Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #5781
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
The Hurricanes practiced in full pads Wednesday at Greentree Field.

``We emphasized the run game and ended the practice with a two-minute drill,'' coach Randy Shannon said.

And unlike Tuesday, when the players started out lethargic, Wednesday's session was lively: ``They were very enthusiastic starting off and ended with a lot of enthusiasm,'' Shannon said. ``The team responded.''

• Shannon was asked if he is tapering the practice of Eric Moncur, Colin McCarthy and Randy Phillips. They all were injured early last season and got medical redshirts.

``They're going to get their days when they can back off because they're [veterans],'' Shannon said.

Shannon said he is trying to alternate resting certain players, in one respect so he can see their backups more: ``[Jason] Fox didn't go [Wednesday]. It was his day off. Each day, somebody will have their day off. You take Fox out, and now you can see what Ben [Jones], Jermaine [Johnson] and Brandon Washington do. You take Colin out, and you have Arthur Brown.''

• McCarthy, a linebacker back from shoulder surgery, had two interceptions.

• Junior kicker Matt Bosher was named to the preseason watch list for the Lou Groza Award, given annually to the nation's top collegiate kicker.
 7 years ago '07        #5782
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,223 | Props total: 459 459
Authur Brown needs no days off
 7 years ago '04        #5783
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
Authur Brown needs no days off
thats not what it said, or meant anyways.

it meant Colin out and Brown in, while Colin's resting
 7 years ago '04        #5784
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
I hope Brown gets red-shirted, if they feel he has any potential to be good.
 7 years ago '04        #5785
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 booie4 said:
I hope Brown gets red-shirted, if they feel he has any potential to be good.
no way brown gets redshirted...not with the lack of depth at linebacker
 7 years ago '04        #5786
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Practice Report: 8/13 Morning
Aug. 13, 2009

By: David Lake

Josh Holmes
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami finished the morning session of their first two-a-day of fall camp.

Read here for how today's practice went and what the players and coach Randy Shannon are saying following the practice.

Randy Shannon Opening Statement

“Two a days is two a days. You only get about three of them that you can do during the season. It is not like the old days when you can have five or six of them. If you have one you can’t have them two days consecutively. You have to have one, then off, and then you choose when you want your other ones.”

NEWS & NOTES

• Shannon says he likes spreading the two-a-day practices throughout fall camp. “We did that the first year and that was brutal on the players, but you have to get your mindset right which is good. You have to pick and choose when you want to use it on your players and when they have been practice and how they have been handling things.”

• Shannon has been pleased overall with the tempo and enthusiasm of the practices lately. “It was good today, it was great. Guys came out enthusiastic and they knew what they had to get done. Yesterday was enthusiastic too. We just had that one down day. That was it.”

• Shannon on how defensive tackle Josh Holmes is doing. Holmes is taking reps with the first team. “Josh is doing very, very well right now. He is really being active. He has been playing and he has been solid as one of our defensive tackles, but early in camp is always early. You can tell more when those scrimmages come.”

• Wide receiver Kendal Thompkins was one of UM’s big playmakers during spring football. Shannon on how Thompkins is carrying that over to fall camp: “It is a learning process for him because this is really his first two-a-days, so he started off fast but right now he is a little up and down and we have to demand a little more out of him. He knows it and he is responding. The more we stay on top of guys like that, they will be ok.”

• Because junior Leonard Hankerson is the oldest player at receiver for UM, he is looked upon to be the leader of that group. “Hank is fine. He is doing great and practicing well and making a lot of big catches. He is the veteran of the group and those guys talk to him a lot and look up to him,” coach Shannon said. “When you have a guy like that that works hard and has been through some ups and downs in his lifetime, they look up to him.”

• Shannon on his expectations of senior leadership: “I look at the seniors to be captains. They have been here for three years and they understand the importance of what we have to get done, so you lean on those guys to get things right in the locker room that you don’t know and they really do a good job.”

• Defensive end Gavin Hardin did not practice in today’s morning session. Shannon said Hardin could be out for some time.
 7 years ago '04        #5787
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Practice Report: 8/13 Afternoon
Aug. 13, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Tommy Streeter had a nice catch in the afteroon.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami finished the afternoon session of their first two-a-day of fall camp as they were in shoulder pads and shorts.

Read here for how today's practice went and what the players and coach Randy Shannon are saying following the practice.

Note: Coach Shannon spoke to the media following the morning practice and did not address the media following the afternoon session.

NEWS & NOTES

• The first team defense was as follows: DE Marcus Robinson, DT Josh Holmes, DT Marcus Forston, DE Olivier Vernon, WLB Sean Spence, MLB Colin McCarthy, SLB Jordan Futch, CB Brandon Harris, S JoJo Nicolas, S Vaughn Telemaque, and CB DeMarcus Van Dyke.

• It is not a surprise to see seniors S Randy Phillips, MLB Darryl Sharpton, and DE Eric Moncur not with the first team in this practice session since they are veteran players who have dealt with injuries in their careers and were given a break, something Coach Shannon has done in the past.

• OL A.J. Trump took it easy today and Tyler Horn filled in as the first team center and was backed up by Brandon Washington. The rest of the offensive line was as follows: LT Jason Fox, LG Orlando Franklin, RG Joel Figueroa, and RT Matt Pipho. And with those four players, you'll struggle to find a bigger line.

• WR Tommy Streeter caught a 50-yard touchdown pass and WR Aldarius Johnson caught a 20-yard touchdown pass.

• DE Gavin Hardin was at the afternoon practice, but was in just shorts. He still hasn't practiced yet this fall and Coach Shannon said earlier today that he'll be "out for a while" as he deals with an undisclosed injury.

• LB Kylan Robinson had an interception and S Vaughn Telemaque had a fumble recovery.

• Practice resumes on Saturday with a scrimmage, but is closed to the media. Following the scrimmage the team resumes practice on Monday morning with another two-a-day, their second of four scheduled this fall.
 7 years ago '05        #5788
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami football team completed its first two-a-day of fall camp Thursday, with an early morning practice in full pads before a late afternoon session in shells at the Greentree Practice Fields

Hurricanes Complete First Two-a-Day on Day Six of Camp Defense turns in a strong showing in both sessions The morning session was highlighted by a strong showing by the defense, including several stops in the red zone. Ramon Buchanan had a good morning session, recording an interception, a sack and a handful of tackles.
Offensively, a Jacory Harris to Jimmy Graham connection that resulted in a 60-65 yard gain proved to be one of the top plays in the morning. The two hooked up again in the afternoon session in 7-on-7 drills.

In the afternoon session, Tommy Streeter made a couple of long receptions - his last coming from Cannon Smith for a 35-40 yard gain. The defense held the offense to one score in red zone action.

Temperatures again held consistent, ranging from 85 to 88 degrees throughout.

After six straight days of practice to open camp, including Thursday’s two-a-day, the Hurricanes will take the day off on Friday before returning to the practice field on Saturday.

Practice Highlights

Morning Session:

· Ramon Buchanan recorded an interception in red zone drills and made several big stops, including a sack, in 11-on-11 action.

· Jacory Harris hooked up with Jimmy Graham (60-65 yards) and Travis Benjamin (35-40 yards) in 11-on-11 play.

· Olivier Vernon recorded two sacks, with one coming in third down drills and the other in red zone work.

· Mike James had a handful of plays of 10+ yards, including a few catch and runs in third down situations.

· Defense held the offense three straight plays on a 1st-and-goal from the three-yard line.

Afternoon Session:

· Tommy Streeter made two long receptions in team passing situations and had another nice grab in 7-on-7 drills.

· The defense held the offense to one TD in red zone drills. Aldarius Johnson had the touchdown catch.

· Linebacker Kylan Robinson intercepted a tipped pass for the defense.

· Running back Lee Chambers had a nice long run to convert a third down.

· Safety Vaughn Telemaque had a fumble recovery.

Post-practice notes

· Thursday marked the team’s first two-a-day of fall camp.

· The morning session and afternoon session each lasted just under two hours. Both sessions were the coolest practices of fall camp, with temperatures in the lower 80’s.

· After six straight days of practices, the ‘Canes will take off on Friday.

· The Hurricanes’ season-opener at Florida State on Mon. Sept 7 is 25 days away.
 7 years ago '04        #5789
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
McGee, Vernon are maturing fast

Last year, it was Sean Spence and Marcus Robinson who made big splashes on UM's defense as true freshmen. This year, look for defensive end Olivier Vernon and cornerback Brandon McGee to be those guys.

Both arrived early in the spring from high school and both have continued to show maturity and growth throughout the first week of practice. Wednesday, McGee recorded his first pick of the fall -- a huge confidence booster for a guy defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff told me was a bit unsure of himself. Thursday, Vernon recorded two sacks, with one coming in third down drills and the other in red zone work.

But it's more than big plays that McGee and Vernon are making. It's personal growth. Vernon took his promotion to the first team a few days ago on the left side -- ahead of redshirt sophomore Adewale Ojomo -- not as an ego boost, but as a reward for his hard work. "I always knew I could rush the passer," Vernon said. "But I feel like I'm not there all the way. I'm not 100 percent yet. I want to take it a step further."

When I asked Vernon (6-3, 250) if he had a streak of sacks going (we hear he's had at least one a day since practice began) he told me flatly "I'm not counting my sacks, I'm trying to make plays."

Vernon, who said Ojomo and Eric Moncur have been 'great leaders for him', said defensive line coach Clint Hurtt has been helping him improve his hands. "He's helping me with my hand placement, shooting my hands and keeping my stamina up," Vernon said.

McGee, meanwhile, said his confidence is rising. "I was struggling at first when I first came out for summer practice, coming off that surgery," said McGee, who had a broken bone in his ring finger worked on in the spring. "The upper classmen told me don't get down myself. I came around [Wednesday] and got my first interception of the summer. I had a couple pass breakups. I'm definitely feeling confident."

MORE NOTES...

> Tight end Dedrick Epps said after Thursday's first two-a-day and two days of full contact drills that he's "the same old, Dedrick Epps" and isn't experiencing any pain or discomfort from his previous knee injury. The 6-4, 253-pound senior had knee surgery in December after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament before the Emerald Bowl.

> Sophomore receiver Aldarius Johnson said he feels he's improved on finishing at the top of his routes, coming and out of breaks, and blocking since the end of the spring.

> QUOTE OF THE DAY: Defensive end Marcus Robinson on the talent at defensive end: "We're all like wild dogs in a meat house.":wow::applause::greetings10:
 7 years ago '06        #5790
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
:applause::applause::applause:
 7 years ago '05        #5791
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Randy Shannon has closed up shop for the weekend -- at least to the media -- and will hold his first scrimmage of the fall Saturday morning. Nobody except "special guests" will be able to see what's going on. But come Monday, we might learn what Shannon really thinks of his team.

While practice is important, Shannon has never been one to put too much stock into what a guy does during 7-on-7 work or goalline situations. Like he said earlier this week, it is easier for a defensive back to intercept a pass during the two-minute drill because he knows the pass is coming. It is easier for a linebacker to smack a running back in goalline situations when he knows the run is coming. So, that makes what Shannon or his players might be willing to tell us after the scrimmage a better litmus test. That being said, here are some early impressions, thoughts I've collected from being out a practice...

> The Canes' tight end situation might not be as bad as we initially thought. Not only is Dedrick Epps playing full speed and taking hits, but Jimmy Graham is emerging as someone who might actually be able to help the team. Graham had a long catch and run Thursday that impressed teammates -- including Epps.It wasn't the first big play Graham has made. He's scored multiple times and has had a few nice diving grabs too. If Graham can continue to pick up the playbook (he's learning about 15 plays a day), UM could essentially have two real playmaking tight ends this season. Two months ago, we worried there might not be one.

> Miami's young secondary is growing up. Interceptions in practice are on thing. But following my one-on-one conversation with defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff, I got the sense even he feels more confident in what his guys can do. "It's a relief when you aren't the only one yelling anymore," McGriff told me. "These guys are yelling at themselves. Now, they know when they do something wrong. That's a huge difference." Brandon Harris will probably end up being UM's best corner this season. Several receivers -- including LaRon Byrd -- have told me he's without question the toughest guy to beat because of the mix of his speed and physical play. McGriff said Harris has made huge strides. "He's a lot better than what he was last year at this time -- a trillion times better," Shannon said. "He's making plays, knocking down some balls, making interceptions. He's having fun with it."

> Freshman impact is going to be smaller than it was a year ago. The Hurricanes are a much deeper team than they were at the start of last season, which is why you probably won't see a lot freshmen in starring roles this season like you did last year. It's clear highly touted safety Ray Ray Armstrong is going to need time to develop. Same for offensive lineman Jared Wheeler and Cory White. The freshman who look like they will make an impact are defensive end Olivier Vernon (already practicing with the first team a left end), cornerback Brandon McGee (rotating with the first team at field corner), running backs Mike James (we all remember what he did in the spring) and Lamar Miller (he's had several impressive long runs and could end up returning kicks) and offensive lineman Brandon Washington (who might be the best available lineman off the bench).
 7 years ago '04        #5792
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
richard gordon is a waste of f**king talent
 7 years ago '04        #5793
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
man i gave up on richard gordon years ago. looks like tarzan, plays like jane
 7 years ago '05        #5794
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,654 | Props total: 3750 3750
 madness said:
[B][SIZE="5"]

> QUOTE OF THE DAY: Defensive end Marcus Robinson on the talent at defensive end: "We're all like wild dogs in a meat house.":wow::applause::greetings10:

that's a pretty homo quote...and of course a Miami fan agrees with homoness
 7 years ago '04        #5795
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 Junior G said:
how is it a "homo quote"

any normal person would get the metaphor
 7 years ago '04        #5796
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Junior G said:
n*gga you have "cro and primetime had a baby" under your avy....dont talk to me about gay
 7 years ago '05        #5797
CO Butta 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,394 | Props total: 1 1
Hey... Im trying to put together a Florida Fantasy Football League... 4 teams reppin each major school Miami, Fsu and Fla. Just people on the Bx.... Pm me if you want in.. I figure we have a AVY wager.. whoever reps the winning squad.. like a week or month ..whatever.. nothin major.

first 4 to pm me and actually want to play..not just sign up and let ur s**t sit there.. are in.
 7 years ago '05        #5798
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
i understand the metaphor...but still that s**t deserved a PAUSE
 7 years ago '06        #5799
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
 madness said:
n*gga you have "cro and primetime had a baby" under your avy....dont talk to me about gay
:owned:
 7 years ago '04        #5800
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
btw man...this has to be longest running thread on BX. this s**t has been going for along time...and this dont even include the first one we had going. Id like to shout everybody over the years holding it down in here. Even all the Noles and Gators that keep it interesting in here...lord knows we couldnt have a miami thread without yall lol.

what was that cat that use to like Ohio state/akron so much that came in here and got owned at one point. that s**t was classic
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy