Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
MMA Ronda Rousey turns off Stephen A. Smith in rousing promo for UFC 207
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Kanye back in the Studio with Pete Rock and a bunch of Nintendo Wii Games
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5341
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 597 597
Quarterback Jacory Harris said after UM's opening spring practice that he is extremely impressed with new coordinator Mark Whipple's offense. "I love the offense because there's always something open," Harris said. "It gives you time to progress through your reads. You can check down to the running backs, so the backs might have 10 catches a game. It's fun. It's something we have fun doing." Harris says when he first laid eyes on the new playbook "it was 10 inches high." "I looked at it, then the next day we were going over things and I knew basically everything he was talking about," Harris said. "I'm very impressed (with the playbook)." After the first spring practice today Harris says most of Whipple's offense is already in. "We've learned 75 percent of the offense," he said. "It's a lot of plays. All these receivers, the O-line, the whole offense has learned everything and knows it like the back of our hand." Harris says Whipple told players that his offense "is bits and pieces of everything he's been in. That's his style." Harris adds, "You can sense the creativity in the offense." And Harris says "it has the feel" of an NFL offense. That's not just Harris' opinion. Whipple has hammered home that NFL feel by having the offensive players study NFL film. "We'll watch the Eagles vs. the Giants, the routes we've installed," Harris said. "We'll watch Donovan McNabb run Texas Wild. We just go through the reads." Last year the team only watched college film. "This time (last year) we were watching spring from the year before or cutups from the last year's regular season," Harris said. "I feel (watching the NFL tape helps). Looking at the playbook was humongous, but then once you learn the concepts it shrinks down." Harris says a key to the offense is to get the ball out quickly. "I'm just here to get the ball to the playmakers," Harris said. "Catch the ball, three steps and then throw." Of getting back on the field for practice 1, Harris said, "I was really excited to get back out here. We came out fired up. Everyone came out here having fun. We've been wanting to get back on this field for a long time. The offense went out and did great, and the defense did well too." Of not having to battle for a starting job anymore, Harris said, "I was just talking to LaRon Byrd, telling him how comfortable I feel out there because it's like now I don't have to go out there and make any plays. I don't have to force anything just to show that I'm there. "I can just go and take care of my business and do what coach Whipple has me doing." Harris says he feels more mature entering year two. "I have to step up and be a leader, have to be held accountable for everything I'm doing," Harris said. "And that's something I have to learn and grow on as the year progresses." * Harris was asked about WR Tommy Streeter, who missed last year due to injury and is back now, and said, "He's a sub-4.4. guy. It's something amazing by looking at Streeter running down the field and you throw it up and he's running past cornerbacks. It's going to be amazing to watch Streeter on the field." * Asked how much better the offense can be with a different coordinator and the returning personnel, Harris said, "It's depending on how the players pick up his offense, how the players go out there and learn the playbook and things like that. That will determine if we can be a 40-point team, just score points."
 8 years ago '04        #5342
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Head coach Randy Shannon addressed the media Tuesday morning as the team begins spring practices in the afternoon.

The team will be in shorts the first two days, shells on Friday, and shoulder pads on Saturday.

Practice will be open to the public on March 12 with a scrimmage at Traz Powell.

The spring game is on March 28 at 10 a.m. at Lockhart Stadium.

The Hurricanes are coming off a 7-6 season and an appearance in the Emerald Bowl.

News & Notes

? The reason why practices are starting early is because Shannon wanted to have the team go through six weeks of a hard weight training program after the season and have a month after spring practices for another weight training program before school is over.

? Shannon mentioned LB Darryl Sharpton, RB Javarris James, and TE Richard Gordon as upperclassmen that need to step up this spring.

? LB Darryl Sharpton will get a crack at middle linebacker this spring.

? WRs Travis Benjamin and Davon Johnson as well as CB Brandon Harris will miss the first week of spring practice due to track obligations.

? WR Travis Benjamin changed his number to 3, from 80 and CB Sam Shields changed his number to 9 from 83. No other players have switched numbers.

? CB Sam Shields is making the switch to cornerback after three years at wide receiver where he caught 75 passes for 971 yards and seven touchdowns including two 100-yard games. Last season, Shields fell out of favor in the receiver rotation catching just 11 passes for 124 yards.

? There are six new enrollees: RB Mike James (#22), OL Brandon Washington (#72), OL Jermaine Johnson (#78), DE Olivier Vernon (#35), DT Curtis Porter (#96), and CB Brandon McGee (#21).

? LB Arthur Brown has been moved to middle linebacker after playing strongside last season. Shannon said Brown has been happy in his time at UM despite only playing on special teams last fall.

? QB Taylor Cook is competing with Cannon Smith for the backup quarterback job. According to Shannon, Cook has a very live arm.

? TE Daniel Adderley is still on the team although Shannon said he would be transferring. Shannon said Adderley approached Shannon about staying on the team.

? RB Graig Cooper will be used at kick returner and punt returner this season. Travis Benjamin will also be used as a returner, but it appears Cooper has the upperhand as the team's primary returner with a healthy Javarris James in the backfield to ease the pressure off of Cooper.

? DE Eric Moncur and TE Tervaris Johnson will be limited in spring practices. OL Joel Figueroa is out after having off-season surgery.

? Shannon would like DE Eric Moncur to lose about 15 pounds to get down to the 245-250 range.

? DL Allen Bailey, as reported a week ago, will begin the spring as a defensive tackle.

? a.ssistant coach Micheal Barrow will a.ssume the role of being a defensive a.ssistant coach as opposed to a linebackers coach, which he served last season. Shannon says it is not a demotion, but gives him more responsibility to coach a variety of positions.

? Practice begins at 3:30. A complete practice report including player interviews and an interview with offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will be up as soon as possible.
 8 years ago '04        #5343
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Today was the first day of spring practices. Find out which players stood out, which players were on first and second team, which players were held out, and more in this practice report.

The team was in shorts.

News & Notes

? QB Jacory Harris took the first snap as expected and looked good in a variety of drills. The one thing he did a good job at was throwing the ball into space and letting his receivers go get it even before they break, which is something that quarterbacks need to trust, which hasn't always happened at UM in recent years.

? QB Taylor Cook took the second snaps followed by Cannon Smith. Cook has a very good arm and showed it during practice. He didn't throw a lot of deep passes, but he gets the ball out to his receivers. Smith showed good footwork in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills.

? There were no touchdowns in today's practice during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. Graig Cooper caught a nice screen pass and raced up the sideline, but would have been tackled if the defensive players were allowed to do so. Most of the completions were quick throws where the quarterback got the ball out fast.

? The first-team wide receivers on the outside were LaRon Byrd and Leonard Hankerson. Aldarius Johnson and Tommy Streeter were on the second-team. Kendal Thompkins and Thearon Collier were the slot receivers on both units.

? The first offensive line unit was as follows: LT Jason Fox; LG Orlando Franklin; C A.J. Trump; RG Harland Gunn; and RT Matt Pipho.

? The second offensive line unit was as follows: LT Jermaine Johnson; LG Ian Symonette; C Tyler Horn; RG Brandon Washington; and RT Ben Jones.

? RBs Graig Cooper and Javarris James split time with the first unit with Cooper getting the first rep. Cooper caught a nice screen pass along the right sideline during a 7-on-7 drills and got upfield in a hurry. James made an excellent cutback move on a screen in the middle of the field as he shook LB Kylan Robinson before getting to the outside, drawing a cheer from his teammates.

? Ryan Hill was playing cornerback today as he is expected to play there this spring especially with the limited number of corners on the team. Chavez Grant, Sam Shields, and freshman Brandon McGee were the other cornerbacks. Shields looks raw at this point in the spring but he did show he can plant a foot and break on a ball nicely.

? Ramon Buchanan is playing linebacker as we reported he was doing late in the season. He showed very nice speed moving sideline to sideline and has a lot of range.

? C.J. Holton and Joe Wylie are safeties despite rumors of them playing linebacker.

? The first unit linebackers were: WLB Sean Spence, MLB Darryl Sharpton, and SLB Kylan Robinson.

? The second unit linebackers were: WLB Ramon Buchanan, MLB Arthur Brown, and SLB Jordan Futch.

Freshman Watch

? There are six freshmen who have enrolled early: RB Mike James, OLs Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson, DE Oliver Vernon, DT Curtis Porter, and CB Brandon McGee.

? Freshman RB Mike James looked good as he is clearly physically impressive, which wasn't a surprise from seeing him in person during his senior year and around campus. James has good feet and did a nice job of catching the ball as well.

? James' roommate CB Brandon McGee got a lot of reps during practice as the team only has four cornerbacks participating in the first week. Physically McGee looks like he can immediately compete with the rest of the corners, but at times he struggled with footwork. Overall though McGee had a good day.

Injury and Status Updates

? The following players were wearing green jerseys, which means they were limited in practice: WR Kendal Thompkins and TE Tervaris Johnson.

? WRs Travis Benjamin and Davon Johnson and CB Brandon Harris will be held out this week due to them having track this weekend. All three were at practice, but didn't participate in drills.

? LB Colin McCarthy was in uniform, but did not practice.

? TE Dedrick Epps (torn ACL) and OL Joel Figueroa (right arm surgery) will be out this spring.
 8 years ago '04        #5344
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
thanks to everyone for the updates
 02-24-2009, 11:39 PM         #5345
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wow it all sounds surprisingly good. shields should feel at home at CB he's used to batting down balls. Glad to read that Jacory is leading the team. Seems like he's poise for a breakout.
 8 years ago '04        #5346
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Taylor Cook

[pic - click to view]

Curtis Porter

[pic - click to view]

Colin McCarthy

[pic - click to view]

Lee Chambers

[pic - click to view]

Joe Joseph and Josh Holmes

[pic - click to view]

Ben Jones

[pic - click to view]

Damien Berry

[pic - click to view]

Brandon McGee and Mike James
 8 years ago '04        #5347
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Arthur "My Lil Bro's an Attention Ho" Brown

[pic - click to view]

C.J. "Hitstick" Holton

[pic - click to view]

Brandon Washington

[pic - click to view]

Orlando Franklin

[pic - click to view]

Harland Gunn

[pic - click to view]

Jermaine Johnson

[pic - click to view]

Jordan Futch

[pic - click to view]

Randy Phillips

[pic - click to view]

JoJo Nicolas

[pic - click to view]

Sam Shields

the freshmen o-linemen look massive
 02-25-2009, 01:31 PM         #5348
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah they all look really big. Curtis Porter is a house goddamn. Randy Phillips lookin like Sean Taylor in that pic.
 02-25-2009, 06:11 PM         #5349
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Brandon McGee wearing #21 >>>
 8 years ago '04        #5350
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Newly hired offensive coordinator Mark Whipple participated in his first University of Miami football practice today. Whipple was hired in late January and has been working hard to install most of his playbook as he can in these four weeks. After his first practice as offensive coordinator, Whipple says he is throwing a lot at his players and he is impressed by the talent that he sees on the field. "They were good today," Whipple said. "I am sure I will look at the tape and see a lot of mistakes, which there were, but we threw a lot at them. I think they responded pretty well, but the big thing is can they retain it for 14 more practices. We are going to ask a lot of them from in-between their ears and I think they handled it well today." "We have talent, there is talent everywhere." For now Whipple says he is treating these first spring practices almost as mini-camps by throwing a lot of information at the players. Many of the players have said that Whipple's offense already appears to be complex and the playbook is thick, but Whipple says he just wants to find out what the strengths of his personnel are and he will tailor his offense to those strengths. "You kind of just keep you plays over the years with the different ideas and fit them with your personnel," Whipple said. "Jacory is going to be different than Taylor and Cannon. They are each going to have a different gameplan. Ben Rothlisberger is going to be different than Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb or A.J. Feely. How we are going to use those guys to the best of their abilities is what we will piece together." One position that should be expected to be a focal point of Whipple's offense is the running back position. Many of the pass plays during Tuesday's practice were intended to the running backs. Whipple talked about Graig Cooper and how the running backs can be used in the passing game. "I think [Cooper] is a really good receiver and a great running back," Whipple said. "He has been really good. There is a lot more pass routes than they have had. There is a lot more technique things in the pass game that they haven't had--the type of things with Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter." "I think it is the one place in college where you can use your running backs a little bit more. It is not as much of a mismatch in the NFL, but in college you can match them up pretty good, so that is something we might look at." Tuesday was the first chance Whipple really got to work with quarterback Jacory Harris on the field and he says he has been impressed by Harris' approach to the game. "I think he has worked hard and studied hard and he has a good grasp on what he is doing. Today was the first time I saw him throw and he has good touch. He is a little more athletic than he looks on tape. He is a confident kid, but not c*cky. He has a good presence."
 8 years ago '04        #5351
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Highly touted linebacker Arthur Brown seems to have found a home at middle linebacker for the University of Miami. During his true freshman season last year Brown played outside linebacker during practice and was a part of the kickoff coverage team, but during the bowl practices he switched to middle linebacker and performed well. According to coach Randy Shannon, the move to middle linebacker made Brown much more productive in practice. "It is like Ray Lewis when he came in," coach Randy Shannon said. "When he played outside linebacker as a freshman when he came in, I thought he was awful. Then about five days later we put him at the middle linebacker position and it was like, whoa who is this guy?" "Sometimes you have to move guys around and eventually they can show you what they can do. For Arthur Brown, those 15 days of practice helped him tremendously." Shannon says that Brown is a much more instinctual player at the middle linebacker position and that he plays at a faster speed. He is currently with the second team at the middle linebacker spot behind Darryl Sharpton. "It seems like he is more comfortable moving and he is quicker," Shannon said. "He is quicker reacting to plays." Brown finished the 2008 season with four tackles by playing on special teams. He came to the University of Miami last spring as an early enrollee for the 2008 recruiting class and was ranked as the sixth best player in the country by ESPN. Shannon said he believes maybe the high expectations placed on Brown for his freshman season could have weighed on him throughout the season. "It always weighs on guys like that," Shannon said. "The guys that come in with all the accolades, a lot of people look at it as you need to come out and get it done now. I think it weighed on him a little bit, but he was a great special teams player for us last year and now he is taking the next step." During the spring game last year, Brown recorded a team high eight tackles and one interception. Look for Brown to show that type of performance more consistently during this month of spring football.
 8 years ago '04        #5352
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Today was the second day of spring practices. Find out which players stood out, which players were on first and second team, which players were held out, and more in this practice report.

The team was in shorts.

Former Hurricane all-American and current NFL superstar Ed Reed was in attendance as well as former Michigan Heisman Trophy Winner Desmond Howard.

Former Canes Kevin Beard, Bruce Johnson, and Antonio Dixon were also at practice.

A number of recruits were also in attendance, which are listed later in the report.

News & Notes

? CB Ryan Hill returned an interception by Taylor Cook 55 yards back for a touchdown during 11-on-11. Hill jumped in front of a short route by walk-on WR Kris Kimball and raced down the sideline. Hill has been doing well in practice at cornerback, is showing good footwork, and is getting a lot of work in.

? OL Orlando Franklin and DE Gavin Hardin were jawing at each other after an exchange of pushes. Hardin's helmet came off during a play and locked up with Franklin, and proceeded to take Franklin's helmet off also. The two separated and there was not other incident the rest of practice.

? WR Leonard Hankerson caught the most passes during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. He caught at least four passes for at least 25 yards all along the sideline. Hankerson beat CB Chavez Grant on a stop-and-go route, but Taylor Cook overthrew him which would have resulted in a touchdown. Hankerson caught a deep pass from Cannon Smith with Brandon McGee in coverage, caught a 30-yard strike from Cook, a 35-yard pass from Jacory Harris with Grant and safety Vaughn Telemaque in coverage, and a 25-yard pass from Harris over C.J. Holton. Hankerson has been primarily on the first team in the first two days of practice.

? QB Jacory Harris had an average day, sometimes he was on and did a good job of throwing into space, other times he struggled with his accuracy constantly throwing short in one drill and throwing wide to his receivers.

? QB Taylor Cook did a nice job of rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run. He has been impressive the first couple of days of practice despite throwing an interception today. Cook has a strong arm and is the favorite to win the back-up role to Harris.

? RB Graig Cooper dropped a toss to the right, but recovered by picking up the ball, and shifting by the defense during an 11-on-11 drill and got into the secondary. He appeared to be on his way to the endzone before CB Chavez Grant tracked him down 10 yards short. The fumble fooled some of the defensive players, but Grant caught up to Cooper, who should have scored.

? WR Aldarius Johnson continues to look very polished for a young player, running crips routes, and making catches in traffic. Johnson had the second-best day amongst the receivers behind Hankerson. Johnson caught a 50-yard pass from Jacory Harris along the left sideline and nearly scored a touchdown before going out of bounds.

? Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff praised CB Ryan Hill in practice for his technique. McGriff also thought CB Brandon McGee did a great job of being physical with WR LaRon Byrd on one drill.

? CB Chavez Grant didn't have the best practice as he was struggling during drills with his technique and then during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills, he gave up a number of passes.

? WR Tommy Streeter is looking very fluid in practice and is running good routes. The coaches have been on him about the little things like finishing his routes, but he is doing well.

? The first-team defensive ends were: Steven Wesley and Marcus Robinson. The second-team defensive ends were Andrew Smith and Adewale Ojomo. Gavin Hardin and Olivier Vernon were on the third team.

? The first-team defensive tackles were: Allen Bailey and Joe Joseph. The second-team defensive tackles were Josh Holmes and Marcus Forston. Micanor Regis, Jeremy Lewis, and Curtis Porter were the other defensive ends.

? Safeties Vaughn Telemaque and JoJo Nicolas are getting a lot of work together on the first unit. Expect Randy Phillips to win a starting role as Randy Shannon has talked to him about being one of the team leaders.

? CB Sam Shields has some work to do if he is going to play cornerback this season after making the switch from wide receiver. He's a bit loose in his footwork and has a tough time staying with the receiver when they make breaks on their cuts.

Freshman Watch

? There are six freshmen who have enrolled early: RB Mike James, OLs Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson, DE Oliver Vernon, DT Curtis Porter, and CB Brandon McGee.

? CB Brandon McGee struggled a bit today during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills as he was out of position on a deep ball against WR Aldarius Johnson. However, McGee is taking the coaching well and has good footwork.

? DT Curtis Porter is getting a good push on the line of scrimmage and projects as a nice player in career.

Injury and Status Updates

? The following players were wearing green jerseys, which means they were limited in practice: WR Kendal Thompkins and TE Tervaris Johnson.

? WRs Travis Benjamin and Davon Johnson and CBs DeMarcus Van Dke and Brandon Harris will be held out this week due to them having track this weekend. All four were at practice, but didn't participate in drills.

? LB Colin McCarthy was in uniform, but did not practice.

? TE Dedrick Epps (torn ACL) and OL Joel Figueroa (right arm surgery) will be out this spring.

Recruits in Attendance

Stephen Plein, a 2009 signee, was at practice today and yesterday.

Here are the 2010 recruits that were at practice: Corey Lemonier, Calvin Smith, Ravonne Carter, and Tommy Heffernan.

Here are the 2011 recruits that were at practice: Denzel Perryman, Anthony Rabasa, and Jerron Seymour.

Next Practice

The Hurricanes will be off on Thursday and return to the practice field Friday afternoon for their third practice of the spring.

They are expected to be in shells.
 8 years ago '04        #5353
booie4 
space
space
The Miami Hurricanes were one of the first teams in the country to start spring practice on Tuesday. I spoke with coach Randy Shannon Tuesday morning about his expectations for the program heading into his third season. Here are the highlights of our conversation:

To start, what are some of your top priorities this spring?

Gary Rothstein/Icon SMI Miami coach Randy Shannon is putting a positive spin on his team's difficult 2009 schedule.
RS: Building depth on the offensive line. The two positions we've got to get some depth at are offensive line and linebacker. We have your so-called first units, but you don't want to get caught in a situation without depth at those positions and that's the one thing we have to develop. We've got a lot of guys back -- (Jason) Fox was a starter, (Joel) Figueroa played a lot, Orlando (Franklin) played a lot, (A.J.) Trump played a lot, (Matt) Pipho played -- but that next batch, we need to develop that sixth, seventh guy.

How many early enrollees do you have?

RS: Six. The last two years we've had seven or eight.

How much will it help you to have those guys for the spring?

RS: It helped us a lot last year because we played so many of those young guys. Of the eight guys that came in, seven helped us last year. These guys come in and they may have an opportunity to help us also. They get ahead.

Do you think the fact that last year's class did that and played so much helped you guys recruit this year because people saw they do have a chance to play as true freshmen at Miami?

RS: I think it did. People understand we're not afraid to play young guys coming in, and that if they're better than the guys we have on the football team they'll definitely get an opportunity to play.

With that said, how big of a step does this sophomore class now have to take and grow up a little bit more?

RS: They have to grow up a lot. Those guys played a lot last year and we have to now move forward. The seniors we do have, they're going to be very key to being leaders now. These guys have played two or three years under the new staff and we look for big things from them.

How did you wind up with such a brutal schedule?

RS: It is what it is, Heather. We have to look at it from the standpoint of, after the first four games you have an opportunity to be in the top 10 in the country. That's how you've gotta look at it. You can't look at it like the world is coming to an end, how are we going to get through this? You can't.

How far back did you schedule Oklahoma?

RS: That was before I was the coach. That was some years ago.

What kind of immediate differences are you hoping your new coordinators can make?

RS: You always want them to make a quick difference. That's the one thing you're always looking for. Offensively, we're looking for the offense to score a lot of points, and defense -- coaches are going to say the same thing -- we want guys to stop guys. We feel like we've got some talent to do that, and we want to be exciting on both sides of the football and have fun.

I know the media has made a lot about the turnover on your staff. Is it important for you to eventually get some staff stability?

RS: Yeah. Eventually. That's what you need to be successful. Sometimes turnover is good, sometimes it's bad, but it seems like everybody in the country is going through turnover right now.

You guys played so well during that five-game winning stretch on defense, is there something you need to do to get back to that?

RS: You know what I think happened? I think with so many young guys playing, we got to that point where, you don't ever want to say hit the wall, but I think they hit the wall at that point in time. That will help us out in the long run because in the upcoming years they'll understand hey, we've been there. Let's move on, we can't slack off.

Do you think that answer you just gave me also translates to the bigger picture with the whole team?

RS: Yes, I think it will. The whole team will understand.

I guess the question is, what do you guys need to do as a team to take the next step? You were in contention there for the Coastal Division.

RS: We were. Until we played Georgia Tech, and that's what got us. I'll tell you what happened. The guys, we're taking everything step by step. The guys understand that and they know we're going to be very competitive and we need everybody to win these games. We don't want anybody to take anything for granted. We need everybody to work hard, and do things on and off the field the right way. And you need a little luck every now and then, but we tell the guys on the team you create your own luck by doing all of the positive things.

How much better do you think your secondary can be than it was last year?

RS: I think it will be a lot better. We've got some young guys back there. You've got Randy Phillips coming back, you've got Demarcus VanDyke, Brandon Harris ... we put some guys over there. Sam Shields is not going to cornerback. He's doing a great job as far as picking it up in the classroom, now we've got to see if he can do it on the field.

You and I have talked before about how the idea of a three-year time limit for head coaches to turn programs around is more of a pressure the media creates, but what are your expectations for yourself? What kind of pressure are you putting on yourself in your third season?

RS: I put more pressure on myself every year to win. That's the one thing you always have to do -- you have to be better than you were the year before to consider that success. I think that's the thing we always have to do as coaches -- be better than you were last year and you will be successful.

How close do you feel you guys are to being where you want Miami to be?

RS: I don't know. I really don't know. It always comes to, like I said, you need a little luck here now and then. Do I think we can do it this year? You always think that as a coach. Realistically, you've got the linebacker position with the depth, and the offensive line position with the depth is going to be key to this team's success.

How does your defensive line look?

RS: We've got a lot of bodies. We've got a lot of guys returning. We've got all of our defensive ends, we've got Eric Moncur coming back. We moved Allen Bailey down to defensive tackle; he's about 300 pounds now. We're athletic, we're young, but we've got a lot of numbers there. A lot of guys up front have played.

I hate asking you this question because I feel like I know your answer, but are there any true freshmen coming in you have a gut feeling are going to make an immediate impact?

RS: Don't know.

I knew it.

RS: You don't know. Every year since I've been here, we've had freshmen come in and play, so there's a chance it may happen.

Aside from building depth, is there a starting position battle that's going to be a good one this spring and summer?

RS: All of them. The one position you could say is quarterback. We've got to find a second guy, which is between Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook. We'll see who emerges as the second guy.

Did that really hurt your depth there, (Robert) Marve leaving?

RS: Yes, but we've got confidence in the other two guys they can get it done. That's why we recruited so many that year.
 8 years ago '04        #5354
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Newly hired defensive coordinator John Lovett is thrilled with the athletes he gets to coach at the University of Miami.

Lovett says he has heard stories from coaching colleagues of the type of players he will get to coach at Miami and now after two days of spring football he is excited about the players he will coach during the 2009 season.

"I am thrilled to death and honored to work here," Lovett said. "I have always wanted to work at this place. Everyone speaks very highly of this place and the history that is here. This place is a powerhouse and where you would like to get an opportunity to work."

"I was hoping [the players] would be like this. That is one of the reasons why I took the job. We have players whose interest level and intensity is at a certain point which I like."

Lovett has been at UM for two weeks now, so he hasn't had time to totally install his defensive playbook. Lovett says his goal this spring isn't to implement all of his defense this spring though, but rather to just get the players familiar with his defensive concepts during the next month.

"We won't get that aggressive," Lovett said of installing a new defense. "We will touch on things so it is not Chinese when we get to the fall, but the thing that is going to win football games for us is executing and effort. If the kids out-execute and give maximum effort, then they will play. I am not trying to scheme coach Whipple, I am just saying this is how we blitz. I don't care what [the offense] is doing because we need to execute."

Even with a new defensive coordinator in place this season, Lovett believes the learning curve won't be too steep because he has many of the same defensive philosophies that Bill Young did.

"I think there is a lot of similarities to what they were trying to do last year to what we want to get done. We may coach some of the schemes differently as far as what our emphasis are, but the basic fundamentals carryover."

"I just want to see them grasp the concepts of what we need to do and play better technique-wise."

Part of the duties at Miami for Lovett is working with the linebackers during practice. Lovett talked about what he has noticed about the group of linebackers after working with them for two practices and why it is important that he works with that unit as the defensive coordinator.

"They are a good core group of guys who want to work hard and learn and get better at their craft," Lovett said. "They have a professional outlook on this. They work at their craft and they try to get better with their technique. They watch a lot of film and ask great questions so you know it is important to him."

"It is right in the middle of the defense, so you are just more involved when you work with the 'backers because they are in the middle of everything."

One of the big goals this spring for Lovett is grooming a middle linebacker for the 2009 season. Lovett talked about both Darryl Sharpton and Arthur Brown and how he is excited to coach athletic linebackers in the middle.

"That is the guy who sets the front and who makes the calls and we will funnel the ball back to him," Lovett said of the middle linebacker. "I think we have a couple of guys in there who have a chance to do pretty well. Sharpton and Arthur Brown is playing there some. Both of those guys are tremendous experience. I can remember recruiting Arthur because we tried to get him to North Carolina."
 8 years ago '04        #5355
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Redshirt freshman Vaughn Telemaque missed the majority of his freshman year with a shoulder injury, but that hasn't stopped him from making an impression on the Miami coaching staff.

Telemaque only played in three games for UM last season, but he is already working with the first team at safety through the first two days of spring football.

"I would like to be the best," Telemaque said of his goals for the upcoming season. "I am a team player first though. My goal is to help the team and to be known as a guy who helps the team is what I want to be known for. I want to be known as a guy who can bring a lot to the team."

Telemaque was a player coach Randy Shannon highlighted after the season as a true freshman who could have made an impact last year if the injury did not occur. He showed enough promise during fall camp and during early season practices to move up to the second team before the injury occurred.

The only adjustment Telemaque says that he had to make from high school to college was understanding how to play within the defense.

"I love to play football, so the instincts and everything like that came natural," Telemaque said. "I just wanted to know the playbook, know the coaches, know the atmosphere of college football, so that is probably the biggest adjustment for me. Everything was pretty natural for me."

"You have to know what you do before you go out there. You could just go out there raw in high school and play deep, but you have to get to know all the formations and tendencies and once you know that stuff you play faster. When you know, you go."

Now that Telemaque is competing for a starter's role during the spring, he says he understands the importance of competing everyday. Telemaque talked about what the starting role means to him and the responsibility that comes with that job.

"It is exciting," Telemaque said of playing with the first team. "You just keep a competitive nature and so I am just excited with everything that is going on and I am just going to keep on going on and stay in my playbook and have fun out here."

"I take it as a challenge. I know everybody else is out there and wanting to start too. You have to keep you mindset there to compete and always be ready to play."

Telemaque's season was cut short by a shoulder injury he sustained during practice. He says now that shoulder is 100 percent healed.

"It hasn't limited me at all," Telemaque said of his shoulder. "This is my first spring, so I am excited to be out there and work some and get myself better. I am not worried about my shoulder. I am taking it to where I am just going to play and my shoulder is at 100 percent."

During his senior year of high school, Telemaque picked off nine passes to help lead his high school to a state championship. Though his strength is tracking down a pass while it is in the air, Telemaque says he is working on becoming a safety who is also strong against the run.

"I want to be an all-around safety," Telemaque said. "I want to help in the run game and pass game and make it exciting where you can get the ball back because it gets the offense excited and the defense is always ready to get out there."

"It is going to be really fun for the team [to make interceptions]. When we get turnovers, it makes the team better. If I get a pick or an interception then everybody is going to feel good and not just me. That is why I want to get it back to being excited and winning in a fashionable way."
 02-26-2009, 10:04 AM         #5356
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Redshirt freshman QB Taylor Cook is battling Cannon Smith to be the team's No. 2 quarterback.

And Cook, who players say has the strongest arm on the team (Cook says he can throw the ball 70 yards downfield), is excited about his progress.

"I've learned steps, drops, reads," Cook said. "It's fun."

Cook says his goal is to be the team's starting quarterback.

"You have to go to No. 2 first," he said of his battle with Smith.

What is he doing better this spring than he did when he arrived last August?

"My throwing motion, I've changed it up a bit," Cook said. "I have a higher release than I used to have. And my footwork has gotten a lot better since when I came in."

Cook says he arrived at UM weighing 220 pounds and is now up to 235.

* Redshirt freshman WR Tommy Streeter says dealing with a wrist injury last year that cost him the season was difficult. He couldn't even work out while recovering.

"I used to cry some of the games, being that I couldn't play," said Streeter, who tore a tendon in the wrist and also had a displaced bone. "Especially the times we were down. It hurt."
Streeter says he hasn't lost any speed from before he was injured.

"Being in the (Andreu) Swasey program I regained everything quickly."

Streeter tapes the wrist before practices to keep it stable.

"There are times it feels a little weak, when blocking," Streeter said. "In a year-and-a-half at the most it'll be 100 percent. There are going to be nicks, I'll feel uncomfortable at times, but I have to look past that. It's a little hindrance."
Streeter's take on new coordinator Mark Whipple?

"I love him," Streeter said. "Coach Whipple has so much NFL experience. He's just a wonderful guy."

* Randy Phillips said today he knew his best option was to return to UM for his senior season coming off a knee injury.

He had LCL surgery Sept. 22.

"I felt real good about the players we had coming back this year and the system," Phillips said. "So I stayed."

Phillips was injured on the first play of the Texas A&M game.

"It was really frustrating watching the guys play," Phillips said of missing the rest of the year. "They did a good job for the situation they were in. This year they have to be a lot stronger, and it's going to start with me as our senior leader, Chavez Grant, Sam Shields and Ryan Hill. We want to be No. 1 and let everyone know by our play on the field."

Phillips is weighing in at 215 pounds. He began last year at 208 pounds.

"It's all muscle," he said. "I worked out really hard."

Phillips says he's not quite 100 percent yet.

But he's getting close.

"I'm running good - it's stable," he said. "I'm back to where I need to be, just need a couple of more tweaks."

Phillips also made a prediction.

"We definitely will have more interceptions this year than last year," Phillips said.

UM had only four interceptions in 2008.

* Randy Shannon said of Sam Shields' transition to cornerback from receiver that "His footwork is pretty good. He's moving around, learning the defense. He looks kind of natural back there. The recognizing routes and all that, he has an advantage because he played some receiver. He's been looking pretty good."

Shannon said Shields' move to CB isn't simply an experiment.

"It's a permanent move," Shannon said.

* Shannon also said there are no plans to move Orlando Franklin from guard to tackle. Matt Pipho is currently working as the first group right tackle.

"We're going to find the best five guys," Shannon said. "If it's all five offensive tackles, all five offensive tackles will be in the game. It could be all tackles, guards. We just have to find the best combination right now."

* Ryan Hill says his return to cornerback from safety isn't too difficult a transition - he was initially recruited as a cornerback before moving to receiver and then safety. Hill says he doesn't see himself playing another snap at safety.

"I'm looking forward to playing cornerback permanently," Hill said. "It's a lot of switching, but it's positions I played before (in high school). I just like to play football."

Hill says it was coaches' decision to move him from safety to cornerback.

"I want to do what's best for the team and also myself," Hill said.

Hill played last year at 195 pounds and is now up to 203. He says he'd like to get up to 210 pounds for the season.

"I want to be agile - if I can still be agile at 210 (that's ideal)."

Hill's goals for the team this year?

"Nothing less than an ACC Championship," he said. "We came so close last year. This is Miami. Everyone comes here to win championships, and that's what we want to do."

Asked the toughest receiver for him to cover, Hill pointed to Aldarius Johnson and Leonard Hankerson.

"They give you a lot of double moves, so you have to respect that - they run real good routes," Hill said. "Those two I have to get in the extra zone when they come up."

Hill also said of Sam Shields' transition from receiver to cornerback that "He's doing a lot better than people expect. He's coming along. This spring will be really good for him, because each day he'll learn."

* Former Cane star Ed Reed attended today's practice. Signees Billy Sanders and Stephen Plein also watched on again.

* The stretch depth chart receivers receivers on Day 2: Aldarius Johnson and Leonard Hankerson were lined up in front with Tommy Streeter and Thearon Collier behind them.

Highlights from the day's work (the team practiced for two hours in shells):

7 on 7

- Jacory Harris hit Aldarius Johnson for a 50-yard gain with Brandon McGee in tight coverage. - Cannon Smith found Leonard Hankerson for a 20-yard gain on the left side.

- Taylor Cook hit Hankerson for 25 yards on the left side. Hankerson got wide open on the play.

11 on 11

- Harris hit Leonard Hankerson for 25 yards down the left side with Chavez Grant in coverage - it was a great touch pass. He also threw a nice touch pass over Demarcus Van Dyke to Hankerson for 20 yards on the right side.

- A pitch to Graig Cooper was fumbled, but Cooper grabbed the bouncing ball on the run and wnt 40 yards downfield before being touched down.

- Ryan Hill intercepted a short pass by Taylor Cook.

* Miami has tomorrow off before returning to practice on Friday. That morning is also UM's NFL Pro Day.

Last edited by The Lefty; 02-26-2009 at 10:05 AM..
 02-26-2009, 03:09 PM         #5357
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Alright, is it March 12 or 16? For when Bryce is going to announce.

Im hearing both dates..
 8 years ago '04        #5358
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Senior Ryan Hill's career at the University of Miami has come full circle.

Hill was recruited by the University of Miami as a cornerback and now after making a few position changes, he will end his career at UM as a cornerback.

Throughout his career at Miami, Hill has played cornerback, wide receiver, safety, and now cornerback again.

Hill says he welcomes the change of positions because he ultimately wants to help the team win any way he can.

"I feel like I have been all around the world," Hill said. "I came here as a cornerback and I am going to leave as a cornerback. I am happy about making the move to cornerback. Anyway I can help my team win, I am going to do it to the best of my ability. I am really excited this year because I know I can really help this team at corner."

According to Hill, he hasn't really had to shake off much rust with the position change back to corner. Hill played safety last season for the Hurricanes and he says the transition to cornerback hasn't been a big difference for him.

"You are still a defensive back, so the main job is to cover and tackle." Hill said. "There are some differences, but they are not big differences. There is always things I am going to have to work on and my main goal is to get better every day."

One positive Hill undoubtedly brings to the cornerback position is size, strength, and an ability to be physical with opposing receiver. Hill says that jamming receivers from the snap is the main objective of what he is trying to get done on the field.

"My main goal is to get physical with receivers," Hill said. "I feel like that is the main reason why they brought me back to cornerback. When I was getting recruited, I modeled Antrel Rolle. That is the player I tried to be and hopefully I can be a big corner like that for Miami."

When asked which receivers have impressed Hill during the offseason seven-on-seven drills and through the first two days of spring football, he names two of the biggest receivers on the Miami roster.

"I like the way Hankerson and Aldarius challenge me because they do double moves and that is the main thing I am trying to work on defending," Hill said. "Everyday when I go up against them I ready myself for that challenge and we just make each other better."

Hill's best friend on the team--Sam Shields--has switched to cornerback this offseason after playing his first three years at Miami at receiver. Hill says that Shields has shown a lot of potential at corner so far through the first two days of spring practice.

"To me, I feel like he is doing a phenomenal job," Hill said. "He is a guy who is a true receiver and who has hardly played any cornerback. He is fast and he has some instincts. Those are the two main things you have to have as a corner and he has that. His feet are really good and he just has to work on the little things. When the season comes along he will be fine and it will look like he has been playing the position for four years."
 8 years ago '04        #5359
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Last season was hard for Tommy Streeter.

So hard, that Streeter would sometimes cry on Saturdays.

"Last year was tough," Streeter said. "After a couple games last year I would cry because I wasn't able to help the team."

Streeter, a standout wide receiver from Northwestern, missed the 2008 season with torn ligaments in his right wrist and had a bone out of place--an injury he suffered in August, which required season-ending surgery.

"Even in practice, there were times where I didn't even feel that I was a part of the team because I was just looking on and I wasn't going through what they were going through so it felt I was distant from the team," Streeter said.

Streeter, 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds, came back late in the year to participate in bowl practices, but only ran routes.

"I prayed, 'Lord, I just wish I could be out there," he said.

Now, Streeter is full-go in spring practices as he competes for playing time with a crowded group of receivers.

"I'm real excited to be back out here after missing the whole season," Streeter said. "I'm just trying to get back in the rhythm of football and reading the defense, getting used to catching passes, getting chemistry with the quarterback since I missed a whole year so I'm just trying to get back in the rhythm of things."

Six freshman wide receivers caught passes last year including Aldarius Johnson and Thearon Collier, who were the top two yardage leaders on the team. Travis Benjamin racked up over 1,000 all-purpose yards and LaRon Byrd led the team with four receiving touchdowns. Davon Johnson and Kendal Thompkins showed flashes throughout the season as well while Streeter watched his peers from the sidelines.

"I always feel like I am behind and that means I have to work twice as hard just to catch up being that I missed a whole season and those guys got a whole year under their belt," Streeter said.

Streeter came to Miami as a highly regarded recruit from Miami Northwestern as he caught 36 passes for 676 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior in 2007 for the national champions.

Throughout the first two days of spring practice, he says he does notice a little discomfort with his wrist, but it is not something that is affecting his play.

"There's times where it feels a little weak when blocking and on contact, but I just tape it up," he said. "I feel it is not going to be the same for a year and a half at most, it would be 100 percent. It is going to be uncomfortable at times, but I have to look past that. It don't affect me too much, but I can feel it from time to time."

While he was out, his teammates helped keep him positive, which benefited him throughout the process.

"A lot of my teammates encouraged me and kept me motivated," Streeter said. "They always let me know that God has a purpose for me and in due time, it will be my time."

Hopefully that time is now.
 8 years ago '04        #5360
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Today was the third day of spring practices. Find out which players stood out, which players were on first and second team, which players were held out, and more in this practice report.

The team was in shoulder pads and shorts.

Former Hurricane and NFL superstar Jon Beason was in attendance as well as former Michigan Heisman Trophy Winner Desmond Howard.

Former Canes Calais Campbell, Freddie Capshaw, Brian Monroe, and Francesco Zampogna were also at practice.

News & Notes

? Head coach Randy Shannon was not at practice as he was in Pittsburgh for a Nike camp.

? WR Tommy Streeter caught a 75-yard touchdown pass from Jacory Harris. Streeter also a 10-yard touchdown pass in the back of the endzone as he made a diving catch, also from Harris.

? LB Kylan Robinson recorded an interception as he continues to play on the first unit as a weakside linebacker.

? WRs LaRon Byrd and Aldarius Johnson both had strong days catching a number of passes while Leonard Hankerson had a tough day with a number of drops.

? RB Graig Cooper had a 12-yard touchdown run up the middle.

? TE Daniel Adderley and FB Patrick Hill each caught touchdown passes during a redzone drill.
Home      

most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
182 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
269 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Teaser
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Air Jordan 11 Space Jam On Feet
31 comments
20 hours ago