NBA Westbrook to KD: I'm Coming at Your Neck Every Single Night
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Reminder Black Friday Starts Now at Walmart.com
36 comments
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside TEKASHI69 saves Magnolia producer Pierre from an ass whooping or worse
40 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #4821
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
people need to quit overreacting. It was just a practice... a spring practice. Totally meaningless. Still a lot of time until the fall for these boys to get their stuff together. Everybody is gonna have their shining moment, the offense which they did last week and the defense. I'm glad this week was the defense's turn to dominate. Let's remember that in 2000 - 2003 the defense was always ballin in the spring and the offense was quite pathetic at times. And sh*t yeah we're way better Offensively this time with Whipple finally establishin a running game from the I, Strong-I, Singleback; unlike what the moron Nix was doin from the shotgun all the damn time.
 9 years ago '04        #4822
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,967 | Props total: 2776 2776
i was gonna stop by traz powell and catch the scrimmage but got caught up in some sh*t....good to hear the defense is doin their thang, i'm not worried about the offense they'll come around
 9 years ago '05        #4823
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,042 | Props total: 639 639
lmao i guess nobody cares that bryce commited to tenn...lmao oh well good riddance
 9 years ago '08        #4824
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,554 | Props total: 1982 1982
 Deeangoe said:
lmao i guess nobody cares that bryce commited to tenn...lmao oh well good riddance
Oh they care...They care...:lachen001: F*ck Brice though..
 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM         #4825
The Lefty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lamar Miller > Bryce Brown.

/Bryce Brown discussion.
 9 years ago '04        #4826
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,900 | Props total: 44 44
Ex-Miami QB narrows choices to six

Story Highlights
The former Miami quarterback departed following his redshirt freshman season
Michigan, Purdue, UCLA and Nebraska are among six schools still in the running
Per NCAA regulations, Marve will be eligible for two seasons, starting in 2010

By Andy Staples, SI.com
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
robert.marve.jpg
Robert Marve narrowed his search to six.
David Bergman/SI
ADVERTISEMENT

TAMPA, Fla. -- One of college football's most sought-after free agents has narrowed his list to six finalists, but his final decision probably won't come for more than a month. Former Miami quarterback Robert Marve, who left the Hurricanes after his redshirt freshman season, hopes to choose a new school after visiting Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue, Texas Tech, South Florida and UCLA.

Marve, who spent Saturday on USF's campus helping to coach players from alma mater Plant High in a seven-on-seven tournament, said the second time through the recruiting process differs drastically from the first. Coaches' sales pitches get taken with a larger grain of salt. "Definitely it's different," Marve said. "You kind of take things more realistically."

Per NCAA transfer rules, Marve will have to sit out the 2009 season. He'll be eligible to play two seasons beginning in 2010. Marve started 11 games in 2008, throwing for 1,293 yards with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions while splitting time with true freshman Jacory Harris. Marve was suspended for Miami's season opener and for the Hurricanes' Emerald Bowl loss to Cal for violations of team rules.

After Marve decided to transfer, Miami coach Randy Shannon refused to release him to any ACC or SEC school or to any school in Florida. An appeals panel amended Marve's release, allowing him to transfer on scholarship to any school except an ACC member, Florida, Tennessee or LSU.

Whichever school Marve chooses will get a player rested and ready to practice. "I've been kind of bored at home," Marve said. "All I do is lift weights and read books."

he really wanted to stay close to home :disdain2:

Last edited by KiNgJaMeS305; 03-16-2009 at 08:27 PM..
 9 years ago '05        #4827
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
atleast he has usf in his final 6 lmao
 9 years ago '04        #4828
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
i don't know who's more of a joke, this n*gga marve or bryce brown?

9 years ago '04        #4829
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,836 | Props total: 4096 4096
in the words of Homer J. Simpson...I have already forgotten their names
 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM         #4830
NYGallday  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
WEDABest

CANES ALL DAY

R.I.P SEAN TAYLOR

Shot outs to Ed reed,ray lewis,andre johnson,beason,hester

too many to name

we gon beast this year that defense aint no joke

:agreement6::agreement6:

Last edited by NYGallday; 03-17-2009 at 09:04 PM..
 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM         #4831
CANEBOI11  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Royal Palm Beach (FL) High School WR Chris Dunkley says he's "not worrying" about recruiting right now.

He certainly doesn't have much reason to worry.

The 5-foot-10, 164-pounder already lists over 20 scholarship offers, including Miami, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina.

After finishing last year with six punt returns for scores and three kickoff returns for touchdowns, he says he hears comparisons to former Canes Santana Moss and Roscoe Parrish.

But he says he's keeping everything open right now.

"I'm open to everybody, am weighing my options," he says.

Dunkley attended a Cane spring practice and spoke with coaches while there.

"I talked to coach (Aubrey) Hill and (Clint) Hurtt," Dunkley said. "They were talking about how I'm doing, things like that. They wanted me to come and watch the practice. I wanted to come and see how they run their practice. It was good."

Dunkley also plays defensive back in high school but is only being recruited for offense.

What's most important to him in a college program?

"A great offensive line and great quarterback," Dunkley said. "I want a good offense."

Dunkley says he will likely announce a college decision at the Under Armour All-American game - he's graduating high school early.

Of UM, he says "I like Miami a lot. I could see myself playing at Miami. I like how they have a pro style offense, the tradition at Miami."
 9 years ago '04        #4832
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
p***y a.ss gaytors keep running away from the canes

FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ
Florida Sports Buzz: UM football is spurned by UF; UM rejects FIU
Get Adobe Flash player
Alex Ehrenzeller, a UM student, pretends to be bitten by a Florida gator statue outside the stadium on Saturday, September 6, 2008, in Gainesville. The game, won by UF 26-3, will not be played again until 2013 when the teams will renew their rivalry at Dolphins Stadium.
Buy Photo
Alex Ehrenzeller, a UM student, pretends to be bitten by a Florida gator statue outside the stadium on Saturday, September 6, 2008, in Gainesville. The game, won by UF 26-3, will not be played again until 2013 when the teams will renew their rivalry at Dolphins Stadium.
CHARLES TRAINOR JR. / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

* Photo

WEB VOTE
Do you think UM should play UF in every football season?
Yes, there is nothing better than a match between instate rivals. Yes, UF would be a measuring stick for UM's progress as a team. No, UF is a much better program and would regularly beat up on UM.
Your vote has been counted, thank you for voting.
By BARRY JACKSON

The Gators rejected another UM pitch for more frequent football games. Meanwhile, UM said it is dropping the FIU men's basketball series and has decided not to play FIU in any revenue sport anytime soon -- a result of the 2006 football brawl.

UM proposed playing UF in football twice every four years so every player can experience one home game against the Gators. ''Currently, there are no plans to play Miami past the 2013 game,'' UF athletic director Jeremy Foley wrote in an e-mail. ''This may change, but if it did, it would not be on a schedule of twice every four years.'' Foley denied broadcast speculation that UF wants to escape the 2013 game at Dolphin Stadium. (UM played at UF in 2008.)

On the FIU decision, UM's Kirby Hocutt said, ''There's history there,'' referring to the 2006 brawl in UM's 35-0 victory. (Miami won 23-9, without incident, in 2007.) ''This particular time, it's not in Miami's best interests'' to play FIU, said Hocutt, who will allow FIU matchups in nonrevenue sports. ''Will it change in five years? Ten years? I don't want to speculate.'' FIU AD Pete Garcia declined to comment.

The teams played in men's basketball this season, and four of the past five. The baseball series ended after 2008, doomed largely by friction between UM's Jim Morris and FIU's Turtle Thomas.
 03-22-2009, 10:35 PM         #4833
The Lefty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lol guess we aren't the only ones who know what kind of talent we got brewing..
 9 years ago '04        #4834
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
DVD looking to rebound; Baby J hurt again

CORAL GABLES -- Part of what makes spring football exciting for college football players across the country is that it is an opportunity to put what could have been a bad regular season behind you. It's a chance to show coaches you are going into the fall -- when it matters -- with something positive to build off of.

DeMarcus Van Dyke Consider Hurricanes cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on that list. After a freshman season in which he started eight games, Van Dyke took a step back as a sophomore. He started only twice and often found himself lost in former defensive coordinator Bill Young's coverage schemes. When he had chances to make plays, he didn't make them. He dropped at least two interceptions and got beat for the winning touchdown catch in a loss to North Carolina. At one point during the season, he was regulated to playing only in Dime coverage situations.

"The one thing I think did well my freshman year was that I played with confidence," said Van Dyke, who has yet to record an interception "People thought my freshman year I was going to go out there and play scared. But I did what my coaches wanted me to do. My second year, it really didn't go that way, but I'm not worried about it, that's last year. I'm moving forward."

Consider Van Dyke ready to rebound.

He says likes the new coverage schemes in new coordinator John Lovett's defense because "we're doing a lot more technique stuff and playing from top down instead of bottom up."

Whatever new things the defense is doing, consider Van Dyke in dire need of doing them well. UM needs him to. The cornerback position is wide open -- and thin. Aside from Van Dyke, the only veteran corners are senior Chavez Grant (whose played nickel his entire UM career) and sophomore Brandon Harris. There are other veterans. But seniors Sam Shields (converted wide receiver) and Ryan Hill (safety last season) played other positions before this spring. The other guy in the rotation is freshman Brandon McGee (who is still practicing by the way despite reports of his broken finger).

The good news for Van Dyke (who missed the first week of spring with a knee strain injury he suffered during a track meet in January) is he's facing one heck of a receiving corps day in and day out.

"They can become the top receiving crew to ever come through Miami," Van Dyke said. "They have so many different styles. Laron Byrd can go deep and be physical. Aldarius [Johnson] too. Leonard Hankerson, he's big and fast. Tommy Streeter is tough. Kendal Thompkins, I call him the Roscoe Parrish of the group. Going up against them definitely makes you better. They're probably the best receiving group in the nation."

Van Dyke didn't make any interceptions at Tuesday's practice -- the first since the team's second scrimmage of the spring on March 12. But he did bat a few passes away during Tuesday's light workouts at Greentree Practice Field, which took place in shorts and helmets. Here are some more notes/observations...

Javarrisjames > THE NEWS OF THE DAY: Running back Javarris James will not be participating in the Spring Game this Saturday. James was working off to the side with trainers and appeared to be focusing on his left shoulder. The injury might have happened in the team's last scrimmage. UM Sports Information office didn't tell us what the injury was. It's definitely bad news for Baby J considering injuries have ruined his previous two seasons. A bum shoulder would be a new place for him. A neck injury slowed him as a sophomore. A high ankle sprain and sore groin slowed him even more last year.

> TOP PLAYS: Freshman running back Mike James continues to impress. He made a great catch on a pass over the middle deflected by safety Jojo Nicholas. James kept his eye on the ball and caught it in stride before racing into the end zone during 11 on 11 work; cornerback Ryan Hill made a nice interception reaching out with his back facing the quarterback to steal a pass away from receiver Davon Johnson; Johnson made up for it a few plays later when he broke free for about a 30-yard touchdown catch when both Chavez Grant and Sam Shields followed Laron Byrd over the middle, leaving Johnson wide open.

> Yes, I'm back on the beat. For those of you wondering where I was I had a double whammy when I got back from Providence Thursday. My best friend got married (I'm not making it up) and I moved into my new home. The Herald was nice enough to give me five days off in a row. I had to take advantage of every minute to get through both of those hurdles. I'll have my interview with athletic director Kirby Hocutt tomorrow.
 9 years ago '04        #4835
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Miami 3/24 Practice Notes (no contact, no pads)

Depth chart looks similar to the last scrimmage.

7 on 7 Highlights

Cannon threw 2 INTs, one each to Hill and Shields. WR's dropped a few balls, they seemed out of synch following Spring Break. For instance Smith threw 2 passes into the endzone, one to Johnson and one to Byrd, both dropped.

There was a seperate 7 on 7 drill that was blocked from the media and fans.

11-on-11 highlights

Harris threw a 70 yd TD to A. Johnson on a post route. Holton had an INT, followedby a Harris pass to Kendal Thompkins for a 30 yard gain. Benjamin also dropped a deep Harris pass. Street caught a TD pass from Harris under pressure.

Practice finished with 2-minute drills. Mike James caught a short pass and scored from 25 yards out.

Romeo Davis and Khalil Jones were among those watching.

Injuries - J James (undisclosed), Ojomo,(2 weeks precautionary),Dedri ck Epps, Joel Figueroa (participated 1/2 practice), and McCarthy. Eric Moncur participated in individual drills.

Tommy Streeter was back. No players were absent - hopefully the rumor of a player getting into some minor trouble over Spring Break in Tally are unfounded.

Matt Bosher punted for the first time in awhile.

Guests - South Plantation's high school team. Stephen Plein was there again.
 9 years ago '04        #4836
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Intangibles key in Miami's start to '09

March 24, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

There is no questioning the talent on Miami's roster. It's the intangibles that not even the staff can predict. They've got a new offense, a new defense, a new quarterback, and they're all trying to find some chemistry and get the program back to where they want it to be. They have the talent to do it.

Here's the thing, though. Miami's schedule simply doesn't allow the Canes any margin for error. There are no William & Marys to work out the kinks. The Miami Hurricanes have to play their best football in September, or it's going to be a long season.

Gut feeling? There will be no in-between for this team. Miami will either start the season 4-0 or 0-4.

The good news is first-year offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's confidence oozes down to the players, and receivers coach Aubrey Hill said they're picking up the offense quickly. For such a young team, they're preparing the right way, and that's critical.

"Sometimes you have a lot of young kids who say Yeah, I want to win, but don't really do the little things to win and then you have to call them out on it," Hill said. "We haven't had to do that at this point. And also, in fairness to those guys, they are very competitive. When you learn a new offense, you have some things you have to correct, but when you come out the next day, you're not having to correct the same mistakes. So, that's a good sign."

Receiver LaRon Byrd is also a good sign. He's been studying a lot of game film. Not just any game film, though, vintage Miami film.

"You get the best of both worlds -- you've got a great offense you can learn from and you can learn from great cornerbacks who played on the 2001 team," Byrd said. "Not to say that last year was a downfall year, but at the same time it's not the Miami way. Like coach Shannon always preaches, when you look at great teams like that, from the five national championships, everybody around here expects to win at least 10 games a year. Every great program has their downfall, but hopefully we're going to rise again. I think we can get it started this year right here."

Byrd is one of many young players on Miami's roster growing into his reputation. So are players like Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin and Aldarius Johnson. They're a young team carrying expectations similar to the 2007 Virginia Tech team that had veterans like like Macho Harris, Xavier Adibi and Brandon Flowers.

"It's such an unknown," Hill said. "When you look at Virginia Tech over the last several years, teams that have won the ACC championship, what they've done, you know the players they had. There are so many new names on our team, but at the same time, if they're not new names, they're fairly young. But at the same time, our coaching staff feels very comfortable that even though we have young players, to a certain degree they're proven because they've already played."

The Canes circled the first game, and that's it. Everyone knows they're playing Florida State, and the players and coaches refuse to look past the Noles.

"Maybe if you're somewhere else, not necessarily within the ACC, maybe you wallow and say wow, man, this is a tough schedule," Hill said. "At the University of Miami ... we feel we can compete and play against anybody."

They can't afford to start the 2009 season believing anything less.
 9 years ago '04        #4837
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
per rivals,

LT Jason Fox has a new aspect to his game: Lower hand placement.

Line coach Jeff Stoutland showed Fox pictures of NFL linemen and then showed Fox the same players in college. The difference? In the NFL pictures those players had lower hand placement when blocking.

"Coach Stoutland's been trying some new techniques out," Fox said. "He's been talking to coaches at the next level and carrying those things down to us. It's working out.

"We watched film (of NFL players) and see how much cleaner their technique is at the next level, how the game evolves."

Will having his hands lower make a big difference?

"It helps get under the defense," Fox said. "When you get under their pads you can lift them up and stop their rush a lot easier. It helps out with leverage."

For his part Stoutland says "Too many players play with their hands outside here. If you're trying to push somebody and your hand's on their back, how can you push them? It's just showing the guys where their hands are going and leverage.

"We've worked on tighter hands."

Fox also was asked about the progress of first team right tackle Matt Pipho.

"He's done really well," Fox said. "We all have a lot of faith in him. He got his opportunity and he was ready for it. He stepped up to the challenge. He's a really smart guy. He came out and he knows his stuff."

* Sam Shields says he's "feeling more confident" at his new position - he moved from WR to cornerback this spring.

"I have to keep working at it," Shields said. "There's progress. Day after day I'm getting better on whatever I need help on doing."

* Free safety Joe Wylie is backing up Vaughn Telemaque.

But he's hopeful for a role on the field this season.

"The spring's going real well," he said. "I'm receiving great coaching, am just trying to work through it and get better every day. I can definitely see improvement in my game."

Wylie arrived at Miami at 170 pounds. He now weighs 205 pounds.

"(Andreu) Swasey has a great strength and conditioning program," Wylie said. "It's real easy to put on weight, especially if you do what you're told."

* Freshman RB Mike James has enjoyed a strong spring.

"I'm finding ways to help my team," he says. "I don't know, it just happened. A big play just happens before I even know it. I just get in there, say I'm going to run hard and whatever happens, happens."

James says "it's not easy" playing at this level.

"It's tough," he said.

But James says he's feeling more and more comfortable.

"After the Traz Powell scrimmage I felt more comfortable running the ball," he said.

James says his blitz pickup has been the hardest thing for him to learn.

* Allen Bailey again did not participate in any 11-on-11 work but did individual drills as he recovers from an unspecified injury. With Bailey out the first team tackles were Joe Joseph and Josh Holmes. Behind them were Marcus Forston and Micanor Regis.

* Highlights from the day's work in full pads:

In goal line drills the offense dominated. With the ball placed on the three, Jacory Harris ran in a score on the second play of the first series. On the next series Mike James ran in a two-yard TD on second down. On the following series Damien Berry pounded right up the middle for a touchdown on first down. On the next series Cannon Smith had an easy TD run on a bootleg around the right side. He was untouched on his way to the end zone.

On the first play of 11-on-11 non-goal line drills Graig Cooper took a handoff around the right end for a 30-yard touchdown. He was untouched on the play. Cooper had a 60-yard scoring run later, breaking around the right side untouched. LaRon Byrd had a big play with a 50-yard catch and run for a score, and Daniel Adderley also had a long touchdown catch and run on a pass from Taylor Cook.

Other offensive highlights: Tommy Streeter had a nice diving 15-yard catch, Thearon Collier had a 20-yard grab on the left sideline, and Byrd took a short throw for a 25-yard gain.

Sacks on defense came from Marcus Robinson (he had two), Marcus Forston and Olivier Vernon. Demarcus Van Dyke did a nice job breaking up a Jacory Harris pass, and Sam Shields had an interception when there was a miscommunication between the receiver and quarterback. Steven Wesley recovered a fumbled handoff exchange between Harris and Mike James. Vaughn Telemaque had a couple of nice stops in the run game.

* The first team receivers to start 11-on-11 work were LaRon Byrd and Leonard Hankeronson. The next set of receivers to get on the field were Tommy Streeter and Davon Johnson.

The first team cornerbacks were Brandon Harris and Demarcus Van Dyke. Ryan Hill and Chavez Grant were behind them. The first team safeties were Vaughn Telemaque and Randy Phillips.

The first group defensive ends to start 11-on-11 work were Marcus Robinson and Olivier Vernon. Behind them were Steven Wesley and Andrew Smith.

* During punt return drills the returners were Graig Cooper and Thearon Collier.
 9 years ago '04        #4838
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Stoutland: O-Line depth has ways to go

Beyond backup quarterback, it hasn't been hard to see this spring what one of the major concerns is going to be on offense heading into next season. Tied for second on the very questionable list: Second team left tackle, second team left guard, second team center, second team right guard and second team right tackle.

Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland prepares his players for practice. Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland said Wednesday his mission this spring was to try and find guys for those spots and establish a rough draft of a working eight to nine man rotation he could put on the field Saturdays (like he's done in each of his previous two seasons at Miami). Consider the job partially done at best. What Stoutland has really been able to do after 13 spring practices is figure out junior Matt Pipho can really be his starting right tackle (he's shown enough consistency), and that his three talented newcomers -- Ben Jones, Brandon Washington and Jermaine Johnson -- are better off in different spots than he initially thought. The rest really remains unknown.

"Our first group is a lot further along than our second group," Stoutland said. "Our first group is really clicking right now. Second group is just a lot of young people."

Jones, who began the season backing up Matt Pipho at right tackle, has been moved to the left side. Johnson, who began on the left side, has been moved to backup right tackle (where he told Stoutland he feels more comfortable). And Washington, who began at right guard and has since been moved to left guard, can likely play anywhere if needed.

The good news is all three appear talented enough -- along with right guard Harland Gunn (who has taken advantage Joel Figueroa has been out with an injury this spring) -- where they could be serious contirbutors down the road. But it's obvious they have plenty of work to do this spring and summer if they hope to turn the corner and really earn a spot in the roation. “There’s still a lot of teaching going on,” Stoutland said of his second team. “But they’re going to be good players down the road.”

Jones, who played mostly right tackle in high school, has to "learn and kick from a new standpoint," Stoutland said. "But I’m happy with him. He’s a real good athlete. He didn’t play at all last year. He was injured twice. It was hard to develop him. But he’s really come a long way this spring. If he continues to improve like that, then we’ve added more depth."

As for Washington, Stoutland says, "When he gets in that weight room full time, you’ll see him change a little bit." Stoutland said there is still a lot to like about Washington, especially his smarts and maturity after playing a year in prep school. "You talk about a bright kid, he’s very, very intelligent. We can do a lot of things with him and you only have to coach him once. He’s not going to [make a mistake] next time. He could actually, like Orlando [Franklin] did, end up helping us this year. He can play tackle, center. He’s extremely bright. Right now we got him playing left guard. Before he’s done here, who knows where he’ll play."

Joel Figueroa missed the spring with an arm injury > While Gunn has played the entire spring with the first team at right guard, don't expect him to remain there when Joel Figueroa returns this fall. "I can’t wait to get back to coaching Fig again. I believe he’s going to be a force," Stoutland said. "I think the best thing to happen to Harland was Fig not playing. Now we’ve established some depth. But Fig is really going to have to drop in a bucket [for him not to start]. I have a lot of confidence in that guy. I think all of our players do. Still, our guards have always rotated. So, Harland Gunn is going to play."

> Wednesday's practice had too many amazing offensive plays to mention. In fact, the offense really has dominated a lot this spring. Left tackle Jason Fox summed it up the best Wednesday -- and certainly laid the foundation for some trash talking heading into Saturday's Spring Game at Lockhart Stadium.

"I think the defense has won maybe one practice so far this spring," Fox said. "I don’t know if you watched practice but I think we scored every other play. We’ll see what happens Saturday. But we plan on... I'm just going to stop right there.
 9 years ago '05        #4839
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Redshirt freshman C.J. Holton is making a position change with the hope of earning more playing time this season.

Holton (6-1, 210) has officially switched positions from safety to linebacker after he played his new position well during the scrimmage and showing the potential to be a productive linebacker.

He is currently lining up at strong side linebacker.

"Coach Shannon just wanted to try something new because we are deep at safety," Holton said. "During the scrimmage he just threw me in at linebacker and the coaching staff I did pretty good so we just kept it rolling."

After watching the film from the scrimmage, coach Micheal Barrow convinced Holton that a move to linebacker was in his best interest.

"I was nervous because I didn't really know what I was doing," Holton said. "I was just flying to the ball and making tackles, but the coaches said I did good. I felt bad at first about how I did, but coach Barrow called me and said I did pretty good."

One plus for Holton regarding the position change is that he won't have to worry about keeping his weight down. Holton reported to UM last fall weighing 223 pounds and has worked hard to get down to the 210 pounds he currently weighs in order to play safety.

Now Holton can eat a regular diet and not focus on keeping his weight down. Holton says he can get to 225 pounds easily by next season.

"Coach Shannon said I can gain the weight back now," Holton said. "Now I can just relax and eat like I want to. It was rough and it sucked to keep my weight down, but I did it."

Holton believes that linebacker will be a better position for him in the future because now he can just focus on getting to the football as fast as he can. Holton believes playing linebacker is more about relying on instincts.

"At safety you kind of have to play a little hesitant where as at linebacker you have to go all out on every play," Holton said. "There is a difference. At linebacker you have to just fly around to the ball and play full speed."

"There isn't as much to worry about at linebacker. It is just flying around to the ball."

Now Holton believes he can see the field faster now that he has changed positions.

"I was going with the third team when I was at safety and now I am running with the second team," Holton said. "I should see the field a lot quicker now."

Mar. 25, 2009

By: David Lake
 9 years ago '05        #4840
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Sophomore wide receiver LaRon Byrd has adjusted quickly to offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's offense.

Byrd says he has been studying his playbook non-stop since Whipple gave the offense the new playbook and now that they have been through three weeks of spring football, Byrd says he has a strong grasp of the scheme.

"I know the receivers are comfortable with at least 95 percent of the playbook," Byrd said. "I know I study day and night inside and out. I know all the receivers are in their playbook too. I think the offense as a whole has about 95 percent of the offense down."

Byrd says the new offense has been too tough to learn. According to Byrd, the only thing he has had to learn is the new terminology that comes with the system. Byrd says overall there have been very few busts by the players this spring.

"It is just more complex," Byrd said of the new offense. "We have a NFL style playbook and so it is different terminology and a lot of us weren't used to it, but now this spring we are used to it and we have it all under our belts and we are ready for anything now."

Byrd finished his freshman season with a productive 228 yards and four touchdowns on 21 receptions. He showed great potential as a red-zone target last season and that he could become a very good receiver next season if he can continue to progress.

With the spring football game this Saturday, Byrd talked about what he wants to accomplish in the game.

"I am just focused on perfecting my plays," Byrd said. "The new offensive coordinator, coach Whipple, threw a lot at us and I want to make sure I am comfortable in all phases of the game. I just want to perfect everything like work on my footwork coming out of my breaks. I have gotten better at that now compared to where I was during the season. I just want to come out of my breaks, break away from the defense, and hopefully score some touchdowns."

Byrd says he has been impressed with how the cornerbacks have progressed this spring. He talked about going up against the defensive backs this weekend and which corner he enjoys going up against the most.

"We are going to give those defensive backs a battle and I think the offense is going to come out on top," Byrd said. "You can put that marked in stone."

"I would have to say Brandon Harris is the guy I like going up against the most because that is my roommate and we go at each other all the time telling each other we are going to get you today. When I get back home I am going to have to talk some trash to him."

Mar. 25, 2009

By: David Lake
Home      

most viewed right now
Tig ol Bittie Ms. Christine Lashawn
43 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside When you try to sell 4 new games and a system and GameStop offers $30
91 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is she too pretty to be a pornstar?
129 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
FCC plan would give Internet providers power to choose the sites customers see..
206 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
NFL Who is Currently your NFL MVP?
85 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Lit UPS Worker delivering a package near you soon
82 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nov 21 - Here's What u Have to Earn to Get a Mortgage in America's 50 ..
140 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cormega Responds To The Steve Stoute Interview Via IG
86 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy