Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
73 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He got three girlfriends, could you handle that?
87 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uruguay has been hit by the Instathot nation
22 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #6521
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
• A UM official confirmed that offensive coordinator Mark Whipple indeed was upset late in the first half Saturday because coach Randy Shannon called UM's last timeout with 20 seconds left. Whipple had a play designed to gain 10 to 15 yards, and planned to call a timeout after that. . . . Defensive end Adewale Ojomo, who broke his jaw when punched by a walk-on in August, wanted to return this season, but lost too much weight to make that feasible.

• An NFL scout said cornerback Sam Shields' technique is ``horrible,'' but Shields has started six games and the staff prefers to play him over freshman Brandon McGee. . . . We hear Damien Berry, whose playing time will continue to increase, didn't get carries early in the season partly because of fumble problems in practice.

shannon needs to stop be a lil b**ch, this is my only problem with him - keepin playmakers away from the field just cuz their not fundamental, like being fundamental gets us ne where

Last edited by Deeangoe; 10-28-2009 at 02:30 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #6522
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
AL DIAZ / MIAMI HERALD STAFF
University of Miami linebacker Sean Spence reacts after sacking UCF quarterback Brett Hodges (11) in the second half on Saturday, Oct. 17, 2009 at Bright House Networks Stadium in Orlando.
Sean Spence is about to miss a game for the first time as a Miami Hurricane.

The sophomore's No. 31 jersey, replicated by Nike in two colors, might be worn by Hurricanes fans scattered around BB&T Field in Winston-Salem, N.C. But the real No. 31 -- the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Rookie of the Year -- is out for Saturday's Wake Forest game because of a knee injury.

``Hopefully, he'll return this season,'' UM coach Randy Shannon said Tuesday. ``But we just don't know when.''

Spence injured his left knee against Clemson last Saturday, then insisted he could go back in the game after halftime. He was taken out when it became apparent he was too hobbled to play. Shannon said he hasn't had surgery, and didn't elaborate or reveal the specific injury.

Quarterback Jacory Harris said he hardly could believe it. He and Spence are close friends and played together at Miami Northwestern High.

``He's kind of down about the injury,'' Harris said. ``I'd never seen Sean hurt until the beginning of the year, when he hurt his quad. Now this.

``I had never seen him him lying on the ground hurt. It kind of shocked me. I was like, `Sean, you're all right, right?' He was like, `Man, my knee keeps hurting and I can't really run.'

``Then, you know, he got back in for a second time and he really hurt himself again. He's going to be a big loss for this defense.''

BUCHANAN'S TURN No. 18 Miami (5-2, 2-2) already was without top reserve linebacker Jordan Futch, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament recently. UM will face the Demon Deacons (4-4, 2-2) with replacement Ramon Buchanan, who plays special teams and has filled in on the outside.

Spence started all seven games and played on the weak side. He is fourth on the team in tackles with 35 and has 5 ˝ tackles for loss. He also has two sacks, a pass breakup and quarterback hurry.

``Against Clemson, when Sean went down, Coach put me in and I played good,'' Buchanan said. ``I played a lot of snaps last week. I'll probably play a lot more snaps this week because we all know Sean is down for a little bit right now.''

Buchanan, a sophomore out of Melbourne Palm Bay High, is 6-1 and 215 pounds. He has nine tackles this season, mostly on special teams.

Strong-side linebacker Colin McCarthy leads UM with 49 tackles, with 6 ˝ tackles for loss, an interception, a forced fumble and pass breakup. Middle linebacker Darryl Sharpton ranks second with 46 tackles, with 3 ˝ tackles for loss.

Shannon said Buchanan ``is developing'' and ``still has some things he needs to learn and concentrate on. But he has done a great job to get himself in a situation where he can help us out.''

The other two linebackers who will rotate, if needed, are junior Kylan Robinson and sophomore Arthur Brown.

Safety Randy Phillips said Buchanan is eager for the opportunity.

``He's very athletic,'' Phillips said. ``He's light, quick on his feet, one of the faster guys on the team. His instincts are good. He plays hard without a lot of thinking and that's what we need right now, someone who is going to run, play hard, play great defense without all the hesitation.''

The uncertainty at linebacker should force UM's defensive line to compensate by being more aggressive.

The linemen have not put enough pressure on the quarterbacks this season, giving players such as Clemson's Kyle Parker lots of time to develop plays.

``We just have to get better up front,'' Shannon said. ``We have to get the right combination in there to get to the passer.''

BAILEY MOVES TO END Shannon will move Allen Bailey from defensive tackle to end this week. Bailey had two sacks last Saturday, one resulting in a Parker fumble. End Marcus Robinson scooped the ball up and ran 46 yards for UM's first defensive score of the season.

``If you get pressure, the quarterback doesn't have time to set his feet and he makes bad throws,'' Robinson said. ``We need to make more plays in the backfield to create open scenes for our linebackers. It gives them more time to see the play develop and know where to fit.''

Said Phillips: ``Plays like that excite the crowd and help the defense with motivation. We need the same thing this week to get points and get momentum and build a swag for the defense.''
 7 years ago '05        #6523
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Upset loss spurs practice intensity for Miami Hurricanes
UM was upset about its overtime loss to Clemson, and the players said they practiced hard and efficiently Tuesday in preparation for Saturday's 3:30 p.m. game at Wake Forest.

``It was great to see the guys have a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of flying around, communicating and doing the things it takes for us to have a chance to win the game,'' coach Randy Shannon said. ``I'm enthused the way we responded.''

Center A.J. Trump said the weeks following losses are very difficult.

``It's not easy,'' he said. ``Going through that whole week building up [to the game]. You want that win so bad and when you don't get it, it's just you don't watch`SportsCenter' and you can't do anything like that. You just feel horrible. You try to clear it out from your system the best you can, and by Tuesday usually you've got it out.''

• Miami had 11 penalties for 79 yards Saturday. The Canes have been penalized 57 times for 445 yards this season, an average of 63.6 a game. Only Florida State, with 58 for 509 yards (72.7 average) has been penalized more in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

``Guys are playing hard,'' left tackle Jason Fox said. ``It just comes from the aggression of the team, and we're a very aggressive, attack-style team.''

Added Fox: ``I'm not saying that's a good thing. We have to do a good job of eliminating those in games to come.''

-- SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
 7 years ago '04        #6524
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,795 | Props total: 1400 1400
 Deeangoe said:

shannon needs to stop be a lil b**ch, this is my only problem with him - keepin playmakers away from the field just cuz their not fundamental, like being fundamental gets us ne where
i diagree..fundamentals in football are huge.

for example look at our tackling fundamentals....f**kin terrible technique and so we have been horrid at tackling.

shields might be decent if he had good fundamentals
 7 years ago '04        #6525
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
the sad truth about shields is he's just not a good football player - he had plenty of chances to shine at WR and blew it, and i dont think he wouldve been a good CB even if he'd been playing there from day 1.

but fukk shields, i'm still tryin to figure out why berry was rotting on the bench and special teams the last 2 years. who cares if he fumbled in practice, when its gametime he's looked like our best running back. he's more explosive than javarris and is more physical than coop.

i'm almost positive if they gave him the rock in OT last week he wouldve punched it in.
 7 years ago '05        #6526
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
yea i know what you mean dude...but i guess cuz im talkin bout the game where i didnt see ray ray or telemaque on the field...im sure they played but i didnt see them once on the field against clemson but where everywhere for the oklahoma game
 7 years ago '05        #6527
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES _ Safety Randy Phillips is what a reporter calls a "money quote."

Any time we need a sound bite, Phillips is the answer. If an athlete's reputation were based on the way he spoke with the media, then Phillips would be Ed Reed. That's how he good is, a media playmaker.

On Tuesday, Phillips was asked about the possibility of the `Canes winning the remaining five games. That would put them at 10-2 and lock up a bid in a bowl much better than the Emerald Nuts or MPC Computers.

Phillips' response?

"Right now, what are we, 5-2," he said. "So 6-2 sounds better (than 10-2). That's how far we're looking (ahead). We're not looking to the end."

Phillips said looking too far down the road was probably the problem to begin with. If UM was truly looking past Clemson, then this is serious issue. Too many times we've heard this during the past three seasons. The `Canes get caught up in the hype. They look take an opponent too lightly.

"Maybe that was the problem," Phillips said, referring to the Clemson game. "We were slipping a little bit."

The Hurricanes this week seem more focused than usual.

UM coach Randy Shannon, who I'm told ran sprints with the team this week, has gone out of his way to only answer questions about Wake Forest. Ask about Clemson and he says, "I'm only talking about Wake Forest."

Same with the players, for the most part. They only want to look toward Saturday's game.

"It's all about Wake Forest," linebacker Colin McCarthy said. "We can't fix anything that happened (last week)."

My feeling is the `Canes will come out fired up and roll over an outmatched Wake Forest team. The question is will this be the last time they overlook an opponent or will I be writing a similar blog entry a few weeks down the road?
 7 years ago '05        #6528
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
When Allen Bailey sacked Clemson quarterback Kyle Parker and forced a fumble that Marcus Robinson returned for a touchdown Saturday, it provided the type of momentum-changing play the Miami defense needs more of.

And it wasn't surprising that Bailey was at the center of the play. He leads the team with five sacks after picking up two against Clemson, is tied with Colin McCarthy for the team lead with 6.5 tackles for losses and has forced two fumbles.

Bailey, who had five sacks in 2008 while playing mostly defensive end, began this season at tackle but has played more at end recently because of injuries to other players. He said he played about the same amount at both positions against Clemson, but coach Randy Shannon said he will be used only at defensive end on Saturday at Wake Forest (3:30 p.m., ABC).

``Right now, we're deep at defensive tackle, so we'll leave him at end,'' Shannon said.

Not many Canes successfully have mastered both positions. ``The last guy to do that was Greg Mark,'' Shannon said. ``Baraka Atkins, too.''

Bailey said he's fine playing either position, but believes he can make more impact plays at defensive end.

``You have the ability to cut the field in half at [defensive end],'' he said. ``You get more single blocks.''

Bailey, a junior, said he hopes to be used at defensive end next season. Switching back and forth hasn't been disruptive for him.

``I've got the rhythm of it now,'' he said.

BROWN'S PROGRESSWith Ramon Buchanan expected to replace injured Sean Spence at linebacker, what does highly-recruited Arthur Brown need to do to play more?

``He has to learn,'' Shannon said. ``Everybody takes a little bit longer to learn.''

Buchanan was rivals.com's No. 2 safety prospect coming out of Melbourne Palm Bay High, though he also played linebacker there. He played a lot Saturday after Spence's injury and ``coach said I did well,'' Buchanan said.

• Despite having several fast players, UM ranks 79th in punt return average at 7.7 yards per return. Thearon Collier has a 61-yard touchdown but just 20 yards combined on six other punt returns. Travis Benjamin has 57 yards on nine returns (6.3 average). Shannon said opposing punters are getting good hang time, making it ``difficult to get returns.''

• Quarterback Jacory Harris said UM puts limits on his ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage, but he said he sometimes suggests plays to offensive coordinator Mark Whipple on the sideline. ``I'll whisper in his ear,'' Harris said. ``Sometimes, he'll say, `I was thinking the same thing. You want to go with it?' The majority of the time, the play works.''

• Sophomore defensive tackle Jeremy Lewis, who hadn't played in UM's first five games, has impressed coaches with his improvement and was used in the past two games. After appearances the previous two games, UM did not use freshman Curtis Porter against Clemson, but Shannon said he will try to use him about 30 plays Saturday.
 7 years ago '05        #6529
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
ray ray and javarris are out for the wake game...coop and berry must step up

moncur is out too

Last edited by Deeangoe; 10-29-2009 at 06:13 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #6530
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
gotta hate them injuries

we should still roll tho
 7 years ago '04        #6531
booie4 
space
space
$4,877 | Props total: 589 589
 madness said:
the sad truth about shields is he's just not a good football player - he had plenty of chances to shine at WR and blew it, and i dont think he wouldve been a good CB even if he'd been playing there from day 1.

but fukk shields, i'm still tryin to figure out why berry was rotting on the bench and special teams the last 2 years. who cares if he fumbled in practice, when its gametime he's looked like our best running back. he's more explosive than javarris and is more physical than coop.

i'm almost positive if they gave him the rock in OT last week he wouldve punched it in.
You have to remember he played on an ACL tear his whole senior year of high school, after missing some his junior year to a knee injury.

Also why put the last play of the game in a Miami highlight.

Last edited by booie4; 10-29-2009 at 10:59 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #6532
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
im still pissed spence got hurt on a pus*y block.....i have never liked n*ggas being able to dive a n*ggas legs and s**t....man up and block b**ch
 7 years ago '06        #6533
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,660 | Props total: 12161 12161
ray ray is out too???

:wtf: this shyt is crazy man who the f**k has these many injures
 7 years ago '06        #6534
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Storm Johnson, the sixth-rated running back prospect in the ESPNU 150, has named his final five schools, and lists Miami as no. 1, reports Scouts Inc.'s Bill Hodge.

Rounding out Johnson's top five schools are (in order) Michigan State, North Carolina, Oregon and Penn State.

The smart money is on the Hurricanes winning out. Not only are they Johnson's top choice right now, but they're the only team for which he could name a firm visit date. Also, top rushing senior Javarris James will be graduating this year, opening up some potential carries for Storm. With Johnson's decision said to be only a month or so away, it's going to take a major push by one of the other schools to keep Johnson from becoming Jacory Harris' right hand man next season.
The Plot Thickens......
 7 years ago '04        #6535
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Miller Time Will Come in 2010
Oct. 30, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Lamar Miller
MIAMI, Fla. -- While at k!llian High School, Lamar Miller inscribed the words ‘Miller Time’ on the bottom flap of his shoulder pads.

He came to the University of Miami with high expectations after rushing for 1,719 yards and 22 touchdowns as a senior at k!llian.

Despite a productive fall camp resulting in a number of big runs in practice, Miller found himself sixth on the depth chart at tailback. He made the travel roster, but after not seeing action in the first two games, running backs coach Tommie Robinson informed him that he would redshirt this season.

“At first I didn’t want to get redshirted, I was mad about it,” Miller said. “But then I talked it over with my mom and dad and they said it might be the best thing for me so I just took it. But I came here to get in the game and help the team win, but that didn’t work out.”

Watching from the sidelines hasn’t been easy for Miller as the team is off to a 5-2 start with a rushing attacked ranked 74th nationally.

“It’s been tough because I feel I can help the team more, but coaches told me I shouldn’t waste a year,” said Miller, who routinely scores touchdowns on the scout team and reels off big runs.

So ‘Miller Time’ will have to wait until 2010 when he could compete for a lead role along with Damien Berry, Lee Chambers, and fellow 2009 signee Mike James as Javarris James will be gone due to graduation and junior Graig Cooper could leave early for the NFL Draft.

“Next year I’m planning on having a big season,” Miller said. “Me and Mike James have been talking about it. We feel that it is going to be our year next year. We are just keeping our confidence up and talk to each other and help each other out. We are still looking forward to this season, but we are waiting on next year.”

When it is Miller’s time, he says fans can expect to see, “power, breakaway speed, and a lot of home runs.”

With a number of young, talented players on the roster including quarterback Jacory Harris, wide receivers Travis Benjamin, Aldarius Johnson, and LaRon Byrd, linebacker Sean Spence, cornerback Brandon Harris, and safety Ray Ray Armstrong, the future looks bright for the Hurricanes, which excites Miller.

“Yeah I’m excited (about the future),” Miller said. “We should win a national championship the rest of my years here because we have the talent. We just have to stay focused and stay humble and don’t let the big stuff get to us.”

Individually, Miller has his eyes set on Willis McGahee’s single-season school-record of 1,753 yards, set in 2002.

“Yeah I am planning on getting Willis McGahee’s record, he has the season record and I’m aiming for that,” Miller said. “I think he had 1,700 yards or something like that. That’s my goal.”

Head coach Randy Shannon has been impressed with Miller during practices, but with a stable of capable backs, there is no need for Miller in his opinion.

“He’s doing well. He’s getting better and better each week,” Shannon said. “I’m kind of excited about him. When we need him, we’ll use him. But until then we don’t want to just blow him on playing him on just kickoff returns or something like that. He’s been showing a lot of great things since camp. He’s getting better and better and we are excited about what he’s doing.”

Junior cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke was impressed with what he saw from Miller during fall camp before Miller was relegated to scout team duties.

“He has vision,” said Van Dyke in August. “He is big and he has vision and he holds the ball high and tight. I thought he was a 4.5 40 guy, but he was pulling away from guys. He is special.”

Miller thought he did well during fall camp and has been paying extra attention to his development in pass protection.

“During camp, it was a good experience,” Miller said. “I needed to improve on some things, but other than that I think I did good. Right now I’m trying to improve on my blocking and reading the blitzes. I’ve been doing good on scout team. I’ve been giving the defense a good look and making myself better and making them so they are ready for the next opponent. College is a little bit faster and the blocking scheme is different.”

Freshmen always have to adjust to the speed of the game coming in from high school as well as the detailed playbook of the offense. Miller says he has picked up on Mark Whipple’s creative playbook.

“I understand the playbook,” Miller said. “At first I didn’t understand the playbook, but now I’m coming along with it so I’m good with all of that.”

Miller, who stands 5-foot-11, came to Miami in the fall at 203 pounds. Two weeks ago, Miller had gained 13 pounds and was up to 216 pounds due to “eating so much and wasn’t doing too much in practice”. But he shed the extra pounds and is now down to 209 with his target weight between 205-210 while maintaining his game-breaking speed.

Off the field, Miller is concentrating on his schoolwork and spending time with fellow freshmen Mike James, A.J. Highsmith, and Jamal Reid.

“We have a great relationship, Miller said. “The four of us are together most of the time and sometimes Ray Ray. We have a great relationship.”

Miller and Reid, who is also redshirting this season, have nearly all of their classes together.

“He’s a funny guy,” Miller said. “He talks real fast so I just be laughing at some of the things he says.”

Reid, a safety from Mayo, Fla., has also enjoyed getting to know Miller.

“He’s one of those laid-back cool type-of-dudes,” Reid said. “He gets crazy sometimes and likes to joke around a lot and have fun.”

While Reid is planning on being busy with playing on the baseball team in the spring, Miller is contemplating whether or not to run track, where he was consistently a 10.5-10.8 sprinter in the 100-yard dash at k!llian.

“I’m debating right now should I run or shouldn’t,” he said. “It depends on how my grades are this semester. If I do good, then I’ll probably run. But if I didn’t do too good, then I probably stay off and track and stay focused on school in the spring.”

Miller will also have a decision on whether or not he wants to keep his No. 27 jersey or look for a new number although Vaughn Telemaque wears No. 7, Miller’s number in high school.

“Twenty-seven is a good number,” he said. “I am debating, should I changed it next year or should I just keep it my whole college career. I don’t know yet.”

Hurricane fans will have to wait until next year for ‘Miller Time’, but as the saying goes, ‘All good things are worth waiting for’.
 7 years ago '04        #6536
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Harris Leads Nation in Pass Deflections
Oct. 30, 2009

By: David Lake

Brandon Harris
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- University of Miami cornerback Brandon Harris is the nation’s leader with 12 passes defended.

But Harris isn’t satisfied with leading the country in passes defended. He wants to lead the nation in interceptions.

“I am one of the nation’s leaders in pass breakups, but that is not my goal,” Harris said. “I want to be one of the nation’s leaders in interceptions. I am just going to have to work harder. It shows that I am on the right rack, but I still have a long way to go.”

Harris has one interception on the year and he feels like he has had opportunities to make more interceptions, but they haven’t bounced his way.

“I have had opportunities and I had one this year that was called back,” Harris said. “With some of those pass breakups I think I need to be more aggressive and go for the pick. People remember interceptions, not pass breakups.”

Miami’s defense currently ranks 32nd in the country, allowing 194 yards per game and nine touchdowns. With all the new players that have played in the secondary this season like Sam Shields, Harris says he likes the way the pass defense has played.

“I am very pleased with the pass defense,” Harris said. “Those guys are coming in and doing more than what they were expected to do. We have a lot of young guys and new guys. Sam Shields is new to the position and a lot of people don’t realize it takes years of experience to master it. I think DeMarcus Van Dyke has improved as much as anybody on this team. He makes a big play in every game to help us out.”

Miami’s secondary though is coming off their poorest performance of the season, allowing 326 yards passing and three touchdowns. Harris talked about what needs to change this week for the secondary to play better against Wake Forest.

“Just being on the same page and not allowing big plays,” Harris said. “That was the gameplan coming in and with a team like Clemson and the explosiveness they have on offense, you can’t let them make big plays like that because it will keep them in the game.”

This week Miami is facing one of the top quarterbacks in the ACC in Riley Skinner, who leads the ACC with 16 touchdown passes.

“He looks very disciplined,” Harris said. “He likes to throw a lot of short routes and check downs. I haven’t seen him throw too many interceptions on film He looks very disciplined and confident in his receivers.”

The defense will be challenged this week due to the absence of linebacker Sean Spence because of an injury he sustained against Clemson.

“It is going to take a huge defensive effort to help fill the role for Sean,” Harris said. “He played a huge role for the defense with his communication and the way he helped everybody get lined up. We are going to have to focus on our a.ssignments and hopefully everybody takes that approach and knows their own a.ssignments.”
 7 years ago '04        #6537
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
QB Harris Wants to Limit Mistakes
Oct. 30, 2009

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Jacory Harris and coach Randy Shannon look to get back to their winning ways on Saturday.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- He’s not perfect. He doesn’t claim to be, but people seem to expect him to always be perfect, never make a mistake and always be on top of his game.

But University of Miami quarterback Jacory Harris knows the truth. He knows that he will make mistakes, he will throw interceptions, he won’t always make the right read, but the key is limiting those mistakes, limiting the interceptions, keep them to a bare minimum while making great plays as well.

And for Harris, it’s always been about bouncing back from his mistakes. He did that very thing after throwing an interception for touchdown only to throw a 69-yard touchdown pass one play later to Travis Benjamin.

“I am the type of guy that, I don’t know, I look at it, people come to me and say you must have a lot of pressure on your back, but it’s a part of a game, there are quarterbacks that have done worse and quarterbacks that have done better it’s how you bounce back,” Harris said. “Interceptions aren’t okay, but at the same time you got to bounce back and help your team.”

Being successful though has always been a part of Harris. Losing is something that’s rarely happened to him, but it happened for the second time this season and when it did happen against Clemson, Harris was left a little numb to the situation, certainly shocked by it.

“It is tough, almost like losing your dog, you sit there and like, I don’t know I was standing up when I seen Kyle Parker throw the crossing route, he caught it and he scored, I was like offense on the field, and even though I knew the game was over, come on offense has to be on the field and know we have one more drive, I sat down and thought I can’t believe this,” Harris said. “Clemson is a great team. That was a great opponent, we came into the week knowing we was going to face someone that didn’t have just someone you could just run over, they had good players at every position.”

While there is still some shock because of the loss, Harris said the team knows it has to move forward.

“You see people in the locker room say damn, I can’t believe we lost still, but in practice, everyone is running around full speed, having fun, this can’t ever happen again, we dug ourselves too deep of a hole and we can’t let it go any deeper,” Harris said.

But don’t think Harris is going to change his approach to the game. He’s going to continue to be aggressive, continue to try to make plays, throw the ball downfield and lead Miami to wins. What he’s done has worked so far though as the ‘Canes are 5-2 when few outside of the program thought they could be in this position prior to the season.

“I am still approaching the game the same, we are 5-2, we are still in a comfortable situation, but we’re not where we want to be at, if being aggressive and sometimes making the correct reads got us to 5-2, I just have to limit my mistakes. I am the type of person that can put it behind me and get better,” Harris said. “My confidence level is still high and that’s what keeps me confident, my team believes in me, I believe in my team, mistakes happen that’s a part of football, we’ve won 5 games doing the things correct and they know we can do the things the right way, they know we’ll get the job, that’s basically what it is.”

“Now it’s time to move on to Wake Forest and pay attention to them, study what they are showing and go up there and take care of business.”
 7 years ago '04        #6538
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
RT Pipho Big in Big Games
Oct. 29, 2009

By: David Lake

Matt Pipho
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- When it comes to playing in big time games against big time defensive linemen, right tackle Matt Pipho has stepped up this year.

Against Clemson and Oklahoma--two teams who have had the best defensive lines Miami has seen this year--Pipho was one of the top linemen for UM.

Coach Randy Shannon says he has been impressed with the way Pipho has played against his biggest competition.

“Everybody downgrades Pipho, but we see a lot in Pipho,” Shannon said. “We see he can get things done for us and it shows. In big games he steps up. Now he needs to be consistent on every game and not take time off.”

Pipho says he was confident in how he and the offensive line prepared for star Clemson defensive ends DeQuan Bowers and Ricky Sapp.

“As an offensive line I thought we prepared well last week,” Pipho said. “I was confident in how we prepared, but we didn’t get it done so I didn’t play good enough. I made less mistakes than I usually do. Everybody makes mistakes, but there are still mistakes being made.”

Pipho, though, wasn’t thrilled with his performance against Clemson.

“We have two losses now, so it was not good enough,” Pipho said.

Because Miami does not have much depth now on the offensive line, Pipho has had to play nearly every snap on offense from start to finish.

“It is not that bad,” Pipho said. “It is nothing anything near summer conditioning.”

Against Central Florida two weeks ago, Pipho and the offensive line did not have a good performance. Miami allowed six sacks to UCF.

“Central Florida’s ends were some of the toughest I have faced all year,” Pipho said. “It is not like I didn’t get up for them. They were well coached. Clemson was well coached too, but they are a different type of defensive line and more suited for guys like me.”

One area Miami will need to clean up this week against Wake Forest is the penalties that are committed. UM ranks 105th in the country, averaging eight penalties per game. If the offensive line can manage to limit their holding penalties and false start penalties, it would go a long way toward cutting down those penalties.

“We can’t blame it on one unit or one person,” Pipho said. “There is a lot of mistakes. We have to fix them and move forward.”
 7 years ago '05        #6539
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Lately, Jacory Harris' emotions have fluctuated almost as much as the score in last weekend's Clemson game.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes lost to the Tigers 40-37 in overtime.

On Monday, Miami's sophomore quarterback was named a semifinalist for the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, the oldest prize that honors the top college quarterback.

On Tuesday, Harris was reminded during the Hurricanes' weekly news conference that he leads the Atlantic Coast Conference in interceptions with 10 -- three against Clemson.

On Wednesday, an ACC teleconference moderator told reporters Harris was ranked 10th nationally in passing efficiency.

``People always come up to me and say, `I know you must have a lot of pressure on your back, and you must worry about this and worry about that,' '' Harris said. ``I'll be like, `It's part of the game. There are quarterbacks who have done worse and quarterbacks who have done better. It's just how you bounce back.' ''

Harris seems to be handling the recent loss, and any related criticism, the same way he handles his offense: with a calm, steely resolve to overcome and look toward the next challenge. For the No. 18 Canes (5-2, 2-2 ACC), that challenge will begin at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Wake Forest (4-4, 2-2).

Harris said his interception lapses have been somewhat of a surprise, though he vows to keep progressing from his mistakes. The Demon Deacons, ranked 47th in pass defense, have five interceptions.

Before the three picks against Clemson (one of the passes deflected off receiver Leonard Hankerson's hands) Harris had an interception-free game at UCF -- after throwing five the previous three games. He has completed 122 of 189 passes (64.6 percent) for 1,774 yards and 13 touchdowns. Being sacked 18 times hasn't helped.

UM coach Randy Shannon said the interceptions are all part of Harris' growing pains. But Shannon was not as tolerant after the loss to Clemson.

THREE TOO MANY

``Sometimes when you start getting in a [bad] rhythm you start going and going and going,'' Shannon said. ``No matter how you call it, the three interceptions he had is three too many.''

Harris said he studies his game film, evaluates himself and then adjusts.

``There's a lot to learn,'' he said. ``There are a lot of things to look at when you're on the field; a lot of stuff to look at while you have the rush of the defensive linemen.

``It's not random. I know in the [Clemson] game there were some interceptions I was trying to take a chance on. Sometimes the ball doesn't fall the right way. Some can be tipped. Some are Hail Marys before halftime. The other one was a missed read by me.''

Harris said the Clemson loss was particularly hard to get past.

``It was tough,'' he said. ``Almost like losing your dog. I was standing up at the time when I saw Kyle Parker throw the [winning] crossing route and when he caught it and he scored, I was like, `Come on! The offense has got to be on the field. I know we have one more drive.' Then I just sat down and was like, `I can't believe this.' ''

STILL COMFORTABLE

He said he takes full responsibility for the interceptions, but he's still going to approach the game the same way.

``I don't want to change,'' Harris said. ``We're 5-2. We're still in a comfortable situation, but we're not where we want to be at. If being aggressive and making correct reads but sometimes slipping up got us at 5-2, I have to keep doing it but just try to lower my mistakes. The confidence level is still high and that's what keeps me confident, because I know my team still believes in me, and I still believe in my team. Mistakes happen. That's a part of football.''
 7 years ago '06        #6540
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
good looks yall

cant wait for lamar miller :wow: :wow: :wow:
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
85 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
59 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
139 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy finishes whole pizza while getting drilled by Chris Hansen
158 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
51 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside BOSKOE100 mad at SOULJA BOY.. say he make the BLOODS look like clowns !..
81 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Couple Arguing Married 52 Years Lol
70 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Never noticed this from Scream 1
96 comments
1 day ago