Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Brother acts like little sister is invisible & she believes him
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Her ass is stupid thick
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
72 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5381
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Booker T. Washington High School DE Lynden Trail says yesterday's Cane commitment of teammate Quinton Dunbar "has a huge effect on me. I'm real good friends with him. Over at Booker T. we have something called the Big 5 - me, Eduardo (Clements), Quinton, Jose (Jose) and Ted (Meline). Basically we were planning on staying close, didn't know if we'd all go to the same college, but planed on staying close by with each other."

Trail says if he gets a Cane offer "of course they'd be in front."

For now he's receiving Hurricane mail.

"They're sending me letters, just started communicating with me a month ago," Trail said.

Last year the 6-foot-8, 220-pounder had 99 tackles, 22 sacks and two interceptions. He also played receiver and had seven touchdowns.

"They were on fade routes," he said.

Trail lists five offers so far: Tennessee, Florida, USF, Rutgers and FIU.

He says he plans to attend the UM Spring Game with Clements and Jose.

Trail says he will start narrowing down his college choices in the near future after discussing things with his Godfather.

And his Godfather is a big Cane fan.

"He can tell you what high school everyone came to on the roster, past players," Trail said.

Of what he wants in a college, Trail said, "Of course a winning program, a big-time DI program, anyone with my major because academics do come first. And anyone with a family oriented program and where I feel comfortable."

He says his former teammates now at UM "always tell me home is where it's at and it's a great program and that if you want to have that family feeling that you might as well stay home at UM."
 8 years ago '05        #5382
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
i heard clement commited to fsu...so much for staying close
 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM         #5383
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Deeangoe said:
i heard clement commited to fsu...so much for staying close
I heard something similar... something about it happening real soon.

Just a week ago he said Georgia was his favorite, but he's been a life long FSU fan I guess.

EDIT: Atleast we have great consolation prizes.
 03-03-2009, 10:30 PM         #5384
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Travis Benjamin, Demarcus Van Dyke and Brandon Harris returned to practice today after missing most of last week due to their track commitments.

"It was a fun experience just to be back in pads," Harris said. "I hadn't played football since the bowl game, so it was fun just getting back used to my chemistry with the team."

Benjamin (quadriceps) and Van Dyke (undisclosed) worked on the side with the injured players while Harris returned to action.

"I feel strong and confident on the field," Harris said. "It was different being out on the field since I've been in track the last two or three months."

Harris competed in the 60 and 4x4 relay - he ran a personal best of 6.9 seconds in the 60. His best split in the relay was 47.5 seconds.

"I started off below average - working with (track coaches) I feel a lot faster," Harris said. "Now I'm getting comfortable with the playbook, things like that."

Harris says he's put on 10 pounds since last season (he's up to 195 pounds) and has gotten stronger - "I went up 50 pounds on my bench and 100 pounds on my squat, so I've gotten a lot stronger," he said.

Harris says he's rotating in with the first and second groups at corner.

"By the end of the spring we'll see depth chart-wise," he said. "Right now we're competing, getting each other better."

His expectations for this year?

"I'm expecting to have a big year this year," Harris said. "I feel a lot more confident, am playing with a little more swagger. (I'll be) able to make a lot more plays on the field this year."

* Benjamin says of the new offense that "It's a very good system. It has me, Aldarius (Johnson), LaRon Byrd, Thearon Collier all on the field at the same time, and we're running all kinds of crazy routes. We're looking forward to a big season."

Benjamin has returned to his high school number, 3, after playing with 80 last year.
He says he's up to 175 pounds, having gained five pounds since last year.

"Hopefully I'll be 180-something (this season)," Benjamin said.

* Coach Randy Shannon was asked after practice how important it is that either Cannon Smith, Taylor Cook or AJ Highsmith (who arrives in the summer) step up and be a solid No. 2 quarterback.

"It's important," Shannon said. "You have to go through spring football and see who comes out, and whenever AJ gets here if he can fit into the mix great. If not, we'll have a second team quarterback (regardless)."

* Today's practice was the first one closed to the media (the rest are expected to be open to the media but closed to the public). Players said scores today came from Davon Johnson on a long bomb and from Mike James on a screen pass he took into the end zone. On defense Jared Campbell had an interception.

* Matt Pipho continues to work as a first-teamer at right tackle. He has played sparingly in the past.

"He's a fifth-year senior, and sometimes with offensive linemen it takes time to develop," Shannon said. "You look at Matt, he's a guy that's big, has long arms - what you want at offensive tackle. And when he stepped in against Virginia last year we didn't miss a beat, won the game."
 8 years ago '04        #5385
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Today was the fifth day of spring practices. Find out which players stood out, which players were on first and second team, which players were held out, and more in this practice report.

The team was in shoulder pads and shorts.

News & Notes

? Coach Randy Shannon has decided to open the rest of spring practices to the media. He previously had planned on just having the first four practices open. Today was the first day of closed practice, but they will be open tomorrow.

? WR Kendal Thompkins, wearing number 83, was wearing the white offensive jersey as a full-contact player. Thompkins was wearing the green non-contact jersey last week after recovering from a shoulder injury.

? RB Mike James caught a screen pass and took it the distance for a long touchdown. James is having a very good spring thus far as he reeled off a big 30-yard run last week as well.

? S Jared Campbell recorded two interceptions today. Campbell has been playing second-team safety alongside Joe Wylie.

? WR Davon Johnson scored a long touchdown in his first day back from practice after last week with the track team.

? CB Brandon Harris has added 10 pounds and says he has cut his 60-yard dash time down with participating in track. He says he feels a lot stronger compared to his freshman season. He has raised his bench press 50 pounds and his squat by 100 pounds since he arrived at UM.

? S Vaughn Telemaque nearly had an interception, but could not come up with it. He feels he should be making more plays in practice although the coaches are already high on him.

Freshman Watch

? There are six freshmen who have enrolled early: RB Mike James, OLs Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson, DE Oliver Vernon, DT Curtis Porter, and CB Brandon McGee.

? RB Mike James was all smiles as usual after practice in dealing with the media. James had a big day and is naturally easy to get along with. He'll be a fan favorite if he continues to perform.

Injury and Status Updates

? ? WR Kendal Thompkins, wearing number 83, was wearing the white offensive jersey as a full-contact player. Thompkins was wearing the green non-contact jersey last week after recovering from a shoulder injury.

? WRs Travis Benjamin and Davon Johnson, and Brandon Harris were back today for the first time after missing last week due to track.

? DE Eric Moncur, LB Colin McCarthy, CB DeMarcus Van Dke, WR Travis Benjamin, and K Matt Bosher were in uniform, but were the injured players who rehabbed before practice.

? TE Dedrick Epps (torn ACL) and OL Joel Figueroa (right arm surgery) will be out this spring.

Recruits in Attendance

There were no recruits at practice.

Next Practice

The Hurricanes return to the practice field tomorrow afternoon.
 8 years ago '04        #5386
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to booie4 again.
 8 years ago '04        #5387
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
bryce is gonna be watchin practice today by the way..

its gonna be pretty interesting
 8 years ago '04        #5388
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
10 minute video from the first practice

8 years ago '04        #5389
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
More Offers for Jeff Luc and some All-Star Game Invites
Feb 23rd, 2009
by admin.

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

Jeff Luc

Monday was another busy day for Treasure Coast Linebacker Jeff Luc. Syracuse and Michigan made official offers for the hard hitting linebacker. This runs the number up to 18 Division I offers for Luc since his highlight video first appeared on Gridironstuds.com. Both schools learned of Luc just last week after viewing his video on Gridironstuds. One week later, they dropped official offers on the table. Luc will also take a peek at the University of Miami this weekend on an unofficial visit. The Canes are bidding hard to have Luc become the next great linebacker at the ‘U’.

Also seeking Jeff Luc on Monday was both the Under Armour and Army All American Bowl. Both prestigious high school All Star games invited Luc to join them at the conclusion of this upcoming season. It’s been a fast pace for Luc this offseason and there is more to come his way. Stay tuned
 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM         #5390
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
True freshman DT Curtis Porter was asked today if spring practice is as hard as other players say it is.

"Only if you think about it," he says.

He adds that "It's totally different from North Carolina football. There's no way you can out-muscle players here. You're going against guys just like you. It's all about technique and who can get off the ball quicker."

Porter says he feels like part of the Cane family.

And that includes some teasing.

"(Other players) crack on me because I'm from North Carolina, my country accent," Porter said. "But I tell them they won't survive where I'm from because they're city boys.

"We just have fun, play around a little bit."

Porter also spoke about his typical spring practice day: "Wake up at 4:30 in the morning, get ready, head out by 5 to the Hecht, have to be here before 5:30. We weight lift, get out around 6:35, take a shower and head out to class."

The afternoon is spent at practice and in team meetings.

Then it's off to sleep and the process starts all over again.

* Freshman OT Jermaine Johnson says of his progress that "I'm getting more confidence, knowing what I need to do for coach (Jeff) Stoutland. It's been a learning process for me right now.

"Practice is fast. It's way different from prep school and high school."

Johnson is playing with the second team at left tackle behind Jason Fox.

"In Hargrave (prep school) I played right tackle, so it's hard for me with the left hand down because I'm not used to that," Johnson said. "I have to get used to that, knowing the technique and everything."

Johnson is hoping to get on the field right away.

"I think I'm improving every day," Johnson said. "I'm just in the learning process right now."

* On the first play of 11-on-11 work in full pads today, Kendal Thompkins took an end around and went 15 yards, diving into the end zone for a touchdown. On the next play Jacory Harris scrambled up the middle for a 15-yard score. In all, there were four touchdowns in the first eight plays - the others were on a Cannon Smith shovel pass to Damien Berry for an 11-yard touchdown and on a Taylor Cook 15-yard scoring pass to Daniel Adderley.

In inside run 11-on-11 drills Javarris James ran in 15 yards virtually untouched for a score, and Mike James scored on a run up the middle. Those were the only two scores in approximately 15 offensive snaps.

Other big offensive plays in the scrimmage situations included a 20-yard diving catch by LaRon Byrd and a short pass that was turned into a long gain up the right side by Richard Gordon. Harris also found a wide open Leonard Hankerson for a 30-yard gain.

The defense had a lot of sacks today, and its lone turnover came on a Chavez Grant interception of Harris returned for a touchdown.

Sacks came from Marcus Robinson, Allen Bailey, Steven Wesley, Jordan Futch, Olivier Vernon, Andrew Smith, Marcus Forston and Darryl Sharpton.

The defense won the final 11-on-11 drill, meaning the offense ran sprints at the end while the defense watched on.
 8 years ago '04        #5391
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- After missing the first week of spring football because of track, wide receiver Travis Benjamin is back to practicing with the football team.

Benjamin has been running indoor track, specializing in the 60 meters.

He said his personal best in the event is a 6.8 and Benjamin says he can already feel a difference in his speed in the football field.

"I have built up my speed and my quickness I feel," Benjamin said. "I feel like the last stage of my running, my top speed, has gotten a lot better. I feel my turnover is a little better during my drive phase out here on the football field. I feel like I can hold my top speed for longer."

As a freshman at Miami last season, Benjamin caught 18 passes for 293 yards and three touchdowns. This offseason, Benjamin says he is focusing on refining his skills as a receiver, specifically with his route running.

"I just want to come out here and be a better receiver all around," Benjamin said. "I want to run precise routes and catch the ball with looking it into my hands, and improve my blocking. I am just going to have a very good work ethic with what I do and work hard everyday in practice."

Benjamin says he is excited about the offensive scheme new coordinator Mark Whipple is installing at Miami.

"It is a very good system," Benjamin said. "They have all the receivers on the field at the same time and we are all running crazy kinds of routes. I look forward to a big season from our offense. It is similar routes and a similar scheme, but it seems like they are more precise."

According to Benjamin, the new offense will give the receivers more opportunities to make big plays.

"We can make way more plays than last year and try and get to the top level," Benjamin said.

Because of an ankle injury he sustained in the Virginia Tech game, Benjamin played sparingly in UM's final three games. He says he wants to get up to about 180 pounds by the end of next season so he can be more durable during the year.

"It was very hard for me to watch my teammates go out there and play when I know I could have been out there with them and made plays," Benjamin said. "When I get out there though I try and do the best that I can."

"I wasn't 100 percent but I knew I could have caught balls and gotten open and helped my team out. My team always looks for me to make big plays and when I got the ball, I did the best that I could to make big plays."
 8 years ago '04        #5392
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Now that Brandon Harris has a season of college football under his belt, he is playing with a new swagger.

Harris says he has a lot more confidence now that he knows what to expect from major college football.

"I am expecting to have a big year this year," Harris said. "I feel a lot more confident and I am playing with a little more swagger. I feel like I can be able to make a lot more plays this year."

"I think I was just feeling things out my freshman year and maybe playing a little timid here and there. I feel like after watching film and seeing my mistakes I will be a new player."

As a true freshman last season Harris totaled 30 tackles, one interception, and three pass breakups.

One reason for Harris' boost in confidence is the strength and speed gains he has made since the end of last season.

Harris has run indoor track for the past two months and has dropped his time in the 60 meters from 7.29 to 6.9 on the track. In the weight room Harris has gained 10 pounds--up to 195 pounds--while improving his bench press by 50 pounds and his squat by 100 pounds.

"I have seen my times drop tremendously," Harris said. "I started the season with below average times, but after working with coach Deem I have gotten a lot faster. I feel like my speed is better on the field too."

"The strength gain helps a lot as far as being able to jam guys and use my strength. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life right now and I feel like nothing can really bother me right now since I have been in the weight room."

Because Harris was running track during the first week of spring practices, Tuesday was his first day out participating with the football team. Harris says he now has to work his way up the depth chart since he missed the first week.

"I am kind of in the middle of the depth chart," Harris said. "We are all rotating and competing against each other. By the end of the spring we will see where we are at depth chart wise but really we are just trying to compete and get each other better."

Harris will have an opportunity to work his way up the depth chart though this Saturday when the team holds their first scrimmage. Harris says he knows this Saturday will be a big opportunity for him to show that he is an improved player from his freshman season.

"I think it will be very important," Harris said. "A lot of people want to see how much we have improved from last year to this year so it will be the first real live look, so Saturday is going to be a big day for us to show what we can do."
 8 years ago '04        #5393
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Today was the sixth day of spring practices. Find out which players stood out, which players were on first and second team, which players were held out, and more in this practice report.

The team was in full pads today.

Former Hurricane and current NFL superstar Ed Reed was at practice.

Another former Cane, Tanard Davis, was also at practice.

News & Notes

? TE Richard Gordon had a good practice Wednesday. Gordon turned a short pass into a 40-yard touchdown in which he forced many tacklers to bounce off of him. One thing that is apparent from watching the offense is that an emphasis is being placed on getting Gordon involved.

? CB Chavez Grant intercepted a pass from Jacory Harris intended for Leonard Hankerson and returned it for a touchdown. Hankerson slipped during the route on the play. It was the only interception of the day.

? The defense got to the quarterback today with Allen Bailey, Marcus Robinson, Andrew Smith, Steven Wesley, and Jordan Futch all recording sacks during 11-on-11 drills.

? WR Kendal Thompkins continues to look impressive as a slot receiver. Kendal is very quick with the ball after the catch and he often times can turn a short pass into a first down or long gain. During the red-zone drills Thompkins showed his explosiveness by taking an end-around for a 15-yard touchdown.

? RB Javarris James made a nice 20-yard touchdown during the inside run drill in which he displayed a nice burst through the offensive line.

? DE Andrew Smith replaced Steven Wesley as the first team defensive end today. Smith can get off the snap quickly and is a good pass rusher.

? QB Taylor Cook had an up and down day today. On one play Cook will throw a beautiful out-route and display great arm strength, but then he will struggle with his reads and make questionable throws. Cook needs to improve the spin he puts on the ball as well.

? LB Ramon Buchanan is a player who continues to impress with his sideline-to-sideline speed. He made a big hit on the sideline today that made the players on the sideline oooh and aaah at the impact. Buchanan has very impressive speed for a linebacker.

? Even though CB Brandon Harris just returned from track practices yesterday, he was working with the first team defense today.

Freshman Watch

? There are six freshmen who have enrolled early: RB Mike James, OLs Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson, DE Oliver Vernon, DT Curtis Porter, and CB Brandon McGee.

? DT Curtis Porter made a few good plays today during practice. During the inside run drill Porter got an impressive push on the pile and dropped the running back in the backfield. Porter says he has already dropped 20 pounds since he arrived at UM in January weighing 345 pounds and he is working hard to get down to 300 pounds.

Injury and Status Updates

? TE Tervaris Johnson was wearing a green jersey during practice which means he is a non-contact player.

? WR Travis Benjamin and CB DeMarcus Van Dke were held out of the majority of practice today with minor injuries they sustained during track season.

? DE Eric Moncur and LB Colin McCarthy are injured players who rehabbed during practice.

? TE Dedrick Epps (torn ACL) and OL Joel Figueroa (right arm surgery) will be out this spring.

Recruits in Attendance

? 2009 UM signee Stephen Plein was in attendance during practice.
 8 years ago '04        #5394
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Just from shaking the hand of freshman defensive tackle Curtis Porter, it quickly becomes evident what sets him apart as a defensive lineman.

Porter possesses some of the naturally strongest pair of hands to come through the University of Miami.

When he shakes a stranger's hands Porter's hands act like a vice grip and effortlessly squeeze so tight that it brings a brief moment of pain for those who are unsuspecting.

"Everybody is afraid to shake my hand, so I just pound fists," Porter said. "That is from wrestling during my entire life. I don't have a lot of weight room strength, but I have a lot of natural country man strength."

Porter can use those strong hands to firmly grip opposing offensive lineman and maneuver them in whatever direction he pleases. The UM coaches see a lot of potential in Porter's big body and they have told him that he has the tools to be a great defensive tackle for the Hurricanes.

"I want to just stay low and get stronger," Porter said. "The coaches say I can be the next Vince Wilfork and that is my plan. That is what I want to do. Right now I am just learning the small techniques of what it takes to be a good defensive lineman."

Porter says he likes the idea of being compared to Wilfork.

"Coach Hurtt says I have broad shoulders and that is why he compares me a little bit, but his shoulders are wider than mine. I can feed off of those comparisons because then I know what I can potentially become."

At this moment though, Porter says he understands he needs to continue to lose weight before he should expect to see significant playing time during next season. Porter says he arrived at UM weighing 345, but he currently weighs 325.

He would like to get his weight down to 300 pounds by the beginning of the 2009 season.

"Everyday I wake up at 4:30 in the morning and head out the door at about 5:00 and we walk all the way to the Hecht Center so that we can get to the weight room by 5:30 and then we lift until about 6:35 and then we take a shower and head off to class," Porter says of his daily workouts at Miami.

"We run a lot. That is one thing I have to get accustomed to because big boys like me don't like to run."

Porter says he has also changed his diet while at UM. He has stopped eating the country cooking of his mother back in North Carolina and began eating salads and grilled chicken sandwiches.

"I don't want to get too skinny though because I don't think it would look right on my broad shoulders," Porter said with a laugh.

When asked about his expectations for the 2009 season, Porter says he still has some work to do with getting his weight down and perfecting his technique on the defensive line, but he still feels like he should make an impact as a true freshman.

"Just give me time to learn the position and then I can show what I can do," Porter said. "I can be in the mix and be in the rotation."
 8 years ago '04        #5395
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Former Hurricane great Steve Walsh is one of the best quarterbacks ever at the University of Miami.

Walsh guided the Hurricanes to the 1987 national championship as a sophomore and earned all-American honors the following season as he was named the Football News College Player of the Year.

Walsh went 23-1 as a starting quarterback at UM and only Ken Dorsey threw more touchdown passes (86) in his UM career than Walsh (48).

"My time at Miami was amazing," Walsh said. "I have great memories of my time at UM. ...that culmination of talent, you just had explosive, championship-type teams."

The St. Paul, Minn. native was selected in the first round of the 1989 Supplemental Draft by Dallas and spent 11 seasons in the NFL for six different teams.

Walsh, 42, recently was hired at Cardinal Newman to take over their football program as the head coach.

"It's exciting," Walsh said. "Spring ball is coming up in May and that's going to be really exciting and the actual coaching part. Now is a lot of the motivating of kids to try to get them in the weight room and get them the things they need to do to get prepared for spring ball. And it's about recruiting kids from within the school to come out. There are definitely some athletes at my high school, you just have to get them out there and get them to play football."

Head coach Randy Shannon is 12-13 in his first two years at Miami and looking for his first bowl victory.

Shannon has put together solid recruiting classes thus far, but some former players feel, including Walsh, that this is the year to make a significant stride.

"As anybody that is a former player, we are hugely supportive of Randy Shannon and what he is doing, but we're concerned obviously," Walsh said. "We want to get back in the championship talk again and for me personally, this is the year they have to compete at a high level for the ACC Championship if you can say that they are making progress. That puts a lot of pressure on Randy and their quarterback, but I think they got talent now and now that talent has to rise up a little bit."

Miami had a number of freshmen earn playing time last season and a number of those players will need to make a big jump in year number two in order for the Hurricanes to compete for the ACC title this season.

"At this point they have played 13 games and for some of these guys, this is their second spring and that is when you stop sitting there thinking on the field and let your abilities take over. The talent should show," Walsh said.

Last year's starting quarterback Robert Marve has left the program, which opens the door for sophomore Jacory Harris to take over as the starter after throwing for 1,195 yards and 12 touchdowns as a true freshman.

"I've always liked Jacory," Walsh said. "I've always felt that he had the knack of putting the ball in the right place. The intangibles appear to be there. With his leadership skills, I like his quiet confidence. That's kind of how I played so I am looking forward to seeing him this year."

The Hurricanes have the day off today before returning to the practice field on Friday
 8 years ago '04        #5396
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Courtesy of my friend Brian "The Beast" London over at WQAM, UM coach Randy Shannon said on Hurricanes Hotline reiterated last night the Canes are done with recruiting. So, for those of you still faintly hoping the Canes might still take running back Bryce Brown, that's the coach's latest response to the indirect question.

This is from Manny's blog

03-06-2009, 02:07 PM         #5397
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I have a feeling he'll head to LSU. Close to Arthur, close to home. He can go in there and won't have to worry about too much comp, and he'll most likely play right away.
 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM         #5398
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
One of the most unique and versatile athletes in the country, much less Dade County is Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington defensive end Lynden Trail. However, up until today, Trail had offers from Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee and others but no offer from the biggest presence in south Florida, the Miami Hurricanes. That has now changed.

Lynden Trail is a tall speedy defensive end.
"I got the U offer," Trail said over text on Friday afternoon. "Man I feel great about this Miami offer. They're right up there with Florida and Florida State."

The offer comes just days after Trail's teammate wide receiver Quinton Dunbar committed to Miami. The Hurricanes also signed three of his former teammates in the class of 2008 so the a.ssumption would be that the Hurricanes sit in a very good position for Trail's signature. The 6-7 defensive end denies that a commitment is imminent.

"My Godfather is a UM fan, I grew up loving the U but this doesn't mean they're automatically my choice for colleges. But they are one of my choices."

Currently, Trail is competing in track following a big basketball season in which he averaged 25 points, 16 rebounds, 8 blocks and 5 a.ssists per game.
This dude needs to gain some weight... fast
 8 years ago '04        #5399
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Early scrimmage notes
> Posted by Shandel Richardson at 12:16:15 PM

CORAL GABLES _ Just left Saturday morning's scrimmage. I had to be here at BankUnited Center for the basketball game against North Carolina State. Special correspondent Kevin Clark will have a full report from the scrimmage this afternoon, but here a few observations:

-New offensive coordinator Mark Whipple is in full effect. The offense will be different. A lot different. It seems to get everyone involved. The running backs are catching passes out of the backfield. The tight ends get their chances. Jacory Harris is allowed to throw deep.

But here's the best part of this new offense: I watched for about an hour, and there wasn't a single bubble screen or quarterback draw. Progress.

-On defense, there are still a few tackling problems. Javarris James ran through Sean Spence on a handoff. Spence made a great play on the ball, but tried to go for the big hit. That's a big no-no when it comes to taking on a power back. Spence wound up on his back. This was a problem last year, as coach Randy Shannon addressed the issue often last season.

-Speaking of big hits, there were two that stood out. Arthur Brown nailed Lee Chambers on the goaline. All you could hear were pads popping and the "ohhs" from the crowd. The biggest hit belonged to Randy Phillips. He laid out Tommy Streeter (sorry M.H.) on a crossing route. Streeter's helmet nearly came out. He was on the ground for a few minutes before jogging off the field.

-Here's hoping Jacory Harris never gets hurt. He looks smooth out there and really accurate. Looks like his favorite targets are LaRon Byrd and Aldarius Johnson. The QB backups are a little shaky, and are going to need time. Cannon Smith made a bad throw that was intercepted and returned for a TD by Brandon McGee. Taylor Cook needs time as well.

-Bad news for McGee. Today was his last practice of the spring. He underwent finger surgery and will be out six weeks. Tough break for a kid who was looking pretty good so far.

-Kendal Thompkins is an early candidate for most improved receiver. Keep an eye on him. Also, you gotta like the grit of Daniel Adderley. He's been impressive, and may do just enough to earn some playing time. Remember, he had decided to transfer before changing his mind.

That's all for now. Gotta get back to the basketball game.

Check back later for the full report, and interviews.
 8 years ago '04        #5400
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Scrimmage highlights

CORAL GABLES -- Just watched the pregame ceremony to honor the four seniors on Frank Haith's basketball team. Too bad I was only one of about 2,000 on hand to catch it.

Enough about hoops for now. I'll be on hand to watch today's regular season finale against N.C. State. But I'm sure what most of U care about was how this morning's scrimmage went. I got to watch the first 12 drives before I had to leave for today's game. Here are some of the highlights (We aren't allowed to provide play by play)...

Jacory Harris started Saturday's scrimmage 17 of 17 before throwing an interception to Vaughn Telemaque > Quarterback Jacory Harris looked outstanding. He completed each of his first 17 pass attempts and led the first team offense to two scores on seven drives. The first scoring drive was highlighted by a 35-yard completion to Aldarius Johnson on the first play of the day. The drive ended five plays later when Graig Cooper scored on a 1-yard run. Harris was 4 of 4 on the drive with completions to Cooper, tight end Richard Gordon and fullback Pat Hill.

> The offense scored it's second touchdown on a drive orchestrated by Taylor Cook. But the drive was really led by running back Lee Chambers who made a series of great plays against members of the second and third team units. Chambers started the drive with runs of eight and 20 yards before catching a nice swing pass on 3rd and 13 and stiff arming his way to a first and goal at the 2. Three plays later, Chambers fought his way into the end zone on a 1-yard run.

> UM's third score came on a trick play two possessions later by the first team. Jacory Harris tossed a nice swing pass out to Graig Cooper who then pulled up and found a wide open Laron Byrd downfield for a 45-yard catch and run for a touchdown. It was a perfectly designed play. UM had been running similar screens and swing passes all day and the defense bit it hard.

Randy Phillips had the hit of the day Saturday, laying out redshirt freshman receiver Tommy Streeter across the middle. > The defense had a few highlights of its own. The two biggest hits of the day belonged to linebacker Arthur Brown and safety Randy Phillips. Right before Chambers scored his touchdown, Brown broke free at the goalline and crushed him back at the five yard line. Officials called the play back because of an offsides penalty (which wasn't believed to be called on Brown).

> Randy Phillips' big hit came against Tommy Streeter on a crossing pattern at the defense's 26-yard line on third down. Phillips laid Streeter out, who took several moments to get up after the hit. That drive ended with DeMarcus Van Dyke blocking a 41-yard field goal attempt by Jake Wieclaw. Wieclaw I'm told had another field goal -- one from 37 yards -- blocked by Adewale Ojomo.

> The defense produced two interceptions. Freshman Brandon McGee hauled in a terrible looking floater from quarterback Cannon Smith, then made a great return, racing down the sideline and diving into the end zone on a 35-yard return. Safety Vaughn Telemaque then ended Jacory's completion streak with a beautiful one-handed interception in the end zone. On the play, it looked like tight end Daniel Adderley ran the wrong route. It was still a nice play by Telemaque, who returned it out to the 25.

> There were a few players who picked up sacks. Adewale Ojomo and Steven Wesley, though, looked like they had the best day getting to the quarterbacks. Sean Spence had a number of tackles and did a really good job wrapping up.

> There were a number of recruits and high school coaches on hand watching the scrimmage. Most were local kids. I saw the five stars from Booker T. Washington on hand, Miami Northwestern's Todd Chandler (a UM commitment), a few kids from Monsignor Pace and Broward's No. 1 recruit, Lamarcus Joyner.

March 07, 2009 in University of Miami F

-----------

Jacory complete 17 of 17 passes. That's fu*king insane. :wow:
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
26 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Plano High School Curriculum: Beer Pong & Algebra Teacher Puzzy
92 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside The Rothschild Conspiracy explained in 4 minutes
87 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
370 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Envy talks about the difference between Diddy and 50 Cent (Drink Cha..
42 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
73 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
160 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Short niggas take a L. What else is new?
148 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy