Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #5721
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #5722
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 P. Dedos said:

[pic - click to view]

lmao props for that
 7 years ago '05        #5723
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
lmao i swear to god the gators are pathetic
 7 years ago '04        #5724
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Freshman RB James Getting Bigger
Jul. 28, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Mike James scores a touchdown in the spring game.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Freshman Mike James is looking to get in the mix at running back in 2009 after an outstanding spring.

James, who has added six pounds to his 5-foot-11 frame in the off-season and weighs 220 pounds now, enrolled at Miami in January after rushing for 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior at Davenport Ridge.

"My summer was good," James said. "I think I got stronger. I prepared and trained to be good. I've been working on my blitzes all summer and getting faster and stronger. I'm at 220 pounds, which is good. I feel I am padded up so I won't get injured."

James shined in the spring reeling off a number of long touchdown runs showing good vision, one-cut ability, and acceleration past the defense.

"It was great that I came in early," James said. "I felt like it helped me out a lot. My confidence went up a lot. I met some of my expectations so my confidence went up a lot."

James is battling for playing time behind a pair of two backs, who have racked up yards in their careers as junior Graig Cooper (1,523 yards, 8 TDs) and senior Javarris James (1,670 yards, 12 TDs) both are expected to carry the load.

That leaves James battling with spring game star junior Damien Berry, Emerald Bowl surprise standout sophomore Lee Chambers, and 2009 top Miami-Dade signee Lamar Miller.

"I want to get on the field and help the team any way possible," James said. "Getting the ball, that is a big expectation this year. Getting the ball and getting in the end zone."

Miami was recently picked to finish fourth in the ACC Coastal Division by the ACC Media after finishing 7-6 last season.

"The first four games are going to be tough, but I feel like we have a lot of great people coming back," he said.

A number of key guys do return this season including plenty of young talent including James, who has big goals this season.

"We are looking to go to the Rose Bowl," James said with a smile.
 7 years ago '05        #5725
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
heres the video of tavadis glenn

its towards the end....

7 years ago '04        #5726
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
University of Miami's defensive line is loaded with talent

One mark of the great University of Miami teams was a dominant defensive line. After a decline in recent years, an infusion of talent has the Hurricanes believing this defensive line could be their best in years. "We've got some guys who could be great,'' coach Randy Shannon said, mentioning Marcus Robinson and Adewale Ojomo. Some of the preseason buzz:

• Defensive tackles: Junior Allen Bailey, who shifted from end to tackle, had teammates buzzing after he lifted a UM-record 400 pounds in a power-clean last week. One staffer called him the program's strongest player, physically, in many years.

"Allen Bailey will be a nightmare for quarterbacks,'' linebacker Sean Spence said. "Just look at him. People think he's not even human.''

Bailey has gained seven pounds and weighs 290. And at defensive tackle, "I have to worry about less than I did at end. It's easier on my brain.'' Bailey led UM with five sacks in 2008, but "stopping the run is my first priority'' now. UM was 75th out of 119 teams against the run last year, and he is critical to improving that....

The issue with sophomore Marcus Forston, one UM staffer said, is he must go hard every down. Forston wore down physically at times last season but said he's stronger and knows he must be more consistent. "He reminds me of Cortez Kennedy, Warren Sapp when they were young,'' Shannon said this spring. "They are up and down. Some days he will dominate, some days he will get into a little funk''.....

And UM needs better play from its backup tackles -- senior Joe Joseph and junior Josh Holmes will be pushed by sophomores Jeremy Lewis and Micanor Regis and freshmen Curtis Porter (an early enrollee) and Luther Robinson. Eric Moncur said of the inexperienced players, Regis has improved the most "and is going to shock people.''

• Defensive ends: Moncur, a sixth-year senior, should start at one end spot, with Robinson or Ojomo at the other. Ojomo is better against the run; Robinson is an exceptional pass-rusher.

Moncur had six sacks in 10 games in '07 but missed nine games in '08 recovering from "complications'' from sports hernia surgery. "I never thought I'd be out that long. I'm better than I was before the injury. My strength was the last thing to come back.'' Teammates say his explosiveness has returned.

Coaches were impressed by Ojomo's dedication this offseason -- he came in often to watch film and has matured from last year, when he was suspended twice. "At a certain point, you have to grow up,'' he said.

Robinson (four sacks in '08) said: "I'm improving on stopping the run and being an every-down player. I'm hoping to be a No. 1 guy. Eric will make it easier because teams will prepare more for his side.''

Also in the mix: junior Steven Wesley, sophomore Andrew Smith, redshirt freshman Gavin Hardin and freshmen Olivier Vernon and Dyron Dye. "I've surprised people,'' Vernon, an early enrollee, said of his impressive spring. Look for Vernon to play some on third downs --"he has the skills to be a dominant pass rusher,'' offensive tackle Jason Fox said, joking that "half our team is defensive linemen.''
the d-line is LOADED...and we got chandler and nix coming next year. opposing qbs will be running for their lives
all the dbs better get ready to get a whole bunch of picks:applause:

we gotta get that o-line shored up tho, the left side is straight with fox and franklin but someone on the right side needs to step up and protect jacory
 7 years ago '04        #5727
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Johnson Slims Down, Gains Speed
Jul. 29, 2009

Aldarius Johnson is looking to improve on his freshman season when he caught 31 passes.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Wide receiver Aldarius Johnson has slimmed down to improve his speed on the field.

Johnson, who stands 6-foot-3, is down to 202 pounds, the lowest he's been since his junior year in high school.

Last year, he was up to 225 pounds.

"I'm at 202 pounds and that's good for me," Johnson said. "I am coming in and out of my break faster and running faster. I still feel strong. I like it."

As a freshman in 2008, Johnson led the team with 31 receptions for 332 yards and three touchdowns.

During the spring, he said his goals were to have 900 yards and 15 touchdowns. Slimming down should help his ability to make bigger plays and re-gain his speed that he showed while at Northwestern in high school.

"I want to be better at everything (this year), coming off the ball better, catching the ball better, running routes, and laying it all on the line for my team," Johnson said.

Johnson entered the summer at 214 pounds and wanted to continue to slim down.

"The summer went well," Johnson said. "I ran hard and stayed focused on what we are trying to get down. I worked on getting off the ball a lot better."

While many players spend time watching film, Johnson said he isn't spending too much time in the film room.

"I watch a little film, but I know I'll watch more coming up," he said.

Miami needs Johnson to have a big year and follow up on a solid freshman season, something recent Hurricanes Sam Shields, Lance Leggett, and Ryan Moore failed to do as all three had their numbers decrease in their second year.

While Johnson is expected to be the go-to receiver, he'll have some help as their are seven other receivers on the roster, all of which are ready and able to contribute this season.

"We are getting better by the day, not by the week," Johnson said. "We are going to be sophomores this year and we know what we have to do. We just have to come out and play."

Fall practices begin on August 8.
 7 years ago '04        #5728
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Game Slowing Down For OL Franklin
Jul. 29, 2009

By: David Lake

Orlando Franklin
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Offensive lineman Orlando Franklin is ready to put together a consistent season and reach his full potential this year.

Franklin (6-7, 318) has always been one of Miami’s most impressive physical specimens since he arrived at UM in 2007.

In the two seasons he has been at Miami, Franklin has started 14 games and been one of Miami’s best run blockers.

Going into this season, Franklin says he has noticed the game has slowed down for him and he expects to put together his best season yet.

“When I first got here and I was playing, everything was fast flowing in a game,” Franklin said. “Now you take so much reps at it that it is a process of thinking and everything has slowed down. Throughout the spring it was moving in slow motion.”

“I feel like I didn’t play up to my potential [last season]. I could have done a lot better, but I wasn’t as focused as I needed to be.”

Franklin has always shown flashes of dominance during his time at Miami, but he has lacked a consistency week in and week out of being great. His consistency this season is the one area he is looking to improve.

“I need to be a lot more consistent to help out this team,” Franklin said.

“I feel as if I have come a long way since my freshman year. When I was a freshman I was just out there playing. Now there is a lot more to it. I understand the game of football a whole lot more. I know what is going to happen before it happens.”

Franklin hinted that Miami won’t be using the heavy rotation on the offensive line that was used last season. According to Franklin, the best players will play most of the game.

“If we are doing what we are supposed to be doing, then we are going to be staying on the field,” Franklin said. “Coach has made that clear to us.”

Franklin, who is one of Miami’s most boisterous players during practice, says he wants to become more of a leader this season. Franklin practices with a great deal of intensity every day and he hopes that can rub off on his teammates.

“I expect to try and emerge as a team leader and help out as much as I can.”

One player who Franklin can lead is freshman guard Brandon Washington, who is currently his backup. Like Franklin, Washington has a lot of physical talent as an offensive lineman and Franklin believes he can make an impact this season.

“I think he is going to have a good opportunity to play early because I played as a freshman,” Franklin said.

When asked if Miami is ready to contend for an ACC title, Franklin doesn’t hesitate with his answer.

“That is what I am shooting for, nothing less,” he said.
 7 years ago '07        #5729
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,223 | Props total: 459 459
Liking the news

but its time to prove it on the field

sept 7 cant come fast enough
 7 years ago '04        #5730
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
LB Sharpton Looking for a Big Year
Jul. 30, 2009

Darryl Sharpton has 160 career tackles in 39 games at Miami.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Now is the time for Darryl Sharpton to produce.

The fifth-year senior from Coral Gables is in his final season at Miami and he has the best opportunity ahead of him.

“This is my last season,” said Sharpton, who enters the fall as the team’s starting middle linebacker. “I’m going to try to unleash all of the tools that I have and put it all together in one solid season.”

Sharpton wasn’t a highly regarded recruit in 2005, but former Miami a.ssistant coach and current FIU head coach Mario Cristobal thought he could be the best in UM’s signing class.

He’s done well in flashes in his career at UM and started five games during his redshirt freshman season in 2006. He finished that season with 41 tackles, one sack, and four tackles for a loss in 12 games.

But in 2007, he was unable to carry over the momentum to start the season and was relegated to a reserve role until he started the final five games as he bounced around from starting at weakside, strongside, and middle. His best game of the season was a 12-tackle game (most in his career) in a win over Virginia Tech as the starting weakside linebacker. The next game he was moved to middle linebacker and had nine tackles against Boston College.

Last season, Sharpton started a career-best 10 games all at strongside linebacker and finished with 66 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and six tackles for a loss. He was the team’s fourth-leading tackler. But he is still looking for a breakthrough season.

“I obviously feel that I haven’t shown everything that I have,” said Sharpton, who has 160 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 16 taclkes for a loss in 39 games. “I have a lot to show and this is the season I’m going to do it.”

In the off-season Sharpton has put in plenty of time in the film room watching more than he ever has in his career.

“I’ve been watching film a lot, every other day,” he said. “I’ve been watching more film than I had in the past and I’m really focused on my technique.”

He says he will watch film by himself, but also with other people sometimes too.

“I go in by myself. I go in with teammates. Sometimes I go in with former players,” he said. “There might be guys in the weight room and I’ll just ask if they want to go to the film room.”

One teammate he has been spending time with is sophomore Arthur Brown, who is the back-up to Sharpton.

“Arthur is looking real good,” Sharpton said. “I’ve been working with him. We’ve been watching film and going over stuff. I’ve been watching him a lot more than other guys and he’s improved a lot especially in pass coverage.”

Currently Sharpton is in the middle with junior Colin McCarthy expected to be the strongside linebacker, although those two could be interchangeable, but Sharpton is better suited in the middle because of his run-stopping abilitiy and sophomore Sean Spence at weakside linebacker.

“I think we all have different tools and if we put all the tools together the possibilities are endless and we can be a great, great linebacker corps,” Sharpton said. “Colin is a playmaker all the way. He’s going to get interceptions and fumble recoveries. He has a knack for getting to the ball. The same with Spence. He’s the same kind of guy, but he’s also a hitter. He brings a lot of that to the table.”

Sharpton currently is up to 240 pounds and would like to drop five pounds before fall practices begin on August 8.

“I’m looking forward to fall practices,” Sharpton said. “This is my fifth year. I work hard every year, I lift weights, run, and I’ve been through a lot. I’m just real ready to get the season started.”
 7 years ago '04        #5731
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Freshman Speedster CB McGee Looking to Contribute Immediately
Jul. 30, 2009

Brandon McGee is one of the fastest players on the team.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Freshman Brandon McGee is expected to be ready to contribute this season.

McGee is just one of six cornerbacks on the roster and will need to be ready for action.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound speedster from Plantation turned in the fastest 40 time during spring testing with a 4.19 tying with Sam Shields after enrolling in January.

“(Defensive backs)Coach McGriff said I can run fast forward, but can I run fast backwards,” McGee said.

So McGee took to McGriff’s advice and worked on his backpedal throughout the summer. That was his primary focus. He grabbed cones, set them up, and worked on his backpedal doing a variety of drills.

“My summer was great actually,” McGee said.

McGee had surgery on his finger in March causing him to miss the final week of spring practices including the spring game.

“During the spring I definitely think I had a lot of momentum until I had the surgery,” McGee said. “Then I wasn’t able to play in the spring game, but I definitely think that momentum is coming back now during 7-on-7s. I’m getting pretty confident.”

McGee said he was disappointed that he wasn’t able to participate in the spring game because of the injury.

“It was definitely disappointing not to be able to play in the spring game, but Coach Shannon and Coach McGriff told me not to worry about it,” McGee said. “Sometimes you have to go through things and told me it wouldn’t set me back at all. I’m just looking forward to getting on the field this fall.”

Right now, McGee is healthy and ready to go for fall practices, which begin August 8.

McGee is competing for playing time at corner along with seniors Chavez Grant, Ryan Hill, and Sam Shields as well as junior DeMarcus Van Dyke and sophomore Brandon Harris.

“I definitely feel I can contribute,” McGee said. “I think that is why Coach Shannon and Coach McGriff wanted me to come in early.”

Miami opens their season on September 7 at rival Florida State.

“I’ve had a lot of dreams of what it would be like to run out of the tunnel at Doak Campbell, first game, Labor Day, I’ve thought about all of that.”
 7 years ago '05        #5732
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,654 | Props total: 3750 3750
The Hurricanes have their quarterback in this recruiting class.

Miami (FL) Monsignor Pace High School QB Stephen Morris has made his college decision: He chose Miami over Virginia and Purdue.

"I verbally committed to Miami," Morris said. "I did it 30 minutes ago. I talked to all the coaches. They were saying congratulations, welcome to the U, you're part of a great family.

"I feel 100 percent confident about my decision. It just felt like home to me. I know I made the right choice."

Morris made the choice after talking things over with his parents and coaches.

"I sort of knew after I visited (this week)," Morris said. "I knew it was the right decision."

Morris says he's "most likely" done with visits to other colleges.

"Miami felt like it was the best fit for me athletically and academically," Morris said. "It's 100 percent."

The 6-foot-2, 186-pounder with 4.62-second speed initially received a Cane offer last month.

That came after he worked with first-year coordinator Mark Whipple at the UM camp.

"It was a good experience," Morris said. "He really knows his stuff. He was coaching me up on where to place the ball, and he showed me what you need to look for in the college playbook.

"(Whipple is) a great coach. He knows his stuff, knows how to coach. He came from the NFL, so he has an NFL type of playbook, an NFL type of offense, which is great to have. You can't ask for anything more. He's a great coach and a great friend."

Of how he first landed the offer, Morris said, "I called coach Whipple and he told me we have to offer you, you're a great athlete."

Morris finished his junior year completing 64 percent of his passes with 2,005 passing yards, 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

"The progress from his freshman year to his senior year has been tremendous as far as reading coverages all the way down to just his natural God-given ability, his confidence," Pace High coach Alvin Slaughter said. "He came into his own his junior year, and this year he's more of a vocal guy. Before he only led by example, was the first one on the field, last one off the field. It's his last go round, and he wants to go out on top, so he's become more of a vocal guy. He's very coachable.

"The thing I always say about him is his arm strength. I saw that from the first time he stepped on our practice field - he was throwing the ball as far as our seniors his freshman year. I was looking at him like you're going to be special. But back then he had no accuracy, would try to drill the ball into a guy five yards from him. So he understands that and it's started to come together. But his arm strength is unbelievable. And he's showed a lot more mobility - in the spring game his ability to elude defenders and still see downfield, set up and deliver the ball was great. He's a guy looking to make a play downfield with his arm. I love his decision-making."

Morris is rated the nation's No. 27 dual threat quarterback by Rivals.com.

"Maybe the numbers don't jump off the charts, but this kid can get the jobe done," Slaughter said. "You beat Naples, Belle Glade and stand in the fire and you've been battle-tested, I don't understand why some recruiting services aren't giving him his due. Even the Elite 11, the guy emailed me and said Stephen showed his tail off, was one of our top-ranked quarterbacks out there in Las Vegas out of all these national guys. And still the offers were slowly coming in."

ESPN's evaluation of Morris reads that "Morris is tall, lean and very athletic but he is a passer first, runner second. Has the frame to develop bulk and strength and become a strong pocket passer that can get out of trouble. He is a cross between Star Jackson from the 2008 class and Eugene Smith from the 2009 class. ... He has a long, whip-like delivery, but the ball comes out quick and with very good zip and RPM's. ... Morris is a terrific prospect for development and he has high upside. He's tall, has a great arm and his best football is down the line at the college level."

Of his goals at Miami, Morris said, "Just going in, making an impact on the team. I'm going to be behind Jacory (Harris), and he'll show me the ropes. When it's my chance I have to do the best I can do."
*yawns*
 7 years ago '06        #5733
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
Between us and the turds for 2009 CB All American Recruit Darrell Givens

The Miami Hurricanes may be on the verge of a big surprise the week before the start of training camp.

Four-star cornerback Darrell Givens, a Penn State signee who had visited Miami unofficially more than a year ago, has been denied admission at Penn State and is focused on attending either Miami or Florida.

Sources in Maryland, where Givens was a top-tier recruit at Indian Head High, have told ********* that Givens and his high school coach, Doug Lamb, have begun the process of seeing if he can become a Hurricane or a Gator by sending Givens' academic records to both schools. A decision could come as soon as Friday or Saturday once officials at both schools have a chance to review Givens' grades and test scores. Lamb said that neither he nor Givens will comment further on the process until a decision is made.

Givens declined Penn State's request that he attend prep school this fall, a practice common for signees who don't make the grade in time to enroll in August. Miami recruit Malcolm Bunche is taking the prep school approach this fall barring a sudden change in his admissions status in hope of qualifying by December.

"I could just go to any other school and get accepted into the school and not have to sit out this year," Givens told Blue and White Illustrated. "I don't want to sit out, so I'm just going to go to another school. I think I've accumulated 15 offers just today, since this morning. A lot of schools are showing me interest, but I'm not sure where I'm going to go yet. I'm going to make my decision on Saturday."

Givens quickly formulated a list from which he will choose.

"My final eight are Miami, Florida, Rutgers, North Carolina, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Nebraska and South Carolina," he said. "I don't even have a clue right now. Everything is so sudden, everything is just popping up so fast. I have to make a decision quick, some schools start camp next week, some start the following week, but I have to tell the schools that start camp this week so I could leave Monday or Tuesday."

Givens committed to Penn State last May after decommitting from Ohio State shortly before. He was among the most vocal members of the Nittany Lions Class of 2009. Before deciding, he had well over 20 scholarship offers.

He finished the year ranked as the No. 29 cornerback in the country by Rivals.com, and the No. 249 player in the Rivals250. He was also an Under Armor All-American and a participant in the Maryland Crab Bowl.
if he does its a great addition to the much needed cornerback depth
 7 years ago '05        #5734
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
is penn state really that hard to get into...cuz i dont see how they accept him in miami
 7 years ago '06        #5735
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
is penn state really that hard to get into...cuz i dont see how they accept him in miami
he didnt take a class that penn state mandates

he should be good elsewhere
 7 years ago '04        #5736
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
With the University of Miami's football season officially starting with their first practice on Saturday, we take a look at who the key players for UM will be this year. Miami is entering the season with a lot of talented players, but UM needs these players in particular to step up and become mentioned with the best in their conference at their position. Read here for which players are the five most important players for Miami to have a successful 2009 season. ************************************************** ***************

5. RB Graig Cooper Miami's offense has always been as good as its running game and if the UM offense is going to be formidable unit again, Cooper needs to have a big year. Cooper has said his goal is to rush for over 1,000 yards this season and UM's offense will need that type of steady ground game in order to have a productive offense. One area Cooper needs to improve in particular is his rushing touchdowns on the year. Cooper has led Miami in rushing for the last two years and only averaged four rushing touchdowns per season. Cooper will be an important piece in offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's offense and he will need to find the end-zone more this season.

4. LG Orlando Franklin With senior Jason Fox anchoring the tackle spot on the left side, it is time for Orlando Franklin to team up with him and be a consistent road-grading force at guard so Miami can dominate that side of the offensive line. Franklin arguably has the most potential of any player on Miami's roster and his physical ability on the offensive line is freaky. Franklin, who has struggled at times during his career with penalties and missing a.ssignments, says the game has really slowed down for him going into this season. If Franklin can be the dominate run blocking force that he has shown he can be this season and allow UM running backs to run through holes on his side of the line, UM's offense will be tough to beat. Franklin's consistency this season will be a big key for Miami.

3. CB Brandon Harris One of the biggest questions going into this season is which player in the secondary will step up for UM at cornerback? Miami lacked a lockdown at cornerback last season and after starting six games as a true freshman last year, the time is now for Harris to blossom into being UM's next great cornerback. Miami needs Harris to carry over some confidence from a solid freshman year into this season and become the shutdown defensive back that he can be. Harris picked off one pass last season, but for Miami's defense to return back to its dominate form, they will need more game changing plays like that this year.

2. LB Sean Spence It is time for Sean Spence to be the unquestioned leader of the Miami defense. Spence is Miami's most talented player on defense and simply put, he makes game changing plays. As a true freshman last season, Spence made game changing plays all over the field. Now that he has a years worth of experience under his belt, expect for Spence to be the same type of playmaker, but also expect him to play with more consistency on each down. Spence is the type of defensive force that offenses gameplan to avoid. Spence has the instincts to affect an opponents running and passing game and should his development continue, he will be Miami's best player on defense this year.

1. QB Jacory Harris Strong quarterback play is what distinguishes good teams from great teams in college football and the development and production of Harris will be the story of the season for Miami. Harris' primary responsibility will be to limit his turnovers, but if he can gain confidence over the course of the season to go for and make big plays, he will have the firepower around him to lead a potent attack. He is also UM's most indispensable player because he is their only ready option at quarterback. One of the biggest keys this season is to keep Harris healthy the entire year. If Harris puts up strong numbers this year, Miami will be set at quarterback for two more seasons and should challenge for conference championships during his time at UM.
 7 years ago '04        #5737
booie4 
space
space
With the University of Miami's football season officially starting with their first practice on Saturday, we take a look at who the impact true freshman will be this year. Miami is entering the season with a lot of talented players, but each season a handful of true freshmen make a significant impact on a football team and on a season. Read here for which players are the five true freshmen who are expected to make an impact on this season and why we expect these players to be early contributors this year. ************************************************** ***************

5. CB Brandon McGee McGee showed great promise and playmaking ability during the first three weeks of spring practice before he had to shut it down because of a finger injury. McGee showed very good ball skills during the spring and returned an interception for a touchdown in one of the spring scrimmages. McGee, who ran the fastest 40 time of any player during the post spring testing period, has the speed and size to play with any receiver. McGee has been working on his technique all summer and his development will determine just how much playing time he gets this year. McGee could also see some time in the return game.

4. S Ray Ray Armstrong Armstrong is Miami's most talented recruit from the class of 2009, but if he is going to see the field early this season he will need to be a quick study during fall camp. Armstrong may be raw right now at this point in his career, but he has the type of swagger, tackling ability, and big play ability that Miami needs in their secondary and he could be difficult to keep off the field. Armstrong will likely start the season as an impact player on special teams and then see his playing time on defense rise as the season progresses.

3. RB Mike James James made a splash during spring football when he churned up big gains in nearly every scrimmage. James has great vision and a great burst through the offensive line and has an advanced knowledge of his responsibilities at this stage of his career. Don't be surprised if James is receiving significant reps for UM at the end of the season. There is little that James can't do from the running back position and the versatility he brings at that position is tough to keep off the field.

2. DE Olivier Vernon Vernon really took his level of play to another level during his month of spring football and impressed coaches and players alike. Vernon is one of those rare defensive linemen that shows early promise as both a pass rusher and run stopper. He is expected to be a legitimate part of the defensive line rotation this year and his versatility should turn some heads this season.

1. OL Brandon Washington Washington is too much of an athlete and is too physically gifted to not see the field this season and have an impact on the offensive line. During the spring, Washington impressed offensive line Jeff Stoutland so much that he called Washington "extremely bright and intelligent" during the spring and was impressed with his ability to pick up new responsibilities on the offensive line
 7 years ago '04        #5738
booie4 
space
space
With the 2009 season, one of the things that is expected are many position battles. Battles will take place all over the field, but the biggest battle will take place across the defensive line.

There are numerous young players across the defensive line that gained a lot of experience. Marcus Robinson, Marcus Forston and Andrew Smith all picked up major playing time as true freshmen.

The unit has two seniors in defensive tackle Joe Joseph and defensive end Eric Moncur, who is hoping he can stay healthy for a final senior year, after being sidelined all of last year. The remainder of the defensive linemen, Allen Bailey, Steven Wesley, Adewale Ojomo, Josh Holmes, Micanor Regis, Gavin Hardin, Olivier Vernon and Jeremy Lewis will all have the opportunity to get in the mix for major playing time, including the above mentioned, Robinson, Forston and Smith. True freshmen Luther Robinson, Curtis Porter and Dyron Dye will also get work in fall practice, but it will be tough for any of them to avoid being redshirted as long as the older players remain healthy.

What makes the defensive line battle even more intriguing is that it's really a wide open situation all over the place. While Moncur is expected to be a starter at one defensive end position, Moncur hasn't played any meaningful football in what seems like forever. The challenge in that alone will be to see if he can get to the season healthy. There are four players who will legitimately battle with Moncur for a starting position - Robinson, Wesley, Vernon and Ojomo, which makes the battle wide open.

Robinson provides a great pass rush off the edge and he showed that late last season. Wesley is a steady defensive end. He's never been overwhelming, rather steady and even quite often. Ojomo is the one that has so much talent, but has never kept himself mentally focused enough to be the dominating defensive end that everyone thinks he can be. Vernon is the true freshman who showed in the Spring that he can be a great one.

Who starts at defensive end truthfully remains a mystery because there are so many things that will come into play. Consistency will be the first thing that is key for all the of the defensive ends. Who can be the most consistent at the position? Production will be the second thing. While it's great to speak of potential, that potential has to be reached on the field. Players have to make plays. If they don't make plays, they simply shouldn't play.

Hardin and Smith will have some work to do to get into the rotation, but an injury here and there and their numbers will be called. Dye will most certainly redshirt as it would seem completely illogical with seven defensive ends that are clearly ahead of him for Miami to burn his redshirt year having him play Special Teams.

The defensive tackle spot is a little tighter. It seems likely that the starting positions are going to go to two of three players - Joseph, Forston and Allen Bailey. Bailey will be playing his third position in three years, but this one allows him to finally use his brute strength on the inside. Regis, Holmes and Lewis pushing them. If Porter and Robinson don't redshirt, it will most likely be because there are injuries among the top six defensive tackles.

The key to the defensive tackle spot though is Forston. He has to come into his own and dominate. He has to be the player who goes hard every down, the Warren Sapp-like tackle that everyone has compared him to. Being that Forston, like Sapp is an undersize tackle, he has to use his strength and quickness and come hard every play. He can't take plays off.

Backing them up are guys like Regis, Holmes and Lewis. Holmes is another one who has to bring it on every play because he is undersized. Regis, on the other hand, is a mauler. He's huge, strong and physical and just an absolute monster who has the ability to be a destroyer inside. Lewis will be another who is pushing them.

But again, it boils down to consistency and production. Miami needs from its defensive line, more than any other spot on the field, consistency and production. With consistency and production from the defensive line, the holes open up for the linebackers to make tackles and with production, i.e. pressure on the quarterback it puts the secondary in a better situation. It always starts up front and funnels down from there.

Projected Starters DE Eric Moncur DT Marcus Forston DT Allen Bailey DE Adewale Ojomo
 7 years ago '06        #5739
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
booie
 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM         #5740
CoRn420 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hurricanes #1

Well another year of college football is upon us and YES! I have the 'Canes winning the ACC. I've had that since they entered the ACC, and we WILL win the ACC soon (REAL SOON). The last 2 years have been sub-par for the Canes, but i have no doubts that Randy Shannon will have OUR 'Canes ready to exit the tunnel and ready to stop FSU! Come one, come all. Who wants to run up on the buzzsaw we call the Canes!!!! It's GAME TIME!!!!

As Goldberg would say.... FSU!.... YOU'RE NEXT!!!!!!
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy