Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kanye back in the Studio with Pete Rock and a bunch of Nintendo Wii Games
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
MMA Ronda Rousey turns off Stephen A. Smith in rousing promo for UFC 207
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #5741
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,798 | Props total: 1401 1401
man im so f**kin pumped. cant wait til sept 7.
 7 years ago '07        #5742
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
When they start fall pratices?
 7 years ago '05        #5743
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
When they start fall pratices?
today was the first day
 7 years ago '05        #5744
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
thought id hook ereyone up being that im stuck working midnight shift tonight so ill post some s**t

The Hurricanes worked out in shorts on the Cobb Stadium field for two hours this morning in front of an estimated crowd of 1,500.

And the fans saw the usual first day practice woes: Dropped passes, players who couldn't finish running drills at the end of the day and fumbled snaps.

The team did mostly individual work, with very limited 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 sessions.

There were two highlights that drew the biggest reaction from fans. The first was a 20-yard pass over the middle by Jacory Harris in 7-on-7 work that was deflected to Dedrick Epps (coming off ACL surgery), who ran it into the end zone. The other also came in 7-on-7's when Demarcus Van Dyke stepped in front of a walkon receiver and took a Cannon Smith pass back 50 yards for a touchdown.

Other 7-on-7 highlights: Sam Shields had a diving pass breakup of a Harris throw on the left sideline; Leonard Hankerson made a nice grab on a pass from Cannon Smith with a walkon in tight coverage; Tommy Streeter had a long TD grab; Brandon Harris had an interception of AJ Highsmith when Hankerson fell down on his route; Arthur Brown broke up a pass, missing the interception off his fingers.

In 11-on-11 work at the end of practice there were three fumbled snaps out of the 18 plays run by the offense. And the offense also had another fumble when a receiver put the ball on the ground after a short reception.

Highlights of 11-on-11's: Aldarius Johnson made a nice catch of a Jacory Harris pass on the right side for a gain of 15 yards; Micanor Regis made a nice play when he hit Mike James in the backfield for a loss of two; Andrew Smith had a sack of Cannon Smith.

* In injury news freshman Jamal Reid left practice early after appearing to strain a leg muscle while backpedaling in defensive drills. Davon Johnson also couldn't finish the day's work and had an ice wrap around his hamstring before limping to the locker room at the end of practice.

Players that didn't complete running at the end of practice: Jermaine Johnson, Steven Wesley, Matt Pipho, Travis Benjamin and Ben Jones. Jeremy Lewis tried to f!ght through and walked on the side to complete the running with his teammates urging him on.

* In early inside run drills only one carry broke through the line - that came from Lamar Miller, who burst free up the middle.

* The opening practice stretch depth chart:

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

QB Jacory Harris; RB Javarris James (he split first team reps with Graig Cooper in drills); WR Leonard Hankerson (only WR in the first two lines - perhaps a message to other receivers they need to earn their place ... in coming out drills the first team receivers were constantly changing, and the two receivers to get the initial first team snap after stretching were Hankerson and LaRon Byrd); TE Dedrick Epps; OL (L to R) Jason Fox, Orlando Franklin, AJ Trump, Joel Figueroa, Matt Pipho

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE

QB Taylor Cook; RB Graig Cooper (he took the first snap in initial drills following stretching); TE Richard Gordon (he got the first snap with the first team after stretching); OL (L to R) Ben Jones, Brandon Washington, Tyler Horn; Harland Gunn; Jermaine Johnson (Note that fullbacks Patrick Hill and John Calhoun did not line up in places)

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

CBs DeMarcus Van Dyke, Brandon Harris and Chavez Grant all lined up in first line with safety Randy Phillips (projected starter Vaughn Telemaque stood in back of the lineups); DEs Adewale Ojomo and Steven Wesley (Eric Moncur was in the back and took second and third team snaps during drills as he comes off injury); DTs Josh Holmes and Allen Bailey (Marcus Forston shared first team reps in drills); LBs Sean Spence, Darryl Sharpton, Colin McCarthy

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE

CBs Sam Shields and Brandon McGee lined up with safeties Jared Campbell and Joseph Nicolas; DEs Olivier Vernon and Marcus Robinson; DTs Marcus Forston, Joe Joseph; LBs Ramon Buchanan, Arthur Brown, Jordan Futch
 7 years ago '05        #5745
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
• Among those opening with the first team at competitive positions Saturday: Leonard Hankerson and Byrd at receiver, with Kendal Thompkins in the slot; Josh Holmes (ahead of Marcus Forston) at one defensive tackle spot; and Adewale Ojomo and Marcus Robinson at defensive end. Javarris James and Graig Cooper split first-team running back snaps.
 7 years ago '05        #5746
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Before 1,500 sun-drenched fans at Cobb Stadium, UM took part in its first day of fall practice on Saturday morning.

“For the most part, it was pretty decent,” said UM coach Randy Shannon, who is starting his third season. “Guys flew around a lot more than I expected because we had given them 10 days off. It was a good sign.”

The best sign of all may have been provided by tight end Dedrick Epps, who did not appear limited during the two-hour workout despite undergoing reconstructive knee surgery in January. Epps, UM’s fourth-leading receiver last season, injured his knee during practice in December leading up to the Emerald Bowl.

“Dedrick is fine,” Shannon said. “He ran around today. It was like he didn’t miss a beat. I’m excited to have him back.”

Also taking part in their first practice session since last season were linebacker Colin McCarthy and defensive end Eric Moncur.

The Hurricanes return to practice on Sunday at 8 a.m. The team will don full pads for the first time on Wednesday and will take part in the first of three fall scrimmages on Saturday.

A few other thoughts and notes from Day One:

…..Freshman Jamal Reid sustained the first injury of the season. The defensive back from Mayo appeared to injure a calf muscle while back-pedaling. Receiver Davon Johnson missed the last part of practice after coming off the field limping and favoring his left leg.

….The crowd was fairly quiet, but let out a big roar after redshirt freshman Tommy Streeter made a nice catch.

…..There is nothing more painful to watch than 6-foot-9, 349-pound Ian Symonette trying to complete his post-practice sprints.

…..Among the more interesting position battles this fall will be for the No. 3 tailback job. Freshmen Mike James and Lamar Miller have gotten a lot of attention, but I think converted defensive back Damien Berry will win the spot over James, Miller and sophomore Lee Chambers.

……Former ‘Cane Najeh Davenport watched practice.

…..UM will hold Media Day this afternoon
 7 years ago '07        #5747
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
good s**t

not bad for the first day

wednesday is what im looking foward to tho. Pads bring out the real players. Sept 7th here we come
 7 years ago '05        #5748
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Moments after completing the final sprint of the Miami Hurricanes' season-opening practice Saturday, Eric Moncur slowly removed his helmet.

He looked exhausted.

Still, it's a safe bet that no Hurricane cherished being back on the field more than Moncur, whose time at Miami has been marred by heartbreak and disappointment -- chapters that he's determined to put behind him in 2009.
"I've been through some stuff," Moncur said, softly. "Stuff that some people don't go through in a lifetime."

Indeed, it's been one challenge after another for the 6-foot-2, 260-pound defensive end.

His college experience started a year behind schedule because of struggles with the SAT in 2003. His best friend Bryan Pata was shot and k!lled outside an apartment complex on Nov. 7, 2006, just a few hours after they walked off Miami's practice field together. And Moncur's mother Edwina, 42, died last year, not long after being diagnosed with rectal cancer.

"He lost his best friend," said Benny Moncur, the player's father. "And then he lost his other one."

On Aug. 30, 2008, Edwina Moncur entered a hospice facility in South Florida. Eric Moncur kissed her atop the head and promised to take care of the family, no matter what.

The next morning, he awoke to a text message from his brother, saying she was gone.

"Until then, I kept thinking, 'She'll get through this, she'll get through this,'" Moncur said. "I still can't believe it. I went home the night before she died, me and my girl slept on the couch and I couldn't do anything but cry. And when I got that text ... I just kept saying, 'Edwina Moncur, my mom, mom is dead, mom is dead, mom is dead.'"

Along with the emotional anguish, his physical pain was just starting.

Earlier that summer, Moncur had surgery to repair a sports hernia. He rehabbed vigorously, but pain in his midsection persisted, even though doctors insisted everything was fine. About a month after Edwina's death, Moncur simply said he couldn't play anymore.

Eventually, another doctor figured out why: He had a golf-ball-sized abdominal muscle tear, which had gone undetected. Still, Moncur missed the rest of the season, and Miami finished 7-6.

"I knew he was really hurt," Miami coach Randy Shannon said. "Eric's always been a guy, even in high school, who could play through pain. It didn't have anything to do with his mom. He was hurt. He was done."

Another surgery took place, this one to sew up the tear. Within weeks, Moncur starting feeling like himself again.

"Eric's got some things that he hasn't accomplished here yet," Shannon said. "He's a leader now."

Moncur could have gone to the NFL combine earlier this year, but would have been a longshot to get drafted. So to regain eligibility, Moncur needed to apply to the NCAA for an extra season, which was anything but a guarantee.

Then the NCAA sent word in February that Moncur could have a sixth year.

"I knew football was important to him before, but he's really, really taken it to a new level," Benny Moncur said. "He's using it to help himself heal. And it's working."

It all goes back to that last promise he made to his mother. Playing is his way to take care of his family.

Part of Edwina Moncur's legacy is her voice. The woman was loud, especially when her son made a big play. Even in raucous stadiums, Eric Moncur swears he could always hear his mom.

"I need him out there," Benny Moncur said. "It's helping him. It's helping me, too. I still have my moments where it's hard. But every day is a little better than the day before. I was always kind of reserved at games in the past. Not anymore. I've got to let it out."

His kid feels the same way. Moncur came to Miami determined to win a championship, and hasn't even celebrated a league title yet.

Now comes his last chance.

"All this, it's been the Lord's way of humbling me, man," Moncur said. "You go out and you think you're the top dog, somebody's going to put you in your place. Me and Bryan, we came here thinking it'd take us three years and we'd get right into the NFL. If it takes me six, then so be it. I'm here. I'm here for a reason."

Copyright 2009 by The a.ssociated Press
 7 years ago '06        #5749
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,706 | Props total: 12245 12245
good looks homie
 7 years ago '04        #5750
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
29 days!!!
 7 years ago '05        #5751
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
heres some more posts...stuck working midnight again so figured i post since i aint doing s**t at work....

CORAL GABLES _ For the last two season, we've heard stories about junior defensive tackle Allen Bailey as if he were Paul Bunyan. He's almost mythical because of his impressive workouts and freakish strength. But, actually, on the field Bailey has been downright ordinary. He's yet to fully display his talents on the field.

Will this be the year it finally happens? The `Canes sure hope so.

"Last year for him playing defensive end was like him being a true freshman," defensive line coach Clint Hurtt said. "...I thought he did a lot of positive things, but he's also got a lot to improve on."

The transition from high school hasn't been easy for the 6-foot-4, 288-pound Bailey. He entered as a linebacker, switched to defensive end the following year and now is playing tackle. The UM coaches have said the reasoning was because of depth. They placed Bailey where they felt he could add a body. Hurtt also said had Bailey not played linebacker that one season, he'd likely be on another roster.

"What people don’t understand is this: when he came in, he didn’t get a lot burn in terms of playing time because he was playing linebacker," Hurtt said. "If we didn’t play him at linebacker when he first got here, Allen Bailey would’ve never attended school here. People don’t understand that. If he didn’t come here, we would’ve been playing against him in Gainesville last year."

That's a cool story, but it's time for Bailey to be known for more than just his stories of k!lling snakes and alligators. This is his year to prove he's more than just muscles and veins.

So far, he's gotten accustomed to playing with "hand down," according to Hurtt. If his technique somehow catches up to his physical capabilities, the Hurricanes could have a future first-round draft pick. If not, he'll remain as a player still trying to find a position.

A few thoughts:

-Linebackers Colin McCarthy and Sean Spence both said at Media Day they would play some in the middle. Scratch Arthur Brown off that list. Coach Randy Shannon said Brown isn't ready because of inexperience. This once again proves Spence was years ahead of Brown coming out of high school, despite Brown being so highly-ranked by recruiting analysts.

-There are no plans of moving quarterback A.J. Highsmith to a different position ... at least not at the moment.

"Right now, [he's] a quarterback," Shannon said. "That's what we recruited him as. That's what we want him to be."

Shannon said he's been impressed by Highsmith's intelligence on the field. With that said, it's too early to tell if remains at quarterback.

-Right tackle Matt Pipho said guard Brandon Washington and tackle Jermaine Johnson have shown improvements. Washington is backup to Orlando Franklin, and Johnson is behind Pipho.

"I didn't develop until my third year," Pipho said. "I couldn't play a lick of football. They're doing a lot better than I was. It's promising. They've got a good future ahead of them."

Freshmen Cory White is playing right tackle and Jared Wheeler is at left guard.

smh at authur brown....i swear u can never take rivals rankings serious....i honestly see dude transferring just like willie williams.

Last edited by Deeangoe; 08-10-2009 at 12:27 AM..
 7 years ago '04        #5752
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
is arthur brown really that slow at picking up the defense? they must not have taught him shyt at kansas

worst comes to worst, i'd just put him out there and tell him "go tackle the guy with the ball". keep that shyt real simple, real basic....we cant let 5 star talent just rot on the bench
 7 years ago '07        #5753
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
hes from kansas what you expect....no comp

he can go to tenn with his brother

anyone heard anything bout Luc??
 7 years ago '05        #5754
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES _ DeMarcus Van Dyke made quite the splash as a freshman.

He started eight games, and was only supposed to improve with time. After struggling last year, Van Dyke is out to once again prove himself. He came on late in the year, but was never able to perform well consistently.

"I gave up a couple touchdowns," he said. "...I'm trying to use the last few weeks of last year and carry it over to this year."

Van Dyke said confidence was his biggest problem last season. He was beaten in coverage often and had a few missed tackles. It was tough to deal with, considering he arrived with so much hype and earned quality playing time as a freshman.

“It was my confidence,” Van Dyke said. “I was like, `I used to be better than this. I started eight games as a freshman.’ This year, and at the end of last year, I started going back to the old DeMarcus, making tackles and making plays on the ball. Hopefully, it just carries over to this year.”

Van Dyke has yet to record an interception, a streak he hopes to see end this season.

"It would get the monkey off my back," he said. "I hear that a lot, first interception, first interception. I've been patiently waiting."

A few thoughts from Media Day:

-Running back Javarris James had the biggest smile of anyone. He looks rejuvenated as he prepares for his final season. The reason is he has dropped 14 pounds, now weighing 207. He said it's improved his speed.

“Everybody picks on me now,” James said. “They say, `What you doing, you’re not eating or something?’ I go back home and everybody says I’ve gotten little. I’ve just slimmed down. My face is skinny.”

He’s spent much of the last two years battling nagging injuries. Last season he missed four games due to injury, including the Emerald Bowl. It resulted in a career-low 268 yards.

-Funniest story comes from defensive end Eric Moncur, who seems to have been around forever. He was granted a sixth year after earning a medical redshirt. Moncur remembers being a freshman and going to watch Sean Spence play in Pop Warner. Now, that's old.

The good news is Moncur says he's 100 percent healthy and ready to contribute despite being called "old man" by several of his younger peers.

-Got a chance to speak with Ray Ray Armstrong for the first time. He said he's kind of tired of the Sean Taylor comparisons. He'd rather just be Ray Ray.

-Spence and Colin McCarthy could both see some time at middle linebacker. They're working at both positions.

-The most entertaining position is the defensive line. These guys, especially Marcus Forston and Adewale Ojomo, are full of confidence. So much they have dubbed themselves the "Wipe Out Boys" because that's what they do to offensive linemen. No wonder defensive line coach Clint Hurtt calls this the most confident group he's worked with.

-New offensive coordinator Mark Whipple has earned the respect of the players by treating them as equals. Running back Graig Cooper said Whipple leaves more responsibility on the players instead of "dwelling on every mistake."

"He's real patient," he said. "He just lets us have fun ... He makes sure we correct our mistakes but he doesn't dwell on them. He's not always fussing at us like a high school kid or something."
 7 years ago '05        #5755
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 madness said:
is arthur brown really that slow at picking up the defense? they must not have taught him shyt at kansas

worst comes to worst, i'd just put him out there and tell him "go tackle the guy with the ball". keep that shyt real simple, real basic....we cant let 5 star talent just rot on the bench
yea i read somewhere that he said basically thats what the coaches told him...just go after the guy with the ball.
 7 years ago '07        #5756
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
@ the "Wipe Out Boyz"

:dancingcool:
 7 years ago '05        #5757
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The University of Miami football team held its second practice of the preseason and its first on the Greentree Practice Fields for approximately two-and-a-half hours Sunday morning. A day after opening camp in front of exclusive ticket holders at Cobb Stadium, the Hurricanes again worked out in helmets and shorts in hot conditions with the heat index reaching triple digits.

Practice Highlights
• On back-to-back plays in 7-on-7 drills, senior defensive back Ryan Hill broke up a deep pass intended for sophomore receiver Travis Benjamin before intercepting a pass in the right flat.
• Sophomore linebacker Arthur Brown made a diving interception in 11-on-11 action.
• Junior wide receiver Leonard Hankerson made two catches in the 20-yard range in 11-on-11 drills.
• Junior running back Graig Cooper made several plays (rushing and receiving) of 10+ yards.
• Senior defensive back Sam Shields made a few standout plays defensively, including a pass break-up on a deep ball intended for sophomore receiver LaRon Byrd.

Pipho Post-Practice
After practice, head coach Randy Shannon and several players met with the members of the media. Senior tackle Matt Pipho was among the group that was made available. He discussed a number of topics, including the upcoming season, his offseason workouts and his development as a player on the offensive line over the last four years at UM.

On offseason workouts - Coach Swasey makes sure each and everyone one of us are ready to play. Everyone goes all out and does everything that's possible.

On having more of a role this season - I came here to play football and I've waited four years to get significant playing time. Now's my time and I'm not going to let anything stand between me and that.

On the valuable experience he got at tackle against Virginia and Virginia Tech last season - That was the first time I played tackle in a game. Before last year, I played guard and center. Getting in the game against Virginia helped a lot, they had a stud linebacker and I was able to block him, so I said to myself, I can do this.

On pressure of playing more at right tackle this season - None at all. In the spring, I saw how I performed. I saw how I performed against Virginia and Virginia Tech. I haven't lost a step yet. I'm happy with what I am doing, and I think I'm going to be fine.

Getting to Know The "U" Freshmen - Cory White
Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.
Position: Offensive Line
Favorite Food: Chicken & Rice with cream of mushroom
Barrington Levy is in my iPod right now
I'm a `Cane because: It's all about family here
My training camp roommate is: Stephen Plein
Favorite part about being at the U right now: Football
My first two days of practice have been: Exciting
A.J. Trump keeps me laughing
I have learned so much from Jason Fox
My most freshman-like moment was when: I walked into a meeting late

Additional Jersey Number Changes
Senior tight end/long snapper Jake Byrne is wearing No. 87 this season while senior holder Matt Perrelli is now No. 33. Byrne made the switch to tight end during spring practice to add depth. He wore No. 69 last season while serving as the long snapper on PAT's and field goals. Perrelli, who has been kicker Matt Bosher's holder since their days at Jupiter High School, wore No. 19 last season.

Practice Schedule
Miami will hold approximately 18 workouts prior to the first day of class on Aug 26. Two of those workouts have been completed. The Hurricanes open the season on Labor Day Monday Night at rival No. 19 Florida State. Hurricanes' practices will start at 8 a.m. daily, with the exception of off-days on Aug. 14, 16, 20 and 22. Miami's first day in full pads is slated for Wednesday Aug. 12. Four two-a-day practices are slated for preseason camp with the first taking place on Thurs., Aug. 13 at 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. UM's other two-a-day practices are Mon. Aug. 17, Wed. Aug. 19 and Sun. Aug. 23. The schedule is subject to change.

TV Appearances
Miami already has been selected for three national television appearances, beginning with the Sept. 7 opener at Florida State (ESPN). Additional games chosen for national telecasts are the Hurricanes' home opener against Georgia Tech on Thurs. Sept. 17 (ESPN). Miami's game at UCF will air on CBS College Sports at 8 p.m. on Sat. Oct. 10.

Post-practice notes
• Sunday's practice was the team's first of the fall on the Greentree Practice Fields.
• The session lasted approximately 2 ˝ hours.
• Practice temperatures: Consistently in the upper 80's, with a heat index that reached 102.
• The Hurricanes' season-opener at Florida State on Mon. Sept 7 is 29 days away.

Last edited by Deeangoe; 08-10-2009 at 12:43 AM..
 7 years ago '04        #5758
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
hes from kansas what you expect....no comp

he can go to tenn with his brother

anyone heard anything bout Luc??
i doubt he goes to miami, his family is shook about what happened to bryan pata (r.i.p.)

he'll most likely end up with the turds
 7 years ago '04        #5759
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space

[video - click to view]

i was browsing thru some cane stuff on youtube and came across darnell "nuke" jenkins. he's one of the most underrated canes in recent history, a good player on really bad teams.

EDIT:i remember that school record 97-yard bomb @ 0:35:wow:...i wouldnt wish playing with wright and freeman on my worst enemy

Last edited by madness; 08-10-2009 at 01:22 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #5760
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
yea i liked jenkins sucks dude played with 2 bums

i remember the vatech game em and my boys was eating watch the game at flanigans and when he scored the td to put us up 20-0 we f**kin jumped up and down like lil kids we f**king spilt our beer and everything but we didnt care

the fsu game in 07 that last drive...sitting in the fsu student section and these bum a.ss fsu students talking s**t the whole game and he made the biggest clutch catches in that drive

he was a true cane for real...i remember when him and devin hester were denied admissions and had to go prep...they stuck with they commitments and returned to miami and not be lil b**ches like bobby washington and whoever the hell decided to jump ship after being denied admission
Home      

most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
182 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
269 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Teaser
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 8 - Mark Cuban: Trump is our number one draft pick
32 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy