wheeler and Malcolm Bunche – possibly for the rest of spring practice.
McDermott, from Palm Beach Central, and Bunche are true freshman who enrolled at UM in January. Johnson, White and Wheeler did not play at all last season as freshmen.
Coach Randy Shannon downplayed the absences of the three starters, saying that “it’s not the season.”
But UM coaches surely would have preferred that Franklin, who played guard almost exclusively in first three seasons, got as many snaps as possible as he transitions full time to tackle.
Thankfully, the 2010 season is still six months away.
 7 years ago '06        #7209
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
latwan anderson is a cane
 7 years ago '04        #7210
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
welcome latwan
 7 years ago '07        #7211
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 465 465
category 5
 7 years ago '04        #7212
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DB Anderson Talks Commitment
Mar. 10, 2010

Latwan Anderson
After his recruiting process has extended well past national signing day, defensive back Latwan Anderson from Glenville High in Cleveland, Ohio, has decided to continue his career as a Miami Hurricane.

Playing a role in Anderson’s (5-11, 185) decision was the recent official visit he took to Coral Gables from March 5th through March 7th.

Anderson has not sent in his letter of intent yet to Miami, but he plans on doing that tomorrow.

“I won’t send my papers until tomorrow morning," Anderson said. "I will send them in as soon as I get them.”

Anderson is signing a track and field scholarship with Miami and will practice with the UM football team next fall.

“I am not allowed to talk to the football coaches right now," Anderson said. "The track coaches have been talking for the football coaches and they have been meetings and being the in-between. Right now the track coaches tell me don’t know what position I will play when I get there.”

Anderson had originally made a verbal commitment to West Virginia on January 9th via a live announcement during the Army All-American Bowl. However, he never signed with the Mountaineers and looked into a few different schools after signing day.

“The main reason I picked them over West Virginia is because Miami stacked up with them step for step and then when it came to football, Miami was ahead of them. It was by far much better at Miami from a football stand point,” Anderson said.

“At Miami I felt like it was more like a family than a business. I liked that feel. I always knew that they produced athletes and that they all love coming back to the school, but I really saw that is a family type atmosphere down there.”

Another factor that weighed heavily in Miami's favor is their tradition of putting players into the NFL.

"That played a big part when I looked at who they have put in the NFL. That is one thing that weighed in Miami’s favor. I can only think of one defensive back from West Virginia that made it to the NFL and that is Pacman Jones.

Now that he has made a final decision about where he’s headed, Anderson is honestly just glad to finally be done with his whirlwind recruitment.

Anderson had an absolutely dominating senior season in 2009. From his safety spot, he made 66 tackles, forced 4 fumbles, and picked off an incredible 14 passes.

Anderson says he doesn't have a preference on whether he plays safety or cornerback for Miami, he just wants to play on defense.

“I would rather play corner or safety," Anderson said. It doesn’t matter to me because I just want to play defense. I feel like I have a chance to play early. Of course there is no guarantee, but seeing the depth chart I feel like there is a chance to play next year.”

Anderson is the fifth defensive back in the 2010 Miami recruiting class joining Keion Payne, Kacy Rodgers, Jeremy Davis, and Devont’a Davis.

Anderson is a four star recruit by ESPN.

He is currently running track and has a best of 21.37 in the 200 meters. This year he wants to run under 21 seconds.
 7 years ago '04        #7213
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Spring Practice Report: #10
Mar. 10, 2010

Tommy Streeter
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes completed their tenth practice of the spring Wednesday afternoon.

The team practiced in full pads as they prepare for the first open scrimmage of the spring Thursday night at 7 p.m. at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County.

Miami will hold 15 practices this spring including the annual spring game on March 27.

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of practice including who had a good day today for the Hurricanes.

Click here to view photos.

NOTABLES IN ATTENDANCE

Class of 2010 signee RB Eduardo Clements, former UM TE Tervaris Johnson, and former UM wide receiver Jermaine McKenzie, who transferred to Memphis.

NEWS & NOTES

• Miami will hold their first open scrimmage of the spring Thursday night at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County. There will be an autograph session with the players before the scrimmage begins at 7 p.m.

• Shannon says the goal in the Thursday scrimmage is to have improvement off the team’s first scrimmage that was held on Saturday. “You just want improvement that is all you can want from a scrimmage, to hope that you are improving and you don’t go backwards,” Shannon said. “I expect the running backs to keep the intensity going on. They can’t go backwards because they have had their success.”

“Guys who make mistakes, see if they cut down on their mistakes. Guys who miss tackled, see if they cut down on their missed tackles. Guys who had a great scrimmage have an even better scrimmage.”

• Shannon says he hasn’t decided on the format for the scrimmage yet. “It is just how I feel. If I get in one of those moods where it is 100 plays, we will go 100. It just depends,” Shannon said.

• Quarterbacks A.J. Highsmith, Stephen Morris, and Spencer Whipple will all get equal reps during the scrimmage, Shannon says. “They always get the same amount of snaps,” Shannon said. “They will rotate like we have been doing all the time. Somebody will go with the ones and somebody will go with the twos and they will just keep rotating.”

• WR Tommy Streeter caught a long touchdown pass from QB Stephen Morris on a go route during the two-minute drills.

• WR Aldarius Johnson shook off a tackle from a defensive back on an out-route and had a long touchdown during 11-on-11 situations.

• WR Leonard Hankerson caught a touchdown pass during red-zone drills and did a good job of moving the chains during the two-minute drill.

• RB Storm Johnson had a good day running the football Wednesday, breaking multiple long runs and scoring one touchdown.

• According to WR Tommy Streeter, QB Spencer Whipple throws a ball that is smooth "like a roll of toilet paper" like in the movie Little Giants.

• One player who is having a very strong spring this year is senior CB DeMarcus Van Dyke, who leads the team in interceptions this spring. UM coach Randy Shannon says he has seen improvement from Van Dyke this spring. “He is doing better,” Shannon said. “He is playing with a little bit more intensity and playing with a little bit more like a veteran guy. That is what we need him to do to keep stepping up that way and he has been doing a great job of doing that in practice. The more he takes that upon himself to get better, the better we will be as a defense.”

• Allen Bailey is playing left defensive end and he feels like he can be a leader by example with the defensive line. He feels like Curtis Porter is having a strong spring.

• Shannon on how the defensive tackle rotation is looking with Micanor Regis and Curtis Porter: “We are pleased with them because they have shown improvement from the first day until now and they keep getting every day and every week.”

• DB Ryan Hill can participate in coverage drills this spring, but due to a recovering shoulder injury he is not tackling. “We are still monitoring his shoulder from the season,” Shannon said. “Most of defensive back work is footwork and things like that and the hitting part will come in two-a-days, so he is getting most of his footwork done. He is covering but none of the physical stuff.”

• According to Shannon, the Hurricanes do not have any more room to give out any more football scholarships for the 2010 recruiting class. “We just don‘t have anything,” Shannon said of scholarship space.

• Current NFL All-Pro Andre Johnson is going back to school this semester at UM to earn his degree. Shannon is pleased to see Johnson work to finish up his schooling. “I think it is good for the guys on the team to see a All-Pro NFL player come back and finish up his degree,” Shannon said. “He has a lot of money, but it is more than money to him. He has accomplished a lot of things playing wise at the University of Miami and the NFL, but now this is one of the accomplishments that he wanted to have on his resume. I know his mom will be very proud of him because she is very supportive.”
 7 years ago '04        #7214
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Reid Continuing to Learn Defense; Discusses Baseball Possibility
Mar. 10, 2010

Jamal Reid.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Redshirt freshman safety Jamal Reid is busy trying to learn the defense this spring.

Reid is one of three safeties participating in spring practices this year with Vaughn Telemaque and Ray Ray Armstrong as the other two after Jared Campbell went down with an injury.

"It's going pretty good," Reid said. "I'm flying around, trying to chase balls and make plays and learn the plays, the formations, and my a.ssignments."

Because of Reid's slender frame--6-foot-1 and 185 pounds after gaining 13 pounds since his arrival--many expect Reid to be a cornerback in the future.

However, Reid is not playing any cornerback during the spring despite the thin numbers at the position and he is focused at safety.

"As of right now, I think I'm going to be a safety," Reid said. "I'm not playing any cornerback."

Despite not playing cornerback, the former Under Armour All-American does work on his corner skills.

"I work on my footwork, my jam skills, and cover one-on-one skills just in case I did have to go down and play a receiver," Reid said.

During Tuesday's practice, Reid recovered a fumble. He's still looking for his first pick of the spring, which he nearly had in Saturday's scrimmage.

"I had a couple opportunities, but I missed it unfortunately. I'm just trying to get that back," Reid said.

Last season Reid was relegated to scout team duties as he redshirted. He has high goals for himself in 2010.

"This year, I'd just like to get a little stronger and help my team win a championship," Reid said. "I'm trying to better myself so my team can depend on me in key situations. I want to make the secondary one of the best in the nation and help any way I can."

UM Baseball Possibility

During the fall, Reid said he planned on trying out for the UM baseball team, an opportunity he was promised during the recruiting process according to UM baseball coach Jim Morris.

However, Reid did not get an opportunity to do so.

"I don't really know what happened to it," Reid said. "They told me Coach Shannon might let me play after this spring, but I'm not really sure. I'm probably not going to play this year. I'm probably going to try out next year because this spring I'm trying to learn the defense so next year when I'm comfortable with the system, I might try to play next year."

Reid bats and throws righthanded and played all three outfield positions at Mayo Lafayette where he batted .310 with three home runs while leading the team in RBI’s and stolen bases during his senior year.

Spring practices conclude with the spring game on March 27 and Reid would still like to play baseball if possible.

"It's up to the (football) coaches. If they let me, I'd do it," Reid said.
 7 years ago '04        #7215
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
LB Cornelius Adjusting To Speed Of College Football
Mar. 10, 2010

Tyrone Cornelius
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Early enrollee freshman Tyrone Cornelius is adjusting to football at the college level as fast as he can.

Cornelius (6-2, 195) admits that he was somewhat overwhelmed by the speed of the game when spring practice first began at Miami, but now he is adjusting to that challenge.

“I have adjusted pretty well,” Cornelius said. “At first the speed was definitely a big difference, but I have caught onto things real quick with my speed and athleticism. I just play like it is high school now.”

Now that Cornelius says he has adjusted to the speed of the college game, he wants to work on getting off blocks when in run support.

“I probably need to work on getting my hands off blocks,” Cornelius said.

Cornelius is currently working with the second team defense at weakside linebacker. He discussed which running backs have been the most difficult to cover in the passing game out of the backfield.

“Having to cover the out routes with guys like Mike James and Storm is tough. Both of them are good running backs in the open field,” Cornelius said.

Cornelius recognizes that enrolling early at Miami for his freshman year has helped accelerate his learning curve and now he believes he can crack the linebacker rotation this season.

“It has helped a lot,” Cornelius said. “I think if I came in later I would have been pressed for time to try to gain all the knowledge that I need to know to play. It has made me a whole lot better though with getting acclimated to the speed of the game.”

“I strongly believe I will crack the rotation. Right now I am on the second team and as the days go I am getting better acclimated with all the formations and what the defense calls for.”

Former Hurricane linebackers Jon Beason and Darryl Sharpton have talked to Cornelius recently and the new Cane says he took a lot from their words of wisdom.

“Darryl has talked to me because we knew each other from the visits I took to Miami. Jon Beason was out at practice not long ago too and he just told us to pick it up and that the linebackers are the leaders of the defense and we carry a lot of momentum for the game.”

By the beginning of next season Cornelius wants to get his weight up to 210 pounds. Before spring practices began he was tested in the 40 and he claims a time of 4.5.

“I thought I could have run it better because it was a fresh 40 time, but still I guess it is an impressive 40 time,” Cornelius said.

One class of 2010 linebacker recruit Cornelius keeps in touch with is Travis Williams from Norfolk, Virginia. Cornelius says he tells Williams what to expect when he gets to Miami on and off the field.

“Me and Travis Williams talk every now and then,” Cornelius said. “I just ask how he is doing up there in Virginia and I tell him about how practices are going down here and how it is a big difference from high school.”
 7 years ago '04        #7216
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
About Us • Contact

Expectations Raised For WR Group
Mar. 10, 2010

LaRon Byrd
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The wide receiver group on the 2010 is the deepest and most productive position unit for this upcoming season.

And with the majority of the receivers entering their third year at Miami the expectations have been raised this spring.

Miami is very deep at the receiver position. The Hurricanes return senior Leonard Hankerson, who is coming off a career year in which he caught 45 passes for 801 yards and six touchdowns.

UM also returns four receivers going into their third year this season in LaRon Byrd, Travis Benjamin, and Thearon Collier, Aldarius Johnson, who had at least 250 receiving yards last season.

The question is: which second year receiver will make that jump in 2010?

“They have to take that next step and separate from each other,” coach Randy Shannon said of the receiver group. “They have to always have great practices because great players always have that mentality. Good players have the mentality of ok I am satisfied. I think they have the ability to have greatness in them and they have to get it done.”

Byrd is the receiver who has impressed early in spring practices. In 2009 Byrd finished with 33 receptions for 460 yards and one touchdown. Coach Shannon said he was impressed with the way Byrd started the first week of spring practices.

“He had a good week, made a lot of plays, and improved from last year,” Shannon said.

Junior Travis Benjamin is the speediest receiver on the UM roster and finished the 2009 season second in receiving yards with 501 yards on 29 receptions with four touchdowns. Benjamin has always been a deep threat for Miami throughout his UM career and now to take that next step in his development he needs to improve his route running.

“He has dynamic speed and he is a big play guy,” wide receiver coach Aubrey Hill said of Benjamin. “He is a really good kid too. He is one of those kids who is the first one in the meeting room and has an open notebook taking copious notes. He is one of the last ones to leave also.”

“The one thing that we have always said is that we want to see he is a disciplined route runner, but sometimes when you are so fast those things don’t go hand in hand. That is the one thing that he is improving on. It is not that he is a bad route runner now, we just want him to get better.”

Aldarius Johnson had a tough 2009 season which was plagued by nagging injuries and forced him to miss three games, but he still managed to catch 16 passes for 276 yards and one touchdown. This spring Johnson says he feels like he is in better shape than he was last season.

“I lost five pounds [since the season ended], so I feel better than I did last year,” Johnson said. “My body can hold the weight that I am at now, so I feel better than I did last year. I feel quicker.”

Of all the receivers on UM’s roster, Johnson probably has the best connection with Jacory Harris due to their playing days at Northwestern High School.

Thearon Collier was his usual reliable self in 2009 in which he caught 18 passes for 250 yards and one touchdown. Collier is a very good slot receiver who excels at picking up crucial first downs and has the ability to make defenders miss in the open field.

“I think he plays a lot bigger than his size,” coach Aubrey Hill said. “When you see him on the field you can see that he really makes some plays.”

To gain a better grasp of the offensive scheme and to give Miami more versatility, the UM receivers are playing multiple receiver positions this spring. For instance receivers like Aldarius Johnson and Leonard Hankersonw, who play on the outside, have been working out of the slot in some situations this spring.

“In our offense we teach each play and each position,” Hill said. “For example if you are in the meeting room and you are listening to the X-receiver and that pertains to you and then we talk about the Z-receiver and that is someone else, I think you need to still be listening so you have an understanding of it. If you just know you have a go-route and then you don’t know what is going on from the other side of the field, then I don’t think you understand the offensive scheme. We try to learn the offensive scheme. We also want guys want to be able to move around because it makes them more versatile if somebody gets hurt.”
 7 years ago '04        #7217
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 586 586
Thanks, i can't wait to see Reid play.
 7 years ago '04        #7218
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,792 | Props total: 1397 1397
im f**king drunk..but im excited as s**t..ready for some football
 7 years ago '05        #7219
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 C.R.I.P. said:
im f**king drunk..but im excited as s**t..ready for some football
me 2 cept i just got home and its 5am
 7 years ago '06        #7220
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
GRRRRR RUFFF RUFFF GRRRRR RUFFFFFF RUFFFF

lets get it
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
81 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
6 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
176 comments
1 day ago