most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
48 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
87 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #5881
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Practice Report: 8/27
Aug. 27, 2009

By: David Lake

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami resumed practice at 5:45 AM today after the first day of classes on Wednesday.

With the sun not out yet as the Hurricanes began practice, the team worked out under the lights of Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Miami resumes practice tomorrow at 5:45 AM.

Opening Statement

“We came out and it was good. It was good, physical, and sharp. There was no layoff and no slack off. Guys were enthusiastic and we got things done in about an hour and 30 minutes, which was good. We were focused. We are going early because of the thunderstorms in the afternoon. You always try to get practice in. If it rains in the morning, then you can always go in the afternoon.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Shannon says he is not worried about the team potentially being tired for night games since they will be practicing in the morning for the rest of the season. “Mentally, they just have to stay focused and we think the things we did this summer as far as practicing in the morning and scrimmaging at night, we didn’t see a difference. We saw more enthusiasm at night because of the sun factor and the adrenaline of night games.”

• None of the players were late for today’s practice, Shannon said.

• Shannon highlighted running back Lee Chambers for his performance in the scrimmage on Tuesday in both running the ball and on special teams. “He was just phenomenal on both sides and when you see a guy like that develop and he is coming off the bowl game and an injury in the spring, we are pleased to see him come back the way he did.”

“He had some tough hard runs and made a couple of tackles and some blocks on special teams.”

• RBs Damien Berry, Mike James, and Lee Chambers all scored touchdowns in Miami's scrimmage on Tuesday.

• Shannon says he does not expect to take in any transfers during the season. “You get a lot of kids that want to transfer in,” Shannon said. “We are solid with what we are going to do this year.”

• Shannon on how backup quarterback A.J. Highsmith performed today: “He did a lot of good things, but he still made some mistakes, but there is a learning curve which is something he will have to overcome and then he will make some great plays.”

• The first team offense was: QB Jacory Harris, RB Javarris James, FB Pat Hill, WR LaRon Byrd, WR Leonard Hankerson, TE Dedrick Epps, LT Jason Fox, LG Orlando Franklin, C A.J. Trump, RG Joel Figueroa, and RT Matt Pipho

• The first team defenses was: DE Olivier Vernon, DT Joe Joseph, DT Allen Bailey, DE Marcus Robinson, LB Sean Spence, LB Darryl Sharpton, LB Colin McCarthy, CB Brandon Harris, S Randy Phillips, S Chavez Grant, and CB DeMarcus Van Dyke.

• WR Leonard Hankerson wore green non-contact jersey during today’s practice.

• Senior DE Eric Mondur did not dress for practice. Shannon said Moncur will have to practice the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday before the Florida State game if he is going to be available for that game. “If he doesn’t go those days, he won’t play.”

• Freshman DE Dyron Dye did not dress for practice.
 7 years ago '04        #5882
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Fox: Early Practices Will Pay Off
Aug. 27, 2009

By: David Lake

Jason Fox
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami started practicing today at 5:45 AM on Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Read here for what Jason Fox had to say about the early morning practice, why they can be beneficial, and what he had to say about the recent quarterback transfers.

What time did you wake up today?

“Five o’clock. It was an early morning, but actually to be honest with you I think we came out and did a really good job. That is a challenge, getting up in the morning, and for the whole team to do that and come out here and practice with a good attitude takes a good attitude and we did that this morning.”

“We got a lot of work done and it is definitely going to pay off for us. It was something the coaches definitely wanted to do and we have to get up earlier, but we got a lot of work done and we will be ready for Florida State.”

Does having all day to recover when you practice in the morning matter?

“Absolutely, that is one of the reasons why we are doing it. Another reason is this time of the year there is a lot of lightning and thunderstorms, so when you go out and have to come in once or twice in a practice, that ruins the momentum of the practice and this way we have a chance of getting work done and getting ready for Florida State.”

Do you lose something now that you don’t have the advantage of practicing in the heat?

“Not really because we were out here for a month straight in that heat during fall camp. We know what it is like and we have a good base for our conditioning. We know what it is going to be like on Saturday, so we are ready to play. We don’t care how hot or cold it is, we are going to play football.”

How has the quarterback transfers of this week affected things in the locker room?

“It is hard because sometimes that can be distractions, but as a football team you have to limit your distractions and not think about it and remember why we are here. We are here to play football and win football games. Anything else besides that, we have to push off to the side.”

Were the transfers a surprise to you?

“You can’t really do anything about it. That is a personal decision and that is what they wanted to do for their career and that is going to help them out personally. As a team you have to send them on their way and wish them good luck, but we still have to get ready.”
 7 years ago '04        #5883
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,792 | Props total: 1398 1398
Boy, i feel like im going crazy waiting for this game to start....i refuse to drink any alchohol until the game.
 7 years ago '06        #5884
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,597 | Props total: 12031 12031
playnogames comes thruuuu!!!

7 years ago '05        #5885
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
After the recent surprising departure of Miami Hurricane quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook, there seems to have been a never ending argument. That argument centers around one thing: “The Miami Way”.

The Miami Way is competition. It is where Coach Shannon tells a recruit that next year he is going to recruit someone to take his job. It is where competition breeds greatness. It is also where egos and sometimes hearts are broken.

So the question is, is The Miami Way always the best way?

This is a new day and age in college football, where more and more each year the talent level all across the Country is becoming closer and closer. The main reason for this could very well be teams playing more and more freshman.

You saw it last year with your own “Baby Canes”, and in other high profile programs with players such as Terrell Pryor and Julio Jones. More and more each year talented freshman play, and make big plays than possible ever before.

Can you say “Sean Spence” or “Aldarius Johnson”? Yeah I thought you could!

Many of those same freshmen may have grown up wanting to play for one team, but end up somewhere else after the promise of playing time as a freshman. And let's keep in mind, in the mind of a 17 or 18 year old there is a big difference when hearing “I promise you will get playing time as a freshman”, versus “I promise you will get a chance to compete for playing time as a freshman”.

The difference in those two lines may very well be the reason so many kids play at schools they probably never knew anything about. It is also the reason why we “lose” so many kids from our own back yard.

Let’s face it, most of these kids, especially the highly regarded ones have a dream they want to fulfill, and that dream is playing in the NFLU. And like most kids, they most likely want the easiest route there. You can say what you want about that, or about parents teaching their kids certain values, but you can’t argue the logic.

When a kid wants to follow his dream who are we to degrade them or think any less of them? I would not be surprised if some kids commit to a school with the belief that if they don’t see the field they could always transfer. A lot of kids don’t see their “commitment” as a four year deal, but rather a “lets wait and see how much PT I get” and go from there kind of deal.

The Miami Way made UM great and will play a huge role in the road back to the top of college football. But the true Miami Way may also be a dying breed. How else can you explain teams like Wake Forrest, Duke, Ohio State, Rutgers and others coming into South Florida, from the Muck down to the 305 and “stealing” all these talented kids?

Depending on the year and depending on the position, they can all offer or promise playing time as a freshman. For example, could Randy Shannon really walk into Michaelee Harris’ home and promise him playing time at the WR spot when we have the best receiving corps in the nation? Probably not, but that will not stop other coaches from doing so which is why kids like him will play elsewhere or commit and transfer.

A lack of playing time has to be the biggest reason kids transfer. They want to see the field, they want to play and they want to fulfill their dreams. I am not saying this is the best way to go and I’m not falling on one side of this argument or the other, just trying to open a few eyes.

Someone earlier on the blog made a great point when he said “do you think Atkins regretted his decision to stay” because now he is a pro. That is a great point, but it’s also very rare that a lifelong back up makes the league.

And when you think about it, the numbers will show that most kids that transfer i.e. Kirby Freeman and Charlie Jones, don’t get any more playing time elsewhere. So with that logic most would think to stay, ride it out and see where it takes you. That might be easy for a bench warmer to say or do, but not a kid use to starting.

Most of these kids have started for years on their high school team and every other level of ball from Pop Warner on up. Now all of a sudden they are second string. When your kid comes home with a broken heart because he wants to play so bad, or because he perhaps sees his dream slipping away, what would you tell him?

All I’m saying is that I understand both point of views, and respect both sides of the argument, but in all honesty it doesn’t make much of a difference. If Jacory went down we would still be calling upon an inexperienced player who has never taken a college snap before.

So let’s all relax, take a deep breath and get ready for FSU.

One thing is for sure: Labor Day can’t get here soon enough.
 7 years ago '06        #5886
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
$3,922 | Props total: 1109 1109
Imma pray for jaHOry harris he gonna get his head split. Markus White +Nigel Bradham +Dekoda Watson here they come :applause::cool-smiley-009:
 7 years ago '04        #5887
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 Xaiv said:
Imma pray for jaHOry harris he gonna get his head split. Markus White +Nigel Bradham +Dekoda Watson here they come :applause::cool-smiley-009:
who??
 7 years ago '04        #5888
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 Xaiv said:
i feel sorry for yall secondary.
 7 years ago '07        #5889
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 465 465
 Xaiv said:
if you dont take ya a.ss to the fsu thread wit that bs

its gonna be some sad seminoles labor day:applause::greetings10:
 7 years ago '05        #5890
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES - Miami Hurricanes linebacker Arthur Brown just ignores the whispers.

Despite being the nation's top recruit last year, he has yet to see meaningful playing time. That doesn't expect to change this season with a move from outside to middle linebacker. Coach Randy Shannon said outside linebackers Colin McCarthy and Sean Spence will also see time at middle behind starter Darryl Sharpton, meaning less action for Brown.

"It really doesn't weigh on me," Brown said of struggling to meet expectations. "I, myself, have high expectations and I'm trying to make those because I don't worry about anyone else's."

Brown played mostly special teams last year. He said switching position could prove beneficial because he's starting to feel comfortable at the inside spot.

"Really, it's just all about me and how I take in what's coming at me," Brown said. "I really try to pay no attention to that other stuff. I just want to focus on me and do what I'm supposed to do."

QUICK HITS

--The high school coach of former backup quarterback Taylor Cook said he transferred because "he felt he was never going to play [at Miami]." Brad Dumont, who coached Cook at Rice High in Altair, Texas, said Cook grew worried when freshman A.J. Highsmith began receiving more reps in practice. With Cook and fellow redshirt freshmen Cannon Smith both leaving, the backup job belongs to Highsmith. The Hurricanes have just two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster.

--The Hurricanes had their first day of classes Wednesday and return to practice Thursday to a new schedule. Seven of the eight remaining practices will begin at 5:45 a.m. The Hurricanes usually worked out in the afternoon once the semester started. Shannon said the decision was made for weather reasons.
Copyright 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
 7 years ago '05        #5891
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Friday practice notes

The Hurricanes practiced for 90 minutes this morning under the lights at the baseball field, and backup quarterback AJ Highsmith had a strong day with three long touchdown passes.

Two went to Leonard Hankerson, who is back off a minor leg injury, and one went to LaRon Byrd.

Byrd praised the play of Highsmith, saying, "He was coming in as a freshman probably thinking he was going to be behind the other two guys, but things happen and it's a blessing on his part. Now he's the second-string quarterback. As he's gotten more reps he's become more confident. The defense has been putting a lot of pressure on him, and he's reacting well.

"He's been hanging around Jacory (Harris), so he's picking up the offense real well - you know how smart Jacory is. They've been working like big brother-little brother every day."

* The receivers are sharing reps around.

Byrd, Aldarius Johnson, Tommy Streeter and Davon Johnson are playing X receiver.

At the Z receiver spot is Leonard Hankerson, Travis Benjamin and Kendal Thompkins, and both Johnsons are also getting some reps there as well.

The slot receivers are Thearon Collier and Thompkins.

"The five best or six are going to travel," Byrd says.

Of the offense in general, Byrd said, "The offense is looking real good. We play Florida State, and we're motivated. It's football season and I'm pumped about it."

* Matt Pipho is set to begin the season as the starting right tackle.

"It's coming real well," Pipho said. "We're rolling, having fun."

As an offensive tackle, Pipho knows as well as anyone what it cost this team losing Adewale Ojomo for the season and possibly Eric Moncur for part of the season.

"Ojomo, he was my personal least favorite to block, so that's rough," Pipho said. "But we're not worried about it at all. We have a lot of kids that are going to play - Marcus Robinson, he gives me fits."

Pipho also says he's astounded how every time a new running back comes in for reps, they do just as well as the previous running back.

"We've got like 12 backs," Pipho said. "You don't miss a step when you put anyone in. It's awesome. It's fun to block for them."

Pipho says with the departure of Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook the linemen aren't looking at it as there's any more pressure on them to protect Jacory Harris.

"It's no pressure - we know he won't get hit," Pipho said. "It's not a big deal. I'm not worried about it.

"Jacory is like our little brother. We can't let him get hurt. Whether you have 12 quarterbacks or one quarterback, you have to think the same way. Otherwise you're going to lose games."

The line is giving reps at various spots to different linemen. Behind Pipho is Jermaine Johnson, and guards Orlando Franklin and Joel Figueroa have also gotten reps there.

At center the team has AJ Trump and Tyler Horn, but Brandon Washington and Pipho have also gotten reps there.

"We're just playing everywhere - that way we can move around if people get hurt," Pipho said. "We want to make sure we have about four people that can play each position - that way if people get hurt you can move around and be fine."

The only linemen who hasn't moved around - Jason Fox.

"We don't need him to switch over because your priority is left tackle - he'll be there as long as he's healthy," Pipho said.

* Matt Bosher says he continues to work on his kickoffs in practice, and he says it's still possible he will handle all three duties as he did a year ago.

"Jake and I are both working on everything right now," Bosher said. "We're working on everything together."

* The team will return to practice Sunday afternoon, when quarterbacks Jacory Harris and AJ Highsmith will address the media for the first time since the transfer of Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook.

Cook is reportedly in the process of transferring to Rice; Smith's prep coach said he hoped to have a final three schools hammered out by Saturday.
 7 years ago '05        #5892
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Shannon Q&A after Fri. practice

Q: What did you get accomplished in today's practice?

Shannon: It was just a regular practice, ones against ones, a lot of work. We're just trying to get better, that's all.

Q: You've mentioned how well RB Lee Chambers is doing. Is he in the mix to possibly start?

Shannon: We don't even worry about depth charts. It's too far away from game time right now. We have to worry about just getting better as a football team, and right now the guys are really, really getting better.

Q: Is special teams the best way a guy like Lee can get your attention?

Shannon: No. Anybody can get your attention on special teams. It's just Lee has done a great job running the football this offseason, has done a great job playing special teams. He adds value to the team. Like (Graig) Cooper, he's done a great job on special teams. It's just guys that are stepping up right now.

Q: Has Lee gotten more reps in the closed scrimmages than Cooper and Javarris James?

Shannon: It's always the same. It's 20-25 plays, each one of the running backs.

Q: Where do you feel the team is right now with about a week-and-a-half before the first game?

Shannon: You don't know, because you're playing against each other. It's bodies against bodies. Guys know what everyone is going to do - you know what defense you're going to run, you know this guy's best pass rush move, you know this guy's pass set, you know (how) the guys run routes. You don't want to see mentals; you want to see effort. Mentals and effort are the biggest things you want to see.

Q: How has backup quarterback AJ Highsmith looked?

Shannon: Pretty good. He's still got some things he needs to get done. He's young, isn't going to know the whole playbook. But he's doing well. (The learning process) is always tough for a freshman. But he's doing well for us right now.

Q: Is Matt Bosher going to do all three phases of the kicking game?

Shannon: Don't know yet. The last two scrimmages Jake (Wieclaw) has done some kickoff and Bosher hasn't. So we're still working on that.

Q: How is Jake coming along?

Shannon: He's doing fine.

Q: How is LaRon Byrd coming along?

Shannon: He's doing okay too.

Q: You've switched from a two-hour afternoon practice to a 90-minute morning practice before the guys go to class. How do you make up that missing 30 minutes?

Shannon: We come out and we meet, get a little walk-through in and that's about all. It's a lot of walkthroughs we took out of practice, couldn't get it in for the morning.

Q: When do you start specifically preparing for Florida State?

Shannon: Seven days out.

Q: When do players learn if they're starting?

Shannon: Players don't even worry about it. You guys (the media) worry about it more than anybody. They'll probably (find out) two days before a game; I don't know, it just depends.

Q: You won't make the depth chart public beforehand - it'll just be whatever it is to start the game, that's what it is?

Shannon: That's whatever it is.
 7 years ago '05        #5893
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Saturday, Dec. 12, 9 p.m. – The U (Billy Corben)

The U (Billy Corben)

Throughout the 1980s, Miami, Fla., was at the center of a racial and cultural shift taking place throughout the country. Overwhelmed by riots and tensions, Miami was a city in flux, and the University of Miami football team served as a microcosm for this evolution. The image of the predominantly white university was forever changed when coach Howard Schnellenberger scoured some of the toughest ghettos in Florida to recruit mostly black players for his team. With a newly branded swagger, inspired and fueled by the quickly growing local Miami hip hop culture, these Hurricanes took on larger-than-life personalities and won four national titles between 1983 and 1991. Filmmaker Billy Corben, a Miami native and University of Miami alum, will tell the story of how these “Bad Boys” of football changed the attitude of the game they played, and how this serene campus was transformed into “The U.”
 7 years ago '06        #5894
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
@ shannon
 7 years ago '04        #5895
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 586 586
^ i would hate to be a reporter tryin to interview him. It's hard to get a feel on what he says as a fan.
 7 years ago '04        #5896
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
talking to shannon is like running into a brick wall. it aint going no where.
 7 years ago '06        #5897
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
i dont think he answered one question
 7 years ago '05        #5898
CO Butta 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,394 | Props total: 1 1
^^ shut up Dedos.... I hate ur fat face..u fat f**k
 7 years ago '06        #5899
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 CO Butta said:
^^ shut up Dedos.... I hate ur fat face..u fat f**k
have u seen your pictures

bhahahahahahaa

f**k outta hea you trailer park trash nerd

talking reckless behind the computer but if you saw me face to face

YOU WALKIN DAT WAY

----------------------------------------->
 7 years ago '05        #5900
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
A quarterback exodus. Randy Shannon in coaching-contract limbo. A player's jaw broken when he was cold-cocked by a teammate in the locker room. Injuries. Adaptation to the schemes of new offensive and defensive coordinators.

What we have at the University of Miami is turbulence.

But what's unusual about that? And what's wrong with that? Anyone who follows Hurricane football does so with seat belt securely fastened.

A wild ride is much more fun than a tame one.

What has been lost amid the typical preseason diversions is that UM will be a better team in 2009.

It already is a better-behaved team than rivals Florida and Florida State. No arrests or cheating scandals here. Shannon runs a tight ship.

With 10 days until the boffo season opener at FSU, the sense of urgency that has enveloped the UM program is piercing it. Practices have been moved to 5:45. That's a.m. Which means UM players are waking up when other college students are nodding off and breaking huddles with cries of ``cock-a-doodle-doo!''

Everyone wants to make amends for the 0-3 finish of last season immediately. Everyone wants to improve Shannon's 12-13 record ASAP. Everyone wants to reverse the 19-19 record of the past three years right now.

The renaissance can begin Sept. 7 in Tallahassee, where UM won in 2007.

In fact, UM is 15-11 against FSU since Howard Schnellenberger's championship season, and UM is 7-6 against FSU in hostile and electric Doak Campbell Stadium in that span of time, with enough bizarre twists to put Bobby Bowden in a straitjacket.

Expectations are high for a team that never found its groove last season with an awkward two-quarterback system and colander defense.

Any slack afforded Shannon is being reeled in, especially at UM, where the dynastic era (five national titles from 1983 to 2001) seems more distant by the day and where fundraising leaps with a top-10 ranking.

Anxious and genius Canes fans obviously know more about strategy and personnel than Shannon, who has spent nearly 20 of his 43 years coaching or playing at UM.

But he loves the challenge, and he has imparted that feeling to his players.

``We don't look at it as pressure but as opportunity -- an opportunity to show ourselves and show we can come out of adverse situations,'' said Chavez Grant, aka Grass Hoppa, defensive back and one of the team's senior leaders. ``Physically we're always good, but we have really improved mentally. Guys know what to expect.

``Coach Shannon may fuss us out and guys just come right back and respond.''

Last year the response was often confusion and retreat. Young UM lacked snarl power.

``A lot of people will write us off and say we need at least another year of rebuilding,'' receiver LaRon Byrd said. ``We've had some down years, but we're not rebuilding anymore. We're reloading.''

This year, the players are weathering the waves with confidence. Backup quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook transferred earlier this week, realizing they would be playing behind sophomore Jacory Harris for three years.

Adewale Ojomo is out with a broken jaw, and Eric Moncur continues his battle with injuries -- two big dents in the defensive line.

Shannon is in the third year of a four-year deal that UM has not extended, which makes for nebulous conversations with recruits.

NO DARK CLOUDS

``It gets kind of cloudy sometimes,'' safety Randy Phillips said. ``I tell the guys we can only control our attitude and effort.

``We have no say-so on coach Shannon's contract -- but I have never seen him as relaxed and calm as he is now. He rarely has to raise his voice or punish people because everyone has matured.''

That maturity has manifested itself in a smooth offense with big-play receivers, consistent running backs and a harder-hitting defense that finishes tackles and forces many more turnovers -- at least in practice.

Will it be enough for UM to break out of its middle-of-the-ACC-pack rut and earn time and trust for Shannon?

It's dark at 5:45 a.m., but illumination is coming.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Single Mothers Infographic
230 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
8 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
85 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside FAST & FURIOUS 8 Trailer Teaser (2017) (Like the announcement for the a..
43 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Best Buy Buy 2 Get 1 Free 12/4/16-12/10/16
51 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
122 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside GTA Online: Import/Export coming December
46 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Brother acts like little sister is invisible & she believes him
73 comments
1 day ago