Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kanye back in the Studio with Pete Rock and a bunch of Nintendo Wii Games
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
MMA Ronda Rousey turns off Stephen A. Smith in rousing promo for UFC 207
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #6261
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 597 597
Gainesville (FL) High School DB Devont'a Davis wasn't able to attend the UM game in person with his Godbrother, Cane commitment Kevin Nelson, so he settled for watching it on televesion.

"Miami, oh man, those boys can play," Davis said. "I was surprised because everyone was expecting Miami to be the underdog and they came out and fought to the end - that last drive at the end was impressive.

"Kevin called me during the game. He said I need to go there."

Davis already was a Hurricane lean before the game.

And he said the win makes it moreso.

"This made things even better for me," he said. "They're winning - everyone expected Miami to go 0-4. They just beat a team that went to the national championship last year."

Of what the win means for UM's program, Davis said, "I most definitely think Miami is back. I think they'll make it to a BCS game."

Davis says everything is status quo with his recruitment.

"It's still the same - Miami's No. 1," he said. "It's between Miami and Arkansas. Those are my highest interest right now."

Davis says he expects to have a decision in place "real soon - maybe the next couple of weeks."

He says he last talked to Cane coaches "two or three weeks ago."

"I talked to coach (Micheal) Barrow," Davis said. "We were talking about the usual, the recruiting process, things like that."
 7 years ago '06        #6262
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,706 | Props total: 12245 12245
yall better get on now because the train is leaving the station :)
 7 years ago '04        #6263
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #6264
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 P. Dedos said:
yall better get on now because the train is leaving the station :)
tell me about it...scholarships aint going to be on hold for long this yr
 7 years ago '05        #6265
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
The wait took longer than expected, and Ray Ray Armstrong started to get antsy. Who can blame him for hating the view from the bench?

He never had that view at Seminole High, quarterbacking his team to the 6A title last year as one of the top recruits in the nation while also playing defensive back. He was the headliner in the Miami Hurricanes' 2009 recruiting class, signing as a safety and drawing comparisons to the late Sean Taylor.

Given how much he played in high school, Armstrong expected to play right away with the Hurricanes. Instead, he had to wait until the fourth game of the season before he got major playing time. When he did, boy did he come to play.

Armstrong made a lasting impression in Miami's 21-20 win over Oklahoma last Saturday, delivering several bone-rattling hits that set the tone for the defense.

His first big hit came in the first quarter on his first tackle of the game, when he essentially shoved DeMarco Murray to the turf. Armstrong fist-pumped in celebration, and also breathed a sigh of relief under his helmet.

"That first hit really set the tone for me," Armstrong said after the game. "After that hit, it felt like high school, knowing I would come out and just play ball."

Armstrong ended with seven tackles and perhaps a greater role on the defense. After playing only on special teams in the first three games, coaches told him to be prepared for more playing time against the Sooners because of injuries to Randy Phillips and JoJo Nicolas.

Once he knew he would finally get to play, Armstrong went out and had his best week of practice.

"Just knowing that I really was going to go in this time, knowing everybody's eyes were going to be on me, knowing I'm a freshman and the quarterback was going to try to go at me, I had to step it up at practice, work hard and prepare for this game," Armstrong said.

Coach Randy Shannon was impressed with Armstrong's big hits, but cautioned against putting him on a pedestal just yet.

"Don't do it, I'm begging you," Shannon said. "He's not where he needs to be at."

He's certainly in a better place now. In high school, Armstrong was the superstar, the player showered with love and adoration. He threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Andre Debose with 33 seconds left in the state championship game to beat Miami Northwestern 28-21, a pass that will live forever in Central Florida history.

But when he got to Miami, he discovered it wouldn't be so easy. Armstrong says he was surprised when he didn't get to play right away. But he has used his time to learn and improve. Phillips, a senior starter, has helped him the most, serving as another coach on the field.

Armstrong's parents also told him to relax.

"They were telling me don't worry about it. You're going to get in there and when you get it don't give it back," Armstrong said.

He has drawn comparisons to Taylor because of his size (6-foot-4, 220 pounds) and his ability to deliver hard hits. Armstrong wears No. 26, the number of the late Hurricanes player, and calls the comparisons a big honor.

If he has the type of career Taylor had at Miami, Armstrong could find himself in the NFL. But first he has to keep getting better, and keep pushing for playing time.

"I felt like I took a big step, but I'm not done yet," Armstrong said.

Copyright © 2009, Orlando Sentinel
 7 years ago '05        #6266
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Whipple, Lovett share their thoughts
Around Coral Gables, getting the chance to talk to Hurricanes coordinators is special. It comes around maybe two or three times a year. Tuesday, UM coach Randy Shannon -- joyful from his team's 3-1 start, made offensive coordinator Mark Whipple and defensive coordinator John Lovett available for us. Here are some highlights from their 20-minute conversations.

> WHIPPLE WANTS MORE: For all the excitement and joy Canes fans have over the offense, Whipple certainly sees things differently from his angle. Unlike Randy Shannon, who could care less about stats, Whipple doesn't like the fact UM has been outscored this season 102-99 and he wants to start seeing his unit perform better.

"We have a long way to go. Offensively I don't think we're very good, honestly," Whipple said. "This morning everyone wants to talk we're 3-1. We've been outscored. The bottom line is stats are stats. We're 85th in the country in offense. Jacory [Harris] is [third] in the ACC. I don't see any of the guys playing that well."

"JJ played great last week, the offensive linemen at times, the receivers at times, Jacory at times. Mike James played pretty well [against Oklahoma]. The tight ends at times. It's just been inconsistent. It's probably my expectations at times. We don't get this look on this play, Jacory you have to go here. Or there's this little detail - with Aldarius Johnson, you have to run a route this way. Coaching, it doesn't seem I have had the time to get it where we need to be. It's only four games, but the players' expectations are like mine - we have to get a lot better."

> BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS: Whipple said he has developed a great relationship with quarterback Jacory Harris, similar to the kind he had with Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh and Donovcan McNabb in Philadelphia. But he says he's probably been harder on Harris than his previous two Pro Bowl quarterbacks.

"He's young, he can handle it," Whipple said. "Each guy's different. It wasn't a time to get on him when he made a bad read and threw an interception the first one [against Oklahoma]. Then he needed a `You're fine, you just missed the read, go on.' There's other times I haven't been that nice. It goes back and forth. We have a good relationship. When he plays well, it's good. When I call good plays it's good. We have a good understanding."

> HAVING PATIENCE: Whipple said the toughest thing for him has been reminding himself he's dealing with young players new to his system -- including Harris.

"I just have to remind myself it's only his fourth or fifth start in this offense," Whipple said. "If I see something from the sideline, he didn't see it's because we didn't have it in practice. Then in the film room, I'll say `You get this look, here's what I'm thinking on a third and 12 call.' That takes time with any coach or quarterback. We're just building on that. It's fun, and I have to do a better job with all those things - the receivers, what is [Leonard] Hankerson running; Mike James is a little different than [Graig] Cooper who is different than JJ. It's a little bit of a jigsaw puzzle. We're getting there, but not as fast as I'd like it to be."

> AJ HIGHSMITH UPDATE: Whipple said he thought it was a good idea his son, Spencer, transferred to UM to run the scout team because it frees up freshman A.J. Highsmith to learn the offense better. UM coach Randy Shannon said he'd like to get Highsmith playing time this week against Florida A&M as long as it's "meaningful minutes."

"We want to play AJ, but we want him to run the offense," Shannon said. "When the opportunity comes that he can run the offense and execute it like we want to, we'll play AJ. But we won't do it for him just to hand the ball off."

Shannon said Highmsith has become more comfortable with the offense and is no longer fumbling snaps.

> LOVETT STILL FEELING HIS WAY WITH HIS NEW DEFENSE: For all the up-and-down play his defense has had through four games, John Lovett talked a lot Tuesday about amount the work that has gone into getting everyone on the same page. His philosophy ultimately was to change UM's defense built around a scheme under Bill Young to a scheme built around what his players could actually do.

"What we tried to do here was they had a lot of pieces to the puzzle here. We had fixing of things schematically we needed to do. What we wanted was to play to the players' strength, give them a package they can execute," Lovett said. "On the other hand there were some wrinkles that needed to be added. But then there was terminology - what I call something - what [defensive backs] coach Wesley McGriff calls something and what the players calls something might be three different scenarios depending on how many years they'd been here. That was mixing of things that had to get ironed out. That was in the spring, we'd go out there and it's `That's not exactly what I thought.' How do we communicate that? We worked our way through that. Then it was taking what those kids knew, refining it and getting them to play fast.

"I'm still trying to learn their language and those guys are learning mine As much as I could I tried to make the language for the players what they understood and as user-friendly as possible."

> LOVETT SAID INJURIES HAVE HAMPERED FORSTON: Defensive tackle Marcus Forston has had a rough season to say the least. He's made three starts and had more offsides penalties Saturday against Oklahoma (3) than he has tackles (0) all season. But Lovett said Forston would be playing much better if he wasn't playing injured.

"I don't know the extent of all his injuries - I'd like him to be paying faster, harder, better, but everyone has pain tolerance in dealing with injuries," Lovett said. "He has several things bothering him, and how he deals with that will determine how he plays. He's a really good player. You see flashes of what he can be."
 7 years ago '05        #6267
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Miami Hurricanes DT Marcus Forston (0 tackles) off to painful start
by Jorge Milian
How tough a season is Marcus Forston having?

The Hurricanes’ sophomore defensive tackle had more offsides penalties (3) last Saturday night against Oklahoma than he has tackles (0) this season.

That’s right. Forston, who appeared to be a star in the making as a freshman, has yet to make a tackle this season.

The problem? Injuries, according to UM coach Randy Shannon.

“A lot of nicks,” Shannon said on Tuesday afternoon. “Ankles. Everything. It’s something every week with him. He just can’t get over the hump with the injury bug. It’s frustrating for him and all of us because we want him to do well. Right now he’s just not able to perform like he wants to.”

Forston has played in three games, sitting out against Virginia Tech because of a tender ankle. Shannon said on Tuesday that Forston “is very limited right now,” raising the possibility that the 6-foot-3, 310-pounder will sit out Saturday’s game against Florida A&M.

Forston, a graduate of Miami Northwestern High, was named to several freshman All-America teams last year after playing in 12 games and registering 3 sacks – fourth on the team — while making a general pest of himself for opposing offensive linemen.

But various aches and pains have reduced Forston to a non-factor through UM’s first four games.

“Banged up,” defensive coordinator John Lovett answered when asked to a.ssess Forston’s season. “How you deal with that determines how mature you are, how ready you are to play at this level and everything else. I don’t know the extent of all his injuries. I’d like him to be playing faster, harder, better. He’s got several things that are bothering him. He’s a good player. A really good player. You see flashes of what he can be. But one play does not make a player.”

I may be reading too much between the lines, but I sense UM coaches feel some frustration regarding Forston.

Asked about Forston’s three offsides penalties last week in the 21-20 victory over the Sooners, Shannon said. “Not paying attention. Jumping the snap. He wants to get something done and make a play and it’s not going to happen by doing it that way.”

Some other notes and thoughts:

…..Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple spoke to reporters on Tuesday for the first time since the regular season began. Not many newsworthy items to report except for Whipple’s unhappiness with his own offense. While fans are heaping praise on him, the 52-year-old Whipple sees something else. “I just think offensively we’re not very good, honestly,” Whipple said. “I told our guys this morning, everybody wants to talk we’re 3-1. (But) we’ve been outscored. Bottom line. What are we, 85th in the country or something in offense? Jacory Harris is seventh in the conference. I don’t see any of our guys playing that well. They’ve found a way to win and that’s the most important thing, But if we stay on this track, we’re playing somewhere in December and that’s not what we want to do.”
For those scoring at home, the Hurricanes rank 67th nationally in total offense (370.5 yards per game) and Harris is 3rd in the ACC in passing average (252.0 ypg) and 5th in passing efficiency (151.8). But you get Whipple’s drift. Whipple, hired off the staff of the Philadelphia Eagles in January, didn’t spare himself from criticism. “The play-calling hasn’t been great either,” Whipple said. At least three Top 25 opponents would beg to differ.

….The next true freshman expected to get serious playing time is cornerback Brandon McGee. McGee enrolled at school in January, but he was injured early in spring practice and didn’t get the head start afforded to Olivier Vernon and Mike James, two other true freshmen who have been major contributors. But McGee has caught Shannon’s attention with his special teams play lately. “He’s starting to do a lot of good things,” Shannon said. “He’s taken a step up like Ray Ray [Armstrong] has. It’s time for him to get going. I’m pleased with the way he’s playing special teams and he’s learning the defense a lot better. I’m kind of excited to see what he does.” McGee could eat into Sam Shields’ playing time.

…..Shannon said that defensive end Adewale Ojomo has begun lifting weights and running, but has not yet been cleared to resume practicing.

…..UM’s coaching staff wants to find some snaps for back-up quarterback A.J. Highsmith, but Shannon said it won’t be at the end of a blowout. “We want to give him some reps and get him in the game when he can throw the ball and run the offense,” Shannon said. “We don’t want to get him in a situation where he’s going to hand the football off every snap. That won’t get him better. Anybody can hand the football off.” Don’t be surprised if Highsmith enters Saturday’s game against Florida A&M earlier than you might expect.

….Safety Randy Phillips practiced on Tuesday, but starting fullback Patrick Hill did not.
 7 years ago '05        #6268
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Grading the Canes: OU Report Card
The unpredictable Miami Hurricanes are back. Just when you think you've got your finger on what this team is all about, they go out and surprise you again. What a win, what an effort, what an amazing 3-1 start and step up for Randy Shannon's program. Nobody who covers this team on a daily basis (not even the Kool-Aid drinkers) not even secret Canes fan Kirk Herbstreit thought UM would bounce back from its loss at Virginia Tech and win three of its first four tough games.

Now, the Canes control their destiny (somewhat). Win out and there's no doubt UM will play in a BCS Bowl game. Win out and get a little help with a Virginia Tech loss or two and who knows there's a chance UM could be playing in Pasadena. Here's the good news for the Canes (as long as they don't fall asleep), only two teams left on their schedule should really be tough tests -- at North Carolina (Nov. 14) and at South Florida (Nov. 28).

Here's who gets the love for the effort against OU...

> Game balls - Offense: Javarris James (his 150 yards rushing on 15 carries were huge). Defense: Sean Spence (his team-leading 10 tackles were great to see). Special teams: Matt Bosher (did a great job pinning the Sooners and making them go the length of the field). Coaches: All of them.

> Helmet stickers - Offense: Jacory Harris (had two bad early picks, but was pinpoint the rest of the way).Defense: Ray Ray Armstrong (for his big lift), Vaughn Telemaque (for his nine tackles) and the entire beat up defensive line. Special teams: Corey Nelms (for his huge hit).

> Quarterbacks: Two of his first four passes went for interceptions. But after those two mistakes, Harris played like the Heisman candidate I still say he is. He finished 19 of 28 for 202 yards and three touchdowns. He made great decisions and throws on the game-clinching drive and threaded a perfect pass between four DBs to Dedrick Epps on his 11-yard pass. If not for the two early mistakes, Harris would get an A. Grade: A-.

> Running game: How about Javarris James? I've been one of his biggest critics most of his career, wondering why UM continued to feature him as the primary back when Graig Cooper was playing better. James made me eat my words in the Canes' biggest win since he's been here. His career-high 150 yards were great, but what I enjoyed most were the tough, six and seven yard bursts he provided against what was the nation's No. 1 run defense. UM finished with 140 yards on 32 carries when you throw in Jacory Harris' four sacks. But make no mistake, the 175 yards UM gained were huge and as big a reason as any why the Canes won this game. Grade: A.

> Receivers/tight end: There were a few unnecessary drops. But all in all, when 11 different guys catch passes you have to tip your hat not only to Jacory Harris for spreading the wealth, but for guys stepping up and making plays. Aldarius Johnson made a nice return and finished with four catches for 45 yards. Travis Benjamin had three for 61 yards and a touchdown and Dedrick Epps made three clutch catches including one for a touchdown. And how about Jimmy Graham? He promised he'd catch the next ball thrown his way and he did. All he does is catch touchdowns: he's got two catches for two touchdowns. Grade: A-.

> Blocking: The Sooners stayed true to their season average by getting to Jacory Harris for four sacks. Jeremy Beal abused Matt Pipho and company for three of them. But where UM earned it's good grade was being physical in the run game and opening up some gaping holes. Big bad Gerald McCoy? He had a half tackle. That's a credit to UM's interior, AJ Trump, Joel Figueroa, Harland Gunn and Orlando Franklin did their job. Grade: B.

> Front Seven: Welcome back Sean Spence. Welcome back UM's good run defense. Welcome back pass rush. While things weren't pretty early, Spence and company answered the call over the final three quarters. Spence finished with a team-leading 10 tackles and Colin McCarthy -- playing injured -- showed his toughness after coming in during the second quarter and finishing with seven tackles. Oklahoma finished with 153 yards on 42 attempts. But take away Chris Brown's 48-yard burst at the goalline and the Sooners have probably their worst ay running the football in years. Allen Bailey and Marcus Robinson both got sacks and UM produced four quarterback hurries as a unit to make Landry Jones feel awfully uncomfortable. Grade: A-.

> Secondary: How do you measure the impact and lift freshman Ray Ray Armstrong provided this unit? With leading tackler Randy Phillips out and UM shorthanded by injuries at the position, Armstrong's bone jarring hits brought UM's defense and the home crowd to life. Vaughn Telemaque had a career-best nine tackles himself and except for one bad blown coverage, Brandon Harris was special. He had a sack and forced a huge fumble to help UM grab the lead. The only guy who had a forgetful game? Sam Shields. He got burned in coverage multiple times and was definitely somebody Landry Jones and the Sooners went after. All-in-all, UM limited Landry to 188 yards passing on 30 attempts. Not bad at all. Grade: B+.

> Special teams: There were a pair of ugly moments: Joe Joseph getting that bonehead penalty for running into the punter (even though it was very questionable) and the 51-yard punt return Dominique Franks had from his one yard line to put Oklahoma in position to come back and win the game. But overall, there were no major mistakes in kickoff coverage, Matt Bosher averaged 45.8 yards a punt including three that pinned Oklahoma inside the 20 and Mike James and Graig Cooper did decent jobs giving UM's offense good field position on kickoffs. And who will ever forget walk-on Corey Nelms' big hit to start the second half? That fueled UM's nice start to the second half. Grade: B+.

> Coaching: After being out coached by Virginia Tech, coordinators Mark Whipple and John Lovett put their players in the perfect positions to win this game. Whipple made the right decision to make OU respect UM's running game first before unleashing Harris and the passing attack. Defensively, after a terrible opening drive, Landry Jones and the OU offense simply looked uncomfortable with what Lovett was throwing at them. Even though Shields got burned, UM was in the right pass protection schemes. Personnel wise, Lovett made the right decision to cut Ray Ray Armstrong loose and continue to rotate him. UM coach Randy Shannon had his team ready, mentally and physically for this game. You couldn't have asked for anything more. Had UM lost this game, it certainly would not have been his or any of his a.ssistants faults. Grade A+.
 7 years ago '05        #6269
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Miami Hurricanes’ TE Jimmy Graham follows big drops with a big catch
by Jorge Milian
Anyone with a heart had to feel good for UM tight end Jimmy Graham last Saturday night.

A week after dropping two critical passes in UM’s 31-7 loss to Virginia Tech, Graham pulled in an 18-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter that put the Hurricanes on the scoreboard for the first time in their eventual 21-20 victory against No. 8 Oklahoma.

“It really meant a lot,” Graham said on Monday afternoon. “Being in athletics, you obviously go through your ups and downs. The good thing is that there’s always another opportunity only a couple days away to make up for it.”

Graham felt he had some making up to do after dropping two Jacory Harris passes in the third quarter against Virginia Tech. The first drop was a potential touchdown pass that bounced off Graham’s hands at the Hokies’ 10-yard line with UM trailing 21-7. The second drop came two plays later and would have given the Hurricanes a first down.

Despite being near tears following the game, the 6-foot-8, 255-pound senior allowed himself to be grilled by reporters and handled himself with grace and class beyond that expected of a despondent 22-year-old.

“I’ve been through a lot,” said Graham, the product of a troubled childhood who was adopted when he was 15. “ When I look back in my life, nothing’s really come easy for me. I’ve been handed nothing. So when I dropped those two balls, I just saw it as something else that I have to overcome. Luckily, the last 22 years, I’ve done a pretty good job at that. I just see it as another experience to learn from.”

Judging by his catch against Oklahoma, Graham learned quickly. The drops in Blacksburg, Va., were the result of “trying to make two big plays before I had the ball. I’ve used it to motivate me to do better the next time.”

On his 18-yard TD catch against Oklahoma, Graham made sure he secured the ball before running into the end zone. He has two catches this season and both have been for touchdowns.

“I’ve come a long way,” said Graham, who spent the past four seasons playing basketball for UM, but hadn’t played football since his freshman year in high school. “Considering I’ve only played football for eight weeks, I think I’ve done very well. I’ve been playing quite a bit. I wish we could get the Virginia Tech game back, but that’s something we can’t do.”

Graham’s two touchdown catches are as many as any UM tight end has had in a season since 2005.

“I think I’m only scratching the surface,” said Graham, who had “Look the ball in” written on his wristband against Oklahoma. “Hopefully, there’s many more [touchdowns] to come. I haven’t really shown what I can do. I haven’t caught the ball on the run or shown my speed or my ability to jump in the air catch it. There’s a lot of things I want to do. I want to continue to be a big part of what the team is doing to win games.”

In other words, keeping his eye on the prize.

“Not only on the prize, but the ball, too,” Graham quipped.

A couple of other things:

…..Senior offensive tackle Jason Fox was named the ACC’s Offensive Lineman of the Week for his performance against Oklahoma. I’m a voter for the ACC Players of the Week awards. I select from from a list of nominations turned in by the 12 conference schools. Here was my ballot for this week: Offensive back – Riley Skinner, Wake Forest {it would have been Miami tailback Javarris James, but he wasn’t nominated}; Offensive line: Jason Fox, Miami; Defensive line: Robert Quinn, North Carolina; Defensive back: Cody Grimm, Virginia Tech; Specialist: Robert Randolph, Virginia; Rookie: Conner Vernon, Duke.

…..Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will speak to reporters for the first time on Tuesday since the regular season began
 7 years ago '05        #6270
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Back in 2001 I was watching a game against the University of Pittsburgh and noticed No. 26 on Miami's special teams unit. Standing 6'3" and 220 lbs. at that time, Sean Taylor possessed speed and the hard hitting ability that reminded me a lot of ex-Bronco Steve Atwater.

As the years went by I kept my eye on Taylor. I watched every play he was in and realized I was witnessing someone that doesn't come around very often.

Although I see it a little bit in USC's Taylor Mays this year, I also see it a little closer to home.

Welcome home Sean Taylor, I mean, Ray Ray Armstrong.

The number is the same, the dreads are the same, the size is the same, the speed is the same, and the hitting ability is there. Just ask DeMarco Murray.

When Randy Phillips left the game due to injury, No. 26 came onto the field and it gave me goosebumps.

Sean Taylor was my favorite Hurricane and to see someone who almost looks identical standing on the field gave me a shiver.

When Murray made that run on first down and jumped over Telemaque and ran into a brick wall named Armstrong, I shook my head and smiled.

It brought flashbacks of one of the best safeties I have ever seen. And then to see this No. 26 back on the field, it almost seemed like reincarnation.

I started to first hear about Ray Ray two years ago. Living an hour-and-a-half from Sanfod Seminole High School I read a lot about this big safety/linebacker/running back/quarterback in the local papers.

When I saw that he chose Miami, I was ecstatic.

The only problem I had is when he came to Miami, coach Randy Shannon almost made him a linebacker. After the spring game and as it got closer to the season, he decided to leave him at his true spot which was safety. I'm glad he did.

Miami's soft spot is obviously the defensive backs. Hopefully Shannon saw what everyone in Florida saw before he came to the Hurricanes, a menacing Sean Taylor clone.

Let's hope Ray Ray can do what Sean Taylor did at Miami—made other teams scared to throw the ball. Let's also hope that even though the similarities between Taylor and Armstrong are eerie, they don't share the same fate.

Rest in Peace No. 26 Sean Taylor.

Welcome home No. 26 Ray Ray Armstrong.
 7 years ago '05        #6271
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
if you wanna see the live stream of hurricanes sportlines on wqam

7 years ago '06        #6272
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,706 | Props total: 12245 12245
ITU is reporting that Devont'a Davis Commited :rasta:
 7 years ago '04        #6273
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Press Conference News & Notes: 10/6
Oct. 6, 2009

By: David Lake

Randy Shannon
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami will take on Florida A&M this Saturday at 7 p.m. in Landshark Stadium.

The game can be seen on ESPN360.

Read here for news and notes going into this week’s game.

Shannon Opening Statement

“This week we have Florida A&M. This is a good football team. We can’t take them lightly. Like I can tell all you guys, Apalachain State and Michigan. That is all I can tell you, so we have to go out there and practice like we did this morning. The tempo was great, they flew around and had a lot of excitement still. We didn’t have to do the things we did two weeks ago. We can’t take anybody for granted, we have to stay focused and keep playing together as a football team.”

News & Notes

• On Sunday Shannon addressed the team and told them the chip that Florida A&M would have on their shoulder during the game. “There is a lot of players on that team who feel like they should be at the University of Miami and they are going to come out and have a purpose to make everybody understand that they should be at Miami.”

• Shannon on getting through those tough first four games: “It is a little draining for me, but you got to get back up with your energy and get yourself going and focus on this team.”

• The play of the running backs is a big key for the offense moving forward. If Miami can establish a running game, they will be a tough offense to stop. “Javarris started running the football and then the linebackers have to come up for the run and then the safeties get sucked up and now you get your one-on-one matchups. It can be really scary if you are able to run the football like we did the other night.”

• Freshman A.J. Highsmith will only play in real game experience, Shannon said. “We want to play A.J., but we don’t want him to just hand the ball off. We want him to run the offense. When the opportunity comes that he can get in the game and run the offense and execute like we want to, we will play A.J.”

• Shannon says A.J. has improved since he first arrived with managing the offense. “I don’t see any fumble snaps, I see him getting the motion going and telling guys where to line up. He is getting comfortable with the offense with what they need to get done.”

• Safety Vaughn Telemaque impressed Shannon with how he made all the checks against Oklahoma this past week. “You got Vaughn Telemaque, a red shirt freshman, he had to make all the checks,” Shannon said. “So you have a freshman doing a great job directing all the traffic and making the checks and he did a great job with that.”

• Coach Whipple and Shannon have worked together because they have similar coaching styles, Shannon said. “We have the same mentality,” Shannon said. “We are aggressive type guys and he demands a lot out of other people and his players.”

• FAMU cornerback LeRoy Vann is averaging 24 yards per punt return and has scored four touchdowns on punt returns this season. As a kick returner he is averaging 25 yards per return. “He is a real good returner,” Shannon said. “He is an exciting guy to watch on the kickoff returns and he is a guy we have to be concerned about. We have done some good things on our kickoff this last game, but it is going to be a big challenge.”

• Of the backup linebackers, Jordan Futch is playing the most consistent, defensive coordinator John Lovett said when talking about Futch, Arthur Brown and Ramon Buchanan. “He has played in a couple of games right now and he is a little bit ahead. The other two guys are about ready to go and we will hopefully get a look at them this week…Jordan played Saturday because Jordan was ready to play Saturday.”

• Lovett said Arthur Brown needs to improve his consistency: “Fit where he needs to fit, make the right calls that he needs to make and take charge, adjust the front, and do the things that a linebacker does.”

• Lovett on the play of defensive tackle Marcus Forston: “He is banged up. How you deal with that determines how mature you are and how ready you are to play at this level…I would like him to be playing faster, better, harder, but everyone has pain tolerance and have to deal with injuries…He is a really good player and you see flashes of what he can be, but one play does not make a player.”

• Olivier Vernon was “a pleasant surprise” out of spring football last year, Lovett said and he has continued his strong play this season. “He has a lot of natural ability and he is a work hard guy,” Lovett said. “He has got some football smarts. He is a smart football player and that is why he is playing at such a young age.”
 7 years ago '04        #6274
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Welcome!
My Profilenew espn | My U-Watch | LogOut
About Us • Contact

Nelms Delivers Big Hit; Shares His Story
Oct. 6, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Cory Nelms
Cory Nelms is still cherishing the moment.

Nelms, a 6-foot-1, 195-pound junior cornerback, delivered a huge hit on Saturday against Oklahoma on the opening kickoff of the second half with the Hurricanes trailing 10-7.

The crowd went into a frenzy after the hit buzzing with questions as to ‘who was that?’ Momentum appeared to be shifting.

“I definitely felt (the buzz) from on the field to the highest seat in the stands,” Nelms said.

Two plays later Brandon Harris forced a fumble on Landry Jones with Joe Joseph recovering. On the ensuing play, Jacory Harris threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Dedrick Epps to give Miami a 14-10 lead. The Hurricanes would not trail the rest of the way en route to a 21-20 win.

“When (Nelms) got that big hit, that was the turning point of the game,” coach Randy Shannon said.

Nelms, a track star at Miami, walked on to the football team last season and has been playing on special teams this season thus changing his status on the team from walk-on to a scholarship player per NCAA rules.

“When I first got on the field (against Florida State), it was definitely a great feeling,” he said.

His big play was the first tackle of his brief UM career.

“It was the best feeling I’ve ever had in my life,” Nelms said. “Just the stage we were on and to be able to share that with my teammates.”

Nelms, who wears No. 38, is one of the fastest players on the team as he’s an outstanding hurdler winning the ACC 60-meter indoor title this spring. His best time in the 110-meter hurdles is 13.89 seconds.

“Track is great. It’s fun. I love both sports equally,” he said. “It’s a different type of training. There’s a little bit more toughness in football, but at the end of the day, it’s hard work all the way around.”

In addition to kickoff coverage, Nelms also does kickoff and punt returns.

“I believe, the rest of the team, and the coaching staff that special teams is just as important as offense and defense,” Nelms said. “At the end of the day if every team has a good offense and a good defense then special teams is going to come down to who wins and loses the game.”

He’s looking forward to making more big plays on special teams and has enjoyed his experience

“Things are looking good for me this year,” Nelms said. “I put in a lot of work to get on the field and it’s definitely an honor to get on the field and have the opportunity to play and win games.”

High School Days

Nelms was a three-year letterman as a cornerback at Neptune (N.J.) High School, where he graduated in 2006.

He had five interceptions as a junior and was beginning to hear from Division I-A schools. But a sub-par senior year hurt his chances and did not receive a I-A offer although he was recruited by Division I-AA schools.

“I was kind of disappointed, but I had another route to get into the school I wanted to get into,” Nelms said.

In addition to Miami, Nelms only considered attending Rutgers.

“I really wanted to come here so it wasn’t really a hard decision to make,” he said.

On to UM...

The Hurricanes swagger and attitude attracted Nelms to the program.

“Since I got to high school, observing Miami sports as a whole—just the swagger and the attitude they brought to every sport,” Nelms said. “That was my style in high school and even before high school. I knew that’s what I wanted to be a part of it.”

After enrolling at the University of Miami in the fall of 2006, Nelms participated in track for two years before deciding to give football a shot.

“When I first walked on last year, I was really welcomed with open arms,” he said. “They made it the transition from track to football very easy from the first drill in training camp, I always had the support of my teammates so that made it a good experience when I first got on the team.”

His goals for the rest of his time at UM?

“I just want to keep playing football, get a degree, go forward in life wherever God takes me.”
 7 years ago '04        #6275
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Canes Get CB Davis
Oct. 6, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Devont'a Davis throws up the 'U' to show his love for the Hurricanes.
Gainesville cornerback Devont'a Davis loves what he sees from the University of Miami.

Davis, 6-1, 170, finally made it officially and verbally committed to UM on Tuesday night.

"I just committed, I am coming," Davis said. "Miami is on a roll right now. I have to be a apart of it right now. I'm excited right now. I'm out of breath right now."

With the commitment, Davis becomes the 18th verbal commitment for the Hurricanes and the fourth defensive back.

"I'm very excited," Davis said. "I'm finally living my dream. Finally getting to college football. I like the feeling right now."

Davis, who has 35 tackles and four interceptions for 4-1 Gainesville, picked Miami over Arkansas, South Carolina, Iowa State, UCF and Rutgers.

"I called Coach Barrow and told them I'm coming," Davis said. "They said they have been waiting on me. I talked to my mom about it and she said it was up to me. She had a problem with me leaving out of state, but this is Florida so that's okay."

He grew up a fan of the hometown Florida Gators, but UF did not extend an offer to him.

"To me, I feel like I have nothing against Florida, I'm still going to love Florida, but I'm a Cane," Davis said. "Even if they offer me a scholarship, I'm not worried about that. It doesn't matter. I'm a Cane and that's all that matters."

He joins teammate Kevin Nelson, a linebacker, as a verbal commitment to Miami. Davis and Nelson have a very close relationship and Davis' mother often serves as a mother-figure for Nelson, whose parents are both deceased.

"That's my brother," Davis said. "I just play with him on a while other level. Me and Kevin are going to play college football together just like in high school."
 7 years ago '07        #6276
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466

Here it goes

recruits every week jumping aboard
 7 years ago '05        #6277
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,688 | Props total: 3796 3796
haaa you clowns got another 3-star scrub that wanted to go to UF but they didn't offer.
 7 years ago '04        #6278
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 Junior G said:
haaa you clowns got another 3-star scrub that wanted to go to UF but they didn't offer.
FAMU is the best team in tallahassee
 7 years ago '04        #6279
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 Junior G said:
And your recruits have been jumping ship since the season started

heck, you scrubs don't even know who the heck is the actual coach at fsu

FAMU is better than fsu right now cuzo :greetings10:
 10-06-2009, 11:12 PM         #6280
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Junior G said:
I'll say it again... where has rivals.com gotten you and your team??

Home      

most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
182 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
269 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Teaser
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 8 - Mark Cuban: Trump is our number one draft pick
32 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy