Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Article inside Your days of watching pirated live streams may be over, thanks to Cisco
most viewed right now
NBA Gilbert Arenas $111 Million Wizards Contract is Up; Can't afford Kid's Pri..
most viewed right now
NBA NBA players that you knew (or didn't know) were related.
most viewed right now
Video inside Footage of Jay Z - Bleek and Chris from the Young Gunz dissing The Game

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #5061
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
$56,885 | Props total: 10136 10136
 Cap Peeler said:
can anyone post that article about bryce brown on rivals
Miami Hurricane fans have watched Bryce Brown go from what they considered a solid commitment to a very soft commitment, with the star running back already taking visits to Oregon, Missouri and Clemson.

He is no longer arriving at college in January, and he will visit Purdue Jan. 17 and wrap up his visits the following weekend with an official visit to Miami.

His advisor, Brian Butler, says he's monitored some of the hysteria on Hurricane message boards as fans speculate Brown may not stick with Miami.

And Butler says, for now, there isn't too much to worry about.

Butler says he sat down Bryce and his parents for two hours the other night to discuss the status of his recruitment.

And Butler says Bryce remains a Cane commitment and will likely be on campus in Coral Gables in the summer.

"I know the most important thing to him is his brother (Arthur, a freshman linebacker at UM) when it comes to his college decision," Butler said. "If you ask him the one most important thing to you when it comes to making your decision, the answer is his brother. So that being the case, that's the reason I feel there's a strong likelihood he winds up in Miami."

Butler also says rumors of Arthur not being happy at Miami are completely false.

"I don't know where this stuff comes from," Butler said. "That's the most ridiculous stuff. Please print this: Arthur loves Miami. He has never once even hinted or thought about leaving Miami. Never. He is the biggest Miami fan out of anybody."

Asked point-blank if he expects Bryce to join Arthur at Miami, Butler says, "Yes. If I had to bet on it, that's what I would bet. But I do know he's evaluating everything and I'd never put pressure on him. But there's a reason why he committed to Miami, and that's because he wants to go to school at Miami. He's still committed to Miami, and all he's doing is following through with what he told coaches in February, that he'd take visits. Miami is a great fit for him, and personally I would be surprised if he went somewhere else. But I know it is a slight possibility that he could attend another school."

Of why Bryce is no longer arriving at college early, Butler said, "It wasn't about his decision as much as it was about he felt rushed. He's still going to graduate early. He's just going to take a couple of college courses around here second semester. When I met with him and his parents, he was real stressed out. His schedule was going to be super hectic in December, and if he was enrolling early that would be January, and when it came down to it he was feeling very rushed. Like I told him, it's not a must that you graduate early. He was feeling pressure because Arthur did it.

"It wasn't about his decision, but it does give him more time to sit back and see everything that's going on."

So, is there reason to worry for Cane fans?

"I think it's over the top, but they're fans," Butler said. "Bryce treats it like business. This is a business decision. Any good businessman is going to look at all his options. All he's doing is evaluating.

"Miami has something no one else has, and that's his brother. I know why he committed to Miami, and none of those things have changed."
 8 years ago '06        #5062
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
Canes in Top Two

Cleveland (OH) Glenville standout OT Marcus Hall says he has two schools at the top of his list: Miami and Ohio State.

"I'm visiting Miami in January - the second weekend," Hall said. "Miami and Ohio State are pretty even right now.

"When I go on my visits I'll try to picture myself in that atmosphere, see if I'd be happy there. I'll talk to the players and see what they like and dislike about the school, academics and athletics."

Hall has visited Ohio Sate unofficially and is taking his official visit there this weekend.

Hall says he also plans to visit LSU, Illinois and Michigan in January after his Cane visit.

Why is Miami in the top two with his home state school?

"I got the chance to meet coach Stoutland and coach (Aubrey) Hill, and I really feel comfortable around them," said Hall, who lists over 40 scholarship offers. "Coach Stoutland is a hands-on offensive line coach, and that's the type of coach I feel I need every day for three or four years.

"Coach Stoutland came in for a home visit - he's a good guy. The first thing he told me when we started talking football is he couldn't guarantee me a starting position. I appreciated that because a lot of recruiters say I can come in and start, and I know that's not realistic. They tell a lot of freshmen that. When coach Stoutland told me that I knew I'd be able to build a good relationship with him."

Hall began playing organized football in ninth grade because he was too big for Pop Warner weight limits growing up.

"My high school coach, coach (Ted) Ginn, got me to play," Hall said. "He said I could make a lot of money in this game. I tried it, and I grew to like it. But I wanted to be a tight end, and that's what I played as a freshman. I moved to offensive line the middle of my ninth grade year."

Just how good a prospect is Hall?

Glenville offensive coordinator Matt Chinchar says, "A lot of things make him a special player. The first thing is his commitment, dedication to be the best he can be. He always wants to get better and improve himself. Marcus has it all."

Stoutland visited Hall's school last month.

"He was pretty impressed with him," Chinchar said. "He stayed around and watched practice."

Hall helped his team to an 11-1 record this season. The only loss was in the second round of the playoffs to the eventual state champion, 8-7.
 8 years ago '06        #5063
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
Former Fort Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas High School and Hargrave Military OL Jermaine Johnson has decided to take an official visit to Miami this weekend.

And that decision came somewhat out of the blue.

Johnson says he decided he wanted to consider the Canes last week, and on Tuesday he called coach Joe Pannunzio. He had no UM offer, but Pannunzio asked about his academics and soon after the Canes set up an official visit.

"Coach Pannunzio told me I could call (Jeff) Stoutland, and I did that," Johnson said. "We talked and set up the visit. I wasn't recruited in high school by Miami, but at Hargrave (last year) coach Stoutland was looking at me. They haven't offered me a scholarship, but coach Stoutland came to my house last week.

"We were talking about some things, my academics and my visit up there this weekend. I'm not sure (if Miami will offer)."

If the Canes do offer, Johnson says, "Miami's got a chance."

He says he's concerned because he's not sure what will be happening to the Auburn a.ssistant coaches with Tommy Tuberville gone.

"Their (assistant) coaches are telling me to sit back and wait," Johnson said.

UM certainly has a lot going for it with Johnson.

"I've been a Miami fan since I was little," Johnson said. "My whole family loves the University of Miami. Plus I know Leonard Hankerson (from high school) and Cannon Smith (from prep school)."

Johnson says he will be enrolling in college in January.

"If the visit goes well Miami's a possibility," Johnson said. "I'm just sitting back and seeing what happens. I have just Miami and Auburn. It's between those two."

Johnson has come a long way on the football field in a short amount of time. He thought he would be a basketball player coming out of high school, but he put on a lot of weight as a junior and Aquinas coach George Smith convinced him to give football a try.

In just one year playing the sport Johnson was rated a three-star prospect after playing both ways on the line.

He played offensive tackle in prep school last year, on both the left and right sides.
the fu*k we thinkin... offer
 12-13-2008, 05:18 PM         #5064
The Lefty 
$n/a | Props total:  
PROPS dedos!

Some interesting stuff.

I would love to steal Marcus Hall from Buckeye territory.

I see Bryce is visiting Purdue. I live in Indianapolis, Purdue is meh. Maybe I should take a visit to Purdue on that day too and wear Miami gear lol. Sounds like we got him though.
 8 years ago '06        #5065
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
Miami Surges on Top for DB

Lancaster (TX) High School CB Demontre Hurst received an official Hurricane offer during a visit from coach Wesley McGriff on Monday.

"I wasn't expecting it, but he said they were still looking at me and the offer came up and it was a good feeling," Hurst said.

So good that Hurst now says the Canes are the team to beat.

"Right now I'd say they're the top team for me," Hurst said. "I talked to them earlier in the spring and I hadn't talked to them for a while, then they came back. I know they're good for tradition, a great school. I've been liking them all my life. I know they produce pretty good defensive players and good DBs."

No. 2 on his list is North Carolina, and he says No. 3 is Oklahoma State.

"I've taken one visit so far, to Arizona State - it went pretty well," Hurst said.

Hurst has set his UM visit date for Jan. 23.

But he may not wait that long to make a decision.

"Right now it could be anytime," Hurst said. "It might be an unexpected time. Hopefully I can make one not too late.

"I might do it before the Miami visit. I might just call it what it is."

He adds, "It's a big possibility that I'll commit to Miami. When I do it just depends on how I feel about them and toward other schools also."

Hurst says when he met with McGriff "he was talking about how good of a player I am and how it would be good to come play in their program. He was telling me about himself, how I can come in there and play early. We were talking about football."

This past season Hurst finished with over 70 tackles, returned two kickoffs for touchdowns (from 108 and 80 yads), had a forced fumble, recovered three fumbles, blocked a kick (which he returned for a two-point conversion) and had five interceptions.

He currently lists 19 scholarship offers.

shannon stickin out his long arm into texas :rasta:

you fu*king with a monster!!!!!! :rasta:
 8 years ago '04        #5066
madness 7 heat pts
$12,678 | Props total: 463 463
dedos droppin them exclusives!!:wow::applause:

mcgee and mike james sound like theyre ready to go

i wonder what last minute commits shannon has up his sleeve this year:dancingcool:
 8 years ago '04        #5067
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
my n*gga dedos on the grind!!!!!:dancingcool:
 8 years ago '04        #5068
$4,830 | Props total: 470 470
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami returned to practice today after two weeks off as they prepare to face Cal on Dec. 27 for the Emerald Bowl.

Opening statement:

"Guys were just coming off of a break. We were just doing some one on one's, some good physical work. Really emphasized running the football and stopping the run today. This time of the year it's important to get a sense of urgency going. Defense did a good job of stopping the run, just stuffed them. You would like things like that to balance out."

* QB Robert Marve did not address the media as he ran past reporters on the way to the locker room.

* When Shannon was asked if Marve would play in the bowl game, he responded: "As far as I know he will. Academic reports come out on Wednesday so by Thursday we should know so if you want to find out who is eligible and who is not across the nation, just wait until about Wednesday."

* Shannon discussed the challenges Cal brings to the table: "They have a real good Center (Alex Mack). He's really solid, one of the best in the country. Their running backs (led by Javid Best) are very good. Coach Tedford does a nice job of using his players' skills knowing that the offensive line and running backs are going to carry them."

* Cal is led by star running back Jahvid Best. "I have only watched him when I've seen late-night football but I know he's a very good back. Done a great job the past few games. I really haven't gone over their film yet so ask me again In about another week about Cal."

* The UM awards banquet is Sunday night, which a lot of awards are up for grabs including Team MVP. Shannon said: "A couple of awards are chosen by the players on the team. Coach Swasey chooses another award. There are academic awards and then the coaches. It's going to be very hard to choose a team MVP because there are a lot of players who have done a lot of great things for us."

* As many as 10 recruits were on an official visit to Miami this weekend. "Basically when you bring guys in you want to emphasize what we have to offer. President Shalala speaks to them, the academic staff speaks to them, our AD (Kirby Hocutt) speaks to them. The get to mingle with the players. Its really the whole concept of what we are trying to do at Miami. Whats important is that they actually get to go inside a classroom and walk around when school is in session and they really like that."

* Practice resumes Sunday at 2 p.m.
 8 years ago '04        #5069
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Jacory Harris doesn't mind not being home for the holidays.

The true freshman signal caller who completed over 60 percent of his attempts for 1,001 yards and 10 tds (to 6 ints ) showed that he was more than capable making the adjustment from high school to college.

And while he his younger teammates are excited about the prospects of playing in a bowl game, he thinks the upperclassmen are just as enthused.

"I think they want to go out with a bang. This is their last game at Miami and we want to help send them off the right way. They accomplished a lot here and everyone of them wants to go out and win this game."

Despite a promising 7-5 turn-around from last season's failed postseason bid, Harris and his teammates are treating postseason practice as an early jumpstart on the 2009 season.

"We are treating this like a spring game. We are trying to go out there and cement spots for next year but at the same time, we are all having fun."

While Jacory is concentrating most of his attention on the Emerald Bowl, he still plays close attention to alma mater, Miami Northwestern. The Bulls defeated Boone on Friday night and will be playing for third class 6A championship in a row. Harris is a frequent visitor on the Northwestern sidelines and although he will not be able to make the trip to Orlando next weekend, he remains an avid supporter of his former team.

"They weren't missing me too much this season. They just go out and continue to perform at a high level. We really appreciate what they are doing by keeping the streak going. No team in Dade County has every one three in a row but I guess there is a first time for everything."

In being invited to the Emerald Bowl, the Hurricanes have the opportunity to travel to one of America's great cities for their postseason experience. Harris has never been to San Francisco before and is looking forward to everything the city has to offer.

"I've heard a lot of great things about San Francisco. The Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf. People have been telling me a lot about those types of places. It's going to be a fun experience, but at the same time, it's a business trip. It's going to be hostile environment, almost like a road game, but to be honest, I think I play better in road games anyways."

Dec. 13, 2008
 8 years ago '04        #5070
2009 commitment, Mike James, was so excited about his future with Miami after his official visit this weekend, he was beaming over the phone.

James, who will enroll at Miami this January, said one of the highlights of his visit was hanging out with his host Javarris James.

The two running backs immediately hit it off and Mike James said his future teammate couldn't have shown him a better time.

"He was awesome," James said. "He is probably the coolest dude I have ever met in my life. He treated me like a baby brother. I didn't know I would have that much fun with him. I can't wait to get down there in like a month."

"I liked the way everybody takes everybody in just like a family. Everybody there is connected and they have that bond and tie that is awesome to be a part of. I really liked meeting all the guys that were there."

James said he also interacted with coach Randy Shannon throughout the entire weekend. According to James, Shannon was with the recruits during nearly every activity and it was great to spend that much time with their future leader.

"He is a great guy," James said. "He is all about taking care of us. He is a great guy and very understanding. He knows about life and situations and I know he is going to be a good coach and mentor that will push me the next four years."

On Saturday, James got to watch Miami's first practice as they prepare for the Emerald Bowl on December 27. James said he used that time that he got to watch practice as a way to prepare for what he will have to go through this spring.

"I loved the intensity and the way everybody kept moving," James said. "There is no standing around. Coach Robinson coaches with a high intensity and he doesn't joke around. He is all business on the practice field. I like that."

Miami hosted two uncommitted prospects, Bobby Massie and Daniel Campbell, both offensive linemen from Hargrave. James said he made sure to get in their ear this weekend and do some recruiting. Now that the weekend is over, James said he feels good about UM's chances to land those two linemen.

"They said they just want to win and I told them well if that is true then this is where it is at," James said. "They said they just won a championship at Hargrave, so they want to keep that going in their career. If they want to do that, then Miami is the place to be."

"I got a good feeling about them coming to Miami. They seemed like hard working guys that want to win a National Championship. They are all about winning and I got a good vibe from them."
 8 years ago '04        #5071
During his visit, Miami defensive tackle commitment from the 2009 class Curtis Porter got to know UM coach Randy Shannon a lot better.

Porter admits he really looks up to Shannon and at first he was a little in awe of his future coach.

"I had breakfast with the coaches today and met with coach Shannon. I was kind of nervous and in awe of talking to him at first but then I was around him more and more and it was like hold on I am going to be part of the family. That is where my blood, sweat and tears will be for the next four or five years."

Ultimately Porter says he is proud to play from one of the few African-American head coaches in college football and he can't wait to be a part of Shannon's legacy.

"When coach Shannon talked with us, it was awesome. To have a black head coach is pretty cool. I have watched ESPN a lot and they always talk about how there aren't that many black coaches in college football. Just to be part of that and to be a part of something special is pretty wonderful. I really respect him."

Porter took an official visit down to Miami this weekend. He plans to enroll at UM this spring, so he took the time to really get to know his future teammates. Porter said he was hosted by defensive tackle Josh Holmes and he got to know Marcus Forston real well too.

"They are all ready to get things going," Porter said. "They just said welcome to the family and they are glad to have me a part of it. They said they can't wait to bring me down and get going."

On Saturday Porter watched his future teammates and coaches during UM's first practice for their bowl game on December 27. Porter said he was impressed at the tempo of the Miami practice.

"It was intense, fast-moving and everything was like go get it," Porter said. "It was good to see coach Hurtt in action. I love the way he coaches."

Fellow 2009 commitments Brandon McGee and Olivier Vernon also visited UM this weekend and Porter said he particularly bonded with them.

"I bonded with Brandon McGee and Olivier Vernon," Porter said. "We are all coming in early and we are going to have some good stuff come in. We talked a lot about what we are going to do when we get there and it is going to be all good."

Porter said he did a little recruiting of the two uncommitted prospects from Hargrave who visited, Bobby Massie and Daniel Campbell. Porter said he wasn't sure on how they were feeling about Miami after the visit.

"They had a good time, but everybody is different you know," Porter said. "They should take Miami seriously though and come here. If you don't, you are stupid. I tried to recruit them and talk to them, but they still had their doubts. There is not much you can do about that."
 8 years ago '06        #5072
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
dedos for mod
 8 years ago '04        #5073
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Who said kickers get no respect?

Miami kicker/punter Matt Bosher won the team MVP award after posting a great season in handling the kicking and punting duties.

Bosher went 17-of-19 on field goal attempts this year with a long of 52 yards. He also averaged 41 yards per punt with a long of 76 yards.

What may have won the award for Bosher though was his aggressive play on the coverage units.

Bosher made multiple touchdown saving tackles during kickoff and punt return coverage, finishing the year with eight tackles on the season.

"What you look at is a guy that brings a lot to the football team motivational wise and also what he does football wise," coach Randy Shannon said. "Those are the two things you look at and what the players think of that guy.

Most Versatile Player

RB Graig Cooper

Defensive Scout Team Player of the Year

DL Gavin Hardin

Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year

RB Damien Berry

Hard Hitter Award

LB Sean Spence

Special Teams Player of the Year

WR Sam Shields

Strength Training Athlete of the Year

WR Khalil Jones

Nick Chickillo Most Improved Player

OL Chris Rutledge

Walt Kichefski Hurricane Award (commitment, consistency)

WR Khalil Jones

Albert Bentley Most Valuable Walk-On Award

OL Chris Ivory

Mariutto Scholar Athlete (highest G.P.A.)

C Xavier Shannon

Plumer Memorial Award (leadership, motivation, spirit)

LB Glenn Cook

Dale Melching Award (leadership)

LB Glenn Cook

U. Miami Sports Hall of Fame Unsung Hero Award

FB Patrick Hill

Jack Harding Award (Team MVP)

K Matt Bosher
 8 years ago '04        #5074
madness 7 heat pts
$12,678 | Props total: 463 463
 booie4 said:
Walt Kichefski Hurricane Award (commitment, consistency) - WR Khalil Jones
yeah, committed to dropping passes
 8 years ago '07        #5075
ttime236 38 heat pts38
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 ttime236 said:
Rivals did a article on this kid who theyre saying is the next big internet sensation like noel devine

TEMPLE, Texas – A minute or two is all it takes.

During that brief span, it becomes obvious the player on the video is something special.

Lache Seastrunk (pronounced Lake), a 5-foot-10, 180-pound running back at Temple High School, is so special he'll likely become an Internet legend on par with Noel Devine when his highlights start circulating on the Web.

Seastrunk averaged nearly 12 yards per carry while rushing for 1,532 yards on 129 attempts last season. He scored 19 touchdowns, with 11 of those covering at least 45 yards. Those numbers aren't by-products of a dominant team, padded stats or a wide-open offense. Temple, which runs the Wing T, was 7-4 last season. Seastrunk had 10 or fewer carries in five games and never had more than 21. Speed undoubtedly is his greatest a.sset. He ran an automatic-timed 10.37 in the 100-meter dash this spring.

And he's only a sophomore.

"He can go into a pile and he can get out of a pile," says Temple High coach Bryce Monsen, a stocky former college linebacker. "That's not coaching. That's between him and the good Lord.

"I saw him tightrope the sidelines with his right hand (extended) out to keep from falling and up on his toes to stay in-bounds, and he still outran everybody on the field."

Over the years, Texas has produced some of football's greatest running backs. Included in the state's distinguished alumni are Heisman Trophy recipients Doak Walker, Earl Campbell and Billy Sims, and several more that could have – or should have – won it, like Joe Washington, Greg Pruitt, Eric d*ckerson, LaDainian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson.

"I've got to work harder," Seastrunk said. "I want to be the best. I don't want to be with the bunch. I want to separate myself. My mother always told me not to settle for being good. Try to be great."

Seastrunk might be Texas' next great running back.

"We hope so," said Bob McQueen, an incredibly successful coach at Temple who came out of retirement a few years ago to a.ssist Monsen. "He's barely 16 years old, and he has a lot out in front of him. To say he's the next great one … we'll have to wait and see. He's special."

In Temple - a city of 60,000 located 65 miles north of Austin - high school football is important. That much can plainly be seen from Interstate 35.

Just east of the highway sits Wildcat Stadium, a 13,000-seat monument to Temple football that features chair-back seats, a field-turf playing surface and a huge press box accessible by elevator.

Gary Garner, a 59-year-old former Booster Club president and retail advertising manager of the Temple Daily Telegram, has had season tickets for decades. For years, he thought he'd never again see anybody like Kenneth Davis, a powerful runner who led Temple to the 1979 state championship. Davis attended TCU, where he finished fifth in the 1984 Heisman Trophy voting, and had a successful nine-year career in the NFL.

"I'm one of those people who like to sit up high at Wildcat Stadium so I can see the entire field and how the plays develop," Garner says. "You'd see Kenneth Davis go left or right, find a hole or get a crease, and once he got in the open field, he could do wonders. I thought as far as high school goes that he was the best I'd ever seen.

"But now we have one coming that reminds me a whole lot of Kenneth Davis – except he's a lot faster."

Time can compromise a memory, and even the most objective fan is subject to exaggeration. People often exalt the here-and-now over the how-it-was, which helps explain why some people argue that Kobe is better than Jordan.

But even Davis praises Seastrunk.

"I had a couple of opportunities to watch him play," said Davis, now football coach and athletic director at Bishop Dunne High School in Dallas. "He's a tremendous athlete. He has incredible acceleration from a dead stop, probably the quickest I've ever seen in any kid.

"I think he has the ability and potential to be a great back. The sky's the limit for him. I'm not sure how good a blocker or receiver he is, but when you look at pure speed, there is no finer back in the state."

Olin Buchanan's list of the top 10 running backs in Texas history:
1. Earl Campbell, Tyler
2. Eric d*ckerson, Sealy
3. LaDainian Tomlinson, Waco
4. Billy Sims, Hooks
5. Doak Walker, Dallas
6. Thurman Thomas, Houston
7. Priest Holmes, San Antonio
8. Adrian Peterson, Palestine
9. Joe Washington, Port Arthur
10. Greg Pruitt, Houston

Olin Buchanan's take on the top 10 running backs in Texas history is based on their high school, college and pro careers. Buchanan covered high school and college football in Texas for 25 years before moving to
McQueen and Monsen agree. The congenial and grandfatherly McQueen, who was 276-86-9 in a high school career that spanned five decades at Temple and nearby Mexia, sent more than 100 players to college. The best were Davis and Ray Rhodes, who later was coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers. He said Seastrunk has similar ability.

"Usually, if you get one like that in a career, you're very, very fortunate. I've been around three," McQueen says. "If (Seastrunk) improves in some areas, he could be as good as any of them. He needs a more complete understanding of the game.

"Our backs have to block, and he has really come on this spring with his blocking. And he needs to work on catching the football."

Monsen also has seen his share of great football players. The son of a coach who won 10 state championships in Wyoming and Utah, he has been around football his whole life. He played linebacker at BYU in 1983, '85 and '86, but missed the 1984 national championship season because he transferred to Snow College (Utah) to get more playing experience.

"I regret that every day," he says. "But (then-BYU coach) LaVell Edwards said I needed to get experience and then to come back."

A successful defensive coordinator and head coach in Utah before joining McQueen's staff several years ago, Monsen suspected he might have something special when Seastrunk long-jumped 20-9 3/4 in the eighth grade.

Those suspicions proved correct in last year's season opener when Seastrunk rushed for 112 yards on seven carries and scored touchdowns on runs of 75 and 20 yards in a 21-17 victory over South Garland. On both touchdowns, he turned the corner and blew by safety Joseph Ibiloye, a four-star prospect who signed with Oklahoma in February.

"He was in a foot race on the sideline (with Ibiloye) and outran him to the end zone," Monsen says. "He has extremely powerful legs. He's a freak of nature. It's all God-given."

Annie Ma Harris, Seastrunk's grandmother, may be due partial credit.

"When I was little, I always stayed in trouble," Seastrunk said. "My grandmother got tired of whipping me and made me stand in the corner on one leg. It seemed like I'd be on one leg for hours."

Maybe that's the secret of his success.

"You say that and every kid in Temple is going to be standing on one leg," McQueen says. "I might try it, too."

Seastrunk already has received mail from Kansas, Florida, Iowa, LSU and Texas, among others. He says LSU and Texas are his top choices for now, but he's also interested in Oklahoma and Miami.

"If he stays healthy and does everything he's supposed to do, he will have a great opportunity to play at the next level," Davis said. "How will he do over time? That's his biggest challenge.

"If he keeps his head screwed on right, do what he's asked and gets down on his knees at night, then I think in a few years we can look back and truly appreciate not only what he's done in high school but in his life. I hope we will."

Early indications are that won't be a problem. Seastrunk already has faced the obstacles of an at-risk youth and handled them well. His father hasn't been part of his life. His mother hasn't been there much of the time, either.

"She wasn't around for a while," he said. "She made some wrong decisions in life."

Seastrunk was raised by his grandmother, and received sound guidance from an uncle and from a cousin, Terrell Jackson, a wide receiver at Buffalo. "He (Jackson) was always telling me to stay focused and don't let anyone get you off-track," Seastrunk said.

Monsen says Seastrunk is an honor roll student who works diligently in the classroom and weight room.

"When the Lord was giving out athletic ability, Lache was at the front of the line," Monsen says in classic coach-speak. "When the Lord was making good kids, Lache was at the front of that line, too."

But even the nicest youngsters can be led astray at times, especially great athletes at an impressionable age. Seastrunk says he tries to avoid trouble like he does tacklers.

"It's just not in my heart or character to get in trouble," Seastrunk said. "I'd rather just go home."

If he stays patient for a couple of years, his legs will take him anywhere he wants to go.

heres the vid of him and let me just say hot damn this kid is fast as sh*t

This kid was mentioned in the rivals250 to watch in 2010...gonna be a beast
 8 years ago '04        #5076
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The amount of teaching and growth that takes place during the extra practices for bowl preparations can't be understated.

The bowl practices are almost a time when the young players are given a clean slate and able to show the coaches how much they have improved since the beginning of the season.

The practices go back to being more about teaching and are more physical and consist of more scrimmage situations.

If you are a young player who has played on scout team most of the year, the bowl practices are a time to try and shine.

"It is helpful for the younger players to make that transition into spring," senior linebacker Glenn Cook said. "It gives you something that you can judge yourself off of going into the spring and something to work towards while you have a little break."

"It is an opportunity to show the coaches what you can do a little bit in scrimmage situations. It is an opportunity for them to do that and separate themselves and get their name out there just before the spring starts."

Miami has three freshmen in particular who can use these practices as an opportunity to really make strides in their development. Cook took the time to talk about three of the young linebackers in particular and how they are looking at this point in the season.

Arthur Brown: "These last two practices have probably been his best just from the standpoint that he is really understanding what is going on. He has improved tremendously and I think he will be great next season as long as he continues to work. I am going to try and help him as much as I can while I am here. He has made a lot of strides."

Jordan Futch: "He just has to get back into the groove, but he is a good athlete and can move around well."

Ramon Buchanan: "He has made a pretty smooth transition from safety. He is a tough kid that just has to get some weight on him. Besides that, he is real athletic and a former defensive back."

One area Miami's defense will look to solidify going into the Emerald Bowl against Cal is their run defense.

Miami is entering the game against Cal having given up 691 yards rushing in their last two games while Cal running back Jhavid Best has run for 512 yards and six touchdowns in their last two games.

"That is key for us, to stop the run," Cook said. "Their quarterbacks have been up and down, so they start everything with their running back. It will be key to stop the running game and force them into a passing situation. We are disappointed with the way we played the last two games as the defense as a whole, so we are looking to go out and have a good showing against a very good team in Cal."

"He is fast. He is a small guy, but he likes to get outside. He makes a lot of things happen if you give him an opportunity. You got to get to him so he doesn't have those chances. He is a little like Antone Smith as far as his stature and the way he runs. He is probably a little more shifty but they are similar backs."
 8 years ago '04        #5077
Cheeze 496 heat pts496
$31,686 | Props total: 9 9
Seminole Trio talks recruiting

SANFORD, Fla. -- They say they want to go to a place where they have an opportunity to see the field right away. They say they want their college choice to have a family atmosphere -- similar to the high school where they play now. They say that deep down, they all really want to play together at the next level.

The question is will they? Meet the Sanford Seminole High All-American trio -- hard-hitting safety Ray Ray Seminole_trioArmstrong, the speedy Andre DeBose and the big and intimidating defensive end Dyron Dye. I did Wednesday and came away just as impressed as apparently all of the major college football powers have across the country. And, I came away just as confused as to what they might do when they make their college announcement on Jan. 4 at the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando.

While no one really has any clear insight into where each will end up, there are two things I learned for certain Wednesday -- the Hurricanes are not only in their thoughts, but UM probably is among the few schools that can fit all of their needs. The question is whether or not the Canes will have enough time to really convince the trio of that before their announcement in two weeks.

Seminole is set to take on Miami Northwestern in what I expect to be a great matchup in the Class 6A state championship game Saturday night at the Citrus Bowl. While making it to the state championship is obviously what DeBose, Dye and Armstrong wanted more than anything else this season, the unexpected, extended playoff run has created a time crunch for their visit and announcement plans. After the state championship game this weekend, the trio will only have one free weekend left before their supposed announcement date of Jan. 4 (that's Christmas weekend of Dec. 26-27). While they could make trips during the middle of the week the following week while school is out, they do have practice for the Under-Armour game in the days leading up to game day. Which means as DeBose hinted Wednesday, that despite an announcement on Jan. 4, these guys could still take official visits and leave the door open for change (not exactly shocking).

Since the start of the season, all three have kept tight lips throughout the recruiting process for the most part, hoping to keep their teammates and their season away from distractions. The result: each player has only been able to take two official visits thus far -- Armstrong and DeBose to LSU and Georgia and Dye to LSU and Iowa State. DeBose was the only player Wednesday who was willing to discuss potential visits and mentioned Florida, USC and the Canes as places he still wanted to take official visits to.

The good news is, each has already made enough unofficial visits (3 in all) to Miami -- including the Canes game against Florida State -- to get a great feel for the Canes. All three had nothing but wonderful things to say about the Canes coaching staff including Randy Shannon, who made the drive up to Sanford to watch the trio play with two a.ssistants back in early November. Just know for sure Miami, though, UM is trying real hard to get one last crack at hosting the Sanford trio. As one UM person told me late tonight, "we really, really, really want to get all three down here one last time."

Here is what each of them discussed with me about The U and their college situation on Wednesday.

> Andre DeBose, who most insiders believe is headed to the SEC (LSU or Florida), said Andre_deboseMiami will get one last visit from him no matter what. He said throughout the year, he's developed "a great relationship" with quarterback Jacory Harris, who calls him once a week to check-in on him. He said he talks to receivers coach Aubrey Hill every other day and the two have "a special bond."

As for the Canes and his recruiting needs: "The school I'm looking for has to feel like family," said DeBose, a 5-star recruit. " I want an opportunity to play. I know they can't guarantee me a spot on the field. I just want an opportunity to play. Miami plays guys early. They don't mind putting young guys on the field early. UM will probably get an official visit from us, or at least from me for sure."

> Ray Ray Armstrong, who reminds me of a cross of Sean Taylor and Kenny Phillips, said he's learned to be cautious Ray_ray_armstrong
during the recruiting process. He said he values honesty above all else: "The thing I've learned is a lot of people are going to tell you everything you want to hear and some of it is just not true," Armstrong said. "You got to look through that and find the best fit. For me, I want to get to a college and play and I want to win. It was a great experience at Miami when we went there. The coaches are real with you. They make you feel like you're at home. The players really like to make you feel good too. They make you feel at home. For me, right now, everybody has a chance."

Dyron_dye>Dyron Dye uses the same words -- home and family -- to describe Miami. He said he speaks to UM defensive line coach Clint Hurtt and receivers coach Aubrey Hill at least once a week. While some people may be concerned with his academics, one insider at UM told me Wednesday night they believe Dye is not far from meeting the standards at UM to get in. "I'm looking to go somewhere I can play and be in an atmosphere where I can make a big impact," Dye said. "Miami lets young guys do that."

> I didn't get a chance to talk to defensive end commitment Olivier Vernon, who has basically disappeared off the face of the earth since taking his official to the University of Miami last weekend. But I did get a chance to speak with his mother, who told me her son told her he plans on waiting until after Christmas to make his announcement. "He wants some time to think it over a little more," she said. Vernon committed to UM early in the process, but took official visits out to Alabama and Florida State. The 6-3, 240-pound end would be a pretty big loss for UM if he chooses to back away from the Canes now.

> One guy Miami no longer has a shot at is JUCO offensive lineman Roy Watts, who signed with Houston Wednesday. Watts (6-5, 335) had Shannon for an in-home visit recently, but decided to back away from the Canes to stay close to home for his baby daughter and fiancee. It leaves UM with only one real JUCO opportunity -- Andrew Tiller of Nassau Community College.

Tiller (6-6, 320) recently visited nearby Rutgers, but told UM coaches he plans on visiting Miami in late January. Ultimately, this could end up the same way Watts did, with Tiller opting to stay closer to home. If not Rutgers, then possibly Syracuse, which is close to hiring Tiller's JUCO coach as an a.ssistant.

> Miami's best shots at landing offensive linemen now looks like it will be through prep school or through high school. Plantation American Heritage's Jared Wheeler could be the first to jump on. As our Barry Jackson reported last week, Wheeler (6-5, 310) is now down to Vanderbilt and UM and folks at UM believe he could make his decision very soon. Last week, UM hosted the No. 1 prep school player in the country in 6-8, 335-pound Bobby Massie and Hargrave Military Academy teammate Daniel Campbell. This week, the Canes will get visits from offensive lineman Jermaine Johnson, defensive tackle William Campbell and offensive lineman Brandon Washington (who will sign in January).

> With former quarterback Steve Walsh getting into coaching Wednesday at West Palm Beach's Cardinal Newman High, I'm beginning to get the feeling several former players have caught the coaching bug with hopes of perhaps of getting on the UM staff eventually. Receiver Lamar Thomas joined the staff at Boynton Beach last year and has expressed interest of perhaps being on the UM sideline one day. The question is will any former guys actually find their way onto the coaching staff at The U any time soon? That's doubtful.
 8 years ago '04        #5078
Q: How much of an advantage do you feel you have playing across the bay while Miami has to travel across the country for the bowl game?

Tedford: Well, really the only thing I would see would be the fan base at the stadium. Besides that, the travel and all that, you're here for plenty of time to get acclimated. We've done that before. I don't think that's going to be a factor. We're both going to be staying in hotels. I don't know that's going to be a huge factor. If there was an advantage I would just say the fan base will be pro-Cal, I would imagine. Or, at least, I hope.

Q: Your team has struggled on the road this year with a 1-4 record.

Tedford: I think some of the teams we play on the road were the teams in our conference in the top of the conference. USC we lost a close game, lost a close game to Oregon State. Both those teams are very good football teams. We went there and were very competitive. We lost a game at Arizona, didn't play very well that night. And Maryland we fell behind early and struggled to come back and make it a game. I think they were all good teams we played on the road. I don't know that it has anything to do with the road except they were good opponents.

Q: Talk about what you've seen from the Canes.

Tedford: There's always one thing that's a constant with Miami, and that's athleticism and speed. The tape that I've watched so far - we're getting into game planning now - it's no different than what our impression has always been of the athletes and speed they bring to the game. It looks to be the same.

Q: How important has RB Jahvid Best been to your team?

Tedford: He's had a nice year. He went through a lot of injuries this year, dislocated his elbow and was out for a game and a half, had to play through it with a brace on his elbow. When he's healthy he's a pretty dynamic player. He's very fast, has good balance, catches the ball well, is a good blocker. He's a complete back. He has the type of speed that can be a game-changer because he can make big plays with it. He's had a real nice year for us leading the Pac-10 in rushing. He's a special player.

Q: UM's run defense struggled at the end of the year.

Tedford: They have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. They're very fast, physical. You have to execute. I don't think you expect to come out and be one-dimensional and think you'll be successful against a team like Miami. Of course the run game is part of the game plan, but we still have to be multiple and be able to throw the football, play-action, to be successful.

Q: Your DB's have 23 interceptions, third-best in the nation. And UM has thrown quite a few interceptions.

Tedford: Our guys have been in good position to make plays. It's kind of a result of a few things. Sometimes it's pressure on the quarterback. Sometimes it's nice coverage. It's going to be important - in order to be successful you have to win the turnover battle. I know they have young quarterbacks, but them being young they're not that young anymore. They've played 12 games now, have some experience behind them. I don't think you can go off statistics and say `This is going to happen.' You still have to execute, make plays.

Q: Talk about UM's quarterbacks and young receivers.

Tedford: The receivers have the ability to get on top of you. They can run, make big plays, are very athletic. You have to do a good job of covering them, and even if you do cover them they're still capable of making big plays over the top of you. So it's going to be really, really important that we're disciplined and don't let them get behind us. Their quarterbacks have the ability to make plays. They both look athletic. They can pose some problems.

Q: Talk about the progress of sophomore quarterback Kevin Riley.

Tedford: He's capable of using his legs and pulling it down and making some positive plays. He's done a pretty good job for the most part.

Q: Is it a week to week competition with Riley and Nate Longshore?

Tedford: They go back and forth through the year. Our last game against Washington Kevin started and Nate came in in the second quarter. It was a planned rotation. (Nate) ended up playing through the third quarter and our third guy took over because we were ahead. They both prepare very well, are both capable of making plays. Both may see action in the (bowl) game.

Q: So there's still a competition for the starting QB job in this game?

Tedford: We'll evaluate the situation as we go over the next week and a half, see how it plays out.

Q: How much of a home field advantage do you guys have in this game?

Mack: I think we're lucky to be in California. It's going to be an advantage for us, a nice environment for us.

Q: Your record at home was 7-0, and your record away was 1-4 this year. Why was that?

Mack: I think it's a lot easier to play at home. When it's loud with crowd noise it's difficult to communicate. When you're relaxed and it's quiet on offense it's really easy to communicate.

Q: What does RB Jahvid Best do well?

Mack: Fast is the best way to describe Jahvid. He's just a really good runner. He does a good job of finding the holes, outrunning opponents. He hits (the hole) fast. We open up a hole, and if it's there he's going to be in it and through it. He has quick feet, is able to go from almost not moving to full speed. He has really good breakaway capability.

Q: What are your thoughts on facing Miami?

Mack: Miami is a big program; everyone's heard of Miami. It's good to have a big-game opponent. We know everybody's going to be watching.

Q: What do you see as the perception of Miami?

Mack: It's just a big-time program. Everyone's heard of the Miami Hurricanes. I remember watching them in high school in some big bowl game against Ohio State. It's one of those big-name colleges you always hear about.

Q: What do you do to prepare for this game?

Mack: Fix all the little things I know I need to fix. Miami, it's going to be a good game. We're real excited. The best thing I can do to prepare for Miami is get myself to be as good a player as I can.

Q: Are you more a run-first team?

Mack: As offensive linemen we take a lot of pride in trying to establish the run game. For us opening up holes is really important. But as for our offensive game plans, running the ball is really important. If we can consistently run the ball good things are going to happen. That's something every week we try to do. As an offense we try to be about 50/50, mix it up.
 8 years ago '06        #5079
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
$56,885 | Props total: 10136 10136 Managing Editor

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

American Heritage High School OL Jared Wheeler has all the information he needs to make a final decision. He's visited his final two schools - he's seen Vanderbilt officially and has visited Miami twice unofficially.

And his decision should be coming down soon.

"Before the end of the year we'd like to nail it down as to where we want to go," said Jared's father, Jim. "It's time. He's ready.

"Right now, if you were to ask him, Miami would probably be in the lead. But he had a really good visit with Vanderbilt. He'd prefer to stay here, but he just wants to make sure he makes the right choice."

Miami's making a big push to seal the deal.

Coaches Jeff Stoutland and Patrick Nix are scheduled to pay an in-home visit to the Wheeler family on Thursday night.

"We'll have questions for the Miami coaches, and he feels pretty confident between Miami and Vanderbilt," Jim Wheeler said.

He adds that he expects his son to wait until after his all-star game Dec. 23 to sit down and make a final decision.

Wheeler's official UM visit isn't set up yet but would be in January at some point.

Wheeler had originally also planned to consider Auburn, but he eliminated the school after Tommy Tuberville was fired.

Florida was also very much in the picture, but Jim Wheeler said the school was pushing for Jared to commit right away. When that didn't happen, Florida looked elsewhere.

"That kind of helped us - it was going to be hard to choose," Jim Wheeler said.

While many Cane fans find it inconceivable that a recruit would choose Vandy over Miami, Jim Wheeler says it won't be an easy decision.

"Vanderbilt, they're really good people," he said. "It's a real hard choice. Nashville is a two hour away plane ride. Miami is 45 minutes. I don't want us being able to go to games to make his decision. He wants to get an engineering degree, not just play football. So academically Vanderbilt's a class act, does things the right way. I don't know if they'll win as much as Miami; that's where it gets different.

"Coach Stoutland loves Jared. I think he'll be a great coach for Jared at Miami, and coach (Randy) Shannon has things turning around. An engineering degree from Miami or Vanderbilt would be tremendous degrees."

sorry turds and vandy :greetings10:

his younger brother is a beast too :rasta:
 8 years ago '06        #5080
DEDOS 118 heat pts118
Fort Bend (TX) Hightower High School QB and Cane commitment A.J. Highsmith led his team to the state finals last weekend, completing 10 of 13 passes for 220 yards and two touchdowns and rushing three times for 44 yards and another score.

His rushing TD was from 10 yards out; his passing touchdowns were from seven and 15 yards.

"They were a solid defense," Highsmith said. "Now we play (Dallas) Allen High School for the title this Saturday at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Allen is a really good team. They lost one game early on and that's it."

Hightower has a 13-0 record, and Highsmith is only playing quarterback.

Some speculate he could be a defensive back in college, but Highsmith said UM coaches are recruiting him to be a quarterback.

"Miami coaches were at my school last week and they said they're going to try and go to the game, so hopefully I'll see them this weekend," Highsmith said. "Coach (Tommie) Robinson stopped by last week for an in-home visit, and it went well. We just talked about how Miami is going to be in the future, how I'll fit into the program.

"They want me to play quarterback, and he talked about how they want to find guys that have heart for the program and get solid players and get back on top."

For now, Highsmith is only focused on one goal: Winning a state title.

"That's what I've been working for for four years," he said. "I just want to win a state championship for my team."
dont sleeep on High Smith

fu*k ratiings hes a 5.6 raiting the same as colt mccoy

look at those #;s hes putting up in texas :wow: :rasta

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Philly Kids Be Like
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Video inside Hot 97's Marisa Mendez Says She Sucked Lil Wayne's Eggplant, Exposes Hi..
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dear yesjulz...pls come ruin my life
2 days ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Redskins Coach Caught Peeing In Gatorade Cup During Game
22 hours ago
most viewed right now
22 Savage says fu-k his current murder charge
22 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Omg wtf YOUNG MA WITH MAKEUP ON