most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Keep it 100: Would you jump in this 3some
33 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
141 comments
@misc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '05        #4901
CO Butta 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,394 | Props total: 1 1
Props on being ranked
 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM         #4902
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
We ranked 23rd boys
 8 years ago '04        #4903
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 594 594
MIAMI, Fla. -- When Allen Bailey sacked Tyrod Taylor to seal Miami's 16-14 win over Virginia Tech Thursday night there was no telling how big of a play that would be towards the future success of the University of Miami football team in 2008.

The 'Canes were still scoreboard watching because with two games left on the schedule in order for Miami to represent the Coastal Division in the ACC Championship Game in Tampa on December 6, the 'Canes needed North Carolina to lose.

That's now happened after Maryland sent Miami an early Christmas present by beating the Tar Heels 17-15 on a late field goal.

Now, let's put that sack by Bailey into perspective and see what it saved. A potential ACC Championship Game appearance, a potential BCS bowl game, something no one could have envisioned at the beginning of this season and a fifth straight win for the 'Canes who are now sitting pretty at 7-3.

"We ran a stunt. We ran the same stunt the last play, but the guard didn't get me. I finally got a grip on him (Taylor) and didn't let him go," Bailey said of his sack.

His teammates surely knew how big of a sack it was as well. They mobbed him after the sack and continued to mob him on the sideline following the sack.

"I couldn't breathe for a minute because all my teammates were on top of me," Bailey said. "It feels real good to get a win, make the plays and celebrate with my teammates."

Making a big play is something that the Hurricanes defense has started to make a habit of late in games no matter what happens earlier in the game.

Against Virginia Tech, it was no different as the 'Canes defense struggled with its tackling in the first half, but in the second half it was a different story as the defense swarmed and surrounded Hokie quarterbacks putting constant pressure and wrapping up.

However, nothing was bigger than the final series capped by Bailey's sack. With Taylor at quarterback and his ability to move around the pocket and run for first downs, there's no telling what could have been if Bailey had not been able to take Taylor down. A couple of first downs and the Hokies could have set up for a game winning field goal.

Instead the 'Canes came away with a huge win over one of their biggest rivals.

"We wanted to make a big play to get them off the field and get our offense back on the field to finish it off. That was crunch time," Bailey said.

Making it more special for Bailey is that he is still a very young guy playing a new position at defensive end.

"I try to work on something each week to get better," Bailey said.

Response to Bailey, it's definitely working.
 8 years ago '04        #4904
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Running back Javarris James is glad the Miami Hurricanes are ranked, that is a good accomplishment, but he and his teammates aren't done.

James recognizes that while UM is riding high on a five game winning streak, but they still have plenty of work to take care of the next few weeks before they can pat themselves on the back.

"We still have work to do," James said. "Every team in America wants to be in the top 25, but we can't get satisfied. It is an accomplishment, but we are going to put it behind us and focus on Georgia Tech."

James ran the ball seven times for 29 yards and a touchdown against Virginia Tech last week. He also caught one pass for 19 yards.

James didn't watch the Maryland-North Carolina game last weekend because he was driving home to Immokalee so he could spend time with his family while the game was being played.

James said his teammates were excited with the result of that game, but he feels like that won't change the way Miami will play this week at Georgia Tech.

"I feel like no matter what the results of the Maryland-North Carolina game, we were going to treat this game important," James said. "We know from here on out we know we control our own destiny. Guys are talking about how they want to get back to practice and get back to work."

"We still feel like it is us against the world. Some people looked at us and thought we had a disappointing with the way we started. We weren't worried about what everybody else was thinking, just the guys in the locker room. We aren't going to relax and we know the way we got here was to work hard and that is what we are going to keep doing."

Javarris credits the way Miami has played during this five game winning streak and how they have particularly played well in the second half to how Miami has practiced during that stretch. According to James it is a drill at the end of practice that has forced Miami to learn to finish.

"It is a credit to how we practice," James said. "We always start practice with going up against the scout team, but then we always finish practice with the ones on offense going against the ones on defense. We keep score and guys take much pride in that. Whoever wins gets to talk trash."

James also says he is encouraged by the fact that this year's team doesn't rely on just one player to win games. Each week a new player emerges to lead UM to a win.

"The thing that is real special about this team is every week somebody new makes a play. If somebody goes down, then there is somebody else who comes in and makes a play. That is just how Miami football has always been."
 8 years ago '04        #4905
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
being ranked doesnt mean sh*t if you cant sustain it

hopefully them boyz take care of business on thursday, gtech has owned us lately
 8 years ago '04        #4906
booie4 
space
space
OT Jason Fox returned to practice Sunday with his right ankle heavily taped. Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland said Fox's lateral movement was fine, and he should be close to 100 percent for Thursday night's game.

"He's playing," Shannon said of Fox's status for Thursday.

WR/PR Travis Benjamin was banged up on Thursday and Shannon said, "We don't know about him yet, but he moved around pretty well (today).

"The best thing about it is we have some depth at that receiver position."

Shannon said the team worked hard on defending Georgia Tech's triple option in today's two-and-a-half hours of work on Greentree Practice Field.

"It was good work today," Shannon said. "We got some things done working on the option (against the scout team). We're going to have to play catch-up on game time because of the speed, but we're doing everything we can to resemble what they're doing on offense.

"We're still working on the red zone this week, have to get better at it."

* UM is back in the national rankings for the first time in over two years. The Canes are ranked No. 23 in the AP poll this week.

Shannon's reaction to that?

"It really doesn't (matter)," Shannon said. "The only thing that matters to us is we have an opponent on the road that's playing very well, which is Georgia Tech. that's the only thing that matters to us right now."

The next question posed to Shannon: How nice is it to control your own ACC destiny?

"We don't think about it," Shannon said. "Not at all. We're just worrying about Georgia Tech."

* QB Robert Marve struggled with fumbles in practice today and did roly-polies afterward next to Patrick Nix - Marve would pounce on a ball every 10 yards and secure it.
 8 years ago '04        #4907
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami Head Coach Randy Shannon discusses this week's opponent as Miami prepares to play Georgia Tech.

Opening Statement

"This week we have Georgia Tech Thursday night, another ESPN game. We have to make sure that we stay focused and concentrate on the game and not let anything else...We have to work on the little things and do the small things that win each week. Defensively, we are working heavily on the running game because that is something Georgia Tech does very well. Knowing Coach Johnson, they are going to grind on the option game, but first and foremost get the fullback running game going more than anything."

News & Notes

? Georgia Tech's option attack on offense is always difficult for a team to prepare for because it is a rare offensive scheme these days. Shannon said this is probably the most difficult team to prepare for because it is hard to put a scout team together that can come close to doing the same types of things.

"Number one, we don't have the offensive linemen that can do the things that they do," Shannon said. "Their offensive linemen are quick and they like to crab you and go after your legs a little bit. We just have to stress upon them in practice that no matter what happens, you have to over-exert yourselves in getting to the football. Let's get five guys around the football"

? The importance to stopping the option, Shannon says, is playing a.ssignment football and playing sound. "This game is more about responsibilities more than anything," Shannon said. "It is not about who is going to make tackles, it is about a.ssignment football and executing what you do on defense. If guys are doing their jobs and getting off blocks then you are going to be fine."

"You can't break. You are going to give up yards rushing, that is what they do. You are not going to hold this team down to under 100 yards rushing. You are not going to do it. You have to make sure when you have opportunities to stop them, you stop them."

? Shannon also said the team is working on tackling high this week because with the option, the ball carrier usually hold the ball up high and it can be easily popped out if they are tackled high.

? The last time Shannon remembers playing against a triple option offense is against Arkansas in 1991 when Barry Foster was the running back. When Miami last played Nebraska, the Cornhuskers primarily ran a speed option type of offense.

? North Carolina played Georgia Tech well early this year and Shannon said the main reason why they had some success against Georgia Tech is because UNC forced them to make long drives in order to score touchdowns.

? Georgia Tech's offense will receive a lot of attention, but their defense is one of the top units in the country. Georgia Tech ranks 14th nationally in total defense and ranks 11th nationally in turnovers gained with 25 this year. Shannon listed defensive ends Michael Johnson and Derrick Morgan, safety Morgan Burnett, and defensive tackle Darryl Richard as Tech's standout players on defense.

"They have got four guys upfront that do a great job of causing havoc and it is going to be a challenge for our offensive line to stay focused. We may take a negative play here and there, but stay focused and don't get discouraged because we have four quarters of football to play."

? Shannon said this year's defensive line is the deepest it has been since 2005. Shannon said he has seen progression from the young defensive line and he credits a lot of their recent success to the depth they have built at those positions.

"When you see these guys rotating in, they are playing a lot of reps and there are only so many blocking schemes they can do and so when you rest guys like we do, they feel fresh and they are not tired. I think that is the biggest thing, that we have depth at that position."

? On three of Miami's six sacks against Virginia Tech Josh Holmes was in the game and played a big part in UM getting to Tech's quarterback. Holmes pushed the pocket from the middle and forcing the quarterback to step up in the pocket. "When we had those sacks, it is because Josh Holmes is getting push from the inside and the quarterbacks have to step up and stutter one or two steps," Shannon said.
 8 years ago '04        #4908
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Jason Fox wants to play on Thursday.

Fox, a junior left tackle and three-year starter, missed his first game since being a Hurricane last week with a sprained ankle.

He had started the previous 33 games--25 at left tackle, 8 at right tackle--before having his streak snapped.

"That's just statistics," Fox said. "I'm worry about winning games. I didn't even think twice about that. I was just happy we won the game."

With Fox out of the lineup, Reggie Youngblood took his spot at left tackle.

Now, with a pivotal ACC contest against Georgia Tech on Thursday, Fox has resumed practicing and feels good.

"I had it all wrapped up," Fox said. "When they secure it in place, it feels pretty good. The last couple of days I have been running around and it feels pretty good. When it's braced up, it kind of locks it into places where I don't face pain."

Fox said he is unsure if his reps will be limited on Thursday. "That's the coach's decision. I'm going to prepare like I'm going to play every play,"

However, if it is up to him, he wants to play.

"I definitely want to play," Fox said. "That's just how I am."
 8 years ago '06        #4909
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,671 | Props total: 12186 12186
wow just wow

i think this running back class is gonna go in the history books

:wow:
 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM         #4910
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It just sucks one of'em is probably gonna get a rs.
 8 years ago '04        #4911
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,796 | Props total: 1400 1400
 JNyiri77 said:
It just sucks one of'em is probably gonna get a rs.
why...we got plenty of backs.
 11-19-2008, 01:13 AM         #4912
The Lefty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Coop
James
Brown
??
 8 years ago '05        #4913
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 The Lefty said:
Coop
James
Brown
Mike James
Lamar Miller
Shawnbrey McNeal
Lee Chambers
Do yall think Damien Berry gets moved back to DB?

Last edited by dipset kid0221; 11-19-2008 at 02:22 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #4914
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
mike james is gonna be raw as fu*k...kid has speed, cutback ability, vision, nice moves in the open field, and can put his helmet down and rock n*ggas.

i think berry gets moved back to safety next spring, and chambers or mcneal end up switching positions (DB/KR/PR ??) or transferring

that'll leave:
coop
baby j
bryce brown
mike james
lamar miller

as the main backs. either way you look at it, it's a good problem to have...remember just 2 years ago we had to suffer through watching slow-ass tyrone moss and charlie jones plodding their way behind fat-ass jerrell mabry:sick:
 8 years ago '04        #4915
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Like a lot of his teammates defensive tackle Marcus Forston appears to be getting a lot better as the season progresses.

Forston made his first career sack against Virginia Tech and he appears to be hitting his stride against the college opponents at this point in the season.

Read here to see what Forston says going into this week's Georgia Tech game and what he feels like the keys to stopping the option are.

What is the key to stopping the option?

It is just a.ssignment football and it comes down to fundamentals and techniques. The team just has to believe that the next man is going to take care of his job. It is all about just trusting and believing in us too. You never know who has the ball, so you have to tackle the man that comes through your gap.

You have to work for every yard on every play. You have to hustle to the ball and leave everything on the field.

Talk about the play at defensive line right now and how competitive it is at that position. It seems like each game there is a different combination of starters?

"The other guys who are at defensive tackle, they are practicing and going hard everyday because they know that they got two guys behind them who are going just as hard. It is the guys behind you and the guys in front of you who will make you better. When I come in I want to practice hard everyday and that makes the older guys practice hard and that makes us a better unit."

"Coming from Northwestern, that is all we know how to do is compete. We love to compete. We were saying at the beginning of our senior year what we want to do when we come here and we just wanted to bond with the older guys and make everybody feel like family. That just goes back to Northwestern."

Does being ranked and being in control of your own destiny mean much to you as an accomplishment?

All the freshmen still don't get the BCS or any of these things, so the seniors have to break it down to us and tell us what is going on. We still don't get it. In high school it is just be district champs, when all your games and make it to State. Just keep winning, that is all we know.

"Nobody thought we would be in this position right now. Just to be able to play for an ACC Championship means a lot, but we aren't finished yet and we haven't gotten to our goals that we set during the summer."

Is it going to be different this week than against Virginia Tech because you may stop Georgia Tech, but they may run for over 200 yards?

"They are going to have big runs, but the seniors that pull everybody together will pull us together and say it is alright because they are going to do that. We have to stay calm and stay humble and get three and outs."

How much do you think you have progressed this season since the beginning of the year?

"When I first got here all I knew was to rip and then use my speed because I was bigger and stronger than everybody. When I got here, everything was equal and I had to focus on my technique and fundamentals. I know the guys have a few years on me in the weight room so it is going to come down to technique and who is going to go hard."

You had the first sack of your career last week. Were you pretty pumped up after that play?

"I was very pumped up after that play. It was something I have been wanting and stressing all year. I have gotten to the quarterback before and I have been so close, but they threw the ball away. The only thing I did different was that I finished on that play. I got off the block and burst to the quarterback."

Sean Spence was saying he gave you a hard time all week asking you when you were going to get your first sack. Did he say anything to you after that play?

"Before that play he told me that we need this play and to change the game and get to the quarterback. I looked back at him and told him I got it, so I had to make that play to get us off the field."
 8 years ago '04        #4916
booie4 
space
space
This is the game. This is the game when I said the 'Canes would go 3-1 in the final four games that had me worried. It was a week after a huge home game against Virginia Tech and on Thursday night which promises to be a crazy crowd in Atlanta.

So what do the 'Canes need to do in order to make that 3-1 a 4-0 and get the Hurricanes into the ACC Championship Game and possibly the Orange Bowl on January 1st, something none of us would have ever expected?

It's simple, yet not so simple because it's not easy.

It starts with the offense not turning the ball over. No turnovers. Simple right, but never just that simple. If the 'Canes simply don't turn the ball over, that will increase the chance of winning a great deal.

Put it this way, if the 'Canes don't turn the ball over, they win this game. Period.

Defensively, is where the game will be won for Miami though and it requires doing one thing: stopping the run.

Last year when Miami played Georgia Tech, the Hurricanes defense was gutted by Tashard Choice who rushed for 204 yards as the Yellow Jackets dominated the second half in a 17-14 win over Miami at the Orange Bowl.

For Miami to win, that can't happen again. Choice may be gone, but the Tech running game is still the key to their offense as Jonathan Dwyer has rushed for over 1,000 yards this season and eight touchdowns.

Quarterback Josh Nesbitt is also a huge threat running the ball as the leader of the offense. He's rushed for 498 yards.

The 'Canes defense is not the same as it was last year. They have shown that over the past month stuffing most opponents' ground games all season. And it's a young group that flies all over the field. Sean Spence alone will make a huge difference in stopping the run.

Quite frankly, this is a game Miami can win in the first quarter by putting up 14 points quickly. If the 'Canes can jump ahead 14-0 after two possessions, Georgia Tech is not a team that is going to make any comebacks based on their offensive-style alone. If the 'Canes jump out on top 14-0, they will blow Tech out. It could get ugly quickly.

The Yellow Jackets have little to no passing game so if they fall behind by two scores and have to start passing the ball, Miami's defensive line, led by freshman Marcus Robinson should have a field day teeing off on Nesbitt.

Nesbitt has one real wide receiver and that's Demaryius Thomas who has 33 catches. The next best receiver for Tech has seven catches.

However, if the 'Canes allow Tech to stay close and let the game become a slugfest gut check, it could be a long night for Miami.

So what do the 'Canes do? Stuff the box, stuff the run, put the corners on an island and make Tech throw the ball to win. Make Tech show you they can throw the ball. My bet is they can't and the 'Canes come away with an easy win in Atlanta.

I'm booking reservations in Tampa now. I've been convinced.
 8 years ago '04        #4917
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Defensive tackle Josh Holmes has only played three games since coming off an injury, but he has already made a big impact on defense.

Though Holmes did not register a stat in UM's 16-14 win over Virginia Tech last week, he made his presence felt.

Holmes was on the field for three of UM's six sacks and he was responsible for creating a push up the middle of the offensive line.

"When we had those sacks, it is because Josh Holmes is getting push from the inside and the quarterbacks have to step up and stutter one or two steps," Head Coach Randy Shannon said.

In the three games he has played in this season, Holmes has totaled four tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss.

Holmes combination of quickness off the ball, leverage because of his small stature, and speed make him a nightmare for opposing offensive lines to block on passing situations. When it is third and long, Holmes is going to knife through the offensive line and force the quarterback to move.

While UM's opponent will not look to throw the ball often, Holmes will play a key role in controlling the line of scrimmage against a triple option running attack. One of the keys in stopping a triple option is having fast athletic defensive linemen and Holmes certainly is fast and athletic from the defensive tackle position.

"It is going to be hard because we don't face an offense like that all the time," Holmes said. "It is usually just Navy, Army, and Air Force. We have to play a.ssignment football and each person has an a.ssignment, so you have to do your a.ssignment no matter what goes on. That is the only way you can stop it."

One of the reasons why Georgia Tech's offense will be tough to go up against is because no scout team can simulate the speed that Tech runs the option at. With that being said, Holmes said walk-on quarterback Devon Hill has done a good job as the scout team quarterback this week in preparing UM.

Hill is a true freshman who will run track at Miami and he played quarterback at Camden High School in New Jersey.

"You can't really show the speed of what Georgia Tech does," Holmes said. "That is their offense and they run it with a lot of speed, but I thought the scout team offense has done a great job in presenting the triple option to us."

"That one time that you don't do your a.ssignment, they make a play off of that."

When Holmes is asked about the enormity of what a win at Georgia Tech would mean for the rest of UM's season, he shrugs off the questions and says all he wants to think about now is beating Tech.

"We really do just pay attention to that one game," Holmes said. "We don't really care what is going on unless we are winning. The coaches have really been focusing to us to take one game at a time and that is what we have been doing and why I feel like we are where we are."

Nov. 19, 2008
 8 years ago '04        #4918
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Gino Torretta knows a thing or two about being a great quarterback.

Torretta, the 1992 Heisman Trophy winner, was recently inducted into Miami's Ring of Honor and ranks second on UM's all-time list in passing yards with 7,690.

Torretta also won two national championships while at Miami (1989 and 1991) and played five seasons in the NFL.

Currently, Miami has won five in a row and is ranked No. 23 in the AP Poll as they take their 7-3 record into Georgia Tech on Thursday.

At quarterback, Robert Marve is the starter, but Jacory Harris rotates in.

There has been a lot of talk about the quarterback situation at Miami this season as both players have finished key games.

"Usually when you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one, but Washington won a national championship with two guys," Torretta said. "Can it work? I think it all depends on the player, how they will react.

"I think both of them have the ability. That's the impressive thing. How they are making it work now is amazing. When they have one and put the other one in, that guy is just on fire. Usually when a guy comes in, he's kind of cold, has to get loose, but when one guy is cold they put the other one in and he's hot."

Torretta is impressed with how the two have handled the situation.

"Any guy who has started, it doesn't work because you want to start and play the whole game," Torretta said. "You're not in that situation. These kids want to play and win football games. If it works, it is their personal decision of how it works."

Marve, a redshirt freshman, has completed 97-of-181 passes (54 percent) for 1,041 yards and seven touchdowns with 10 interceptions. He has also rushed for 128 yards and two touchdowns.

"I was impressed with Robert in the Florida game," Torretta said. "He had no fear. He was throwing balls where they had to be in a certain location and he still threw them. Sometimes in a tough game, you try to aim the ball and you are overly careful. He wasn't like that. He throws on the run very accurately."

Harris, a true freshman, has completed 68-of-115 passes (59 percent) for 701 yards and seven touchdowns with three interceptions. He has rushed for 64 yards and two touchdowns.

"Obviously his size is a huge key," Torretta said. "He doesn't look like he's very fast, but nobody seems to catch him and he throws the ball well. To be a true freshman and last year to be in high school and this year you are starting for the Miami Hurricanes, that's pretty impressive."

Torretta waited two years behind Craig Erickson before starting his junior and senior years.

So could he have rotated?

"Obviously I probably wouldn't be standing here if I was rotating."
 8 years ago '04        #4919
booie4 
space
space
Miami and Georgia Tech battle in an absolutely critical ACC Coastal Division battle.
THURSDAY NIGHT THROWDOWN
11-20-08

All Times Eastern

Main Event

Miami at Georgia Tech

Time: 7:30
TV: ESPN
Line: Georgia Tech by 4.5

Importance of the Game to Miami: Miami is in control of their own destiny in the ACC Coastal Division. If they can win this one and at North Carolina State, they win the division. It's that simple. This would be a huge step for a program that had come on hard times since joining the ACC. The Hurricanes were supposed to come in and play for ACC titles immediately, and win more than their share. However, since joining in 2004, they really have only played for one title, and that was in 2004, when a home loss to Virginia Tech in the season finale gave the title to the Hokies. They have never been to the ACC Championship Game. This year gives them a real shot to get there.

Importance of the Game to Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets need plenty of help to get to the ACC Championship Game, but it absolutely must start here. There is no way they can win the division with a loss in this one. This is a chance to showcase the program on Thursday night. Paul Johnson has really turned things around in Atlanta quickly, and this is a chance to show the whole country just how much things have changed in the last year. They have a shot to maybe not win the division, but certainly put themselves on the college football map with a win here.

Quote from Randy Shannon, Miami head coach: "We feel really good. We're on the right track and definitely headed in the right direction."

Quote from Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech head coach: "Miami is playing as well as anybody right now. It's fun to watch them [Miami] play defense. They play hard, run to the ball well and fly around. They have an excellent defense, and on offense they have some skilled people with a lot of speed. It is going to be a big challenge for our team on Thursday night. After the last game, we are looking forward to getting out and playing again. You never like to lose, and you want to try and get that taste out of your mouth so it's always great to have another opportunity."

Breakdown:

Miami Offense vs. Georgia Tech Defense: The Miami offense was put back in the hands of Robert Marve last week. Jacory Harris could see playing time at quarterback, but these two are really about the same at this point in time. Graig Cooper has been the feature back for the Miami offense lately. He is averaging 4.9 yards per carry and has four rushing touchdowns. Aldarius Johnson has turned into a fine wide receiver for Miami's offense. Johnson is averaging 10.6 yards per catch and has three touchdowns. Georgia Tech's defense is allowing 3.5 yards per rush, and opponents are completing 58 percent of their passes. However, the Yellow Jackets have held opponents to just 9.1 yards per completion and have intercepted fifteen passes. The leader is Morgan Burnett, who leads the team in tackles and has six interceptions on the season. Derrick Morgan has six and a half sacks, while Michael Johnson has six and twelve tackles for a loss. This is a very good Yellow Jackets defense. They don't do a great job against the run, so Cooper will need to have a big night. If he doesn't, it is tough to not see Marve and Harris throwing at least two costly interceptions.

Miami Defense vs. Georgia Tech Offense: Quarterback Josh Nesbitt is uncertain for the game. If he is not 100%, the offense is not as good. Against North Carolina, the offense looked very average (at best) and he was not 100%. If he looks like that again, then this offense could have their struggles. Jonathan Dwyer is one of the top running backs in the country, but he really feeds off of Nesbitt's play. Dwyer is averaging 6.6 yards per rush and has eight rushing touchdowns. Johnson's running offense does not lead to a lot of standout receivers, but Damaryius Thomas has 33 catches for 16.9 yards per catch with three touchdowns. Miami's defense is allowing 2.9 yards per rush. Opponent's are completing just over 51 percent of their passes for 12.2 yards per completion. Glenn Cook leads the team in tackles and also has seven for a loss. As was seen last week against Virginia Tech, the Hurricanes defense has speed and can make plays in the backfield. Plus, they can get pressure on a quarterback. Can they control the Yellow Jackets offense? It will be a challenge, but with Nesbitt's health in question, they should not lack confidence.

Prediction: It sounds like Nesbitt will still be somewhat limited in what he can do. That's not good against this Miami defense. If that is the case, then Miami will come up with the tough road win. If Nesbitt is 100%, then the Yellow
 8 years ago '04        #4920
booie4 
space
space
Miami travels to Atlanta this Thursday for a Coastal Division showdown in which a UM win would help them take one step closer to an ACC Championship birth.

This week's matchup won't be easy for UM, who has lost to Georgia Tech the last three years.

UM enters this game riding a five game winning streak while Georgia Tech waits with the 14th ranked defense in the country and a running attack that averages 250 yards per game.

Read on for an analysis on the keys for UM during the game and for an idea on what to watch for during the game.

What Georgia Tech Does Well

This is no surprise, but Georgia Tech excels at playing old school football. They run the football and play great defense. Because their offense runs the triple option, the Georgia Tech offense receives a lot of the publicity, but their defense is nasty and one of the top defensive units in the country. Tech's leading tackler, safety Morgan Burnett, is tied for the national lead in interceptions (6) and their defensive line is considered one of the top units in the country. Georgia Tech's defense sets the tone of the game and excels at causing turnovers and getting to the quarterback.

Why Georgia Tech Loses

When Georgia Tech loses it is largely because of one reason: they turn the ball over too much. In the three games that Georgia Tech has lost this year, the Yellow Jackets have averaged three turnovers in each game--with the majority of those turnovers being fumbles. Georgia Tech is always going to be able to run the ball--they averaged 253 yards rushing--so teams that beat Tech didn't stop the run. What teams did do in the games where Georgia Tech lost was win the turnover battle. Defensively, what happens to Tech in their losses is that they struggle getting to the quarterback. In those three losses, Georgia Tech totaled just four sacks.

Player to Watch

Wide receiver Damaryius Thomas. Georgia Tech runs the ball 90 percent of the time, but when they need a big play in the passing game, Thomas has been their one and only option downfield. Thomas (6-3, 229) is dangerous because he is such a physically gifted receiver and he often finds himself open or in one-on-one coverage because teams key in on the run so much. Thomas has 33 receptions for 559 yards (16.9) and three touchdowns this season. His most impressive game came against Duke when he had 230 receiving yards and all nine receptions of the game. Miami's secondary can't afford for Georgia Tech to open up their offense and hit Thomas for any big gains. His threat as a receiver can change a game and open up Tech's offense.

Key Matchup

Miami's offensive line Vs. Georgia Tech's defensive line. Georgia Tech probably has the best defensive line that Miami will face all year and have one of the top five defensive lines in the country. Everything that Tech does well defensively starts with them. Georgia Tech lines up Michael Johnson (6-7, 260) and Derrick Morgan (6-4, 270) at defensive end and Darryl Richard (6-4, 290) and Vance Walker (6-2, 293) at defensive tackle. Those four players have combined for 19.5 sacks and 39.5 tackles for loss this season.

Miami's offensive line gets a little deeper this week with the return of Jason Fox at left tackle and his return and leadership will be much needed against this Georgia Tech defensive line. With Fox out last week against Virginia Tech, the offensive line did a great job of protecting UM's quarterbacks for an adequate amount of time and opening some running lanes for the quarterbacks and running backs. The offensive line will need to have their best game of the year against Georgia Tech and they will be responsible for how well UM's offense does this week.

Stat of the Game

Miami has been a second half team all year, outscoring opponents 87-38 in the third quarter t his season. Miami has allowed one second-half touchdown in its last three games and has outscored opponents 38-7 in those three games.

What the Game Comes Down To

This game comes down to Miami protecting the quarterback, Matt Bosher carrying over his stellar performance in the Virginia Tech game, and of course the defense limiting Tech's triple option offense from breaking any long gains. This game will be similar to last week's Virginia Tech game in that UM will have to play a sound game and not make any mistakes. It will be a low scoring game, so the play of Matt Bosher in kicking and punting will be particularly crucial.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
69 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
219 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 6 - Tom Ford Thinks All Men Should Be Penetrated At Least Once
275 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
58 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Just got the 2016 Escalade
249 comments
20 hours ago