most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
48 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
87 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #7141
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
University of Miami's Storm Johnson gaining steam
Freshman running back Westleigh Storm Johnson, who everyone calls by his middle name, has Randy Shannon and veterans raving so far during spring practice.

University of Miami running back Storm Johnson. Photo
Related Content
•Blog | Eye on the U
•Chat with other UM fans
By SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

There's little confusion as to what type of weather disturbance University of Miami running back Storm Johnson would say he resembles.

A hurricane, no doubt.

Johnson, 6-0, 218 pounds and only 17 years old, resembled a Category 5 when he knocked a defender on his back Saturday during the first day in full pads at Greentree Field.

``He's really showing his stuff,'' said freshman center Shane McDermott, Johnson's suitemate. ``He laid someone out. He was running the ball and hit someone while he was running. Pretty much just jacked him up -- boom -- right in the chest.

``The other guy fell down and we all got pumped up by that because he's just a freshman.

``The coaches loved it.''

UM coach Randy Shannon said it is still too early to determine just how good his deep stable of running backs can be. But he is looking forward to finding out during upcoming scrimmages.

``Next week, Saturday, when we scrimmage a little, then ask,'' Shannon said. ``They may get bumped, but it's not tackling. [Defenders will] tag off somebody and butt him up and let 'em run so it's not full-speed tackling. But for the most part, are they running the right routes and doing the right things? Yes. The protection stuff? Yes. We haven't put a lot in on defense.''

That's fine with Johnson, one of six early enrollees getting a jump on learning the playbook, thereby giving himself a better opportunity to earn playing time. Ranked by ESPN.com as the nation's 22nd-best recruit and by Rivals.com as the No. 7 running back, Johnson rushed for a Loganville (Ga.) High record of 1,937 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2009. He caught 11 passes for 150 yards and returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.

And this Hurricane is fast. Johnson said he was timed at 4.38 seconds by UM in the 40-yard dash. ``Electrifying,'' Shannon said of Johnson last week. Johnson said his full name is Westleigh Storm Johnson, but everyone calls him by his middle name. ``I guess my mom wanted to name me something special so she picked something unusual.''

Did his name draw him to the Hurricanes? ``Yeah, in some unique way. It fit perfect. A lot of people blew it up.''

Johnson said he chose Miami over Kentucky, Penn State, Oregon and Michigan State because of UM's ``family atmosphere, the coaches and the education part.

``The classes are small and we work hard on the football field. Those are good things for success.''

He described himself as a ``big back -- but I can do little-back things.''

He said he knows 85 to 90 percent of the playbook, but is constantly challenged trying to thoroughly grasp it. ``We've only been through three days of installment and our playbook is huge,'' he said Friday, adding that the playbook and the speed of play are the biggest adjustments from high school. The older Canes are impressed.

``Very explosive kid,'' receiver Leonard Hankerson said.

``Awesome,'' receiver Aldarius Johnson said. ``He brings a lot of energy. He's real fast. Nice kid. When his name gets called he's so excited about his turn and his time to run and block. He makes us feel like we should be on the same page.''
 7 years ago '04        #7142
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 Junior G said:
lmao Jeremy Cash commited to Ohio State....Da U stay losin....enjoy those 2 stars from wyoming
why are you avoiding the syracuse/villanova game thread?
 7 years ago '06        #7143
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,597 | Props total: 12031 12031

Glenville's Anderson says college choices now down to Miami (Fla.) and West Virginia
Bob Fortuna, Plain Dealer Reporter, March 01, 2010 10:27 a.m.

Glenville's Latwan Anderson said Southern California was just too far for his family to see him play. - (Chuck Crow / The Plain Dealer)
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The University of Southern California is off Latwan Anderson's list but Miami (Fla.) and West Virginia are on.

Anderson, Glenville's senior safety, cancelled this weekend's official visit to USC on Thursday at his mother's request.

"My mom [Anita Anderson] told me she doesn't want me going to USC," said Anderson. "She said it's too far from home and we don't have any family in California."

After canceling the USC visit, Anderson called Miami and scheduled an official visit for this weekend.

"I'm disappointed with how the USC thing ended up, but I understand how my mom feels," said Anderson. "We have family in Florida and if I choose Miami, they'll be able to see me play more often than if I was in California."

Anderson doesn't know when he'll make his final decision, but hopes it's soon.

"This is beginning to wear on me and I just want to get this over with," admitted the 5-11, 185-pound Anderson. "It's down to two now -- West Virginia and Miami."

Anderson gave his non-binding oral commitment to West Virginia during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl early January, but did not sign with the Mountaineers on the Feb. 3 national signing day.

In his lone season for Glenville after transferring from St. Edward in 2009, Anderson was the Senate Athletic League Most Valuable Player and a Plain Dealer All-Star who collected 45 tackles, three sacks, broke up five passes and led the area with 11 interceptions.

He's ranked 15th nationally, regardless of position, by Rivals.com.
 7 years ago '04        #7144
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Ray Ray: UM Expects Better
Mar. 1, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Ray Ray Armstrong.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- High expectations continue to surround safety Ray Ray Armstrong.

Armstrong was one of the prize recruits in 2009 and showed flashes of greatness during his freshman year as he finished with 21 tackles and a pass breakup in 10 games, making one start.

He says he learned a valuable piece of information during his first season, which will help him in year number two.

“The biggest thing (I learned) is if you practice well and go hard in practice you will get a lot of playing time,” Armstrong said. “You have to practice better to be able to make it to the game so the biggest thing I learned from my freshman year is just to go hard in practice.”

Armstrong is listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, but says he is currently 215 during spring practices.

“It’s good, I feel like I’m moving around a lot better,” he said.

During spring practices, Armstrong is one of three safeties along with sophomore Vaughn Telemaque (11 starts in 2009) and senior Jared Campbell (6 starts), who are competing for the two starting spots.

“(Starting) has been my goal since my freshman year,” Armstrong said. “It is very competitive. Everybody is trying to compete for that starting spot. We are making each other better.”

Although the Hurricanes made an improvement in 2009 finishing 9-4 and 19th in the final poll, Armstrong feels the team wasn’t where they should be. And

“We are just trying to get better because last year wasn’t good for us,” he said. “So we are going to come back this year and try to correct it.”

As a secondary, Armstrong feels the unit must be improved especially considered the group only accounted for five interceptions.

“As a unit at the University of Miami, it was not good,” Armstrong said. “The University of Miami expects better so next year we are trying to get better. We lost a lot of close games last year.”

Head coach Randy Shannon has been emphasizing to the defense during the spring to create more turnovers. As an incentive, the offense has to run extra if the defense creates turnovers and if not, the defense has to run.

“We are working on it a lot because coach was emphasizing it before spring practices,” Armstrong said. “We are looking not to run.”

Spring practices resume Tuesday afternoon.

“My mindset [this spring] is to get better as a player to help my team get better back on the end and encourage other players on the team,” Armstrong said.
 7 years ago '06        #7145
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
come on down

Wilder still really likes Miami and is UM’s to lose as he is very interested in the scene at Miami in addition to liking UM’s tradition and playing style. Florida has started recruiting him at running back as opposed to linebacker, but he noticed they only started doing that after he made it clear he likes the idea of playing running back at he next level, which is where Miami is recruiting him at. The distance is a factor for his interest in USC and Florida State isn’t appealing to him right now. He’s planning on visiting UM for the spring game on March 27.
:rasta:
 7 years ago '07        #7146
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 465 465
Wilder is a beast

plant has put out some good players lately

im still mad that s**t went down wit marve because it cost us orson charles
 7 years ago '06        #7147
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #7148
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Hankerson Has Big Expectations For WRs
Mar. 2, 2010

By: David Lake

Leonard Hankerson
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Senior wide receiver Leonard Hankerson made a big jump in production from his sophomore to junior year, and now he expects that same jump from his teammates.

As a sophomore Hankerson caught 11 passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns.

His production as a junior in 2009 jumped to 45 receptions for 801 yards and six touchdowns.

Now Hankerson would like to see some of his wide receiver teammates, who are entering their third year this year, make that same jump.

“It is time for everybody to grow up and make more plays and do the little things,” Hankerson said. “Now everybody is a junior and it is time to step up. All those guys should be motivated by themselves and the coaches should have to do less coaching because we all know what to do and what the plays are and what is expected.”

One player who impressed everybody after the first week of practices was junior receiver LaRon Byrd.

“He showed it all this week,” Hankerson said. “He was very explosive and ran good routes. He caught the ball and looked it in and scored some touchdowns. He had a good week.”

Hankerson, one of the hardest working players on the team, says he likes the work ethic and focus he has seen from his teammates through the first week.

“The first week was a good week,” Hankerson said. “We all came out and had fun and competed with each other. Everything is going well from the quarterback to the receivers. We are getting everything more down pat and getting on the same page.”

“It has been physical since practices began. That is one thing I have noticed. We are not bringing any guys down to the ground yet, but we are having some physical practices.”

Over the last offseason, Hankerson worked hard with former Dolphins star Mark Duper to improve his hand-eye coordination and focus when catching the ball. This offseason Hankerson says he plans on using many of the same drills that he learned from Hankerson and that he would like to improve his overall game at receiver.

“I am just working on a little bit of everything now,” Hankerson said. “I am trying to keep improving my hands and keep my concentration up. Just because I feel like I have that down now, I am not going to stop working hard and improving that. I need to keep it going and keep working.”

“I am trying to improve my blocking and running better routes.”

Hankerson and the receivers have had to work with the backup Miami quarterbacks this spring with Jacory Harris being held out with a hand injury.

“It has been going good,” Hankerson said. “They are all making good throws and doing their jobs with making the right reads and getting the ball out to us.”

Hankerson passed on the chance to go early to the NFL because he felt like the 2010 Hurricanes were in a good position to have a successful year. Hankerson said he ultimately came back because he wanted to have a great season for the Hurricanes.

“I just want to keep winning,” Hankerson said. “I want to win every week and keep the offense going.”
 7 years ago '04        #7149
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Wilder Will Attend UM Spring Game
Mar. 2, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

James Wilder,.
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Tampa Plant athlete James Wilder is as good as it gets.

He’s dominating on defense. He may eventually even be better on offense.

Following a filthy season that saw him lead Tampa Plant to the Class 5A state championship and rushing for over 1,000 yards rushing and 19 touchdowns and 18 sacks on defense, Wilder is arguably the top prospect in the state of Florida.

There is no doubt that he’s a highly sought out prospect as he’s regarded as one of the top prospects in the nation by about everyone, but what position is he better at – running back or linebacker?

While even he admits that he feels like he is currently a better player on defense playing linebacker, the University of Miami is recruiting him as a running back, the position he says that he wants to play which bodes well for the ‘Canes.

“I think I am better at linebacker, but I have more passion for running back, but that’s still not decided yet. I have more offers at linebacker than running back, but I haven’t decided yet,” Wilder said of the position he will play in college.

The history at the University of Miami helps the ‘Canes as well. With many running backs have been drafted into the NFL after being star running backs in Coral Gables, Wilder has taken notice of that.

“Yeah, they want me for offense at running back. It’s a good school. I know they get guys to the league especially at running back and that’s what I am trying to do,” Wilder said.

Over the next few weeks Wilder is planning to visit Miami during the ‘Canes Spring practice and also plans on attending the ‘Canes Spring Game.

“Me and coach Weiner are supposed to see how the campus is there this Saturday. We are going to take a visit and see how the school and football surroundings are,” Wilder said. “I am going to be going there for the Spring Game too with our Special Teams coach, coach Dekamp.”

Wilder said the coach he has been talking to is coach Pannunzio. He said he gets along with him and feels that Pannunzio is being straight with him at all times.

“It was coach Hurtt (I was talking to a lot) and coach P. That’s about it. Coach Weiner always connects me with him three-way constantly. We talk at least twice a week. I talk to coach P a lot. He’s real cool. I haven’t met him person. It’s always been through the phone and email, but he is a real cool person, he tells you straight up how it’s going to be when you get there. He doesn’t make up stuff just to get you there,” Wilder said.

Wilder said that he’s never spoken to head coach Randy Shannon though.

“No, just coach P. That’s who I talk to,” Wilder said.

Wilder won’t be making any decision anytime soon though. He said it will be a signing day decision as he wants to be completely sure before committing himself to anyone.

“I think I am going to wait it out to the end. That will be the smartest thing for me to do. There’s no rush for me to do it. I have to make sure it’s something I really want to do, so I think I will wait it out until signing day,” Wilder said.
 7 years ago '04        #7150
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
James Glad to be Back at Tailback
Mar. 2, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Mike James.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Make no mistake about it, Mike James is enjoying being back at tailback.

James was needed at fullback last season when Pat Hill went down with a season-ended injury and James started six games in his absence.

Following the season, James was moved back to tailback.

“It’s wonderful. I love it. I’m glad I’m back,” James said. “I get to run the ball more so I’m glad I’m back.”

The 5-11, 220-pound sophomore said he was happy to help the team out when they needed a fullback and he responded as a solid blocker and also rushed for 46 yards and a score on 15 carries and caught 15 passes for 105 yards and a touchdown. He also returned 22 kicks for 496 yards (22.5 average).

“He’s very natural,” running backs coach Mike Cassano said. “He’s a very, very natural runner and very smooth and is deceptively fast as well. He’s another guy with great size. He’s a very deceptive runner whether it be size or speed and also his elusiveness as well.”

James said he wasn’t sure if the move to fullback was full-time, but says he learned a lot by playing a different position.

“I learned a lot (at fullback),” James said. “I learned another aspect of the game. My blocking got better and I caught more balls at fullback. It was one of those things where they needed me somewhere and I just got in there and did what I needed to do.”

One of James’ favorite players, Willis McGahee, went through a similar transition during his time at Miami. When McGahee was moved back to tailback in 2002, he responded by setting a school record with 1,753 rushing yards.

“I knew about his move since I was a little because Willis McGahee was one of my favorite players and I’ve been looking up to him ever since I saw him play here,” James said.

James has a new look this spring as he’s changed his number to 5, his high school number, from 22 as the number opened up after the graduation of Javarris James.

“It’s a wonderful, I love it,” James said. “22 was okay, it was alright. A number is a number, but I love having 5 back. I miss J.J., but I love this 5.”

James is in a fierce competition at tailback with senior Damien Berry and freshman Storm Johnson as redshirt freshman Lamar Miller has been busy with track and Graig Cooper and Lee Chambers are both out this spring due to injuries.

“We are just approaching it like it’s a competition every day,” James said. “All of our backs are able to play on any given day so we are just approach it that hard work is going to pay off.”

Berry is the favorite to be the team’s starter after finishing second on the team in rushing last season with 616 yards and leading the team with eight touchdowns.

However, James is pushing hard for the top spot.

“Everybody wants to be a starter, but it’s all about who works hard and who gets to play,” James said. “We are not really big on ‘I get more playing time than you or you get more playing time than me’. It’s amore about the team and the offense and helping out the team.”

The team has completed four of their 15 spring practices with practice resuming Tuesday afternoon.

“I feel I have been doing alright, but there’s always room for improvement,” James said. “I’ve been doing okay, but I can be doing better.”
 7 years ago '05        #7151
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
word on the street is storm johnson ran over ray ray on saturday
 7 years ago '07        #7152
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
Mike James spitting real s**t with how hard work earns the spot and how you gotta earn the starting spot. No matter who is the main tailback, theyll put up numbers. Competition between players makes the team overall better
 7 years ago '06        #7153
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
ohhh no!!! please help me!!! goddungit!!! awwww man :cry:

B WASH hurt his MCL

:cry: k!ll ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
 7 years ago '05        #7154
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
ohhh no!!! please help me!!! goddungit!!! awwww man :cry:

B WASH hurt his MCL

:cry: k!ll ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
:angry12::banghead:

f**kin-a!!
 7 years ago '04        #7155
stevecham 
space
space
$1,625 | Props total: 0 0
Don't claim the U as my favorite CFB team, but always interested in them..figured a few on here might be interested in this ESPN Insider rumor. Probably nothing that U fans already didnt know.

Miami really wants top 2011 QB | 12:40PM ET | Miami (FL) Hurricanes

Miami is apparently chasing top 2011 QB Teddy Bridgewater pretty hard. He was just down at Miami for a visit, and he told ESPN affiliate Inside The U, "Yes, Miami is coming very hard."

The website reports that Miami is "in non-stop pursuit" of the high school junior, but Bridgewater is getting interest from a large number of schools -- most recently Alabama.

But his decision might come early, because he plans on enrolling early at whichever school he decides to attend.
 7 years ago '05        #7156
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 stevecham said:
Don't claim the U as my favorite CFB team, but always interested in them..figured a few on here might be interested in this ESPN Insider rumor. Probably nothing that U fans already didnt know.

Miami really wants top 2011 QB | 12:40PM ET | Miami (FL) Hurricanes

Miami is apparently chasing top 2011 QB Teddy Bridgewater pretty hard. He was just down at Miami for a visit, and he told ESPN affiliate Inside The U, "Yes, Miami is coming very hard."

The website reports that Miami is "in non-stop pursuit" of the high school junior, but Bridgewater is getting interest from a large number of schools -- most recently Alabama.

But his decision might come early, because he plans on enrolling early at whichever school he decides to attend.

yea nothing new to us....shannon so commited to dude.that he told bridgewater if he commits to miami he wont offer another qb
 7 years ago '04        #7157
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
yeah Storm ran over Ray Ray's a.ss

And also, there have been little f!ghts and altercation and smack talk between players on the field

I think Shannon is letting the dogs loose this time around !!!!!!!

But damn B-Washington can't get hurt we need that fool strong this year!
 7 years ago '04        #7158
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Maurice Hagens

[pic - click to view]

n*gga is scary as f**k

And hes only 17 years old

Cant wait til he lits the f**king nolies up and every team he has to face for the next 4 years
 7 years ago '07        #7159
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 465 465
 Cap Peeler said:
Maurice Hagens

[pic - click to view]

n*gga is scary as f**k

And hes only 17 years old

Cant wait til he lits the f**king nolies up and every team he has to face for the next 4 years
my bro a beast

he gonna tear s**t up
 7 years ago '05        #7160
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Miller ready to flash breakaway speed
You have to give Lamar Miller credit -- at least he tried. Twice during track season the 5-11, 212-pound running back said he challenged receiver Travis Benjamin for the title of fastest Hurricane. And twice, Miller laments, Benjamin got the better of him -- barely.

"It's hard to beat him," Miller said of the much thinner Benjamin who placed fourth in the 60 meters (6.74 seconds) and two spots ahead of Miller (6.84 seconds) at last weekend's ACC Track and Field Indoor championships. "He runs at warp speed."

Miller might not be fast enough to catch Benjamin in track, but on the football field he's fast enough to grab just about everyone's attention. Tuesday, as the Hurricanes resumed spring practice in full pads and shorts, the redshirt freshman was back on the football field, flashing his speed and talent. And just like last season, he's receiving rave reviews.

"I couldn't wait to see him come back out on the field," said redshirt freshman defensive end Dyron Dye who faced Miller plenty on the Canes' scout team. "The things he sees, does, I've never seen a running back do the things he does. It's very exciting to go against him. It's crazy. I'm excited to see what he does this year."

Miller said he had a couple "big runs" Tuesday. "One, we were running a counter and I saw the hole, cut back and outran everybody," he said. "The next one was a stretch play, I cut back in the inside and did the same thing."

Miller knows the Hurricanes are likely to rotate running backs plenty this season and he said he just wants to earn his share of carries with the other guys -- likely senior Damien Berry and sophomore Mike James. He said his goal this spring is to stay healthy, drop down a few pounds (he wants to weigh 205 when the season starts), and work on his pass blocking -- something he didn't do a lot of at Miami k!llian.

A FEW MORE TIDBITS...

> I almost made the mistake Tuesday of confusing redshirt freshman defensive end Dyron Dye with senior Allen Bailey. Dye isn't as beefy as Bailey yet, but you can definitely see his 6-5, 250-pound frame has room to grow. Dye, who had knee surgery before the Oklahoma game last season, said he has added 15 to 20 pounds since returning.

"The way I put it on, I don't feel heavy," Dye said. "It came on bit by bit. I feel real good. I'm still moving the same as I did before."

> UM coach Randy Shannon said he hopes to run about 130 to 140 plays during Saturday's closed scrimmage at Greentree practice field. That's seems like a lot more than usual. The Canes usually run about 75 to 80 per scrimmage. Shannon said all players -- including the quarterbacks -- will receive equal reps. The scrimmage is open to local high school coaches and youth football coaches who participate in UM's weekend coaching seminar ($50 to register).

> The Hurricanes will have two open scrimmages for the public. The first one is Thursday, March 11th at Fort Lauderdale's Lockhart Stadium at 7 p.m. The spring game is set for Saturday, March 27th at Traz Powell Stadium in Miami. Kickoff is set for 4:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast live on CSS. There will be an autograph session for fans an hour before both scrimmages are set to begin.

> Shannon said he was pleased with the first week of spring practice including the progress of his young quarterbacks in the offense. Occasionally, he says, a few scuffles have broken out between other players because of the intensity of the workouts. "That' the one thing you like, that those guys are really going after each other," Shannon said. "Instead of `you're my teammate, my roommate,' it's more of `you're on offense, I'm on defense, now I'm going to get after you,' which is good."

> Shannon praised receiver LaRon Byrd as one of his one of the opening week's biggest standouts. "He made a lot of plays last week, improved from last year," Shannon said. "We told him, and I told him Saturday, `Hey you had a great week. But now when we come back you have to have a different mentality; what you did last week is over with.' I'm trying to prepare those guys for next season, because we had success early in the season, guys were feeling good about themselves and probably slacked off. Now this is a time you can actually work on it to see if you take that next step, not relax now."

> Former Hurricane Ed Reed watched Tuesday's practice.

LETS GET IT!!!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Single Mothers Infographic
230 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
85 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
8 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside FAST & FURIOUS 8 Trailer Teaser (2017) (Like the announcement for the a..
43 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Best Buy Buy 2 Get 1 Free 12/4/16-12/10/16
51 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
122 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside GTA Online: Import/Export coming December
46 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
180 comments
1 day ago