Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick Spanish Milf Adult Film Star(You Saving Her?)
51 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Everything You Thought You Knew About #Dinosaurs is Wrong
15 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5521
booie4 
space
space
$4,879 | Props total: 605 605
Booker T. Washington High School RB Eduardo Clements says he's talking regularly with Cane coaches Wesley McGriff and has also spoken with Randy Shannon.

"I talk two or three times a week with coach McGriff," Clements said. "He's a great coach, is very down to earth.

"Coach Shannon, I talk to him occasionally. He says I'm a big guy on their board as a running back and if he can get me and another running back for 2010 it'd be a great addition to the team."

For now Clements says he has Georgia as his top school.

"No. 2 is Miami and then Florida State," he says.

Why is Georgia at the top?

"Just their whole recruiting process and their offensive scheme and their running backs they have in the NFL," Clements says. "Miami's not far behind. Every team right now is neck and neck."

Of what he likes about UM, Clements says, "Guys that attended my high school go there, they tell me about how the school has great brothership and all the team is together. And the atmosphere of the games I went to were great. And the fans and the coaching staff are great."

Clements says he's in regular contact with former teammates and current Canes Brandon Harris and Davon Johnson.

"I call them my brothers," Clements said. "They keep my whole mindset and whole workout ethic better. When I was at Booker T. with them I used to work out with them.

"They will help me with my decision, and they told me to go to every visit and treat every school the same, to do what's best for me. They tell me how the team is and how the coaching staff is at Miami."

Clements lists 22 scholarship offers.

"It'll be a tough decision for me," he said. "I just have to make the best decision for me. I won't make that decision until Signing Day. That gives a lot of schools that haven't offered me a lot of time so I can decide what's best for me."

Clements has several other high profile teammates. Might they wind up at the same school together?

"As of right now all of us are thinking we have to do what's best for us, and two or three of us might go to the same school because that's how we feel about the program and we're doing what's best for us," he said.

Of what's most important to him in a college, Clements said, "Just education-wise and a good coach's bond with me. I want a coach that has a good bond with me that will keep my head right."
 8 years ago '04        #5522
booie4 
space
space
This is strength coach Andreu Swasey's time of year.

Once spring practice ends, the ball is in his court as far as making the Canes faster, stronger and more explosive. And that's what he's busy doing. To get a handle on what he's working with, Swasey recently held post-spring ball testing. And the results show this team has plenty of speed.

The results (note that among those that did not test for undisclosed reasons – Darryl Sharpton, Demarcus Van Dyke, Travis Benjamin, Dedrick Epps, Joel Figueroa and Richard Gordon):

40-YARD DASH

1 Sam Shields 4.20

2 Brandon McGee 4.23

3 Graig Cooper, 4.37

4T Tommy Streeter 4.40

4T Ryan Hill 4.40

6 Javarris James 4.41

7T Damien Berry 4.43 (he also ran 4.54 time)

7T Kendal Thompkins 4.43

7T LaRon Byrd 4.43

10T Ramon Buchanan 4.48

10T Leonard Hankerson 4.48

10T CJ Holton 4.48

10T Randy Phillips 4.48

Other notable times:

Joseph Nicolas 4.49

Chavez Grant 4.51

Mike James 4.52

Sean Spence 4.55

Thearon Collier, 4.58

Arthur Brown 4.64

Allen Bailey 4.65

Aldarius Johnson 4.67

Olivier Vernon 4.75

Adewale Ojomo 4.81

Marcus Forston 4.84

SHORT SHUTTLE

1 LaRon Byrd 3.98

2 Kendal Thompkins 4.04

3 Leonard Hankerson 4.06

4T Jared Campbell 4.07

4T Ryan Hill 4.07

4T Sam Shields 4.07

7T Ramon Buchanan 4.09

7T Brandon McGee 4.09

9 Sean Spence 4.10

10 Tervaris Johnson 4.11

Other notable times:

Chavez Grant 4.12

Aldarius Johnson 4.12

Joseph Nicolas 4.16

Marcus Robinson 4.17

Graig Cooper 4.18

Javarris James 4.19

Davon Johnson 4.20

Mike James 4.24

Olivier Vernon 4.28

Arthur Brown 4.31

VERTICAL

1T Randy Phillips 39.5 inches

1T Marcus Robinson 39.5

3T Allen Bailey 39

3T Ramon Buchanan 39

3T Graig Cooper 39

6T Daniel Adderley 38.5

6T Joseph Nicolas 38.5

8T Chavez Grant 37.5

8T Sam Shields 37.5

10T Leonard Hankerson 37

10T Colin McCarthy 37

Other notable results:

Damien Berry 36.5

LaRon Byrd 36.5

Javarris James 36

Tervaris Johnson 36

Adewale Ojomo 36

Mike James 35.5

Olivier Vernon 32

* TE Jimmy Graham's test results: The basketball player who appears as though he will be on the football field this fall ran a 4.63 40 time, had a 4.23 short shuttle and jumped 37 inches.

The team also did strength testing pre-spring. Here are those results:

BENCH PRESS

1 Harland Gunn 425

2 Allen Bailey 405

3T Marcus Foston 395

3T Joe Joseph 395

5T Eric Moncur 390

5T Micanor Regis 390

7T Orlando Franklin 375

7T Patrick Hill 375

9 AJ Trump 370

10 Mike James 350

Other notable results:

Damien Berry 345

John Calhoun 335

Arthur Brown 330

Randy Phillips 330

Dedrick Epps 315

Javarris James 315

Kylan Robinson 310

Ramon Buchanan 300

CJ Holton 300

Jared Campbell 295

Ryan Hill 295

Leonard Hankerson 295

Joseph Nicolas 285

SQUAT

1 Harland Gunn 600

2 Allen Bailey 565

3 Javarris James 545

4T Richard Gordon 535

4T Darryl Sharpton 535

6 Jeremy Lewis 515

7 Patrick Hill 505

8 AJ Trump 485

9 Joe Joseph 480

10 Kylan Robinson 465

Other notable results:

Damien Berry 455

Jason Fox 455

Adewale Ojomo 445

Steven Wesley 440

Arthur Brown 435

Graig Cooper 435

Sean Goldstein (walkon) 435

Mike James 435

Jared Campbell 425

Sean Spence 425

Chavez Grant 415

Joseph Nicolas 415

Ryan Hill 415

Ramon Buchanan 400

POWER CLEAN

1Allen Bailey 375

2 Eric Moncur 340

3T Harland Gunn 330

3T Micanor Regis 330

5 Ramon Buchanan 318

6T Jason Fox 308

6T CJ Holton 308

6T Randy Phillips 308

6T Matt Pipho 308

6T Javarris James 308

6T Olivier Vernon 308

6T Steven Wesley 308

Other notable results:

Damien Berry 301

Darryl Sharpton 301

John Calhoun 286

Richard Gordon 286

Leonard Hankerson 286

Ryan Hill 286

Joseph Nicolas 286

Mike James 279

Taylor Cook 274

Kylan Robinson 274

Sam Shields 274

Sean Spence 274

Jordan Futch 264

Patrick Hill 264

Swasey broke down the positions and what he sees at this early juncture:

QUARTERBACKS

Swasey says Jacory Harris' weight has increased substantially. He came in at 168 pounds and now he is 186 pounds.

Is that a good weight for Harris?

"Do we want him to continue to gain weight? That's an understatement," Swasey says. "We want to put muscle mass on right at the same time."

Harris also benched 225 pounds, power cleaned 230 pounds and squatted 325 pounds. He ran a 4.7 time in the 40 and had a 4.29-second short shuttle time. His vertical of 35.5 inches set a new record all-time for Cane quarterbacks. It broke Kenny Kelly's record of 35 inches set in 1999.

Taylor Cook's strength numbers were also impressive.

He had a 385 pound squat, a 274 power clean and a 4.65 time in the 40 and a 4.4 time in the short shuttle

His power clean was an all-time school record for quarterbacks.

Cannon Smith didn't run the 40 but had a 4.47 short shuttle time. He benched 215 pounds, cleaned 230 pounds and his squat was 340 pounds.

RUNNING BACKS

Freshman tailback Mike James has impressed Swasey.

"I've been very impressed with his numbers," Swasey said. "He's coming in with a great base at a 435 squat, 280 clean, 350 bench. And a 35.5 vertical. He's weighing 217. He's a good size for a young freshman coming in."

Of Graig Cooper and Javarris James, Swasey says, "I'm very excited about both of them increasing speed and Cooper being at a good weight. He's up from 190 to 200 pounds now. He's become more explosive and they're getting faster."

WIDE RECEIVERS

Of all the players on the team, perhaps LaRon Byrd made the biggest jump up from a year ago.

"He's a blue collar worker," Swasey said. "He came in and made the biggest jump I have seen in the 5-10-5 (aka the short shuttle) because he has an unbelievable work ethic.

Byrd's short shuttle went from a 4.17 last year to 3.98 this year, best on the team. He weighed in at 203 pounds last year and is now up to 214 pounds.

Strength-wise his squat went from 250 pounds last year to 320, his bench went from 225 to 260 and his power clean improved from 132 pounds to 230.

He verticalled 35 inches last year; now he's at 36.5 inches.

"He has to continue to get stronger," Swasey says.

Swasey also points to Tommy Streeter as a receiver he's particularly impressed with.

"He ran a 4.40 from 4.55 last year, so I'm excited about that," Swasey said.

TIGHT ENDS

Richard Gordon is usually a weight room freak, but he didn't test post-spring.

A player Swasey says impressed in post-spring testing is tight end Jimmy Graham, who is taking up football after playing basketball at UM.

"He has a great frame, great size," Swasey said. "He just got in here and you can see with his numbers he has great physical skills."

OFFENSIVE LINE

Swasey spoke about newcomers Jermaine Johnson and Brandon Washington.

Both were tested the day they arrived on campus in January, and both have already shown significant improvement in the weight room.

Johnson has gone from a 275 squat to 305; from a 315 bench to 355 and from a 152 power clean to 196. Washington has remained at a 400 bench and has improved his squat from 315 to 365 and his power clean fro 176 to 242.

"Brandon weighed 351 pounds when he arrived; now he's at 335," Swasey says. "Johnson was 302 when he arrived and he's still 302 pounds."

A returning player that has Swasey expecially excited?

"I'm really excited about Orlando (Franklin)," Swasey said. "Last year he was at 345 pounds; now he's at 328. He feels more comfortable at that weight. And Jason Fox gained weight - he's at 310; last year he was around 295 pounds."

DEFENSIVE LINE

Allen Bailey is currently tipping the scales at 290 pounds, Swasey says.

And he spoke about newcomer Curtis Porter, who has made big strides.

"Coming in Porter weighed 337 pounds - now he has dropped to 314 pounds," Swasey said. "Porter squatted 365 and benched 315 when he came in and cleaned196; now he's a 274 power clean, 335 bench, 405 squat."

LINEBACKERS

Sean Spence has put on a lot of weight since arriving at Miami as a 193-pounder. Swasey says he currently weighs 214 pounds.

Swasey also says Colin McCarthy is back in the weight room off a shoulder injury.

How long before he's back at 100 percent strength?

"Right now we're just trying to keep him healthy," Swasey says. "I'm not worried about his maximum strength numbers at this point. What we're doing is making him more functional and injury-free."

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Brandon McGee matched Travis Benjamin as the fastest freshmen Swasey says he's seen in his time at UM.

"Both of them have track backgrounds, came in running 10.3 in the 100," Swasey says.

Swasey says of this position that "Coach (Randy) Shannon has created more depth at DB by putting Sam Shields at corner and making them faster and more versatile as a group, and taking Ryan Hill and moving him to DB also. That has helped with depth across the board, and that's the whole philosophy. We're trying to create depth in all facets of the program."

* Swasey's overall thoughts on this team's progress in the weight room?

"I'm overly pleased with the development," he says. "They have a commitment to work together, pay attention to details. I'm excited about the progress. It's a four-year plan (for each player). We had freshmen last year, and to see the progress and them developing is the goal."
 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM         #5523
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Brandon McGee going to be a stud
 8 years ago '04        #5524
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
@cooper runnin a 4.3.....that n*gga stays gettin caught from behind

streeter runnin a 4.4? a big, speedy 6'5 redzone target....dont sleep

allen bailey 290 lbs and runnin a 4.6?:wow:

and good to see the linebackers gettin faster, hitstick holton and cookie will be blowin plays up in the backfield
 04-23-2009, 08:30 PM         #5525
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 madness said:
@cooper runnin a 4.3.....that n*gga stays gettin caught from behind

streeter runnin a 4.4? a big, speedy 6'5 redzone target....dont sleep

allen bailey 290 lbs and runnin a 4.6?:wow:

and good to see the linebackers gettin faster, hitstick holton and cookie will be blowin plays up in the backfield
Bailey going to be a nasty 3-4 OLB in the League..

that s**t will be scary.
 8 years ago '04        #5526
booie4 
space
space
naw Bailey way to big for that role, maybe Marcus Robinson, Bailey's a classic end in a 3-4 defense
 8 years ago '04        #5527
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
them 40 times look a lil off
 8 years ago '04        #5528
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Shannon Discusses New Coordinators
Apr. 24, 2009

By: David Lake

Randy Shannon
Arguably the biggest challenge for the University of Miami during the month of spring football was adjusting to new offensive and defensive coordinators and the schemes that they brought with them.

Newly hired offensive coordinator Mark Whipple and defensive coordinator John Lovett were both hired after mid-January and only had a few weeks to implement their scheme.

“Offensively and defensively we have come a long ways since the first day of spring compared to where we are now,” coach Randy Shannon said.

The transition of learning a new scheme would be tougher for an offensive coordinator. Whipple was bringing a new playbook with new terminologies and concepts from the NFL, but according to Miami Head Coach Randy Shannon Whipple and the rest of the offense made a lot of progress this spring.

“He came in this spring and we wanted to decide what we could do offensively and could the players handle what his vision is,” Shannon said of Whipple. “The versatility and the creativity we had with the offense was very productive. A lot of the players responded with what he implemented and they like what he is doing.”

From the standpoint of a new offensive scheme, Shannon says he particularly excited about the creativity of Whipple’s plays and play-calling along with the way he recognizes the strengths of each player and caters the offense to those strong points.

“I think everything coach Whipple brings to the offense helps us out mentally with his NFL experience and being around championship teams and coaching in the Super Bowl…The offense will be different,” Shannon said. “The creativity of what Mark Whipple brings in and the versatility of the way he uses players is going to be unique.”

One reason why Whipple was hired as Miami’s offensive coordinator is because of his reputation of molding young quarterbacks. Whipple coached Ben Roethlisberger when he was a rookie for the Pittsburgh Steelers and was given a lot of credit for molding Roethlisberger when he was a young quarterback.

Following the month of spring football, Shannon says he can see how Whipple’s mentoring will help starting quarterback Jacory Harris develop going into his second season.

“When I looked at it this spring, maybe the first week or two of practices [coach Whipple] was really instrumental in the development of Jacory,” Shannon said. “We were in a controlled situational scrimmage and Jacory went 17-for-18 where he completed passes and got it to the right guy. I think that is what coach Whipple brings, is that he gets Jacory to understand that you are the guy who controls what we do offensively and you can get the ball in the playmakers hands.”

Defensive Coordinator John Lovett

According to Shannon, the transition of learning a new defense wasn’t as intense. Lovett worked with the defense on the basic concepts and understanding of the new scheme.

“It is more subtle [than the offense], but it was similar to coach Whipple,” Shannon said of adjusting to a new defense. “We wanted to see what the players could handle technique and fundamental wise and what we can do as a defense. The players really responded with what he implanted and installed with his coverages, fronts, and blitzes. The players respond to him not only as a person, but also as a friend.”

Lovett brings a lot of experience to Miami having been the defensive coordinator at Clemson, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Shannon believes that his mix of experience and a youthful enthusiasm for coaching has been a good fit for Miami’s young defense.

His biggest strength though may be his ability to communicate to his players what he wants from them on each play that he calls.

“John brings a lot of experience and that goes back to the days when he was at Clemson when we used to play them,” Shannon said. “John is very experienced and knowledgeable, but he also brings a lot of excitement to the job. That is the one thing you look for from coordinators is that if the players respond to your enthusiasm then they are going to play for you. That is one thing I can see in John.”

“What he is doing is he is a guy who understands the weakness and strengths of what we are doing. If we are running a certain blitz, he explains it to the players—what are the strong points and the weaknesses of it—and when the players understand that then they can play fast.”
 8 years ago '04        #5529
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
From Inside the U:

ATHENS, Ga. -- Byrnes (S.C.) star junior Marcus Lattimore is one of the best running backs in the nation.

Lattimore is a big back at 6-foot and 205 pounds with a frame to carry more weight and has good speed. As a junior at one of the top programs in the country, he rushed for over 2,300 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Currently, he has 29 scholarship offers.

“It’s been fun to me,” Lattimore said. “My mom and I just think it’s fun. It’s all just a blessing. All these schools really want you and you can go to any school that you want. They try to sell themselves as much as possible. I just thank all of the schools.”

One of the schools he recently picked up an offer from is the University of Miami, a school that he is interested in.

“The offer came during school,” Lattimore said. “Coach Lovett, the defensive coordinator, wrote me a letter. I think he recruits my area. I called him and they really didn’t know much about me, that’s why they didn’t offer me already. I was like oh okay, I believed him. He sounded like they really need that big back down there. The offensive coordinator has been in the NFL and they run a pro-style offense, which would fit me."

Lattimore says he would like to make a trip down to Miami at some point, possibly this summer or for an official visit in the fall.

“I’m really interested (in Miami),” Lattimore said. “I’m going to try to take a visit sometime at least, maybe an official, I don’t even know yet. I’m definitely going to give them a call. I haven’t talked to the offensive coordinator, but I’m going to give him a call.”

Lattimore’s high interest in Miami has to do with their rich tradition in producing big-time running backs in the NFL such as Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, and Willis McGahee.

“Miami is Miami,” Lattimore said. “All of the great running backs, the tradition they got down there, it’s the U. Everybody throws it up. I love that. It’s an offer that I really like.”

Although he likes Miami, they are still new to the recruiting scene for his services and right now he has a top three of Auburn, Florida State, and Georgia with Auburn leading.

AUBURN: “When I went down there, I had heard so much about them from Lache Seastrunk and he was just telling me how it was. I asked him why he liked them so much and he just said, go see for yourself. So I went up there about two weeks ago and I loved it. Their coach is passionate about everything they do. I had a good visit, the whole visit was great.”

FLORIDA STATE: “Some of my players are down there right now and they love it. I love Tallahassee, the city. It’s a lot of fun down there, especially at night, but I wont get into that. It’s great. Just Jimbo Fisher and I got a real good relationship with Coach Carter, he’s a real good guy.”

GEORGIA: “It’s great down here. It’s just an hour and a half from where I live. They are high on my list, obviously. They are in the SEC. They have a great tradition of running backs here. I love the practice fields, the campus, everything.”
Lattimore was named running backs MVP of the Athens Nike Camp on Saturday, where he starred in the passing game and during 1-on-1 drills.

“It was good. I needed this,” he said after the camp. “I needed to workout today. I learned some new things about pass blocking techniques, which is the main thing colleges look at. If you can pass block, you are going to play on the next level. And also, my footwork. We did some footwork drills and I liked that. I’m going to take that back to my high school.”

While he has received a lot of attention as one of the top 2010 backs in the country, it was good for him to take home the MVP honors as he does face some doubters.

“I know there is a lot of doubt about me, they doubt my speed, they doubt everything about me, but I think I am working hard and trying to get everything set for the next level,” Lattimore said.

Since he has a bigger back, he tries to emulate Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson.

“Adrian Peterson. That’s my man. I try to run like him. He’s the best. If I ever met him, man, that would be crazy,” Lattimore said.

Lattimore says he will make his college destination announcement after the state championship game.
 8 years ago '05        #5530
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,691 | Props total: 3804 3804
Jose Jose's fat a.ss committed to Tennessee. it's a win for Miami, this slob is too f**kin fat.
 8 years ago '04        #5531
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
 Junior G said:
Jose Jose's fat a.ss committed to Tennessee. it's a win for Miami, this slob is too f**kin fat.
agreed...dude will be like 4000 lbs by the time he gets to Tennessee
 8 years ago '04        #5532
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Junior G said:
theyre bringin him in as a DT...kiffen's in for a rude awakening
 8 years ago '06        #5533
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,716 | Props total: 12263 12263
our new commit jeremy davis is fast as shyt

hes the cuzo of phillip buchanon
 8 years ago '04        #5534
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 P. Dedos said:
our new commit jeremy davis is fast as shyt

hes the cuzo of phillip buchanon
he's buchanon's brother:greetings10:

and yeah he's a speed demon
 8 years ago '06        #5535
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
your right sir thank you

by the way we offered tony grimes yesterday outta hollywood hills

dudes a beast
 8 years ago '04        #5536
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Q&A with Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

I had a chance to visit Miami last week and spoke to Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon about the state of his program, how it had fallen from the proverbial mountaintop and what it will take to get back to winning national titles:

Q: What do you see as the biggest reason why the program went into decline the past few years and also saw the end of Miami's record run of first-round draft picks?

Shannon: It's the recruiting aspect of it. You have to make sure you recruit the right type of players that fit what you do offensively and defensively. That's when you'll get back to where you have players drafted like that. Sometimes you can make a mistake by recruiting players just because he is "a name" or he's considered a "top-10" or "top-5" guy. Well, that may look good on those recruiting reports, but when it all comes down to, are you winning, that makes more difference than anything. You have to recruit the right type of players.

Look, I was here for almost everybody. I was recruited by [Howard] Schnellenberger. I played for Jimmy [Johnson]. I coached with Dennis Erickson, so I've seen the transition. I coached with Butch Davis when we got it back going, and then I coached with Larry Coker.

With Butch, we identified players that we felt were great athletes that we could play at different positions. When Edgerrin [James] came in, we tried him at receiver. He finally went to running back. We got Santana Moss. Nobody knew about him, but he fit what we needed because he was a fast guy that had great hands and was explosive and a tough kid. Dan Morgan was a free safety/running back in high school, but he was an athlete. Jon Vilma was a tight end/linebacker. We found tough athletes and realized those were the guys that made a difference. And that's what we're doing now. Finding athletes that can do more than one thing out of high school, and then when they come here, they'll be better players.

Q: Is it simply doing more legwork and being more thorough as you evaluate not only how tough and athletic they are but also the character side of things?

Shannon: It's being on guys earlier and really having people at the school you trust. You do not want to take a great player who will be detrimental to your team. You have to be very careful now, especially with the APR and the way everyone is on coaches about making sure you don't bring in the wrong players who represent the school in a negative light.

I insist on all of our guys making sure we talk to everybody we can. It may be a janitor at the high school. It may be a counselor. It may be a regular student. Anybody that you can talk to so you can find out the information on a kid to find out, is this the right person? Is he going to be passionate about playing football? Is he going to represent your university well? That's the key.

Q: I remember hearing [Butch Davis' right-hand man] Pete Garcia saying that after the probation that you guys had to make sure you had strong leadership within the locker room so that it could police itself, and then after that maybe then you could roll the dice on a borderline guy with the thinking the team will have an influence on that player. Do you think at one point the program may be strayed too far from that?

Shannon: My first year as the head coach we just didn't have many leaders. We had "guys." They were all friends, but no leader to really step up like an Ed Reed would or a Dan Morgan or a Santana Moss would. When I was a player here, we had Jerome [Brown]. Or when [Micheal] Barrow played here, he was a leader. We're getting that now. Jason Fox is a leader. Jacory [Harris] is a leader. Sean Spence has that. Randy Phillips has that. We've got a mixture now that want to be part of it. When you see that your team doesn't have that, when it can't police itself from the inside to making sure the locker room is clean, make sure guys are showing up on time for classes and for everything, then you know you've got to change up how you're doing the evaluations.

Q: When you're signing 25 kids, do you look at your recruiting board and see who those guys probably are?

Shannon: To be honest, these last two years we've done a great job with that. My first year, we got [CB DeMarcus] Van Dyke and a couple of players here and there, but we really just had a month to put it together. But since then, I think we've done a great job of hitting on the right kids. You see it at receiver. You see it with Sean Spence. You see it with Marcus Robinson. You can go to any position on the team and you see that we did hit on some real good kids that are hard-nosed, that love UM, want to work and you won't have to worry about any problems.

Q: From interviewing top college players around the country the past year or two, I hear about how a lot of kids grew up as Miami fans at first but then shifted over to other schools as they move into the recruiting process. When you hear that, what do you think?

Shannon: A lot of people say when we recruit them, "Ah, I always loved Miami." Well, the hardest part is really getting people to understand where Miami is located. Some kids and parents think we're right in the middle of Liberty City. They don't understand we're in Coral Gables. They don't understand that Miami is a private school, that we only have 8,000 students. They think Miami is 40,000 students. That perception you have to knock down real quick.

If we can get the parents on campus with the kid at the same time, I think we have an 80 percent shot that we're gonna get him.

Q: When you first got the job, some of your rules got a lot of attention, especially your mandate that your players could not have any guns. You've got a reputation as a strong discipline guy, but the pressure is building to get Miami back to the days of contending for national championships. How connected are these two things?

Shannon: The wins will come. The thing I always believed is that when you have distractions, it's very hard to win because you're f!ghting other battles instead of coaching and your team sticking together. The wins will come. I think we have 56 freshmen and sophomores on this team. That's unheard of. And out of that 56, probably 38 to 40 of them are going to contribute. We've got a senior class and then these freshmen and sophomores. There is a big drop-off between. We have only about eight juniors.

Q: If you didn't have the two new coordinators, where your opponents are probably more in the dark about what they might see early, would you be more worried about having to open with those first four games [at FSU, against Ga. Tech, at Va. Tech and against Oklahoma]?

Shannon: I'm pretty excited about it. [Former UM defensive coordinator] Bill Young was great, but he went back home to his alma mater. He's probably going to retire at Oklahoma State. [Former UM offensive coordinator Patrick] Nix is a good coach. I felt we just needed to get something else going. I hired coach [Mark] Whipple because he's a great offensive mind, and he's also a great quarterback coach, so he could work with Jacory. And on defense we got John Lovett, who has that experience, and he knows the ACC. They bring a lot to the table, and the players see that.

I go back one year ago and I didn't know what was going to happen because we had so many young kids we had to depend on. Right now, I'm thrilled to death. I'm excited about what we have going into next season. The players are much more experienced, and they're much better athletes going into the season.

Q: How did the players here handle the end of the first-round draft streak?

Shannon: The players on the team took it as a challenge. Most Cane fans probably were shocked but then the reality hit: The program had probably got worse than what everybody thought it was. I mean we had one guy drafted [LB Spencer Adkins] and maybe three guys get free agent contracts out of maybe 18 seniors.

Q: And that recruiting class had a pretty high ranking when it was signed …

Shannon: See, that's what I'm saying. You have to be careful of going about rankings and what's on the board instead of going after players. We've been fortunate the past two years. We got players now, but they were all young and we had to play them. A lot of people get on me for playing them so early, but they were still our best players.

Q: How many guys do you suspect might become first-round picks in the 2011 draft?

Shannon: You probably could have four. In terms of the NFL draft, 2011 and 2012 will be big years for us.

Q: What kind of similarities do you see to when you get the head coaching job and to when Butch Davis came in?

Shannon: Back then, we still had four or five players. We had Ray Lewis, Kenard Lang, Kenny Holmes and Duane Starks, so we won nine games, but when we ran out of those guys, we had nobody. We went 5-6 and had to play Santana, Reggie Wayne, Dan, Damione Lewis when they were so young. That's what we had to do in 2008 and we went 7-6. It's kinda like the same situation. After we went 5-6, then we went 9-3, then 11-1 and then we won it. Well, we as a team feel like we should be a whole lot better than 7-6 next year.

Q: What would it take to win the ACC this year?

Shannon: Luck. And what I mean by that is we have to stay injury-free. Jacory cannot get hurt. We have to bring the second-team QB around, and the offensive line and linebackers have to stay healthy. We gotta get more depth. Our first-team offensive line is full of seniors and juniors and then behind them are guys who haven't played a snap. We don't have that third-year sophomore who has played some. All we need are two guys to come around. Right now, there's a gap. Now that's not supposed to happen in a program, but that's called rebuilding.
 8 years ago '06        #5537
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
blah blah blah get it done

thats the new motto.... we havent been relavent in 4 years

i have faith in shannon because that 2008 class was sick... and there isnt losers on that class.... we saw so much bright spots from true freshman where you got to believe the only way we can go is up.... i just know one thing WE ARE STACKED AT WIDEOUT.... the talent at that position might be the greatest ever at the U IMO... will they step it up? will the rock be there for them? alot of questions we about to find out
 8 years ago '04        #5538
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Good to hear Andre Johnson and Wayne plan to work with UM receivers this summer. ''That's my way of helping,'' Wayne said. "This group is way more talented than the group of me, Santana Moss, Andre King and a young Andre Johnson. I like their speed and size.''
real recognize real
 8 years ago '04        #5539
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
UM's Jacory Harris tells us his throwing shoulder finally is 100 percent after last season's injury and that former Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper has become a ''mentor'' for him. The two will do on-field work together this summer.
hopefully its the pre-2005 culpepper doing the teaching
 8 years ago '04        #5540
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Florida Sports Buzz: South Florida recruiting trail is red-hot

This upcoming football recruiting class is so good that Rivals has 25 South Florida seniors-to-be in its top 200, and analyst Charles Fishbein calls it "one of the best ever in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, as far as the number of kids who will go Division I-A.''

Eight months from signing day, UM is in a fierce battle for several, and some favor UF or FSU. The Canes have six oral commitments: offensive linemen Johnathan Feliciano (Davie Western) and Shane McDermott (Palm Beach Central); defensive tackles Todd Chandler of Northwestern (159th by Rivals) and Jacksonville's Louis Nix (154) and Tavadis Glenn; and Cape Coral cornerback Jeremy Davis. A look at top local prospects and where UM stands (their Rivals national ranking in parentheses):

Running back: Columbus' 5-9 Jakhari Gore (133; Frank's cousin) has 30-plus offers and said he expects to end up at UM. St. Thomas Aquinas' Giovanni Bernard (173) calls UM a ''terrific'' option.

But Booker T. Washington's Eduardo Clements (115) said FSU and Georgia lead; Miami hasn't offered Central's Brandon Gainer (161).

Receivers: UM and UF covet Miramar's 6-3 Ivan McCartney (66) -- who has no favorite and compares himself to cousin Chad Johnson -- and Booker T.'s Quinton Dunbar (107), who decommitted from Miami in April. But Dunbar said he and defensive end teammate Lynden Trail want to go to the same college, and both have UF No. 1, though UM hasn't been ruled out.

UM also offered Miami Springs' Willis Wright (likes Miami), Northwestern's Michaelee Harris (told Rivals.com he prefers a Southeastern Conference school), Cardinal Gibbons' Shawn Corker (Texas Tech reportedly favored; UM, UF among five finalists) and Delray Beach Atlantic's James Louis (Gators, UM are 1-2).

But UM hasn't offered Booker T's Ted Meline (92; calls Georgia his favorite) or Central's Joshua Reese (106; UF and FSU offered; he calls it ''kind of shocking'' Miami hasn't).

Defensive line: Hialeah end Corey Lemonier (71) said ''Miami is high on my list.' 'But so are Alabama, FSU, UF and Tennessee.....Trail (141) said UF is No. 1 - then USC, FSU and UM in that order - because "Urban Meyer takes the time to learn about me and what I like to do.''

Offensive line: UM covets Northwestern's Torrian Wilson (149) and St. Thomas Aquinas' Brandon Linder (180). Wilson said five finalists are ''about equal,'' including UM and Alabama. Linder, undecided, said "Miami is definitely at the top.''

Defensive backs: West Palm Beach Dwyer safety Matt Elam (No. 5) is a Gators oral commitment. St. Thomas Aquinas' LaMarcus Joyner (10) said FSU leads -- UM offered ''but I'm not a Miami fan and don't want to be in Miami'' for college. UM is pursuing Boyd Anderson's Demar Dorsey (163; a Gators oral commit) and Cliff Coleman (whose coach said he likely will choose UM or FSU); Hollywood Hills' Tony Grimes; and St. Thomas Aquinas teammates Keion Payne (likes UM) and Brian Robinson.

But St. Thomas Aquinas 5-9 corner Cody Riggs (43) said UM hasn't offered. Notre Dame is widely considered the favorite, with FSU and Georgia pushing hard.

Keep in mind, UM is focusing a lot of attention out of state, too. The Canes have made strong inroads in Georgia (they landed Prince Kent and Shayon Green in their '09 class), and are strongly in the mix for numerous Class of 2010 Georgia prospects: safety Alec Ogletree (ranked 59th by Rivals); Brian Vogler (No. 6 tight end prospect nationally; UM in his top eight); running back Mack Brown (50; UF and Georgia lead, but UM and FSU are coming on); and cornerbacks Jonathan Mincy (UM is in his top five) and Darius Robinson (told Rivals.com that UM is his slight preference).

Among the many other very good nonlocal players considering UM, here are four: Ocala receiver Kadron Boone (Devin Hester's cousin); Naples running backs Darion Hall (UM, FSU in top four); Brooksville running back Tevin Drake (averaged eight yards per carry in his career); and Utah quarterback Dallas Lloyd (UM, BYU, Utah, Nebraska and Stanford are his top five).

UM wants to add 22 or 23 scholarship players in the 2010 class, with offensive line and tight end among the priorities. St. Thomas Aquinas' Michael Palardy, who's undecided, said UM wants him as a punter/kicker.

Central coach Telly Lockett said Reese, Gainer and Jeffrey Godfrey (Dade's top quarterback) want to attend the same college. South Florida, FSU, Oregon, UF and West Virginia are top contenders. Lockett said he cannot understand why Miami hasn't offered Reese and Gainer: ''They are no-brainers.'' But in general, there are some players that UM wants to see next season before offering.

CHATTER

UF is making a big push in Miami-Dade -- Ransom linebacker/Gators oral commitment Gideon Ajagbe (157th) could be UF's first Dade signee since 2005. Meyer said UM ''is hard to beat'' here, but "you can do a good job, and we have.''
Home      

most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
19 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
104 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside which heaux you trynna turn into a housewife??
176 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Kobe A.D. ID (my colorway) Your thoughts......
22 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Introduction to Pizzagate
139 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Dec 8 - Barely Half of 30-Year-Olds Earn More Than Their Parents
67 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
167 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy