Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
SOULJA BOY GOONS steal MIGOS ´CHAIN !!!!!
114 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA NBA.COM fu-ked up.
122 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Slim Jesus Current State of Life
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Kidd Kidd EXPOSES Lil Wayne's Ghostwriters & SLAMS Him For His Black Li..
63 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5221
booie4 
space
space
$4,879 | Props total: 605 605
CORAL GABLES, Fla. --A very pleasant Randy Shannon greeted the media Tuesday afternoon after the University of Miami signed 19 high school seniors led by local prospect Lamar Miller and the Seminole High duo of Ray Ray Armstrong and Dyron Dye.

Although the 'Canes lost out on Monsignor Pace defensive back Kayvon Webster who shocked people by signing with South Florida over the 'Canes after he'd been a UM commitment for a number of months, Shannon was pleased with his class and happy that they were able to fill some needs in terms of depth.

"This is a terrific day for our football team and the University of Miami. We went out and filled a couple of needs we are excited about this class, and I am very excited for this class," Shannon said. "I am thankful I have a coaching staff that went out and did a great job."

Shannon said that while the 'Canes had targeted signing between 22 and 24 players, the 'Canes still are looking for maybe two more spots before calling this class complete.

"These are the guys that we targeted to get in the program. A lot of times you try to sign more guys than you need. We needed to get offensive linemen, we needed to get running backs. You need to look two years ahead. We have to expect that if Cooper has a great year next year and with Javarris as a senior you better have guys that have playing experience," Shannon said.

That means Miller and fellow running back Mike James can expect to get some kind of playing time, even if it's just with the Special Teams since the key with this class is needed depth.

With the change of heart in tight end Billy Sanders who committed to Miami, then changed his mind to UCLA, only to sign with UM today, the 'Canes picked up two tight ends with he and Stephen Plein.

"We got two tight ends in this class. We always wanted more, but we're excited about it," Shannon said. "We still have some room. The reason why you keep room is because of guys like Russell Maryland, Ray Lewis, guys may pop up when you go back out in May who haven't signed with anybody and you are fortunate enough to stumble across those kind of players."

If Miami is fortunate enough to find a diamond in the rough like that in May, it would be surprising, but the 'Canes are obviously still waiting on running back Bryce Brown, although based on his statements over the past month, it seems possible he may go elsewhere since Miami didn't pick up anymore offensive linemen such as Peter White, Andrew Tiller, Bobby Massie, Daniel Campbell or Quinton Washington.

"The target number we wanted to sign was 24, 22, maybe Cooper would leave if he had a great year, maybe Fox would leave. We have about two spots that we want to get involved in," Shannon said.
Although the Class of 2008 made a huge impact immediately because of the need to play a large quantity of minutes, the same expectations aren't held on this group.

"I think the guys, if you look at the guys, we have six guys who came in January, those guys will get the first crack, then the others. We needed depth on the offensive line. I told the coaches if we could have signed ten offensive linemen with this class, we would have. We was able to get five," Shannon said.

But the job is still not done although Shannon is happy with the numbers at certain positions.

"We still have to get depth on this football team. Depth situations, I think at defensive line, we finally got our numbers right. We still don't have the offensive line numbers right, we got running backs, receivers, right, tight ends right, quarterbacks will be a big issue for us next year," Shannon said.
 8 years ago '04        #5222
booie4 
space
space
Christopher Stock, David Lake, and Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat each discuss their top five freshmen that Miami signed on Wednesday.

All of the answers differed and two different players received votes as the top player Miami signed.

Christopher Stock Says...

1. RB Lamar Miller

With all of the hoopla surrounding Bryce Brown, Miller has gone extremely under the radar. Miller's speed is phenomenal. He has excellent acceleration, hits the holes fast, and pulls away from defensive backs. In every game we saw him play this year, he constantly came up with long runs. His top speed you love to see from a running back and the fact that has done track since sixth grade should excite you even more. I think Miller, who is a solid 5-11 and 208 pounds, will add his name to the list of great running backs at Miami by the end of his career. He can be great immediately. Just give him the ball.

2. S Ray Ray Armstrong

Armstrong is the definition of a tough football player. Miami has gotten away from these types of players--players with swagger, confidence, and guys that play hard. I do believe Armstrong can play safety at Miami. Everyone expects him to move to outside linebacker, which he would be successful there too, but I believe he will be a very good safety. Play him at strong safety and let either Vaughn Telemaque or Prince Kent roam at free safety in the future. Armstrong is a guy that you point towards that can have a future at the next level as well. Oh, and word out of UM is that the coaching staff wants to give Armstrong No. 26, previously worn by the great, late Sean Taylor.

3. CB Brandon McGee

McGee has excellent physical tools beginning with his speed. I think it might take a little bit to get him adjusted to going against college corners, but once he gets the technique down, he'll be an excellent corner. McGee also carries himself very well and should be a model citizen at UM similar to the way Kelly Jennings carried himself in his career at Miami. McGee, like Miller and Armstrong, has a strong chance of being an All-ACC performer in his career.

4. DB Prince Kent

Now it gets a bit interesting with Kent, who has only been playing football since his sophomore year. He is an excellent athlete, who will do very well with college coaching. The UM staff might have to be patient with Kent in his development if they want him to play cornerback. Right now, he doesn't quite have the footwork for the next level, but that does not mean he can't get it. He could also play safety and be very good there as well. I like his upside a whole lot as a player. I like his character even more.

5. OL Brandon Washington

I had one college coach at another school tell me that Washington is an "extremely, extremely talented player" and you have to agree with that. He's athletic for a big guy and plays with toughness. The former Edison and Northwestern star now has a year of prep school under his belt, which will only had to his toughness. The thing about Washington that one will have to watch is how well he matures in college. He could have Orlando Franklin written all over--an extremely talented lineman, who just takes a while to get it. But once he does, look out.

David Lake Says...

1. S Ray Ray Armstrong

Armstrong is the definition of the type of player Miami needs to recruit every year. He plays with an unparalleled passion and swagger on the field and he has the ability to will his team to victory from almost any position on the field. Ray Ray is the ultimate competitor who is also a physical specimen at 6-feet-4 and 215 pounds and he can play a myriad of positions. Armstrong's love for the game of football is contagious and he elevates the play of his teammates around him.

2. DE Dyron Dye

I like Dye for many of the same reasons I like my number one selection, Ray Ray Armstrong. Dye is a proven winner who plays with a high motor and a very strong passion for the game. I believe Dye has just begun to scratch the surface of his potential as a football player. Once he gains the weight he needs for the college level and he gains the technique that comes with college coaching, Dye will be a scary pass rusher off the edge.

3. RB Lamar Miller

Miller is a freak. He is an extremely solid 208 pounds and he is also one of the top ten sprinters in the state at that size. Miller is by far the best prospect in Dade county and he will bring a needed home run threat to the Miami offense from the running back position. Miller is the type of running back Miami has when they are at their best--a big versatile back who can pick up short yards and bust an 80-yard touchdown run.

4. OL Brandon Washington

Washington will likely need to shed a little bit of weight during the spring, but come next season I believe he will be a major part of the rotation at guard and pushing for a starting job. Washington is very athletic for a player his size. His ceiling is extremely high and he will be as good he wants to be. I believe he will prove to be Miami's best sign on the offensive line for this class.

5. DB Prince Kent

I ultimately like Kent as a safety and I think he has the ability to be a great free safety. Kent is a player with long arms and a tall build. He would be the perfect candidate for the free safety position to knock down deep passes in center field. I also like Kent's intangibles that he brings to the game. He is a very hard worker who will put in the extra time to be great. Kent is a very coachable player.

Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat Says...

1. S Ray Ray Armstrong

Can you say Sean Taylor? That's what Ray Ray is going to be, it's simply a matter of time. At 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Armstrong is a physical freak already. It's going to be scary how good he can and will be. He has first round NFL Draft Pick written all over him. Hopefully, he sticks around for four years.

2. RB Lamar Miller

Miller is the running back of this class that will be special regardless of whether or not Bryce Brown decides the University of Miami is worthy of his services. Miller runs a blazing 4.3 in the 40 and is already weighing at about 205 pounds. He's only going to keep on getting bigger and faster, scary fast. And lets face it, Miami competition is always going to be better than the competition in Kansas.

3. OL Brandon Washington

He should turn into one dominant offensive lineman. After having to go to prep school last year, he's tipping the scales at 350 pounds. Now, if he's as quick as he was at Northwestern weighing 350 pounds, I pity defensive ends and linebackers who are going to run into him pulling at guard. Washington will be a pro.

4. CB Brandon McGee

McGee has the smarts to be a great corner even if he doesn't know technique because he simply understands the game. But there is no doubt that McGee will learn the proper technique to be a phenomenal cornerback. And of course, McGee is physically solid and has blazing speed running the 100 in 10.4.

5. QB A.J. Highsmith

Wherever Highsmith is put on the field, he's going to be successful. At some point he will play quarterback and if he's really given the chance to play quarterback, he'd probably redshirt this year to separate him from Jacory Harris. But even at defensive back or wide receiver, Highsmith knows the game and he'll be good anywhere.

ESPNU Says...

1. S Ray Ray Armstrong

Armstrong is possibly the best overall athlete in this class in relation to his size. At 6'4 215 and the versatility to play just about any skill position on either side of the ball, Armstrong will likely project as a safety initially and then grown into an outside linebacker. Works as this teams QB, but moves around to various spots and is a real mismatch for defenses with the ball in his has.

2. CB Prince Kent

Kent is a great prospect with exceptional skills for a cornerback with his size. He is tall, rangy and very high-cut, but has good transitional quickness and is very smooth in his movements. Provides great support versus both the run and pass making safety a likely possibility with his large frame.

3. CB Brandon McGee

Has great feet and suddenness as a runner. Shows exceptional lateral quickness and burst. Has a long, smooth stride and would be a huge vertical threat on deep routes at wideout. He's extremely dangerous when he breaks contain and can force opponents to defend both the run and pass. Makes a lot of things happen after the initial play breaks down. He's elusive and has an impressive second gear in the open field.

4. CB Jamal Reid

eid is simply a fabulous athlete with good size, speed, movement skills and perhaps some of the better ball skills in this class. The game comes naturally to him, but he is still very fundamentally sound as a football player. Tall, with a long, high-cut frame. Fine muscle tone but will need to add good bulk and strength to remain productive at the next level.

5. RB Lamar Miller

Miller is a quick-footed prospect with a supreme blend of size and speed. He has a taller, chiseled frame with the room to bulk up (to around 215 pounds) and remain durable while carrying the load. He's a better perimeter back than interior runner, despite his size.

InsideTheU Poll Says...

(10 points for 1st place, 8 points for 2nd place, 6 for 3rd place, etc.)

1. S Ray Ray Armstrong - 38 points (3 first place votes)

2. RB Lamar Miller - 26 points (1 first place vote)

3. CB Brandon McGee - 16 points

4. CB Prince Kent - 14 points

5. OL Brandon Washington - 12 points

6. DE Dyron Dye - 8 points

7. CB Jamal Reid - 4 points

8. QB A.J. Highsmith - 2 points

Feb. 6, 2009
 8 years ago '05        #5223
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
damn this dude ray ray sounds like the truth
 02-07-2009, 03:42 PM         #5224
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
everything im hearing about Lamar Miller is dope as hell..
 8 years ago '04        #5225
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
Signing Day Wrap-Up

DURHAM, N.C. -- It's been more than 48 hours since Randy Shannon and recruiting coordinator Clint Hurtt wrapped the 2009 Signing Class. And now that I've had time to get through my basketball a.ssignments, I can reflect on what I learned, what I like and what I don't like about the 19 players UM inked (as well as the ones that got away).

> What the original goal was: Much to my surprise (after I went back and looked through the Eye On The U archives) Hurtt told me on National Signing Day last year the program was looking to sign between 19-21 recruits. Hurtt's exact breakdown? 1 QB, 2 RBs, 1 WR, 3-4 TEs, 4-5 OLs, 2 DEs, 2 DTs, 1 LB, 3 CBs, 1 S.

> What ended up happening: With the exception of falling a few tight ends short of the goal (blame the Robert Marve fiasco for UM not getting Orson Charles), Miami basically nailed exactly what Hurtt targeted a year ago. Yes, UM swung and missed on some big times. But in my opinion they set a goal to fill needs and accomplished it.

AJ Highsmith Quarterback: With Robert Marve and Jacory Harris expected to be a part of the future for a long time, UM never made this position a priority. That's why you never saw the Canes really make an effort to go after Miramar's Eugene Smith (West Virginia). So, when A.J. Highsmith (6-0, 190) committed back in February, the Canes were content with taking a player who could potentially switch positions. Now, because of Marve's departure, Highsmith will come in as a quarterback. And he's not a bad one. Highsmith led his team to the Texas state championship. As a senior at Hightower High, he thrw for 2,192 yards, 28 touchdowns and four interceptions. I wouldn't be surprised if he never switches positions after all.

Overall grade: B+. By not scrambling at the last minute to take another QB after Marve left, UM kept itself in position to sign another top-tier quarterback this year and not have him be scared off by the depth chart.

Looking ahead: Central's Jeffrey Godfrey is obviously the local talent Miami could chase after and I expect the Hurricanes will (his former high school coach is Randy Shannon's right hand man, Corey Bell). But I suspect his size (6-feet, 190-pounds) could play a role. If Miami has a chance to get a taller quarterback with similar skills or better, they will.

Running backs: With Javarris James and Graig Cooper close to seeing their careers end as Canes, Miami targeted two talented backs from the get-go -- the nation's top back Bryce Brown and k!llian's Lamar Miller. That was supposed to be it. But when fears of possible academic problems for Miller were raised, Miami went out and got themselves something better than an insurance policy, 5-11, 220-pound running back Mike James from Davenport, Fla. Now, Miller and James are the two running backs who are signed and it's Brown (who committed way back in February) who is iffy.

Mike James Overall grade: A. Even if Brown decides not to come, I think Miami has scored huge with Miller and James. So, should Bryce decide he doesn't like UM's offense, the offensive line, the weather in January or the color of the tulips in June, don't worry, the Hurricanes will be just fine. Miller (5-11, 205) isn't another Bobby Washington, Charlie Jones or Tyrone Moss. He's a passionate kid who takes care of his body and runs hard every time he touches the football. And he proved it against not only a tough Dade County this year, but against the great Northwestern teams of the past few years. Ask Sean Spence about the blur he and his teammates couldn't catch when Miller was a sophomore and junior. In the end, he may not turn out to be another Willis McGahee or Frank Gore, but Miller will certainly be better than the other local guys who have come through here and were average at best.

As for James, I don't know a whole lot about him because I never watched him play in person. But from what I've heard from guys like Larry Blustein and Charles Fishbein is he's a better between the tackles runner than Miller, who is more of a hit the corner and see-you later guy. What I like about Mike and the conversations I've had with him over the phone is that he's an intelligent guy who is thoroughly excited to be playing at UM. Too bad Bryce isn't that way.

Looking ahead: There is certainly a wealth of talent available locally at this position. In Dade, you have Central's Brandon Gainer, Booker T.'s Eduardo Clements, Columbus' Jakhari Gore and Northwestern's Corvin Lamb. In Broward, you got Taravella's Devon Wright, St. Thomas' Giovanni Bernard and James White. Still worried about Bryce Brown not coming? My guess is UM will take between 2 or 3 RBs depending on whether or Brown comes.

Receivers: Considering the number of receivers Miami signed in its last class, the Hurricanes were simply swinging for the fences with the 2009 class. They took two real cuts -- going after Bastrop, Louisiana's Reuben Randle and Sanford Seminole's Andre Debose.

Overall grade: B. How do you get a grade when you don't sign a receiver? You get graded on everything all the time. And the Canes get a good grade here for being smart. Even though they didn't get Randle or Debose, they didn't waste a scholarship on some other receivers just to say they did. That being said, while Jamal Reid will probably be used as a cornerback, don't rule out the possibility he becomes the one receiver Miami has in this class. And if that's the case, I think Reid will be really, really good. Of what I saw of him this season, I really liked.

Looking ahead: The Hurricanes are going to need to go out and sign at least two in this class if they're smart because there is a real possibility Aldarius Johnson and LaRon Byrd could be heading to the NFL after the 2010 season. Locally, there are some good products to choose from -- Booker T. Washington has two in Ted Meline (6-2, 170) and Quinton Dunbar (6-3, 177). But my favorites are Northwestern's Michael Lee Harris (6-1, 175), Central's Joshua Reese (5-10, 170) and Miramar's Ivan McCartney (6-2, 175). If I had to pick two, I'd take McCartney and Harris.

Tight ends: Of all the positions UM recruited, this is the one area I think Shannon and his a.ssistants could have done much better. While it's obviously hard to recruit tight ends in South Florida, UM had the opportunity to go after St. Thomas' Gabe Holmes (signed with Purdue) and didn't. Instead, they put all their eggs into two baskets -- Tampa Plant's Orson Charles (Georgia) and Billy Sanders. Then, they got desperate and went all out after Sheldon Richardson (Missouri). Miami ended up getting Sanders back in the end, but it would have been disastrous had they not. Stephen Plein (6-6, 250) is listed as a tight end, but I doubt he ever catches a ball.

Orson Charles Overall grade: D. Sanders could turn out to be a good tight end. But I don't envision him being a superstar. When I spoke to his mother she told me part of the reason he was turned off by UCLA was because they talked to him about playing defensive end. If the Bruins are thinking that how good could Sanders, who played in Idaho, really be? The good news is he has some good genes. His father Bill played in the NFL with the New York Jets.

Looking ahead: With two seniors slated to leave after next season in Dedrick Epps and Richard Gordon, Miami obviously is going to have to make this position a priority. Locally, Miami has a chance to go after Monsignor Pace's Charles' Fashaw (6-5, 210) or Palm Beach Dwyer's Gerald Christian (6-3, 230). But the emphasis is probably going to have to be put on places like Texas, Georgia and California.

8 years ago '04        #5226
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Offensive line: For a school that hardly ever reels in high-caliber offensive linemen, I have to give the Canes credit for at least being in the game late for several of the nation's best. From my conversation with coaches, they really believed they had a great shot at getting not only Marcus Hall (who signed with Ohio State) but also Peter White (Maryland). Both would have been the home runs Miami was looking for. Instead, the Canes kept Brandon Washington (2008 signee) and flat out snook in Jermaine Johsnon (6-6, 304), who by the way is two years removed from high school and very good. Both should instantly find their way into coach Jeff Stoutland's rotation, if not the starting lineup by season's end.

Malcolm Bunche As for the others, Malcolm Bunche (6-5, 315) is a player I really like. The fact he is not some big, flabby kid, but a real muscle, moving athlete tells me the Canes got themselves a heck of a player. He's going to need time to adjust to the speed as his coach told me, but I think it Bunche is the type of kid you will be able to count on as a two-year starter. Next up are Plantation American Heritage's Jared Wheeler (6-6, 305) and Fleming Island's Cory White (6-5, 250). Wheeler is a good player, who has the ability to play anywhere on the line right now. But he's going to take time and I envision him being sort of an A.J. Trump type talent, who will flourish late in his career. The same figures to happen for White, who started at left tackle all season in high school. White some thought he might be at tight end, Canes coaches fully expect White to put on weight.

Overall grade: B. The Canes had a chance to really finally land the big-name out of state lineman they needed. But they missed. In the end, though, they fixed their immediate problems.

Looking ahead: There isn't a player Miami needs to land more in its 2010 class than St. Thomas Aquinas' Brandon Linder. This kid has been the best offensive linemen in the state since he was sophomore. Miami offered him on the first day they could -- along with Florida and Notre Dame. He will be Broward's No. 1 recruit this year and quite possibly the best overall player in South Florida. After Linder, look for Miami to lock up Northwestern left tackle Torrian Wilson (6-3, 315). The kid is a quality prospect. If Miami gets those two, everything else will be gravy. Booker T. Washington's Jose Jose (6-0, 340) and Monsignor Pace's John Ragoo (6-6, 340) are nice fall back plans for now. I also like Cypress Bay's Joe McNamara (6-2, 275). I consider him this year's Stephen Jacques (USF).

Dyron Dye Defensive line: Considering Miami was able to get talents like Marcus Forston, Micanor Regis and Jeremy Lewis, the fact Miami didn't grab one of the nation's best at defensive tackle doesn't both me one bit. As it stands with Luther Robinson (6-3, 280), and Curtis Porter, a clone of Antonio Dixon at 6-2, 334, what the Canes got was more than enough. Defensive end was the bigger need and I thought Miami did as good a job as they could there, yanking Dyron Dye down and holding onto the best defensive player in South Florida this year in Olivier Vernon. If Vernon can get healthy, he will be another great pass rusher alongside Marcus Robinson.

Overall grade: A. Miami tried to get Richardson, Gary Brown (Florida), William Campbell (Michigan), Arby Jones (Georgia) and Nick Kasa (Colorado). They just weren't going to win the battle playing on the road. Although, it will be upsetting if South Dade's Ed Stinson (Alabama) turns out to be a stud. Miami never really went after him.

Looking ahead: You can tell who the best recruiters are in the business when you've already got kids locked in for the next signing class before the current one is finished. Both of UM's 2010 commitments are defensive tackles. And both are studs. Louis Nix (Jacksonville Raines) and Todd Chandler (Miami Northwestern) are going to be Top 100 players nationally and both are already committed to the Canes. Tip your cap to Mr. Hurtt. The next player UM needs to lock down is Hialeah defensive end Corey Lemonier (6-4, 240). Get him and keep him and you are set for 2010. FYI, should Nix skip out on the Canes, look for Ricky Joseph (6-2, 300) at Miami Northwestern or Delvin Jones (6-6, 235) from Miami Palmetto to jump into the picture.

Linebackers: After tight end, I'd consider linebacker the next biggest disappointment in terms of recruiting in the '09 Class. Yes, Miami signed seven linebackers last season. But two will never play here -- Zach Kane and Antonio Harper -- and another, Brandon Marti, needs to overcome some off the field issues. While UM should be in good shape with Sean Spence, Jordan Futch, Ramon Buchanon and Arthur Brown for the next few years, they would have been smart to get at least two linebackers in this class. They tried to get Jacksonville's Sam Barrington, but he passed and went to South Florida. They did, however, get 6-2, 235-pound Shayon Green from Tift, Ga. Green could sprout into the big middle linebacker Miami needs down the road. But right now he looks a lot like another Spencer Adkins to me.

Overall grade: C. There were two really good local players Miami didn't really go after hard enough -- Gulliver Prep's Frankie Telfort (USC) and St. Thomas' Conner O'Neil (Wisconsin). Either one of those two guys should have been part of this class. Hopefully, the Canes won't regret it down the road.

Looking ahead: Coach Randy Shannon said in his press conference linebacker is going to be one of his priorities next season. I'm not sure the guy he wants is in his backyard. Gulliver Prep's Ralph Williams (6-1, 215), Hallandale's Rashad Gaitor (6-2, 205) and St. Thomas' Bincent Mauro (6-2, 210) are nice options, but not game breakers.

Defensive backs: Here's where Miami signed their most talented playmakers -- and in the area where it needed it sorely. No, the Canes didn't go out and get the natural corner, but who is these days? Most kids in high school do not play in very complex coverage schemes.

Ray Ray Armstrong What UM got were talented, smart, heady kids. Nobody impresses me more in the group than Ray Ray Armstrong (6-4, 215). Here's a kid who has superstar written all over him. When I close my eyes and picture Ray Ray two images come to mind: The guy that took off from about the five yard line in the state championship game against Northwestern, leaped over two defenders and landed in the end zone. And when I visited him and he found out I was from a Miami newspaper before the Class 6A state champion game. Armstrong got angry because he thought I was there to scout for the Bulls and refused to talk to me. Got to love that if you bleed green and orange. He's that crazy and that competitive. Armstrong isn't the only special talent. Jamal Reid (6-1, 175), Brandon McGee (5-11, 180) and Prince Kent (6-3, 195) are all physically gifted to.

Overall grade: A. It was obviously disappointing to lose Kayvon Webster to USF on Signing Day. But it's not the end of the world. Webster was probably right. He'll have a better chance to play with the Bulls. He's a very good player, but probably just on par with the four Miami did get.

Looking ahead: With a few more seniors heading out the door after this coming season, UM once again has to bring in at least 2 to 3 more defensive backs. If that's the case, the Canes might just want to setup shop at St. Thomas where Cody Riggs (5-10, 165) and Brian Robinson (6-0, 195) are two of the best around. Or, they could try and do all they can to keep Southwest's Lamarcus Joyner (5-8, 160) from heading up the road to Tallahassee (he's an FSU fan). Personally, if they don't get Joyner, I'd settle for Gideon Ajagbe (6-2, 200) from Ransom Everglades or Devin Drane (5-11, 175) from Plantation. Both of those guys are very good.
 02-08-2009, 02:19 AM         #5227
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Reading through some sh*t today on Rivals, can't believe how stacked South Florida is going to be next year..
 8 years ago '04        #5228
booie4 
space
space
SANFORD, Fla. -- Every great recruiter knows that you not only have to sell your program to a prospective recruit, you have to also sell it to the parents.

Henry Dye and Albert Armstrong, parents of 2009 Miami signees Dyron and Ray Ray, are perfect examples of how Randy Shannon and his staff sold a family on UM.

Both Henry and Albert mentioned that Miami's recruiting approach was unique compared to the other schools who were pursuing their sons.

What made UM's recruiting pitch special was that it centered around being a family and how that is the primary focus of the Hurricane football program.

"Miami is a real family atmosphere," Henry Dye said. "They talk family down there and it is really just that. For me, even outside of the family thing, just seeing the size of the classrooms I know he will do well in that setting and also with the ability to get to him in a few hours is nice too."

Albert Armstrong reiterated that the family recruiting pitch is what ultimately convinced Ray Ray Miami was the place for him.

"They take a family approach that they sell to the kids," Albert said. "The school itself only holds about 10,000 students, so everybody seems like they are close knit. With the visits we took to Miami, we got to see first hand what they mean about family there. Everybody supports each other and they all have their hand in keeping the family unit strong there."

Henry Dye said that he was impressed by Miami's family atmosphere when he saw in person during the spring that many of UM's ex players came back to the school to workout during the offseason and guide the current crop of Hurricane football players.

Dye said he took the time to talk with NFL players such as Edgerrin James and Jonathan Vilma when they came back to UM during the spring.

"I had a better rapport with the Miami coaches than I did with the other coaches," Henry Dye said. "All the coaches were good, but the Miami coaches just had something. Then all the people around the program are so warm too. I met some ex players that are now in the NFL and out of the NFL--they are all like family and they always come back to the university."

The final selling point that scored major points with the parents of Ray Ray and Dyron was the attitude and direction that coach Randy Shannon is directing the Hurricane program toward.

Both parents have total faith that Shannon is the right man to guide their sons in life and on the football field.

"With coach Shannon, he was upfront and real with us," Henry Dye said. "He was just an open person with us and I love that about him so much. He is an amazing person and I believe in my heart that Ray Ray and Dyron will have a chance to win a National Championship."

"Coach Shannon will have a bright future," Albert Armstrong said. "With Ray Ray he is pulling in a five star athlete that plays with a big heart. Coach Shannon is a serious coach who has a lot of discipline. That is something I want instilled in my son because when all the players start listening to the leaders on the field and in the classroom then the program turns into something special."
 8 years ago '04        #5229
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
"The U" Crew 2009

hopefully brandon mcgee gets his form down at CB during the spring, he's too special of an athlete to not be on the field.

and lamar miller will be a stud regardless if brown comes or not.
beasting in miami-dade class 6-A competition >>>
 8 years ago '04        #5230
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 The Lefty said:
everything im hearing about Lamar Miller is dope as hell..
yep. he is. If he qualifies, which i think he is, lamar is gonna be eating motherfu*kers for breakfast. Also, it seems that Mike James running in between the tackles is something we have missed since the Frank Gore games, so i'm really excited about that. Too bad that JJ gets hurt all the time and Coop can't break any tackles.

madness said:
"The U" Crew 2009

hopefully brandon mcgee gets his form down at CB during the spring, he's too special of an athlete to not be on the field.

and lamar miller will be a stud regardless if brown comes or not.
beasting in miami-dade class 6-A competition >>>
That's what i been saying. Bryce might be dope as hell but he ain't play against any sort of competition in Kansas. He only outrushed Lamar by like 200 yards and Lamar played 6A in the most talented bed of the country, dade county.
 8 years ago '04        #5231
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
seems we have a new DC.

UM FOOTBALL
Miami Hurricanes expected to hire UNC's John Lovett for defense
Former Butch Davis a.ssistant John Lovett, the special teams coordinator at North Carolina, is expected to be announced as UM's next defensive coordinator this week.
Get Adobe Flash player
UNC coach Butch Davis, left, talks with special teams coordinator John Lovett during a 2007 game against Maryland.
UNC coach Butch Davis, left, talks with special teams coordinator John Lovett during a 2007 game against Maryland.
ROBERT WILLETT / THE NEWS & OBSERVER

* Photo

Related Content

* Blog | Eye on the U

BY MANNY NAVARRO

University of Miami head coach Randy Shannon told reporters last week that if he couldn't find a defensive coordinator before spring practices begin in two weeks, he would coach the defense himself.

Shannon isn't going to have to pull double-duty after all.

A high-ranking source close to the situation told The Miami Herald on Monday that North Carolina special teams coach and defensive a.ssistant John Lovett will be hired to coach the Canes' defense next season.

Pending drug-test results and human resources protocol, Lovett's hiring is expected to be announced as early as Wednesday. A news conference likely will be held after the announcement is made.

Lovett, 58, becomes the third defensive coordinator in three seasons at UM and the third since Shannon was promoted from the post to head coach in 2007. Lovett replaces Bill Young, who left UM for his alma mater Oklahoma State late last month.

Like Young did a year ago, Lovett comes to Miami with a wealth of experience. He has spent 15 seasons coaching as a defensive coordinator with stops at Bowling Green, Clemson, Auburn and Maine.

Lovett was hired by former Canes coach Butch Davis two years ago at UNC to be the teams' special teams coordinator and defensive a.ssistant. In two seasons, he helped kick returner Brandon Tate establish the ACC career mark for kickoff return yards and kicker Conner Barth set the UNC record for career field goals.

Before then Lovett was at Bowling Green for two seasons. In his first season, Bowling Green ranked 20th in the country in turnover margin.

Prior to his stop at Bowling Green, Lovett spent three seasons as the defensive coordinator at Clemson (2002-04). There, he developed one of the ACC's top defenses. Clemson ranked 11th in the nation in pass defense efficiency and 26th in total defense in 2004.

Before that, Lovett was defensive coordinator at Auburn from 1999 to 2001 and Maine for five seasons (1985-88, 1994).

At Auburn in 2001, his defense shut down Steve Spurrier's No. 1-ranked team at Florida, holding them to minus-36 yards rushing and a season-low in points and total offense. In 2000, his defense ranked 14th in the nation in total defense and 15th in rushing defense.
 8 years ago '04        #5232
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
 Cap Peeler said:
seems we have a new DC.

UM FOOTBALL
Miami Hurricanes expected to hire UNC's John Lovett for defense
Former Butch Davis a.ssistant John Lovett, the special teams coordinator at North Carolina, is expected to be announced as UM's next defensive coordinator this week.
Get Adobe Flash player
ROBERT WILLETT / THE NEWS & OBSERVER

* Photo

Related Content

* Blog | Eye on the U

BY MANNY NAVARRO

University of Miami head coach Randy Shannon told reporters last week that if he couldn't find a defensive coordinator before spring practices begin in two weeks, he would coach the defense himself.

Shannon isn't going to have to pull double-duty after all.

A high-ranking source close to the situation told The Miami Herald on Monday that North Carolina special teams coach and defensive a.ssistant John Lovett will be hired to coach the Canes' defense next season.

Pending drug-test results and human resources protocol, Lovett's hiring is expected to be announced as early as Wednesday. A news conference likely will be held after the announcement is made.

Lovett, 58, becomes the third defensive coordinator in three seasons at UM and the third since Shannon was promoted from the post to head coach in 2007. Lovett replaces Bill Young, who left UM for his alma mater Oklahoma State late last month.

Like Young did a year ago, Lovett comes to Miami with a wealth of experience. He has spent 15 seasons coaching as a defensive coordinator with stops at Bowling Green, Clemson, Auburn and Maine.

Lovett was hired by former Canes coach Butch Davis two years ago at UNC to be the teams' special teams coordinator and defensive a.ssistant. In two seasons, he helped kick returner Brandon Tate establish the ACC career mark for kickoff return yards and kicker Conner Barth set the UNC record for career field goals.

Before then Lovett was at Bowling Green for two seasons. In his first season, Bowling Green ranked 20th in the country in turnover margin.

Prior to his stop at Bowling Green, Lovett spent three seasons as the defensive coordinator at Clemson (2002-04). There, he developed one of the ACC's top defenses. Clemson ranked 11th in the nation in pass defense efficiency and 26th in total defense in 2004.

Before that, Lovett was defensive coordinator at Auburn from 1999 to 2001 and Maine for five seasons (1985-88, 1994).

At Auburn in 2001, his defense shut down Steve Spurrier's No. 1-ranked team at Florida, holding them to minus-36 yards rushing and a season-low in points and total offense. In 2000, his defense ranked 14th in the nation in total defense and 15th in rushing defense.
You better hope yall's offense is great next year. What they got going on at Miami??? Either Shannon sucks at hiring a.ssistants or the university won't open up the checkbook

Look at Lovett's stops

Auburn DC >> Clemson DC >>> Bowling Green DC >>>> UNC ST coach

see the trend?? at this hire

and I like Miami ... not hating
 8 years ago '04        #5233
booie4 
space
space
It appears that Randy Shannon has decided he will be handing off the defensive coordinator duties to someone else after all just in time for Spring practice as it's been reported that North Carolina defensive a.ssistant John Lovett will be named the new defensive coordinator as early as Wednesday.

Lovett will become the third defensive coordinator under Shannon in his three years as head coach.

Similar to former defensive coordinator Bill Young, Lovett brings a wealth of experience including stints at defensive coordinator at Clemson, Auburn and Bowling Green which is a big positive for Miami.

However, similar to Young, Lovett is known for blitzing and that's something that Shannon is not real big on so it will be interesting to see what kind of defense Miami runs, but there is no doubt it will be the 4-3.

He's aggressive on defense which means that Miami will probably play a lot more man coverage on the edges, but he's also experienced within the ACC and the has been a known recruiter in the Northeast, an area that Miami has always recruited well since the time in the Big East.

Over the past two years, Lovett has coached North Carolina's Special Teams and been a defensive a.ssistant. His Special Teams were some of the best at North Carolina with Brandon Tate returning kickoffs and Connor Barth setting the North Carolina field goals record.

While coaching at Bowling Green, his first season there his defense ranked 20th in the country in turnover margin. His defense at Clemson was one of the best in the country, ranked 11th nationally against the pass and 26th overall in 2004.

He's also coached under another former Hurricanes coach when at Auburn under Tommy Tuberville who has spoken very highly of him.

At Auburn, his defense was 14th nationally overall and 15th against the run in 2000.

Before joining the ranks of major college football, Lovett coached at Maine for five years

Now, under Butch Davis, there is no doubt that the voices of former Hurricanes coaches have played a role in his expected hiring as Tuberville was apparently one of the major proponents for Lovett being hired.
 8 years ago '04        #5234
booie4 
space
space
Wichita East running back Bryce Brown will announce his final decision on March 12, which is when he will sign his letter of intent.

Brown says he remains committed to Miami, but has been taking his time in signing his letter of intent.

Brown has taken official visits to Missouri, Oregon, and Clemson.

He will take his fourth trip to Tennessee on February 14.

And on February 28, he will take his fifth and final visit to either LSU, Miami, or USC.

Brown's mentor, Brian Butler, was recently quoted saying Brown would be interested in listening to the CFL if they were to offer millions of dollars, then he would consider skipping college.

On Tuesday night, Butler denied that Brown was considering the CFL.

"Bryce Brown is not or ever was considering the CFL," Butler said in a statement. "No one from the CFL has ever been in contact with anyone from the Brown camp. Bryce is taking his final two visits and after that he will make his decision."

Brown rushed for 1,873 yards and 29 touchdowns during his senior season averaging 9.2 yards a carry.

He recently told InsideTheU.com his goal for the 2009 season.

"The only thing I can tell you is, it might say sound crazy, but I'm dead serious, the only thing I'm thinking about is being in the Heisman race next year," Brown said.
 02-10-2009, 10:42 AM         #5235
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Heisman.. wow
 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM         #5236
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jeremy Crabtree
Recruiting Editor

Bryce Brown has been called a lot of things over the past four years.
Superstar. Freak. The best.

But over the past week, many of those positive comments have turned negative after Brown, Rivals.com's No. 1 player in the nation, held off choosing a school on National Signing Day. He will make his decision known March 12.

Brown, a running back from Wichita (Kan.) East, suddenly was being called a prima donna on TV, in newspapers and on radio shows from coast to coast. A Feb. 3 article in The New York Times quoted his high school coach, Brian Byers, as saying Brown was "always about him and then everybody else."

Brown is used to having people break down his game, but criticism of his character, motives and effort have been tough to swallow.

"It's not even really about building the hype," Brown told Rivals.com. "I've been doing this football thing for a while now. My freshman year, I jumped on the scene, and ever since then, I think the hype has always been there. Hype has nothing to do with [delaying the decision]. It's obviously a big decision, and it's an important decision not just for me but for my family as well.

Bryce Brown says he will announce his final college choice on March 12.
"I want to find a program that's going to be committed to me for life and not just the three or four years that you are there. You want to be connected with good people because these are people you're going to be a.ssociated with after you graduate. These will be your real friends when you graduate. You want to be around great people."

Brown knows there will be second-guessing about his college intentions, but he said he is troubled by the talk that he wasn't supportive of his high school program. Byers told the Times that Brown wouldn't even stretch with his teammates in his junior season and that team chemistry was nonexistent because Brown would not play hard after he padded his stats.

Brown disagreed with Byers, who did not respond to a message left by Rivals.com at the high school.

"Absolutely, I'm a team player," Brown said. "When Coach Byers brought in a spread offense, I really didn't agree with it but I did everything Coach Byers asked me to do. It was the best for our team, obviously.

"There was never a time that I didn't want to be out on the field. I don't care if we were blowing them out 60-0, I wanted to be on the field, having fun and being with my teammates. It's my senior year, and a lot of the guys that I played with this year have been with me since my freshman year. My brother's class and the '09 class is what really started off East being a special program."

Brown, who graduated at midterm, wanted it made clear he has no issues with Byers and that he enjoyed his time at East.

"I don't have a problem with Coach Byers," Brown said. "If that's really how he felt, it took him two years to say it. That's his deal. I don't go to East anymore and I don't have any hard feelings, but some of the stuff he said really surprised me because it was absolutely false.

"I loved every second I was there with my friends and teammates, and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

The next step for Brown is to finally figure out is college choice.

Brown remains committed to Miami, but he said over the past few weeks that Oregon – thanks mainly to the efforts of coach-in-waiting Chip Kelly – has become a serious candidate. Clemson, Kansas State, LSU, USC and Tennessee, which he will visit this weekend, also are options.

"Oregon is just a place I see myself at," Brown said. "At night when I go to sleep, I try to imagine myself at each school. When I think about Oregon, I go to sleep and I feel like that's the place for me. But I know I'm not in tune with my spirit, and my spirit is heavily involved in this. I'm praying, and I have people praying for me.

"I really like Coach Kelly, and he wants the best for me. It's not even really about football anymore. If I don't choose to go to Oregon, Coach Kelly and I are still going to have the relationship. Anything I need, any questions I have, I know that I can call him. He truly and genuinely wants the best for me."

Brown still insists he's committed to Miami, though there's a chance he might not take an official visit to Coral Gables.

"It's not completely out that I don't use that visit to Miami, but I don't see me using that visit there now," said Brown, whose brother, Arthur, was a freshman linebacker at UM this past season. "I wouldn't necessarily say they're out because I've seen it. I know everything about the program and I've gotten a chance to meet the offensive coordinator [Mark Whipple, who was hired late last month]. That will all be weighing in on my decision."

Brown said he met with Whipple face to face before the dead period started.

"We basically talked Xs and Os," Brown said. "It's kind of hard for me to say what the offense is going to be like. Some of the stuff he was talking about – putting me out in space, and allowing me to get matched up with linebackers and cornerbacks one-on-one – sounds good, but inside something just tells me that his philosophy or the way he does things isn't what I really like. He did say he'd use all of my talents, though."

Tennessee has made up a lot of ground on Brown's list, coming into the picture following the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, but he said he's not sure what to think about the Vols quite yet.

"I talked with Coach Lane Kiffin, and coach Jim Chaney [the offensive coordinator] came down to visit me," he said. "They talked about the old USC stuff when Coach Kiffin had Reggie [Bush] and LenDale White. I want to be around good players, and I want to have the most players and best athletes on the field as my teammates because it makes it hard for the defense to stop the offense. With Tennessee, they want to get to that, but I don't think that Tennessee has enough players to be successful at what they're trying to do."

If Miami doesn't get the final visit, LSU or USC will.

"I really like USC," Brown said. "I really like coach Pete Carroll. He's a real, real laid-back coach. For somebody to get that much attention, he's really, really cool. They like to compete. I like being around great players. I want to be able to compete every day in practice knowing that everybody around me is willing to work. Obviously, being in L.A., that's strong from marketing.

"I don't really know much about LSU other than what my brother said when he went down there last year. LSU came in second to Miami on my brother's list of colleges, and it was really, really hard for him to turn down. I don't know much about it other than the things he told me about the game-day atmosphere."

Brown said Clemson and Kansas State remain viable options. While Brown visited Missouri, the Tigers are out of the picture.

Brown said there is pressure on him to stay in-state and play for Kansas State.

"I like coach Bill Snyder, and I like the coaching staff they put together," Brown said. "I feel like they're building a foundation, and the people around them and the fans believe Coach Snyder is going to turn that program around. But me, I don't want for someone to throw the program on me. What if it turns out that I'm not, you know, the guy? Then people are going to point the finger at me."

People already have been, though, and that's what has turned Brown's recruitment into a soap opera.

"I can't wait to get the visits done, and then it will be time," he said. "I'm ready to put all of this negative stuff behind me and let people start saying positive things again."
Article from Rivals
 8 years ago '07        #5237
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
Bryce is too damn much, ill take him if he commits, but damn the U will move on with Miller instead without even a pause
 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM         #5238
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ttime236 said:
Bryce is too damn much, ill take him if he commits, but damn the U will move on with Miller instead without even a pause
My thoughts exactly
 8 years ago '04        #5239
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Bryce Brown says he will announce his final college choice on March 12.
"I want to find a program that's going to be committed to me for life and not just the three or four years that you are there. You want to be connected with good people because these are people you're going to be a.ssociated with after you graduate. These will be your real friends when you graduate. You want to be around great people."
Really? of the 50 NFL players from UM come back to UM.

"Oregon is just a place I see myself at," Brown said. "At night when I go to sleep, I try to imagine myself at each school. When I think about Oregon, I go to sleep and I feel like that's the place for me. But I know I'm not in tune with my spirit, and my spirit is heavily involved in this. I'm praying, and I have people praying for me.

That says it all, he feels comfortable at Oregon. He dreams of Oregon and wets himself when he goes to sleep about Oregon.

Didn't his spirit and praying told him to go to Miami back in the summer though?
"I can't wait to get the visits done, and then it will be time," he said. "I'm ready to put all of this negative stuff behind me and let people start saying positive things again."

Then he should've never committed or got a street agent.
"I really like USC," Brown said. "I really like coach Pete Carroll. He's a real, real laid-back coach. For somebody to get that much attention, he's really, really cool. They like to compete. I like being around great players. I want to be able to compete every day in practice knowing that everybody around me is willing to work. Obviously, being in L.A., that's strong from marketing.
Ok, so he wants to be a Hollywood star? well... Butler has been marketing his a.ss around that's for sure.

He recently told InsideTheU.com his goal for the 2009 season.

"The only thing I can tell you is, it might say sound crazy, but I'm dead serious, the only thing I'm thinking about is being in the Heisman race next year," Brown said.

Well, there you go, he just stated that he wanted to win a Heisman and call it a day.

Man... i would like to see the kid playin at Miami but damn, I think he'd probably be a target in practice. I personally don't think he comes here just listening to some of his comments. It frees up a scholarship for Eduardo Clemens, Jakhari Gore, Brandon Gainer or any of the other beasts at RB from Miami in 2010.

Here is an interview on bryce. Manny from the herald doesn't think he comes here either

02-11-2009, 11:12 AM         #5240
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This sh*t about his high school coach saying he wasn't a team player seem like its true.

Cause I don't see this guy lying about it unless Bryce pissed dude off.

March 12th should be interesting..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside which heaux you trynna turn into a housewife??
150 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
99 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pink Toe With Ridiculous Buns
85 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
163 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Alien: Covenant Footage Just Screened And The Reactions Are In
31 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Introduction to Pizzagate
131 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING First Official Trailers
178 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
126 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy