Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
57 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
76 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He got three girlfriends, could you handle that?
88 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uruguay has been hit by the Instathot nation
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #5141
booie4 
space
space
$4,877 | Props total: 589 589
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- A number of names have popped up in Miami's search for an offensive coordinator after the firing of Patrick Nix.

So let's take a look at former Kansas State head coach Ron Prince.

Prince, 39, went 17-20 in his three years as the head coach of the Wildcats.

Prior to his stint in Manhattan, Prince was the offensive coordinator at Virginia for three years (2003-05) and offensive line coach (2001-05) there for five years.

Miami head coach Randy Shannon was the defensive coordinator against Prince's offenses in 2004 and 2005, both Hurricane victories, 31-21 and 25-17.

Offensive Coordinator Experience

In his time at Virginia, Prince helped guide Virginia to four straight bowl berths from 2002-05. Along the way, his Cavalier offense set a dozen team and individual school records and had 10 offensive players drafted by NFL teams.

As the offensive coordinator in 2003, the Cavaliers allowed the ACC's fewest sacks as star quarterback Matt Schaub passed for 2,952 yards--the second most in school history.

The 2004 offense averaged 423 yards of total offense per game including over 240 on the ground. Again, Virginia led the ACC in fewest sacks allowed and led the conference in total offense and rushing offense.

Following the 2004 campaign, four offensive players were selected in the NFL Draft including TE Heath Miller (1st round), OL Elton Brown (4th round), RB Alvin Pearman (4th round), and WR Patrick Estes (7th round).

The 2005 season, Prince's final season at Virginia, was highlighted by OL D'Brickashaw Ferguson being selected fourth overall in the 2006 NFL Draft.

Head Coaching Experience

Prince took over for legendary Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, who eventually succeeded him.

In 2006, Prince guided the Wildcats to a 7-6 record after winning nine games in the previous two seasons.

In 2007, Prince guided a Wildcat offense that set 20 school records, both team and individual as the team's quarterback, running back, and top receiver had huge years although the team finished 5-7.

This past season, Kansas State finished 5-7 again and Prince was released. The team finished 19th nationally in scoring offense, 34th in total offense, and 19th in passing offense.

Other Experience

Prince was the offensive line coach at Alabama A&M, South Carolina State, James Madison, and Cornell prior to Virginia.

He was born in Omaha, Neb. and graduated from Junction City (Kan.) High School in 1988. He played two seasons at Dodge City (Kan.) Community College before transferring Appalachian State for his final two seasons where he played on the offensive line.

Jan. 8, 2009
 8 years ago '04        #5142
booie4 
space
space
The name Shula is enough to make most people jump and of course think of the Papa of the family, Don Shula, who holds the all-time wins record in the NFL.

But Mike Shula would be a candidate worthy of a look by Randy Shannon. He is the former head coach at Alabama and amassed a 26-23 record while leading the Crimson Tide to two bowl games including a 10-2 season and a Cotton Bowl win in 2005.

Outside of his four years as the head coach at Alabama, his entire career has been on the offensive side of the ball, including being the offensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996 to 1999.

He has also served as the quarterbacks coach of the Miami Dolphins from 2000 to 2002 and is the current quarterbacks coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars and has served in that capacity since 2007 while helping develop David Garrard.

Shula also played one year in the NFL for the Bucs following a successful collegiate career at Alabama as the starting quarterback from 1984 to 1986. His record as a starting quarterback was 24-11-1 and two bowl wins when teams actually had to earn bowl appearances.

Prior to the hiring of former Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron, Shula was on the list of candidates for that position.

Mike Shula's Timeline

1988-1990 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Offensive a.ssistant)
1991-1992 - Miami Dolphins (Coaches' a.ssistant)
1993-1995 - Chicago Bears (Tight Ends Coach)
1996-1999 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Offensive Coordinator)
2000-2002 - Miami Dolphins (Quarterbacks Coach)
2003-2006 - Alabama Crimson Tide (Head Coach)
2007-current - Jacksonville Jaguars (Quarterbacks Coach)

Why Mike Shula Makes Sense

? He's a Shula. That alone is a major factor. Football is in his blood. He's a very knowledgeable coach and his entire life has been football. His nephew, Dan Shula, is a Graduate a.ssistant on the team so Shannon might want to add another Shula to the staff.

? He has plenty of offensive experience which is key. He has experience on the offensive side of the ball including coaching in the NFL as an offensive coordinator. Experience being the key word. His experiences should make Randy Shannon feel comfortable enough to hand over the reigns and allow Mike to run the offense without interference.

? He's a former quarterback. As a former quarterback himself as well as being a quarterback's coach in the NFL, he could also take on the role of quarterback's coach. His experience and expertise should help Jacory Harris a great deal and help him develop into an even better quarterback.

? The 'Canes need a better home field advantage. Attendance at Dolphin Stadium might get a boost from the addition of a well-known Shula to the staff.

? Pressure. This and being a Shula go hand-in-hand. Great things are always expected from that family so Mike should be able to handle the pressure of the expectations that come with the job of being offensive coordinator at Miami where the expectations are tremendously high.
 8 years ago '04        #5143
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
jared wheeler is a cane

shore up that o-line
 8 years ago '04        #5144
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
lol bet Wojo feels like a dumbass right now ... warning recruits and sh*t about coming to the U. Hahahhahaa
 8 years ago '04        #5145
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Cap Peeler said:
lol bet Wojo feels like a dumbass right now ... warning recruits and sh*t about coming to the U. Hahahhahaa
told you no one would take that clown seriously
 8 years ago '04        #5146
booie4 
space
space
Wichita (KS) East High School RB Bryce Brown remains a soft Hurricane commitment.

"As far as I know he's going to Miami," East High coach Brian Byers said. "With him there's crap out there all the time, and he is taking all his visits."

For his part, Brown has said he remains committed to UM but is also considering Oregon. He recently told a Rivals.com website that Oregon is his top school but that he is still a Miami commitment.

Byers says whichever school winds up with Brown on campus will be extremely lucky.

"He's got a burst of speed that most people don't have," Byers said. "He's got great vision and anticipation. He can see things and see cuts I think sometimes before they're even there. And with that burst of speed he's out the gate. If you don't tackle him, get a body on him, he's probably gone."

Byers coached high school against Barry Sanders back in the day.

"He's a lot faster than Barry in terms of pure straight ahead speed," Byers said. "Barry is one of the quickest I ever saw - he was so quick with his feet and his hips. You could say Bryce is not quite as quick as Barry, but is faster than Barry."

Byers knows there's a big transition from high school ball to college ball. It's something Bryce's brother, Arthur, went through at UM this past season.

So what does Bryce need the most work on to be ready to make an impact at the next level?

"Holding onto the ball," Byers said. "He has a tendency to sometimes fumble. He has a problem not getting the ball high and tight, carries it too loose. And the other thing is sometimes we'd have to get him to slow down on a toss sweep because he would see - his vision, he sees things so quick - he sees things that he thinks will develop, and he takes off and doesn't have his eye on the ball.

"The other thing, depending on how you want to use him, is he needs to work on his receiving. He's good at catching across the middle, swing passes, hitches, taking the ball deep if he's going downfield. He just needs to work on catching a little better."

Brown finished his senior season with a league record 1,850 yards - the second time he broke his own season rushing record. He also scored 31 touchdowns.
 8 years ago '04        #5147
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Warren Sapp interviews Ray Lewis:

two of the GOAT canes to ever do it:applause:
 8 years ago '04        #5148
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
i got a bad feeling about bryce brown
 8 years ago '04        #5149
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
the longer we go without hiring an OC, the bleaker its lookin....shannon not only needs to make a good hire, he needs to do it quickly. and i hear rueben randle is still interested, but he's waiting to see how the OC situation plays out too.
 8 years ago '05        #5150
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
I did too but its just hard for me to see him going elsewhere esp. after reading this..
 8 years ago '04        #5151
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
OC hire is coming next week. According to rivals shannon is interviewing the final candidates this weekend. It's on the front page. I don't got rivals no more so if anyone can post the article.. :agreement6:
 8 years ago '04        #5152
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
i been hearing randle is looking at as hard recently since nix is gone but i still think he goes to LSU. Getting a good OC is crucial and shannon better not stick to this "we need a pro-offense" sh*t cuz we got tooo many playmakers WR
 8 years ago '04        #5153
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Vernon is a Cane boys!!!

Olivier Vernon isn't going anywhere. He's staying home with the Hurricanes. In a small get together in his high school principal's office, Vernon told friends and family moments ago he is going to stick with his commitment to the University of Miami, which he made back in August.

Img_1212"It was kind of hard because all three teams can win a national championship," said Vernon a 4-star Rivals.com recruit and 6-4, 240-pound defensive end, who was mulling over UM, Alabama and Florida State until the past week. "But UM has been my dream school since I was young. I felt like I was destined to play for them."

Vernon, who graduated from American High Thursday, will begin classes at UM Jan. 20 and will room with freshman defensive tackle Curtis Porter in the spring. He will wear No. 17. Eventually, he will switch over and room with fellow incoming freshman Dyron Dye in the fall.

He's looking forward to rehabbing his injured left ankle, which he injured in the season opener against Coral Reef, with UM doctors and trainers. He said he's still experiencing some pain and could have some ligament damage. But he expects to be ready for spring ball in late February.

The Hurricanes are definitely getting a strong player. Vernon is benching 335 pounds and squating 455. "I've kept lifting, kept working in the weight room even though I haven't played," Vernon said. "I'll be ready."

Posted by Manny Navarro at 01:06 PM in University of Miami Football, University of Miami Football Recruiting
Permalink | Comments (6)
 8 years ago '06        #5154
Against D Grain 
space
space
$6,258 | Props total: 125 125
^^ Good pick up with Vernon. We need a Jack Linebacker inthe Worst way, hopefully we can pull Stinson from FSU.

:applause: on Ray Ray getting his 5th star. This kid will be a player for you guys
 8 years ago '05        #5155
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
remember what i said bout tahj boyd trying get bryce to decommit to play with him, clemson and oregon are boyds top 2 so those are the only school i see bryce decomitting too
 8 years ago '04        #5156
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
I think when BB said "he'll pay" most likely means that Bodj will go to Clemson and BB will come down to Miami and since we play them the second week of the season...
 8 years ago '04        #5157
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
so it looks like we'll be hiring another DC. Young just bolted to Okie State.

It seems that we are hot on Martinez from UGA. I think he'd be a pretty good hire considering that he is a great recruiter and knows what it takes to succeed at Miami.

The good side is that it seems that we probably wont be losing any defensive recruits. I don't think many of the guys comin in playing defense are comign to Miami because of Young.
 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM         #5158
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cap Peeler said:
so it looks like we'll be hiring another DC. Young just bolted to Okie State.

It seems that we are hot on Martinez from UGA. I think he'd be a pretty good hire considering that he is a great recruiter and knows what it takes to succeed at Miami.

The good side is that it seems that we probably wont be losing any defensive recruits. I don't think many of the guys comin in playing defense are comign to Miami because of Young.
Does this mean a better shot with Greg Reid? I know he de-committed from UF but was favoring Georgia from what I remember. I think he cancelled his UM visit tho :confused12:
 8 years ago '04        #5159
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Rumor out there is that Marve is transferring to Penn State...

is that anywhere close to Tampa by the way?
 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM         #5160
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Cap Peeler said:
Rumor out there is that Marve is transferring to Penn State...

is that anywhere close to Tampa by the way?
Lolll

I told my friend the other day he should just go Big Ten. He might be able to have some success there.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Busted On Social Media
85 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
59 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
139 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy finishes whole pizza while getting drilled by Chris Hansen
158 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
51 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside BOSKOE100 mad at SOULJA BOY.. say he make the BLOODS look like clowns !..
81 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Couple Arguing Married 52 Years Lol
70 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Never noticed this from Scream 1
96 comments
1 day ago