Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Gamestop offered him $8.62 for 17 games 2 controllers and a Ps4 Pro
39 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cam responds
216 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Mase In Studio Video Recording 'The Oracle' Cam'ron Diss (Engineer Vibi..
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Blind date: She wants to meet at the gym and get Chipotle after... what do?
71 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #6761
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,509 | Props total: 1133 1133
dont relive that night for me

i wanted to murk some mothaf**kas
 7 years ago '07        #6762
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,509 | Props total: 1133 1133
good a.ss highlight video

the swag was beastly

endzone celebrations and all

these boys bout to bring that back
 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM         #6763
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fulse to Make Another Cut
Jul. 16, 2010

By: Nate Adelson

Fort Meade tight end Brandon Fulse cut his list down to fifteen schools following spring football and later today, he will make another cut down to ten.

In the meantime, Florida, Florida State, Miami, USF, Auburn, Alabama, Texas Tech, Clemson, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, West Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville, and Tennessee, all remain in the running.

Other than the upcoming cut, Fulse (6-4, 250) doesn’t have too much of an idea about his upcoming recruiting plans.

“Every one of the fifteen schools is doing a good job recruiting me but a few have been doing an excellent job,” Fulse said. “I want to visit all of them but I can’t do that. I’m definitely taking official visits but I don’t know where yet. I might be ready to commit by November 3rd but I might have to wait after that.”

Fulse didn’t specify if Miami was doing a good job or an excellent job, but he did say he’s been in contact with the Canes lately.

“Things are good with Miami, I talked to Coach Petri like two weeks ago,” Fulse said. “He always tells me about their tradition, me coming to play for them, and coming to visit this summer. Yea, I’m trying to make plans to visit again.”

Fulse always has and always will consider Miami his favorite team, and he believes that this could be the year that they finally strike gold.

“I would still like Miami even if I wasn’t getting recruited by them, they’re always my favorite team to root for,” Fulse said. “I think they’re very close to being a great team again and Jacory Harris will have a good year. If he stays injury free, I think they’re going to win the ACC championship.”

In an effort to look deeper into each school he has under consideration, Fulse has recently been doing research into how they all have utilized their tight ends over the years.

“When I look at the school, I go back into their history a little bit,” Fulse said. “Some coaches tell me that they get the tight ends the ball but when I look it up, they really don’t. I do the research so I can ask the right questions when they come up.”

Fulse continued on to a couple schools in particular and what he noticed about their results at the tight end position.

“Well obviously I know about the history of tight ends at Miami,” Fulse said. “I know that they get tight ends the ball, I mean Jeremy Shockey and all those guys went first round. I don’t even need to need to research Miami like that because I know their history. With Florida State, I checked into Coach Jimbo Fisher when he was at LSU. They got the ball to the tight ends a decent amount. A couple schools out there are better with that and a couple schools, I haven’t heard anything about their tight ends.”
 07-17-2010, 10:06 AM         #6764
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Fort Pierce Central defensive end Giorgio Newberry has quickly become a wanted man. He has over 34 offers to his name. So far Newberry is not giving away too many hints about which team holds the edge. Earlier today, FlaVarsity caught up Newberry. We found out which teams currently hold the edge, what visits could be coming up, and when a final decision could actually happen.

When it comes to recruiting, many hopeful Division I prospects worry about receiving 'the' offer they've been waiting for. However, Fort Pierce Central DE Giorgio Newberry will not have that problem. He holds big time offers from the likes of Clemson, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, not to mention offers from all of the big three in the sunshine state with Florida, FSU and Miami all pushing hard for the 6-foot-6, 255 pound standout. At this point, those schools will have to wait a little while before Newberry makes his choice.

"I haven't added too many new offers. I plan on trimming my list to 10 teams very soon. The main criteria I'll look for is how comfortable I'll be playing there for four years, coaching stability, competing for championships, and how they develop players as a coaching staff."

Newberry also admitted that most of his official visits will be out-of-state programs. But which schools could possibly be in his visit plans?

"I would say Tennessee and LSU are recruiting me the hardest with the out of state teams. I talk with Coach Gonzales from LSU quite often and have a good connection with him. He's trying to get me to come over for a visit very soon. I know they have a summer camp coming up, but because of me taking college classes, I probably won't be able to make it at this time. LSU will be a school I take an official visit too though. Clemson, Alabama, and Tennessee are also places I want to take an official visit."

While the out of state programs battle it out, they appear to have their work cut out for them.

"I would say the Big Three , (Florida, FSU and Miami) all standout the most. I feel very comfortable with the staff for each one and all have done a great job at developing players."

Ready for FNL
While Newberry won't be able to attend LSU next weekend, he will make an appearance at the Friday Night Lights event at the University of Florida. He admits to being pretty anxious about seeing how he stacks up against the top talent.

"I plan on being at Friday Night Lights. I'm really excited about it because that's the best of the best. I went last year and had a lot of fun. I don't really feel pressure coming into this event despite knowing there's a lot of four or five star talent. You can't focus on the names, but more along the lines that they are just another lineman or player you're going against. It's an opportunity to see how much the hard work has paid off and get some very good coaching from the Florida staff."

The Gators have long been a team strongly in the mix and over the past few months Newberry has built a quick bond with Florida a.ssistant coach D.J. Durkin.

"Florida only recruits the best, so to get an offer from them was very important to me. I talk with Coach Durkin often and he just talks about how I could fit into their system."

Dropping by Tallahassee
Before a trip to the Friday Night Lights takes place, Newberry will take in the second session of the Jimbo Fisher Football Camp at Florida. Newberry doesn't plan to participate, but more along the lines use this visit as a chance to catch up with the FSU coaches and get to know them a little better. The trip to Tallahassee will be his third this off-season.

"Yeah, I'm going to visit FSU next week. They are holding their summer camp and I wanted to see the coaching staff again. Every time I visit there, it feels at home. This visit will give me an opportunity to talk with Coach Stoops about how they would use me in their defense. Their for defensive ends is intriguing because I'm interested in getting on the field pretty early."

With so many new Florida State coaches, Newberry has already started to build a good connection with some of the new hires on the defensive side of the ball, as well as 1st year head coach Jimbo Fisher.

"Coach Fisher when he was at LSU recruited a player with a high upside in Tyson Jackson and that worked out very well for them and they see the same type of upside in me. I like Coach Stoops and feel comfortable around him. Coach Stoops has done a great job coaching wherever he's been, so I know what he brings to the table. I also speak quite often with Coach Elliot who is the defensive ends coach. This visit will give me a chance to ask a lot of questions."

Hometown team
Not to be outdone, the Miami Hurricanes are also a very strong option and are considered the 'home' team with the UM campus only a short drive away.

"Miami is close to home, so that's always a great thing. But at the same time, they put out a lot of future NFL stars. They do a tremendous job at developing their players and that's always impressed me about Miami."

We know that Newberry will take unofficial visits to Florida State and Florida, but what about Miami?

"I haven't been to Miami yet, but I will be going there for a visit in the summer I do know that. I just don't know the exact date yet. This is why I prefer taking all my official visits out-of-state because I can get over to Miami easily anytime I want. I like the Miami coaching staff, so I'm looking forward to seeing more once I take a visit in the summer."

So when can we expect a final decision on Neberry's college choice?

"I would say the plan is to have it during the season. I want to have a chance to see all the schools, but I would also say that once I the season begins I should have a leader. If I don't make a decision during the season, it will be a little later."
 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM         #6765
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Recruiting Blog: 7/17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Georgia held their prospect showcase camp on Friday night and one of the top standouts was 4-star DE prospect Anthony Chickillo. At 6-3 and 230 pounds, Chickillo has become a national recruit and is currently favoring the Canes. He plans to attend Florida's prospect event next Friday night as well. His father played for Miami and is expected to be in this year's class. It's encouraging to see him doing so well during this offseason at various places.

* 4-star CB prospect Nick Waisome recently narrowed his list down to seven and Miami was on it. However, he told us two days ago that the Canes arent in his top five. That's probably because the Canes aren't recruiting him as hard as the others, like Florida. At 5-10, Waisome lacks ideal size and while he has an offer from the Canes, appears to be a backup plan to players like Robinsen Therezie and Jabari Gorman. The Canes already have a commitment from 4-star corner Albert Louis-Jean, a 6-1 kid from Mass.

* 4-star S prospect Marquise Lee is rated the top player in California at his position. USC and UCLA haven't offered him yet but pretty much everyone else, including Miami, has. He told Scout earlier this week that he plans to check out Miami at some point for an official visit. He's teammates with 5-star WR prospect George Farmer, another player who has an offer and plans to visit here later in the year. It's hard to tell how good Miami's chances will be until those kids visit here.

* 4-star WR prospect Sammy Watkins has Miami and Clemson at the top of his current list of favorites. He grew up a Miami fan and has become what appears to be a priority for the Canes. He plans on taking a second trip to Clemson very soon and my sources in SW FL are telling me that the Tigers have inched ahead of the Canes at this time. There's a lot of time left and Miami can still certainly land him but Clemson is a serious threat and is very much in the running.

* Speaking of Clemson, an interesting situation is developing there. QB Kyle Parker, who led the Tigers to a win over the Canes last season, was drafted high in last month's MLB Draft. However, he hasn't signed with the Rockies yet. They're offering him in the 1.3-mil range (slotted) but he's looking for more, according to my sources. While that's definitely still an option, he's still a Clemson Tiger and could return next season to be their starting quarterback. A final decision will be made before the start of their fall camp but Parker returning would really bolster Clemson's team, increasing their chances for a 10+ win season. That could play a role in the decision-making process of guys like Watkins, who Miami is competing for.
Scout.com - Florida
 07-17-2010, 07:48 PM         #6766
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nike 7-on-7 South Florida Finals Review
Jul. 17, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

MIRAMAR, Fla. -- There was plenty of competition in action Saturday at Miramar Regional Park for the Nike 7-on-7 South Florida Finals.

There were 12 teams in action--four each from Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties.

Northwestern, led by UM commitments Teddy Bridgewater and Eli Rogers, defeated Glades Central, 40-34 in the championship game.

Class of 2011 Checklist

QB Teddy Bridgewater, Northwestern - Bridgewater played wide receiver the entire day catching 12 touchdown passes, the most of any player. He scored three times in the championship game showing off his athleticism and was virtually unguardable all day long. One reason he played wide receiver was to give teammate Elgin Hilliard, a rising junior, a chance to earn reps. Bridgewater took a couple playful jabs at Kelvin Benjamin telling him he should be joining him at Miami. Bridgewater will be taken his talents out west this week for the Elite 11, which he vows to show he's deserving of being the top-ranked quarterback in the nation.

WR Eli Rogers, Northwestern - Rogers was hampered by nagging injuries throughout the day and was not 100 percent, but still made his fair share of plays. Rogers did most of his work out of the slot, a role he'll a.ssume at Miami next season.

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Glades Central - Benjamin made some big plays particularly down the field including a very impressive one-handed catch over Bridgewater in the waning moments of the title game. Benjamin will only play in eight games this season because of his age, but is looking forward to being with his teammates as opposed to going to a prep school, an option he considered.

TE Nick O'Leary, Dwyer - O'Leary was productive, but not his usual dominant self as there was plenty of attention on him throughout the day. O'Leary has added over 20 pounds since the end of last season, but still looks very fluid running routes and should have a dominant senior campaign.

WR Shawn McClaine, Dwyer - McClaine (5-9, 160) is an under the radar prospect, who made a number of big plays in the open field and got free down the field as well. He's a player in the area that is looking to garner attention from college coaches in his final season.

Class of 2012 Checklist

WR Jaime Wilson, Glades Central - Wilson is making a strong case to be the area's top-ranked 2012 player as he showed excellent explosiveness with and without the ball. Wilson is a solid 6-foot receiver that has nothing, but bright things in store for his future. He's going to be able to excel with plenty of attention given to Benjamin this season.

DB Cre'von LeBlanc, Glades Central - LeBlanc has been looking very impressive in the summer 7-on-7 events and is one to watch this season. In one game, LeBlanc recorded three interceptions and finished with four on the day.

Class of 2013 Checklist

DB William Likley, Glades Central - Likley did a nice job on the offensive side of the ball catching short touchdown passes.
 07-18-2010, 02:19 AM         #6767
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
UM Makes Cut With DT Peat
Jul. 18, 2010

Defensive tackle Todd Peat Jr. from Corona Del Sol High in Tempe, Arizona, had always planned on cutting his list by the middle of the summer, and now he has done just that.

Peat (6-3, 295), a U.S. Army All-American selection, listed off the eight programs that still have a chance to reel him in.

“It’s pretty much even between Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Nebraska, Oregon State, Miami, Wake Forest, and Stanford,” Peat said. “They all have a good combination of football and academics and that’s something important to me. Eventually you can’t play football anymore so you might as well leave college with a good education. The other thing is that they’re all schools where the coaches have told me that I’ll have the opportunity to play early.”

Peat reviewed the schools he has seen already, the schools he is guaranteed to visit, and when he hopes to make his decision.

“I’ve been to Arizona State, Arizona, Wake Forest, Stanford, and Oregon State,” Peat said. “I’m actually not going to be able to see anymore schools until I start my official visits in September. Right now, Nebraska is the only school I know will be one of my officials for sure. I’m doing the Army All-American game so I want to commit there.”

Peat has always maintained that location will not put any limitations on his choice, but with both of the home state schools still in the running, he sees no potential drawbacks in staying close to home.

“Well it would be great having my family and friends seeing my college career,” Peat said. “I would have a great fanbase being a hometown kid so it would be nice. It’s not a huge factor but there’s nothing wrong with it either, not at all.”

Peat is very complimentary of linebackers coach Micheal Barrow and the way Miami has been recruiting him since they offered in late May.

“The coach recruiting me is Coach Barrow and he’s a real good guy,” Peat said. “He’s a players coach, and he played at Miami himself. He’s a really energetic guy and they’re doing a really good job recruiting me as of now. He tells me about the culture they have there, with the brotherhood, and how the players get treated right. He said the program has great tradition and I’ve seen the positive direction that they’re headed in.”

Peat continued on by mentioning that the academic side of Miami is the other main factor that attracts him to a future in Coral Gables.

“Yea everything that he (Coach Barrow) tells me is good for sure, but they’re also a good academics school too,” Peat said. “They’re one of the top academic schools in the ACC in a lot of areas. I really want to look and see where I would fit in at Miami, playing wise like who is in front of me and who they have right now.”

Peat didn’t put up huge numbers as a junior with 31 tackles and 4 sacks, but an injury limited him to just around half of the season.
 07-18-2010, 02:27 AM         #6768
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Seantrel Henderson Speaks

Last December, Seantrel Henderson experienced a first.

Before basketball practice, he and his father, Sean, played a game of one-on-one. First one to 15 wins. With one flick of the wrist and pop of the net, Henderson had finally done it.

"He beat me for the first time," Sean Henderson said, disappointed yet also proud. "It was 15-13. I missed a couple jumpers, but he still beat me."

Father-son stories as such should dominate topics concerning the Hendersons, but often go unnoticed when talking about the nation's top high school football player, who is the prize of the Miami Hurricanes' 2010 recruiting class.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The focus is mostly on how Henderson, a 6-foot-8, 350-pound tackle, was called attention-hungry for dragging out his recruitment, and his father supposedly using his son to further an aspiring career as a rap artist.

They say they are no different than any other tandem that grew up playing catch in the back yard.

"Me and my dad have a great relationship," said Seantrel Henderson, who played at Cretin-Derham Hall in St. Paul, Minn. "We're cool. We're a team. That's how I look at it."

Not everyone feels the same way.

Sean Henderson, 37, looks like Ludacris when he answers the door. His hair is braided. His shorts are baggy and he sports a silver chain. His youthful appearance could pass for a grad student.

The "elder" Henderson is a member of a rap group that has performed in the Minneapolis area for more than a decade. When Seantrel Henderson announced on National Signing Day he would attend USC, an ugly rumor began about the reasoning for the decision.

The buzz on Internet message boards across the country and local radio was Sean Henderson forced his son to sign with USC for personal gain. What better spot to propel a music career than in Hollywood, and with the help of a son who recruiting analysts are comparing to former 'Cane Bryant McKinnie.

The Hendersons said the accusations are untrue, believing the rumor was started by schools that failed to land Seantrel.

"I've been doing music since I was 15 or 16 years old," Sean Henderson said. "I'm going to do music for the rest of my life. This is what me and my guys do. It has nothing to do with my son's career. I would never compromise my son's situation for my own gain. That's just who I am as a father."

The negativity continued when Henderson delayed signing with USC because of pending NCAA sanctions. He eventually signed in March, but requested a release from his letter-of-intent earlier this month when the penalties were more extreme than expected.

"I didn't' want to walk into a situation like that when I still had a chance to go somewhere else where everything was all good," Seantrel Henderson said. "Conversations with USC went back and forth. They were trying to convince me USC still was a good place to go. You can say what want, but the facts are the facts."

That left hope for UM, fortunate to be in the picture. The Hurricanes narrowly missed the list of schools Henderson would visit. That changed when his Oklahoma trip in December was canceled because his high school team was still in the playoffs.

Enter a visit to Coral Gables, the week before Signing Day, and at a time the NFL Pro Bowl was being held in South Florida. Henderson was greeted by several former UM stars, even hanging out with McKinnie.

Still, Henderson remained silent for months, refusing all interview requests until deciding on Miami on July 9.

"I got people saying I did it then because it was around the time of LeBron James [signing with the Heat]," Henderson said with a laugh. "I mean, how was I supposed to know he was coming to Miami? They think I want too much attention. If I wanted too much attention, I would've taken every interview or every call I've gotten. I've been low-key the whole time."
 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM         #6769
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
O'Leary Talking to Bridgewater
Jul. 19, 2010

By: David Lake

MIRAMAR, Fla. -- The recruiting effort of Miami quarterback commit Teddy Bridgewater was in full swing Saturday during the South Florida Nike 7-on-7 Tournament.

Bridgewater has been doing a lot of recruiting on Miami’s behalf during many 7-on-7 events across the country and on Saturday his focus was on Palm Beach Dwyer tight end Nick O’Leary.

During a break between games on Saturday, Bridgewater and fellow UM commit Eli Rogers worked their way over to O’Leary and talked up Miami.

“I have talked to Teddy a couple of times,” O’Leary said. “He tells me about Miami and how he loves it down there.”

Miami currently stands in O’Leary’s top four schools along with Florida State, Georgia, and Alabama.

O’Leary admits he doesn’t know Bridgewater that well, but he is impressed with his talent.

“I don’t really know much about Teddy other than he is a good player,” O’Leary said. “I watched him on TV at the Oregon 7-on-7 thing and he did good there. It is important for me to come in with a good quarterback.”

O’Leary says he doesn’t know much about Florida State’s quarterback commitment.

“The only quarterback I know about that will be at FSU after this year is E.J. Manuel,” O’Leary said.

O’Leary is arguably the top tight end prospect in the nation this year. As a junior last year, O’Leary helped lead Dwyer to a State Championship while catching 43 passes for 679 yards and seven touchdowns. As a sophomore, O’Leary totaled 27 receptions for 522 yards and six touchdowns.

On Saturday, O’Leary and Dwyer made it to the semifinal round of the South Florida Nike 7-on-7 Tournament before being eliminated by Glades Central.

“It was fun just like every other 7-on-7. It helps us as a team get better with our skills and it helps us play better together.”

O’Leary (6-4, 230) has put on 20 pounds since the end of his junior season and this summer he is working on getting more separation with the added weight.

“I just want to get better on getting separation on my routes.”

At this point, O’Leary says he doesn’t have a timetable on when he would like to make a commitment.
 7 years ago '05        #6770
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,045 | Props total: 641 641

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

this how ima roll into columbus
 7 years ago '08        #6771
FSU_CANE561 
space
space
$407 | Props total: 11 11
 Deeangoe said:

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

this how ima roll into columbus

07-20-2010, 10:28 AM         #6772
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Even though some players will not show up in the rankings, a handful could potentially make huge impacts during the 2010 season. So, to kick of this year's preseason player rankings, I'll start with those guys, The Wildcards. Here they are:

1. Seantrel Henderson, OL, Fr.: If LeBron James was the biggest summer arrival on South Beach, Seantrel Henderson should be considered the same in Coral Gables. After picking USC over Miami and Ohio State on National Signing Day, the nation's No. 1 high school offensive lineman backed out on the Trojans after they were hit hard by NCAA sanctions earlier this month. Now, he's become the biggest addition to the Hurricanes' 2010 signing class. a.ssuming there are no surprises with the NCAA Clearinghouse, Henderson should report for classes Aug. 3 and be in uniform when coach Randy Shannon starts asking guys to fly around. Henderson isn't quite like the other offensive linemen UM has recruited in the past decade. He probably will not need much time at all to get bigger or stronger. At 6-8, 340-pounds, his toughest adjustment will likely be getting used to the speed he's seeing on the other side. With UM loaded with talent at defensive end, he'll be tested quickly. It's hard to imagine Henderson pushing Orlando Franklin out of the starting left tackle job by the season opener on Sept. 2. But could Henderson start at right tackle ahead of redshirt freshman Jermaine Johnson (6-6, 310) and sophomore Ben Jones (6-5, 300)? Absolutely. At the very least, Henderson should split time.

2. Chase Ford, TE, Jr.: Ford would have benefitted largely from participating in the spring and learning offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's system. But the NCAA denied a waiver the 6-7, 250-pound native Texas needed to transfer in from Kilgore Community College, the same school which produced former Cane Kevin Everett. So, Ford spent his spring staying in shape and working as a maintenance man at his old high school. Ford won't have to cut the lawn at UM, but he will have to make a Jimmy Graham-like transition to the Canes' offense. Other than senior Richard Gordon (4 catches, 32 yards), Miami only has redshirt freshman Billy Sanders (6-4, 248) and two other freshmen -- Clive Walford and Asante Cleveland -- to throw out there at tight end. Ford won't be the No. 1 tight end on Day 1, but he should become it rather quickly. The issue becomes how much he really helps the offense. Graham caught 17 passes for 213 yards and five touchdowns last season. Dedrick Epps caught 19 for 247 yards and 3 scores. With Miami loaded at receiver, Ford figures to probably do right around the same as those two as the tight end position is used less overall.

3. Graig Cooper, RB, Sr.: Quarterback Jacory Harris told reporters last week he's optimistic Graig Cooper will be back to help the Hurricanes at some point this season. That was hard to imagine back in December when Cooper's blew out his right knee -- almost Willis McGahee style -- returning a kick in the Champs Sports Bowl loss to Wisconsin. Cooper, Miami's leading rusher each of the past three seasons, had surgery not long after the injury and has been rehabbing hard with the hope of coming back to see real playing time. Tight end Dedrick Epps did it last season. But until we see otherwise, it's hard to imagine Cooper, a player who relies so much on his cutback ability, making a big impact in 2010. He could ultimately make his way back later in the season and try to prove his ready for the next NFL Draft. But my thought process is Shannon will urge him to hold off until 2011 when he could return fully healthy and have a young crop of running backs behind him. For those of you thinking Cooper's loss is no big deal, remember two things: 1. Mike James and Lamar Miller have a combined 15 college carries in their career (all belong to James). 2. Cooper finished fourth in the ACC last season in all-purpose yards.

4. Latwan Anderson, ATH, Fr.: Just like Henderson, Anderson was a post-signing day gift for UM. A 5-10, 170-pound freshman who signed a track scholarship with the Canes, Anderson finished his senior year in Ohio with 66 tackles, four forced fumbles and 14 picks and was considered a 5-star recruit by Rivals. He could potentially help Miami all over the field, much like Devin Hester once did, playing on defense, offense and special teams. Considering how much help UM could use at cornerback, it's hard to imagine the staff pushing him to receiver, where he would be behind a long list of talented players. If Anderson ends up in the secondary, he could always switch to receiver later on in his career. My thought is we see Anderson mostly on special teams, dime situations and maybe once or twice on a few trick plays or reverses on offense. Either way, I think we will see at least one or two freshmen play a lot in the secondary with numbers down at cornerback.

5. Kevin Nelson, LB, Fr.: If there is a position on defense with more questions surrounding it than middle linebacker, let me know. With the departure of Darryl Shaprton, Shannon let true freshman Shayon Green start the spring with the first team in the middle. The experiment didn't last long. Green was quickly replaced by senior Kylan Robinson, a 6-1, 235-pound former four-star running back with four career special teams tackles and no starts under his belt. Shannon was happy with Robinson in the spring, saying he made major strides. Although Robinson is in line to be this year's Matt Pipho (a player who waited until his fifth season to become a major contributor), he could receive a serious push from Nelson, a 6-1, 220-pound true freshman from Gainesville who scouts love. If Nelson, 20, impresses enough, there's no reason he couldn't at least share some some playing time with Robinson -- especially since Shannon seems intent on not wanting to have to move Colin McCarthy to the middle
 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM         #6773
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Recruiting Blog: 7/20
<hr style="background-color: #003300; height: 0px;" />
* 4-star DE prospect Giorgio Newberry told me earlier this week that Miami is very much in the picture for him. Interestingly, he told me back in the spring that while he was interested in the Canes, they weren't recruiting him as hard as some others. In fact, I wrote a story about how he wanted to hear more from the Canes. He says that's changed and he's been communucating more. He's never maintained a favorite, although he's hinted at FSU being one back in the beginning. I don't think he'll leave the state. He may go to Friday Night Lights at Florida this week but I think in the end this is going to be a UM/FSU battle that could come down to the wire. He plays DE, DT, and OT and could project at any of those spots. He's 6-6/250 now but will probably be 6-6/300 in two years. That could be a massive DT or an athletic LT. He says he doesn't have a preference but I believe he wants to play on defense and that's where both schools are recruiting him at. His friendship with Marcus Jackson may help UM some but that's being overblown. He knows kids at both places and will continue meeting new recruits throughout the process.

* Last week I talked to 3-star DT prospect Chris Mayes from Georgia. He said the Canes have offered and that he he'd like to get down here to check them out. He went to UGA's Dawg Night prospect camp this past Friday night and I'm told the UGA coaches, including Mark Richt, were all over him. I wasn't sure if he was a priority for them but I think they made it clear that he is. That's going to make it extra tough on the out of state schools, including Miami, as long as UGA is all over him. If that changes, it could free up some interest elsewhere but UGA has to be considered the front-runner right now.

* 4-star WR Davaris Daniels told Scout earlier this week that his top 3 choices remain Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Miami. He was scheduled to announce his decision at a press conference last month but cancelled it. Other UM recruiting sites listed him as a Miami commitment at that time, without any quotes from Daniels. At that same time, I wrote not to expect him to even take an official visit here, let alone commit. He never committed and told Scout this week that he doesn't really hear from Miami any more. In recruiting translation, that means he's off the board. The top remaining WR prospects appear to be Sammy Watkins and George Farmer. Others could emerge later but it won't be Daniels.

* 5-star DE prospect Jadeveon Clowney told Scout this week that he plans to visit Miami with one of his five trips. The Canes offered him very early in the process and it's interesting that he's now listing the Canes in his top 4. His top 2 are Alabama and South Carolina. UNC is third. He was high on Florida for awhile but that seems to have faded. His interest in Miami could too but you gotta believe the news of Seantrel Henderson picking Miami has given the canes some recruiting momentum lately. The Canes have signed Scout's No. 1-rated player two of Randy Shannon's four classes here and would've signed a third if Bryce Brown wouldve been given the opportunity to. 3 out of 4 is pretty darn impressive and reason to believe that even though it appears like a longshot, getting Clowney is a possibility. If NSD were tomorrow, I'd expect him to be a Gamecock.

* 4-star OL Brandon Shell of SC told Scout this week that he also plans to visit Miami. A 6-5 OT prospect, Shell was offered early by the Canes and is showing some interest now. Like Clowney, it's hard to judge how much interest there really is until they get him on campus for a visit. That is expected to take place later in the year. Still, it appears as though it's a longshot. Miami will likely sign just one OT in this class.
 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM         #6774
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Benjamin Developing Relationship with Bridgewater
Jul. 20, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

MIRAMAR, Fla. -- Kelvin Benjamin consistently is showing his dominance this summer.

Benjamin, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound wide receiver out of Glades Central, is tough to guard in 1-on-1 matchups during various 7-on-7 events.

Even Northwestern athletic star Teddy Bridgewater became a victim of Benjamin’s talents as the wideout leaped over Bridgewater for a one-handed grab in the championship game of the Nike South Florida 7-on-7 finals.

“We have been talking a lot ever since I committed,” said Bridgewater, who has verbally committed to Miami. “He was waiting to see what I was going to do and what the other quarterbacks are going to do.”

Benjamin says the two have developed a good bond.

“Teddy texts me a lot so we have that connection,” Benjamin said. “He’s a real cool cat especially one of those cats that you want to surround yourself around when you go off to college in that atmosphere.”

Benjamin has also been talking with UM receivers coach Aubrey Hill and wide receiver Travis Benjamin, a former Glades Central standout.

He had plans to take an unofficial trip to Florida this summer, but those plans have been cancelled.

“We were planning on going to Friday Night Lights (at Florida), but we have a 7-on-7 at Florida State so we are doing that,” Benjamin said.

Benjamin has helped lead Glades Central to a number of wins in 7-on-7 events this summer including the NFL title in Tampa. They fell to Northwestern at the Nike Event last weekend.

“We have been practicing all summer, we are basically getting our offense on track and get a connection with our quarterback,” Benjamin said. “A lot more guys are stepping up, the whole team is stepping up. Everyone here is playing well and contributing to the team. We have a lot of playmakers.”

One of the guys who is stepping up for Glades Central is 2012 wide receiver Jaime Wilson, a six-foot athletic speedster.

“He is young, but he is growing into it so fast. He is being coachable,” Benjamin said.

Because of age eligibility requirements by the FHSAA, players cannot participate in athletics when they are 19 years and nine months old. Benjamin will be that age in November meaning he will not able to play for Glades Central past the eighth game of the 10-game regular season.

After flirting with the idea of going to a prep school, Benjamin has decided to play out his senior season.

“I’m going to play the eight games and help out the team,” Benjamin said. “It doesn’t matter about the games because I already have scholarships and have proved what I can do. I’ll play the eight games and help them get to state and encourage them if they go to state.”

Benjamin is happy with his decision to stay in Belle Glade as opposed to going to a prep school in the Northeast.

“I thought about it, but when I sat down and really thought about it, I already have scholarships and I can stay at my school and graduate with my school colors,” he said.

Benjamin finished his junior season with 36 receptions for 861 yards and six touchdowns while averaging 23.9 yards a catch.
 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM         #6775
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Roberson Talks UM Visit, New Leader
Jul. 21, 2010

St. Thomas Aquinas cornerback Marcus Roberson has been a touchy topic of conversation after making early comments about not having interest in Miami because he wanted to get away from home.

Since Miami offered Roberson (6-0, 170) in May, the Canes have grown on him somewhat and things continued in a positive direction when he got his first look on an unofficial visit last week.

“I just wanted to see for myself how it was,” Roberson said. “I was able to see the team get in 7 on 7 work that morning, I think it was Wednesday. They were a quick team and they really get the work done in a short time. It was nice watching them practice and then I got the tour of the facility. They weren’t real big or anything but it was ok, it was nice.”

Roberson mentioned that he came across Coach Shannon and a couple a.ssistants as well, but really didn’t get past a brief greeting.

The highlight of Roberson’s visit was getting to see his former teammates who have moved on to college, especially his friend Keion Payne.

“I was talking to Keion Payne, being that he came from my school, and he told me about how much he likes everything there,” Roberson said. “It’s really funny to me, knowing that they came from my school and they were on our team not that long ago. I see them work out now and they go harder then we do. Linder told me that Miami is the place to be even though the workouts are tough for sure. You just have to get used to it, that’s all.”

Miami is not currently in Roberson’s top two, but he admits that they are a choice he is considering more seriously.

“If my decision was based on staying home, they would be at the top of my list but I’m still thinking about going away to another place,” Roberson said. “Auburn is number one, Florida is number two, and then you got Texas A&M, Georgia, and Miami.”

Auburn is a new school on Roberson’s radar but they have surged ahead of the Gators after a recent unofficial visit for their summer camp.

“They are recruiting me as straight cornerback for one,” Roberson said. “They’re in serious need of corners so I feel like I could play really early there. I hung out with the players there and I feel comfortable around them. They were cool and they showed me around, showed me love when I was there.”

Roberson had not taken a single unofficial visit by the time that spring practice ended in late May. He has since taken a ridiculous amount of trips to Miami, Florida, Florida State, USF, UCF, Wake Forest, Georgia, and Auburn.

“My uncle (St. Thomas Aquinas defensive backs coach Otis Mounds) has been able to take me around to see different places, that’s all,” Roberson said. “It helped me a lot because it really showed me about the environment and the people at each school. It’s about knowing if I want to wake up at that place for the next four years.”
 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM         #6776
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Atkinson Previews Upcoming UM Visit
Jul. 21, 2010

Athlete George Atkinson from Granada High in Livermore, California, is excited to get his first look at Miami tomorrow after stopping by Alabama yesterday.

The main question Atkinson (6-2, 195) is looking to get answered on his visit is in regards to which position the Miami coaches see him at.

“I’m excited to see the area, the campus, and how the coaching staff ended up getting some of their players,” Atkinson said. “I definitely want to find out if they would have me on offense or defense so that is my main question. They haven’t got into that when I’ve talked to them, they just said they like what I can do on the field.”

Heading into the visit, Miami is already somewhere among his top five, and a return trip for an official visit is likely a.ssuming he enjoys himself on Thursday.

“Right now, they’re probably up some there somewhere in my top five,” Atkinson said. “We’ll see how Thursday goes and how much I like it. Most likely I’ll come back for an official because I like what they’re doing as a program. They’re coming back pretty strong from a couple years ago.”

The main objective of this whole trip including stops at both Miami and Alabama is to see how Atkinson feels about potentially leaving Pac-10 country.

“I guess you could say I’m trying to expand my horizons because I’ve been on the West Coast my whole life,” Atkinson said. “I want to see something new and I really liked Alabama. They really have a great program so I’m looking forward to seeing what Miami has to offer.”

Atkinson went on to point out a couple differences about playing in the Southeast as well as what direction his family is pointing him in.

“The people seem to be more friendly so far down here and then there’s the humidity,” Atkinson laughed. “The weather is the biggest difference to me and the food too. My family pretty much wants me close to home, my mom’s side mostly. I have a lot of family down here on my dad’s side so it works both ways. More people want me out West but I want to see something new and in the end, it’s my decision. My family is a big influence too but we’ll see how things go.”

Atkinson is joined on the trip by his twin brother, Josh, who is a highly recruited cornerback prospect. Josh has over ten offers himself, but not from many of George’s top choices like Miami, Alabama, and USC.

“I think Miami has a little interest in Josh,” Atkinson said. “Alabama saw Josh at their camp and they were impressed but they want to see how he plays this season. USC coaches said the same thing and Miami is probably in that same position.”

The Atkinsons will finish their trip this weekend in Orlando as selections for Gridiron Kings, a 7 on 7 tournament that draws top talent from all over the country.
 7 years ago '04        #6777
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Telemaque: DBs Confident
Jul. 21, 2010

Vaughn Telemaque
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- In 2009 the Miami secondary only had five interceptions on the season.

But with an attitude and confidence change that has happened to the defensive back unit this offseason, expect more picks in 2010.

Redshirt sophomore safety Vaughn Telemaque says a lot of that confidence comes from the experience the players have received the past two seasons and now they are ready to flourish as a unit.

“Last year we were more ok with not giving up the deep ball compared to jumping short routes or jumping mediocre routes,” Telemaque said. “I think that a big plus for us this year is that we have a lot of guys with experience and they have seen all the routes. Now it is about taking chances and having fun and play like you do when you are in your backyard playing football.”

Telemaque, who played 12 games for the Hurricanes last season, totaling 48 tackles while still looking to make his first interception at Miami, says he plans on playing with more confidence this year.

“In high school I used to like to talk to quarterbacks and wide receivers and try to get in their head and play mind games with them,” Telemaque said. “I lost that knack for trying to do me. I was just trying to fit in and making sure I wasn’t messing up and things like that. This year more chances are going to be made. I want to let the quarterbacks know where I am and that they should try me. Go ahead and try me. I want those guys to come at me.”

Telemaque says he has tried to make that confidence be felt throughout the whole team this offseason as he has become more of a vocal leader.

“I feel like I can step in and be a vocal leader,” Telemaque said. “I actually have experience now, so what I say is not coming just out of the air. I can actually say that I have experience. I just want to take everybody in and make sure we all buy into the program.”

The month of spring football is another reason why Telemaque is confident going into this season. During that month, Telemaque was able to work at cornerback and gain a better understanding of all the a.ssignments in the secondary.

“I got to speak to Ed Reed when I was playing corner and he just told me that could help me understand what the corners are going through when I am at safety,” Telemaque said. “It helps you take your safety understanding to another level because you can understand all the concepts and routes of where the quarterback is trying to fit the ball.”

Telemaque likes the talent that will line up with him on defense for the Hurricanes. Telemaque believes there is a playmaker on every level of the defense this season.

“The feeling that I have is that at every position, there is no flaw,” Telemaque said. “At every position, somebody is ready to make a play and at every position somebody is going to make a play.”

Cornerback Brandon Harris is a player who has particularly impressed Telemaque this offseason with his play during 7-on-7 workouts.

“You guys are going to love Brandon Harris this year,” Telemaque said. “He has taken his game to another level with his improvement from last year.”

This summer, Telemaque has worked to jell with fellow safety Ray Ray Armstrong. Telemaque talked about what he expects out of him and Armstrong as a safety duo.

“He is a big kid and he has a great attitude and is willing to learn,” Telemaque said of Armstrong. “We all ask each other questions and work together with our positives and negatives. The best thing about Ray Ray though is that he is a winner and that carries over to a lot of people. When he speaks out, then a lot of people listen. We want to go out and be like two wild animals and go out and compete and make this team as good as we can.”

Telemaque says he knows the secondary will be ready this season because of the talent Miami brings to each 7-on-7 workout at the wide receiver position.

“You can’t hide from any wide receiver,” Telemaque said. “They will all call you out and try to show you what they do. We all feed off each other and compete. We just go at it. I think we have one of the best receiver corps in the country. I like how our offensive coordinator can use all those guys in any way because they are all so versatile.”

From Ed Reed, to Sean Taylor, to Bennie Blades, to Kenny Phillips, all the great safeties to have come out of the University of Miami have had one thing in common--they worked hard and dedicated themselves during the offseason to get better.

Telemaque says he understands that the only way to get better each year is to put in the hard work.

“If you want your name to be mentioned with the greats, you have to work as hard or harder than them and that just motivates you and pushes you to a higher level. We can work hard to keep the legacy and tradition going and be a great player.”
 7 years ago '05        #6778
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,045 | Props total: 641 641
"UM firmed up dates for the three Notre Dame games: Oct. 6, 2012, in Chicago; Oct. 8, 2016, at Notre Dame; and Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 25, 2017, in South Florida." ~ Barry Jackson, Miami Herald

:cool-smiley-009:
 07-22-2010, 12:01 AM         #6779
Dchis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Four-star WR Kelvin Benjamin of Florida (No. 144 in the ESPNU 150) appears to be even more of a lock now to commit to Miami. We told you that Florida's getting a pledge from similarly sized WR Ja'Juan Story seemed to be a sign that the Gators weren't going to wait on Benjamin, and now Benjamin tells Christopher Stock of InsideTheU.com that he won't be able to make it to Florida's Friday Night Lights camp this week as scheduled.

Benjamin continues to stay in touch with Miami WR coach Aubrey Hill and WR Travis Benjamin (no relation), who went to the same high school. Moreover, Kelvin Benjamin has developed a strong relationship with four-star QB commit Teddy Bridgewater, which Bridgewater says heated up once he committed.

"Teddy texts me a lot so we have that connection," Benjamin said. "He's a real cool cat especially, one of those cats that you want to surround yourself around when you go off to college in that atmosphere."
 7 years ago '04        #6780
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
RB Berry Ready To Carry The Load
Jul. 22, 2010

Damien Berry
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Senior running back Damien Berry is expected to enter training camp as the top running back at the University of Miami this season.

But Berry is still approaching this season like he has to scrap for every bit of playing time and every carry.

That’s because Berry doesn’t practice any other way. He takes each rep in practice like he is at the bottom of the depth chart.

To Berry, no amount of playing time is guaranteed.

“I am going to be the best running back I can be, but I know I still have to outwork Mike James and Graig Cooper and even the young players, Storm Johnson and Darion Hall,” Berry said. “I just have to keep working hard.”

“I feel like we all have to work hard for that number one spot and push each other. If I am the number one guy, then I am the number one guy.”

Berry rushed for 616 yards last season while leading the team with 8 rushing touchdowns and a 6.6 yards per carry average. Berry received most of his carries last season in the second half when defenses were worn down. This season he has prepared himself to be ready to carry the load for an entire game.

“It will be a lot different,” Berry said of his approach to this season. “I have to prepare myself to be more of a total running back that can play every down that can do it all. I will be prepared for this season with however many carries I will get this year. I feel stronger and faster. I know I am definitely stronger.”

The biggest area Berry has worked to improve this offseason is understanding his pass blocking a.ssignments.

“My pass protection has always been ok, but I want to be great,” Berry said. “The less that Jacory gets touched, that gives us a better chance to win.”

The only question mark going into the 2010 season for the offense is the three starters Miami has to replace on the offensive line. Berry says he and the offensive line know of that perception going into the season and they are looking forward showing what they can do this season.

“I know they take it personally because some of them tell me what they are going to do this year,” Berry said. “That just motivates us for this season. It is an area we do have to get better at, but our offensive line is great. I know that we have the best offensive line in the NCAA.”

With most of the skill position players returning this year, Berry has big expectations for the Miami offense in 2010.

“My expectation is for us to be great, not just good,” Berry said. “I want us to lead in passing and rushing.”

Berry says he has been impressed with the new crop of freshman running backs that have arrived this summer in Eduardo Clements, Darion Hall, and Maurice Hagens. Berry talked about what each newcomer brings to the table.

“Eduardo is a shifty, quick dude that reminds me a lot of Clinton Portis,” Berry said. “One the field he is a jokester. He is a character. Darion is more of a quiet guy that is trying to learn every detail. Maurice just sits back with Pat Hill and trying to learn the offense.”
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nov 23 - Woman goes missing after posting about upcoming Tinder date
79 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Have Found The Marshmallow For My Sweet Potato Pie
25 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Australian but lives in L.A.
28 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the ho..
321 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Of all the niggas in cinema who should’ve never died at the end of a movie/wan..
76 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Ralph Lauren 40% Off Items $125 And Better, One Day Sale Only !!!!
12 comments
24 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Tekashi69 First show in NYC (Sold Out Venue)
64 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside There's no need for us to rush it through, ohhh
39 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy