Video inside The right way to heat up PIZZA!! Changed my life
105 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Kim Kardashian Allegedly Wants A Divorce From Kanye West
116 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
67 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #6841
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,667 | Props total: 12178 12178
shout out to this cat posthing these articles

wow at the wilder comment.... lets see if we pull a tampa plant kid
 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM         #6842
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Apparently Miami offering and accepting a commitment from Kelvin Cain was enough for ESPN to evaluate him. They grade him 76 which is a 3-star.

Evaluation:

Cain is a physically impressive looking linebacker prospect who may be sliding under the radar. He's big, long and rangy with the room to add considerable bulk. He can step up and stack the run showing good downhill burst and strength at the point of attack. Utilizes his hands well keeping blockers off his body and holding his base at the point of attack. Shows he can be quick in the short-area as well and beat blockers to the hole. Deceptively agile pursuing in space and dropping in coverage. We like his comfort level around the football; has the body, athleticism and physical tools to mold into a tight end as well. Does show some stiffness at times changing direction and we would like to see quicker reads between the tackles, is going to be a better vertical attacker than lateral pursuer and could actually grow into a defensive end with added bulk and improved pass-rushing skills. Overall, Cain could be a sleeper with his impressive frame, good athleticism and high ceiling for development.
 7 years ago '04        #6843
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Johnson Drops Miami for Maryland
Jan. 10, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

It has been a recurring theme with the Miami Hurricanes 2010 recruiting class.

There has now been five players who have verbally committed to Randy Shannon's squad that have since changed their mind and picked other schools.

This comes during a year in which Shannon's team posted a 9-4 record, the best under Shannon in his three years and a rise to the top 10 in the rankings, but it hasn't been enough.

Washington D.C. Dunbar linebacker Javarie Johnson is the latest Miami verbal commitment to change his mind as he dropped the Hurricanes in favor of Maryland on Sunday.

"Basically, he just wanted to be closer to home and he chose Maryland over Miami," said Dunbar High a.ssistant coach Ashaa Cherry.

Johnson declined interview requests with InsideTheU.com and InsideMDSports.com, an ESPN affiliate site covering Maryland.

Johnson, 6-3, 208, took an official visit to Miami on December 11 and was expected to enroll early.

He had 90 tackles and 10 sacks as a junior and committed to Miami in June 2009.

Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Minnesota, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, New Mexico and West Virginia all extended offers to Johnson.

In a December 13 interview, Johnson said: “The one thing (Coach Shannon) said that will always stick with us is when we go to Miami, you’ll always be family. If you leave, transfer, going to NFL, it was always be Miami. That’s always important. I did feel it too."

Booker T. Washington wide receiver Quinton Dunbar originally committed to Miami, but has since picked Florida. Glades Central athlete Greg Dent (Florida State), Jacksonville Raines defensive tackle Louis Nix (Notre Dame), and Northwestern defensive tackle Todd Chandler (South Florida) were also previous Miami commitments.
 7 years ago '04        #6844
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
so does this class suck or what?

i swear all these 3 star kids better be on some Ed Reed type of s**t. I trust in the staff.
 7 years ago '04        #6845
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Those from Miami are truly letter men
By Michael Vega
Globe Staff / January 10, 2010
E-mail this article
To:
Invalid E-mail address
Add a personal message:(80 character limit) Your E-mail:
Invalid E-mail address
Sending your article
Your article has been sent.

* E-mail|
* Print|
* Reprints|
* Yahoo! Buzz|
* ShareThis

Text size – +

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Matt Birk had just wrapped up his question-and-answer session with the media Wednesday at the Baltimore Ravens’ indoor practice facility. Glancing behind him, Birk saw that teammate Ray Lewis was next in line to take the microphone.
Discuss
COMMENTS (5)

* Dan Shaughnessy Pats’ success has left fans too hard to please
* Punching in
* On Football For Ravens, little things will add up to a loss
* Pats-Ravens scouting report
* Gostkowski has been routinely proficient
* Faulk a back who is still looking forward
* Patriots and Ravens from University of Miami are letter men
* Patriots Notebook Tight ends could be let loose
* More Patriots coverage

“Heeeere’s Ray Lewis,’’ Birk said, giving the Pro Bowl linebacker a showman’s introduction.

Then, raising his hands and connecting them at the thumbs so that they formed a large letter “U,’’ Birk reminded everyone where Lewis played college football.

“He’s from ‘The U,’ ’’ said Birk, the veteran center.

Leave it to a Harvard man to spell it out.

“I’m still trying to get an ‘H,’ but I can’t figure out how you do that with your hands,’’ Birk joked.

The ubiquitous “U’’ hand signal has become a calling card of sorts for those NFL players who hail from the University of Miami. But it represents more than just a show of school spirit. It is a legacy of pride and passion upheld by those who have toiled - and still toil - in the South Florida heat and humidity, playing for the Hurricanes.

“Oh yeah, it’s just a history, man,’’ Lewis said. “It’s just a legacy of great players. These guys have been around a long time. Hurricanes come and they go.’’

Said Birk, “They’re a tight-knit group, all those guys, you know? They’re proud of where they went, and rightfully so.’’

Today, when the Patriots host the Ravens in a wild-card playoff matchup at Gillette Stadium, there will be six members of “The U’’ on hand, with nose tackle Vince Wilfork and safety Brandon Meriweather dressing for New England and linebackers Tavares Gooden and Lewis, safety Ed Reed, and running back Willis McGahee for Baltimore. They are among 14 Miami players listed on NFL playoff rosters this year, 10 of whom are starters, seven headed to the Pro Bowl.

“You’ll see a young Vince Wilfork over there and you’ll see a Meriweather over there,’’ said Lewis. “Anytime I’m on the field, I’m ‘Pops.’ But these are babies that you watched pretty much your whole career.’’

No matter what side of an NFL field they find themselves on, Hurricanes share a bond, a respect for one another, and pride in where they’re from.

“When we play against those players, we’re not out to hurt those guys,’’ McGahee said. “We’re out to beat ’em, but we’re not out to hurt ’em. Now, if we’re playing against somebody from Florida State? Aw, man, we don’t care anything about you.

“But I remember playing against Ray when I was in Buffalo and he tackled me and he was like, ‘C’mon young ’Cane, get up young ’Cane!’ ’’ McGahee recalled. “When I play against [Jonathan] Vilma [of the Saints], me and Vilma played together in school but we had this rivalry. It’s not like we hated each other, but it was like, ‘I’m gonna outdo you today,’ or he was trying to get a big hit on me.Continued...
Page 2 of 2 --

“But at the end of the day, we always come back and it’s, ‘Good job, I’ll getcha next time.’ ’’
Discuss
COMMENTS (5)

* Dan Shaughnessy Pats’ success has left fans too hard to please
* Punching in
* On Football For Ravens, little things will add up to a loss
* Pats-Ravens scouting report
* Gostkowski has been routinely proficient
* Faulk a back who is still looking forward
* Patriots and Ravens from University of Miami are letter men
* Patriots Notebook Tight ends could be let loose
* More Patriots coverage

When the Patriots beat the Ravens, 27-21, Oct. 4 at Gillette Stadium, Meriweather was the best safety from “The U’’ on the field that day, better even than his mentor, Reed.

“He’s like my big brother, man,’’ Meriweather said. “Whenever I need advice or whenever I’m playing bad and I need someone to talk to, he’s always the one I call. He’s always been there with good advice.

“It’s like family playing against family - whenever you get a chance to play against family, you always want to win, so when you go home you have something to talk about.’’

In the mid-to-late ’80s, the Hurricanes were a force. Back then, it seemed, winning national championships was strictly “A ’Cane Thing,’’ with Miami capturing three of its five titles in 1987, 1989, and 1991. That dominance reflected Miami’s impressive a.ssemblage of talent, which at first was culled largely from the stocked talent pools in South Florida.

“It’s a football program that’s had a lot of success and turned out a lot of good players,’’ Birk noted. “A lot of good pros.’’

Four went on to be immortalized in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, beginning with Jim Otto in 1980. He was followed by Ted Hendricks in 1990, Jim Kelly in 2002, and Michael Irvin in 2007.

“I don’t know who the Godfather of The U was, because you had a lot of them,’’ McGahee said. “You had Jerome Brown, you got Cortez Kennedy, you got Warren Sapp, you got Ray Lewis, and Michael Irvin, people like that. There’s a lot of great players. Bernie Kosar . . . Jim Kelly . . . Vinny Testaverde.

“You just can’t single any one person out at The U. That’s why we say it’s The U.

“When we hold up that ‘U,’ everybody knows what time it is: ‘Oh, he went to the University of Miami. You can’t say that anywhere else. It’s all about The U.

“At one point in life, everybody wanted to go to the University of Miami. I don’t care if it was even for a day or two. It was because of the colors we were, or the visors I wore - everybody wanted to be a part of it at one point.’’

For those who were, and still are, a part of that football fraternity, there remains a strong need to uphold their school’s reputation.

“It’s an honor,’’ Lewis said. “That’s why when the game is over - win, lose, or draw on each side - you got to go over and congratulate the other one, because that’s the way we’re built.

“It’s just like back when we were on the schoolyard in college, when we competed against each other. We’d do whatever we had to do to win, but after the day is over, then it’s over, and we’re back to being brothers
 01-11-2010, 05:26 AM         #6846
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Miami Hurricanes Face a Wave Of Recruiting Decommits

Over past couple of months the Miami Hurricanes have been losing highly rated recruits and have had certain prospects from south Florida area commit to other programs such as the Florida Gators.

The Hurricanes so far have faced a wave of decommitments for no apparent reason even though they had their best season in the past four years. Miami is facing one of their worst recruiting class in the past five years with only six 4-star recruits out of 25 players compared to the two previous years 2008 coming off 5-7 season (two 5-stars, fifteen 4-star, out of 32) and 7-6 (one 5-star, nine 4-star, out of 19).I am perplexed because Miami is a team on the rise. While teams like Florida State and Notre Dame have been struggling with seven or less wins a year.

The Florida Gators have uncertainty of who’s is going to be their coach next season. Even though Urban Meyer says he will be back, it is still not certain that he will, but in the past few days the Gators had picked up commitments from three of the top 14 recruits Matt Elam, Sharrif Floyd, and Ronald Powell. All defensive guys , all five star recruits, and all recruits targeted by the Hurricanes. They are just a few guys that picked Florida over Miami.

I am not trying to put down the recruits Miami has, in fact I think a lot of them will be sleepers, and will have a lot of success in college. But I am concerned about the players that committed to Miami and in the end decommitted, as well as losing out to other schools for top prospects. Hopefully in the end this recruiting class ends up being great. Remember don't get mad at these high school players they are just kids and their minds change.

All rankings according to Rivals.com

Here is a list of all the players that were Miami Hurricane commits that decommited

Javarie Johnson 4 star linebacker, 17th best linebacker, Rivals 250 Commit to Maryland

Quinton Dunbar 4 star wide receiver, 22nd best receiver, 137th nationally Commit to Florida

Greg Dent 4 star athlete, 27th best athlete Commit to Florida State

Todd Chandler 4 star defensive tackle, 16th best DT, 189th nationally Commit to South Florida

Louis Nix 4 star defensive tackle, 7th best DT, 93rd nationally Commit to Notre Dame
 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM         #6847
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
WR Ivan McCartney and CB Tony Grimes Talking Recruitng

Tick-tock, tick-tock …

The rush to make that ultimate, forever binding, I'll never-change-my-mind commitment to play college football is quickly coming to a conclusion. Signing Day is Feb. 3, only three weeks away from this Wednesday. Sounds like the countdown to Christmas.

Many of the top recruits from Broward County have made their commitments. Others are in that standby mode, either keeping a close-kept secret where they will go, or waiting for it…still wavering on that difficult decision where to play football at the next level.

Tick-tock, tick-tock…

Is it an advantage to wait or jump on that commitment bandwagon? It depends on the mindset.

"I think it is an advantage to wait, though, I think many college coaches want to see you commit early," Miramar wide receiver Ivan McCartney said. "I'm waiting for Signing Day because it gives me a chance to see who really wants me and to see the best fit for me."

His wait may be worth it for him. McCartney's performance at last month's Class 6A state championship game was a plus for him when he had five catches for 86 yards and three touchdowns.

McCartney has taken official visits to Florida, Oregon and West Virginia and has planned a visit to Miami on Super Bowl weekend, which hints he may not sign on Feb. 3.

McCartney is among several top county recruits who have not yet made a commitment. A few others are Tony Grimes (Hollywood Hills), Brian Robinson (St Thomas Aquinas), Travion Bailey (McArthur) and Brandon Doughty (North Broward Prep).

"I'm not nervous about waiting," McCartney said. "It will lead me to the right place. Schools are still talking to me."

Grimes, like McCartney, hasn't been distracted by the recruiting parade.

"I'm taking it day by day," said Grimes, a cornerback. "I'm waiting to make the right decision. There's no real pressure. I didn't want to make a decision early and disrespect the school by changing my mind later."

Grimes has made visits to Maryland and Michigan and has unofficial visits planned for Miami, Georgia and Alabama.

Though the clock is ticking the waiting game looks good for McCartney and Grimes.
 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM         #6848
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Canes land Bahamian defensive tackle recruit
You won't find Delmar Taylor on any national recruiting lists. And unless you attended one of the five high school football games he played in at Miami Beach High this past fall, you probably have never seen him.

But a.ssuming all goes well over the next month, the 6-5, 260-pound Bahamian born defensive tackle will be one of the recruits who is a part of the University of Miami's 2010 signing class. Taylor is about as raw and unknown a player as there is in South Florida. But according to our recruiting coordinator Larry Blustein, who saw Taylor play twice, he is very, very talented.

"I came away very impressed with his quickness and strength," Blustein said. "This is an athlete who never takes plays off, which is something any college coach notices right away. This is an athlete who has a real chance to do some big things at the next level."

According to Miami Beach coach Ralph Jimenez, FIU coach Mario Cristobal was the first to spot Taylor and offer him a scholarship. Bowling Green and Western Michigan followed. Memphis was about to offer. But according to Jimenez, when UM a.ssistant coach Wesley McGriff came in a day before students went on vacation for Christmas break and watched film of Taylor, it was love at first sight on both sides.

"If he stays injury free and stays hungry and shows me the way he has shown me since he showed up in January, he could definitely play in the NFL one day," said Jimenez, who has been at Miami Beach High for two seasons. "He has to stay coachable and watch a lot of film. All the things he's done with us, he has to continue to do. But once you meet the kid, you fall in love with him. He didn't even know how to get into a three-point stance when we got him last January. But he's got a lot of talent and a lot of hunger."

Taylor first came to South Florida, according to his uncle Tony Hamilton, when he was 14 and enrolled at Miramar High. But after his mom was involved in a bad car accident, he was forced to return home and work to financially support his mom and now eight-year old brother Malik.

"His mom is better now, which is why he was able to come back," Hamilton said. "But when he went back, he was working with his uncle in plumbing, learning the trade and making whatever money he could to take care of his mom and brother. It was pretty tough. He sacrificed himself."

According to Hamilton, Taylor returned to South Florida his junior year and went out for football at Miramar, where Taylor lives. But he never saw the field because he was still learning how to play. In January 2009, Taylor enrolled him at Miami Beach High, not far from where he works at a nearby Publix. Unfortunately, do to some eligibility issues, the Florida High School Athletic a.ssociation only allowed him to play in five games at Miami Beach. Still, Jimenez said, Taylor made his presence felt. He earned best rusher award at the Down & Dirty Camp and played well in his five games.

"One thing he's done is gotten a lot stronger," Jimenez said. "When he first got here he was 6-4, 225. Now, he's 6-5, 260. He was benching 185 and now he's up to 260. He was power cleaning 125 and is at 225. We really pushed himself in the weight room. He was one of the guys who broke records. Now, he's squating 385 pounds. He's a great story."

Jimenez said Taylor has the grades to get into UM. "He's got like a 2.8 GPA and an 18 on his ACT score," Jimenez said. "Believe me, UM wouldn't have offered if they didn't think he could make it into school. He's a qualifier."

Taylor isn't the only good recruiting news for the Canes in the last 24 hours. Monsignor Pace quarterback Stephen Morris said he's a full-go to begin classes next week at UM and participate in spring football. Morris had been waiting on clearance from his school's principal on graduating early. He got it. Pace usually doesn't let students graduate in January.

It looks like Morris will be joined by running backs Eduardo Clements and Storm Johnson, linebacker Tyrone Cornileus, center Shane McDermott and offensive tackle Malcolm Bunche as early entrants. UM is still waiting on word regarding JUCO tight end Chase Ford, who needs approval on a class he took at another school to begin this spring.

> Two current Cane commitments and cornerbacks -- Devont'a Davis from Gainesville High and Jeremy Davis from Cape Coral -- will take visits to other schools this weekend. Jeremy Davis is visiting North Carolina and Devont'a Davis is headed to Arkansas.

> Don't hold your breath on the top offensive tackle in the country, Seantrel Henderson, visiting UM on Jan. 29. The Hurricanes weren't probably going to land him anyway.
 7 years ago '05        #6849
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
seem to be getting alot of these under the radar guys
 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM         #6850
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Seems like we aren't getting the big names we wanted to begin with at first, so we are now throwing schollies at projects/potential diamond in the rough's.

Kinda iffy on that strategy..

but hopefully we can close out with a couple of more top guys.
 7 years ago '05        #6851
CO Butta 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,394 | Props total: 1 1
yall class f**kin sucks
 7 years ago '04        #6852
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Thompkins Asked to Play CB
Jan. 13, 2010

Kendal Thompkins.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Kendal Thompkins faces a difficult challenge ahead of him.

University of Miami head coach Randy Shannon has approached Thompkins about switching to cornerback according to multiple sources within the program.

Thompkins is a redshirt freshman wide receiver, who stands 5-foot-10 and weighs 180 pounds. He caught two passes for 33 yards and a touchdown this past season in 10 games after catching two in 2008 before a season-ending shoulder injury.

The move is an interesting decision considering UM’s 2010 class, which features just one verbal commitment from a receiver and five from defensive backs, all of which are projected as cornerbacks.

This is the third consecutive year the Miami coaches have switched a wide receiver to defensive back. After three years at wide receiver while grabbing 75 balls for nearly 1,000 yards, Sam Shields was asked to move to cornerback for his senior season. Shields started 10 games this past season. Ryan Hill made the switch prior to the 2008 season after two years at wideout.

While at Northwestern High School, Thompkins was one of Jacory Harris’ top receiving targets during his senior year as he caught 46 passes for 839 yards and 14 touchdowns. He did not play on defense in high school.

Rumors have circulated that Thompkins will transfer following the position change, but according to sources, he plans on staying at this point. However, that could change if he wants to continue playing wide receiver. Nebraska could be an option for him as he was seriously considering going to Lincoln in the final days of the recruiting process following a final weekend official visit. A strong push by the UM coaching staff in the waning hours leading up to signing day swayed Thompkins to UM.

Thompkins was one of the top performers during spring practice following his season-ending injury. He showed very good speed and elusive ability, but his most impressive attribute was the ability to get open and read the defense.

His success continued during fall practices, but he did not crack the five-man rotation, which were all guys who earned substantial playing time in 2008.

Thompkins primarily saw action on special this season, but totaled just one tackle.

He caught one pass for 18 yards against Florida A&M on October 10 and a 15-yard touchdown reception against Virginia on November 7.

Regardless of what decision Thompkins makes, he faces a difficult challenge.
 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM         #6853
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thanks 4 da update about thompkins...boy is a beast!!!
 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM         #6854
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Georgia duo ready to begin UM career
ROANOKE, VA. -- They grew up playing football together at the Pop Warner level and spent most of their lives in homes just a 10 minute drive apart in of the richest areas for football talent in Georgia. Tyrone Cornelius and Storm Johnson always thought there might be a chance they could be college roommates one day. They just never thought it would be at the University of Miami.

But Coral Gables is exactly where both will begin college this weekend when six 2010 football recruits begin arriving for the start of classes Monday.

"We've known each other since we were little kids," said Cornelius, a 6-2 1/2, 190-pound outside linebacker with 4.5-speed from Stephenson High in Stone Mountain, who played up the road from Johnson, a 6-1, 217-pound All-American running back from Loganville with 4.48-speed.

"For the longest time I thought he was going to LSU. Then, he decommitted and joined the University of Miami in November. I was stunned. But it made me feel better. At least now I know I can go down there with somebody I have a bond with."

Little by little, the Hurricanes have begun creating stronger bonds with top-notch recruits in Georgia. Call it the Wesley McGriff factor. UM's defensive backs coach is from Tifton, a three-hour drive south of Atlanta. Last year, he plucked defensive end/linebacker Shayon Green (6-2, 225) from his hometown (Green missed the season with a knee injury). This year, McGriff was all over Cornelius and was ready to pounce on Johnson, an ESPN Top 150 player, the moment he parted ways with his first choice, LSU.

All three Georgia players represent more of what the Hurricanes are looking for in their recruiting classes: players that don't just have more size, but are smart enough to handle more complex schemes and have the grades to get into school early.

Cornelius, who hopes to add on 20 pounds of muscle to his frame, graduated from high school with a 3.0 GPA and scored a 20 on the ACT. When you talk to him, he sounds just as smart as Jordan Futch and about as football saavy as Sean Spence. Johnson, who graduated with a 3.2 GPA and ACT score of 20, seems destined to make the same type of impact Mike James made last season.

"Coach McGriff actually came at me and showed me a lot love the spring before my junior year," said Cornelius, who plans on majoring in Forensic Science.

"The one thing he said he loved about me from the start were me academics. I've always been on top of my books. I think I've made only one C in high school. Graduating early has always been a big deal for me. Starting off on college early, getting that head start on football and academics is huge."

The Hurricanes could certainly use reinforcements at both linebacker and running back. Last season, after Futch went down with a torn ACL, UM rotated four linebackers -- senior Darryl Sharpton, junior Colin McCarthy, sophomores Sean Spence and Ramon Buchanon -- the rest of the season. Entering the spring, Cornelius said he hopes to learn a lot from the veterans to put himself in position to compete with Arthur Brown and Futch for playing time.

"As long as I'm on the field and helping the team out, that's all I care about," Cornelius said. "Either side -- weak or strong -- is good for me. I think I'll be able to catch on pretty quick. Their run defense is a lot like the one we ran at my high school, a pro style 4-3. Zone coverages, blitzes, stunts, I've done those before. I'm actually a very smart kid on the field.

"I could be a big hitter. But I prefer to see myself as a real fast linebacker. I can get from one side of the field to the other in a matter of seconds. I'm fast, take on blocks as well. I can also drop back in pass coverage. I know a lot of linebackers can play the run extremely well, but can't drop back in pass coverage with ease. But I can do that. Coach McGriff told me he wouldn't be scared to put me at safety either."

Cornelius, a three-star recruit and Top 40 outside linebacker according to Rivals, Scout and ESPN, finished his senior season with 108 tackles, an interception, two forced fumbles, two blocked punts and eight tackles for loss and helped lead Stephenson to an 11-1 record and the second round of the playoffs.

He didn't get to play against Johnson, who literally lives 10 minutes from his house, because Loganville is in a different classification and county. But he respects his game plenty.

"Storm is a fast, bruising back, a North-South runner who you better be ready to take on," Cornelius said. "He's a strong worker in the weight room and very smart when it comes to the books. He does everything he has to do to stay on his game."

Johnson, who ran for 1,933 yards and 32 touchdowns on 252 carries his senior season in 11 games, said Cornelius "is gifted."

"Tyrone is a good guy, quiet, hard working and very smart," Johnson said. "He just flies to the football."

Johnson will arrive in Coral Gables Sunday night (a day after Cornelius) and said his goal is to make an immediate impact -- whether its carrying the football, blocking or handling kickoffs. With Javarris James gone and Graig Cooper (torn ACL) expected to miss all of 2010, UM's available backfield veterans are senior-to-be Damien Berry, redshirt freshman Mike James and junior Lee Chambers. Redshirt freshman Lamar Miller is also expected to make an impact.

Johnson's recent performance at the Under Armour game in Tampa elevated his recruiting ranking on Rivals from a three-star recruit to a far star level and his him ranked 106th nationally overall. He will be joined by Booker T. Washington running back Eduardo Clements, ranked 156th overall by Rivals, in the spring.

"If I could wear the number 5 [a jersey number expected to be available after the departure of Javarris James] that would be great," Johnson said. "But other than that, I just want to come down, be another hard worker and get after it.
 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM         #6855
Dchis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ROANOKE, VA. -- The only position Eduardo Clements took seriously growing up was running back. But as he prepares to begin taking classes at the University of Miami, the Miami Booker T. Washington standout isn't sure that when he finishes his college career he'll still be taking handoffs.

For the past two weeks, Clements has been working out with former high school teammate and Canes cornerback Brandon Harris, who apparently has been getting in Clements' ear about giving the secondary a try.

"Brandon and I got into a heated discussion the other day," said Clements, who is expected to begin taking classes at UM on Jan. 23, a few days after he receives his final report card from Booker T. "He said, 'Bro, if you go in there and learn the system, I know you can play corner.' He said because a couple of other guys will be doing track, they'll only be like three corners around for the spring. [Defensive backs] coach [Wesley] McGriff] jokes with me all the time about going out for corner.

"To be honest, if I had to make a choice and switch, of all the positions I'd pick corner. I always liked playing it during 7-on-7. If I had to do it, I could."

With Miami's wealth and depth at running back, Clements (5-10, 190) might eventually be asked to do so. But at least when spring football begins in late February, Clements expects to be where he always has -- on the offensive side of things. That is, of course, if he's physically ready.

Five games into his senior season, Clements badly sprained the meniscus in his left knee while playing defensive end in the Tornadoes' 35-28 win over rival Miami Northwestern. He sat out his team's next three games in October before returning for the final month of the season. He finished with 694 yards rushing and 12 catches for 151 yards and a score, his worst season his freshman year when he ran for 624 yards and eight touchdowns and caught 10 passes for 107 yards. Clements still finished his career as one of the best all-time in Miami-Dade County, rushing for 3,105 yards and 50 touchdowns and catching 77 passes for 743 yards and five TDs. He also was named Most Valuable Player of the Class 4A state championship game in 2007.

"Basically, I'm still rehabbing," said Clements, who is graduating from Booker T. with a 3.2 GPA and 22 on the ACT exam. "The last time I saw my doctor he told me I didn't heal the way it needed to. So, now, I'm wearing a brace, trying to workout with it, stuff like that. The past two weeks, [Brandon] has been coming to Booker T., training me at corner. I'm just working to get my knee back 100 percent. I should be there by the spring game."

Rated by Rivals as the 10th best running back in the country (14th by ESPN), Clements said he feels like he closely resembles the playing style of Graig Cooper, who has become a close friend of his. With Cooper not expected to play in 2010, Clements feels he could fill the Canes' need for "a scatback."

"When you look at it, Damien Berry, Lamar Miller and Mike James are all downhill runners," Clements said. "Me and Coop are guys you can split out wide, just like he was against Florida State when he caught the touchdown.

"Basically, in all our meetings, coach Robinson tells me to be patient because they don't really know how they're going to use me. I can be patient. If I have to do the same thing Lamar Miller did, run the scout team, I will. Lamar was still ringing bells, though. I can do the same."

Clements said what he loves about Miami is the family atmosphere, which he said showed itself perfectly in the Champs Sports Bowl. "If you want to know why I picked UM, just look at one play -- when Coop got hurt," Clements said. "The first guys on the field where JJ [Javarris James] and Berry. They picked him up, helped him off the field. On this team, there are no selfish attitudes. There is just family. That's why I love The U."

> For what it's worth, Clements said Cooper told him recently his decision to return to UM or enter the NFL Draft remains "in the air." But Clements said he thinks Cooper will come back to UM. "He's down, but he's trying to stay positive," Clements said. "I think Coop just loves the UM family too much to go out like that. I think he'll be back."

> Althought I haven't been able to confirm it yet with Carol City High receiver Allen Hurns (he wasn't answering his phone late Thursday night), Clements said Hurns will be his roommate in the spring. Hurns has been waiting on receiving news regarding his grades.

> So much for giving up on Seantrel Henderson. On Thursday, Scout.com spoke to the father of U.S. Army-All American and the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle, who said his son will take his last official to the University of Miami on Jan. 22. Henderson (6-8, 330) would be the home runs of home runs if the Canes were to land him in this class. But being from Saint Paul, Minnesota, I've always felt this was a long shot. And I'm sticking to it, no matter all the nice things his dad might have to say about UM.
 7 years ago '04        #6856
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Davis Discusses Latest with Recruiting
Jan. 15, 2010

Jeremy Davis.
Cape Coral's Jeremy Davis is a dynamic playmaker with tons of speed.

He has the potential to be a big-time player at the collegiate level.

The University of Miami commit is a solid 6-foot and 165 pounds who is coming off a huge senior season as he rushed for 932 yards and 17 touchdowns on just 84 carries. He also returned two kicks for touchdowns and was a lock down defensive back for Cape Coral, which finished 11-1.

"We had a pretty good season," Davis said. "But we fell short of our goal. It was real disappointing going the whole season and having the goal of winning the state championship game, and then losing, it was a really big disappointment."

It was Davis' first season at Cape Coral after transferring from Fort Myers.

"I loved it, but things could have been better," he said.

Davis projects as a cornerback at the collegiate level, but says he enjoyed having the ball in his hands on offense.

"I loved the role I was in," he said. "There's nothing like touching the ball. I love defense too, but touching the ball is more excitement."

Davis will be busy with track this spring as he plans to participate in the 100, 200, 400, 4x400, and 4x100 with goals of getting down to a 10 flat in the 100 after being a consistent 10.4 guy last season.

Currently Davis is taking an online class to improve his GPA, which he says he needs to do.

"I should be done with the class next month sometime," he said. "It's just one class right now, but if I want to improve my GPA I can take more."

University of Miami a.ssistant coach Tommie Robinson is Davis' primary recruiter. The two talked for 20 minutes on Wednesday.

"He told me the same thing he always told me, 'get the grades'," Davis said.

Robinson along with head coach Randy Shannon visited Davis last month.

"Coach Shannon and Coach Robinson came to see me for an in-home visit last month right after our season ended before the bowl game," Davis said. "It went well. Coach Shannon told me to be ready, work hard, and be ready to compete for a starting job."

The Hurricanes still want Davis as a cornerback and involved in the return game, but maybe another role.

"Coach Whipple wants me on offense, so we'll see," said Davis, who is planning to take an official trip to Miami on January 29.

The University of Miami is not the only school talking to Davis right now as North Carolina is heavily involved.

Davis said he might take an official visit to North Carolina this weekend as he talked to the coaches "a couple days ago".

"I'm not sure if I'm going to North Carolina, but I might," Davis said.

Davis said the Tar Heels, "have been talking to me for a while, but I'm still solid with Miami. I'm just going just to go."

Davis added: "They like me at corner too, but they also say they want me to be a big help on special teams in the return game and maybe a little bit on offense."

Although Davis grew up a big Miami fan, it's not a surprise to see him consider North Carolina because Davis' older brother Philip Buchanon played three years for Butch Davis, now the head man at North Carolina, when Buchanon was at UM.

Davis talked to Buchanon on Wednesday. The two talked about the upcoming football season and Buchanon gave Davis advice on how to handle his current recruiting situation.

"He tells me not to try and rush it and whatever happens, happens."
 7 years ago '04        #6857
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Jones Sees Progress From Miami
Jan. 15, 2010

By: Nate Adelson

Christian Jones.
Winter Park Lake Howell linebacker Christian Jones is still considering around six or seven schools, but a lot has changed with some of them in the past couple weeks.

USC has a new head coach in Lane Kiffin as well as two new defensive coaches. Tennessee was the previous home for all the new USC coaches, and now the Vols are without a head coach. Even Florida State, where Jones has strong ties, has recently hired a few new a.ssistant coaches.

After all of that, it is only natural to wonder how Jones (6-4, 215) is feeling about all of these coaching changes.

“Everything is pretty much the same, nothing is too serious to bother me with that,” Jones said. “That stuff happens and coaches are looking for bigger and better deals wherever they go. They go where they think they have a better opportunity to win and where they can get the most money. I was considering USC anyway so it doesn’t really hurt that the Kiffins (Lane and Monty) went over there with Coach Orgeron because I already knew those guys. I wasn’t too mad about that.”

Jones was scheduled to fly out later today to Los Angeles for his final visit to USC, but he has changed his plans a little bit.

“No I’m going to wait until later so I’m all set when I go over there,” Jones said. “I’m still taking an official visit to USC, it’s just going to be later and not tomorrow.”

Jones grew up a Florida State fan, but he’s always had a lot of respect for Miami which is the biggest reason the Canes still are in the running.

“They’ve been winning for a long time and I know lately they haven’t been quite there honestly but you can see that they’re getting back to the point that they used to be at,” Jones said. “They have a lot of young players coming back and once again, they get guys in the NFL. The coaches there are pretty cool and Coach Barrow has been the main one recruiting me. I’ve been talking to him just about every week and I like talking to him because he’s a good guy.”

Jones also had a chance to see the documentary ‘The U’, which he said only contributed to the interest he already had in Miami.

“Yea I did see it and I loved it, I thought it was great,” Jones said. “It shows you how great Miami was and they’re trying to get back to being a team like that so that’s what’s keeping me interested in them. I knew about all the history they had of winning but I never knew that it started out the way it did. Coach Schnellenberger came in and basically built the whole school up and I thought that was pretty cool.”

In addition to his official visit to USC, Jones still has plans to unofficially visit both Miami and Florida State where he will likely be joined by his father. He wasn’t exactly sure when he would make those in-state trips, but knew they would have to happen soon with signing day less than three weeks away.
 7 years ago '04        #6858
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Ferguson: Miami Has Swagger
Jan. 15, 2010

By: David Lake

J.R. Ferguson
One thing defensive lineman J.R. Ferguson says won’t enter into his college decision is depth charts.

Ferguson says he knows wherever he chooses to go he will have to compete for playing time, so he is not concerned about who is already on the roster at his future school.

“One thing I have always been taught is that you shouldn’t fear anybody but God,” Ferguson said. “I am not afraid of any competition, so depth chart is not really a concern for me. I am not worried about who is there and playing right now.”

Miami is in the final group of schools Ferguson is looking at which includes LSU, Notre Dame, California, Florida State, South Carolina, UCLA, and Oklahoma.

According to Ferguson, the Miami coaches wanted to visit him at his home last week, but he was in Texas participating in the Army All American Game.

“They wanted to come by my house before, but I was in Texas for the Army All American game,” Ferguson said. “I have been talking to the coaches pretty often though. We haven’t yet set a date when they can come up and see me.”

Ferguson says he talks regularly to coach Randy Shannon and wide receivers coach Aubrey Hill on the phone and he likes the relationship he has built with coach Shannon.

“I talk to coach Hill and coach Shannon regularly. Me and coach Shannon have some great conversations. We talk about a lot of things that have to do with life, not just football, and I like that. I feel like I can talk to him about anything and I feel like he is more than a football coach. It is nice to be able to talk to a coach like that.”

Ferguson said Miami is recruiting him as both a defensive end and defensive tackle at this point.

“Coach Shannon said they are recruiting me as both,” Ferguson said. “They said they could use me at either position and if I get big enough to play defensive tackle that is good and if I can play defensive end that is good too. I am cool with playing either one.”

One advantage Miami has in recruiting Ferguson is that South Florida is where he grew up.

Ferguson grew up in Miami before moving away before he started high school. His mother currently lives about two hours north of Miami.

“I like the team and that it is close to home and that they really seem like a family down there. I think the coaches have good relationships with the players and I feel like they are about to get things back to where they have always been down there. Miami is one of the best programs in the country and they have that swagger and they have produced some great defensive linemen.”
 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM         #6859
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
They just need this years sophomores to step the f**k up and play like they should. Shannon is a G and I want him to do well but I'm already getting impatient. Hopefully we will see some maturity and see the guys step up and take over the ACC. With FSU and Miami down the ACC might as well be D2 conference
 7 years ago '05        #6860
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 Hurricane Ra said:
They just need this years sophomores to step the f**k up and play like they should. Shannon is a G and I want him to do well but I'm already getting impatient. Hopefully we will see some maturity and see the guys step up and take over the ACC. With FSU and Miami down the ACC might as well be D2 conference
oh s**ts its RA!! where the hell you been...dont tell me you were really in jail?!?
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
208 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
63 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
66 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
88 comments
1 day ago