Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #7161
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
These ballyhooed UM receivers speak of wanting to be the nation's best. And the competition has ratcheted up this spring, with Tommy Streeter and Kendal Thompkins pushing to join a rotation that lost no one and might have room for five regulars among nine receivers.

UM expects returning starter Leonard Hankerson to improve on his 45-catch breakout season, and LaRon Byrd (nine starts in '09) could start alongside, with Travis Benjamin, Aldarius Johnson and Streeter in the mix and Thompkins battling incumbent Thearon Collier for the slot role. Long shots: Davon Johnson and early enrollee Allen Hurns. Among the intriguing story lines this spring:

• Can Aldarius Johnson rebound from last year's falloff? Though his yards per catch increased (from 10.7 as a freshman to 17.2 as a sophomore), his receptions dropped from 31 to 16. But receivers coach Aubrey Hill said, ``Remember, he tore his groin in the Florida State game and missed two games. In the FAMU game, he popped out his shoulder and missed a game. So before we go write off Aldarius Johnson, he's a really good player. I think of his catch on 4th-and-16 versus Wake Forest.''

Johnson said he's ``lighter and quicker'' and is determined to return to his freshman form. Ex-UM great Andre Johnson, a friend, told him ``to just worry about this season'' and not bemoan 2009.

• Will Streeter make a splash? Expect him to be a factor next season, Hill said. He redshirted in 2008 (wrist injury) and had few chances in 2009, but caught a 47-yarder in the Champs Sports Bowl because offensive coordinator Mark Whipple knew he could beat Wisconsin deep. ``He was behind last year because those other guys played [in 2008],'' Hill said. ``You're talking about a guy who's 6-5, as fast and talented as any receiver we have, really good hands. We're trying to get him to put it all together.''

Streeter said he ``felt uncomfortable'' in '09 but now reads defenses better: ``I can bring a lot to this offense. The coaches know that.'' He said every receiver has a skill better than the others, and his is deep balls. Benjamin has electric speed, but Streeter ``can keep up with him,'' quarterback Jacory Harris said.

• Will Byrd take a Hankerson-type leap and become elite? Randy Shannon singled out Byrd as a standout last week. Byrd (33 catches, 460 yards in '09) is very good, but UM believes he can be special; the Colts' Reggie Wayne said he has more skills than ex-Giants star Plaxico Burress. ``I want people to list my name with the top receivers that played here,'' Byrd said. ``I want criticism. I tell coaches to find my flaws. My grandmother and mother told me I had to improve a lot. I've lost baby fat; I'm more explosive.''

• Can Thompkins get on the field more? UM wanted to move him to defensive back, but he persuaded Shannon to allow him to stay at receiver. ``He's good enough to be our slot receiver,'' Hill said. Though Collier is tough to beat out, Thompkins has drawn raves. ``He's so quick off the line, by the time he takes his first step, he's already gone,'' cornerback Brandon McGee said.
 7 years ago '04        #7162
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 7 years ago '04        #7163
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Spring Practice Report #6
Mar. 3, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Stength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey with former Hurricane Frank Gore, now with the San Francisco 49ers.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes held their sixth practice of the spring Wednesday afternoon.

The team practiced in full pads for the third time this spring.

Miami will hold 15 practices this spring including the annual spring game on March 27.

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of practice including who had a good day today for the Hurricanes.

Click here to view photos.

NOTABLES IN ATTENDANCE

Former Hurricanes were at practice including San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore, Jimmy Graham, Glenn Cook, and Tervaris Johnson.

A number of top high school players were also in attendance including 2010 signees Eduardo Clements, Brandon Linder, and Jermaine Barton as well as 2011 recruit Jeremy Cash in addition to multiple players from the Hialeah team.

NEWS & NOTES

• The team's primary focus of today's practice was the running game, in which the team practiced full speed. It was a physical practice in which the receivers were not part of this drill, which featured 12-15 plays. "We were just seeing who could line up and knock some guys off the football and who could tackle," coach Randy Shannon said. The team finished with a third-down drill, about 12 plays. This was also done in full speed as the team prepares for the 140-play scrimmage on Saturday.

• Shannon said he is more comfortable this year than in the past because of the depth they have on the team. He also said he has talked to a number of former players about their time at UM including a recent conversation with Michael Irvin, and they consistently talk about how much improvement they made in year three--which the team has a number of key third-year players.

• Shannon noted that WR LaRon Byrd continued to make plays in practice after challenging him at the end of the week for a good first week to see if he would follow it up or drop off. It's great to see Byrd continue to make plays.

• While Byrd was the top offensive player during the first week of practice, Shannon said DL Allen Bailey was the most impressive defensive player.

• S Vaughn Telemaque is starting to show good signs of making plays on the ball, something he did not do a lot of last season despite being a guy that was active against the pass in high school. "He's doing a lot better now than he was last season as this time," Shannon said. "He's starting to make a lot of plays and we're real excited about the way he is producing right now."

• OL Malcolm Bunche played tackle before at Milford Academy and at Newark (Del.) High, but is currently the team's second-team right guard. Bunche compares guard to being "in a phone booth" and just having to worry about getting his feet set. Shannon said Bunche is doing "ok", but expects he will pick up on the offense and college ball better mid-way through spring practices as he's still adjusting. Shannon said Bunche is too heavy right now as he's weighing 340-350.

• LB Sean Spence is having a very good start to spring ball according to Shannon, who attributes Spence's lack of production in 2009 due to injuries. Spence said he's up to 217 pounds and feels good about that weight. Spence said he has been impressed with freshman LB Tyrone Cornileus.

• CB DeMarcus Van Dyke had another interception today, which is always a good sign considering he has just one pick in 37 career games.

• OL Orlando Franklin did not practice due to unspecified reasons.

• CB Brandon McGee did not practice for the second straight day. It was reported that he had a toothache on Tuesday.
 7 years ago '04        #7164
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Miller Makes Impact on First Spring Practice
Mar. 3, 2010

Lamar Miller.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Lamar Miller had an impressive first day of spring practice.

The redshirt freshman running back reeled off two touchdown runs of over 50 yards on Tuesday after missing the first four practices due to participating on the track team.

"It was a good first day because I haven't practiced in pads in so long," Miller said. "I felt good about it."

His teammates were excited to see Miller in action.

“It is exciting,” said defensive end Dyron Dye. “I couldn’t wait to see him get on the field because the things that he can do, I have never seen a running back do. It is very exciting to go against him. It is crazy and I am excited to see him run this year.”

Miller is looking to make his mark this spring and add his name to the mix for playing time at running back along with Damien Berry, Mike James, and Storm Johnson.

"I just want to show what I got and just help my team out," Miller said.

Miller, 5-11, 205, has changed his number to 6 from 27 last season, and is hoping to make a big impact on the team this year after playing on the scout team.

He says he improved the most on his pass protection and reading the defense better.

"In high school we really didn't do that much pass protection because we just ran the ball," he said.

Miller was the top-ranked prospect in Miami-Dade County during his senior season in 2009 while rushing for over 1,700 yards at k!llian. He has plenty of fans pulling for him to succeed and get his opportunity to star on the field.

"I don't pay attention (to the attention), I just try to stay focused and get on the field," Miller said.

Miller competed in the ACC Indoor Track Championships in Blacksburg, Va. on Saturday where he finished sixth in the 60-meter dash with a 6.84 in the finals.

"I did pretty good," Miller said. "Track helps me a lot with my speed and competing against other fast people, which makes you faster."
 7 years ago '04        #7165
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DE Dye Bigger, Ready To Contribute
Mar. 3, 2010

By: David Lake

Dyron Dye
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- After missing the 2009 season with a leg injury, defensive end Dyron Dye is ready to make an impact at the University of Miami.

Dye (6-5, 250) arrived at UM this past summer as one of the most highly touted recruits in the class of 2009.

He admits he expected to come in as a true freshman and get on the field much like his high school teammate Ray Ray Armstrong did last year, but because of the injury he had to put those plans on hold.

“It hurt real bad,” Dye said of having to watch UM games from the sidelines last year because of the injury. “I hate standing on the sidelines just watching. I was aggravated because it hurt so bad, but it is all good. I am getting better and my main thing now is getting healthy.”

“I talked to my mom and dad about it a lot and I prayed every night and I got through it.”

When spring football started, Dye couldn’t wait to get on the field.

“I was very excited,” Dye said of the first day of spring football last week.

While he wasn’t healthy enough to get on the football field during the 2009 season, Dye made sure to put the weight on his frame that he needed to gain, putting on 20 pounds since he arrived at UM. Now Dye says he hasn’t felt any bad affects of putting on the weight.

“With the way that I put it on, I didn’t put it on and feel heavy,” Dye said. “I put it on and I felt pretty good. I am still moving the same.”

“He is bigger, but with his size and his strength he just has to get accustomed to running around again,” coach Randy Shannon said. “We expect a lot out of him. He plays with a lot of intensity and he brings a lot to the table.”

With Dye in the thick of a talented and deep defensive end position, he says his goal is to work his way up the depth chart.

Dye is a part of a defensive end rotation that includes seniors Allen Bailey and Steven Wesley, juniors Adewale Ojomo, Andrew Smith, and Marcus Robinson, and sophomore Olivier Vernon.

He knows he will have to work his way up.

“Right now I am trying to work to get a spot and compete so that I can get better and help the team out the best way that I can. We are all going to get better by competing.”

For now Dye says he is working at both defensive end spots.

With his play through the first week of spring football, Dye has certainly got the attention of his teammates.

“He has a good motor,” cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke said. “He reminds me of a younger Adewale Ojomo. He is a tough minded kid with a good motor.”

One player who has Dye excited this spring is fellow redshirt freshman Lamar Miller, who in his first practice for the Hurricanes on Tuesday broke two touchdown runs of over 50 yards.

“It is exciting,” Dye said of watching Miller run the ball. “I couldn’t wait to see him get on the field because the things that he can do, I have never seen a running back do. It is very exciting to go against him. It is crazy and I am excited to see him run this year.”
 7 years ago '04        #7166
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Van Dyke: Secondary's Goal To Get INTs
Mar. 3, 2010

DeMarcus Van Dyke
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- With Miami’s secondary coming up with just five interceptions in the 2009 season, coming up with turnovers has been a big emphasis for the UM defensive backs this spring.

Through the first week of spring practices, senior cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke has led the charge in getting interceptions for the Hurricanes defense.

In UM’s first practice in pads on Saturday, Van Dyke came up with an interception during red-zone drills and then on Tuesday he followed that practice up by making another pick.

“Every week we are trying to do something better,” Van Dyke said. “In the defensive meetings with coach Lovett we just talk about each week raising our games and getting in the playbook. We try to get interceptions every day so that when game time comes and we get the ball in our hands we feel ok with it.”

“Our team goal is to get more turnovers so that we can give the offense more possessions. If we give the offense a lot of possessions, then we can score a lot of points.”

Van Dyke made the first interception of his UM career during the 2009 season against Wake Forest. Now he says he wants to improve that mark in 2010.

“That interception go the monkey off my back,” Van Dyke said. “Now I want to improve my turnover ratio. I want to get more interceptions to help my team.”

Van Dyke says he believes the 2010 secondary will be better because of the experience he and fellow cornerback Brandon Harris now bring to the position.

“The maturity level will be better,” Van Dyke said. “Brandon McGee got his feet wet last year and now I expect him to come in and make plays as a sophomore.”

One area Van Dyke has made big strides in is his open field tackling. Van Dyke finished the 2009 season with 30 total tackles and two tackles for loss, which equaled his total tackles from his first two season at UM in 10 starts.

“I have improved my tackling a lot,” Van Dyke said. “My first two years I wasn’t good at tackling, so I have worked with coach McGriff on that, so now I feel like my tackling ability is up to my coverage skills. I made a bit of an improvement. I just have to keep building on last year.”

Van Dyke says his confidence is as high as it has ever been going into this season because he knows he faces the best receivers he will see every day in practice.

“My confidence is real high because I am going up against guys like Aldarius Johnson, LaRon Byrd, Leonard Hankerson, and Kendal Thompkins,” Van Dyke said. “Those guys are great receivers and if I can cover those guys then I can cover anyone in the ACC. Going against those guys raise my confidence.”

Former UM star and current All-Pro safety Ed Reed was at the Hurricanes’ practice Tuesday and Van Dyke got coached up by the future Hall of Famer.

“We were doing individual drills today and Ed Reed pulled me aside and told me to take my angles better and that I am coming too flat,” van Dyke said. “He helps a lot just being out here and giving me tips.”
 7 years ago '06        #7167
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
<------------------------

lets get it
 7 years ago '05        #7168
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,654 | Props total: 3750 3750
Lamar Miller got them t-mac eyes :lmfaooooo:
 7 years ago '05        #7169
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,654 | Props total: 3750 3750
 P. Dedos said:
ohhh no!!! please help me!!! goddungit!!! awwww man :cry:

B WASH hurt his MCL

:cry: k!ll ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
lol @ n*ggaz gettin nicknames when nobody knows who they are

BWash? he aint got that G5 swag....yeah you know who im talkin bout....he s**t all over you by hisself last year
 7 years ago '04        #7170
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 Junior G said:
lol @ n*ggaz gettin nicknames when nobody knows who they are

BWash? he aint got that G5 swag....yeah you know who im talkin bout....he s**t all over you by hisself last year
Who the f**k is G5 ??

n*gga quit bringing up nickname from your junior varsity team daw go back to the hole you came from.
 7 years ago '05        #7171
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
wed. practice notes

Practice Notes

- Shannon wanted to focus on running the football today, so the team did a lot of running plays in practice. He wanted to see the O-Linemen and the run blocking.

- Frank Gore was in attendance today (Ed Reed yesterday), also Brandon Linder, E. Clements, J. Barton and 2011 recruit Jeremy Cash was in attendance today. Along with J. Graham, T. Johnson and Glenn Cook.

- Shannon said that L. Byrd is still balling and looking good this week at practice.

- Said that Allen Bailey is looking like the best player on defense since practice started.

- Said that Sean Spence is really having a good Spring so far on the defense and that he think that his production went down last season because he played injured.

- Spence said that he is now at 217lbs.

- Shannon said that Vaughn Telemaque is starting to show what they saw from him when they recruited him from out of high school. Telemaque is looking good this Spring and making a lot of plays on the ball. Coaches are excited about him (I am too, I see some special about this kid).

- Said that Malcom Bunce is doing well at Right Guard, but he is still getting adjusted. Said that Bunche needs to loose a little weight (he is at aroung 245).

- Brandon McGee did not practice again today. I hope I'm wrong but I just have a negative feeling about his commitment level (I want to be wrong about this one).

- DVD had another interception in practice today (I think that is his 3rd or 4th.). Could it be that the extra help he got from former Cane Mike Rumph will show in his game this year. By the way Brandon McGee should have been right there with DVD getting some extra work in with Rumph also.

- Shannon said he talked to former UM players to confirm what he thinks the 3rd year of a players game means. The players talked about that 3 year jump, when guys really start to come into their own.
Reply | Quote
 7 years ago '04        #7172
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Spence: Sophomore Year Made Me Hungrier
Mar. 4, 2010

Sean Spence
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Junior linebacker Sean Spence isn’t shy about his thoughts on his performance last season.

Spence (6-0, 217) battled through injuries during his second season at UM, playing in 10 games and finishing with 36 tackles and 6.5 tackles for loss.

His numbers went down from his stellar freshman year in which he totaled 65 tackles and 9.5 tackles for loss.

Spence looks at his sophomore year as disappointing.

“It was not what I wanted it to be,” Spence said of his sophomore season. “I wanted to come out and help the team win games and obviously I didn’t do that. I got set back and now I am just trying to bounce back.”

“With the way last year went, that just made me hungrier and made me want it more.”

Spence admits dealing with the injury was mentally tough on him last year, but he did his best to f!ght through it and play with the pain.

“I never got hurt in high school, optimist, or anything,” Spence said. “That was a first experience for me and it was tough but I fought through. It was frustrating being home and not playing and watching my team. It just hurt me a lot.”

“I was nicked up, but I was trying to f!ght through for my team.”

With Spence now entering his third season at Miami, he is looking to take more of a leadership role with the Miami defense.

“I expect a lot of leadership and being able to keep my composure on the field and keep my defense together,” Spence said. “I just want to be a natural leader.”

Spence says he is playing strong-side linebacker this spring and that he feels comfortable at that position.

“I have played back and forth between SAM and WILL, so it is not a big deal to me,” Spence said of playing strong-side linebacker.

One player Spence has to battle every day in practice is tight end Richard Gordon. Spence says he has seen improvement from Gordon this spring.

“He is a load,” Gordon said. “He is catching a lot of balls and he is physical and catching the ball and getting up-field has been a big part of his game right now.”

With defensive coordinator John Lovett back for his second season at UM, that helps the defense have continuity between the players and get comfortable with the scheme. Spence believes that should help the defense force more turnovers in 2010.

“We are doing pretty good,” Spence said. “We have the same coordinator that we had last year and we are just building on what we did last year and we are trying to focus on finishing every play and create turnovers.”

After the season ended, Spence hit the weight room hard and he says he has gained some muscle mass and has gotten his weight up to 217 pounds.

“I have put on some more weight,” Spence said. “I am up to 217 pounds. I feel real good at that weight. Coach Swasey does a great job with us in the weight room and getting us right. I feel like I am a little bit quicker with my reads and reading the offensive backfield.”

One of Spence’s closest friends on the team is defensive tackle Marcus Forston. Spence says Forston can’t wait to get back to full strength after having his 2009 season cut short by a shoulder injury.

“He is doing good,” Spence said. “He is my roommate and we talk all the time and he can’t wait to get on the field. He is rehabbing four hours a day and trying to get back.”
 7 years ago '04        #7173
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
FB Hill Brings Toughness to Offense
Mar. 4, 2010

Pat Hill
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Senior fullback Pat Hill is the type of player you don’t appreciate until he is gone.

Hill (5-9, 255) is Miami’s best blocking fullback with his compact body packing a powerful punch. His playing style brings a toughness to the offense.

That toughness was missing after Hill went down with an ankle injury during the Virginia Tech game and he was done for the year.

“If you look at the stats in the first three games in the running game and looking at them towards the end,” coach Randy Shannon said. “You can look at the sack totals too. Pat played a vital role in the success with his blocking and his protection. All Pat wants to do is get on the football field and win games. When you have a fullback like him that makes your team tougher.”

Hill says once the injury occurred and he knew he was done for the year, he knew he was going to come back to UM for another season and didn’t consider training for the NFL.

“Last year was tough for me especially with me being so close to the senior class and I knew I had to prepare to be back for next season after expecting to be gone, so it was real tough to have to sit out. I knew once I got hurt I was going to come back. I thought it was smarter to take a redshirt than to force things and come back a little hurt during the season.”

Hill though says he looks at his injury as a kind of blessing in disguise.

“I think everything happens for a reason,” Hill said. “I am a big religious guy and I talked to my mom and she said the biggest thing is the Lord gives you signs and he does everything for a reason. He is telling me that I need to perfect certain things in my game that weren’t as strong that could be better.”

Stepping in for Hill while he was injured was freshman tailback Mike James. Hill says he schooled James as much as he could during meetings.

“He did an excellent job transitioning from running back to fullback,” Hill said. “He did a great job of taking one for the team and stepping in there. When you are preparing with a certain unit you get used to that and when you have a curveball thrown in there, you have to change everything and go on the fly. I think they did a good job with that.”

While Hill was out with the injury, he says he worked on improving his flexibility and quickness out of his stance.

“I am better as far as cardio and flexibility,” Hill said. “I could get a lot quicker and hit better out of my stance and try to be a bigger threat in the offense as far as getting more catches and more runs.

With Hill back for another season, he says he has taken on more of a vocal leadership role.

“I am being more of a vocal leader,” Hill said. “I think we can be real good and provide the leadership and that give that drive that we need to have.”

Hill, who did not receive a carry last season, joked that he wouldn’t mind getting a few touches this season.

“I hope I get a little reward. I wouldn’t mind getting the ball here and there,” Hill said with a smile.
 7 years ago '05        #7174
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space

[video - click to view]

:cool-smiley-009:
 7 years ago '06        #7175
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
- Frank Gore was in attendance today (Ed Reed yesterday), also Brandon Linder, E. Clements, J. Barton and 2011 recruit Jeremy Cash was in attendance today. Along with J. Graham, T. Johnson and Glenn Cook.

wasnt junior gay in here talking about he commited to the suckeyes?

7 years ago '05        #7176
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Spence eager to put 2009 behind him
If he wanted to reach for them, Sean Spence has plenty of viable excuses for his drop in production last season.

He could blame the knee injury that cost him three games and slowed him down. He could point to his position switch -- from weakside linebacker to strongside linebacker -- as the reason why he didn't come close to matching the 65 tackles he made as a freshman when he was the ACC's Defensive Rookie of the Year.

But the 6-foot, 217-pound junior-to-be isn't doing any finger pointing for his unspectacular sophomore season -- except at himself. "I have to go out there, make plays and help my team win. I didn't do that," Spence said Wednesday after the Hurricanes' sixth practice of the spring.

"I can't say it was a lack of maturity. I can't say it was my knee. All I can say was it was a lack of production. Last season just made me hungrier to want it even more this year."

Spence, who finished his sophomore season seventh on the team with 36 tackles including 6.5 for loss and three sacks, is already impressing his teammates this spring with his bounce-back attitude. Cornerback Brandon Harris said Spence, a childhood friend, "looks fast, looks physical."

"He's going in there, head on head with the offensive lineman, shedding blocks, making plays," Harris said. "He's a great motivator for the defense. He's a guy who is going to speak up when something needs to be spoken, keep everybody humble.

"I think it affected us tremendously [when he went out]. His presence on the field, it gives everybody a comfort level and a high and allows us to play faster and smoother. He makes sure everybody is on the right page. When you have somebody like Sean on your defense, you know automatically you can count on him to make a big play. When you got a guy like that on the field, the rest of our jobs are easy."

Spence started the first seven games of the season for the Hurricanes before injuring his knee in the first half against Clemson. He then missed the next three games, including arguably the team's worst defensive performance of the season against Wake Forest and the loss at North Carolina. He said he "didn't really feel right" until the bowl game. Missing time was tough to deal with mentally for Spence -- especially since he didn't many any games in high school and played in all 13 games and started nine for UM as a freshman.

"Me and Sean are close friends and during that injury time he wasn't himself," Harris said. "It was hard for him to sit out and not be able to travel with the team and having to watch the games on TV and he'll call me after the games and was very disappointed he couldn't be out there. He did extra rehab, everything to make that injury process happen faster. But he sat out for a reason."

Spence, who said he's gained five pounds of muscle since the end of the season, has remained at strongside linebacker this spring with senior Colin McCarthy on the weakside. With so many young and inexperienced linebackers on the team, Spence said he's tried to take on more of a vocal leadership role on the field and in the film room at the urging of new linebackers coach Micheal Barrow.

"It's a new season, new year," UM coach Randy Shannon said. "and he's starting off fast right now in spring football."

A FEW MORE TIDBITS... > Trying to earn a kicking job on a team with Matt Bosher isn't easy. The All-ACC First Team kicker and second team punter handled all three facets last season for the Hurricanes including kickoffs. But redshirt sophomore Jake Wieclaw, who temporarily handled kickoffs before losing the job to walk-on Alex Uribe and then Bosher, is hoping he can finally win one of those three jobs come the fall.

With Bosher out this spring (he reportedly injured his shoulder in a car accident), Wieclaw is being given every chance by Shannon to impress this spring. So far, Wieclaw says, all the special teams work has been centered on blocking. But he'll get a few chances to kick in pressure situations Saturday.

"I've always felt pretty comfortable inside of 40 [yards], Anything outside of 40 for a kicker isn't easy, but you should be making those," said Wieclaw, who feels his best shot at earning a job could be on kickoffs. "If [Bosher] does all three, then he does all three. If they need my help anywhere then I'll see what I can do to help out."

> It took cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke 33 college games before he intercepted his first past last season against Wake Forest. That's the only pick he has in three years. But so far through his first two practices in the spring, he's made interceptions on both days. Tuesday, Van Dyke said he got some tutoring from Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed about taking better angles.

If Reed, 31, decides to retire, the Hurricanes might want to ask him to become a volunteer a.ssistant. His senior year at UM in 2001, he had nine interceptions. Last season, UM had nine as a team (five more than in 2008).
 7 years ago '04        #7177
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Spring Practice Report #7
Mar. 5, 2010

Leonard Hankerson
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes held their seventh practice of the spring Friday afternoon.

The team practiced in full pads for the fourth time this spring.

Miami will hold 15 practices this spring including the annual spring game on March 27.

UM will hold their first scrimmage of the spring on Saturday. The scrimmage will be a test of toughness for the Hurricanes as it is expected to be 130 plays.

“It is going to be a tough physical scrimmage because we need it,” Shannon said. “We have the bodies to do it and you want to see who can do something. By the third scrimmage we will see who has improved and who we can depend on and then when August come you will want to see who improves even more.”

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of practice including who had a good day today for the Hurricanes.

Click here to view photos.

NOTABLES IN ATTENDANCE

2010 Glenville safety Latwan Anderson was at today’s practice along with UM signee Eduardo Clements. The coaches clinic was held today with various coaches from around South Florida in attendance. A large number of players from Northeast High School in Broward County were in attendance along with highly touted DL Bryant Dubose.

NEWS & NOTES

• S Jared Campbell was wearing a leg brace and was on crutches at practice today. “He is out right now and he is a little nicked up in practice,” coach Randy Shannon said.

• OL Orlando Franklin has not participated in the last couple of practices and he did not dress Friday. Shannon said the Franklin injury is not serious. “He could wake up tomorrow and say I am feeling great,” Shannon said. “That is why I don’t every say he will be back or not unless they go out for surgery.”

• WR Aldarius Johnson also did not practice today.

• WR Leonard Hankerson had two touchdowns during 11-on-11 drills today--one pass being a five-yard touchdown and the second touchdown being a deep ball.

• CB DeMarcus Van Dyke kept up his strong play this spring on Friday with a fumble recovery. Van Dyke has three interceptions this spring during scrimmage situations.

• Coach Shannon has been promoting the importance of creating turnovers on offense and limiting turnovers on defense by having the players run gassers on how their units perform. “What we do is we are trying to keep the importance of forcing turnovers and protecting the football,” Shannon said. “So automatically if the defense does not create a turnover, they get three gassers after practice. Every time the offense has a turnover, they have to do a gasser. If offense throws a ball and the defense drops the interception, that is a missed opportunity and that is a gasser. That is to emphasize protecting the football and getting turnovers on defense.”

“If you look at last year we weren’t getting turnovers, so you are always evaluating and trying to get something going.”

• Shannon on if he would like to see the cornerbacks take more chances in going for interceptions this season. “Whenever it is called for,” Shannon said. “It is not chances. When you get an opportunity to get an interception, then you go for it. You don’t ever want to say bat a ball down. You want the interception because they make a difference and change the game around.”

• According to coach Shannon, Kylan Robinson and Shayon Green are working the most at middle linebacker this spring and if the season had to start today, Robinson would get the nod over Green. “If today was the start, you would go with Kylan Robinson, but we have time so we will sit back and wait,” Shannon said.

• LB C.J. Holton is up to 230 pounds from 212 pounds that he played at last season. Holton says he feels good with the added weight and still has the same explosion when he plays that he has always had.

• Friday was the first day of the coaching clinic held by Miami. “We started off with Curtis Johnson at 10:45 this morning and Mickey Andrews came down and spoke and then we had practice and they watched practice and watched drill work and they go in the gym and we will have our one-on-ones with them because they may want to talk to the strength coach or coach Whipple, or coach Lovett about individual stuff,” Shannon said. “It is a chance to meet new coaches besides always Miami coaches. It is the coaches who get better with these clinics.”
 7 years ago '04        #7178
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
CB Harris Wants To Lead Nation With INTs
Mar. 5, 2010

Brandon Harris
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Brandon Harris had big goals for his junior season at Miami.

Harris is coming off a sophomore season in which he was finished second in the country with 17 passes defended.

Now as a junior, Harris has set the goal to lead the nation in interceptions.

“My goal is whatever it takes to lead the nation in interceptions,” Harris said. “That is one of my goals this year as a group and as an individual.”

Last season Harris finished with two interceptions.

This week Harris returned from running indoor track for the Hurricanes in the 400 meter and finished sixth with a time of 48.11.

Now that Harris is back from track, he says he feels like he is in great shape.

“I feel great,” Harris said. “I am starting to feel back to form and starting to feel even better than I did last year at this point. I have been working with coach McGriff in the secondary and it has been a grind for us this spring because we only have three corners on the roster, but we get a lot of reps and it helps me get back into things faster.”

Now that Harris is entering his third season at Miami, he says his confidence has never been higher.

“My confidence has gone higher every year,” Harris said. “I surprise myself when I am on the field sometimes. When I go back on film and watch some of the plays I make and the secondary makes, I am real excited about the upcoming season.”

Miami is holding their first scrimmage of the spring this Saturday and Harris says he can’t wait to compete against his teammates.

“It is important to compete against each other,” Harris said. “We haven’t played a meaningful game since December, but during this offseason we need to get back to competing with each other and grinding everything out in tough situations. It is as close to a game atmosphere as we can get.”

“We want to get close as a team, through competition. We want to really get after it.”

One player who has impressed Harris with his play this spring is linebacker Sean Spence.

“He looks fast, he is physical, and when you watch him he is going against the line head on head and shedding blocks and making tackles,” Harris said. “He is a great motivator for the defense. He is going to speak when he needs to speak and he keeps the defense humble.”

“You can count on him to make a big play and when you have that kind of player on your team, it makes the rest of our jobs easy.”

One player Harris is looking to see improve this spring is Ray Ray Armstrong. Harris says he would like to see Ray Ray play without thinking too much on the field.

“His main thing is to just play and have fun and don’t think too much and worry too much,” Harris said. “The athletic ability is there and the leadership ability is there. He just needs to go out there and have fun.”
 7 years ago '04        #7179
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Benjamin Feels Better Than Ever
Mar. 5, 2010

Travis Benjamin
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Junior wide receiver Travis Benjamin is working this offseason on becoming a complete receiver.

Benjamin has been a big deep ball threat for the Hurricanes during his first two seasons at UM and now he is working on perfecting his all around game.

One area Benjamin wants to improve in particular is his intermediate route running.

“I feel like I am coming along good with my route running and coming in and out of my breaks,” Benjamin said. “I know that is what I need to do to take that next step.”

“I just want to get better all around. I just need to go out and get better with the offensive group as one.”

Benjamin just started spring practices this week because he was participating in the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships in the 60 meters last weekend. Benjamin finished fourth in the ACC in the event with a 6.74 time.

“I feel like I am way better right now than last year because I got more speed on me and I am running in and out of my routes quicker and catching the ball cleaner,” Benjamin said.

Benjamin caught 29 passes for 501 yards and four touchdowns last season.

Benjamin returned nine punts with a 6.3 average and just one kick return for 18 yards. As a freshman in 2008, Benjamin returned 22 kicks for a 22.5 per return average. Benjamin says he will be happy to do returns in 2010 if his number is called.

“It doesn’t matter because no matter where my number is called from wide receiver to returns, I will do it,” Benjamin said.

With seven receivers from the recruiting class of 2008 now entering their third year at Miami, Benjamin expects a big year from the unit.

“We have big expectations,” Benjamin said. “We all know it is our time to come out because we are juniors and the next year we will be seniors, so we are competing against each other and working hard.”

Benjamin believes there is not a better wide receiver unit in the country than the one Miami has.

“No because we are the only group in the country who can rotate like we do and not lose anything when that guy comes in,” Benjamin said.

This spring the UM offense is being run by backup quarterbacks A.J. Highsmith, Stephen Morris, and Spencer Whipple with Jacory Harris out due to a hand injury. Benjamin says working with the backup quarterbacks has made the wide receivers better.

“It is good for us to work with the backups because we can get used to the different styles,” Benjamin said. “Some quarterbacks throw hard, some throw floaters, and you just have to adjust to it with your routes and when the ball is in the air.”
 7 years ago '04        #7180
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
WR Thompkins Battling for Playing Time
Mar. 5, 2010

Kendal Thompkins.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Kendal Thompkins is hoping a strong spring will lead to more playing time during the season.

Thompkins, a sophomore wide receiver, caught two passes for 33 yards and a touchdown last season in 10 games.

He was seventh in receiving amongst the wide receivers and unfortunately for Thompkins, the six guys ahead of him are all back this season, but he says he’s trying not to worry about the depth chart.

“I try not to really focus on that,” he said. “I’m trying to come out here every
day, competing, doing what I have to do.”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound talented, quick receiver has a goal in mind this spring.

“My goal is to just to come out every day and competing and taking advantage of every opportunity and making every play count,” he said.

Thompkins caught two passes as a freshman in 2008 playing in two games before suffering a season-ending shoulder surgery, which was a disappointment for Thompkins.

But not being involved when healthy and capable of contributing was also very frustrating.

“It was very tough, but as I watched I learned a lot from the sidelines,” he said. “Hopefully it will turn out for the best this year.”

In the off-season, Thompkins was asked by the coaching staff to switch to cornerback, a position he never played in high school. Rumors began to circulate that Thompkins was unhappy with the potential move and would transfer. People around the Northwestern community were not happy with the potential move that eventually did not end up happening.

“I feel like I am a receiver more than I’m a cornerback so I’m happy where I’m at right now,” Thompkins said.

Despite not receiving meaningful playing time, he says he is receiving encouragement from a lot of his teammates to keep working hard including quarterback Jacory Harris.

“Jacory’s been telling me to keep my head up and things like that and not focus on the little things, just look at the big picture. He believes in me,” said Thompkins, who played at Northwestern High School with Harris. “He tells me what I’m doing wrong and what I’m doing right. He’s a leader. He’s a good captain.”

Linebacker Sean Spence, another one of Thompkins’ high school teammates, has also been encouraging him.

“I just tell him to stay focused and your time will come,” Spence said. “God has a plan for everyone and I know he has a plan for you.”

Spence had the opportunity to witness Thompkins’ breakout senior season at Northwestern when he had 46 receptions for 839 yards and a team-high 14 touchdowns.

“He has quickness and getting in and out of his breaks and will leave you standing there,” Spence said. “He’s one step away from getting up field and running away from dudes.”

Despite not being in the mix, Thompkins says he has remained confident in his abilities.

“Confidence is the key,” he said. “That’s why I’m out here every day working on my game and getting confident each and every day.”

Spring practice resumes Friday afternoon.

“I’ve been playing pretty good so far,” Thompkins said. “I think everything has been going good. I have learned a lot and I have matured a lot.”
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy