Video inside The right way to heat up PIZZA!! Changed my life
105 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Kim Kardashian Allegedly Wants A Divorce From Kanye West
116 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
67 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #5681
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Miami's Shields trying to slow his former position friends

July 22, 2009 2:21 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

Miami cornerback Sam Shields always writes down his goals, and this year, they're quite specific: Get five picks and return three of them for touchdowns.

Having been a receiver at Miami for the past three years, there's no question he can catch the ball and score. Shields, a junior, played in all 13 games last year either as a receiver or a gunner on special teams. He has started 15 career games and enters his first season as a cornerback with 971 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. His receptions decreased last year as there were several talented freshmen to share the ball with. Shields said coach Randy Shannon approached him about the move, and he was willing to do whatever it took to help the team.

Doug Benc/Getty Images
Sam Shields will go from receiving catches to defending them.

"When I started spring it was tough trying to catch on, but as the spring kept going I was getting better and better," Shields said. "Now we're doing seven-on-sevens and it seems like I've been at corner forever now."

Shields said the toughest receiver he's gone against in his new position has been LaRon Byrd, and there's been no shortage of trash-talking, from the field to the weight room.

"There's a lot of animosity," Byrd said. "A guy like Sam Shields is an athlete, so there's not too much you can fool him by. He played receiver, so he knows the routes you're going to run, and plus he's fast. He's got make-up speed. So it's kind of hard to get past him. You have to do a lot of double moves on Sam."

The secondary was definitely a place that could use some help. DeMarcus Van Dyke, Chavez Grant and Brandon Harris are the most experienced starters at cornerback, but were inconsistent last year. Van Dyke, entering his third season, made two starts last year. Harris started six games as a true freshman and Grant started seven. Ryan Hill could also slide from safety to corner this season, but Shields will definitely be in the rotation.

"I've got a real good chance of starting," Shields said. "We weren't that deep on the corner position. I've got a real good chance of starting."

To get there, though, he's got to beat the same receivers he was once practicing with. Byrd said he thinks the move will benefit the team because Shields is such a great athlete he can play anywhere. It's the backpeddling as a cornerback that's been tripping him up.

"It was tough at first," he said. "I was getting sore, just the transition from running at the receiver to having the receiver come to you. That was tough. You've just got to keep working on it, day by day."

The coaching staff hasn't made any secrets about its desire to narrow the deep group of receivers to a few go-to playmakers, and Byrd said that's upped the intensity a notch this summer.

"If you tell any group of athletes that it's going to drive them harder and make them work harder," Byrd said. "I'm kind of glad (the coaches) did that because a lot of people get complacent. I don't want to get complacent or say, 'Well, I know I'm going to start.' Everyone wants to play, so it's going to bring the level of competition up between everybody."

Including Shields
 7 years ago '04        #5682
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Ranking the ACC units: Defensive lines

July 20, 2009 5:05 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

1. Clemson -- The Tigers return three starters up front, and first-year defensive coordinator Kevin Steele's pressure defense is the perfect fit for guys like Da'Quan Bowers and Ricky Sapp. Sapp was having a good season last year before he tore his ACL at Virginia and missed the rest of the season. Defensive end Kevin Alexander is a returning starter who had 34 tackles last year, and nose guard Jarvis Jenkins tied Sapp for the team lead with 10 tackles for loss. Opposing quarterbacks won't have time to think against this bunch.

2. Miami -- Anyone watching the Virginia Tech game last year saw what this group is capable of, and of the nine linemen who started at least one game for Miami last year, seven are back. Allen Bailey has moved from end to tackle, but he sometimes played there in third-down situations. He led the team with five sacks. Marcus Robinson is a solid pass rusher, Marcus Forston could also be an impact and Eric Moncur is entering his sixth season and if he plays like he did in 2007 (11.5 tackles for loss) could really give this line a boost.

3. Virginia Tech -- Depth is the only question mark here, as Jason Worilds, John Graves, Cordarrow Thompson and Nekos Brown are more than capable of continuing Bud Foster's tradition of nationally ranked defenses. Nobody is questioning Worilds' toughness, that's for sure, and Graves and Thompson both started every game last year. They're still looking for another defensive end, though, and will keep an eye on what Chris Drager adds to the position after moving from tight end.

4. North Carolina -- Not only do all four starters return, but the depth is the best it's been in recent years. Last year, defensive end Robert Quinn became a starter in the second game of the season, and defensive tackle Cam Thomas had one of his his best season at UNC. Marvin Austin and E.J. Wilson played well, and should be even better this year. Reserves Quinton Coples and Michael McAdoo had solid rookie seasons and will push Wilson and Quinn for playing time this year. Aleric Mullins and Tydreke Powell are interchangeable with Austin and Thomas as starters at tackle.

5. Florida State -- The end position is reason for concern, as the Noles have to replace both Everette Brown and Neefy Moffett, who were first and second, respectively, on the team in sacks. Markus White will be tasked with filling the shoes of Brown, but he had a good transition season from junior college last year to build off of. Kevin McNeil, who had four sacks last year, is the favorite to replace Moffett. The interior should be solid with the return of Budd Thacker, Kendrick Stewart, Moses McCray and Justin Mincey.

6. NC State -- Defensive tackle Alan-Michael Cash and end Willie Young have combined for 46 starts and should be two of the best linemen in the conference. The other two players penciled in as starters -- Shea McKeen and Leroy Burgess -- were both junior college transfers who earned starting time last year. Backup tackles will be a concern, but Markus Kuhn could wind up playing a bit of both until the staff decides where he can help the most.

7. Wake Forest -- Tackles John Russell and Boo Robinson will highlight a defense that recently bid farewell to some of the best seniors to come through the program. It should be one of the Deacs' most experienced groups in recent years, which is important considering the new faces behind them at linebacker. Defensive end Kyle Wilbur showed a lot of promise as a redshirt freshman with three sacks in only seven starts, and Tristan Dorty played in 10 games as a redshirt defensive end last year.

8. Virginia -- It's one of the few units on this team that didn't get a complete makeover, as seven of the top eight linemen return. Sophomore Matt Conrath, who had 35 tackles and four sacks last year, returns at end. There's a lot of experience next to him at nose tackle, where senior Nate Collins and sophomore Nick Jenkins split time last season. Collins' 35 tackles are the top among the returning linemen, while Jenkins finished with 25. Junior John-Kevin Dolce proved himself in the pass rush package with five sacks among his nine total tackles last year.

9. Boston College -- Replacing tackles B.J. Raji and Ron Brace is obviously one of the biggest concerns for this team, but they've got several options. Damik Scafe, Nick Rossi and Brendan Deska were each second-stringers at the tackle position and are the early favorites to replace the NFL draft picks. The Eagles also signed a pair of defensive tackles in the offseason, including highly touted recruit Dillon Quinn, who could make an immediate impact. Austin Giles replaced the injured Alex Albright last year for 12 starts, and Jim Ramella started all 14 games at the other end position.

10. Georgia Tech -- The Yellow Jackets have to replace three of four starters up front, and until they prove they found dependable replacements, they're going to be stuck down here. The lone returning starter is junior end Derrick Morgan, and there's no doubt about his capabilities, but the Jackets will sorely miss the three starters who combined for 100 career starts and 100 tackles for loss. Ben Anderson, Robert Hall and T.J. Barnes are all candidates to start.

11. Duke -- The Blue Devils took a step forward last year and should improve again with the return of tackle Vince Oghobaase and end Ayanga Okpokwuruk, who started five games and had 6.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. They combined for 9.5 sacks last year. Oghobaase ranks second in the ACC in both career tackles for loss (29.0) and quarterback sacks (11.5). They'll need new starters at nose guard and right end.

12. Maryland -- The Terps have to fill a void left by Jeremy Navarre and Trey Covington, and so far it looks like that will be up to Derek Drummond, Dion Armstrong, Travis Ivey and Jared Harrell, though Armstrong was dealing with some academic issues. The arrival of De'Onte Arnett, Zachariah Kerr, and Cody Blue this past spring should help with the depth.
 7 years ago '04        #5683
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Byrd loaded with talent -- and swagger

All the great Canes had it. It was part of their DNA. People have tried to use other words for it in the past. But when it comes to green and orange and that U, it should only be called what it is: Swagger.

Laron ByrdSophomore receiver LaRon Byrd is one of those new Canes who are covered in it. Before you judge or jump to conclusions, understand what swagger means. It isn't being c*cky. It isn't being boastful. It isn't running underneath the stadium and firing imaginary guns like Randal Hill at the Cotton Bowl. It's confidence. The kind you are not afraid to show because you can back it up. Byrd -- a chiseled 6-4, 218 pounds -- is all of that. He's not scared. He believes what he says and -- thankfully for us in the media -- isn't afraid to say what he believes.

But it's not Kayne Farquharson swagger. It's Michael Irvin swagger. The kind that if you listen to him talk, you believe he can back it up.

Say what you want about the lack of talent, the terrible coaching and recruiting that has led to Canes mediocrity of late. Swagger is a big part of what you cheered for at the Orange Bowl when times weren't just good, but great. And it's what guys like Devin Hester and Antrel Rolle (who spend their summers working out at the U and mentoring young Canes) have said has been missing from Miami's mental makeup. But you hear it in Byrd. You hear it in Jacory Harris and Sean Spence. It's like a flicker of Canes hope, a spark maybe (think Transformers), that something special might really be brewing instead of the traditional pot of preseason coffee talk that is followed by the same old losing and frustration.

Think I'm full of it? Just listen to their voices and compare them to the guys who haven't gotten the job done. Today, as we inch closer to the start of fall practice Aug. 8, we were once again given access to three Canes players (we've got one week left). Byrd, kicker Matt Bosher and cornerback Sam Shields. You tell me who sounds like the guy you believe will get the job done? Who is the player oozing swagger?

TUESDAY'S NOTES

As usual, its pretty hard to get much in the way of news when you attend these preseason interviews. But if you like player observations and thoughts here are a few nuggets from today...

> Byrd said he's picked up a full 10th of a second of speed in the 40 -- going from a 4.52 as a freshman to a 4.42 in recent testing. "I think I've got a little more `X' button," Byrd said, making a video game reference. "There's a big difference."

> Former Canes Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne have apparently been spending a lot of time in Byrd's ear this offseason. "Reggie coaches me up a lot when he works with us," Byrd said. "And I get a lot of the leadership role from Ed Reed. He inspires me a lot, the way he talks to me, the way Reggie talks to me. `Don't embarrass Louisiana,' that's the first thing he'll say. And the second thing he'll say is `When you play for Miami you represent the right and take every play like it's your last because you never know when it's your last.' He said always approach the game serious. Reggie, he says represent the receiver spot right, that every time you run a route run it full speed, always expect that the ball is coming to you, never take off a play because you never know what will happen."

> Byrd said it's not just a rumor that the Canes will be shortening their receiver rotation this year. "They've told us the bus is going to be shorter," Byrd said. "I love it. It's going to bring out the best of both worlds. You're going to see who really wants it, who is going to back away from the competition and if it gets the drive out of you. You cut the list, say only three are going to travel, pand eople are going to work harder. I love it, love the challenges."

> While Miami hasn't had any recent 7-on-7s, I asked Byrd what some of them were like in the spring and who on the defensive side of the ball has impressed him: "To me, Brandon Harris is our best cornerback. He's very physical, he's smart, he knows the game. Brandon is my roommate, so every day I go out there and try to embarrass him, and he tries to embarrass me. Demarcus [Van Dyke] is more versatile - he can pick you off, undercut your route. He's very quick, moves off instinct. Chavez [Grant] knows the game."

Sam Shields > Shields, who switched over from receiver to cornerback this spring, said he expects to be a target of opposing offenses. When I spoke to a few UM staffers after today's press conference, they told me they believe Shields will probably get most of his snaps in dime situations and on the outside. "When we go to that, Brandon will move inside," I was told.

> Shields said he's been getting most of his help adjusting to defense from fifth-year senior Randy Phillips. But he's also been working with Reggie Wayne. "I ask him questions like who was the toughest corner he went against and how they play, who was the weakest and how do they play. What do I have to look at when looking at a receiver, how far they are out or in, what they're going to run - he helps me with things like that," Shields said.

> I asked both Shields and Byrd how much time they spend breaking down film during the summer time. While Shields said he goes about twice a week, Byrd said he's at UM nearly every day. "Usually when I'm walking out, I'm handing the keys to Aldarius [Johnson]," Byrd said. "We're just excited about this offense and learning it more and more."

> Bosher, who won last year's Team MVP award, said roommate and former Cane Francisco Zampogna had to sneak the trophy out of his room and into the living room. Bosher, who has always shied away from praise, said it is now on the table next to the TV in the living room. When asked if being MVP of the Hurricanes has helped him with the ladies, Bosher said: "I'm still with my girlfriend. So, no."

> I asked Bosher for a progress report on Jake Wieclaw and where he thinks the redshirt freshman might be closest to helping the team. "Field goals," Bosher said. "He's really starting to become a lot more consistent with those."
 7 years ago '04        #5684
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Byrd wants respect for Canes

Sophomore WR LaRon Byrd has a long-term goal in mind: He wants to build his body to become like NFL Pro Bowler Andre Johnson, who has worked out at UM this off-season.

"Andre, I'm trying to work hard to be his size," Byrd said. "He's chiseled like someone sculpted him."

So far Byrd is making some progress in that department. He is 6-4 and 218 pounds, five pounds up from last season. He ran a 4.42-second 40 time this summer, a big improvement over his 4.52 time of a year ago.

"I think I've got a little more `X' button," Byrd joked in a video game reference. "There's a big difference."

Byrd says he takes motivation from players like Johnson, who return to Miami and give current players inspiration.

"Andre, Reggie (Wayne), Ed (Reed), Phillip Buchanan, Antrel Rolle - a lot of guys have been rolling in and out," Byrd said. "I look it like motivation. They're walking the same hallways as us."

Byrd has spent time talking with Wayne and Reed.

"(Wayne) coached me up a lot when he works with us," Byrd said. "I get a lot of the leadership role from Ed Reed. He inspires me a lot, the way he talks to me, the way Reggie talks to me.

"(Reed) will say `Don't embarrass [their shared home state] Louisiana,' that's the first thing he'll say. And the second thing he'll say is `When you play for Miami you represent the right and take every play like it's your last because you never know when it's your last.' He said always approach the game serious. Reggie, he says represent the receiver spot right, that every time you run a route run it full speed, always expect that the ball is coming to you, never take off a play because you never know what will happen."

Cane coaches have said the expectation is a rotation of four to five receivers that will get most of the snaps in games this year.

"The bus is going to be short this year," Byrd said. "It's going to bring out the best of both worlds. You're going to see who really wants it, who is going to back away from the competition. (That) gets the drive out of you. You cut the list, say only three are going to travel, people are going to work harder. And I love challenges."

Of the work this summer, Byrd said, "It's been nothing but hard work, trying to correct the little things. For me it was being a little more light on my feet, coming out of my breaks quicker, adjusting to the defense, things like that."

Of his expectations for himself, Byrd said, "My goal is to be all-conference. Another goal is to make sure we win a bowl game. We definitely have to get to a BCS Bowl, hopefully a national championship. And just make sure my teammates get better. Make sure I improve, other receivers, the quarterback and so on down the list."

* The toughest thing he went through as a freshman last year?

"Just the pressure," he said. "You have so much pressure put on your shoulders. You're at this level so there's no backing down. It's dealing with the adversity from the fans (when the team loses), the opposing teams."

Asked how different it is now with a year under his belt, Byrd said, "It's real good. When we got here it was more about getting on the field, putting on the uniform. Now it's about the learning curve. It's more fundamentals now. It was very difficult at first. The speed of the game picked up from high school - you're going to get the best players in the country."

* Asked to talk about quarterback Jacory Harris, Byrd said, "When he first walked in he was a leader. He's been real focused this season, is making sure he comes out of his breaks fast, is releasing the ball with more whip. He's going in the right direction."

Byrd says thinks Harris being "the guy" with Robert Marve gone will help the sophomore QB.

"It's more motivation, more confidence," Byrd said. "Now if he makes a bad pass, bad throw, he won't have to sit out the whole game. He's definitely going to have more confidence. Like any great athlete, once the pressure is put on you that's when you perform best."

* Byrd also talked about the progress of CB Sam Shields, a converted receiver.

"Sam is an overall athlete, and he's so fast you're never going to beat him deep," Byrd said. "Wherever you put him he'll excel. We'll be out there in 7 on 7 and you never get past him - I think it was a good move (to CB) and I think he'll excel at that spot."

Byrd also addressed the play of Brandon Harris, DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chavez Grant.

"Brandon is my roommate, so every day I go out there and try to embarrass him, and he tries to embarrass me," Byrd said. "To me, Brandon Harris is our best cornerback. He's very physical, he's smart, he knows the game. Demarcus is more versatile - he can pick you off, undercut your route. He's very quick, moves off instinct. Chavez knows the game."

He said of the safeties that "Randy Phillips, he's been around the game so long, so not many plays can trick him. And Vaughn Telemaque can pick off anything you throw to him."

* Of facing FSU in Week 1, Byrd said, "If you're a Miami fan it doesn't matter what the records are. You have to come out with a win or it's going to be a long year.

"(With FSu in week 1) that makes camp more intense. We know for a fact we can't start off with an 0-1 record. We have to start off 1-0. So it makes people more motivated."

* Byrd has this to say of his 26-yard touchdown catch with 55 seconds left in the fourth quarter against Virginia last year that sent the game to overtime: "That's going to be a memory I'll remember forever. My phone had a missed call and my mom was on (the voicemail) screaming. I was glad we won the way we did (in overtime), but I wish it would have been a blowout where it didn't go into overtime. I wish we'd won in the first four quarters."

On the TD catch, he said, "It was supposed to be two post routes on (my) side, but Jacory got pressure from the right end and scrambled, and I told him `Throw the ball up.' And as he was throwing he got hit from the back and the ball came out flimsy. I opened my hands and it was in my hands. I couldn't believe it at first until the referee said touchdown."

Of where that catch rates among all his career grabs, Byrd said, "It was the best. My junior year (of high school), my first time playing wide receiver, I caught a touchdown against our rival. But that was local and this was national, so this sticks out more."

* Byrd knows there aren't high expectations among national media for the Canes entering this season.

"It's all about motivation," he said. "It always starts with the underdog. The underdog always wants to be on top. I feel that's going to drive players more and more - they're disrespecting Miami, so after this season they better respect Miami.

"This is definitely the year we have to make a point that `Hey, Miami's back."

Last edited Yesterday 9:11 PM by Canesand9ers
 7 years ago '04        #5685
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
UM FOOTBALL
Miami Hurricanes receiver looks to earn his spot
Hurricane wideouts have been told that only four or five of them will see extensive action. LaRon Byrd intends to be in that group.
Get Adobe Flash player

* Photos

Related Content

* Blog | Byrd loaded with talent - and swagger
* Chat with other Canes fans

By SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Visualize a city bus that stretches like an accordion during turns -- one section on the street from which it came and the other section on the street it entered.

Now, visualize one of those really short school buses.

Guess which one University of Miami coach Randy Shannon will have waiting for the wide receivers who impress him the most during fall camp?

``He said, `Look, the bus is going to be short this year,' '' sophomore receiver LaRon Byrd said on Wednesday. ``And everybody was like, `Whoaaa! What do you mean, Coach?' ''

Byrd, one of eight considerably skilled wide receivers, said Shannon has more than once informed what is widely considered UM's deepest and most talent-rich position group that he intends to be stingy about playing time. The best four or five will be rewarded.

``It's going to bring out the best of both worlds,'' Byrd said. ``Now you're going to see who really wants it, and now you're going to see who is going to back away from the competition. I wish he would do it with every spot -- from quarterback to running backs -- to push that drive out of you. Because some people get complacent, saying, `Well, I'm going to start no matter what.' But if you cut the list down and say, [for example], only three people are going to travel, a lot of people are going to work harder.

``It's nothing but a challenge. And I love challenges.''

FRONT-RUNNER

And the Hurricanes, who open fall camp Aug. 8, seem to love Byrd. The 6-4, 218-pound receiver uses his impressive leaping ability and big body to box out defensive backs and grab the prize.

The front-runner to start opposite equally imposing sophomore Aldarius Johnson, Byrd played in all 13 games last season for the 7-6 Hurricanes. He finished with 21 catches for 228 yards and four touchdowns. His most memorable moment: the 26-yard touchdown with 55 seconds left at Virginia that tied the score at 17 and allowed UM to win in overtime. That play not only helped close wounds from the Cavaliers' 48-0 shocker in UM's last game in the Orange Bowl the previous season, it also proved how clutch and poised the then-true freshman could be.

``The ball felt like it was frozen in the air forever,'' said Byrd, who almost tripped over one defender and was held by another. ``I was like, `Please God, let me come down with this ball.' ''

OTHER CANES

The affable and outspoken broadcast major wears the No. 47 of former UM great Michael Irvin, and regularly watches old film of him with the Cowboys and UM. This summer he has been under the tutelage of NFL stars and UM alums such as Ravens safety Ed Reed and Colts receiver Reggie Wayne. The latter two grew up in the New Orleans area, also home to Byrd.

Byrd said Reed told him, `` `Don't embarrass Louisiana.' The second thing he'll say is when you represent Miami you represent them right. Take every play like it's your last, because you never know. . . .

``Reggie was like, `You've got to represent the receiver spot right. Every time you run a route, run it full speed. Always expect that the ball is going to come to you.'

``I've seen a lot of guys, like Andre [Johnson]. I'm trying to work hard to be his size. The Andres, the Reggie Waynes, the Ed Reeds, the Phillip Buchanons, the Antrel Rolles. A lot of guys roll in and out [of UM], and for me it's motivation.''

The NFL stars also inspire fellow young receivers Johnson, Thearon Collier, Kendal Thompkins, Travis Benjamin, Davon Johnson, Leonard Hankerson and Tommy Streeter.

``Nothing but hard work [this summer],'' Byrd said from the Hecht Athletic Center. ``I think I put on a little blazer. I put on a little X button like on the game. I was [recently] timed at 4.42 [in the 40-yard dash]. Last year I was 4.52.

``You have so much pressure put on your shoulders to win at this level that you can't back down. The first year when we got here it was more about just getting on the field, trying to get those stripes and put on a uniform. Now it's all about the learning curve. We had a great spring.''

SHANNON CONTRACT

• Athletic director Kirby Hocutt is still mum on whether Shannon, about to start his third season of a four-year deal, will get an extension. ``I believe in the direction Randy is taking this program,'' Hocutt said Wednesday. ``He has a plan and we're going to stick with that plan. Contractually, that's a personnel matter that's between Randy and I, and I'm not going to comment on it publicly.''
 7 years ago '04        #5686
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
thanx cap

i wonder which receivers will make the main rotation? i think its gonna be aldarius, byrd, benjamin, collier and either thompkins or streeter since they both have chemistry with jacory from high school

"stone hands" hankerson might as well put on 25 lbs and move to tight end, we need some depth there
 7 years ago '07        #5687
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
i cant wait s*** is k!llin me

randy shannon gettin it in
 7 years ago '04        #5688
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
 madness said:
thanx cap

i wonder which receivers will make the main rotation? i think its gonna be aldarius, byrd, benjamin, collier and either thompkins or streeter since they both have chemistry with jacory from high school

"stone hands" hankerson might as well put on 25 lbs and move to tight end, we need some depth there
by stone hands do you also mean by Butter Fingers Hankerson?

gosh that kid is so inconsistent is not even funny... i'ma be pissed if Shannon starts him in place of Streeter, taking into account that Street beasts anytime he sees the field.
 7 years ago '04        #5689
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Football: Nature Coast's Tevin Drake has a message for recruiters

Ht_294219__ast_23 Nature Coast running back Tevin Drake admits his words might have tripped him up.

Arguably one of the best running backs in the Bay Area, Drake has scholarship offers from Miami, FAU and FIU. He is talking to Ole Miss and USF, and has been courted by Oregon and Georgia.

But he wonders one of his comments to a recruiting Web site might have sent a premature signal to other schools leaving them to believe he already had settled on a school.

"I said I'm most likely going to be a Hurricane," Drake said. "I guess that's how they (other) schools took it. It makes me feel like other colleges won't want me now."

Drake said Miami is his top choice, but he also likes Florida State, Georgia, Oregon and Ole Miss - in that order. At this point, he has indicated a strong push from another program could sway him.

Drake said he has no plans to make an oral commitment anytime soon. Last season, he rushed for 1,189 yards and 20 touchdowns helping the Sharks to a 9-0 start before the team was disqualified for the remainder of the season.

Drake was the running backs MVP of the Randy Shannon camp at the University of Miami last month.

"I would like other scholarships offers from other schools to see what else is out there," Drake said.

-- IZZY GOULD

7 years ago '04        #5690
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,795 | Props total: 1400 1400
its gonna be

-Byrd
-AJ
-Collier
-Benjamin
-Hankerson

more than likely
 7 years ago '05        #5691
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
who was the dude that ran that screen against tamu that was called back cuz of a holding...davon johnson or collier?
 7 years ago '06        #5692
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,667 | Props total: 12179 12179
 Deeangoe said:
who was the dude that ran that screen against tamu that was called back cuz of a holding...davon johnson or collier?
collier

by the way

Sederius Bryant 2011 LB from Seminole HS is close to commiting

[video - click to view]

check the video beaestt

the 2011 class is deep as f*** with LB's

denzel perryman is practically already commited to us... has a great relationship with barrow

hes gonna be on of the top players in the country in 2011 :rasta:
 7 years ago '07        #5693
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
Im just waitin til the season to start:agreement6:
props on the updates

And I hope streeter and byrd make the rotation
 7 years ago '04        #5694
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Byrd is def gonna make rotation...him and AJ will be the starters most likely. Byrd is special.
 7 years ago '04        #5695
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
seems like leonard doesn't wanna be left out of the short bus

[video - click to view]

7 years ago '06        #5696
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,667 | Props total: 12179 12179
i dont buy it

hankerson looks like an all american wideout

put up or sit down this year for hank

too many wolves on this team and hes had mad opportunties
 7 years ago '04        #5697
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
@hankerson starting to practice harder now that he's in jeopardy of not making the bus trip

that n*gga should be ashamed of himself after lettin all those freshmen outplay him last year
 7 years ago '04        #5698
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Hank could be extremely good he just needs to consistent. He catches the tough ones...but its the easy ones that k!ll him, and the team.

He will make the bus so dont be suprised to see him out there
 7 years ago '04        #5699
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
CanesFest brings out the fans again
Players and Hurricanes followers mingled at Land Shark Stadium, renewing their passion for another season as coach Randy Shannon's team prepares to open its fall camp Aug. 8.

During his first four years at the University of Miami, Jimmy Graham would find a little extra bounce in his step on the rare nights when the men's basketball team would draw a sellout crowd of 7,000 at BankUnited Center.

On Saturday, the 6-8, 260-pound former power forward had his first taste of what it's like to wear a football uniform in front of Hurricanes fans. The experience was about as different for him as the past four months have been as he tried to perfect catching the ball instead of bouncing it.

"Football is a little different at The U, and these fans are a little different,'' said Graham, who had a crowd of more than 20 fans circled around him waiting to get his autograph and have photos taken with him. "I love it. I wish basketball had fans like this.''

Fans got what they wanted Saturday at Land Shark Stadium during CanesFest: two hours of up-close, personal experiences with current players from the five-time national championship program they are deseparately hoping snaps out of its recent funk.

Running back Javarris James was among several players who took turns taking plunges into dunk tanks.

Quarterback Jacory Harris posed for photos with fathers and their newborns -- dressed in Canes gear -- and signed autographs well after his first Sharpie pen ran out of ink.

Even freshmen -- such as highly-touted safety Ray Ray Armstrong -- had fans lined up around the corner, waiting for their turn to say hello.

"It's been fun,'' said Armstrong, who requested to wear the No. 26 jersey of late Canes great Sean Taylor. "I'm just taking it as I go. I did a lot of this in high school, so I'm kind of used to it.''

The Hurricanes open fall camp Aug. 8, and coach Randy Shannon said excitement is building -- so much that he feels as if the Canes might be getting some of their swagger back.

"Swagger is having fun,'' Shannon said. "I think that's what these guys are doing. They're having fun and playing football.''

Shannon said he expects everyone on his roster to be ready to go when camp begins -- including tight end Dedrick Epps, who sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament before last season's Emerald Bowl in December.

That would be a huge boost for the Hurricanes, who don't have much experience behind the 6-4, 253-pound senior. After Epps (who has 30 catches for 304 yards in his career), the only tight end with a college reception is senior Richard Gordon. He has four catches for 32 yards in his career.

COMEBACK TRAIL

Epps said he couldn't remember when he began running this summer, but he still feels soreness after workouts.

"I wasn't really listening to the doctors, anyway,'' Epps said. "I just kind of took it upon myself and told myself I'd be back. I'm not worried about taking my first hit or anything like that. I'm thinking big things. I think this is going to be one of our best years.''

Whether Epps is ready for the season opener at Florida State on Sept. 7, Graham wants to be around to help the Canes out.

Since passing on invitations to play overseas after his final basketball season for Frank Haith, Graham accepted an offer from Shannon to join the football team in March.

Although Graham said getting used to playing in the heat (instead of in an air-conditioned gym) and learning the playbook have been tough adjustments, his new teammates believe he can help. Linebacker Colin McCarthy said Graham and his big body can be tough to deal with in coverage.

LOOKING GOOD

``My first impression wasn't too good. He caught me with an elbow, got me pretty good,'' said McCarthy, who said he had to have three or four stitches above his left eye after a recent 7-on-7 workout. ``He was boxing me out or something trying to catch the ball -- I don't know what he was doing. But he's been looking real good.''

Graham, who said he has been studying film of former Canes tight ends Kellen Winslow, Greg Olsen and Bubba Franks, said two former Canes greats have been giving him extra football tutoring.

"One of the biggest helpers I've had is Bernie Kosar,'' Graham said. `"I talk to him quite a bit. He's really helped me out a lot, teaching me little things. He's really been teaching me the game.

"He talks about keeping the beginning of your route the same so people can't predict that. Also, how quickly to come out of a break and how quickly the ball is going to be on you and just getting used to that.

"I've also had a little help from Ed Reed, teaching me how to read defense. You have to be able to read safeties and linebackers. It's a lot more than five people [on a court]. And I'm just getting used to that.''
 7 years ago '04        #5700
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Miami Hurricanes football notebook: Linebacker Colin McCarthy ready for big return

UM Colin McCarthy had big plans for his junior year, but they were scrapped when he sustained a season-ending shoulder injury against North Carolina on Sept. 27.

After receiving a medical redshirt and missing the spring, the 6-3, 235-pounder says he is ready to help a UM run defense that struggled to stop the run last season without him.

"I feel healthy, probably the best I've ever felt,'' said McCarthy, who calls the four-inch scar on his left shoulder his ``stab wound.''

"My numbers are back to normal. Some have gone up a little bit -- power clean and that kind of stuff. [Strength coach Andreu] Swasey has done a great job, and so have our trainers, making sure I'm 100 percent.''

McCarthy, who has played outside linebacker most of his career, said coaches have talked about moving him to middle linebacker. He expects to get a look there during camp.

Last season, UM fell from 40th against the run nationally in 2007 to 75th, giving up 151 yards a game. But ESPN recently tabbed UM's linebacker corps as the No. 1 unit in the ACC.

"That makes sense. That's accurate,'' McCarthy said. "We have a lot of depth. Across the board we're two, three deep. With Sean [Spence], he's one of the top linebackers. With all of us together and the way we work, way we chase the ball, No. 1 in the ACC, that sounds about right.''

McCarthy said the defense employed by new coordinator John Lovett should help Miami improve against the run and also create more turnovers. Last year, the Canes picked off only four passes.

"It's more of the defense we ran my freshman year under coach [Randy] Shannon,'' McCarthy said. "It's not as many checks......I think that's how it was back in the day when the athletes we had could just use their athleticism and make plays. The defense is more simplified.''

HERE COMES RAY RAY

Freshman safety Ray Ray Armstrong, UM's most heralded 2009 recruit, had the longest line of fans waiting to meet him Saturday at CanesFest.

Fans might be excited about what Armstrong (6-4, 218) might become, but senior cornerback Chavez Grant said they should be patient.

"He's definitely big and strong,'' Grant said. ``But in [7-on-7 drills], we're working with him, trying to get his feet right and work with his hips. He's not bad. But at this level you have to be a lot quicker, a lot faster. . . . But he's definitely going to make a difference.''

FRESH FACES

UM welcomed seven of its 17 signees in January. On Saturday, the other 10 freshmen met Canes fans.

Running back Lamar Miller (Miami k!llian) and defensive end Dyron Dye, from Class 6A champion Sanford Seminole, were among the more popular targets for autographs.

Safety Jamal Reid called it an eye-opening experience.

"I always dreamed about having this experience, coming to a big college, playing in front of fans like this,'' said Reid, who played for tiny Mayo Lafayette High last season. ``There are probably more people here than in my entire town.

"I feel like just ate a Happy Meal. I'm loving it.''
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
63 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
208 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
66 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
88 comments
1 day ago