70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #5701
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
Kosar, Reed helping Graham's transition to TE

In his first four seasons at UM, Jimmy Graham was being taught how to improve his jumper, his rebounding skills and how to take a charge. The last four months, however, have been a crash course in football.

Saturday at Land Shark Stadium, I caught up with the former shot swatter at Canesfest and found out how his transition from basketball to football has been going. And it was interesting to hear who the 6-8, 260-pound tight end hopeful has been learning the most from.

Here is my interview with Graham -- one of more than 15 from today with some of the Canes' newest players. If you would like to hear them, check out our Canes audio page. If not, check back this week and in the Sunday paper for plenty of news and notes.

Q: What's been the toughest part about making the switch from hoops?
JG: "It's just very different. There's no more hardwood and no more air conditioning. It's been a hot summer. Just getting used to the heat has been one of the hardest things."

Q: What were the first seven-on-seven drills like? I'm sure you were using muscles you hadn't before.
JG: "It was fun. I remember the first week I was sore and my hips were sore. I was wondering why they hurt so much. I love the physicality of it. I've enjoyed it and being able to use my body and my hands. I'm excited. I really am."

Q: What do you feel is the biggest adjustment footballwise? Is it catching the ball?
JG: "I don't think its the catching. I know I can catch the ball. It's just getting used to hit after I catch it. And the playbook. We have a great offensive coordinator."

Q: Physically, what would they like you to do to get ready for this season? Anything?
JG: "I'm 260 right now and that's as big as I want to get. And they want me to keep my vertical."

Q: Why did you decide to give this a shot when you could have been playing overseas?
JG: "I want to win a ring. That's why I came back to college. I had some opportunities and some training camps in the NFL who wanted me to come in. But I've been in college for four years and I haven't won a ring. That's what I want to do."

Q: Who has helped you make the transition? Any former Canes teaching you?
JG: "One of the biggest helpers I've had is Bernie Kosar. I talk to him quite a bit. He's really helped me out a lot, teaching me little things. He's really been teaching me the game. He always tells me I have great hands. He talks about keeping the beginning of your route the same so people can't predict that. Also, how quickly to come out of a break and how quickly the ball is going to be on you and just getting used to that. I've also had a little help from Ed Reed, teaching me how to read defenses. You have to be able to read safeties and linebackers. It's a lot more than five people. I'm just getting used to that."

Q: What about film? Who are you studying?
JG: "I've watched more films in the tight ends in the last couple months than ever before. Kellen Winslow. I've been watching a lot on Greg Olsen. Bubba Franks. Bubba was the man. The good thing is there is so much film to watch. It's not like I have to search for it. It's easy to find."

Q: What are your goals? Do you want to start?
JG: "I just want to play. Football was my first love and just the opportunity to play it at the highest level is what I'm really excited for. I just want to get in the game and catch the ball."

Q: How has Dedrick Epps helped you out?
JG: "Dedrick's been doing all his rehab and stuff and he's been great. He's done well in 7-on-7 and I can't wait to have an opportunity to play beside him."

Q: What's it like to play football at the U versus basketball? This place today is insane.
JG: "Football is a little different. These fans are a little different. I love it. I wish basketball had fans like this."
 7 years ago '04        #5702
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Top 60 Countdown: No. 34, Jordan Futch

New day, new player to focus on in our countdown of the Top 60 Canes. Today, we take a look at No. 34 on our list, sophomore linebacker Jordan Futch. The former Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna standout followed the footsteps of Jon Beason and Glenn Cook to The U. But who will he end up being more like: Beason who is playing for the Carolina Panthers, or Cook who is playing for the Chicago Cubs Rookie League in Arizona?

> What we heard about him on Signing Day '08: Futch was one of the very first players UM received a commitment from in it's 2008 class, someone who tried and help sell The U most of his senior year. Although his senior season was a bit rocky (he had an altercation with his coach), Futch still came to UM with plenty of praise. He was ranked the 67th best player overall regardless of position by Rivals.com, the nation's 15h best strongside linebacker by Scout.com and the 77th best player overall by ESPN. He picked the Canes over Auburn, West Virginia, Georgia and Louisville.

> What he's done as a Cane: Futch got five games into his freshman season before a head injury forced him out the rest of the season. He finished with three tackles after playing mostly on special teams. This spring, he worked at both outside linebackers positions and ran with the first team during the spring game alongside Darryl Sharpton and Sean Spence.

> What Eye On The U expects from him in '09: The first thing you notice about the 6-2, 215-pound Futch is his size, personality and smarts. Testing-wise, his spring numbers didn't compare well to fellow sophomore linebackers Ramon Buchanon (No. 28 on our list) or Sean Spence. But what Futch lacks physically, he makes up for with instinct and the ability to be in the right places. This season, all Hurricanes coaches are hoping for is for Futch to mature more and put himself in position next year to replace seniors like Sharpton and Colin McCarthy in the starting lineup. If he can rack up 25-30 tackles in spot situations, then his sophomore season should be considered a success.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 60 Countdown: No. 35, WR Tommy Streeter

We'll move back to the 30s in our countdown of the Top 60 players at The U. Although No. 35 on our list still hasn't played in his first game as a Cane, expect redshirt freshman receiver Tommy Streeter to start doing some special things when he does.

> What we heard about him on Signing Day '08: Streeter didn't get as much love as Miami Northwestern High teammate Aldarius Johnson for most of his high school career. But he never let it bother him. In the Bulls' biggest game of the season -- a nationally televised game against Southlake Carroll in Texas -- Streeter showed the country what his 6-5, 202-pound frame and long, speedy strides could do. He caught three touchdowns --including a 75-yarder -- and finished his senior year with 36 catches for 676 yards and 11 touchdowns. That followed a junior season in which he caught 57 passes for 804 yards and 14 touchdowns. The PrepStar All-American was ranked 88th overall regardless of position by Rivals and 153rd by Scout.com. He chose Miami over Oregon, USF, South Carolina and Boston College.

> What he's done as a Cane: Streeter didn't get to play last season after suffering a wrist injury. But in the spring, he made his presence felt. He ran the fourth fastest 40-time in the spring (4.40) behind Sam Shields (4.20), Brandon McGee (4.23) and Graig Cooper (4.37) and hauled in a countless amount of long passes for touchdowns during practice.

> What Eye On The U expects from him in '09: Streeter obviously needs to put on some more weight down the road. But he has the size, speed and long arms to be very, very special. In addition to his talents, he also has the advantage of having already built several seasons worth of chemistry with starting quarterback Jacory Harris. That's something guys like Leonard Hankerson and LaRon Byrd don't have yet. While I don't expect Streeter to put up silly numbers at a position so loaded with talent, we should still expect him to find his way on the field and underneath a few of Harris' long bombs this season. Canes fans just ought to be ready to take the cue from Northwestern fansm who used to shout "wooooooooooooooooosh!" each time Harris and Streeter hooked up on big plays.
 7 years ago '04        #5703
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Top 60 Countdown: No. 36, DT Micanor Regis

As we inch closer to the start of fall camp (Aug. 8) we inch closer toward the top of our countdown of the Top 60 players at UM. Now, we'll zero in on No. 36 on our list: Defensive tackle Micanor Regis. The big, talented sophomore surprised some last year with his early contributions. Will he take another step forward and help a UM run defense that took a huge step back in 2008? The Canes are hoping so.

> What we heard about him on Signing Day '08: One of the starts for the nation's sixth-ranked high school football team according to USA Today, Regis was tabbed the 29th best defensive tackle in the country by Rivals.com, 31st by Scout.com and 28th by ESPN. At 6-2, 321 pounds, he plugged the hole for Pahokee, racking up 101 tackles (31 for loss) and five sacks as a senior. He built an early bond with defensive line coach Clint Hurtt and picked the Canes over Florida State, South Carolina and Tennessee.

> What he's done as a Cane: Micanor didn't get as much attention as fellow freshman defensive tackle Marcus Forston, but got nearly as much playing experience as the former Miami Northwestern star. Regis played in 10 games for the Canes and finished with 16 tackles. This spring, he graded out as one of the Canes' best, benching 390 pounds (fourth among defensive tackles, but fifth on the team) and lifting 330 pounds on the power clean (second only among DTs to Allen Bailey).

> What Eye On The U expects from him in '09: The first thing Clint Hurtt told me last spring right after the Canes had signed Forston was not to forget about Regis. The sophomore may not start -- Allen Bailey, Forston or Joe Joseph -- probably will. But he is just as important to UM's success this season stopping the run as those three are. The Canes dropped from 40th against the run in 2007 to 75th giving up an average of 151 yards a game last season. UM coaches have pointed to the depth and talent at the tackle position. If Regis is as good as advertised, there is no reason he won't be a big part of what should be an improvement by UM at stopping the run -- at least up front.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 60 Countdown: No. 18, RB Javarris James

As we move back inside the top 20 of our Top 60 countdown (I figured we could take a break from the 30s), we take a look at a player who came to UM with a lot of promise, but simply hasn't lived up to them because of injuries. That would be No. 18 on our list: Running back Javarris James. Baby J, now a senior, has one more shot to prove to the NFL he has star potential. But will he be able to prove it in a crowded backfield?And, more importantly, will he be able to stay healthy?

> What we heard about him on Signing Day '05:
When Baby J was a senior at Immokalee there wasn't a newspaper, recruiting website or college football team that didn't have high expectations for him once he got to college. As the cousin of former two-time NFL rushing champion Edgerrin James, Baby J tore up high school opponents to the tune of 1,658 yards and 28 touchdowns as a junior before an injury his senior year caused him to miss five games. Rivals.com had Javarris ranked 13th at his position nationally, Scout.com had him 35th and ESPN had him 21st. When UM nabbed him over USC, Florida, USF, Nebraska and Oklahoma it looked like UM had found its next star in the backfield.

> What he's done as a Cane: As a freshman, it looked like Baby J was headed for greatness. He was named a Rivals.com second-team Freshman All-American after carrying the ball 175 times for 802 yards, the second most ever by a Miami true freshman. His career since has been far less full of sparkle. Injuries and the emergence of Graig Cooper slowed him down as a sophomore. Last season, he missed four games and started just once, finishing with 286 yards on 68 carries to go with four touchdowns. This spring, he was out again with an injured wrist.

> What Eye On The U expects from him in '09: Nov. 3, 2007. Why is that date important? No, it is not because Timbaland and One Republic had the No. 1 song in the country (Apologize). It's the last time (and only time since his freshman year) James has managed to run for more than 100 yards in a game. The likelihood of it happening again before his UM career is over is doubtful at best. With Cooper healthy and freshman Mike James making a push for playing time, Baby J has a long way to go before proving he can be the man again. His speed (4.41) in the 40 (not far off from Cooper's 4.37) has improved. And his 315-pound bench (top among RBs) and 545-pound squat (third overall on the team behind Harland Gunn and Allan Bailey) show that physically he might be ready to break out. But until he proves he's fully healthy -- that he can take a lick and keep on ticking -- he'll just be among the many other highly touted recruits who came to UM and were not able to play up to their full potential.
 7 years ago '04        #5704
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Observations from CanesFest

Even if you don't bleed green and orange, Saturday's CanesFest event at Land Shark Stadium had to be one of the most fan friendly events I have ever covered.

Not once in the 14 years I've been working for The Miami Herald have I ever seen fans not only have two hours worth of access to players and coaches, but to be able to interact (take pictures, dunk players, even get some smooches) with them like family and friends. Hats off to athletic director Kirby Hocutt and coach Randy Shannon for taking a giant leap forward from the way these events used to be run.

UM has certainly surprised me in the past month with their new approach of reaching out to the community. From having quarterback Jacory Harris and other players call season ticket holders to the local football camps players have been attending throughout South Florida, the Hurricanes have done more over the last 30 days to say thanks to their community than I've ever seen. All I have to say is: It's about time.

Shannon said Saturday's event and many others recently have been in his vision since he took over. "As a coach you want to change certain things," Shannon said. "The fans have to be able to touch them. You can't just hie them behind a table and have them sign autographs. Mingle with them, get to know the players and have fun with them. That's what it's about."

If only it was the same way for reporters during the season...

Here are some more observations and interesting notes from CanesFest

RAY RAY READY TO SHINE? He may have the body (6-4, 218 pounds) and the highlight reel to suggest he's going to play a lot like the late great Sean Taylor, but fans ought to give Ray Ray Armstrong a chance to adjust to college before expecting him to play like a first round draft pick. After all, shouldn't U have all learned something from the struggles of guys like Allen Bailey and Arthur Brown?

After speaking with senior cornerback Chavez Grant, I got the notion Armstrong has already been told what what he has to work on this fall. "He's definitely big and strong," Grant said. "But everyday in practice we're working with him, trying to get his feet right and work with his hips. He's not bad. But at this level you have to be a lot quicker, a lot faster at what you do... at this level you get beat by a step and it's over."

WHO ARE THE FILM JUNKIES? One of the biggest questions I get regularly from you is about how much time players spend in the off season studying film and trying to get better. Last week, cornerback Sam Shields estimated he did it about twice a week. Receiver LaRon Byrd said he and fellow receiver Aldarius Johnson are in there almost every day. The more and more I pop the question, I keep getting the sense it's the younger guys who are more passionate.

Saturday, cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke said he and sophomore Brandon Harris wake up early everyday before class to watch film. Why early? Because that's when the NFL guys are usually around to break it down with them. "I've been watching it lately with Phillip Buchanon and Antrel Rolle. Those guys were All-Americans," Van Dyke said. "They tell me little things about how guys break and move across the line. I try to pick their brains a little and things like that."

Consider safety Vaughn Telemaque another film junky. "I usually catch LaRon when I'm leaving the room," Telemaque said. "I'm in there five out of the seven days. If the weekends weren't closed, I'd be in there seven out of seven."

For what it's worth, Armstrong told me he's been breaking down a ton of film with defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff. Tight end Jimmy Graham said he's been studying tape daily of former Canes greats Kellen Winslow, Bubba Franks and Greg Olsen. Freshman defensive end Olivier Vernon said he goes in three to four days a week and studies up on older players like Eric Moncur.

IS JACORY'S SHOULDER OK? As if the worry about his brittle 6-4, 190-pound body breaking down after one vicious ACC hit isn't enough to drive him crazy, Jacory Harris has had the question of his injured shoulder thrown at him about 1,000 times since the spring. I made it 1,001 Saturday. "The pain in the shoulder went away mid spring," Harris promises. "My arm used to die on me. But it's ok now. My arm is way stronger. If you are down the field, I'm going to throw it and it's going to get there."

I asked Jascory -- by the way that's a terrible nickname -- what the biggest request from fans has been throughout his interactions with them in the past month. His response: "A national championship," Harris said. "The fans want us to win and that's what we have to do and need to do. I'm willing to take the throne and be the leader."

"IN RANDY THEY TRUST" No. I'm not talking about Randy Shannon. I'm talking about Randy Phillips. The fifth year senior is THE GUY nearly every player on defense says they go to when they have a problem. Sam Shields said last week Phillips is showing him what to do at corner. Ray Ray Armstrong said Phillips is helping him adjust. Here's a question: What happens when Randy leaves Miami after this season?

IS ARTHUR BROWN GROWING UP? One of the more interesting comments to come out of Colin McCarthy's mouth Saturday was about the guy who will learning behind him at middle linebacker. McCarthy said AB, once a tentative young man, is no longer keeping quiet. "Now, he isn't afraid to ask questions, not afraid to get advice. Coming in as a freshman, he didn't want to say much, he was low key. But now, he's talking a lot more, being more of a leader."

BRYCE BROWN SIGHTING: I didn't notice it until near the end of the day, but AB's little brother -- yeah the guy who committed to UM before going to Tennessee -- was one of the fans in attendance Saturday. He showed up with his girlfriend wearing his Tennessee shorts and a smile to support his big brother. Our Barry Jackson interviewed him, but I passed (no reason to talk to a Vol). My question is this: How does a guy who dissed the Canes not draw the wrath of Canes faithful? Yet, 2010 recruit Tavadis Glenn get kicked out of Friday Night Lights in Gainesville for throwing up a U during Gators camp? I guess I'll just chalk up to the strange world of College Football.
 7 years ago '04        #5705
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
@this n*gga bryce brown still lingering around, they shouldve put him in the dunk tank
 7 years ago '04        #5706
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Hurricane commit kicked out of Gators camp for flashing the "U"

GAINESVILLE - Jacksonville Terry Parker High School offensive lineman Tavadis Glenn was kicked out of the University of Florida's Friday Night Lights camp on Friday for flashing a University of Miami sign with his hands.

Glenn has made an oral commitment to play for the Hurricanes and has not received an official offer to play for the Gators.

Glenn said he flashed the sign after successfully covering a defensive lineman to show Gators recruits "what Miami do" after they taunted him throughout the night.

An a.ssistant coach gave him one chance to respond, he said.

"He told me to get out the camp, that this is not a Miami camp," Glenn said. "He told me to take that (expletive) down there. I was like 'Huh?' I only did it once."

Gators recruits prompted the move by saying aloud "they don't do this in Miami," said Glenn, who did not know the name of the coach who booted him.

The incident was confusing, Glenn said, because Gators Coach Urban Meyer had visited Jacksonville to recruit him. Glenn attended the camp because he "thought it would make my stock rise."

Coaches can't commit on specific recruits per NCAA rules. In a statement, Florida team spokesman Steve McClain said: "He was asked to leave during the last drill period of the camp because of potential safety issues to other campers."

Glenn said safety was never an issue.

"It was nothing like that going on," Glenn said. "We were just getting after it. I stopped one of the big pass rushers who was beating everybody, and I was fired up."

Jacksonville Raines defensive tackle Louis Nix, also a UM commitment who drove to the camp with Glenn, said he thought the Gators should not have kicked out his friend because they each paid $35 to attend.

"We had to pay to participate, and he was participating," said Nix, who has a scholarship offer from the Gators. "He should have been able to do that."

Nix was working out at another station when he saw Glenn escorted from the stadium. Nix thought he was injured.

"Hollywood" Bob Redman, who covers recruiting for f!ghtin' Gators and Scout.com, said a UF coach warned Glenn before he threw up a second "U" sign after making a play.

"A coach put his arm around him and told him," said Redman, who was watching linemen work out in the end zone. "They seemed very respectful about it. It was his turn again 4-5 reps later, and he does it again, the exact same thing."

Terry Parker coach Larry Reed said Glenn was dismissed from the team during the 2008 season for "not obeying administrative rules." Glenn said he will play for Raines High School this season and has moved into the appropriate district.

Nix and Glenn were likely the only Miami commitments out of more than 200 recruits who attended the camp. When asked if he would consider Florida in the future, Glenn said "It's safe to say (no)."
 7 years ago '06        #5707
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
acksonsville (FL) Terry Parker High School OL Tavadis Glenn is a Hurricane commitment.

But he hadn't attended many camps and says he decided "at the last minute" to attend the University of Florida's Friday Night Lights camp July 24.

"I hadn't attended that many camps - I just wanted to show my face, show what I can do," Glenn said.

But the camp ended prematurely for Glenn.

"It was during one on one drills - I threw up the U," Glenn said. "My coach was in the stands and he's a Hurricane fan. He was egging me on.

"Then the Florida Gators (coaches), they came up - they got mad, said I couldn't participate. They said it's not a Miami Hurricane camp.

"I was just like, `Huh, are you all serious?' And I just walked off the field. The guys I know that were there were saying `Why'd they kick you off?'"

Glenn says he "was upset at first, but I realized this is a business. I don't plan on going to Florida, don't even plan on taking any visit there. I'm solid on Miami. So I'm not even worried about it.

"If we play them I'm going to make them pay."
glenn >>>>>>>>
 7 years ago '04        #5708
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
LB Brown Ready for Year Two
Jul. 25, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Arthur Brown played primarily on special teams in 2008.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Arthur Brown is looking to be a key contributor in his sophomore campaign.

The five-star recruit in 2008 out of Wichita, Kan. played in 11 games as a freshman last year primarily on special teams as he recorded four tackles.

This year, he enters the season as the back-up middle linebacker to senior Darryl Sharpton.

"Absolutely I think I can be a contributor," Brown said. "I feel that if I'm put in the right position and come with the right attitude, then I will contribute a lot to the team."

Brown primarily played strongside linebacker as a freshman, but was moved to the middle in the spring, a position he feels a lot more comfortable with.

"I really feel that's my spot," Brown said. "I'm going to make that home and on the field, I feel a lot more comfortable with me in order for me to make plays. As far as me feeling comfortable at that position, I really feel I can contribute to the team and make a lot of plays."

Currently Brown weighs 218 pounds, which he feels comfortable with although he's still working hard in the weight room to get bigger.

"I'm still trying to get it up, but I don't want to put it on the wrong way," Brown said. "I'm trying to put it on the right way."

Brown says he had a good summer and has adjusted well to John Lovett's defensive scheme.

"This summer was a great benefit for me," Brown said. "I really picked up on a lot of things as far as the defensive scheme and me being comfortable within the scheme. I really believe this summer was a great benefit."

During the spring, Brown played well and showed flashes of being a hard-hitting linebacker especially against the run, which he showed numerous times during his high school career.

"This spring was an adjustment for me again with a new coordinator coming in," Brown said. "Really, he made the scheme a lot simpler than it was so it really helped me picked up on it faster."

Arthur's younger brother, Bryce Brown, a former UM recruit and verbal commitment, is now a running back at Tennessee. Bryce showed up to CanesFest on Saturday wearing Tennessee shorts.

"I'm just here to support my brother," said Bryce, who posed for pictures and signed autographs.
 7 years ago '04        #5709
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DE Vernon Could Be a Good One
Jul. 26, 2009

Olivier Vernon f!ghts threw a block during the spring game.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Freshman defensive end Olivier Vernon showed a lot of promise this spring after enrolling early.

Vernon, who has put on 15 pounds since arriving in January at 235 pounds, could be one of the top signees in the 2009 class.

"I came in at 235," Vernon said. "I notice it. My dad tells me I'm getting too big so I notice that. But I do feel like that is a good weight for me and I'm getting faster."

He is a solid all-around player who can effectively contain the run game and pass rush with his quickness off the edge.

During the spring game, Vernon was a first-team right defensive end and recorded the defense's lone sack in the game while finishing with four tackles. He was constantly in the backfield and was one of the top players in the game.

"The spring I had to learn a lot of stuff going in and learn all the plays and get used to it," Vernon said. "At the beginning of the spring it was all hitting me at once. Then once I settling down and got used to how things worked, that's really when I started doing what I had to do."

Vernon played sparingly during his senior season at American in Miami due to a foot injury that sidelined him so there was not a lot of buzz around him. Often times, he was a forgotten man of the 2009 class, but Hurricane fans could see a special defensive end locking down the position for years to come.

"I always try to go 100 percent out there even I don't know what's going on," he said.

Currently, Vernon is f!ghting for playing time with a number of other defensive ends. Senior Eric Moncur is expecting to hold down one starting position, but the other spot is up for grabs as Vernon is battling with junior Steven Wesley, sophomores Marcus Robinson, Adewale Ojomo, and Andrew Smith as well as redshirt freshman Gavin Hardin. Fellow freshman Dyron Dye is looking to add his name to the mix as well.

During the summer, Vernon wanted to improve on a few aspects of his game in preparation for fall practices, which begin August 8.

"This summer I wanted to get more comfortable with the plays and look at more film," Vernon said. "It's not really that complicated, it's just that they put in a lot of new plays each day. But once you get used to it, it's not really that big of a deal."

The Hurricanes' season opener is September 7 at Florida State and Vernon is looking forward to the action.

"I'm ready for September 7," Vernon said. "I"m expecting to have some playing time in that game."
 7 years ago '04        #5710
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Freshman RB Miller Feels Under the Radar
Jul. 25, 2009

Lamar Miller will wear No. 27 at Miami.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Lamar Miller was our InsideTheU.com number one Miami-Dade recruit in 2008.

He is one of the gems in the 2008 signing class, but for some reason the buzz around fellow running backs of then-commitment Bryce Brown and Mike James' immediate impact in the spring overshadowed Miller.

"I feel I'm under the radar a little bit," Miller said. "But I'm going to keep my composure and keep f!ghting, keep competing with camp coming up."

The 5-foot-11 talented back out of Miami k!llian has added seven pounds of muscle since arriving at UM for summer workouts. He's currently at 210 pounds, which is where he would like to be.

"I want to weigh 210 or less, but keep my speed and keep my strength," Miller said.

As a senior, Miller finished his senior season with 222 carries for 1,719 yards and 22 touchdowns, and 10 catches for 179 yards and one touchdown.

Miller enters fall practice sixth on the depth chart behind Graig Cooper, Javarris James, Lee Chambers, Mike James, and Damien Berry.

"There's a lot of running backs," Miller said. "I'm at the bottom of the depth chart and trying to work my way up, f!ght and compete."

He is hopeful to be an impact player this season, which he should be if he's given an opportunity.

"I just have to come in, practice hard, and I think I can make a big impact for the team and help them win games," he said.

The last great running back at Miami was Frank Gore although Tyrone Moss did have a steady career until a knee injury derailed his productivity.

"I want to add my name to the all-time best running backs," Miller said.

Fall practices begin on August 8.

"It's coming up very fast. I wasn't expecting this."
 7 years ago '04        #5711
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space

[pic - click to view]

jacory's gettin swole:greetings10:
 7 years ago '06        #5712
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
notice we have depth all over place :wow:

im worried about cornerback and right side of the O Line tho
 7 years ago '07        #5713
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
conerbacks will have an easier time if the front 7 can get some pressure. The depth should help in that department. Also they need to tighten up on the PI i swear thats all we got
 7 years ago '04        #5714
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
notice we have depth all over place :wow:

im worried about cornerback and right side of the O Line tho
i think our corners will be fine coverage-wise, the d-line will be much better this year and a good pass rush will mean they wont have to cover for too long. but i do worry about their tackling
 7 years ago '04        #5715
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1402 1402
Our D got better the instant McCarthy/Moncour/Phillips came back. think about when they got hurt and you notice that our D went down hill for the most part when they went out.

thats returning a major contributing starter to each level of the D
 7 years ago '07        #5716
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
yes because our d was looking strong that florida gm

but only time will tell
 7 years ago '04        #5717
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
mccarthy will be a big boost to the linebacking corp, not only is he experienced, but he be throwin some vicious blocks on special teams too
 7 years ago '04        #5718
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Telemaque Wants to be a Great One
Jul. 27, 2009

Vaughn Telemaque played in three games last season before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Vaughn Telemaque is expected to do big things in his career at Miami and it starts this season.

Telemaque, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound redshirt freshman from Long Beach, Calif., is a rangy athletic safety the Miami coaches have coveted since his arrival.

"I'm definitely trying to add my name to the list (of great ones)," Telemaque said. "I'm going to work as hard as I can to do it and at the same time win games and have fun doing it. That's what it is about, in college you are supposed to enjoy yourself and for me it was a dream come true so I want to live it up and enjoy everything that comes with it."

Telemaque is expected to start at one of the safety spots, most likely free safety, alongside senior Randy Phillips.

"I just want to compliment him," Telemaque said. "He knows how to run the show and how to take control of the team. He knows how to read offenses and puts me in a little fix when we watch film."

Phillips is viewed by many on the team as a strong leader and he has helped bring Telemaque along throughout the learning stages since he arrived from the West Coast as an 180-pounder a year ago.

"That's a high mentor for me," Telemaque said. "He's really taken me in and showing me what it takes. He's played in games and has had ups and downs. I'm looking at him and taking everything in stride and perfect our games together."

Telemaque smiles when he discusses the future of playing with freshman Ray Ray Armstrong for years to come.

"He's going to be a great football player at the 'U'," Telemaque said. "He's a nice, big kid and really willing to learn. He's ready to come in and show his great talent that everybody has heard about."

This past summer, Telemaque wanted to work on making sure the defense was on the same page so they will be ready for fall practices, which begin August 8.

"I wanted to get the team unity together and make sure everyone was on the same page," Telemaque said. "I wanted us to have more leadership and have everyone ready to come in and contribute."

Because of his ability, Telemaque has the potential to be one of the team leaders during his career.

"I want to show by my actions," he said. "I would rather talk about it and then go out there and prove it. Eventually I want to become a leader and I'm taking good steps to becoming that. Also, following people that are leading now."

Last season he played in the first three games before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury. He registered just two tackles on the year, but following the season coach Randy Shannon said Telemaque was on pace to be a starter if it weren't for his injury.

This year, Telemaque is hoping to have a very productive season, which could result in picking off passes, something he did frequently his senior year at Long Beach Poly as he had nine interceptions.

"For myself, I want to come out with some excitement and bring back the 'U' to where it is supposed to be," he said. "For us we want to be champions just like everyone wants to be."
 7 years ago '04        #5719
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Dye Sets Goal For Freshman Campaign
Jul. 27, 2009

Dyron Dye won a 6A state championship at Seminole last season.
MIAMI, Fla. -- Dyron Dye was an Under Armour All-American in high school after helping lead Seminole to the Class 6A state title.

Dye, a defensive end, recorded 96 tackles and 11 sacks as a senior and is hoping to make an impact during his freshman campaign this season.

"I want to get in and go for eight sacks this year," Dye said.

The last Hurricane to record at least eight sacks in a season was when Kareem Brown (11 sacks) and Calais Campbell (10.5 sacks) both accomplished the feat in 2006. Last season, Allen Bailey led the team with five.

It's not surprising to see a freshman have high goals, but Dye will need to have a solid August during fall practices if he's going to emerge as someone who deserves playing time.

Miami returns four defensive ends--Eric Moncur, Steven Wesley, Marcus Robinson, and Adewale Ojomo--who have started games in their careers. Olivier Vernon showed flashes in the spring and Andrew Smith has earned the trust of the coaches as well.

Dye did get a little bit of a head start as he enrolled at UM during summer classes and participated in the summer workout program.

"It was very good," Dye said. "I got used to the change from high school so it was good. I just came in and hit the weight room real hard."

Dye, who stands 6-foot-5, came to UM at 230 pounds, but quickly put on 10 pounds in a matter of a couple months.

Dye played sparingly at tight end during his senior year including catching two key passes for 31 yards in the state title game.

There was been some speculation that Dye would play tight end, but he denied that will be happening.

"Right now I'm playing defensive end as far as I know," Dye said. "I haven't talked to the tight end coach about it, but I'd be up for it, anything I can do to help the team win."

Miami begins fall practices on August 8 and their season opener is September 7 at Florida State.

"I look forward to playing Florida State so I can't wait," he said.
 7 years ago '06        #5720
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space

[pic - click to view]

can anybody make this pic into an avy?????

lmaooooooo

he already got the cane swagga in him

:rasta:
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
30 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
52 comments
1 day ago