70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #5561
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Former `Canes RB Charlie Jones defends `04-05 recruits

> Posted by Shandel Richardson on June 23, 2009 07:14 PM
When Charlie Jones arrived at UM in 2004, he felt everything was going as expected.

Things changed for him, and the rest of the players from the 2004 and 2005 recruiting classes, when the coaching staff began to unravel. In response to those critical of the Hurricanes' recent recruiting woes, Jones said it was difficult to play during those years.

UM fired five a.ssistants after the 2005 season. Then coach Larry Coker was canned in 2006. Since Randy Shannon took over in 2007, there have been four a.ssistants who were fired or left for other jobs. That, Jones said, was too much for any player to handle.

"The guys that came in 2004 and 2005 got mixed up in the whole coaching change," Jones said. "I mean, I'd been through three or four offensive coordinators and (three) running back coaches. You've got to be consistent. You've got to develop some players at some point. I felt like if they would've kept the same coaching staff, a lot of guys would've ended up differently."

Jones said among the downfalls was a decrease in family atmosphere as pressure mounted when wins weren't being produced.

"When I first came to Miami, I think the coaching was fine," said Jones, rated the nation's No. 5 running back while at South Dade High School. "There was no problem with it. We were learning something new everyday .... "They were always preaching family this and family that, but after coach Coker left, it wasn't a family. Everything changed. A lot of guys felt they were screwed over."

Jones transferred to Memphis after the 2007 season, saying he had become tired of all the change. He felt the constant staff movement factored into the struggles of the veteran players. Jones was demoted in the spring of 2007. He started the first three games of 2006 before losing out to Javarris James, a freshman at the time.

"Graig Cooper came to the University of Miami in the spring of 2007, and [the new coaches] put him first on the depth chart the first day of spring practice," Jones said. "Nobody had seen him play. I mean, they had only seen him on film."

Jones said many of the older players felt they were being forced out during Shannon's "cleanse" of the program.

"When coach Shannon came in, he wanted to start all over and he wanted to start from scratch," Jones said. "The guys he recruited, he wanted to build off them. In the process, he screwed over a lot of upperclassmen."

Jones said he felt he could've helped the team in 2008 when James was hurt, leaving the bulk of the late-season load on Cooper. The Hurricanes had to play seldom-used Lee Chambers in the Emerald Bowl. Chambers did respond with a solid game. Jones rushed for 262 yards and six touchdowns last year at Memphis.

"You just can't get a kid off the street [freshmen] and expect them to come in and play against guys that have been in college for three or four years," Jones said. "They kind of put up a f!ght, but in the end, the older guys are going to win and I felt it showed during games."
 7 years ago '04        #5562
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
 Playnogames305 said:

Kyle Wright
QB 2003: Rated the No. 5 overall player by Rivals.com, but struggled with inconsistency throughout career

Lance Leggett
WR 2004: A top-20 recruit who never developed into the gamebreaker analysts projected

Willie Williams
LB 2004: The nation's top linebacker recruit couldn't make it through a season before transferring

Ryan Moore
WR 2002: Was considered a five-star recruit, but finished career with just 49 catches

James Bryant
FB 2004: A four-star recruit who could never find a position and was suspended three times before transferring
@this list of bums
 7 years ago '07        #5563
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
that list is horrible

ill give willie a pass tho because he was a beast
 7 years ago '04        #5564
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1402 1402
 L-E-Dub b***h said:
that list is horrible

ill give willie a pass tho because he was a beast
a beast at f**kin up....dude accomplished nothing.

and at Charlie Jones...the n*gga did good filling in for T.Moss in 05 but in 06 the n*gga was straight garbage. Dude look like he did no training whatsoever in that off-season..he was slow as molasses and pretty much the catalyst with his got damn fumbles for the Louisville slugging we took that year.

so Charlie Jones f**k you buddy
 7 years ago '05        #5565
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
thing is kyle wright actually started good...in 05 we were ranked #3 after k!llin vatech then all of a sudden ppl where saying they wanted to see miami and usc at the rose bowl...and then ga tech happend...

ryan moore was good his freshmen yr then he started f**king up...same with legget he had a decent freshmen yr then went downhill

how the f**k do you start good then fail miserably...
 7 years ago '06        #5566
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
4 star OLB Javarie Johnson outta washington DC has commited :)

offers from all over

love his film

love that shannons going all over the country and got somebody that wasnt even on the canes radar.... i bet shannon has more up his sleeve :)
 7 years ago '04        #5567
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
TE Sanders Ready to Play at Miami
Jun. 26, 2009

By: Christopher Stock

Tight end Billy Sanders is a relative unknown in Miami’s 2009 signing class.

He’s hoping to change that.

Sanders, 6-foot-4 and 239 pounds, played his senior year at Lake City High School in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho where he had 33 receptions for 450 yards and four touchdowns. On defense, he had 81 tackles, nine sacks, and two interceptions.

He’ll be headed to the University of Miami on June 28 and begin summer classes. It’s something that he’s excited for.

“I’m looking forward to getting down there and start weight training with Coach Swasey,” Sanders said. “I’m excited to go there. I just want to play tight end. All throughout high school I’ve played tight end and defensive end on every play so now I’m looking forward to just concentrating on tight end. I might long snap too.”

Sanders, who will wear number 88 at Miami, is hoping to be a dominant player at a position still looking for an identity after Greg Olsen left in 2006. Jeremy Shockey, Bubba Franks, and Kellen Winslow have also starred at UM in the 2000s.

“I’m hoping to be at their level,” Sanders said. “I have all of the skills to do it. I’m excited. I want to be in an offense that will hopefully get the ball to the tight end and I think Coach Whipple will do that a lot. I talked to him in the spring and he said they have put in a lot of plays for the tight end, which was exciting to hear.”

Sanders played his junior season at Brophy Prep in Phoenix, Ariz. and has returned back to Arizona where he has been working out in the offseason. His off-season workouts have consisted of working out five days a week for 3-4 hours and trains with a number of pro football players including Arizona Cardinals rookie Chris Wells. Sanders also trains with other Cardinals and members of the Cincinnati Bengals.

“I’ve been with them every day for the last four months,” Sanders said. “It’s been a long process, but pretty good. It’s cool to run with them. It’s good competition. You race because everything is timed with the agility and cone work. It’s pretty intense when you get into it.”

Sanders has put on nine pounds since his high school season with focus on a diet featuring improving lean muscle while developing speed and strength.

This season, Sanders hopes to make an impact on the field.

“I want to get in on a lot of the special teams,” Sanders said. “And try to get to get in at tight end too. Maybe play and start. That would be cool. I just want add to something to the team. Hopefully I can do that.”

Miami is looking for a boost to the tight end position with Richard Gordon being the only member of the group with a reception in his career albeit he has just one.

Sanders came down to UM for a week during spring practices and saw he’ll have a chance to play.

“This spring at practice, I definitely saw that I could step in there with what I saw with the competition. I felt really good and it was one of the reasons why I decided to go to Miami.”

For those who haven’t seen Sanders, whose favorite NFL tight ends are Owen Daniels and Kellen Winslow, he described his style.

“I have really good hands,” Sanders said. “I can catch the ball. I can get open easily. I’m a good blocker. I run pretty good routes, but I’m sure-handed. I bring the defensive mentality and tenacity to the offense. I play with a lot of fire and intensity. When I get the ball I run over guys, I usually don’t try to juke around too much, I try to get upfield.”
 7 years ago '05        #5568
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Rest of '09 recruits arrive Tuesday, minus 2

The University of Miami inked 19 players on National Signing Day and welcomed six in for the spring. Tuesday, the rest of the incoming freshmen will arrive -- if they hadn't already -- when the second session of summer classes begin.

Prince Kent won't be among the '09 recruits who begin classes Tuesday at UM. So, who won't be among the new arrivals? So far, it looks like two players -- offensive lineman Malcolm Bunche and defensive back Prince Kent. Bunche told me he's headed to prep school. And although I haven't been able to reach Kent (he and his mom have changed their phone numbers) a source told me his academic situation isn't good and UM is trying to help him find another school (another source told me its Marshall).

But everybody else -- the remaining 11 recruits -- will be ready to go when fall football practices begin in early August.

"My test scores weren't as good as they were supposed to be," Bunche said. "So, I have to go to a prep school. Hopefully, its Milford. I'll spend a semester up there and then I will definitely get back to Miami in January and partake in spring practice.

"I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to stop. I'm going to keep going to where I have to be. This is just a bump on the road."

Bunche said he took the ACT, but failed to score high enough to qualify for UM's sliding scale (GPA, plus test score). He said he was taking an SAT/ACT Prep course and thought he was going to be prepared for the exam. Unfortunately, he says he can't take another exam until September, which is obviously too late to get into Miami. His plan now is to attend either Milford Prep in New York or Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia.

"I'm sticking to my basic workout routine," Bunche said. "I went down from 320 to 315. I guess it's been all the running in the sun for the past two weeks. I'll be back."

> Bunche said he's spent the past two weeks in Miami training with his cousin, fellow UM recruit A.J. Highsmith. Bunch said Highsmith will begin taking classes at UM on Tuesday. He said his cousin expects to spend at least his first season at UM at quarterback.

A FEW NOTES ON OTHER INCOMING PLAYERS...

Shayon Green > Shayon Green said although he was recruited to play defensive end by the Hurricanes, he was recently told by defensive a.ssistant Micheal Barrow he will start out at linebacker. The 6-2 recruit from Tifton, Ga. (the same hometown of UM defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff) said he's put on 10 pounds since the end of his high school season and is now weighing 235. He played linebacker his senior season and racked up 120 tackles and three sacks. He will room with defensive tackle Curtis Porter, who arrived in the spring.

"I can't wait to start classes," said Green, who has spent the past week getting acclimated to South Florida by living with his grandparents and aunt in Homestead. "All this waiting around can drive you crazy."

> Jim Wheeler, the father of offensive lineman Jared Wheeler, said his son is just as anxious about starting classes Tuesday. Wheeler said his son, who will be rooming with tight end Billy Sanders, has put on weight with his offseason conditioning program and is now 6-5, 328. "He's gotten a lot stronger," Wheeler said. "He's got that brute strength, but he can't wait to start with Coach Swasey. He's already up to benching 325 pounds. That's pretty good for a freshman."

Wheeler said UM coaches still haven't told him exactly where he will start out on the offensive line. But Wheeler said he hopes its center. "Jared has the brain and the speed to play center," Wheeler said. "[Jacory] Harris is a tall quarterback, but even still Jared can get down. He could also be a big guard. He's got the long arms."

> As for his younger son, Plantation American Heritage senior Jacob Wheeler, Mr. Wheeler said he recently received his first football scholarship offer from Maryland. The family visited Maryland this past weekend. "Miami wants Jake. Coach Stoutland told him if he decides to put his hand down, he's got a scholarship," Mr. Wheeler said. "But right now, that's Jake's big decision. Does he want to play offensive line or tight end? Everybody keeps telling him he's a lineman. I think he's starting to realize it."

Mr. Wheeler said many schools are recruiting Jacob Wheeler (6-8, 238) not only as an offensive lineman , but as a power forward too. Wheeler plays for the Coral Springs Intensity Jammers AAU Team and will be traveling to Las Vegas and New York for tournaments. "He's played with Kenny Boynton for two years so a lot of people have seen him," Mr. Wheeler said. "They just haven't seen him with the ball a whole lot. But they like him. Coastal Carolina, Fordham and Rutgers have all talked about him playing both sports at the next level. Miami hasn't yet."

Ray Ray Armstrong > Sanford Seminole coach Mike Cullison said both of his former players -- safety Ray Ray Armstrong (UM's most highly touted recruit) and defensive end Dyron Dye -- have already been in Miami for more than a week and will start classes Tuesday.

Armstrong, whom Cullison has compared to Sean Taylor in the past, will wear No. 26. Armstrong (6-4, 215) broke his finger after the season, but will not miss any time according to Cullison. Cullison said although Armstrong could put on some weight and play linebacker, he expects him to play safety.

"I've never coached a kid as competitive as Ray Ray," Cullison said. "He's not going to come out of the game with a bump. They'll have to drag him off the field. I spoke to him last week because I didn't get a chance to say good-bye to him. He's read for this. He's ready to let loose and be a leader."

As for Dye (6-5, 230), he thinks he'll end up switching positions -- from defensive end to tight end -- before his career is done. ""He's got so much upside to him that he doesn't know how good he can be," Cullison said "But I think he could end up being a tight end -- if they use a tight end. He blocks very well. His hands are getting better. He's already got that quick first step. I think he could play in the league as a tight end."

> Speaking of tight ends, Stephen Plein said he's finally all ready to go and begin taking classes at UM on Wednesday. Plein tried enrolling in the spring, but was held up by the NCAA Clearinghouse. They finally passed him through two weeks ago. The holdup? "They made me take an online class over," Plein said. "So, I took online journalism at Brigham Young. It was actually kind of fun."

Plein said he's been working hard in the offseason with a speed coach -- former Tennessee a.ssistant Wes Parker, who lives in the Fort Myers area. Plein said he's brought down his 40-time from 4.9 seconds to 4.62 seconds. He's now 6-6, 255 and eager to provide a hand at a position UM sorely needs help at. He played tight end before moving to Fort Myers his senior year, where he spent the season at defensive end.

"I saw coach Pannunzio about three weeks ago when I went down to UM for my physical," Plein said. "He hadn't seen me since the spring. He was like 'Dang, you could start for me right now.' I just want to help any way that I can."

> Under-Armour All-American defensive back Jamal Reid said he's put on about 10 pounds of muscle in the offseason and now lists himself at 6-1, 178 pounds. Although he could play cornerback, he said UM coaches want him to come in at safety because of his playmaking abilities. He said he will be rooming with defensive end Olivier Vernon.

Reid said he's talked to Randy Shannon about playing baseball in the spring time. Reid was an outfielder at Mayo Lafayette. "Coach Shannon said as long as I keep my grades up, I can play baseball too," Reid said. "I'd love to do both. I'll be meeting with Coach [Jim] Morris when I get there."
 7 years ago '06        #5569
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
bumche get stronger famo we need you

damn i hope that shyt about prince kent aint true
 7 years ago '05        #5570
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
sucks about kent

edit: btw i copied and pasted the article from manny navarro at the herlad..so its most likely true
 7 years ago '04        #5571
booie4 
space
space
$4,880 | Props total: 609 609
The Class of 2010 in South Florida remains one of the strongest ever, drawing comparisons to the Class of 2008 that remains arguably the best class ever produced in the South Florida area, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

In comparing the two classes, there are similarities and there are differences. However, what remains true is that the Class of 2010 is loaded with ridiculous talent, which nearly mirrors the talent the Class of 2008 produced, talent that the University of Miami must figure out how to keep in South Florida.

Similarity No. 1

The 2010 class is absolutely loaded in South Florida. The wide receiver position in South Florida was loaded in 2008. Miami picked up commitments from the likes of Aldarius Johnson, Tommy Streeter, Collier, Davon Johnson and Travis Benjamin. This year's class if filled with talent such as Ivan McCartney, Michaelee Harris, Josh Reese, Chris Dunkley, Willis Wright and Shawn Corker.

Similarity No. 2

Northwestern and Booker T. alone resulted in ten of Miami's 19 South Florida signees. Simply put, every major prospect signed with Miami. Both schools are loaded once again and many of these prospects have major interest in Miami.

Similarity No. 3

This talent is so deep in this class that this class could truly be the beginning of the future. At the present time, the Class of 2008 is filling up the starting line up. Sean Spence, Jacory Harris, Aldarius Johnson, Thearon Collier, Marcus Robinson and Brandon Harris were among a number of freshman starters at some point last year and will definitely be a part of the starting line up this season. The players from the Class of 2010 while they will only be freshmen when the 2008 class members are juniors, they will be big time playmakers at some point.

Difference No. 1

The 'Canes signed seven wide receivers in 2008, six of which are from South Florida. Right now, Miami has no commitments at wide receiver. That has to change and at least two of these receivers have to come from South Florida. For me, that would be Wright and Harris because I think big receivers are the future of this program. I would add McCartney to the list if he can bulk up some because he is 6-foot-3.

Difference No. 2

At this same point, Miami already had commitments from seven of the ten players at both schools. The hold outs were Brandon Harris, Ben Jones and Tommy Streeter. Miami only has one commitment from both schools right now, Todd Chandler. At the same time, Miami doesn't need the Booker T. and Northwestern connection for this class to be complete. The overall wealth of talent in South Florida is way deeper than simply two schools.

Difference No. 3

The 2010 class will not need to walk in and start like members of the 2008 class had no choice, but to do just that and be productive. Spence, Robinson, Collier, Aldarius Johnson and both Harris' were among some of the starters, but they were starters because Randy Shannon basically had no choice, but to start them because Miami simply didn't have any depth on its roster. While the 2010 class will need some early contributors, the hope will be that they won't need to be a major part of the rotation until their redshirt freshman and/or sophomore seasons.

Final Verdict

Simply stated though, the Class of 2010 is a big time class and the University of Miami has to knock this class out of the park to continue the growth of this program and that starts in South Florida with the incredible talent that South Florida has.
 7 years ago '04        #5572
booie4 
space
space
Prince Kent will be at the University of Miami in one week to begin summer classes.

"I've been counting down for the longest now," Kent said. "I'm just so excited. My best friend and I talk about it every day. Florida State, first game of the season. I'm extremely excited."

At 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds, there has been plenty of debate whether he will play safety or cornerback at Miami.

"Right now I am looking at corner," said Kent, who will wear number 33.

Kent has been working out five days a week, two to three hours a day with former NFL cornerback Bobby Butler, who played 12 seasons in the NFL with Atlanta. During the weight room session of the workout, Kent is looking to improve his bench press from 285 to 300, while maintaining his already strong lower body.

"He's working with me at the cornerback position giving me techniques that I can use in college so I'm going in knowing the basics of corner," Kent said. "At the same time I'm doing a lot of footwork drills, that's what you really want to get down and 1-on-1s so we are doing a lot of that. I'm feeling very confident right now at the cornerback position. I'm ready to surprise some people coming in."

Kent was an Under Armour All-American out of Norcross (Ga.) High School, where he primarily played safety and wide receiver. But he has his eyes set on playing cornerback and has already let his future teammates know he's ready to make an impact.

"I talk to the receivers that are at Miami now in the spring like Tommy Streeter saying, 'Hey, are you ready to get shut down when I get down there. All that stuff you were doing in the spring wont be happening when I get there," Kent said. "And I've told Jacory Harris, 'Yo, all that stuff that you were throwing in the spring, I'm picking it off, I'm telling you'. I'm just playing around, but at the same time I want to compete, get my confidence up, and have fun."

There are a number of receivers that stand 6-foot-2 or taller at Miami including Aldarius Johnson, Leonard Hankerson, LaRon Byrd, and Tommy Streeter.

"I really don't care about bigger receivers because I'm just as big. I go up against bigger receivers better because they are at my level. When you face smaller receivers, sometimes it's tough to get a hand on them, but with bigger receivers I can get my hand on them, get them off their route, and throw their timing off with their quarterbacks. I feel like going up against those guys will really showcase what I can do. I don't have a problem going up against those guys."

The smaller, quicker receivers--Travis Benjamin, Thearon Collier, Kendal Thompkins, and Davon Johnson--will provide a challenge for Kent during fall camp.

"I just think with the quicker receivers, it is about me being patient," Kent said. "Those guys are going to be quick to make a move off of the line. You don't want to get beat off the line and feel you are in trouble. I think as a corner, that is what I have been working on, is going up against the smaller receivers that I will face."

While Kent is confident in his abilities and what he can bring to the table, he has a sense of modesty that will keep him working hard to earn a spot at a position that needs a playmaker.

"My freshman year, I don't expect to come in and be a big-time player," Kent said. "I just want to come in and be a difference maker and work hard on the field. My goal is to play, no matter where it's at where it's special teams or on defense or offense, I'm versatile. My goal is just to get on that field."

There aren't too many corners Kent's size at any level, but Charges Pro Bowler Antonio Cromartie has been extremely successful as a big cornerback at 6-foot-2 and 204 pounds.

"That's one of the guys that I look at and say, I want to get better than him," Kent said. "You want to be like him, but at the same time, you want to be better than him. I want everybody to look at me the way they look at Cromartie. I really look up to him and the things he brings at corner."

Playing with Ray Ray

Kent spent quite a bit of time with Ray Ray Armstrong, a fellow 2009 signee and safety from Sanford Seminole, at the Under Armour All-American game in January. Armstrong has a lot of attention on him to come in and be a big-time playmaker, which is something Kent is looking forward to seeing.

"Of course I am looking forward to playing with someone like Ray Ray," Kent said. "He's extremely talented. A lot of people will look up to him. This guy has the vision of being someone as good as Sean Taylor. It's amazing to even be in the category that he might be the next Sean Taylor and I do look forward to playing with him. He brings it every play, he has that swag and it's something that I can feed off of."

Education Important to Kent

When asked about his career goals at Miami, Kent discussed academics, something that often gets lost in the shuffle when a player embarks on a journey at prestigious football program.

"It's all about education. That's one thing that I have in mind," he said. "That's my number one goal is to get an education. That should be every athlete's goal. My goal is to keep above a 3.0 GPA. That's my biggest goal. Right now I'm going to go into Accounting."
 7 years ago '05        #5573
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
yooo booie whered u get the prince kent article...cuz from the looks of it....it looks old, summer skool i think started today.
 7 years ago '06        #5574
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Nelson chose the Canes over LSU. He was also offered by Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Central Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina and Louisville, among others.

Nelson told ESPN affiliate Web site InsideTheU.com, "I called coach Randy Shannon and told him that I want to be the guy along with Futch and Sean Spence and all the other guys that are going to be my Cane brothers. I told him that I wanted to win a National Championship for him and that I am coming to be a Hurricane."

Miami-Florida now has 10 commitments, including six ESPNU 150 Watch List prospects.
love the quote for the kid... welcome to the family
 7 years ago '07        #5575
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,226 | Props total: 466 466
i hope kent is on the squad
 7 years ago '04        #5576
booie4 
space
space
its an old article i ran across. i don't have insidetheu anymore, thats why i'm not posting a bunch of articles now.
 7 years ago '06        #5577
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Why the optimism for UM football in 2009? Let coach Randy Shannon count the ways

As Randy Shannon looks ahead to the start of practice on Aug. 7, the University of Miami football coach sees much reason for optimism.

''You will see this team taking the next step,'' Shannon said in a chat in his office. ``The Georgia Tech game last year [a 41-23 loss] made us grow a lot. That will make us a better team record-wise. We're a lot more talented, have a lot more depth. You don't have to worry about [defensive-line] depth any more. Two years ago, you had only five defensive linemen to play in a game. That alone should tell you how far we've come.''

Can UM, 7-6 in 2008, be a national contender, or is that a year away because of youth and a brutal early schedule?

''We've got a great shot if we stay healthy,'' Shannon said. ``I have confidence in the offense to be a lot better because they're more experienced. I feel good about the whole defense.''

He said running back, where UM has six solid players (including freshmen Mike James and Lamar Miller), ''should be the strength.'' Not that Shannon expects slacking off, but ``if Javarris James and Graig Cooper -- and they know it -- if they just want to be lazy, well, you play the other guys. The best guys will play.''

UM rotated as many as nine receivers in 2008, but Shannon said ``we are going to have maybe four, five guys that are playing. Sometimes people get in the mode of saying talent, talent, talent. The guys who work the hardest are going to play.''

Most improved players? Shannon cited offensive linemen Brandon Washington (an early enrollee) and Harland Gunn, defensive end Adewale Ojomo, receiver Leonard Hankerson and safety Randy Phillips. . . . He feels much better about cornerback and expects ''big things'' from Brandon Harris. . . . Shannon said safety Joe Wylie remains at UM, though he explored transferring.

New coordinator Mark Whipple has done ''great things'' with the offense, and Shannon will not curtail his creativity. ''If we have to score 70, we'll score 70,'' Shannon said. Another clear sign of Whipple's impact: ``Kids want to be around coaches, want to watch more film on their own.''

He said tight end Dedrick Epps (knee) is on track to start the season, but it's not certain. . . . Eric Moncur, Colin McCarthy (both finally healthy) and Phillips ``bring some leadership on defense that we missed. Last year, we had Glenn Cook doing it himself.''

Shannon's concerns? Lack of backup experience at linebacker -- where '' Ray Buchanan, Jordan Futch and Arthur Brown have to help us'' -- and offensive line. Though Taylor Cook, the likely backup quarterback, improved, ``we've got to bring one of those young quarterbacks around because there's the one guy [ Jacory Harris] and then there's a void.''

Shannon loves Harris' evolution as a leader: ``The players like him. He's always with different guys, not just one group.''

He said all six early enrollees ''can help us this year.'' Of UM's 19 signees, 17 will be on campus this month. Offensive lineman Malcolm Bunche is headed to prep school and wants to enroll at UM in January. Defensive back Prince Kent (academic problems) is expected to enroll elsewhere.

He said UM's ''culture'' is ''totally different'' - there are no off-field distractions, player arrests, etc. Because of that, ``I approach things differently. I don't have to keep grinding them. They are doing all the rights things.''

Shannon, with two years left on his contract, said he and athletic director Kirby Hocutt spoke about an extension. ``We feel like it's going to happen, but he's busy doing some things . . . as far as facilities.''
. ''If we have to score 70, we'll score 70,'' Shannon said.

ohhh really now shannon?

i miss those days :(

Last edited by DEDOS; 07-01-2009 at 01:07 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #5578
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
i heard that matt bosher was in a car accident today...dude was driving and someone cut him off crashing...his airbags deployed...he wasnt seriously injured tho...got some scratches on him arm...thats about it...hopefully nothing comes out furthur bout him being hurt or something
 7 years ago '05        #5579
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
prince kent will not be a hurricane...apparently hes academic casualty...honestly dont even know why they recruited him if they knew he wasnt going qualify...maybe webster woulndt had sign with usf
 7 years ago '04        #5580
booie4 
space
space
CaneSport.com is breaking down each game the Canes will play this season. Game No. 4 is at home against Oklahoma Oct. 3.

GENERAL OVERVIEW

It was quite a 2008 season for the Sooners. Oklahoma finished last year with a 12-2 record, winning the Big 12, and then lost in the BCS Championshipo Game at Miami to Florida, 24-14. Quarterback Sam Bradford won the Heisman, and four players were All-Americans: Bradford, Jermaine Gresham, Gerald McCoy and Duke Robinson.

In 2009 the team has 21 full or part-time starters returning, so this is a team loaded with experience and talent.

OFFENSE OVERVIEW

Oklahoma's 716 points scored last year made the Sooners the highest scoring team in the modern era of college football. This was a team that scored 60 or more points in five straight games.

The good news for opponents? Those numbers will be tough to match.

The bad news? It's not out of the realm of possibility, considering this team returns its Heisman Trophy winning QB, top rushers and two of the top three receivers from a year ago.

Bradford threw for 4,720 yards and an incredible 50 touchdowns a year ago. Leading rusher Chris Brown will look to build on a year in which he had 1,220 yards and 20 touchdowns. DeMarco Murray also returns after rushing for 1,002 yards and 14 touchdowns.

The team's top receiver, Juaquin Iglesias, is gone. But tight end Jermaine Gresham is back after a 950-yard, 14 touchdown season. Manuel Johnson is the top returning wide receiver - he had 714 yards and nine touchdowns a year ago.

The offensive line brings back only one full-time starter, Trent Williams, so that is an area the team will need to restock quickly.

Starters lost on offense were center Jon Cooper, guards Duke Robinson and Brandon Walker, tackle Phil Loadholt and receivers Juaquin Iglesias and Manuel Johnson.

DEFENSE OVERVIEW

In 2008 Oklahoma played nine of the top 50 offenses in the nation and nine of the top 50 in scoring (including four of the top six). Of those nine teams, only three exceeded their season scoring average against the Sooners.

And Oklahoma only lost two starters from that team - safeties Nic Harris and Lendy Holmes.

Up front the team is led by ends Jeremy Beal (team-leading 8.5 sacks) and Auston English (nine tackles for losses) along with tackles Gerald McCoy (6.5 sacks) and Adrian Taylor (4.5 sacks).

Sophomore Travis Lewis is back after leading the team from his linebacker spot with 144 tackles, fourth-most in the nation. He also had four interceptions.

Brian Jackson and Dominique Franks were first-time starters at cornerback a year ago, and both proved extremely capable - they combined for six interceptions. The Canes will have to be careful airing out the ball with them in coverage. Overall this team had 19 interceptions last season, and those interceptions came from eight different players.

THE MATCHUPS

Oklahoma was a great team a year ago. And this is pretty much the same team with more experience. UM will be a big underdog in this game.

So how can Miami try and win this game?

Well, for the Canes to have any chance of winning the team will need to significantly slow down either the running or passing game. Either will be difficult to accomplish, so John Lovett and Mark Whipple will have their hands full.

One area Miami is likely to try and exploit is Oklahoma's offensive line that lost four starters. That is one aspect of this game in which the Canes just may have an advantage. If UM can pressure Sam Bradford, that would go a long way to slowing down the high-powered Oklahoma attack.

Then it will be up to UM's offense to avoid turnovers and be efficient with the football in putting points up on the board. This could easily be a game in which Miami will need to score over 40 points in order to win.

Miami will also have to work hard to win the special teams battle in this game. Oklahoma has scored 20 special teams touchdowns in its last 69 regular season games. The Sooners will have a new punter this year with Mike Knall graduating, so that may help opponents with field position. For now it appears Tress Way, who redshirted last year, has the edge in winning the job. At placekicker Jimmy Stevens returns after making eight of 12 kicks a year ago.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
30 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
52 comments
1 day ago