Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5501
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Louis Nix Video from Sunshine Preps

8 years ago '05        #5502
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,894 | Props total: 289 289
damn cap you just k!llt it.
 8 years ago '06        #5503
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11929 11929
real talk im a big time shannon fan but if we dont get 9 wins or better.........

tommy it is!!!!!!
 8 years ago '07        #5504
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 P. Dedos said:
real talk im a big time shannon fan but if we dont get 9 wins or better.........

tommy it is!!!!!!
Truth:cool-smiley-009:

btw, Marcus robinson bout to look like aaron maybin out there:agreement6:
 8 years ago '04        #5505
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 P. Dedos said:

tommy it is!!!!!!
basically

i hope randy wins soon.....but i feel better knowing tuberville may possibly be waiting in the wings

and thanks cap:applause:
 8 years ago '05        #5506
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,894 | Props total: 289 289
i read somewhere bout the tommy hire being unrealistic becuz dude is looking to get paid and we dont have the money to do so.
 8 years ago '04        #5507
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
i read somewhere bout the tommy hire being unrealistic becuz dude is looking to get paid and we dont have the money to do so.
He could be a possibility. He doesn't "NEED" to get paid because he's basically getting paid by Auburn right now. He has said before he loves UM and still does. During NSD, dude was so pumped when talkin about the U that it felt like he was finna give a pep talk

Anyways, no prob fellas, i just cant wait for football to get started... 6 months of unbearable and miserable baseball to go...

Graham giving football a shot

Jimmy Graham hasn't played football since the ninth grade. But he's not letting it stop him from giving it another shot.

Jimmy Graham Around lunchtime Wednesday, University of Miami coach Randy Shannon confirmed the rumors we'd all been hearing for weeks when he told reporters during his 10-minute ACC teleconference that the 6-8, 260-pound Canes power forward will indeed be trying out at tight end.

"We will give him a chance if he wants to do that," Shannon said. "I told Jimmy he has an opportunity to come back to school, enjoy the dream of playing football. He's been around, been with the players, Jacory Harris some... with his size and speed he may help us."

The Hurricanes could definitely use the help. UM is not only thin on experience at tight end, they don't have any proven talent aside from Dedrick Epps. Seniors Richard Gordon and Tervaris Johnson and redshirt sophomore Daniel Adderley took the majority of the snaps the spring and looked average at best. Stephen Plein and Billy Sanders will likely not be ready to help as true freshmen.

Wednesday, Shannon provided some good news when he told reporters Epps, coming off knee surgery in December, was ahead of schedule. "He should be ready for camp, should be running full speed in July," Shannon said. "He should be full speed and ready to go."

But it's Graham who could be the most intriguing prospect at the position considering his size and athletic ability. Some of the NFL's best tight ends -- Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez -- have come from the basketball court. Graham, who is declining interviews according to UM sports information director Margaret Belch, could be the next one.

Wednesday, after Shannon's press conference, I caught up with Carlos Peralta, Graham's old basketball coach at Charis Prep in N.C. Peralta, who has talked to Graham at least once a week since he's been at UM, told me the football team approached Graham about giving tight end a try. Peralta said Graham wrestled with the decision for weeks, praying on it for days before finally telling Shannon recently he would give football a shot.

"First and foremost what swayed him was that he's enjoyed his time at UM," Peralta said. "And he saw this as an opportunity to extend his experience a little bit. He talked about going to graduate school, how he'll be able to be a double major [marketing and business] by the time he graduates. Jimmy always loved football. It was his first love really. The way he and I see this is he gets to let go of more unleashed aggression -- without the fouls."

According to Peralta, Graham explored all of his basketball opportunities before deciding to give football a try. He looked into potential agents and contemplated offers from overseas -- as far East as Russia.

"Options were available to him," Peralta said. "I think the bottomline is he felt like it was a bit of an unknown in terms of environment. Although the money looks good on paper, he didn't know if he'd enjoy living for six months in Russia. That's what it really came down to."

> Shannon discussed a few other topics during his teleconference including his new coordinators, UM's NFL First Round Draft Streak coming to an end and how Taylor Cook will enter the fall as the team's No. 2 quarterback (which we expected). Nothing was earth shattering. FYI, it's likely the last time we'll hear from Shannon until fall practice begins.

> While I realize many of you might have been miffed by my last blog on recruiting becoming a little more challenging locally for the Canes, I want you to know I had several interesting conversations with several UM staff members behind the scenes about it this week.

One person told me the reason it is getting harder is because of the emergence of more "mentors" locally. These people could be trying to earn "favors" with outside schools. I'm not going to point any fingers (just know I don't write blogs to stir up controversy or to get hits). I've had my finger on the pulse of recruiting here in South Florida for years. Something isn't right. With severe budget cuts happening on the high school level in Miami-Dade and Broward, a.ssistants and people around programs are losing their jobs. Understand there might be a few desperate guys out there trying to find "help." They are beginning to point kids toward a particular school for that reason. UM knows it and they're trying to f!ght it. It's just not so easy when some schools have something to offer and The U does not want to get involved in that at all.
 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM         #5508
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Look, I like Shannon, just like what seems like everyone else, but if we don't win the ACC this year... he's gotta be gone.
 8 years ago '04        #5509
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
Tavadis Glenn just committed, i hear Ivan McCartney is next:applause:
 8 years ago '06        #5510
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 madness said:
Tavadis Glenn just committed, i hear Ivan McCartney is next:applause:
:applause::applause::applause:

clint hurtt >>>>>>>>>>>>
 8 years ago '04        #5511
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Jacksonville (FL) Terry Parker High School lineman Tavadis Glenn has never stepped foot on the University of Miami's campus.

But he says he decided to commit to UM two days ago because "They made me feel at home."

Glenn says Cane coache stuck by him after he suffered a hip injury in a car accident a month ago. He says he was run down by a car and hit.

"It's not bad," Glenn said. "I'll be good in six weeks.

"But with me being injured some schools took offers off the table. Miami coaches, they were straight up with me, said the offer is still on the table."

The 6-foot-5, 265-pounder called up Cane coach Clint Hurtt on Wednesday to give him the news.

"He said the offer was still on the table, to take it," Glenn said. "I told him `I want to commit right now.'"

Asked what schools he chose UM over, Glenn says, "There are no other schools. I'm done considering other schools."

Among his 15 scholarship offers were LSU, Florida, South Carolina, USC and LSU.

"I'm not considering anyone else - it's solid," he says.

Glenn also has a relationship with another committed lineman - Louis Nix.

"(We) have a close relationship," Glenn said. "We've been rivals since 8th grade. We play the same position, but that's a good thing. We're the same type of athlete."

Nix told CaneSport Friday night that the new commitment firms up his commitment to Miami, which he previously said was very soft.

"Yes it does," Nix says. "I just got off the phone with him. We're real good friends. I'm real excited about it. He's going to school with me. We'll play together."

Glenn's goal at Miami?

"To graduate with a business degree and go to the NFL," he says.

Glenn says he is being recruited on both sides of the ball by Miami - as a defensive tackle and offensive lineman. He plays both ways in high school. Last year he finished with 40 tackles, 17 for losses, with six sacks and a field goal block.

He's started since his freshman year.

"I'll play whichever position works out, but I do prefer defense," Glenn says.
 8 years ago '04        #5512
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
On The Spot: Miami's Jacory Harris

With Robert Marve out of the picture, Jacory Harris is now the unquestioned starting quarterback and leader at Miami – which means all the pressure is on him.

By Matt Severance, managing editor

There is no quarterback controversy this year at Quarterback U.

Actually, the University of Miami probably can't be called Quarterback U any longer considering the Canes' recent struggles and pedestrian signal-callers since Ken Dorsey (and for years before Dorsey once Gino Torretta left Coral Gables), but sophomore Jacory Harris will be the guy charged with bringing UM back to national prominence this season.

It appeared that Harris had edged ahead of fellow freshman Robert Marve by the end of last season after the two had split snaps all year, especially once Marve, who had started 11 games, was suspended for the second time in 2008 before the Emerald Bowl against Cal. Harris' establishment as the No. 1 became official when Marve decided to transfer from Miami following the season.

Marve's relationship with Coach Randy Shannon was rumored to be on the rocks during his time at Miami. In fact, Marve's transfer became big news when the QB's father, former Tampa Bay Bucs linebacker Eugene Marve, engaged in a bit of a public spat with Shannon over the restrictions on where his son could go.

But the past is passed as far as the Hurricanes are concerned, and Harris will lead this young, talented team in 2009 and going forward. And Harris' relationship with Shannon is a good one.

"We have discussions on what's going on, where the future is headed," Harris said to the Palm Beach Post. "And it's headed in the right direction."

And while Shannon was clearly trying to satisfy his two high-profile recruits by playing both last year, it's also clear the team needed one voice in the huddle. The Canes have one now.

"There's no question this is now Jacory's team. Last year, both he and Robert Marve tried to put on a smile when they talked about having to share the job," said Manny Navarro, who covers the Hurricanes for the Miami Herald. "The truth is, Harris wasn't just the better quarterback based on numbers, he was the better leader too. I think his teammates are happy the quarterback controversy is behind them and Harris is their leader."

Harris played in all 13 games last season, starting the two in which Marve was suspended. Harris completed 118 of 194 passes (60.8 percent) for 1,195 yards with 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Shandel Richardson, who covers the Canes for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, says Harris likely would have been the starting quarterback this year regardless.

"It really would have been interesting to see what would've happened had Marve decided to stick around, but I still feel Harris would have ultimately won the job," Richardson said. "It just seemed that both quarterbacks were heading in opposite directions on the depth chart. Harris was surging while Marve was somewhat losing points with Coach Shannon. Harris was a lot more comfortable this spring because he was given the keys to the program instead of having to share with anyone. This should do wonders for his confidence, and possibly give the Hurricanes some under center, something they have lacked in recent years."

Since Dorsey left following the 2002 season, which was UM's second straight season playing for a national title, the likes of Brock Berlin, Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman left plenty to be desired at the quarterback position.

Shannon took over for the fired Larry Coker following the 2006 season as the Canes were trending downward. UM is just 12-13 under Shannon but did show signs last year by reaching that bowl game. And the Canes have had consensus top-10 recruiting classes under Shannon, a former UM linebacker in the glory days.

But no team will succeed without good quarterback play, and that's what makes Harris the focal point of the 2009 Canes. The sophomore will have to adjust to a new offensive coordinator this season in former Philadelphia Eagles a.ssistant Mark Whipple (who is credited with helping groom Ben Roethlisberger when Whipple was with the Steelers), which made spring practices even more important.

"One thing Jacory showed me this spring - besides looking like he might actually be able to survive a big hit (he's up to 190 pounds) - is that this new offense created by Mark Whipple is more suited toward his game," Navarro said. "Harris set state records at Miami Northwestern not by throwing the ball 50 yards down field. He did it with an intermediate passing game, spreading the ball around with a high completion percentage. He had tremendous chemistry with all of his receivers.

"The spring game statistics weren't pretty, but it was obvious he was held back. What he did in the first real scrimmage of the spring (going 17 of 18) showed us what he's capable of in the right offense. And it definitely looks like he's in the right offense now."

There is definitely talent around him, although Harris better adjust to Whipple's system quickly because the Canes have a monster opening four games: at Florida State, vs. Georgia Tech, at Virginia Tech, vs. Oklahoma.

"The key is how fast Harris can pick up a new system," Richardson said. "If he does, he should have a pretty fun year with so many talented wide receivers to choose from."

Other than Harris, there are only two redshirt freshman QBs on the roster, Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook (the likely backup), so this team will go only as far as Harris carries it.

"Now he doesn't have to worry about anything else," said UM offensive tackle Jason Fox to reporters.

Some might argue that Harris has much more to worry about now, because the program, and maybe Shannon's job, is on his shoulders.
 8 years ago '06        #5513
Against D Grain 
space
space
$6,257 | Props total: 125 125
So Randy Shannon on the hot seat? If Tommy Tuberville is available and want the Job, I advise you guys to jump on board. I think he will fit perfect at the U, great game day coach, and will still keep South Florida on lock.
 8 years ago '06        #5514
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
THE WHIPPLE EFFECT

NFL ties often have enabled Miami to land many top recruits, but this is a bit of a new thing. Blue-chip QB A.J. Derby, a member of the ESPN 150 Watch List, tells InsidetheU.com that he's really intrigued about UM and for the chance to be coached by the man who coached his favorite player (Ben Roethlisberger), new Canes offensive coordinator Mark Whipple:

"Ben Roethlisberger is my favorite player and I try to pattern my game after him," Derby said. "I feel like I can play like him because we are both pretty big and we are both pretty athletic, so that is who I try to watch. That is pretty cool that coach Whipple was Ben Roethlisberger's quarterback coach."
 8 years ago '04        #5515
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Former top recruit just looking for shot in NFL

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports 5 hours, 37 minutes ago

Buzz up! 90 votes
Print

Yahoo! Sports

Willie Williams likes to say that you’re not supposed to live your life with regrets. He clings to this belief, despite knowing the outside world looks at him and thinks he should have many.

“I don’t look at my life with bitterness,” he says. “I look at it with motivation. This is the bed I made and chose to lay in, so I’m going to have to sleep in it.”

Photo Williams, left, watches from the bench during his brief stay at Louisville.
(Mark Zerof/US Presswire)

A linebacker who was once widely considered the nation’s best defensive prospect coming out of high school – in the same year Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson was tabbed as the country’s best prep offensive player – Williams is less than a week removed from the NFL draft. But rather than sitting in the green room with other celebrated draft picks in New York City on Saturday, he’ll watch with a small collection of family, eating some modest home cooking and hoping that some team, any team, will give him an opportunity to play in the league. According to his college coaches, at least 17 NFL franchises have shown some level of interest. Whether any of them are willing to go further will be one of this draft’s underrated story lines.

In fact, one NFC personnel man said he expects Williams to go undrafted and that the former prep star will be signed as a free agent.

It’s a humble ending to a five-year college career that took him to a handful of schools: Miami (two seasons, one redshirt before transferring), West Los Angeles Community College (one season), Louisville (three games, ending after an arrest for marijuana possession), Division II Glenville State (one semester, before being denied transfer by the NCAA to the West Virginia school), and finally, tiny NAIA school Union College (one season) in Barbourville, Ky.

Indeed, Williams’ career has been nothing like many projected. Once considered the next great heir to a Miami linebacker lineage that includes Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams, his arrival with the Hurricanes was merely the first stop in a spiral that ended in the NAIA. Along the way, Williams’ painful history became riveting Internet fodder. Websites like Deadspin delighted in his every misstep. Message boards buzzed with each development. Among the lowlights, which Williams openly discusses:

• Eleven arrests in high school, most for petty larceny or burglary.

• A journal in the Miami Herald which spilled wild details of recruiting visits and caught attention from the NCAA.

• A recruiting visit to Florida where Williams discharged fire extinguishers in a hotel and was questioned by police for “hugging a female student against her will.”

• A transfer out of Miami after failing to crack the starting lineup as a true freshman.

• A traffic stop and arrest for marijuana possession at Louisville that ended in his dismissal from the team.

Looking back on it, Williams is apologetic but accepting, saying immaturity and a lack of patience kept him from making good decisions. He admits that he sometimes wonders what could have been had he stayed at Miami, where he expected to bide his time behind eventual first-round pick Jon Beason at outside linebacker. Instead, he succumbed to friends and some family around him, who expected that he would immediately become a college football star.

“At the time, I made the decision that I thought was best,” Williams says. “I felt like Miami wasn’t getting 100 percent. I wasn’t 100 percent focused like I thought I should be, being born and raised in Miami, coming out of high school there.”

So began Williams’ journey, from Miami to West Los Angeles C.C. to Louisville, which accepted him into the school with the understanding that there would be a zero-tolerance policy when it came to behavior. When he was arrested for marijuana possession, with three other individuals in the car, he was immediately dismissed from the team. Williams eventually pled guilty to the arrest, and coaches are quick to point out that the incident has been his only trouble in his five years in college.

A transfer to Division II Glenville State was denied by the NCAA – a problem head coach Alan Fiddler said was a misinterpretation by the school’s compliance department, and not any fault of Williams’. And it was Fiddler who worked the phones and found Williams the landing spot at Union, where Williams arrived eight days before the school’s first game, then went out and became the NAIA’s defensive player of the week after putting up 13 tackles, two sacks and two fumble recoveries. He finished the season with 150 tackles 19 tackles for a loss and 11 sacks.

Look anywhere along the journey, and coaches will gush about Williams – regardless of whether he played for them. Fiddler said his Glenville State team couldn’t block Williams in practices. Union coach Tommy Reid calls him the best player he’s ever had in his program. Even Coker, who coached dozens of NFL players at Miami, insists Williams’ talent is unique.

“I think he could have been a great player at Miami, I really do,” said Coker, who is now the head coach at the University of Texas at San Antonio. “He has a lot of ability. He can run, he’s got size, he’s strong, he’s a very good athlete. If he can go into the league, I would think he would have been humbled a little bit by now in his career, if he can just go into the league and [say] ‘Give me a shot, I’ll be on every special teams [unit].’ If that’s the attitude he goes into the league with, I think he could be a special player.”

Whether that shot comes, Coker shrugs. He says he hasn’t been contacted by any NFL teams. However, multiple league scouts traveled to Union to see Williams practice, including the Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos and New York Giants. Many others called or asked for film to be sent, including the Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. The Packers, Browns and 49ers also watched Williams at his pro day, which was held with Eastern Kentucky University.

Williams put up solid numbers in that performance, too. According to the numbers released by the school, he measured in at 6-3 and 230 pounds, showing the size to be a weakside linebacker in the NFL. He did 26 reps at 225 pounds (one more than Wake Forest’s Aaron Curry), ran his 40-yard dash in the mid-4.5 second range and showcased NFL-caliber agility in the cone drills.

But numbers and workouts and practice visits are a long way from a sure thing. Ultimately, with the current climate in the NFL, it’s just as important that Williams proves he can be trusted. Many of his troubles have been explained away in the media by family and friends – the bad crowd he hung around with in high school, his father’s sudden death from a heart attack when Williams was 12, the unchecked affection and expectations he received as a national football recruit.

Yet, when Williams is asked to spell out his own answers for his issues, he instead chooses to talk about the things that have happened that have changed him for the better. These are things he relates in events: the birth of his daughter, Willaysia, in Jan. 2005; learning of the murder of longtime friend and Miami football player Bryan Pata, who was shot to death in 2006; and finally finding a place at Union, which seems too remote and small – antithesis of everything he knew in Miami. These are things he also wants NFL franchises and fans and onlookers to know.

“I want teams to know that I’m all in, I’m focused, and this is what I want to do with my life,” Williams said. “I look them in the eye and say ‘Yes, you can trust me.’ Five or six years ago, I probably would have looked away a little bit when I answered that. But I definitely learned from all my mistakes. A lot of my past mistakes were so immature. And I’m not blaming it on me being younger or because my dad died and all that. It was my fault. I had to learn from that.”
 8 years ago '04        #5516
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
(Joel Auerbach/US Presswire)

Coaches are quick to come to his defense, too. Reid said that Union had standard drug screening for its athletes and that Williams never failed a single test in the time he was there. Fiddler said that when Glenville State pushed Williams about his past, he was remorseful and open, admitting that he had made mistakes and that he didn’t want to push the blame anywhere else.

“You have kids come in and act like they’ve never done anything wrong,” Fiddler said. “He didn’t do that.”

Fiddler said Williams was never a behavioral problem, either – a sentiment backed up by Coker.

“We never had a problem with him at Miami. It wasn’t an issue at all with us,” Coker said. “… I’ll tell you what, there’s no doubt about it, he’s a very bright kid. The intelligence factor, that’s not an issue with Willie. I think the thing that was a problem with Willie as a youngster was he was probably a little immature. He was a follower, and it’s one of those things that sometimes many kids do, you want to please those people around you. I think that was tough for Willie.”

Now Williams will have to please some NFL team, proving that his largely unharnessed talent is worth what it will bring in tow. Inevitably, any team that brings him in will be forced to confront the issue of character, and how Williams has proven to them that his is in the right place. And Williams will be forced to re-live the last five years, answering how such a promising start could fall apart so completely.

And while he tries not to live with regret, he admits there is one thing he would change if he could.

“My record,” Williams said. “I’m not lying, I did some really stupid stuff when I was younger.

“All I want is a shot. If I get my foot in the door, I’m going to give 185 percent. I’ll do anything. I’ll help the film men set up and pack up. I’m going to put my all into it. One day, I want to be one of the greats. No matter what it takes. I just want to play. I don’t care if they tell me ‘Willie, we just want you on special teams.’ I’ll say ‘Coach, no problem. I’m going to run down like I’m running a 40 every time, until you tell me to slow down.’”
 8 years ago '04        #5517
booie4 
space
space
$4,870 | Props total: 582 582
The defensive line is deep. There is no doubt about that. The Spring proved that once again as a true freshman on early enrollment, Olivier Vernon, made head waves as he was a starting defensive end by the end of the Spring.

The depth was proven when guys were knocked out of action giving the likes of Vernon the opportunity to earn time and show what he could.

By the end of the Spring, Vernon was arguably the best defensive end on the team. While senior Eric Moncur has been granted another year of eligibility, once again he did not compete in Spring practice. He is a player, that while it would be great to have him available, simply can't be relied upon to step in.

However, the 'Canes are loaded at defensive end. Anyone of four different defensive ends could start when the season begins, but quite frankly, after the Spring finished it was still wide open as to who would be on the first unit in the Spring.

The favorites when the Fall begins are Adewale Ojomo who played a lot in the Spring and played well until late when he was held out of CanesFest, Marcus Robinson who was the 'Canes best defensive last year as the season progressed, Courtney Harris who should be back in full form from his Achilles injury that forced him out of last season, and Vernon.

Andrew Smith and Gavin Hardin would be on the outside looking in, but they would get reps as well and would be ready to step in if given the opportunity. Moncur remains the "X" factor. If he's healthy and can play at full speed, he would be a huge help and would bring a great deal of leadership to the defensive line.

At defensive tackle, the 'Canes are similarly deep. Joe Joseph and Marcus Fortson are expected to be the starters when the Fall begins, but there was a lot of flip flopping with the lineup during the Spring.

All of the defensive tackles got the opportunity to play and get reps this Spring including early enrollee Curtis Porter.

Allen Bailey was moved to defensive tackle this Spring after playing defensive end last season so it's another change for Bailey. He was also held out of CanesFest so fans didn't get to see his progression in the Spring.

Josh Holmes, Jeremy Lewis and Micanor Regis also got plenty of reps this Spring.

Either way, similarly to the defensive end position, depth is what is good about the defensive tackle position. However, no one has truly stepped to the forefront as the leader of the group yet. No one is dominating and that is what will make this group special. The second that one guy steps up and becomes a dominating presence, then this group will be able to say it has arrived.
 8 years ago '04        #5518
booie4 
space
space
The linebacker position was one of weakness in 2008. Injuries hurt the unit as freshman Sean Spence was thrust into immediate playing time because of the lack of playmaking ability and depth in the unit.

Veteran Colin McCarthy missed most of the season with a shoulder injury and the 'Canes were forced to rely on a number of players that normally wouldn't get a lot of playing time.

The Spring saw much of the same.

Spence was clearly the leader of the group playing on the outside while Daryl Sharpton moved to the middle and Ramon Buchanon played on the strong side.

However, by the time the Spring ended, Buchanon was on the sideline with an injury making way for Jordan Futch who took his spot at CanesFest.

Arthur Brown was the backup at middle linebacker and showed his penchant for knocking ball carriers off their feet in the backfield and showed the ability to play downhill very well. However, whether or not he can cover running backs and/or tight ends in the open field remains to be seen.

Sean Goldstein is the interesting story of this unit. Goldstein, who is a walk-on, was given reps in the Spring. He got chances to see the field in the scrimmages and did a fairly good job, but it's unlikely he will get any significant playing time during the 2009 season.

However, hard working players like him are always a need. He has the ability to always push the other guys and inspire them to do more.

No matter which way you slice it, linebacker is a position of concern. It's such a concern that coaches moved C.J. Holton to linebacker after recruiting him to Miami as a safety.

Holton still has a lot to learn about the position, but physically he can handle it. He was a big safety and at 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, he's pretty much the same size as Brown is and already bigger than guys like Spence and Buchanon.

The "X" Factor for the 'Canes at linebacker remains McCarthy who missed the entire Spring. If McCarthy is in the lineup, it changes the entire look of the 'Canes defense. McCarthy automatically becomes the starting middle linebacker with Sharpton moving back to the strong side and Spence on the weak side.

It creates more depth and gives the 'Canes far more experience on the field. However, if he's unavailable, the 'Canes are looking at a wide open battle at strong side linebacker and changes to depth.

Spence is the other key. He continued to get better in the Spring, but the key of course for Spence is getting bigger and stronger. If he can replicate the season he had last season and this time finish it off rather than wearing down late in the season, it would make a major difference at linebacker.
 8 years ago '04        #5519
booie4 
space
space
The University of Miami has produced some of the best defensive backs over the past 30 years. From Bennie Blades to Ed Reed to Ryan McNeil to Daryl Williams to Mike Rumph to Antrel Rolle and Sean Taylor, big time defensive backs have a history of coming through the University of Miami. As recently as Kenny Phillips just a year ago, the 'Canes have had numerous defensive backs taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

This Spring, the new crop of defensive backs took the stage and for the most part, outside of Randy Phillips, it was the young guys who dominated on the field. Brandon Harris is entrenched as one starting corner with DeMarcus Van Dke likely the other starting corner, but freshman Brandon McGee surely made waves in the Spring. With senior Chavez Grant likely to be the nickel back, the 'Canes have a young core at corner.

By mid-season, it's quite possible that Harris and McGee will be starting opposite each other and will lock down the position for at least the next three years together. Sam Shields moving to corner has provided the team with depth at the position. While he won't be expected to be the man at the position, he could provide some help on the edge.

At safety is where head waves were made this Spring. Coming out of Long Beach Poly there was no doubt that Vaughn Telemaque was a tremendous talent. Everything that had been said about him by high school coaches and high school opponents led you to believe that he would be a star in college. An injury prevented that his freshman season and now as a redshirt freshman, he's a sure fire starter as he made play after play in the Spring and showed an ability to tackle in the open field as well. Randy Phillips' is a welcome back to the defensive secondary providing a leader in the deep secondary. Phillips will likely be the starter opposite of Telemaque, but his leadership is a key for the unit to be successful. Phillips is the player that keeps the unit grounded. In fact, he's probably the guy that keeps the entire defense grounded. JoJo Nicolas started a good part of the 2008 season, but he needs to show marked improvement if he expects to keep that position and beat out Telemaque or Phillips. However, he would still provide depth at safety. Ryan Hill provides depth at safety and can be on the flip flops between safety and corner while Jared Campbell and Joe Wylie will also see time at safety. It's an exciting time at the position though because the youth is getting a chance to truly see what its made of in 2009 without even including incoming freshman Ray Ray Armstrong.
 8 years ago '04        #5520
booie4 
space
space
There is no off-season for Hurricane football coaches.

And one of the most hectic times of year is fast approaching - the May evaluation period. Seven coaches at a time will be on the road during a four-week span between April 15 and the end of May.

Head coaches aren't allowed to go out and do the scouting, per NCAA rules.

"(May evaluation) is extremely important," UM recruiting coordinator Clint Hurtt said. "That's the tough part of recruiting - making sure that you get out and really, really grind in the month of May. The biggest thing is just understanding and identifying kids early. For example, two years ago I knew about (Cane signee) Jamal Reid (from seeing him practice and talking to his coaches). I knew about him when he was a 10th grader, which made it easier to recruit him - if I hadn't known him until his senior year it would have been harder (to land him).

"May is a critical time of the year. There are a lot of kids that are 16 or younger, so their bodies change. A linebacker might have been 5-10, 195 who was a great player but real small. And all of a sudden he had a three inch spurt and now we can take that kid. May is a time of following all your tracks and follow up with all your kids."

Cane coaches will watch an endless stream of recruits for this year and beyond. But they won't be talking to the players per NCAA rules.

Miami coaches are allowed one phone call to each recruit during the time period per the rules.

"We're not allowed to talk to them (in person)," Hurtt said. "It's very difficult (when a kid wants to talk at school). You can say hello, but let the kid know immediately `I'm not allowed to speak to you.' It's hard, stops you from being a human being a little bit. But you have to work your way through it. You are allowed to make one phone call in that time, and we try to get our calls in before we go out (to visit practice) so we can communicate that (we can't talk) so the kid doesn't feel we're rude."

Miami's evaluations will result in more scholarship offers.

But, for those hard-core recruitniks out there, beware of those with verbal offers. Until that written offer comes, nothing is for sure.

"I don't know what a verbal offer is - if they say they have a verbal offer, you aren't offered," Hurtt says. "My belief is unless you have something in black and white you haven't got it."

What is the process UM goes through to extend a scholarship offer?

"I watch film of every kid regardless of position," Hurtt says. "There might be sometimes where some guys (on the staff) may feel he's an offer, others may not feel he is. Myself and Randy (Shannon) will have the final say so on that."

"Sometimes if a position coach feels strongly about something, you hear him out. It's not a dictatorship. You have guys who look at players in the past and turned down a kid, and he ends up being an NFL Hall of Fame player. People make mistakes in recruiting. The more eyes and coaches you have watching the film, the better."

The Canes will look to get some commitments as they extend more offers. But Hurtt and the rest of the Cane coaching staff knows as commitments come in, several of those players will want to take a full slate of official visits.

How does UM deal with that?

"We keep recruiting hard," Hurtt said. "I've been dealing with this the last three years. Everyone makes a big deal out of it, says that kids don't understand what commitment means. Well, some do, some don't. I don't make a big deal out of it. I look at it like there's no honor among thieves. If Florida gets a commit, it isn't like we're going to stop recruiting that kid, and Florida won't stop recruiting our kids. That will last through the end of the final day. In the three years that we have been here there has only been one kid that has pulled out on Signing Day. That's a pretty good percentage. I have no problem if these kids want to go out and have fun - who are we to say he can't go anyplace (for a visit)? I tell the kids I trust them. If I didn't trust the young man and his commitment - even if he is going to take trips - I wouldn't even take the commitment."

Hurtt says he doesn't expect Miami to fill the allowed total of 25 scholarship players in the coming class. He says he expects the final number of signees to be around 21 or 22.

While nothing is set in stone and numbers fluctuate as recruiting goes forward, here is a very tentative look at a position-by-position breakdown per Hurtt: 1 quarterback, 1 running back, 3 tight ends, 2 wide receivers, 2 defensive linemen, at least 3 linebackers, 4 defensive backs, 4-5 offensive linemen and one kicker.

"21-22 (scholarships) - we're right in that area to give," Hurtt said.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside TMZ - 50 Cent Wins $14.5 Million From His Former Lawyers
55 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago