Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #6081
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
yeah start it

and yo i been wearing the same s**t all year to...cant break tradition
 7 years ago '05        #6082
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290

[pic - click to view]

once again herbstrait...knows whats up :applause:
 7 years ago '05        #6083
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,654 | Props total: 3750 3750
ya'll some f**kin clowns

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #6084
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
omg that was horrible...gotdamn
 09-22-2009, 10:31 PM         #6085
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wow....
 7 years ago '04        #6086
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
Here are some statistics that might have put UM fans in a disbelieving stupor the past several years -- but not now: The ninth-ranked Hurricanes are eighth nationally in passing offense, 16th nationally in total offense and 29th in scoring.

Some other eyebrow-raisers: The Hurricanes are second nationally in passing efficiency and ninth in sacks allowed.

This offense is more than sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris, though he already is being hyped by several national commentators as a Heisman candidate.

``I really don't want it right now,'' Harris said of the respect he and his teammates are getting. ``I still want to f!ght for it. I still want people to think that we're underdogs and we're going into the game losing by 30 so we can show people what we're made of and what we're capable of.

``We still have more in store.''

It's almost strange to hear people talking about UM's impressive offense as the Hurricanes prepare to travel to Blacksburg, Va., to meet No. 11 Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in another nationally televised showdown. The Canes (2-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) are 2 ˝-point favorites.

In 2007, Randy Shannon's first year as head coach and Patrick Nix's first year as offensive coordinator, the Canes finished 110th of 119 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in total offense. They were 108th in passing offense and 101st in scoring.

Last year, Nix's final season before current coordinator Mark Whipple took over, the Canes were 89th in total offense, 77th in passing offense, 78th in rushing and 50th in scoring.

The Hurricanes' offensive line, supposedly the team's weakness before the season began, has been stellar. Harris has been sacked once. The speedy receivers are running precise routes. The top two running backs -- Graig Cooper and Javarris James -- averaged more than 5 yards a carry in last Thursday's 33-17 victory against then-No. 14 Georgia Tech.

`THE GUYS UP FRONT'

``It starts with the guys up front, the offensive line,'' Shannon said. ``They've done a great job of allowing us to run the football and provide protection for us to get the ball out of Jacory's hands to different receivers. There's not a go-to guy. We spread the ball around nicely. It was a bunch of guys the first game. Now it's [receiver] LaRon Byrd, or it's the tight end, or [fullback] Pat Hill.

``You don't know who is going to catch the passes, so you can't really key into one person. This offense has done a great job of utilizing the people around them.''

Against Georgia Tech, nine players caught passes for UM.

The Hokies (2-1, 0-0) are uncharacteristically 77th in total defense and 107th in rushing defense -- but 27th in pass defense.

Byrd is mostly concerned with his own team.

``You play the game to be No. 1,'' said Byrd, a sophomore who has five catches for 83 yards and a touchdown. ``We've got to do better. We're still making a couple [of] mistakes.''

Byrd said the offense starts with Harris.

``He's the leader,'' said Byrd, 6-4 and 215 pounds. ``He puts the ball in the best position for us to catch it. And the offensive line is giving him great time.''

Receiver Travis Benjamin, the smallest Cane at 5-10 and 175 pounds, leads the team with seven catches for 157 yards and a touchdown. ``It feels good because it doesn't matter who gets open,'' he said. ``We work as a team on offense.

``Coach Whipple came in and gave us the type of offense that he knows we can make big plays off of, so everybody is anticipating playing well for the rest of the season.''

NEW PLAYS MIGHT BE IN STORE

Benjamin, who said last week that UM had barely begun to unleash its new offense, said Tuesday that Virginia Tech might see some new plays as well.

``There are some things here and there that he put in this week that will hopefully help us beat the Virginia Tech defense,'' Benjamin said. ``They're a good, solid, very disciplined defense. They tackle well and in formation they hardly bust.''

Tight end Jimmy Graham, who caught his first touchdown Thursday, said everyone knows their roles. ``The biggest thing about this team is that no one is jealous of the others. We're not concerned about stats or who gets the ball or who scores the touchdowns, as long as the ball is caught and that touchdown is scored.

``We've barely scratched the surface.''
 7 years ago '04        #6087
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
WOAT...and its really not even debatable
 7 years ago '06        #6088
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
its great to be a cane fan man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the family the U!!!
 7 years ago '07        #6089
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,223 | Props total: 459 459
no lie tho i see this bandwagon been gettin outta control

f**k them bandwagon n*ggas....s**t pisses me off to the 10th degree.

but i like the way the team staying level-headed
 7 years ago '05        #6090
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
no lie tho i see this bandwagon been gettin outta control

f**k them bandwagon n*ggas....s**t pisses me off to the 10th degree.

but i like the way the team staying level-headed
haha no doubt - we went through the kyle wrights. the freemans. now everyone wants to be a hurricane fan

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #6091
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Here are some statistics that might have put UM fans in a disbelieving stupor the past several years -- but not now: The ninth-ranked Hurricanes are eighth nationally in passing offense, 16th nationally in total offense and 29th in scoring.

Some other eyebrow-raisers: The Hurricanes are second nationally in passing efficiency and ninth in sacks allowed.

This offense is more than sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris, though he already is being hyped by several national commentators as a Heisman candidate.

``I really don't want it right now,'' Harris said of the respect he and his teammates are getting. ``I still want to f!ght for it. I still want people to think that we're underdogs and we're going into the game losing by 30 so we can show people what we're made of and what we're capable of.

``We still have more in store.''

It's almost strange to hear people talking about UM's impressive offense as the Hurricanes prepare to travel to Blacksburg, Va., to meet No. 11 Virginia Tech at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in another nationally televised showdown. The Canes (2-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) are 2 ˝-point favorites.

In 2007, Randy Shannon's first year as head coach and Patrick Nix's first year as offensive coordinator, the Canes finished 110th of 119 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in total offense. They were 108th in passing offense and 101st in scoring.

Last year, Nix's final season before current coordinator Mark Whipple took over, the Canes were 89th in total offense, 77th in passing offense, 78th in rushing and 50th in scoring.

The Hurricanes' offensive line, supposedly the team's weakness before the season began, has been stellar. Harris has been sacked once. The speedy receivers are running precise routes. The top two running backs -- Graig Cooper and Javarris James -- averaged more than 5 yards a carry in last Thursday's 33-17 victory against then-No. 14 Georgia Tech.

`THE GUYS UP FRONT'

``It starts with the guys up front, the offensive line,'' Shannon said. ``They've done a great job of allowing us to run the football and provide protection for us to get the ball out of Jacory's hands to different receivers. There's not a go-to guy. We spread the ball around nicely. It was a bunch of guys the first game. Now it's [receiver] LaRon Byrd, or it's the tight end, or [fullback] Pat Hill.

``You don't know who is going to catch the passes, so you can't really key into one person. This offense has done a great job of utilizing the people around them.''

Against Georgia Tech, nine players caught passes for UM.

The Hokies (2-1, 0-0) are uncharacteristically 77th in total defense and 107th in rushing defense -- but 27th in pass defense.

Byrd is mostly concerned with his own team.

``You play the game to be No. 1,'' said Byrd, a sophomore who has five catches for 83 yards and a touchdown. ``We've got to do better. We're still making a couple [of] mistakes.''

Byrd said the offense starts with Harris.

``He's the leader,'' said Byrd, 6-4 and 215 pounds. ``He puts the ball in the best position for us to catch it. And the offensive line is giving him great time.''

Receiver Travis Benjamin, the smallest Cane at 5-10 and 175 pounds, leads the team with seven catches for 157 yards and a touchdown. ``It feels good because it doesn't matter who gets open,'' he said. ``We work as a team on offense.

``Coach Whipple came in and gave us the type of offense that he knows we can make big plays off of, so everybody is anticipating playing well for the rest of the season.''

NEW PLAYS MIGHT BE IN STORE

Benjamin, who said last week that UM had barely begun to unleash its new offense, said Tuesday that Virginia Tech might see some new plays as well.

``There are some things here and there that he put in this week that will hopefully help us beat the Virginia Tech defense,'' Benjamin said. ``They're a good, solid, very disciplined defense. They tackle well and in formation they hardly bust.''

Tight end Jimmy Graham, who caught his first touchdown Thursday, said everyone knows their roles. ``The biggest thing about this team is that no one is jealous of the others. We're not concerned about stats or who gets the ball or who scores the touchdowns, as long as the ball is caught and that touchdown is scored.

``We've barely scratched the surface.''
 7 years ago '05        #6092
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
lmao speaking of bandwagon

By SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz, known as the anti-Cane to most University of Miami Hurricanes supporters, is now a UM believer.

Holtz, an ESPN commentator, was a guest of sports-radio talk show 790 The Ticket on Tuesday and told co-host Krystal Fernandez that Jacory Harris ``would be on one of my five top Heisman candidates right now.''

``We did our show from the Miami-Florida State game and that was a difficult environment,'' Holtz told Fernandez. ``I thought that Florida State would win that game by a couple of touchdowns. I like what Randy Shannon has done there, but I just didn't think they were ready. Jacory Harris, for a sophomore, came out, and the poise he had and the way he played and the throws that he made. Just no matter how how difficult the situation he kept his poise. . . .

``I've got to tell you, [offensive coordinator] Mark Whipple has done a tremendous job with that offense, but that's the Miami of old. I mean I watched them against Georgia Tech and that was no fluke against Florida State because they jumped all over Georgia Tech. Last year Georgia Tech rushed for 400-plus yards and they couldn't get to the line of scrimmage this year. Then, when I saw [Travis Benjamin's] punt return and the [Jordan Futch] block that was made by Miami, I said, `That's the Miami team that I competed against for the many years I was at Notre Dame.' ''

Holtz was asked by Jorge Sedano if he was surprised Miami jumped to No. 9 in the a.ssociated Press poll.

``No, I'm really not,'' Holtz replied, ``because they're the only team in the country that has beaten two ranked teams. Now they get the chance to beat three ranked teams and the following week against Oklahoma it will be four ranked teams.

``I tell you, they win the next two games and they'll be in the top four.''

Holtz said he will pick the ninth-ranked Hurricanes to win against No. 11 Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., on Saturday.

``I will not pick against Miami again until they lose.''

• UM participated in a closed practice early Tuesday morning. Linebacker Arthur Brown walked off the practice field with his left hand and thumb thickly wrapped in a soft cast or covering. Tailback Lee Chambers, who was injured against Georgia Tech, had a soft brace around his right ankle.

UM coach Randy Shannon will talk to the media Tuesday afternoon.
 7 years ago '07        #6093
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
i watched that on sportscenter wit a grin on my face

we have a long way to go tho....
 7 years ago '07        #6094
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
f**k Lou holtz he just needs to stay on that ND Bandwagon tho
 7 years ago '04        #6095
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
Miami's offensive options seemingly endless

September 23, 2009 9:02 AM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Heather Dinich

When Miami coach Randy Shannon took over the program three seasons ago, there were only about three or four scholarship receivers on the roster -- far below the usual eight to 10 most schools carry. So this offseason, when receivers coach Aubrey Hill faced the popular question, ‘You’ve got so many receivers, wouldn’t you rather just have one guy?’ his response was logical:

“I said, ‘If you’re at Christmas, would you rather have one toy, or as many toys as you can?”

Now, after building depth with recruiting classes that included some of the elite talent in the country, and players who could contribute immediately, the Hurricanes’ toy box overfloweth.

Twelve different players have caught at least one pass for the No. 9-ranked Hurricanes heading into Saturday’s showdown at No. 11 Virginia Tech. And six of them have at least five catches. Seven different players have scored touchdowns in wins over two ranked ACC opponents. Miami returns nine of its top 10 leaders in all-purpose yards from 2008. Running backs Graig Cooper and Javarris James have helped the Canes to a 7-2 record when they combine for at least 25 carries. And, of course, they’ve finally got a quarterback to lead them all in Jacory Harris.

“This Miami team we’re getting ready to play,” said Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer, “Wow.”

Receivers Travis Benjamin, Thearon Collier, Davon Johnson and Kendal Thompkins bring straight speed, quickness, elusiveness and big-play capabilities. Leonard Hankerson and Aldarius Johnson are talented possession players with great hands who move the chains. LaRon Byrd and Tommy Streeter can stretch the field deep with their speed and height. Cooper is elusive, while James is the power back, and Lee Chambers and Mike James provide dependable depth at the position. Tight ends Jimmy Graham and Dedrick Epps have both given the offense a boost, while the offensive line makes it all possible.

“The opposing team can’t just focus on one player,” said Byrd. “You look at a lot of teams in the country, like Oklahoma State. They have Dez Bryant, so you have the defense lock on Dez Bryant and the offense is going to have a tough time. You look at Alabama, Julio Jones. They lock down on him and Alabama is going to have a tough time. You look at us, we have so many weapons you can’t just lock on one player. If you double up on Travis Benjamin, then Aldarius Johnson is going to have a big game. If you double up on him, then Hankerson is going to have a big game, and so forth and so forth.”

Miami’s versatility is not only in its athletes, but also in its playbook. The addition of offensive coordinator Mark Whipple, coupled with the wide array of abilities, size and speed on the roster, has made Miami’s offense the total package and extremely difficult to defend.

“He’s just so creative, bringing so many different offenses and making it Miami’s offense,” Hill said. “He’s been one of the most creative offensive coordinators I’ve been around and knowing how to set-up plays, run and pass. That’s been really good for the whole coaching staff and also the players because they’re really, really excited to come into the meeting room to see what the mad scientist is creating next.”

In fact, some of the Canes have gotten into it so much some have tried to write their own plays on the board.

“Some have had consideration,” Hill said with a chuckle, “and some haven’t.”

Almost all of the players, though, have had their moments in the spotlight.

“We spread the wealth around to each guy,” Shannon said. “They know that they have to run their routes and everything full speed because they don’t ever know when Jacory is going to throw the football to them. That’s the difference in this team.

“The best thing about it is the competition in practice. You don’t have to worry about a guy getting too extreme as far as thinking he’s the guy who makes the offense run, or he’s the guy who makes the defense run. We’ve got depth at those positions to say, ‘You know what? You don’t want to work hard? OK, fine. We love you, and you’re part of this program, but we’re going to go with somebody else.’ That’s a big help.”

And it’s a nightmare for opposing defenses -- even ones as renowned as Virginia Tech's.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for them,” said Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster. “They’re just right now, really a complete football team.”
 7 years ago '04        #6096
D.A.R.S. 5 heat pts
space
space
$10,476 | Props total: 423 423
Saw Javaris yesterday at the mall...Dude having cell phone issues
 7 years ago '04        #6097
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
my biggest worry is we come out flat and over confident for this VT game..
 7 years ago '05        #6098
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
my biggest worry is we come out flat and over confident for this VT game..
i remember when fsu fans thought we were delusional that miami was gonna come out first game of the yr - offense hittin on all cylinders

shiiiit if we did it against mickey andrews and his constant blitzing - we should be fine for vatech...whipple is gonna pick apart fosters blitzing schemes to death
 7 years ago '05        #6099
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
looks like this yr we wont be have ne games aired on ESPNU

Media crush starting to wear on Randy Shannon

> Posted by Shandel Richardson on September 23, 2009 10:23 AM
CORAL GABLES _ UM coach Randy Shannon sat on a bench at Greentree Practice Fields Wednesday. His hands were on his knees, his head slumped.

When Shannon raised his head, he let out an exhausting, "Y'all ready" to the group of reporters. The players are usually the ones dragging after practice, but Shannon looked like a f!ghter contemplating not coming out of his corner for the12th round. He's gone the distance this week.

With the Hurricanes now a national story, he's been in constant contact with the media since cracking the Top 10. Shannon said he's gone "above and beyond the call of duty" in trying to accommodate every media request.

Several national writers have called. ESPN is in the picture. On Tuesday, there was a camera crew setting up outside his office for another interview.

"Probably 10 times as much," Shannon said when asked about the increased media attention. "I've never done so much media before."

Shannon should be thankful for one thing: At least the questions are about keeping the players grounded instead of keeping his job. Because many felt the Hurricanes would be 0-2 at this point, and we know where those questions would have been headed.

A few thoughts: -Cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke said Wednesday morning he is 100 percent, but he will have to work his back into the starting lineup. For now, he's hoping to have an impact on improving kickoff coverage. Last week, there were several missed tackles against Georgia Tech. "I'm on kickoff now," he said. "It's a challenge for us. Coach (Michael) Barrow is a great coach and he'll have us ready for it."

-For the second consecutive week, the Hurricanes are preparing for an elusive quarterback. Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor is a dual threat, just like Georgia Tech's Josh Nesbitt.

UM has continued to use a wide receiver as the scout team quarterback to simulate Taylor's speed.

"He can move really good," defensive end Olivier Vernon said. "We're all preparing for that. In practice, we have receivers at quarterback so we should have no problems in the game."

-Tight end Richard Gordon (shoulder) returned to practice, but Shannon refused to comment on whether he would play Saturday. Wide receiver Aldarius Johnson (groin) and defensive tackle Marcus Forston (undisclosed) also remain questionable. Shannon did say Tuesday he wants to bring Johnson back slowly to prevent further injury.
 7 years ago '04        #6100
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Practice Report: 9/23
Sep. 23, 2009

By: David Lake

DeMarcus Van Dyke
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami completed their second practice in preparation for Virginia Tech at 7:15 AM.

Read here for the latest news and notes coming out of today’s practice.

Opening Statement

“It is the second day of practice for Virginia Tech. The guys did well and flew around today. A lot of things were executed and I liked the tempo the way the guys practiced with today and the rhythm that was going. It was good to see.

News & Notes

• Olivier Vernon played just 18 snaps against Georgia Tech and still led the team with three tackles for loss. Shannon is impressed with Vernon’s play early in the season. “It was great production. He did a great job of executing what we need to get done against Georgia Tech…He is powerful, but he is more athletic than anything. He gets himself out of tough situations because he is so athletic and strong.”

• Cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke is back practicing this week. Shannon said he is glad to have Van Dyke back this week. “He is back and you can never have too many corners,” Shannon said. “It helps you out on special teams because now you can put guys in certain situations.”

• Shannon said he will be changing the positioning of some of the players on the kickoff unit. Shannon says there won’t be any new players on kickoff coverage. “We know we have to make corrections on the coverage because they have a good kickoff returner,” Shannon said.

• Matt Bosher has bounced back from his two missed field goal performance against Georgia Tech, hitting all his six or seven field goals after practice, Shannon said. “But you never know until game time comes.”

• Miami is averaging 2.3 yards per punt return this season. Shannon said he “would like to get more out of the punt return team” this week.

• Shannon did not have any update on the status of defensive tackle Marcus Forston or tight end Richard Gordon. Shannon said each player practiced “a little.”
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy