squad up!

Miami Hurricanes

view the rest of most viewed

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #6926
Kinglew88 14 heat pts14
space
space
$13,933 | Props total: 1895 1895
Smh @ us playing in the sugar bowl that year.

we were royally screwed. OU didnt want no parts of us anyway

8 years ago '07        #6927
Kinglew88 14 heat pts14
space
space
Scrimmage news

8 years ago '04        #6928
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Figueroa: OT is the Biggest Test
Aug. 18, 2010

By: Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat

Joel Figueroa.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Finding a right tackle to compliment Orlando Franklin on the left side of the line was very important for the University of Miami football team. Franklin moved over from guard because coaches thought he was the best fit for the position and generally a team’s best offensive lineman plays left tackle.

The second best lineman usually takes the other side. Remember back to 2001 how Bryant McKinnie and Joaquin Gonzalez dominated both sides of the line and Ken Dorsey was sacked only four times. Those are two key components beyond the center to having a dominating offensive line.

Keep the pressure off the quarterback and victories will come in bunches. So rather than go with redshirt sophomore Ben Jones who got many of the reps in the Spring at right tackle, the coaches went a different direction moving the mammoth sized Joel Figueroa to right tackle from his normal guard position.

The two former guards now have a ton of pressure on them to perform and protect Jacory Harris’ front and backsides.

“I definitely asked him (Franklin) how was it when he moved, when you translate it and change to the other position. It’s a lot of aggression he had to put off and turn more to technique, so that’s exactly what I am trying to do,” Figueroa said.

The move for Figueroa isn’t one that is foreign to him. He was an offensive tackle in high school and a dominating one at that. Reliving that old dominance on the next level will be much tougher and he’ll have to do it quickly.

However, teammates have raved about his athleticism and he’s already made a splash with a widely reported pancake job of Allen Bailey during one of the team’s early practices this Fall. Figueroa is not worried about the move because the linemen generally learn all the positions on the line.

“It doesn’t change much to tell you the truth because coach Stoutland teaches us every position so it was just moving out there finally, it wasn’t that big of a deal,” Figueroa said.

But it will change the way he has to play. He may lose some of his aggression because he’s on an island and rather than try to mash the defensive end in front of him, he make have to catch the end and simply pop him with the outside hand to push the rushing end past Harris allowing him to step up in the pocket.

“I will be (facing the best pass rushers), but like I said I feel I am going against the best defensive ends every so I feel they will make me prepared,” Figueroa said. “At guard, I was much more aggressive. I had no problem making mistakes because I had guys on my inside and outside, but now I have to be less aggressive and use more technique to get the job done. I’m remembering playing tackle in high school. It’s going to be a lot of fun this year. I can’t wait for the season to start.”

Another big help is that the team has a lot more depth on the offensive line which will certainly push Figueroa to be dominant.

“We got a lot of guys coming around and guys coming back from injuries and things like this, you know Jacory is going to handle his like he always does and we got to protect him and the running backs are going to run the ball so yeah, we’re going to be ready,” Figueroa said.

He knows it will be very important for the line to take care of its business though and take it game-by-game rather than looking ahead and getting too excited about one win.

“I really don’t focus on that (the hype). I just focus on the team right now, it’s just working on this right tackle spot. Right now, we’re just taking it one game at a time. We want to win. That’s everybodies goal in the nation. Everybody wants to win, but first you got to start with the first game and that’s FAM(U),” Figueroa said. “Everybody thinks that (Ohio State), but you just want to focus on the first game, not trying to focus on the second game which everyone is asking questions about, but you know you can’t escape it, everybody wants to win.”

He is yearning for the challenge of being a tackle more than anything. It will give him an even better chance to get to the highest level, the NFL, if he can have an excellent senior season and show scouts he can play on the outside and dominate.

“This is the biggest (test). It’s one-on-one. You’re on an island. It’s you against the next man and you see who wants it more,” Figueroa said.

8 years ago '04        #6929
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
QB Harris Vows to Be More Vocal
Aug. 18, 2010

By: Christopher Stock

Jacory Harris.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- It’s not uncommon to see Jacory Harris hanging out with a number of different people on the team.

For example, Harris tends to blend in with a lot of different groups on the team whether it’s his former teammates from Northwestern or a third-stringer on the opposite side of the ball.

“He’s friends with everybody,” wide receiver Tommy Streeter said.

“You can say everybody on the team is my brother,” Harris says.

Harris’ easy-going, fun-loving personality combined with his play on the field—3,352 yards and 24 touchdowns in 2009—has earned him a lot of respect from his teammates.

As he enters his third season, second as a starter, Harris is putting a conscientious effort into becoming more of a vocal leader.

“I’d say my first two years I haven’t been such a vocal leader,” said Harris, who is 10-5 as a starter. “I like to just lead by example, but sometimes you have to break out of your shell and open up your mouth and say something sometimes because you will only get better like that and also everybody around you will only get better so as a leader I feel I’ve gotten a lot better.”

Harris is looking to lead the Hurricanes to their first ACC title since joining the conference in 2004 and into a BCS bowl game for the first time since 2003.

His leadership style suits his personality as he prefers to console with his teammates, as opposed to talking over them or berating them after a mistake.

“I would never bring a player down, I always like to encourage,” Harris said. “It’s nothing to the point when I’m hurting someone’s feelings. It’s always positive, I’m not a negative person.”

His play on the field has led to a number of late-game heroics including wins over Florida State and Wake Forest last season. Many of his teammates credit Harris for his calm demeanor inside the huddle during pressure-packed situations.

“Jacory tries to be funny,” running back Mike James said.

Harris explains why he tends to crack jokes to keep things light in the huddle.

“I just tell jokes, that’s how I stay calm,” Harris said. “Deep down something might be going on, I might be scared, who knows, but they will never see it on the outside. Because on the outside they will always see a smile on my face because I don’t want them to have a different feeling, I want them to have a secure feeling.”

Harris is part of a junior class that has been highly-touted since they arrived in Coral Gables in 2008 as the number-one ranked recruiting class. The ’08 class, which signed seven of Harris’ high school teammates, was deemed by many as the savior class, as the class that was expected to bring the Hurricanes back to national prominence. After two years, the class has showed signs of greatness, but their youth has always been pointed as an aspect that has held them back from consistently winning games.

“Two years ago, our best players on our football team was our young guys, everybody knows that,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “Who was they looking up to? They had no one to look up to. Now, we got some older guys that some younger guys are able to look up to and I think that will make a difference on the team.”

With Harris maturing as a leader and his teammates gaining experience, the coaching staff is hoping that the team will avoid a late-season collapse as the team is 5-9 in November/December games under Shannon.

“I do think that us being more mature will help us go through those (tough times) without losing our focus, losing what the main goal is,” Harris said. “We are taking it one game at a time and that’s going to be our mentality throughout the whole season. If anybody is getting ahead of themselves, we will kind of nip it in the bud at the beginning.”

The offense returns a number of key skill players including Harris, RBs Damien Berry, Graig Cooper, Mike James, and Lamar Miller, as well as WRs Leonard Hankerson, Travis Benjamin, Aldarius Johnson, and LaRon Byrd.

But if the offensive line, which will feature a new starter at every position, does not hold up, the offense will sputter regardless of the talent at the skill spots.

“You don’t know for certain how (the offensive linemen’s) season is going to work out, but all I can say is that they are a hardworking group of guys,” Harris said. “I love those guys, I call them my fat boys. I’m sure they love me the same way. It’s a pleasure being on the same field with them. All of them can move guys out of the way. They are a just a tremendous, funny group of guys.”

The Hurricanes begin the 2010 season on September 2 against Florida A&M.

“With us bonding as a team, I think that will be a key for us this season,” Harris said.

Having Harris leading the way is an even bigger key.

8 years ago '05        #6930
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,115 | Props total: 730 730
scrimmage notes from poster on scout

SERIOUS DOMINATION! Andrew Smith just had his third, yes, third sack. And he's closing in on 10 tackles, leading the team.

Andrew Smith is dominating tonight. He has 3 sacks, a forced fumble the most tackles on the defense. Great to see him step up!

Defense dominated last 40 minutes of scrimmage.

Damien Berry just did a great job running in a short TD.

But that's about all the defense has given up the last 20 minutes.

The D is stepping up its game!

Mike James catches a short TD pass from Jacory Harris. Score was setup by long Lamar Miller run.

After a blocked punt by freshman Shayon Green, Travis Benjamin nearly takes a return to the house.

92 yard TOUCHDOWN run by Storm Johnson. How do you keep this guy off the field?

shannon after the game

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Deeangoe; 08-19-2010 at 12:34 AM..

8 years ago '05        #6931
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
Aug. 18, 2010

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Freshman running back Storm Johnson stole the show on offense rushing for 132 yards on 12 carries with touchdowns and junior defensive end Andrew Smith disrupted the offense with 10 tackles and three sacks as the University of Miami football team completed its second closed scrimmage of fall camp Wednesday night at Traz Powell Stadium.

Miami again worked through roughly a 100-play scrimmage, which for second time this camp featured live special teams for the first half of the scrimmage. The first seven possessions started from inside the 10-yard line before the `Canes started series at their own 45-yard line, the visiting team 45-yard line, and a few red-zone possessions before ending in the two-minute drills.

In another very evenly matched scrimmage, the offense managed seven touchdowns and senior placekicker Matt Bosher connected on a 30-yard field goal. The defense kept the offense out of the end zone 13 times, picking off two passes while the rest of the time forcing turnovers on downs and punts.

Junior quarterback Jacory Harris looked sharp again as he completed 8-for-12 for 102 yards and two touchdowns. His only mistake was in the two-minute drill at the end of the scrimmage when senior linebacker Colin McCarthy picked him off and returned it 31 yards.

Smith seemed as if he was already in season-form. On the third possession of the scrimmage, he recorded three consecutive tackles. He finished with a team-best three sacks and interrupted several plays in the backfield. While Smith was dominating on the defensive side of the ball, Johnson had his way on the ground offensively. His long touchdown run set the tone for his night.

A Storm Might Be Brewing in Coral Gables
One true freshman who has been turning heads since arriving on campus is running back Storm Johnson. The Loganville, Ga. native, who prepped at Loganville High School and enrolled at Miami this past January in time for spring practice, has been trying to make people forget about the freshman tag. Johnson, who had a solid showing in the spring, has really turned it on in fall camp. His first carry from scrimmage Wednesday night saw him brake multiple tackles and out-run a very speedy secondary for a 92-yard touchdown run. He scored again from 1-yard out later in the scrimmage and finished with 132 yards on 12 carries.
Running back is one of Miami's deepest positions. With senior Damien Berry, sophomore Mike James, redshirt freshman Lamar Miller, senior Graig Cooper and other true freshmen Eduardo Clements and Darion Hall competing, the `Canes look to be stacked for breakout performances. Wednesday night's scrimmage just happened to involve a Storm.

Game Time Feel
With 15 days to go until the kickoff of the 2010 season against Florida A&M on Sept. 2, Miami is getting into the flow of things. The players were decked out in their actual game uniforms with the offense sporting all orange uniforms and the defense in white away jerseys with green pants. The only thing missing was that iconic "U" striped helmets. Players are in solid white helmets until helmets are striped with the "U" a couple of days before the first game.

Miami went through its usual pre-game routine which involved players coming out for early passing drills, special teams work, team stretching exercises and a few plays of offensive versus defense before the scrimmage got underway. A crew of officials was also on hand to control the action.

Up Next
Miami will take Thursday off before returning to the practice field Friday morning at 8 a.m. UM's last two-a-day of camp will be Saturday.

Other Scrimmage Highlights and Stats
- Redshirt freshman Shayon Green blocked a punt on the second possession.
- Lamar Miller broke loose for a 44-yard run early on. He also had a couple of kickoff returns - one for 20 yards and one for 17 yards.
- Travis Benjamin returned a punt for 33 yards.
- Senior linebacker Colin McCarthy intercepted a pass to end the first two-minute drive attempt by the offense. Junior linebacker Ramon Buchanan followed McCarthy's lead intercepting a tipped ball to end the second two-minute drill attempt.
- Scoring plays:
Mike James 20-yard TD catch from Jacory Harris
Storm Johnson 92-yard TD run
Matt Bosher 30-yard field goal
Damien Berry 1 yard TD run
Kendal Thompkins 28-yard TD catch from Spencer Whipple
Eduardo Clements 3-yard TD run
Travis Benjamin 25-yard TD catch from Jacory Harris
Storm Johnson 1-yard TD run

Passing
Jacory Harris - 8-for-12, 102 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
Spencer Whipple - 7-for-8, 96 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Stephen Morris - 5-for-11, 80 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
Alonzo Highsmith - 0-for-6

Rushing
Storm Johnson - 12 carries, 132 yards, 2 TD
Lamar Miller - 10 carries, 90 yards
Damien Berry - 6 carries, 19 yards, 1 TD
Eduardo Clements - 14 carries, 16 yards, 1 TD
Mike James - 8 carries, 14 yards

Receiving
(players with multiple catches)
Kendal Thompkins - 4 receptions, 75 yards, 1 TD
Travis Benjamin - 2 receptions, 47 yards, 1 TD
Asante Cleveland - 2 receptions, 31 yards
Ben Bruneau - 2 receptions, 26 yards
Mike James - 2 receptions, 20 yards, 1 TD

Defense
Andrew Smith - 10 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 quarterback hurries
Olivier Vernon - 4 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble
James Gaines - 7 tackles (2 on special teams)
Ramon Buchanan - 4 tackles, 1 interception
Allen Bailey - 3 tackles, 1 punt block
Luther Robinson - 3 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss
Colin McCarthy - 2 tackles, 1 interception returned for 31 yards
Marcus Robinson - 2 tackles, 2 quarterback hurries, 1 tackle for a loss
Micanor Regis - 5 tackles
Jamal Reid - 4 tackles
Travis Williams - 4 tackles
Kylan Robinson - 3 tackles

To order tickets for the 2010 season, call 1-800-GO-CANES or visit .

8 years ago '07        #6932
Kinglew88 14 heat pts14
space
space

Its gonna be a good season

Storm better get carries, hes more than earned them

Put mike back at fb

8 years ago '04        #6933
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$18,704 | Props total: 6877 6877
Im usually not the one who like's to compare new players to old ones...but damn Storm Johnson gives me flashes of McGahee.

8 years ago '04        #6934
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/20
Aug. 20, 2010

By: David Lake

DT Luther Robinson
CORAL GABLES, Fla -- The University of Miami returned to practice Friday morning at 7 a.m. after having the day off yesterday.

It was the first practice Miami held coming off Wednesday night’s scrimmage.

After watching the game film of the scrimmage, Miami coach Randy Shannon was pleased by the strong play by both the offense and defense during the scrimmage.

“If one team is dominating, then you say we have a long ways to go,” Shannon said. “If it balances out each time, then you are good.”

On offense, Shannon liked seeing freshman running back Storm Johnson have a big day as well as wide receiver Travis Benjamin. Johnson finished the scrimmage with 12 carries for 132 yards and two touchdowns.

“It wasn’t the Damien Berry show, it wasn’t the Mike James show. Storm Johnson had a good game and Travis Benjamin had a good game. Different guys showed up, which shows when you have playmakers on offense you can do a lot of different things.”

Defensively, Shannon was encouraged by the play of the defensive line. Junior defensive end Andrew Smith finished with ten tackles, three sacks, and two quarterback hurries.

“Micanor Regis had some big plays and Marcus did,” Shannon said. “Andrew Smith made some big plays and all of them did well. The more those guys continue to grow and different guys step up in different games, we will be ok.”

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“We are coming back the first day from a day off, we went out and went back to day one. We did some inside run stuff and team stuff and some pass situation things just to get back into it. Tomorrow we will get back into it with two-a-days and grind a little bit harder then come back the next day for a walkthrough and then our final scrimmage. We just cleaned up a lot of things from the other day’s scrimmage, which is really good.”

NEWS & NOTES

• DE Andrew Smith is impressing Shannon with his pass rush this fall camp. “He has matured a lot,” Shannon said. “He did a lot of things in the offseason, especially in the summer time with coach Swasey getting into the weight room and improving his ,conditioning and that is what he knows he needs to get done. He is improving every time. He is doing a great job in pass rush, an unbelievable job in pass rush.”

• Shannon was encouraged by the reduction in mental errors from the first scrimmage to the second scrimmage. “There was no caused fumbles, which is good,” Shannon said. “We had two interceptions, but other than that it was a clean game by the quarterbacks. The defense caused two turnovers and we had some three-and-outs and some sustained drives by the offense.”

• Wide receiver LaRon Byrd was at practice and worked on the side while the team practiced. Byrd is reported to have sustained a bone bruise on his left knee. He was seen wearing a compression brace on his left knee. “It was more strength and conditioning for him right now,” Shannon said. “He will probably be back next week on maybe Monday or Tuesday.”

• Senior Colin McCarthy was taking reps at middle linebacker this morning in the base defense. That move pushed Kylan Robinson to the second team and moved Ramon Buchanan to the first team at outside linebacker. McCarthy had been taking reps at middle linebacker in the nickel package all fall camp.

• Redshirt freshman safety Jamal Reid was playing with the first team Friday as well.

• The position battle at safety has been tight this fall camp with young players like Ray Ray Armstrong, Vaughn Telemaque, and Jamal Reid competing for playing time with veterans like JoJo Nicolas and Jared Campbell. “Those young guys are really pushing those seniors right now, so it is great for us because if the seniors win than we are ok, if the seniors lose we are still ok.”

• Shannon on how quarterback Jacory Harris is looking this fall camp: “He has been fine,” Shannon said. “He has been getting his reads down and if the throw is not there, he throws it away or he takes the run and gets down on the ground for a five yard gain. He is doing a good job recognizing things.”

• Redshirt freshman DT Luther Robinson has made improvements since the spring. “If you watch him from spring football to what he is doing now, it is a big difference,” Shannon said. “He is coming off the ball and making some plays, but he is still a little immature as far as what we need him to get done on a consistency basis.”

• CBs Ryan Hill and Brandon McGee and LB Tyrone Cornileus were wearing green jersey’s and were held out of contact for the practice.

8 years ago '04        #6935
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
DE Smith Improving His Pass Rush
Aug. 20, 2010

Andrew Smith
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- After a dominating performance during Wednesday night’s scrimmage, junior defensive end Andrew Smith appears poised for a breakout 2010 season.

Smith dominated the line of scrimmage, totaling 10 tackles, three sacks, and two quarterback hurries on the night.

Miami coach Randy Shannon says Smith’s performance on Wednesday night is the product of the hard work he has put in this offseason.

“He has matured a lot,” Shannon said. “He did a lot of things in the offseason, especially in the summer time with coach Swasey getting into the weight room and improving his ,conditioning and that is what he knows he needs to get done. He is improving every time.”

The biggest area Smith has improved this offseason? His pass rush.

“He is doing a great job in pass rush, an unbelievable job in pass rush,” Shannon said.

Because Smith isn’t the biggest defensive end (6-3, 245) he knows the best way for him to make an impact is by utilizing his speed and quickness.

“My pass rush and getting off the ball with my speed,” Smith said. “That is mostly what I have been working on. I have been working hard and that is pretty much what it is. I try and keep it going every day and try to continue it this season.”

Last year, Smith started seven games for the Hurricanes and totaled 15 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss. Smith did not record a sack all of last year and that has been a big motivation for him going into the 2010 season.

“It was surprising and disappointing that I didn’t get a sack, but I just have to keep working and it will pay off in the end,” Smith said. “It has motivated me a lot. Each year you have to improve to get better. You can’t stay the same and I have just been trying to work on the little stuff to get better.”

Smith recorded the only sack of his UM career in 2008 against Division IAA opponent Charleston Southern.

“I feel like from my freshman year to now, I have improved a lot,” Smith said. “Coach Petri has helped me with a lot of techniques. I‘ve just tried to adjust to his coaching and go from there. Coach Lovett puts me in position to make plays, so I just try to execute.”

Last year, Miami ranked 74th in the country in sacks with 23 total for the season. Smith says new defensive line coach Rick Petri has improved the technique and attention to detail of the entire defensive line and the product of his coaching will be seen this year.

“If we keep working on the little stuff, then you guys are going to see it on the field this season,” Smith said.

Smith talked about how the improved play of the offensive line has helped the defensive line get better during fall camp.

“We get each other better,” Smith said. “They get different looks from the defensive line because we have strength and speed. We get different looks from the offensive line, so it is going to benefit us this season.”

8 years ago '07        #6936
Kinglew88 14 heat pts14
space
space
So Byrd isnt that bad

:dancingcool:

8 years ago '05        #6937
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 L-E-Dub b**ch said
So Byrd isnt that bad

:dancingcool:
yup mri came out negative...good thing my boys not an actual doctor

8 years ago '05        #6938
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
damn didn't think I would be excited to see what Storm would do out there this year but after this I can't wait to see him out there. We got so much talent out there at RB hopefully it won't hold anyone back from shining

8 years ago '07        #6939
Kinglew88 14 heat pts14
space
space
Sadly I think lamar and storm will get the bulk of the carries leaving damien berry in the dark again.

They stay shining and shannon said the best will see the field.

8 years ago '05        #6940
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
 L-E-Dub b**ch said
Sadly I think lamar and storm will get the bulk of the carries leaving damien berry in the dark again.

They stay shining and shannon said the best will see the field.
long as berry gets better picking up the blitzes hell get his carries

shannon said hes far better than last yr but still behind cooper

8 years ago '07        #6941
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
IMO, Storm looks like the next great one, but Damien Berry showed alot to me last year. A full year of work and he could have some big numbers. Damien got that grind it out style with the ability to get that long run once in a while

Storm can wait his turn

8 years ago '04        #6942
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$13,231 | Props total: 4271 4271
hopefully mccarthy is playing middle linebacker permanently

8 years ago '05        #6943
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space

[pic - click to view]

new jersey

travis williams in the pic

8 years ago '04        #6944
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 Deeangoe said

[pic - click to view]

new jersey

travis williams in the pic
same jersey new cleats. which im a fan of black socks/cleats

8 years ago '07        #6945
Kinglew88 14 heat pts14
space
space
we need black jerseys

but that jersey alright...numbers look weird

8 years ago '05        #6946
Junior G 117 heat pts117
space
space
$54,656 | Props total: 8003 8003
Berry is your best back PERIOD alot because he is proven.....I don't get how the coaches don't see it....he did his thing last year. while Miller and Storm haven't taken a real game snap yet....could be practice warriors for all you know....and I know because FSU had enough of em

8 years ago '04        #6947
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 MARTIAN MAR said
Berry is your best back PERIOD alot because he is proven.....I don't get how the coaches don't see it....he did his thing last year. while Miller and Storm haven't taken a real game snap yet....could be practice warriors for all you know....and I know because FSU had enough of em
Im sure he knows, Shannon has a special way of playing down players,(Berry and Hankerson immediately come to mind) and delivering diversion statements with others (Kylan Robinson, Glen Cook, Romeo Davis)

Im sure Berry will be the starter. He's earned it.

8 years ago '04        #6948
madness 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$13,231 | Props total: 4271 4271
damien's been gettin sized since last year, he was clearly better than slowpoke james and dancing with the stars cooper but he didnt start getting carries until the 6th game....shannon will prolly let storm and miller k!ll teams early then let damien get goalline carries and late in the game when the defense is gassed

8 years ago '04        #6949
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
Practice Report: 8/21
Aug. 21, 2010

Chase Ford
CORAL GABLES, Fla. --- Miami completed their 17th practice of fall camp Saturday morning as the team practice for about one hour and 45 minutes.

Miami will hold their final two-a-day of fall camp today with the Hurricanes returning to the field at 3:15 for the afternoon session.

Read on for more notes to come out of today’s practice.

RANDY SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

“It was the first part of our last two-a-days today. We worked hard and worked on the run game emphasis. We bared down and got physical this morning. This afternoon we will do more of a pass emphasis--third down situation and pass rush situation and things like that.”

NEWS & NOTES

• TE Chase Ford continues to impress Shannon with his consistency during this fall camp. “He has been doing really well,” Shannon said. “Chase has learned the offense and we are excited about it. I don’t think he has had a bad day out here beside the first week and that is just from him learning and getting the tempo down. Otherwise, he has been very competitive and getting better with his blocking, which is tremendous for us. We like what he is doing.”

• Shannon says a pass catching threat at tight end can really open up an offense, which is a big reason why he is excited about Ford’s development this fall. “If you got your two receivers and have a guy inside, then now you can thread the field and that is the most important thing that you have to have as an offense,” Shannon said. “You have your running game, but you have three threats. If you look at the Dallas Cowboys and all the great offensive teams, they have always had a tight end. I think that is key and vital to any offense.”

• Having a tight end that is a threat in the passing game puts a lot of stress on a defense. “You can’t take out everybody,” Shannon said. “If people want to take out your receivers, you got your tight ends that you can throw to. If they want to take out your tight ends, then you have your receivers. It just gives you options and that is something as a defensive coach that you have to be worried about.”

• The running back unit has done a good job in pass protection this fall, Shannon says. “Good, pretty good,” Shannon said. “We have blitz drill every day and in the scrimmages we have a lot of blitzes, so the more that they can work and you run different blitzes, the more they can pick up and the better we can be.”

• Shannon on when RB Graig Cooper might be able to participate in a practice in full pads. “It depends on the body,” Shannon said. “Injuries depend on the body. Like last year, Eric Moncur wasn’t supposed to play and two days later he was feeling good, so I can’t really give an a.ssessment on who can play when. It really depends on the body.”

• WR Kendal Thompkins has been more consistent this fall, Shannon says. Thompkins will see his role expand this fall as UM’s primary slot receiver. “Yeah he is a lot better than last year,” Shannon said. “Like any kid, they come in freshman and redshirt and the next year is their third year and they get more mature and see things differently and the offense is the same, so it is a lot of great things that is going on.”

• Shannon on the many demands a wide receiver must adjust to when making the jump from high school to college. “It is all different when you come out of high school,” Shannon said. “They are great athletes, but they are mostly just running nine-balls. Now you have to run specific routes: the crossing route, the six route, the two route, the three, the five, the seven. Then you have to understand when it is cover two, block the corner. When it is quarters, block the safety and cover three block the safety and when it is blitz run the guy off. There is a lot of stuff you got to learn at receiver.

• CB Lee Chambers is working hard to made a smooth transition from running back. Chambers switched positions on Monday. “He is a competitor and the things he is doing is competing,” Shannon said. “He doesn’t know all the coverages and stuff like that, but he is playing well and really doing well for his progress and only being there for three or four days. It just has to be a process that he has to go through with things. We don’t expect him to come out and we say ok Lee you know this whole defense and technique and those things. He is not anywhere near that. Give him until the fifth game of the season or something like that and he will be where he needs to be.”

• S JoJo Nicolas was held out of practice. Shannon says Nicolas is "nicked."

8 years ago '05        #6950
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
Miami transfer wide out Thearon Collier arrived at USC Saturday. Sources expect Collier to be cleared by USC admissions this weekend.
20 minutes ago via UberTwitter
Retweeted by 5 people
Reply Retweet

insidetroy
Am I late on this? I was confused if Shannon was making him sit out this year and come back next or if he was just done here but looks like he's going to USC. Either way best of luck to Collier, wish we got to keep him but I hope it works out for him there.

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is Chamillionaire low key the most financially savy rapper ever?
62 comments
1 hour ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LiAngelo Ball has s3x tape with a tr@nny. #BBB #BallControl
158 comments
12 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NFL Rae Carruth has been released from prison after 17 years
31 comments
1 hour ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside WELL DAMN...40 GLOCC Starts A GoFundMe For THE GAME So Their House Do..
28 comments
1 hour ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Iím a young king I might fu-k Alexis Texas/but Iím not on no drake sh-t..
12 comments
1 hour ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Here is our very first look at BANE in GOTHAM Season 5
26 comments
1 hour ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Lawd have mercy jazmynekyng uproarchallenge
50 comments
12 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Eagles beat writer tweets racist caricature of Eric Reid during game
126 comments
16 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Cp3 got beat up on national tv by ingram and rondo,got spit in his face, a..
30 comments
1 hour ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 OutKast was never really accepted in the Hip Hop community
30 comments
38 minutes ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA 2019 NBA draft prospect Darius Bazely signs $14M shoe deal with New Balance
17 comments
1 hour ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL Chiefs or Rams? Whats the best team in football RN?
30 comments
1 hour ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nippy Minaj ( Nicki Minaj's N1pples)
52 comments
12 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Google keyboard float option
20 comments
12 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 unpopular opinion 2: mortal kombat was a better series than street fighter!!
13 comments
1 hour ago
@games
most viewed right now
Slow💨💨💨 Slow Strokes
18 comments
15 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 audio inside Lil Wayne - Zero
6 comments
28 minutes ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cuban doll gets dropped by her label 4 sending a hit on female rapper!..
93 comments
18 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Got damn Arsenal straight destroyed this d1ke in a battle!!
49 comments
13 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NBA NUGGETS VS WARRIORS HALFTIME SHOW starts off REALLY REALLY WEIRD at PEPSI ..
5 comments
18 minutes ago
@sports
Top 10 most propped recently
Last few hours...
2Cold
StillNigga
Cowboywiz
TheLuminousOne
Scorpz
Lord God
Bidam7
Flippa Huxtable
sho 2010
ohhohh
Top 10 most slapped recently
blah blah blah
HiShinUnit
North Face
Binary
suavehooper
a1posting
Fras
o7media
QB Eagles

most viewed right now
online now  48
Image(s) inside Sticking My Finger In Her A** Like It’s Rondo’s Face
63 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  45
Whatís The Worst Lie A Woman Has Ever Told You?
162 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  43
Image(s) inside LA Legend Nipsey Hussle ALMOST JUMP INTO THE LAKERS MALEE BRAWL FIGHT ..
119 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  33
Video inside after 20 years tchina arnold talks about the drama on martin
97 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside Did YouTube go down last week to erase a livestream of an object hittin..
63 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  14
Oct 20 - This is Like a Ad for the Border Wall
101 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  13
Image(s) inside Ayisha Diaz now has onlyfans page