Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
57 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
76 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He got three girlfriends, could you handle that?
88 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uruguay has been hit by the Instathot nation
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5421
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Edgerrin James, Javarris James hoping for rebound in '09

Buy PhotoUniversity of Miami running back Javarris James stretches during spring practice. NISSA BENJAMIN / MIAMI HERALD STAFF
Photo
Related Content
UM's Jared Campbell lifting his game, inch by inch
Blog | Eye on the U
Chat with other UM fans
By BARRY JACKSON

Hurricanes running back Javarris James and his ex-Canes cousin Edgerrin James are waiting and hoping -- Javarris for an injury-free season, Edgerrin for a divorce from the Arizona Cardinals.

After a terrific freshman season (802 yards, 4.7 per carry), Javarris battled injuries and mustered 582 yards (3.7 per carry) in 2007 and 286 yards (4.2) in nine games in 2008.

Javarris thought he would be at UM for three years and admits that turning pro was ''tempting, but I didn't have a healthy season and I didn't really accomplish nothing here.'' James said his freshman year was ''good,'' his sophomore season ''average'' and ``last year was my downfall year.''

Coach Randy Shannon has challenged him to rebound. ''He had early success and everything was so easy,'' Edgerrin said. 'You've got to continue to have that hunger. The hunger is more than just showing up and putting in the workout. . . . Life is challenging him. I was working out and I said, `Man, you see what I'm doing? I'm working without someone telling me I have to be here.' I told him he's got to work much harder than in the past.''

Javarris said, ''Maybe I need to work out harder. I don't know how that's possible.'' He said Mark Whipple's offense ''is going to be fun,'' with more chances in the passing game.

Edgerrin said, 'Whipple understands the type of player he's dealing with. I never thought Javarris' style was shotgun and gadget stuff. His thing is line up like the pros do.''

Competition is fierce, with Lee Chambers, Mike James, Damien Berry, and eventually Lamar Miller pushing James and Graig Cooper. ''My job is to make sure they don't take my job away,'' Javarris said.

Edgerrin, the NFL's active rushing leader and 11th all-time, wants out of Arizona after losing his starting job in November, despite postseason playing time. Though many expect Arizona will cut him instead of paying him $5 million in 2009, general manager Rod Graves told The Arizona Republic that until ``we feel it's prudent to release him, he's here. He's still very effective.''

Said James: ``The sooner the better. That's not what I came there for [to be a backup]. I may never get the credit, but I've only been involved in one losing season. I've carried myself the right way. To run for 1,200 yards in Arizona -- that's not easy. [Some] say I'm average. It's a joke. I'm 30, but I take care of myself. I'm going to come out on top.''

• One concern this spring: at least a half dozen drops by receiver Leonard Hankerson, who says he must stop ''trying to run before I catch it.'' . . . Determined to gain speed, Aldarius Johnson is losing 20 pounds (he's already down from 225 to 214): ``I couldn't move as I wanted to last year.''

• Adewale Ojomo, who replaced Marcus Robinson at first-team end (opposite Steven Wesley), said he has nearly a dozen spring sacks. ''At some point, you have to grow up,'' Ojomo said, citing his tardiness to class last year. ``I've done a complete turnaround.''

• Robert Marve's father, Eugene Marve, said Oklahoma State told Eugene it stopped recruiting Marve because of negative feedback from UM. (UM denies criticizing Marve.) ''Robert was very hurt,'' Eugene said, adding that his son will choose among Michigan, UCLA, Oklahoma, Purdue, Texas Tech and USF.
 8 years ago '04        #5422
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM's Jared Campbell lifting his game, inch by inch
Jared Campbell, always in the shadow of big brother Calais, is eager to make a mark of his own with the Hurricanes.
Related Content
Edgerrin James, Javarris James hoping for rebound in '09
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Last Saturday, when University of Miami strong safety Jared Campbell tackled tailback Lee Chambers for a goal-line loss during the first spring scrimmage, you could hear the approving roar of Campbell's fellow defenders -- and Campbell -- reverberate through Greentree Practice Field.

''This year, I've been a lot more enthusiastic,'' Campbell said. 'That play was third down. It felt good. Arthur Brown had made a play like that, and I thought, `I've got to make a play like that, too.' ''

Campbell, practicing this spring behind Randy Phillips, knows all about following.

It's tough being six feet tall when you have four older brothers who tower above you. It's tougher when one of those brothers, Calais Campbell, was drafted 50th overall in 2008 and played in the Super Bowl this past season -- his first in the NFL.

''He stole my inches,'' joked Campbell, 19, three years younger and eight inches shorter than 22-year-old defensive end Calais of the Arizona Cardinals. ``Calais is 6-8. I have another brother who is 6-5, another one 6-4 and another one 6-3 ˝. [Calais] stole my four inches. I always say that.''

Jared Campbell originally was offered a scholarship to play for the University of Washington but opted to join his big brother. The two are close and talk whenever possible, but the younger brother -- warm and friendly like Calais -- was not as gifted athletically.

``It was always competitive, and it was me trying to be better than my brothers -- but they set the bar.''

Jared played in two games on special teams as a freshman in 2007. Last year, he played sparingly on special teams against Charleston Southern and Florida State. He has yet to make a tackle.

''I messed up a little bit,'' he said. ``But I'm trying not to worry about the past by moving on and making sure I'm fundamentally good and giving a lot of effort.''

He knows he has never been alone in his accomplishments.

'My career has been different. It was always, `There's the little one. He's pretty good.' Then, when I came out here, Calais was the man and he got to the pros and there was a lot of, 'You've got to be just like that.' Calais works hard and hard work pays off. I've been doing that lately, but I guess I didn't put in enough effort in at first.

``That was a big shadow to follow. Still is.''

His goal for 2009? ''Do what I can to get on the field, contribute and help us win games,'' he said. ``I'm going to continue to work hard.

'Calais says, `Keep working hard. You're not starting now, but your time is going to come. If you keep working hard, you'll be ready when it does.' ''

• Adewale Ojomo has been elevated to first-team right defensive end after a dominant, two-sack scrimmage and another two sacks Tuesday.

• Tailback Graig Cooper is practicing with a splint on the ring finger of his left hand.
 8 years ago '05        #5423
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
MIAMI, Fla. -- Defensive end Steven Wesley recovered three fumbles, linebacker Sean Spence intercepted a pass, and defensive tackle Marcus Forston recorded a safety as the defense dominated the scrimmage on Thursday night in front of 4,000 fans at Traz Powell Stadium.

Senior linebacker Darryl Sharpton led the defense with eight tackles while youngsters Vaughn Telemaque, Ramon Buchanan, Arthur Brown, and Joe Wylie also had a good showing in the scrimmage.

"The defense did a lot of good things for us like creating turnovers," coach Randy Shannon said.

The defense held the offense out of the end zone for their first eight drives from the 35-yard line before Javarris James had a 6-yard touchdown run.

The offense finished with 366 total yards on 77 plays, only 4.8 yards per play.

"As a defense, they were very active as far as creating turnovers and putting pressure on the quarterbacks," Shannon said.

Defensive Line Breakdown

The first team defensive line was: LE Steven Wesley, LT Allen Bailey, RT Marcus Forston, and RE Adewale Ojomo.

Wesley had a very impressive night recovering three fumbles, one sack, and two tackles. He was promoted to first team this week after playing on the second team for a while. Wesley needed to have a good night and he got it as he turned in one of the best spring practices for a lineman.

Bailey had a solid day as well although he didn't have the stats Wesley had. Bailey is adapting well to defensive tackle and provides solid pressure up front even though tackles are hard to come by.

Bailey played alongside Forston, who filled in for Joe Joseph, who was not at the scrimmage due to class obligations. Forston got to quarterback Jacory Harris in the end zone to record a safety and also did well up front.

Ojomo is playing very well as of late and didn't slow down tonight. Ojomo also recorded a sack against LT Jason Fox. Ojomo is quick off the line of scrimmage, plays with intensity, and goes after the ball. He has the chance to be a very good player if he plays with more consistency and a sense of urgency.

Second-team defensive ends Gavin Hardin (two tackles) and Marcus Robinson (four tackles, one sack) were very productive on the stat sheet. Robinson got most of his work in late during the scrimmage as he's trying to show he can be solid against the run and pass.

When healthy, Eric Moncur still appears to be the team's top defensive end, but Adewale Ojomo is making a case to being a regular starter, again, he has to stay consistent.

Defensive tackles Josh Holmes and Micanor Regis were on the second-team. Regis had three tackles.

Linebackers Breakdown

There were a few shake-ups at linebacker with first-team WLB Kylan Robinson out due to class obligations.

Ramon Buchanan filled in for Robinson and played strongside, moving Sean Spence to weakside with Darryl Sharpton still in the middle.

Buchanan had four tackles including one for a loss as he showed very good quickness in getting to the ball. Buchanan is showing excellent lateral speed this spring and is making a case for being counted on this fall. He's more than capable of playing at a high level in his career.

While Buchanan's burst is great, so is MLB Arthur Brown's. Brown had four tackles, but was around the ball a lot all night long. He plays with a lot of downhill speed when attacking a ball carrier and is a sure tackler.

Sharpton is starting to step up like coach Shannon wanted him too during his senior year. Sharpton had eight tackles and popped Richard Gordon to free up an interception for Sean Spence. Sharpton could be a big key to the defense this year if they are going to be successful. Sharpton doesn't have great speed outside of the tackles, but inside the tackles, he's very active and not afraid to go after the ballcarrier.

Spence had an interception he returned 20 yards before getting pushed out of bounds and also had three tackles.

Walk-on freshman Sean Goldstein (6-0, 225) from Dresher, Pa. played strongside linebacker tonight on the second team and recorded a pair of tackles. Goldstein has not received a lot of reps this spring, but took full advantage of the time tonight.

C.J. Holton, who was playing safety throughout the spring, switched to strongside linebacker tonight. I talked with Coach Shannon after the scrimmage to see if this was a permanent move and Shannon said it could be, but they needed someone to play linebacker with a few players out.

Defensive Backs Breakdown

DeMarcus Van Dke and Brandon Harris were paired on the first team to start the scrimmage with Ryan Hill and Sam Shields as the second-team cornerbacks.

Randy Phillips and Chavez Grant were the nickel backs on the first and second teams respectively.

Harris followed up a strong practice on Wednesday with three tackles and a pass breakup. He had another strong showing.

Hill gave up a 43-yard reception to Leonard Hankerson deep down the sideline and Phillips allowed a 25-yard touchdown reception also to Hankerson. The junior wideout would have torched another defensive back for a big play, but dropped a pass against Van Dke.

Telemaque had five tackles and did a good job of tackling the ballcarrier low. Miami needs a safety to make tackles so this was definitely a bright spot. JoJo Nicolas started alongside Telemaque although the job could be swaying towards Phillips, who also was active against the run and can make big hits.

Jared Campbell and Joe Wylie were the second-team safeties. Wylie had three tackles and a pass breakup.
 8 years ago '05        #5424
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
MIAMI, Fla. -- The University of Miami learned one thing in Thursday night's scrimmage - the offense needs work.

Quite frankly, it was a performance that looked all too similar to the past two years. At least one coach told me we were just vanilla following the scrimmage. The fans are looking for 31 flavors and something to get excited about and Thursday failed to provide that excitement.

To sum it up shortly, the 'Canes had 22 offensive drives. Jacory Harris was the quarterback in ten of those drives. Taylor Cook was the back up quarterback and he ran the offense in six of those drives. Cannon Smith was the third quarterback and he ran the team in six drives also.

In the offense's first eight drives, they got two first downs and went three and out three times, went four and out once, had an interception and two fumbles. The other drive lasted four plays.

In all, outside of Graig Cooper's 38-yard run to the 23-yard line in the fourth drive, the 'Canes amassed a sad 42 yards on 26 plays. Include Cooper's 38-yard run and that's 80 yards on 27 plays, not exactly numbers that make fans jump out of their seats.

It wasn't until the ball was fed to Javarris James on six of seven plays against a defensive line that had three second stringers on the field that the offense finally got going.

In all, the 'Canes scored only once when taking the ball from the 35-yard line, a James 6-yard touchdown run to cap the ninth drive. The drive was led by Harris, but he threw only one pass on the drive, a seven-yard completion to Richard Gordon.

Harris later threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Leonard Hankerson on a post corner when the 'Canes took possession at the 25-yard line. Hankerson beat Randy Phillips to the corner. Hankerson left another chance at a big play on the field when he dropped a perfect pass from Harris on a bomb down the field. Hankerson had a couple of steps on DeMarcus Van Dke, but simply dropped the ball, something that's become too common with him.

Harris was also the quarterback when freshman Mike James came up with a 33-yard touchdown run on a draw play. The 'Canes started that drive at the defense's 35.

The other two scores came on field goals by Jake Wieclaw from 20 and 28 yards. Cook led one drive and Smith led the other. In both situations, the 'Canes started the possession at the 50-yard line.

Cook hit Hankerson on a 43-yard bomb giving the offense possession at the seven. Hankerson beat Ryan Hill on the play, but the 'Canes stalled after that. The next possession a 29-yard run by Cooper set up a 20-yard field goal by Wieclaw when Smith's foot was stepped on by an offensive lineman on third-and-goal from the one.

Overall, the 'Canes offense turned the ball over almost as many times as it scored in 22 possessions. Scores - 5, Turnovers - 4.

There were a few bright spots. Cooper was one of them. He led the offense with 14 carries for 112 yards, had runs of 38, 29 and 17 yards. He ran with some vigor and broke tackles on runs, something he's not done before too often.

Freshman Mike James battled hard. His first run went for 14 yards. Then he was back and forth between positive and negative runs until breaking a 33-yard run up the middle. What he showed on that play was the ability to read the blocking and use it to his advantage as he cut back on a draw play, burst up the middle and beat the defensive backs to the end zone for a touchdown. James finished with 13 carries for 46 yards and a touchdown.

Javarris James looked real good on the one drive he led, but other than that, he didn't get many other opportunities. He rushed eight times for 55 yards and a touchdown.

Junior Damien Berry rushed 10 times for 34 yards and a long of 18.

Harris finished the scrimmage 8 for 12 for 63 yards, a touchdown and an interception, but it was a far cry from his performance in last Saturday's scrimmage at Greentree when he completed his first 17 passes. He simply didn't look sharp and still clearly growing accustomed to quarterbacking from under center.

There is a major drop off though between Harris and Cook who is the 'Canes back up right now.

The offense finished with 366 total yards on 77 plays, only 4.8 yards per play. Hopefully, there will be more reasons to get excited at CanesFest March 28th at Lockhart Stadium when the 'Canes play their annual Spring Game.

Rushing

Graig Cooper 14 carries, 112 yards
Javarris James 8 carries, 55 yards, 1 TD
Mike James 13 carries, 46 yards, 1 TD
Damien Berry 10 carries, 34 yards
Jacory Harris 4 carries, -8 yards
Taylor Cook 1 carry, -2 yards
Cannon Smith 5 carries, -9 yards

Passing

Jacory Harris 8 for 12, 63 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int
Taylor Cook 4 for 8, 62 yards
Cannon Smith 2 for 4, 13 yards

Receiving

Leonard Hankerson 2 catches, 68 yards, 1 TD
Aldarius Johnson 2 catches, 21 yards
Richard Gordon 2 catches, 10 yards
Graig Cooper 1 catch, 9 yards
Mike James 2 catches, 5 yards
Javarris James 1 catch, 2 yards
LaRon Byrd 1 catch, 9 yards
John Calhoun 1 catch, 4 yards
Davon Johnson 1 catch, 8 yards
Patrick Hill 1 catch, 7 yards
 8 years ago '04        #5425
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
people need to quit overreacting. It was just a practice... a spring practice. Totally meaningless. Still a lot of time until the fall for these boys to get their stuff together. Everybody is gonna have their shining moment, the offense which they did last week and the defense. I'm glad this week was the defense's turn to dominate. Let's remember that in 2000 - 2003 the defense was always ballin in the spring and the offense was quite pathetic at times. And sh*t yeah we're way better Offensively this time with Whipple finally establishin a running game from the I, Strong-I, Singleback; unlike what the moron Nix was doin from the shotgun all the damn time.
 8 years ago '04        #5426
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
i was gonna stop by traz powell and catch the scrimmage but got caught up in some sh*t....good to hear the defense is doin their thang, i'm not worried about the offense they'll come around
 8 years ago '05        #5427
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
lmao i guess nobody cares that bryce commited to tenn...lmao oh well good riddance
 8 years ago '08        #5428
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,015 | Props total: 166 166
 Deeangoe said:
lmao i guess nobody cares that bryce commited to tenn...lmao oh well good riddance
Oh they care...They care...:lachen001: F*ck Brice though..
 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM         #5429
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lamar Miller > Bryce Brown.

/Bryce Brown discussion.
 8 years ago '04        #5430
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
Ex-Miami QB narrows choices to six

Story Highlights
The former Miami quarterback departed following his redshirt freshman season
Michigan, Purdue, UCLA and Nebraska are among six schools still in the running
Per NCAA regulations, Marve will be eligible for two seasons, starting in 2010

By Andy Staples, SI.com
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
robert.marve.jpg
Robert Marve narrowed his search to six.
David Bergman/SI
ADVERTISEMENT

TAMPA, Fla. -- One of college football's most sought-after free agents has narrowed his list to six finalists, but his final decision probably won't come for more than a month. Former Miami quarterback Robert Marve, who left the Hurricanes after his redshirt freshman season, hopes to choose a new school after visiting Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue, Texas Tech, South Florida and UCLA.

Marve, who spent Saturday on USF's campus helping to coach players from alma mater Plant High in a seven-on-seven tournament, said the second time through the recruiting process differs drastically from the first. Coaches' sales pitches get taken with a larger grain of salt. "Definitely it's different," Marve said. "You kind of take things more realistically."

Per NCAA transfer rules, Marve will have to sit out the 2009 season. He'll be eligible to play two seasons beginning in 2010. Marve started 11 games in 2008, throwing for 1,293 yards with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions while splitting time with true freshman Jacory Harris. Marve was suspended for Miami's season opener and for the Hurricanes' Emerald Bowl loss to Cal for violations of team rules.

After Marve decided to transfer, Miami coach Randy Shannon refused to release him to any ACC or SEC school or to any school in Florida. An appeals panel amended Marve's release, allowing him to transfer on scholarship to any school except an ACC member, Florida, Tennessee or LSU.

Whichever school Marve chooses will get a player rested and ready to practice. "I've been kind of bored at home," Marve said. "All I do is lift weights and read books."

he really wanted to stay close to home :disdain2:

Last edited by KiNgJaMeS305; 03-16-2009 at 08:27 PM..
 8 years ago '05        #5431
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
atleast he has usf in his final 6 lmao
 8 years ago '04        #5432
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
i don't know who's more of a joke, this n*gga marve or bryce brown?

8 years ago '04        #5433
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,795 | Props total: 1400 1400
in the words of Homer J. Simpson...I have already forgotten their names
 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM         #5434
NYGallday 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
WEDABest

CANES ALL DAY

R.I.P SEAN TAYLOR

Shot outs to Ed reed,ray lewis,andre johnson,beason,hester

too many to name

we gon beast this year that defense aint no joke

:agreement6::agreement6:

Last edited by NYGallday; 03-17-2009 at 09:04 PM..
 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM         #5435
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Royal Palm Beach (FL) High School WR Chris Dunkley says he's "not worrying" about recruiting right now.

He certainly doesn't have much reason to worry.

The 5-foot-10, 164-pounder already lists over 20 scholarship offers, including Miami, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina.

After finishing last year with six punt returns for scores and three kickoff returns for touchdowns, he says he hears comparisons to former Canes Santana Moss and Roscoe Parrish.

But he says he's keeping everything open right now.

"I'm open to everybody, am weighing my options," he says.

Dunkley attended a Cane spring practice and spoke with coaches while there.

"I talked to coach (Aubrey) Hill and (Clint) Hurtt," Dunkley said. "They were talking about how I'm doing, things like that. They wanted me to come and watch the practice. I wanted to come and see how they run their practice. It was good."

Dunkley also plays defensive back in high school but is only being recruited for offense.

What's most important to him in a college program?

"A great offensive line and great quarterback," Dunkley said. "I want a good offense."

Dunkley says he will likely announce a college decision at the Under Armour All-American game - he's graduating high school early.

Of UM, he says "I like Miami a lot. I could see myself playing at Miami. I like how they have a pro style offense, the tradition at Miami."
 8 years ago '04        #5436
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
p***y a.ss gaytors keep running away from the canes

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ
Florida Sports Buzz: UM football is spurned by UF; UM rejects FIU
Get Adobe Flash player
Alex Ehrenzeller, a UM student, pretends to be bitten by a Florida gator statue outside the stadium on Saturday, September 6, 2008, in Gainesville. The game, won by UF 26-3, will not be played again until 2013 when the teams will renew their rivalry at Dolphins Stadium.
Buy Photo
Alex Ehrenzeller, a UM student, pretends to be bitten by a Florida gator statue outside the stadium on Saturday, September 6, 2008, in Gainesville. The game, won by UF 26-3, will not be played again until 2013 when the teams will renew their rivalry at Dolphins Stadium.
CHARLES TRAINOR JR. / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

* Photo

WEB VOTE
Do you think UM should play UF in every football season?
Yes, there is nothing better than a match between instate rivals. Yes, UF would be a measuring stick for UM's progress as a team. No, UF is a much better program and would regularly beat up on UM.
Your vote has been counted, thank you for voting.
By BARRY JACKSON

The Gators rejected another UM pitch for more frequent football games. Meanwhile, UM said it is dropping the FIU men's basketball series and has decided not to play FIU in any revenue sport anytime soon -- a result of the 2006 football brawl.

UM proposed playing UF in football twice every four years so every player can experience one home game against the Gators. ''Currently, there are no plans to play Miami past the 2013 game,'' UF athletic director Jeremy Foley wrote in an e-mail. ''This may change, but if it did, it would not be on a schedule of twice every four years.'' Foley denied broadcast speculation that UF wants to escape the 2013 game at Dolphin Stadium. (UM played at UF in 2008.)

On the FIU decision, UM's Kirby Hocutt said, ''There's history there,'' referring to the 2006 brawl in UM's 35-0 victory. (Miami won 23-9, without incident, in 2007.) ''This particular time, it's not in Miami's best interests'' to play FIU, said Hocutt, who will allow FIU matchups in nonrevenue sports. ''Will it change in five years? Ten years? I don't want to speculate.'' FIU AD Pete Garcia declined to comment.

The teams played in men's basketball this season, and four of the past five. The baseball series ended after 2008, doomed largely by friction between UM's Jim Morris and FIU's Turtle Thomas.
 03-22-2009, 10:35 PM         #5437
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lol guess we aren't the only ones who know what kind of talent we got brewing..
 8 years ago '04        #5438
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
DVD looking to rebound; Baby J hurt again

CORAL GABLES -- Part of what makes spring football exciting for college football players across the country is that it is an opportunity to put what could have been a bad regular season behind you. It's a chance to show coaches you are going into the fall -- when it matters -- with something positive to build off of.

DeMarcus Van Dyke Consider Hurricanes cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on that list. After a freshman season in which he started eight games, Van Dyke took a step back as a sophomore. He started only twice and often found himself lost in former defensive coordinator Bill Young's coverage schemes. When he had chances to make plays, he didn't make them. He dropped at least two interceptions and got beat for the winning touchdown catch in a loss to North Carolina. At one point during the season, he was regulated to playing only in Dime coverage situations.

"The one thing I think did well my freshman year was that I played with confidence," said Van Dyke, who has yet to record an interception "People thought my freshman year I was going to go out there and play scared. But I did what my coaches wanted me to do. My second year, it really didn't go that way, but I'm not worried about it, that's last year. I'm moving forward."

Consider Van Dyke ready to rebound.

He says likes the new coverage schemes in new coordinator John Lovett's defense because "we're doing a lot more technique stuff and playing from top down instead of bottom up."

Whatever new things the defense is doing, consider Van Dyke in dire need of doing them well. UM needs him to. The cornerback position is wide open -- and thin. Aside from Van Dyke, the only veteran corners are senior Chavez Grant (whose played nickel his entire UM career) and sophomore Brandon Harris. There are other veterans. But seniors Sam Shields (converted wide receiver) and Ryan Hill (safety last season) played other positions before this spring. The other guy in the rotation is freshman Brandon McGee (who is still practicing by the way despite reports of his broken finger).

The good news for Van Dyke (who missed the first week of spring with a knee strain injury he suffered during a track meet in January) is he's facing one heck of a receiving corps day in and day out.

"They can become the top receiving crew to ever come through Miami," Van Dyke said. "They have so many different styles. Laron Byrd can go deep and be physical. Aldarius [Johnson] too. Leonard Hankerson, he's big and fast. Tommy Streeter is tough. Kendal Thompkins, I call him the Roscoe Parrish of the group. Going up against them definitely makes you better. They're probably the best receiving group in the nation."

Van Dyke didn't make any interceptions at Tuesday's practice -- the first since the team's second scrimmage of the spring on March 12. But he did bat a few passes away during Tuesday's light workouts at Greentree Practice Field, which took place in shorts and helmets. Here are some more notes/observations...

Javarrisjames > THE NEWS OF THE DAY: Running back Javarris James will not be participating in the Spring Game this Saturday. James was working off to the side with trainers and appeared to be focusing on his left shoulder. The injury might have happened in the team's last scrimmage. UM Sports Information office didn't tell us what the injury was. It's definitely bad news for Baby J considering injuries have ruined his previous two seasons. A bum shoulder would be a new place for him. A neck injury slowed him as a sophomore. A high ankle sprain and sore groin slowed him even more last year.

> TOP PLAYS: Freshman running back Mike James continues to impress. He made a great catch on a pass over the middle deflected by safety Jojo Nicholas. James kept his eye on the ball and caught it in stride before racing into the end zone during 11 on 11 work; cornerback Ryan Hill made a nice interception reaching out with his back facing the quarterback to steal a pass away from receiver Davon Johnson; Johnson made up for it a few plays later when he broke free for about a 30-yard touchdown catch when both Chavez Grant and Sam Shields followed Laron Byrd over the middle, leaving Johnson wide open.

> Yes, I'm back on the beat. For those of you wondering where I was I had a double whammy when I got back from Providence Thursday. My best friend got married (I'm not making it up) and I moved into my new home. The Herald was nice enough to give me five days off in a row. I had to take advantage of every minute to get through both of those hurdles. I'll have my interview with athletic director Kirby Hocutt tomorrow.
 8 years ago '04        #5439
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Miami 3/24 Practice Notes (no contact, no pads)

Depth chart looks similar to the last scrimmage.

7 on 7 Highlights

Cannon threw 2 INTs, one each to Hill and Shields. WR's dropped a few balls, they seemed out of synch following Spring Break. For instance Smith threw 2 passes into the endzone, one to Johnson and one to Byrd, both dropped.

There was a seperate 7 on 7 drill that was blocked from the media and fans.

11-on-11 highlights

Harris threw a 70 yd TD to A. Johnson on a post route. Holton had an INT, followedby a Harris pass to Kendal Thompkins for a 30 yard gain. Benjamin also dropped a deep Harris pass. Street caught a TD pass from Harris under pressure.

Practice finished with 2-minute drills. Mike James caught a short pass and scored from 25 yards out.

Romeo Davis and Khalil Jones were among those watching.

Injuries - J James (undisclosed), Ojomo,(2 weeks precautionary),Dedri ck Epps, Joel Figueroa (participated 1/2 practice), and McCarthy. Eric Moncur participated in individual drills.

Tommy Streeter was back. No players were absent - hopefully the rumor of a player getting into some minor trouble over Spring Break in Tally are unfounded.

Matt Bosher punted for the first time in awhile.

Guests - South Plantation's high school team. Stephen Plein was there again.
 8 years ago '04        #5440
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Intangibles key in Miami's start to '09

March 24, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

There is no questioning the talent on Miami's roster. It's the intangibles that not even the staff can predict. They've got a new offense, a new defense, a new quarterback, and they're all trying to find some chemistry and get the program back to where they want it to be. They have the talent to do it.

Here's the thing, though. Miami's schedule simply doesn't allow the Canes any margin for error. There are no William & Marys to work out the kinks. The Miami Hurricanes have to play their best football in September, or it's going to be a long season.

Gut feeling? There will be no in-between for this team. Miami will either start the season 4-0 or 0-4.

The good news is first-year offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's confidence oozes down to the players, and receivers coach Aubrey Hill said they're picking up the offense quickly. For such a young team, they're preparing the right way, and that's critical.

"Sometimes you have a lot of young kids who say Yeah, I want to win, but don't really do the little things to win and then you have to call them out on it," Hill said. "We haven't had to do that at this point. And also, in fairness to those guys, they are very competitive. When you learn a new offense, you have some things you have to correct, but when you come out the next day, you're not having to correct the same mistakes. So, that's a good sign."

Receiver LaRon Byrd is also a good sign. He's been studying a lot of game film. Not just any game film, though, vintage Miami film.

"You get the best of both worlds -- you've got a great offense you can learn from and you can learn from great cornerbacks who played on the 2001 team," Byrd said. "Not to say that last year was a downfall year, but at the same time it's not the Miami way. Like coach Shannon always preaches, when you look at great teams like that, from the five national championships, everybody around here expects to win at least 10 games a year. Every great program has their downfall, but hopefully we're going to rise again. I think we can get it started this year right here."

Byrd is one of many young players on Miami's roster growing into his reputation. So are players like Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin and Aldarius Johnson. They're a young team carrying expectations similar to the 2007 Virginia Tech team that had veterans like like Macho Harris, Xavier Adibi and Brandon Flowers.

"It's such an unknown," Hill said. "When you look at Virginia Tech over the last several years, teams that have won the ACC championship, what they've done, you know the players they had. There are so many new names on our team, but at the same time, if they're not new names, they're fairly young. But at the same time, our coaching staff feels very comfortable that even though we have young players, to a certain degree they're proven because they've already played."

The Canes circled the first game, and that's it. Everyone knows they're playing Florida State, and the players and coaches refuse to look past the Noles.

"Maybe if you're somewhere else, not necessarily within the ACC, maybe you wallow and say wow, man, this is a tough schedule," Hill said. "At the University of Miami ... we feel we can compete and play against anybody."

They can't afford to start the 2009 season believing anything less.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
85 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
59 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
139 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy finishes whole pizza while getting drilled by Chris Hansen
158 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
51 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside BOSKOE100 mad at SOULJA BOY.. say he make the BLOODS look like clowns !..
81 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Couple Arguing Married 52 Years Lol
70 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Never noticed this from Scream 1
96 comments
1 day ago