Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
154 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
127 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
33 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #6201
booie4 
space
space
$4,880 | Props total: 609 609
The University of Miami Hurricanes had a ``great'' practice Tuesday morning, according to UM coach Randy Shannon.

Shannon, who was unavailable to reporters after practice but will hold his weekly news conference later Tuesday, told 560 WQAM sports-radio host Joe Rose there was ``some excitement going on. The players had a great practice this morning. They flew around and did a lot of great things.''

Shannon told WQAM that wide receiver Aldarius Johnson, who was believed to have a groin injury, practiced Tuesday. He said defensive tackle Marcus Forston and defensive end Andrew Smith ``did some good things at practice. I'm kind of excited about the way they practiced today. Aldarius Johnson did a nice job today in practice also.

``We have three guys back and you know how it is -- you've got little nicks and ankles here and little toe injuries here. But you know what? We have some guys to replace them, which is good.''

Is safety Randy Phillips back?

``He practiced a little today,'' Shannon told Rose. ``But we'll know come game time. We'll wait and see. I'm old school. I tell them if by Wednesday you don't practice, you can't play. We do have some old guys like Randy Phillips, who I think can go out there and play the game without practicing. But he's got to practice come Wednesday to get into contact, the pads and things like that, because Thursday we're not in football pads. He has to get the physical work in.''

Phillips injured his arm at Virginia Tech.

• Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told Rose earlier Tuesday that he still didn't know if 2008 Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford would be back for the UM game. Bradford has a third-degree shoulder separation of his throwing arm.

``We'll see,'' Stoops said. ``It's just too early in the week to know. He has been progressing well. All his rehab and everything has gone really well. We'll just have to see as we go through the week.''
 7 years ago '07        #6202
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
stoops knows bradford aint playing
 7 years ago '04        #6203
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
f**k it, I knew these n*ggas were gonna be flying around in practice this week

gotta love Shannon :agreement6:

But for real, I'm sure them goons are fired up this week. Them n*ggas know they let a huge opportunity to make a statement with that letdown against virginia tech. They understand they have one more game to make such statement and get back into the rankings.

I can't wait til saturday night.
 7 years ago '04        #6204
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
stoops knows bradford aint playing
It would be stupid for him to play bradford. Though the race to the national championship for the sooners is not completely over, the big12 schedule starts next week for them, and then they have texas in 2 weeks. They're really gonna need bradford in that game. landry jones is not gonna beat texas with slants and flares to the RB.

heck, jones is NOT gonna rip us for 50 points on slants and flares to chris brown/demarco murray

Last edited by Cap Peeler; 09-29-2009 at 08:46 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #6205
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
we need to step our tackling game over
 7 years ago '04        #6206
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
UM’s nightmare on Saturday didn’t end with its 31-7 loss to Virginia Tech.

It continued on the Hurricanes’ trip home. UM was to fly out of Roanoke following the game but was unable to do so because rain made it unsafe for the Hurricanes’ charter to use that city’s airport, according to coach Randy Shannon.

UM was then forced to take a three-hour bus ride to Charlotte, N.C. Once the Hurricanes got to Charlotte’s aiport, they had to wait for TSA agents to be rounded up so that the team could clear security.

Instead of getting home at 11 p.m. as planned, the team arrived in Coral Gables at 4 a.m.

“It was a bad day all-around,” Shannon said.

Here’s a few more things I spoke to Shannon about today:

…..Safety Randy Phillips, who sat out most to the Virginia Tech game with an arm injury, may be able to play against Oklahoma on Saturday if the practices on Wednesday. Phillips was dressed out at today’s practice but did not participate in contact drills.

….Ran into defensive end Adewale Ojomo as I was walking into my meeting with Shannon. Ojomo says he’s lost 20-25 pounds after getting his jaw broken in a skirmish during fall practice. He hopes to begin practicing soon, but Shannon said that is “still up to the doctors.”

…..With teams punting away from Travis Benjamin, Shannon said he’s considering using two punt returners instead of one. “We’ve got to get something out of our punt-return teams,” Shannon said. The Hurricanes rank next to last in the ACC with a punt return average of two yards.

…..Shannon said freshman tailback Lamar Miller won’t play this season unless he’s forced to by injuries.

….Freshman safety Ray Ray Armstrong will see increased playing time after performing well against Virginia Tech, Shannon said.:applause:

….Walk-on Corey Nelms replaced Sam Shields on the kickoff coverage team and will keep the job after impressing coaches against Virginia Tech.

….Shannon said he expects receiver Aldarius Johnson, defensive tackle Marcus Forston and defensive end Andrew Smith to play against Oklahoma. Johnson has missed the last two games while Forston and Smith were held out against the Hokies because of injuries.
 7 years ago '05        #6207
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
CORAL GABLES - Although Hurricanes sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris doesn't want to hear about rankings or overhyped media predictions anymore, he did enjoy hearing words of encouragement from former 'Cane quarterback Ken Dorsey after he struggled in a 31-7 loss to Virginia Tech on Saturday.

"Ken Dorsey [texted] me, telling me it was just like the time he lost to Washington," Harris said. "[He said], 'You just got to get behind the team, talk to them, make sure everybody is on the right track, that we're paying attention and focused because we can't let VT beat us twice.'

"We can't worry about what Virginia Tech did last week when we're playing Oklahoma because that's when distractions [occur] and a lot of things don't go the right way.''

Dorsey was referring to a 34-29 loss to then-15th-ranked Washington in Husky Stadium on Sept. 9, 2000 in the second game of the season. The Hurricanes dropped from No. 4 to 12, but then ran the table, including a 37-20 victory over seventh-ranked Florida in the Sugar Bowl to finish 11-1.

QUICK HITS

- Because of the inclement weather in Blacksburg, Va., Saturday, the Hurricanes were unable to fly out of nearby Roanoke Airport, so they had to bus three hours to Charlotte, N.C., before flying home at 4 a.m.

"Without any food,'' joked coach Randy Shannon. "That day was a bad day. A bad game and bad flights.''

- Fifth-year senior CB Randy Phillips, who didn't play the second half because of an injured forearm, was limited in practice Tuesday, but Shannon said he'd be a game-time decision. … Starters DE Andrew Smith and DT Marcus Forston, who missed the Hokies' game with minor lower extremity nicks, returned to practice. ... WR Aldarius Johnson, who missed the last two games with a groin injury, practiced and is eager to face the Sooners.
Copyright © 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

like it said...this game reminded me of the 2000 washington game
 7 years ago '05        #6208
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,703 | Props total: 3816 3816
THIS DRAGONBALLZ POSTER HAVIN b**ch HAD ME ROLLIN....EXCEPT FOR HIS NO pus*y GETTIN a.ss s**tTIN ON US

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '06        #6209
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,723 | Props total: 12271 12271
Linder, Payne love what they see in Canes

I had to race out of UM after today's press conference and interview session with players and coach Randy Shannon to visit St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale. It forced me to miss our afternoon chat and not post anything I gathered from this morning.

So, here's something to tide you over until I can catchup later tonight. If you get a chance Friday night, catch No. 1 Aquinas' showdown with No. 2 Byrnes (S.C.). Chances are there will be two future Canes playing for the Raiders -- cornerback Keion Payne (6-0, 170) and offensive tackle Brandon Linder (6-5, 270).

Both told me this afternoon they've loved what they've seen from the Hurricanes so far this season and playing in Coral Gables next year is something they say could very likely happen. And both said they'll be on the Hurricanes sideline for the Oklahoma game on Saturday night.

"I love what Coach Whipple has done with that offense," said Linder, considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com. "I'm not sure when I'm going to make a decision yet. But it could be soon."

"They are definitely No. 1 for me," said Payne, considered a three-star recruit by Rivals."I just love the intensity they bring every week and I know from watching them on film I could come in right away and help them out."
Our O Line Lookin Stacked in the future
 7 years ago '07        #6210
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
i was wondering what the recruiting tip was looking like

good look on all the news everyone
 7 years ago '09        #6211
reborG80 
space
space
$2,849 | Props total: 1 1
sup cane fans new to the thread cane fan for 21 years glad to see a place for the u to shine we can all enjoy the uprising of the u together
 7 years ago '04        #6212
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,476 | Props total: 424 424
 reborG80 said:
sup cane fans new to the thread cane fan for 21 years glad to see a place for the u to shine we can all enjoy the uprising of the u together
Yessir, welcome aboard homie
 7 years ago '04        #6213
booie4 
space
space
$4,880 | Props total: 609 609
CORAL GABLES — University of Miami receiver Leonard Hankerson has 25 catches in two-plus seasons with the Hurricanes.

But to UM fans, it might seem as if he's allowed as many passes to slip through his hands.

More on the Hurricanes

Photos of 'Canes vs. Va. Tech

Play our college Pick 'em game and win prizes!

Injured Miami starters Pat Hill, Randy Phillips out for Oklahoma

Fullback Pat Hill will miss Saturday’s game against No. 8 Oklahoma with a “lower extremity” injury, according to a ...
Read posts, share comments
Talk Back: Message board

Follow Hurricanes writer Jorge Milian on Twitter!
Follow all PBP Sports

Colleges home
Miami Hurricanes
Florida Gators
Florida Atlantic Owls
Florida State Seminoles
More area colleges

Post your comments on this story below

More in Sports
Get the latest news, photos and more for S. Fla. teams.
Share This Story
Y Buzzdel.icio.us
diggNewsvine
redditTechnorati
FacebookTwitter
FarkMore
What are these?

Hankerson, a junior, has suffered some notable drops during his short career. Last season, he was unable to catch a couple of third-down passes against Florida that k!lled drives. Against Florida State, Hankerson allowed a potential touchdown pass to bounce off his chest that proved crucial in UM's loss.

But thanks to a summer tutorial with former Dolphin great Mark Duper, Hankerson has gone from butter-fingered to sure-handed.

Through three games, Hankerson ranks second on the Hurricanes with eight catches and a team-leading 186 yards. His average of 62 receiving yards per game ranks seventh in the ACC.

"Hand-eye coordination," Duper said explaining Hankerson's increased production. "That was the biggest thing we worked on all summer and it seems like it's worked out just fine."

Hankerson, 20, said he didn't know anything about the 50-year-old Duper, a three-time Pro Bowl selection during 11 seasons with the Dolphins, when he first met him.

But James Hankerson, Leonard's uncle, was an old acquaintance of Duper's and put him in touch with his nephew.

"I said, 'What's his problem?'" said Duper, a resident of Wellington. "They said, 'He drops a lot of balls.'"

Duper and Hankerson began working out in the summer two or three times a week.

"We mainly worked on his concentration because that was his downfall," Duper said. "He wants to be a great receiver, but you can't be a great receiver if you don't catch the football."

Drills included firing smaller footballs at Hankerson while his back was turned and forcing him to catch two baseballs thrown from different directions.

"He was eager to learn and I was eager to tutor him," Duper said. "He really wanted it."

Hankerson had an uneven performance in UM's season-opening victory against Florida State. He set a career-high with four receptions for 72 yards, but he dropped at least one pass that he should have caught.

The next day, Duper was on the phone to him.

"He called to make sure I got those drops out of my mind," Hankerson said.

Hankerson caught the only ball thrown to him against Georgia Tech - a 35-yard toss from Jacory Harris that set up a touchdown - then caught three passes for 79 yards last Saturday against Virginia Tech.

Among the three catches against the Hokies was a 30-yard reception that Hankerson caught between two defenders and ended with the 6-foot-3, 215-pound junior getting punished. The catch set up UM's only touchdown in the 31-7 loss in Blacksburg, Va.

"He got (hit hard), but it hurts less when you catch the ball than when you drop it," Duper said.

Duper said he's never coached in any official capacity higher than little league, but was intrigued by working with Hankerson.

"Leonard is my project," Duper said. "I wanted to prove to myself that I could change (him) into being a better ballplayer."

Hankerson is making Duper look good so far. His production in UM's first three games nearly matches what he totaled (11 receptions, 140 yards) in eight games last season.

"He's really turned the corner," junior cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke said. "When 'Hank' drops a ball in practice now, it's like, 'What's wrong with Hank?' He's on a roll."

UM receivers coach Aubrey Hill said he was "open" to Duper working with Hankerson during the off-season.

"Any way to get our receivers to catch it on 3rd and 15, we're excited about it," Hill said.
 7 years ago '04        #6214
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
QB Whipple Transfers to Miami
Oct. 1, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Spencer Whipple
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Quarterback Spencer Whipple, the son of offensive coordinator Mark Whipple, has transferred to the University of Miami from Massachusetts.

Whipple, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound lefthander, is a redshirt sophomore and is handling the scout team duties as a walk-on.

“Spence was at the University of Pitt and wanted to be with his family and he was at UMass when his dad went to Philly,” coach Randy Shannon said. “He just wants to be with his dad and he has a little brother at St. Thomas that he likes to go see play J.V. It is more of a family thing that he wants to be around and Miami is still a private institution where he can get a good education.”

Whipple was the starting quarterback at Pine-Richland High School in Gibsonia, Pa. as a senior in 2006. He started his prep career at South Hadley (Mass.).

Following high school, he played one season at Pittsburgh in 2007 as a walk-on and he redshirted before transferring to Massachusetts. He played in one game in 2008 and completed his only pass for 16 yards.

With the addition of Whipple, Miami now has four quarterbacks on the roster with two scholarship players--sophomore Jacory Harris and freshman A.J. Highsmith--and two walkons--senior Matt Perrelli and Whipple.

“(Whipple) is doing a great job of getting the guys going and guys are really taking his lead,” Shannon said.

Whipple is wearing No. 16 for the Hurricanes.
 7 years ago '04        #6215
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Practice Report: 10/1
Oct. 1, 2009

By: David Lake

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Miami Hurricanes held practice Thursday afternoon in preparation for #8 Oklahoma.

Miami is looking for their first win over a top 10 team since knocking off then-No. 3 ranked Virginia Tech on November 5, 2005 when UM was ranked fifth. Miami is 0-4 against top 10 teams since then. From 1998-2005, Miami defeated a top 10 team at least once in each season during the eight-year span.

See what the latest buzz is around the team and what coach Randy Shannon had to say following practice.

Opening statement

“We got a lot of work done today. Guys flew around and we had a good time. We executed the offense and all you can do now is watch film and have meetings and we will see what happens on Saturday.”

News & Notes

• Oklahoma features two running backs who ran for over 1,000 yards last season in DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown. Shannon says the Oklahoma running game is one of the strengths of their team. “They have good running backs. They are explosive and I look at it as the strength of their football team right now. The running backs and quarterbacks have done a great job the last two weeks of protecting the football. We recruited Murray and the other kid was a good running back coming out of high school also that everybody in the country would probably like to have.”

• Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple’s son, Spencer, has transferred to Miami from UMass where he was a backup quarterback. Spencer Whipple, a walkon will be handling the scout team duties for the offense this year. “Spence was at the University of Pitt and wanted to be with his family and he was at UMass when his dad went to Philly,” Shannon said. “He just wants to be with his dad and he has a little brother at St. Thomas that he likes to go see play J.V. It is more of a family thing that he wants to be around and Miami is still a private institution where he can get a good education.”

“He is doing a great job of getting the guys going and guys are really taking his lead.”

• This will be the first back-to-back Saturday games for Miami and that helps the team get in a regular rhythm for the rest of the season. “Once you get in the rhythm of something it becomes easier,” Shannon said. “Monday is this, Tuesday is this, Wednesday is this, and Thursday is this. It is just those first couple of weeks when you have nine days off or seven days off where the team cant get in a rhythm. Now once you get in a rhythm guys just do it.”

• Miami is averaging just two yards per punt return so far this season. Shannon says the biggest reason for that is because teams are kicking away from his returners. “Hopefully they kick the ball inbounds,” Shannon said. “You show me a return that you can get when they kick the ball out of bounds.”

• Shannon on if high school games like St. Thomas-Byrnes are good for high school football: “I think it is good for high school football that you have that type of caliber teams playing. I think it is great for high school football in the South Florida region which is very good.”

• Now that it is October, Shannon has contemplated changing the daily practices to the afternoon, but for now he will wait a little longer to make the switch. “I know it is turning, but we had those showers yesterday that kind of made me nervous. I have to wait until those showers clear up.”
 7 years ago '04        #6216
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
you fellas ready??!?!??

Saturday is almost here
 7 years ago '05        #6217
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
yesssir.. im ready i was able to cop a last min ticket for cheap..
 7 years ago '04        #6218
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
what it do playas

Sitting happy at 3-1 out here :cool0012:
 7 years ago '07        #6219
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
:dancingcool::dancingcool:
 7 years ago '04        #6220
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
f**k yeah !!

3-1

everybody thought we were a product of hype

f**k that we are legit
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
22 hours ago