Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5461
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
i tell you what i thought our OL played real good. they were physical at the point of attack, did good jobs staying on blocks and didnt have any penalties.
 8 years ago '06        #5462
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928
 Junior G said:
tharinger.com

they said Luc is too, site is wrong alot so they probably hold no weight
luc is all ours so i guess maybe they right :applause:
 8 years ago '04        #5463
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
word is bryce brown was chillin in the locker room and Orlando Franklin kicked his a.ss out.
 8 years ago '05        #5464
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,651 | Props total: 3742 3742

[pic - click to view]

somebody need to tell Jose Jose fat a.ss to stop eatin all the food, f**kin slob. He needs to stop lyin too FSU/FU/UGA have not offered this blob. go to Miami and if Luc goes there eat him for me.

Last edited by Junior G; 03-31-2009 at 08:42 AM..
 8 years ago '06        #5465
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 Cap Peeler said:
word is bryce brown was chillin in the locker room and Orlando Franklin kicked his a.ss out.
big O >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

our O line is gonna be much improved this season

B Wash is a beast :applause:
 8 years ago '04        #5466
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 P. Dedos said:
big O >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

our O line is gonna be much improved this season

B Wash is a beast :applause:
i can just picture big O tellin him to kick rocks and then bryce runnin to his brother for help

O-Line is gonna be the key to the entire offense, has to give jacory time to throw and open up lanes for the backs
 8 years ago '06        #5467
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
AB knows he cant do shyt

step ya game up aurthur or your a.ss can join ya brah brah in tennessee

we to deep at backer... too strong!!!

give us that scholly for the 2010 season :rasta:
 8 years ago '05        #5468
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,651 | Props total: 3742 3742
Michael Langston
FlaVarsity.com

Talk about it in The Tribal Council
For months Booker T. Washington WR Quinton Dunbar talked about taking other visits and looking around to make sure he made the right choice by choosing the Miami Hurricanes. On Friday morning, Dunbar informed FlaVarsity.com that he decomitted from the Hurricanes and ready to start the recruiting process over after talking it over with his family. Dunbar spoke to FlaVarsity.com about his reasons and why Hurricane fans might not have a need for concern.

Dunbar decommited from Miami this morning and will take other visits

The decision of feeling comfortable with a verbal non-binding commitment comes with plenty of pressure. You have to consider many factors such as playing time, location and so on. For Booker T. Washington WR Quinton Dunbar, he didn't want to have any second thoughts as he officially opened his recruitment to the rest of the country.

"I decomitted from Miami this morning. I spoke with Coach McGriff. He was neutral about it, and obviously disappointed but at the same time understood. He just asked me if Miami was still on my list of favorites, I responded with a yes. This is something I've been talking over with my Mom for a while and we came to this decision last night because I need to get out and see other places to see if Miami is the right place for me," explained Dunbar.

Although the news isn't encouraging for Hurricane fans, Dunbar states that it had nothing to do with Miami and it appears the Canes are still in good position to land the signature of Dunbar when everything is said and done.

"Miami is still my number one school and I love everything about it. It's a program I know very well and feel comfortable, but at the same time I haven't seen other schools so I need something to compare it to," added Dunbar.

With his recruitment now open, Dunbar has focused on taking visits to at least three schools and more could be set up at a later date?

"I know I'm going to be visiting Florida, Florida State and Michigan. I've spoken at good length with Vance Bedford (Florida), and James Coley (FSU) both are great coaches I just need to see and learn more about their offenses. I know with FSU, I'm going to probably be taking that visit sometime in the summer with Eduardo Clements and Lynden Trail because both also have interest in them. With Florida, I just have to work out the dates but that could be in the spring. I'm probably going to visit a few more schools, but right now I'm just working out all the dates."

As a junior, Dunbar had a breakout season for the Booker T. Washington Tornadoes finishing with 747 yards and 9 touchdowns. However, according to the elusive athlete, he feels last year was more of an stepping tool for his senior year.

"My best strength as far as my game is going up for the football. I just feel anytime that ball is in the air and it's near me, 99% of the time I'm going to come down with it. This year though I've worked hard on my route running because that's the area I needed the most improvement in because at times I felt I was a little lazy with my routes."

The improvements of that very same weakness have grown by leaps and bounds, with big time performances at both the 7-on-7 Tournament a few weeks ago and the Miami NIKE camp last weekend where some experts even had Dunbar as the top overall receiver for the event.

"The main thing is just putting in the work. I thought I did alright at the Miami NIKE camp. I really k!lled the defensive backs on the deep passes, but I wish I could have done more intermediate or short routes. But overall it was a great experience for me and it just gives me something to push for even higher in spring and summer practice at Booker T. Washington."

Although the Miami NIKE camp tests athletic ability, speed and quickness, there is still no tackling or pads. So how did the experience prepare Dunbar for this upcoming season?

"What helps is the fact that you go head to head against so many top guys in one place. I think the competition factor is the biggest thing you can take out of this event because in practice you probably have one or two guys who are at your level but at this event it's basically everyone is right up there with your talent so it's pretty special in getting that kind of challenge."

Coming into this season, the Booker T. Washington Tornadoes are hoping to return to championship form after winning the 2007 4A State Title. This season, Dunbar will be joined by a stellar wide receiving unit in Ted Meline and Javon Rich.

"Our receivers are very fast and quick out in space. In fact, with Javon Rich he's without question our best route runner on the team although he hasn't hit the national scene. With this group I don't think we have any player that is below the 6-foot height, so we are clearly expecting big things this year."
didn't this n*gga commit like a month ago? now he decommit man these n*ggaz need to make up their mind...i'm sure he will be a CAne again but they be pullin b***h moves
 8 years ago '04        #5469
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Has Randy Shannon's "seat" ever been cold?
> Posted by Shandel Richardson at 12:51:13 PM

CORAL GABLES _ Last week Rivals.com compiled a list of coaches who were under the most pressure this season.

Among them was UM coach Randy Shannon.

Rivals.com analyst Mike Huguenin, a former Orlando Sentinel editor, writes, "There are numerous coaches on the hot seat, the hottest other than [Notre Dame's Charlie] Weis' is the one under Miami coach Randy Shannon."

The question I have is has Shannon's seat ever been not hot?

It just seems he's been sitting on a flammable chair since taking over for Larry Coker. Is it fair? Probably not. But the whispers were there before he even coached one game because most felt Shannon wasn't the school's first choice. If Shannon were passed over, he was likely headed elsewhere, perhaps to be an NFL a.ssistant or something. The hire was a way to keep around one of the country's most successful defensive coordinators.

That novelty quickly wore off, as the sounds of the critics only magnified after a 5-7 record his first season. Last year's 7-6 finish was hardly enough to satisfy a rabid fan base and an administration that fired Coker after going 59-15 six seasons.

Shannon has downplayed all the "hot seat" talk by giving a similar answer to anyone who has asked if he has concerns about job status.

"I'm fine with that," Shannon said before spring practices began. " I got a job. My job is to win here. Everybody's always worried about, `Well is he going to get fired?' I don’t look at being fired. … The next year we’ve got to be better. That’s the key.”

The fact the Hurricanes are still trying to turn things around is probably because the program was in worse shape than many figured, but Shannon's coaching will take most of the blame from the public (Outsiders fail to remember it took Butch Davis six seasons to return UM to the top of college football.)

And that public reaction, meaning from fans and boosters, is likely the reason Shannon is still awaiting a contract extension. Anyone who doesn't think this can affect an administration's decision is crazy. Because it does. Athletic director Kirby Hocutt has publicly supported Shannon, and said he expects him to be around for a while. I believe him.

Unfortunately, in this serious business of college athletics, words only go so far.

> Discuss this entry
 8 years ago '04        #5470
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Malcolm Bunche has a diet different than most offensive linemen.

He's not the guy who plops down at a table at an all-you-can-eat restaurant and stuffs his face with fatty Malcolm bunche foods. For the last six years, Bunche has lived on a strictly organic diet. His family rarely eats processed food, and most of the groceries come from Whole Foods Market. The change helped Bunche evolve into a top-tier offensive tackle at Newark (Del.) High and why the UM coaching staff is anticipating his arrival this summer.

"We eat a lot of whole chickens, lots of oatmeal, vegetables," the 6-foot-5 325-pound Bunche said. "We don't eat a lot of supermarket brand. If I eat McDonald's, it's once every couple of months. Even then, it's a grilled chicken sandwich. I don't miss it. My mom can cook We eat good."

Bunche and his father, Curtis, made the decision after researching the dangers of unhealthy eating. Curtis Bunche played offensive line at Albany State and later in the NFL. Malcolm Bunche said there has been noticeable difference. He was able to get in shape faster

"Oh, I really feel a lot better," said Bunche, who estimates his body fat at 18 percent. "It was so much easier to get in shape. I don't have a lot of fat. I have a lot more lean mass and muscle. I'm also a lot faster than I was."

Bunche has impressive physical attributes. He benches 390, runs the 40 in 5.1 seconds. His high school coach, Butch Simpson, calls Bunche "just a pup" because he's only 17. That means he's nowhere near finished growing.

"It's not like he needs to get any bigger, but most young men aren't done growing when they're 17," said Simpson, who also coached former UM defensive lineman Orien Harris. "From that standpoint, it's kind of scary. He can walk into a weight room and sit down with 225 pounds and bench it 16 or 17 times. He's doing 345 and reps five or six times. He's a powerful guy."

Despite the power, agility may be Bunche's best a.sset. He played on Newark High's basketball team, which finished second in the state. Bunche failed to finish the season after suffering a stress fracture in his foot, but Simpson always made a point to take college coaches to the basketball games. It was a way for them to see his athletic ability.

"If you saw Malcolm run the floor, you wouldn't think he was 325 pounds," Simpson said.

Bunche was versatile enough to play all five offensive line positions in high school. He started at center before moving to guard and finishing at tackle. Last year, he rotated between guard and tackle, depending on the opponent.

"I want to be an all around athlete," Bunche said. "I want to be able to play on the left side as well as the right side. On the right side, I'm trying to build on my footwork."
 8 years ago '04        #5471
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Meet Jamal Reid
> Posted by Shandel Richardson at 7:53:24 PM

When Jamal Reid starts listing the positions he's played, it can take a while before he finishes.

There's wide receiver. Cornerback. Safety. Can't forget tight end. Quarterback. Running back. Kick Jamal reid returner. And punt returner. In short, when Reid begins the roll call, it sounds like Bubba from Forrest Gump talking about ways to make shrimp.

Reid was that versatile throughout his high school career at Lafayette High in Mayo, Fla., leaving the challenge for the UM coaches of where to play him. He was recruited as an athlete, but will mostly likely begin at cornerback.

"He's even kicked off for us," Lafayette coach Joey Pearson said. "If we ran a fake punt, he was the up back and we'd give him the ball. Literally, he did it all for us."

The biggest question surrounding the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Reid is the level of competition he faced in high school. He was a Class 1A all-state selections four times, and leaves as the school's leader in receptions, total yards, touchdowns and interceptions. He felt he answered the critics when he played in the Under Armour All-American Game in January in Orlando. Reid impressed throughout practice and had four catches for 65 yards and a touchdown in the game.

"I think they were shocked that I was from a little school," Reid said. "I know there have been a lot of great players to come from small schools. Not everyone in the nation comes from a 6A school."

Reid also comes from a winning program. He led Lafayette to a 10-1 record as a senior and went 42-5 during his career. Now, he just has to find a position. He said he enjoys playing wide receiver more, but feels somewhere in the secondary is his future.

Right now, he's preparing for the jump by participating in track and field and baseball.

In typical Reid fashion, he plays all three outfield positions.
 8 years ago '04        #5472
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Meet Shayon Green
> Posted by Shandel Richardson at 4:41:04 PM

With the spring concluded, it's time to look forward to the start of the 2009 season. The Hurricanes signed 19 players for the class, but six have already enrolled and began competing for playing time. For the next couple weeks, I'll introduce you to the remaining 13. Today's installment is linebacker Shayon Green from Tifton County (Ga.) High ...

Tifton County coach Jay Walls begins to chuckle before answering the question.

He's thinking back to the most impressive play made by linebacker Shayon Green in his Shayon career. There were many memorable moments, considering Green was a three-year starter and one of the top players in Georgia.

But one play will always stick out.

Tifton County was playing Brooks County in the regular season. Green's a.ssignment from the outside linebacker position was to hit the quarterback on the option. As expected, Green carried out his a.ssignment but the quarterback pitched to the running back just in time.

"After he hit the quarterback, we had a breakdown in our pitch coverage," Walls said. "He got up from knocking the quarterback down, ran down the (running back) and tackled the kid. It was just a special play."

That about sums up the athleticism of Green. At 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds, he's quick enough to run the third leg of his high school's 1,600 relay team. He's agile enough to compete in the 110- and 300-meter hurdles. And he's intelligent enough to learn one of the game's most complex positions in just one season.

Last year, Green moved to linebacker after starring at defensive end the three previous seasons. Despite the newness, he still was able to record a team-high 120 tackles, two sacks and force five fumbles at weakside linebacker in his team's 5-2 defense.

"I think it was a great move for me," said Green, who last ran the 40 in 4.59 seconds, but said it has improved. "It was good for me to be able to stand up (at linebacker). It was my first time playing. It took me a good two weeks to learn it. I had to learn my steps."

Green said the learning process was complete when during a game he read the guard's movement and it led him right to the ball-carrier. Since that moment, he's been earning strictly extra credit.

"What really stands out to me is his ability to run to the football," said Walls, his high school coach. "He's going to get to the football. I see him playing MIKE or SAM linebacker in college."

Tifton County is a town of just 20,000, but competes in the state's largest classification. The team was 8-4 last year and advanced to the second round of the Georgia Class 5A playoffs. So Green wasn't playing against small-school competition.

It is likely Green is an extreme talent if he receives Walls' endorsement. Walls is the former coach at Suwannee High in Live Oak, Fla. Sound familiar? Yes, he coached former UM cornerbacks Kelly Jennings and Bruce Johnson. Jennings was a first-round NFL draft pick, and Johnson is expected to be a late-round selection in April.

"Now, this is my third Miami guy," Walls said. "I think Miami would be pretty happy if he can get down there and be like the last two. I think that (Green) is going to see a lot of playing time at Miami. He's just got that ability to play on that level."
 8 years ago '04        #5473
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
UM football coaches asked senior basketball player Jimmy Graham to play football for the Canes next season -- they envision the 6-8, 256-pounder as a tight end. Graham, who is considering it, has good hands and played football in high school. Graham would have one season of football eligibility...Robert Marve will visit Purdue, Texas Tech and Nebraska this month, then decide where to transfer, his father said.
 8 years ago '04        #5474
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Miami Hurricanes' alumni reason why football team keeps attracting attention
BY LARRY BLUSTEIN

Having attended just about every University of Miami spring game for the past 20 plus years, I have had the opportunity to watch the way the Hurricanes have always commanded the respect of high school football players -- locally and throughout Florida.

While a 12-13 record is never something you want to showcase to your recruits, the reputation that follows this program is as easy as picking up a pro football magazine on the shelf of the local supermarket. Last Saturday, I found out that it makes little difference what the Hurricanes have done in the immediate past, it's what has gone on here since the late 1970s and early 80s that brings kids in from as far away as New Jersey and as close as Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

While I have always had the answer to why football recruits pay little or no attention to the record of the Hurricanes, it's those alumni that might hold the key. Watching an Alonzo Highsmith, Jon Vilma, Ed Reed or Leon Searcy on the sideline, mixing with 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds is something you rarely see any place else in the country.

IT'S ALL CLEAR WHY

As I sat in the stands last Saturday watching the the Hurricanes play in front of just about 10,000 fans at Lockhart Stadium, it all came into focus why they attract throngs of high profile players to come watch. It's something that doesn't exist when 90,000 fans pack into Tuscaloosa for an Alabama spring event. It's not present when the Florida Gators bring in 55,000 to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium or when Ohio State gets 60,000 to come into the Horseshoe in the middle of April.

As I watched Lamar Thomas trot back and forth with Danny Stubbs, Dave Heffernan and others along the sideline, it reinforced that the past of this program is so strong, and the mystique is still so vivid, having a Brandon Linder, Jeff Luc, Lamarcus Joyner, Ivan McCartney, Jakhari Gore and James White in attendance was a given.

Whether many recruits are looking at Miami as an option or not, it's that attraction -- like a strong magnet -- that pulls these budding stars in the direction of the University of Miami football program, and it's not likely to change as this program is certainly on the verge of producing more stars who will only add to that mystique and aura that four decades of winning and churning out professional talent brings.

To see a Vinnie Mauro, Mike Anderson, Mike Palardy, Turner Baty, David Perry, Tommy Heffernan, Brandon Doughty and Justin Birkenholz in the stands, watching the spring game only adds to the lists that have been in attendance throughout the years to be a part of that tradition and take part in something that Miami has been known for during the past 35 years.

Perhaps no program in the nation boasts more players returning to give back than the ''U'' does. That is something that was started back with Michael Irvin and the Blades brothers and has continued.

GIVING BACK TO UM

Much of the talk at a post game party last Saturday afternoon at Miami Prime Grill in North Miami Beach centered around the very fact that Miami players have always given back. That event, put on by 790 The Ticket, truly backed that up.

From Joe Mira to Don Soldinger, Art Kehoe, Gerard Daphnes, Twan Russell, Bobby Harden, Eddie Edwards, Wesley Carroll, Don Smith, Willie Smith, Kenny Calhoun, K.C. Jones, James Burgess, Melvin Bratton, Yatil Green, Ryan Collins, Chuck Hirschenson, Anthony Hamlett, Kelvin Harris, Duane Starkes, Carlos Huerta, Edgar Benes, Don Bailey Jr. and Donnell Bennett, these standouts came out to show how special the program has been through the years.

It's little surprise why Brian Robinson, Tony Grimes, Keion Payne, Max Belieau, Desmond Bozeman, Gideon Ajagbe, Reginald Moore, Alec Ogletree and Louis Nix were on hand as well!
 8 years ago '04        #5475
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Scouting the ACC's special teams

April 7, 2009 9:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

Coaches often emphasize it, but the casual football fan often underestimates it -- the importance of special teams. It was a phase of the game Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson agonized over last season and resolved to fix, starting this spring. It was also a priority of UNC coach Butch Davis this spring.

Considering the numerous specialists who have graduated, it's an area of concern for several teams across the conference this spring. The biggest names gone from a year ago are: FSU's Graham Gano and Michael Ray Garvin, UNC's Brandon Tate, Wake's Sam Swank, and Virginia Tech's Dustin Keys.

Here's a quick breakdown of the top specialists returning from a year ago:

PLACEKICKERS

Matt Bosher, Miami -- He is a frontrunner for this year's Lou Groza Award, as Bosher is the leading returning placekicker in the nation in field goal percentage. He made 18 of his 20 attempts last year and was a semifinalist for the award.

Josh Czajkowski, NC State -- He made 16 of 19 field goals last year (84.2 percent), his longest being 42 yards.

PUNTERS

Travis Baltz, Maryland -- He led the ACC with a 41.1 yard average and had 24 land inside the 20-yard line with 18 result in a fair catch. Baltz ranked 43rd in the NCAA.

Bosher -- His double duty included a 40.3 yard average with 19 inside the 20, and he led the ACC with 24 that resulted in a fair catch.

Brent Bowden, Virginia Tech -- His longest was 57 yards, and he averaged 40.4 yards per punt. He'll be a senior this year.

Kevin Jones, Duke -- In his second season as a starter, Jones led all ACC punters in pinning opponents deep inside their own territory. At least 27 of his punts landed inside the 20-yard line, and he ranked second in the conference in punting with a 40.8 average. Duke allowed only 5.7 yards per punt.

KICK RETURNER/SPECIALIST

Torrey Smith, Maryland -- Smith set an ACC single-season record last year for kickoff return yardage, with 41 returns for a total of 1,089 yards. He broke the record during Maryland's bowl game when he returned one 99 yards for a touchdown against Nevada in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Travis Benjamin, Miami -- He was an exciting player to watch and led the ACC in punt returns with 11.3 yards per return. His longest was an ACC-best 44 yards. He averaged 22.5 yards on kickoff returns.

Bruce Carter, UNC -- The Tar Heels' third-leading returning tackler made a name for himself last year when he blocked an ACC-record four consecutive punts. The first three came against then-ranked No. 25 Connecticut and the fourth came against Miami.

T.J. Graham, NC State -- He came close to setting an ACC record in kickoff return yardage, as his 974 yards on 41 returns was the third-best single-season total in ACC history. He also ran one back 100 yards for a touchdown.

Dyrell Roberts, Virginia Tech -- He finished fifth in the ACC in kickoff returns as a freshman, with an average of 24.8 yards.

C.J. Spiller, Clemson -- He racked up an ACC-high 1,170 all-purpose yards, helping the Tigers on both punt and kickoff returns.
 8 years ago '05        #5476
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,894 | Props total: 289 289
 Cap Peeler said:
UM football coaches asked senior basketball player Jimmy Graham to play football for the Canes next season -- they envision the 6-8, 256-pounder as a tight end. Graham, who is considering it, has good hands and played football in high school. Graham would have one season of football eligibility...Robert Marve will visit Purdue, Texas Tech and Nebraska this month, then decide where to transfer, his father said.
lol funny story how i meet jimmy graham...it was my dudes 21st birthday and we went to the hardrock i forgot the name of the club but it wasnt passions, it was the other one...ne ways im there getting drunk and theres this tall a.ss dude with our party and it just happend to be him, but before i was all like who the f**k are you, thought he was just some random dude
 8 years ago '04        #5477
booie4 
space
space
$4,870 | Props total: 582 582
props on the article's Cap
 8 years ago '07        #5478
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,223 | Props total: 459 459
it must be quiet in miami

but props on all the articles

im tired of mediocre seasons but this season should be better because our depth is 10x better.

our season rests on the offense tho
 8 years ago '04        #5479
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Miami Hurricanes’ First-Round N.F.L. Draft Streak Nears a Likely End

* Sign In to E-Mail
* Print
* Single Page
* Reprints
* ShareClose
o Linkedin
o Digg
o Facebook
o Mixx
o My Space
o Yahoo! Buzz
o Permalink
o

Article Tools Sponsored By
By JUDY BATTISTA
Published: April 11, 2009

The streak lasted so long that during its span, Warren Sapp crafted a Hall of Fame-caliber professional career, retired, finished a season on “Dancing With the Stars” and began a second career as an analyst on the NFL Network.
Skip to next paragraph
Multimedia
Ending a Draft-Day StreakGraphic
Ending a Draft-Day Streak

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.
Go to The Quad Blog
Division I-A

* This Week’s Games
* 2008 B.C.S. Rankings
* A.P. Poll | USA Today
* Scores: Top 25 | All Div. I-A
* Conferences and Teams

Small Colleges

* Div. I-AA | Div. II | Div. III

It wound through so many generations of football players that Sapp stumps people with a trivia question: who was the highest-drafted University of Miami player the year before the streak started? (Running back Donnell Bennett, second round in 1994, by Kansas City.)

The streak has hung on for so many years that when Sapp spoke to Kenny Phillips, who saved the streak when the Giants chose him with the final pick in the first round last year, he welcomed him to an extraordinary Hurricanes club.

“I said, ‘Way to keep the streak going,’ ” Sapp recalled recently. “It’s a common bond with someone who is 13 years removed from me.”

Sapp and Phillips are the bookends of a singular period of Miami football dominance: at least one Hurricanes player has been selected in the first round in 14 consecutive N.F.L. drafts. But Miami’s fortunes on the recruiting trail and the football field have suffered in recent years — no national championships since the 2001 season, and a losing season in 2007.

Even if Miami’s absence from college football’s loftiest ranks is just temporary, as most recruiting experts and N.F.L. personnel executives believe, it will take its toll this month. The streak — and one of the Hurricanes’ favorite trash-talk fodder — will almost surely end. When the college draft begins April 25, cornerback Bruce Johnson could be the only Hurricane drafted, and probably not before the fourth round. Years of the draft being colored in orange and green will fade to black.

“My streak ends,” Sapp said, sighing. “It’s something we took immense pride in.”

Still, with the dispersal of talent to more colleges than ever — players from football lesser lights like Troy (Leodis McKelvin), Delaware (Joe Flacco) and Tennessee State (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) were selected in the first round last year — Sapp may not have to worry about Miami’s record being matched. Elias Sports Bureau found Louisiana State has the next-longest current streak of first-rounders (five). Recruiting powers like Southern California (one) and Florida (two) are well off Miami’s pace.

And it is unlikely that any program will touch Miami’s mind-boggling run early this decade, when it had four first-rounders in 2001, five in 2002, four in 2003 and an N.F.L.-record six in 2004.

Miami nearly scuttled football in the 1970s, and it still fails to sell out games against anybody but its biggest rivals. But Howard Schnellenberger, the coach who revived the program in the 1980s, laid the groundwork for the streak by eschewing most out-of-state recruiting and mining talent-rich South and Central Florida.

From those areas came Michael Irvin, Bennie Blades, Jerome Brown, Ray Lewis, Phillips and Sapp. All were first-rounders. Schnellenberger started a slogan: “Pipeline to the pros.”

“We caught all kinds of flak,” Schnellenberger, now the coach at Florida Atlantic, said. “The university hierarchy thought it was guff because it was emphasizing pro football as an end to the means.”

Without the lavish facilities and tradition of Texas and Michigan, Schnellenberger encouraged a culture that emphasized college and regional pride, binding the players to the campus and to one another. Its most obvious manifestation is that players, even deep into their pro careers, still return to Coral Gables to work out in the off-season.

With one coach after another leaving for pro jobs (Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis), those players provided continuity at Miami, filling, Schnellenberger said, the institutional role that coaches like Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden do at Penn State and Florida State.

The pros provided a powerful recruiting pitch on national television when they stood on the sideline at Miami games. And once the prospects came to Miami, the pros helped prepare them for their next step. When Sapp was there, Russell Maryland and Brown showed up. When Phillips was a freshman, he worked out with safety Ed Reed and running back Edgerrin James, both first-rounders.

When Ernie Accorsi, the former general manager of the Giants, visited the campus, Alonzo Highsmith, Micheal Barrow and Jessie Armstead were working out with Miami players.

“They give you tips — they teach you how to watch film,” Phillips said. “It does a lot for a guy who is 18 years old. My junior year, Ed said: ‘The way is paved for you. All you have to do is play.’ ”

Sapp and Phillips credit the influence of former Hurricanes for fostering sustained excellence.

“We were not going to bend those standards,” Sapp said.

Accorsi saw the not-so-subtle pressure up close when he went to campus to “box” the players (teams used a battery-powered reaction box to test quickness, explosion and change of direction). It was so hot that the dry-cell battery melted. Two players found a store that sold the hard-to-find battery. The test was on.
 8 years ago '04        #5480
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
(Page 2 of 2)

“They were going to make sure we were able to test them, a test players generally would duck, but not them,” Accorsi said. “Then they competed against each other like it was an Olympic trial. All the players put pressure on each other, current and past, to be relentless competitors.”
Skip to next paragraph
Multimedia
Ending a Draft-Day StreakGraphic
Ending a Draft-Day Streak

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.
Go to The Quad Blog
Division I-A

* This Week’s Games
* 2008 B.C.S. Rankings
* A.P. Poll | USA Today
* Scores: Top 25 | All Div. I-A
* Conferences and Teams

Small Colleges

* Div. I-AA | Div. II | Div. III

But just as the decrepit Orange Bowl stadium crumbled a few years ago, so did Miami’s supremacy. There are many theories why Miami did not produce a top pro prospect this year. Schnellenberger says coaches tried to recruit too much nationally, forsaking their backyard. He also notes that Miami’s decline has coincided with a failure to find a top-flight quarterback.

And as bowl games and cable channels showing college games have proliferated, more teams play on national TV. That has helped put lower-profile teams on the recruiting map. On national signing day in February, Miami Pace defensive back Kayvon Webster, who had committed to Miami, signed with South Florida.

Tom Luginbill, the national recruiting director for ESPN’s Scouts Inc., says Miami’s recruiting dip started after the 2003 season. For years, Miami had its pick in South Florida. But then Florida, Florida State, South Florida and others in the Southeastern Conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference began plucking their share.

“They just weren’t getting the same caliber of player as they had gotten before,” Luginbill said. “I don’t attribute it to anything other than maybe they had a little dip in effort, but more than anything else, streaks come to an end.”

Larry Coker, fired as coach after the 2006 season, has been blamed for what is perceived as lackluster recruiting. He won the national title in 2001, his first season after replacing Davis, and the Hurricanes lost to Ohio State in the title game the next season. Then the slow slide began.

“The overall talent in South Florida wasn’t as good as it has been as far as really great talent,” said Coker, the coach for the new football program at the University of Texas at San Antonio. “The key for Miami is always the talent level in South Florida. When I left, I think there was good talent. Were there six first-round draft choices? Obviously not, but the talent was good.”

The recruiting analyst Tom Lemming says he suspects Coker’s efforts were also hampered when Miami moved to the A.C.C., from the Big East, in 2004.

“They dominated everything before that, and they had trouble after that,” Lemming said. “They helped elevate the rest of the A.C.C. They started losing more than they did. Miami would still be Miami if they’d stayed in the Big East.”

But everyone agrees that Florida Coach Urban Meyer has hurt Miami the most. Meyer arrived in Gainesville in 2005, and the Gators have won two national championships since. They play in a raucous stadium and on national TV. That has helped Meyer make inroads into what had been Miami recruiting territory. He has in turn elevated the rest of the SEC.

The most startling example of how things have changed: Bryce Brown, a running back from Wichita, Kan., considered by many the top recruit this year, committed to Miami last year but continued to visit other colleges. In February, he signed with Tennessee — even though his older brother plays for Miami.

Sapp was outraged by Brown’s about-face — “What an idiot,” he said — but Lemming blames something else.

“It’s no longer the place to be,” Lemming said of Miami. “Now, U.S.C. is the place to be.”

Maybe, but perhaps not for long. When he replaced Coker two years ago, Coach Randy Shannon adopted Schnellenberger’s strategy of recruiting in South Florida. In 2008, more than half of his class of 33 signees was from the area, and it finished near the top of nearly every recruiting class ranking. This year’s class ranked as high as 11th, landing 6 of the top 150 recruits, according to ESPN.com rankings.

“They have some good young guys,” Baltimore Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said. “They’ll be back.”

He should know. Newsome’s hand is all over the streak — the Ravens drafted Lewis and Reed.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
196 comments
2 days ago