Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #521
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 C.R.I.P. said:
Shannon Works Magic

[pic - click to view]

New Berlin (NY) Milford Academy RB Graig Cooper decommitted after the Canes fired head coach Larry Coker.

But then new coach Randy Shannon made Cooper a priority, taking his first-ever in-home visit as head coach with the 6-foot-0, 195-pound running back.

And it paid off.

Cooper re-committed to the Hurricanes yesterday.

"When coach Shannon visited I saw how sincere he was," Cooper said. "When me and my dad talked about it, we talked about how we liked him as a person."

Cooper committed over the phone yesterday, calling and speaking with Shannon and Tim Walton.

"I told them I made the decision, that I'm coming there," Cooper said. "They were real happy, said they were glad and join the family.

"I was looking around, but I felt that was my place, man, my family. I like the players there. This is my family, so I had to be with family."

Cooper says he is academically set with a 19 ACT.

He will participate in spring practice.

"I'll report Jan. 12, school starts the 15th," he said.

Cooper said he was told UM wants to use him in a Reggie Bush role - running the ball and as a receiver out of the backfield.

"I'll also return kicks and punts," Cooper said. "Coach Shannon said I'll play right away, but you never know. He said it'll be based on how I come in, if I'm ready to play.

"I'm in the weight room right now getting ready."

Cooper rushed for 1,247 yards and 15 touchdowns in eight games this past season.

He proved his ability by beating out fellow top recruit LeSean McCoy to become the team's top ball carrier.

Cooper put up the numbers despite missing two games with neck and hamstring injuries.

As a senior at Melrose (Tenn.) High School he rushed for 2,084 yards with 30 touchdowns.

He says he made the final decision to be a Cane yesterday.

"That's when it hit me I wanted to go there," Cooper said. "I'd been thinking about it. That was just where I wanted to be.

"It was between Miami and Oklahoma State in the end."

Of his goals as a true freshman, Cooper said, "Really I just want to go in and get a lot of playing time, make a quick impact. I went to prep school, got used to the speed. Now I just need to get a little bit faster and do whatever I have to do to help the team."

money in the bank
 10 years ago '05        #522
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
its going to be interesting to see both cooper and james splitting the time.
 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM         #523
P DEDOS 954 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 C.R.I.P. said:
Shannon Works Magic

[pic - click to view]

New Berlin (NY) Milford Academy RB Graig Cooper decommitted after the Canes fired head coach Larry Coker.

But then new coach Randy Shannon made Cooper a priority, taking his first-ever in-home visit as head coach with the 6-foot-0, 195-pound running back.

And it paid off.

Cooper re-committed to the Hurricanes yesterday.

"When coach Shannon visited I saw how sincere he was," Cooper said. "When me and my dad talked about it, we talked about how we liked him as a person."

Cooper committed over the phone yesterday, calling and speaking with Shannon and Tim Walton.

"I told them I made the decision, that I'm coming there," Cooper said. "They were real happy, said they were glad and join the family.

"I was looking around, but I felt that was my place, man, my family. I like the players there. This is my family, so I had to be with family."

Cooper says he is academically set with a 19 ACT.

He will participate in spring practice.

"I'll report Jan. 12, school starts the 15th," he said.

Cooper said he was told UM wants to use him in a Reggie Bush role - running the ball and as a receiver out of the backfield.

"I'll also return kicks and punts," Cooper said. "Coach Shannon said I'll play right away, but you never know. He said it'll be based on how I come in, if I'm ready to play.

"I'm in the weight room right now getting ready."

Cooper rushed for 1,247 yards and 15 touchdowns in eight games this past season.

He proved his ability by beating out fellow top recruit LeSean McCoy to become the team's top ball carrier.

Cooper put up the numbers despite missing two games with neck and hamstring injuries.

As a senior at Melrose (Tenn.) High School he rushed for 2,084 yards with 30 touchdowns.

He says he made the final decision to be a Cane yesterday.

"That's when it hit me I wanted to go there," Cooper said. "I'd been thinking about it. That was just where I wanted to be.

"It was between Miami and Oklahoma State in the end."

Of his goals as a true freshman, Cooper said, "Really I just want to go in and get a lot of playing time, make a quick impact. I went to prep school, got used to the speed. Now I just need to get a little bit faster and do whatever I have to do to help the team."
:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

01-02-2007, 08:07 PM         #524
P DEDOS 954 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
now lets get more O lineman

u think we lookin good at Wr's in this class so far ?
 10 years ago '04        #525
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
^^We doing alright with WRs but it would help if the U gets that kid from Homestead High, he's an All-American... buddy is a beast.
 01-02-2007, 09:36 PM         #526
P DEDOS 954 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Black_Deuce said:
I dunno havent seen him around this bi*ch in a while.... hope everything is alright
real talk man hopefully he is

he prob just on winter vacation
 10 years ago '04        #527
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
we are pretty set at WR..we have 5 guys committed already at the posistion and we are only holding another scholarship open for Deonte Thompson from Glades Central.

the dude from homestead must be Alphonso Bryant...im pretty sure he dosent have the grades so we're not fu*king with him.

but he projects better as a safety at the college level because he's not explosive enough as a wr
 10 years ago '04        #528
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
ooo i see... yo what's the deal with the kid from South Carolina, he's like 6'5 or somethin like that, dwayne jarrett looking motherfu*ker... do we have any highlights of him?
 01-02-2007, 10:33 PM         #529
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The deal on Koetter as of Sunday night Reply
The stories that he has accepted the job are simply not true and I have checked this with several sources. He has been the top candidate/target whatever you want to call it since the second week of December when we reported it. But he has other options and has not yet accepted the job. I believe the info that he is coming to town this week is true and there is a good chance he will like what he sees and accept the job. But more than anything he is probably trying to buy as much time as possible, as he should, because he has multiple options and doesnt know what opportunity might arise next. It will come down to what he wants to do.

01-02-2007, 10:36 PM         #530
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
[B]December 30, 2006

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Jabaal Sheard bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Hollywood Hills (Fla.) High School DE Jabaal Sheard was happy to hear he had a Hurricane offer a few weeks ago.

However, that offer came from coach Mario Cristobal, who is now at FIU, and Sheard hasn't heard from UM coaches since then.

"Coach Cristobal said he wanted me to come to the school, that we'd have a meeting the following week, but then he left," Sheard said. "I don't know what's going on with that now."

Sheard says of the conversation in which he was offered that "[Cristobal] said `Are you interested?' I said `Yeah, definitely.' He said, `Well we're going to have a meeting with you. You have an offer."

Sheard previously indicated to CaneSport that he would commit if offered.

He now says, a.ssuming he does have a solid offer, that "I don't know if I'll commit."

He has visits scheduled to Auburn Jan. 12 and South Carolina Jan. 19.

He does say, "Miami's my favorite by a lot."

That's a.ssuming, of course, he has an offer.

"I like Miami's program a lot," he said. "They send people to the NFL and it's close to home."

Sheard finished his senior season with 55 tackles and 11 sacks.

CaneSport Magazine publishes 25 times a year, 10 glossy monthly printed issues and 15 online or Gameday Issues for a subscription price of $54.95. An online only subscription or a printed magazine only subscription is $39.95. Call 1-800-635-2263 or visit CaneSportmagazine.com

01-02-2007, 10:37 PM         #531
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
January 1, 2007

Neal Heller, CaneSport.com Columnist

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

If anybody ever had any doubts about whether or not Larry Coker should have been fired by Miami after an abysmal 2006 season, those doubts should officially be erased by the insanity of Coker's decision to coach UM in the MPC Computers Bowl Sunday night and his actions before and during the game.

What former Head Coach would subject himself to the humiliation of pretending to be the head coach of a team while the new head coach is coaching the team at the same
time? And then would suggest that the new head coach would be hard-pressed to match his six-year record of 10 wins a season when he inherited a national championship loaded team from Butch Davis that in no way resembles what he is leaving the new head coach. And when in fact it was the job that the new head coach did for him as defensive coordinator the past six years that was responsible for many of those 60 victories.

Randy Shannon took the high road by insisting UM was still
Coker's team to coach for the bowl game. But you would have thought that once
Shannon's hiring was announced that Coker would have made a phone call to
Shannon and thanked him for the kind words and the opportunity to coach one
last game and then gracefully exited the UM scene. Perhaps, Athletic
Director Paul Dee should have nudged Coker out the door if Coker needed
some encouragement to move on.

It was almost laughable to read quotes from Coker leading up to the game. He even commented on the impending transfer of running back, Andrew Johnson,
stating that he had granted Johnson's release from UM. Why would Coker have anything to say about matters that affected the team going forward?

His comments about Shannon's future record might only prove to be accurate because of the gargantuan hole that Coker is leaving behind.

At the time it was announced that Coker would not be back as head coach, it
seemed like a pretty good idea to allow him to finish out his tenure by
coaching the team in Boise. If a coach from another university were to be
hired here he probably would have had to fulfill certain responsibilities at
his current school. Thus, it would have been important to keep Coker in tow
to allow for a smooth transition to the next head coach.

But once Shannon was named as the new coach, Coker, was no longer needed in Coral Gables. Shannon probably didn't want to be head coach of the team in the bowl
game as he deserves to begin his head coaching tenure with a clean slate. But unfortunately, Coker and Shannon coaching together under these circumstances made for a circus-like atmosphere with nothing positive gained from the arrangement except a nail-biting one point victory over an average Nevada team.

A victory where the defense had to once again bail out an inconsistent offense.

And a victory that evolved even though the offense made no urgent attempt to gain a first down that would have sealed the victory late in the fourth quarter, instead opting to play it real safe and punt the ball back to Nevada.

Now the Hurricanes have gotten past this bowl game and the Shannon
era can officially begin.

But make no mistake. The type of indecisiveness and poor judgement that
was exhibited over the past few weeks was indicative of why Coker lost
control of the program in the first place.

Why did some coaches and some players not work hard enough?

Why were some not loyal enough?

Shannon will not tolerate staff or players not giving 100% effort on and off the field. Players and coaches will perform or they won't be at Miami. The days where the Hurricanes are on an equal level with teams like Nevada and Houston should be short-lived.

If there is one common theme that Shannon has learned from coaching under the likes of Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis it is that a lack of discipline and accountability will bring down a program quickly. Just ask Larry Coker, who today is experiencing his first day in a long time without a job.

Neal Heller is a 1982 UM grad who was former publisher and columnist for the Boca Raton News. He will write periodic columns for CaneSport.com

01-02-2007, 10:38 PM         #532
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im still here, have mad sh*t to do. il be back in a week or two. cheaaaa
 01-02-2007, 10:41 PM         #533
P DEDOS 954 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RakimAllahNY said:
 01-02-2007, 10:41 PM         #534
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
December 28, 2006

Palatka (Fla.) athlete Josh Miller wasn't recruited by Miami during his senior season.

But Cane coach Marquis Mosely came calling after his year ended.

"He came to the school and said I had an offer from the University of Miami, that because of the change in coaches that they were very interested in me," Miller said. "I'd never talked to Miami coaches before that, but they had been in contact with my coaches previously."

Miller has set up an official visit to UM for Super Bowl weekend.

He has already visited Bowling Green and Louisville.

"They went real well," he said. "I liked both schools. I'm just trying to find the best school for me."

He will also visit UCF and South Florida.

Miller says, because of his Louisville visit, that the Cardinals are his frontrunner.

"I liked everything on the visit," he said. "I came home and me and my family sat down and I said I'm going to give the Florida schools a try now."

Miller says his top three are Louisville, South Florida and Miami.

"I was surprised when Miami offered," he said. "I'm a Florida kid, but I didn't get offers from UF and FSU. Then Miami came in and offered. They liked my skills."

A 6-foot-3, 185-pounder, he ran a 4.37 time in the 40 at the UF summer camp.

He played quarterback in high school but says he expects to play receiver or defensive back in college. He played both those positions until moving to quarterback midway through his sophomore season. He had 15 receptions and three interceptions that year before making the move.

This year he threw for 600 yards and rushed for 850. He scored 10 times running the ball and had six touchdown passes. He also threw four interceptions.

After the season he was named the Putnam County Player of the Year.

CaneSport Magazine publishes 25 times a year, 10 glossy monthly printed issues and 15 online or Gameday Issues for a subscription price of $54.95. An online only subscription or a printed magazine only subscription is $39.95. Call 1-800-635-2263 or visit CaneSportmagazine.com

01-02-2007, 10:42 PM         #535
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
December 28, 2006

Palatka (Fla.) athlete Josh Miller wasn't recruited by Miami during his senior season.

But Cane coach Marquis Mosely came calling after his year ended.

"He came to the school and said I had an offer from the University of Miami, that because of the change in coaches that they were very interested in me," Miller said. "I'd never talked to Miami coaches before that, but they had been in contact with my coaches previously."

Miller has set up an official visit to UM for Super Bowl weekend.

He has already visited Bowling Green and Louisville.

"They went real well," he said. "I liked both schools. I'm just trying to find the best school for me."

He will also visit UCF and South Florida.

Miller says, because of his Louisville visit, that the Cardinals are his frontrunner.

"I liked everything on the visit," he said. "I came home and me and my family sat down and I said I'm going to give the Florida schools a try now."

Miller says his top three are Louisville, South Florida and Miami.

"I was surprised when Miami offered," he said. "I'm a Florida kid, but I didn't get offers from UF and FSU. Then Miami came in and offered. They liked my skills."

A 6-foot-3, 185-pounder, he ran a 4.37 time in the 40 at the UF summer camp.

He played quarterback in high school but says he expects to play receiver or defensive back in college. He played both those positions until moving to quarterback midway through his sophomore season. He had 15 receptions and three interceptions that year before making the move.

This year he threw for 600 yards and rushed for 850. He scored 10 times running the ball and had six touchdown passes. He also threw four interceptions.

After the season he was named the Putnam County Player of the Year.

01-02-2007, 10:44 PM         #536
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
December 27, 2006

Related Links:
Darius Davis bio

Memphis (TN) Whitehaven High School DB Darius Davis is waiting on a Hurricane offer.

"I've been talking to Miami coaches," Davis said. "We talked (before the dead period started). They said they were looking forward to recruiting me and they'll be staying in touch with me."

Davis says, if the Canes offer, "they'd have a great chance. I'd like to go there."

So far the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder with 4.5-second speed lists offers from Kentucky, Memphis and Marshall.

He finished his senior season with 47 tackles, four interceptions (one returned for a touchdown) and eight passes broken up.

Davis helped his team to a 6-4 record.

Who does he get compared to?

"My coaches and other coaches say Charles Woodson," Davis said.

He first heard from UM his junior year, and he attended the Miami summer camp after that season. He earned the Defensive Back Most Valuable Player Award at the camp.

"I went to the camp because Miami's a school I always wanted to go to," Davis said.

Davis says he played against current Cane Carlos Armour when he was a freshman and last year's UM commitment Graig Cooper a year ago.

01-02-2007, 10:46 PM         #537
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RakimAllahNY said:

aiight homie
 10 years ago '04        #538
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
 Cap Peeler said:
ooo i see... yo what's the deal with the kid from South Carolina, he's like 6'5 or somethin like that, dwayne jarrett looking motherfu*ker... do we have any highlights of him?

i dont know..i live like maybe 1 minute away from the school he plays at and have never seen him play or even heard about him.

my brother said he's pretty good..but i gotta see him for myself.

if i ever run into that n*gga round town..im gonna make him show me his film right there on the spot
 10 years ago '04        #539
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
New Year's Day ushered in a new era for Miami football.

The beginning of the Randy Shannon era.

And needless to say, what Shannon is inheriting is a little bit different than the juggernaut that Larry Coker took over from Butch Davis six seasons ago and rode to 24 straight victories.

What kind of talent is there on the 2007 Hurricane roster before the addition of a new recruiting class? CaneSport.com takes a candid position by position look at the team.

QUARTERBACKS
Freeman hopes to unseat Wright as the starter next year

[db]Kirby Freeman[/db], Jr.
Freeman lost a quarterback battle with Kyle Wright before last year and finally got his chance to start when Wright went down with injury following the Virginia Tech game. Freeman struggled at times in his three regular season starts, hitting on just 53.9 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. He showed good mobility but lost his first two starts ... not exactly a good beginning. But Freeman did some good things in the bowl game, throwing for 272 yards, and has a chance to unseat Wright as the starter in 2007.

[db]Kyle Wright[/db], Sr.
After tying for the ACC's lead in touchdowns in 2005, Wright took a big step back this season. He hit on 152 of 250 passes with just eight touchdowns and seven interceptions. Were his struggles a result of a lingering hand injury or a depleted wide receiver corps? It's hard to say.

Analysis: The biggest question we have right now is -- are either of these guys good enough? Can either one of them lead Miami to a BCS game? Wright has not shown the ability to make big plays to win games and Freeman makes an awful lot of mistakes. Neither of them has been coached very well so far in their careers. Randy Shannon will be working incredibly hard to land Tampa product Robert Marve to go along with already committed Nick Fanuzzi. If either of these guys turns out to be the real deal and either Wright or Freeman doesn't take a major step forward under a new offensive stagg, we wouldn't be shocked if a freshman is quarterbacking Miami by the end of next season.

RUNNING BACKS

[db]James Bryant[/db], Sr.
Bryant has had so many off-field issues that nobody knows what kind of role, if any at all, he will play under new Head Coach Randy Shannon. Bryant prefers to play linebacker, but he moved to fullback after the season started for the good of the team. He had a pair of touchdown catches this year, although a bow after one of them helped set off the FIU brawl and landed him a one-game suspension from Larry Coker. If he can play within himself and channel his intensity, Bryant could be a huge a.sset to this team on offense or defense. But he has been unable to do that so far in his career.

[/db]Javarris James[/db], Soph.
James emerged onto the national scene as a true freshman with a tremendous combination of toughness, power and vision. He averaged 4.9 yards per carry with 767 net yards and four touchdowns during the regular season but didn't get much going against Nevada in the bowl game with 17 carries for 35 yards. He will only get better as time goes on, so the Cane ground game should be solid as long as he's around.

[db]Charlie Jones[/db], Sr.
After rushing for 507 yards and five touchdowns last year after Tyrone Moss was hurt, Jones wound up being supplanted by Javarris James this season. Jones simply doesn't have the breakaway speed to be a big-play threat. He rushed for 206 yards and four touchdowns in limited action this season. Look for him to move to fullback next season in a new offense and be much more effective.

[db]Jerrell Mabry[/db], Soph.
Mabry is still overweight but could be a decent lead-blocking fullback if he works himself into shape.

[db]Kylan Robinson[/db], R-Fr.
A raw talent, Robinson needs to start progressing quickly this spring to get into the mix for 2007 playing time.

[db]Derron Thomas[/db], Jr.
A smaller, shifty back, Thomas was used in spot duty this year and had 21 carries for 159 yards and one score. He could emerge as a good third down back next year depending on what the new coach will want to implement.
Analysis: We are not convinced that James is good enough to shoulder the entire load himself on a top-level team. We think it is critical that Miami keep Craig Cooper in receruiting and find one more running back to bring into the fold on signing day. We are intrigued about the possibility of a Charlie Jones move to fullback.

WIDE RECEIVERS
[db]Ryan Hill[/db], Soph.
Hill moved from cornerback to receiver early in the fall and didn't make much of an impact with eight catches for 77 yards. He will be remembered for a dropped pass in the end zone against Maryland that could have won that game for the Canes. It's possible Hill will move back to defense or play both ways next year. He is also a capable punt and kickoff returner.

[db]Darnell Jenkins[/db], Sr.
Jenkins is expected to get an extra year of eligibility after a medical redshirt. He is a speed burner who has really never tapped his potential. Jenkins played in three games this year and had 13 catches for 183 yards.

[db]Khalil Jones[/db], Jr.
Jones's hands are still not as reliable as they need to be. And, as a result, he's not playing much -- he had just five catches this year. He's got size and speed, so he could be a force if he gets his act together.

[db]Rashaun Jones[/db], Sr.
Jones shuttled from defensive back to receiver and was an academic casualty for part of the year. He showed his ability with six catches for 36 yards against Duke, making some nice plays. But for the rest of the year he was a forgotten man. The Canes used him on kickoff returns this year but he didn't get much going.

Leggett must square away his mental game if he wants to live up to his potential
[db]Lance Leggett[/db], Sr.
Leggett has all kinds of talent, as he's shown with some long touchdowns and a 131-yard game against Duke. But he also has had all kinds of mental lapses. A year ago he was dropping passes, and this year he suffered numerous penalties and a few more drops. He only had one catch for three yards in the bowl game. If he gets his head on straight he can be a great one, but he is running out of time.

[db]George Robinson[/db], R-Fr.
Robinson had a leg injury early in the fall and redshirted. He is very much a project after playing in a run-based high school offense. He could be a candidate for a transfer.

[db]Sam Shields[/db], Soph.
This true freshman showed some good things but also has a lot to learn. He finished with 37 catches for 501 yards and four scores, flashing his ability with back-to-back 88-yard receiving efforts against FIU and Duke (he had a pair of touchdowns against the Blue Devils) and a 101-yard effort against Nevada. He should make great strides in the off-season and should develop into a major threat.

[db]George Timmons[/db], Jr.
Timmons has played defensive back, running back and receiver at Miami but has not found a niche anywhere. It would not shock us to see him transfer.

[db]Terrell Walden[/db], Sr.
The speedy, undersized Walden never made it back 100 percent from an ACL tear and is likely not going to play a big role on offense next year.
Analysis: You see all those receivers that Miami is taking this year in recruiting. That just about tells you what coaches think about the talent level at this position right now. Shields has awesome potential but time is running out for Leggett. It is critical that Shannon picks the right guys here who can come in and contribute right away.

TIGHT ENDS
[db]Dedrick Epps[/db], Soph.
The team didn't use Epps' redshirt after sitting him the first six games of the year. He saw spot duty in the next several games but didn't have a catch. Don't be fooled by that. Epps is a very good route runner and should start making a bigger impact next year.

[db]DajLeon Farr[/db], Jr.
Farr didn't see much action with only three receptions. Coaches have raved about his route running ability and hands, but it remains to be seen just how good he can be.

[db]Greg Olsen[/db], Sr.
With defenses focusing on him all season, Olsen has had a poor year by his standards. A year ago he had 451 yards and four touchdowns. This season he had 489 yards and only one score. He had some uncharacteristic dropped passes, and early in the year he was virtually invisible on offense - in the first four games he only had one game with over 20 yards (51 against FAMU). His best game? Five catches for 91 yards and a score against Georgia Tech. He had two catches for 45 yards against Nevada. He is likely to bolt early for the NFL, but has not announced those intentions yet.

[db]Chris Zellner[/db], Jr.
Zellner was supposed to be UM's secret weapon as a receiving/blocking H-back. He turned into an invisible weapon. He had just eight catches for 31 yards. In his defense, he was hampered by a hand injury for part of the season.

Analysis: We don't see a Bubba Franks or Jeremy Shockey on the roster at this position and think it needs to be a priority in recruiting in January. That will particularly be the case if Dirk Koetter becomes offensive coordinator. Koetter likes to run a lot of two tight end sets.
 10 years ago '04        #540
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
OFFENSIVE LINE

[db]Andrew Bain[/db], Sr.
Bain isn't a dominant lineman and will have to battle to keep his starting job in 2007.

[db]Chris Barney[/db], Soph.
Barney never got the coaches' confidence, although he did take over at left tackle when Jason Fox was injured against Virginia. Barney has a long way to go if he wants to become a solid player. And he still needs to drop some weight.

[db]Tyrone Byrd[/db], Jr.
Byrd never got past a preseason knee injury and didn't make an impact. For two straight years he was in the mix to start in the preseason only to wind up on the sidelines. He must put things together in a hurry as his UM career is winding down.

[db]Joel Figueroa[/db], R-Fr.
A mammoth of a man, Figueroa redshirted this year and is looking to work into the rotation in 2007.

Jason Fox has a bright future at left tackle
[db]Jason Fox[/db], Soph.
It was an outstanding true freshman year for this left tackle. He was hurt at the end of the regular season but showed he can get the job done. Coaches went so far as to say he was having a better year than Javarris James, just no one noticed because he was on the offensive line.

[db]Derrick Morse[/db], Sr.
Morse isn't the strongest or biggest lineman, but he gets the job done with sheer intensity. He is the hardest worker in practice and it shows on the field. His work ethic also rubs off on the other linemen. He is an integral piece of the offensive line.

[db]Matt Pipho[/db], Soph.
Pipho never got into the mix this year and can be considered a project.

[db]John Rochford[/db], Sr.
Rochford is used primarily as the team's snapper.

[db]Chris Rutledge[/db], Jr.
Rutledge was hampered by a back injury in the off-season that kept him from working out. So he wasn't at full strength this year. With a healthy off-season of work he could become a capable lineman.

[db]Ian Symonette[/db], R-Fr.
Symonette arrived and promptly weighed in at 388 pounds, then had knee surgery. Coaches had planned on elevating him to second team before the surgery. If he's healthy, he can be a good one.

[db]A.J. Trump, Soph.[/db]
Trump was hurt late in the year but provided solid depth at guard and center when healthy. He will be a starter before too long.

[db]Cyrim Wimbs[/db], Sr.
Wimbs has never developed into a solid lineman and he will almost certainly be a backup in his final year at Miami.

[db]Reggie Youngblood[/db], Jr.
A highly touted recruit, Youngblood has developed into a fine lineman. He missed the end of the year due to a sprained ankle but will be back shoring up the left tackle spot next season.

ANALYSIS: We think this position remains loaded with question marks. The line made good progress this season, but 37 yards rushing against Nevada in the bowl game doesn't get the toes tingling. This is another spot that needs attention in January even with Orlando Franklin and Harland Gunn committed.

DEFENSIVE LINE
[db]Luqman Abdallah[/db], Soph.
Abdallah did not play in any games this year and is very much a project at defensive tackle.

[db]Rhyan Anderson[/db], Jr.
A former highly regarded recruit, Anderson played in just one game off the bench this year. He is somewhat of a 'tweener' -- too big for end, too small for tackle. Transfer candidate?

Campbell enjoyed a breakthrough season with nine sacks and 15 tackles for losses
[db]Calais Campbell[/db], Jr.
This was Campbell's breakthrough season. He had seven straight games with a sack and is a tremendous force coming off the edge. He finished with 20.5 tackles for losses and 10 sacks. At 6-foot-8, once he gets past the blockers he uses his long wingspan to hassle quarterbacks. He is a surefire NFL first rounder if he keeps up this kind of play.

[db]Antonio Dixon[/db], Jr.
Dixon seems on the verge of emerging as a dominant player if he will put in the effort to lose a little more weight. He saw action off the bench in most of the games this year and had a sack. He will be in the mix to start next year.

[db]Vegas Franklin[/db], Sr.
Franklin was used as a rush tackle and played some at defensive end. He will likely continue to be a role player next season.

[db]Richard Gordon[/db], Soph.
Gordon made the move from tight end to defensive tackle midway through this season as a true freshman but didn't see much time at his position during games. He was used mostly on special teams and showed his strength and speed as a flier. With his physical tools, don't be surprised if he is on the field a lot next year.

[db]Courtney Harris[/db], Soph.
Harris was supposed to be a star in the making after coaches called him unblockable in practices a year ago. But he only saw spot duty this season and had virtually no impact.

[db]Dwayne Hendricks[/db], Jr.
Hendricks was a backup tackle and saw little playing time. He will try and get into the rotation next season.

[db]Josh Holmes[/db], R-Fr.
Holmes redshirted and it remains to be seen what kind of player he can be. He was compared to a young Warren Sapp coming out of high school but he is a little undersized at the moment.

[db]Joe Joseph[/db], Soph.
Joseph has never found a niche at defensive tackle. He only played in one game off the bench this season.

[db]Teraz McCray[/db], Sr.
McCray enters next year as a likely starter at tackle. He started nine games there this season and did a solid job. He is excellent against the run and also had a pair of sacks. At barely 6-foot-0, he is like a rock in the middle of the line. He must stay healthy, though, as he has had injury problems throughout his career.

[db]Eric Moncur[/db], Jr.
Moncur started three games this season at end but never made much of an impact. He will have to step up his play if he wants to start games opposite Calais Campbell next season.

[db]Chaz Washington[/db], R-Fr.
Washington redshirted and hopes to work into the mix next season.

[db]Steven Wesley[/db], R-Fr.
This young defensive end will try to work his way into the mix after redshirting as a true freshman.

ANALYSIS: This is a critical position in January recruiting and we feel Shannon must find a couple big-time players to fill holes at defensive tackle. A big key to the 2007 season will be whether Dixon puts forth the effort to become great.

LINEBACKERS
[db]Spencer Adkins[/db], Jr.
Adkins is one of the strongest Canes in the weight room, but injury cost him the last half of the season. He could compete for significant playing time next season ... if he can stay healthy.
Beason was one of Miami's most productive players this year

[db]Jon Beason[/db], Sr.
Beason started at weakside and strongside linebacker this year and, along with Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips, was probably Miami's best defensive player. He had 74.5 tackles, eight for losses, with an interception and forced fumble. Beason will be a major leader on defense next season if he does not leave early for the NFL.

[db]Glenn Cook[/db], Sr.
Most players point to Cook as the guy who has the best grasp of the defensive schemes. And his smarts are sure to get him some meaningful playing time next season. He's not the fastest or strongest guy out there, but he does a decent job. He had five tackles for losses this season.

[db]Romeo Davis[/db], Sr.
Davis has gotten plenty of starting experience in his career, but has never dominated. This year he started two games at middle linebacker but missed the last handful of games due to injury. He will have a tough time getting a lot of playing time next year with some talented up-and-coming youngsters on the team.

[db]Tavares Gooden[/db], Sr.
Gooden came back from injury to enjoy a solid, if unspectacular, junior season. Despite missing two games with a concussion he was in the top 10 on the team in tackles and had 2.5 tackles for losses. Strongside linebacker will be his job to lose entering next year.

[db]Eric Houston[/db], Jr.
Houston only saw limited action in six games and it remains to be seen if he'll have much of an impact at Miami before his tenure is up.

[db]Colin McCarthy[/db], Soph.
McCarthy was a monster on special teams this year as a true freshman before suffering an injury late in the year. He is poised to make an impact at one of the linebacker spots next season. Even with several other talented linebackers returning, don't be surprised if he competes for a lot of playing time. He's got a ton of talent.

[db]Darryl Sharpton[/db], Soph.
Sharpton enters next year as the likely starter at middle linebacker -- he started five games there this season, including the bowl game. He has tremendous athletic ability and speed. His only issue is learning the defense. He's been a bit slow to pick things up, but once he figures it all out he should be a consistent big-time playmaker.

[db]Demetri Stewart[/db], Soph.
Stewart saw action off the bench at the end of the year when injuries depleted the linebacker corps. He remains very much a project, although he showed his athleticism with some nice plays on special teams this year.

Analysis: This should remain a strong position for Miami in 2007, particularly if Beason stays for his senior season. McCarthy could work his way into the starting line-up next year.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
196 comments
2 days ago