Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #4601
booie4 
space
space
$4,870 | Props total: 582 582
MIAMI, Fla. -- Brandon Harris started his first game Saturday afternoon against Florida State. Prior to the game he was expecting it to be a game to remember, his first start and it was coming against Florida State

Fast forward to after the Canes dropped the game 41-39 and the tune was different. It turned into a game that Harris now wants to forget as he was whistled for two pass interference calls and a holding, all of which hurt the team a great deal.

"That's never happened to me before. For me to have it happen in my first college start, it's crazy, it's crazy. I obviously didn't have the game I wanted to and I felt I could have made a lot more plays out there and I felt I was in position to make a lot more plays," Harris said. "I just didn't make them and those plays I was missing I was consistently making them 100% of the time (in practice), and when I got out there and wasn't make them, I got frustrated. Everything happens for a reason so I have to keep working and come back strong and take advantage of my next opportunity."

Harris had his share of troubles covering bigger receivers like Greg Carr and Corey Surrency who are 6-foot-5 and 6-foot-6 and have some serious vertical leaping abilities.

At 5-foot-10 and 185 pounds the officials didn't make it any easier on him calling penalties on him on plays he thought there was no interference on, rather just being physical and attacking the bigger players.

"In a way I think so, the refs didn't let us play aggressive at all. At the same time, on my part I didn't play smart in certain situations. In certain situations there was no need for me to even make contact with the receiver. Instead I was being over aggressive. That's why I got the pass interference," Harris said. "Football is about getting off to a rhythm and when you get off to a rhythm, you get called for pass interference, you still want to stay aggressive, but it does mess with you mentally and I think I let it get to me too much rather than playing my game and I was playing out there a little timid, but I had to play a little more aggressive."

He said his aggressiveness is what caused the first pass interference on Surrency in the end zone even though the ball was batted down by a teammate.

"That's what happened on the first one. We pretty much got tangled up in the back of the end zone. There was really and truly no contact made, but the ref made the call and we had to live with it," Harris said.

The 'Noles would go on to score a touchdown taking a 7-0 lead.

Harris also talked about the holding penalty he was called on which gave the 'Noles an automatic first down on third and long, but the call left him confused because he didn't feel there was any contact and it had nothing to do with the play.

"Me and the slot receiver on the other side of the field got tangled up and he was trash talking and stuff like that then he went to the ref crying and he gave it to him. The thing I was concerned about is I was the backside defender and I had no interference on the play at all, the play went to the front side so I was totally confused on that call, but I just got to learn from it, take it as a learning experience and just move on," Harris said.

However, Harris is a student of the game and understands that he will have his share of ups and downs during his freshman season and can only get better.

"It was a tough day in general. You always want to play aggressive, but sometimes I felt like I had a couple of bad calls I didn't do well on my part, but if I had known the refs were going to be real particular on the calls, I could have played more smart on some of those plays, playing the ball rather than playing so aggressive. It came back to hurt me," Harris said. "You don't want to lose to Florida State so you want to go out and give it your all. We just have to take advantage of opportunities."
 8 years ago '04        #4602
booie4 
space
space
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Since Javarris James went down with a sprained ankle against Florida five weeks ago, Graig Cooper has been a marked man.

All eyes have been on him and he made sure he stepped up having a pair of great games against Texas A&M and North Carolina, but all of that rushing success came to a halt against the run stifling Florida State defense this past Saturday as he came up with only 32 yards on six carries.

The questions about Cooper loom large. Can he handle being an every down back? Is he effective between the tackles? Or is he simply a change of pace running back to be a secondary back to James?

Cooper exploded early against Texas A&M and North Carolina only to see his production slow down as the game went on.

Through five games, Cooper has rushed 60 times for 322 yards and three touchdowns with much of the work coming early in games. He is averaging 5.4 yards per carry.

So with James expected to back, Cooper is happy about seeing his backfield mate back in action even it means he will be getting fewer carries.

"I am looking forward to it. I am really excited. I've been waiting for Baby J to come back these last couple of weeks that he's been out. He'll help out the team a lot too because he can help out with the run game," Cooper said.

Cooper is especially positive following the 'Canes near comeback after falling behind 24-0 in the second quarter. He also got a chance to throw a pass which resulted in a touchdown to Travis Benjamin.

"I always had confidence in our offense. We almost finished, we have to get out almost and finish the game and we'll be a much better team for it," Cooper said.

Cooper also remains confident in his team because he feels things coming around even in a loss.

"We have to keep working, keep working. I still have a lot of confidence in my brothers," Cooper said. "I am real happy for this team. I am not as hurt as I was against North Carolina because we had this game. We came out fought to the end. I'm real excited about this team."
 8 years ago '06        #4603
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11929 11929
 Junior G said:
he not gonna qualify....he'll get placed in prep he not smart enough for UM lol.....great get though.

EDIT : ooo I see he did I guess? still gotta wait though.
Lamar Miller is worth the year to wait for :applause::applause::applause:
 8 years ago '04        #4604
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
great news on lamar miller, i needed some good news after the last two weeks

still need some o-linemen to open holes for all the backs we have comin in tho
 8 years ago '06        #4605
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
As many of you probably know already, the Canes landed their 15th commitment of the year and third running back in its 2009 class late Monday night when Miami-Dade's top recruit, Lamar Miller of k!llian High, announced he was choosing UM. The big development in the Miller saga according to his high school coach Steve Smith was because he finally scored high enough on the ACT (20) to get into UM. Miller looked like he might be an academic casualty. Instead, he got the score he needed and got into the program he always dreamed of playing for. Miller (5-11, 205) is a Top 100 player according to Rivals. He has a Dade-best 95 carries for 742 yards and 10 touchdowns right now through five games.

sounds like he wont be going to prep school at all
 8 years ago '05        #4606
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,894 | Props total: 289 289
 P. Dedos said:
sounds like he wont be going to prep school at all

not so fast my friend...dont count out donna shalala that fu*king wh0ore whos notorious for flagging dudes who qualify becuz its just a miracle that dude improved his scores miraculously and of course might even ask to retake the test again...ie remember bobby washington...

ill always blame her for how we are today, fu*king turning us into the moder day notre dame

Last edited by Deeangoe; 10-08-2008 at 03:13 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #4607
booie4 
space
space
Randy Shannon's office in the University of Miami athletic center is large and professionally decorated, full of rich mahoganies, leather chairs and a plush couch -- all tastefully designed to impress recruits and their parents.

From one corner of the room emanates the soothing gurgle of a four-foot waterfall, a sort of New Age accouterment meant to suggest serenity.

Shannon could use a little of that.

This Hurricanes football season hasn't offered him much.

Nor has the simmering impatience of many UM fans.

''You want to win so fast,'' Shannon said Tuesday in that private office. ``You want to win in a rush.''

He meant himself but knew he spoke for starved Canes fans as well.

It isn't easy being green (and orange) today, being of The U and watching the last national championship from 2001 fade ever more in the rear view. It isn't easy bearing the indignity of seeing interlopers in the Top 25 -- South Florida, Wake Forest, Ball State, Vanderbilt -- while the once-mighty Canes operate in unaccustomed shadows.

UM football meant a cottage industry of c*ckiness once along with those five national titles, and the swagger seeped from the field to the fans. It is a humbling time to be a Cane, and humility is not a franchise trademark. So fans think ''ticktock, when's the next parade?'' Think when will the Canes not just be pretty good again but be great?

And here is Shannon, traffic cop at the busy intersection of Nadir and Ascent, having to preach patience, being the guy advising, ''Stay calm,'' while expectations and hunger form a panicked herd thundering all around him.

Expectations? UM got rid of Larry Coker because a six-year record of 60-15 (53-9 before his last year) didn't cut it.

The populace loved Shannon because he was a lifelong Cane and mostly because he wasn't Coker. But do they still love him? Not so much, if you read e-mails and blog comments or hear the vitriol flow on rant radio.

Slaves to the bottom line only want to know that Shannon went 5-7 in his debut last season and that's he's 2-3 this season after consecutive tough losses to North Carolina and Florida State -- the latter game always a litmus test for the State of The U.

YOUNG GUNS

Too many fans (and media suffering from premature agitation) delight in pointing out Shannon's Atlantic Coast Conference record of 2-8. But too few have the foresight to look beyond it and see what Shannon is building.

Miami has 14 true freshmen, two redshirt freshmen and 10 sophomores playing significantly, including both quarterbacks. The group has some playmakers harking to the great old days. Including both quarterbacks.

Contrast that with UM's upperclassmen, the players recruited on Coker's watch. The cupboard is bereft of much. An NFL general manager said this group of Canes seniors might have less impact in the April draft than any UM class in almost 30 years. The streak of first-round draft picks will end. It is not a given Miami will have anyone drafted.

I doubt there is another major program more lopsided, enjoying more potential from its youngest players while getting less now from its older ones.

Shannon didn't inherit much, but has flexed his well-regarded recruiting prowess to rebuild the foundation.

His babies need time to grow, that's all.

Do I know Shannon will be a great head coach? No. Nor do I know he won't. He might prove to be a great recruiter and natural defensive coordinator less suited for head coaching, who knows? What I do know is that he deserves time and patience, not intractable judgments 17 games in.

He says, ''We're excited in the direction we're going,'' and level-headed Canes fans should have faith, too.

Shannon said he expects this season to end in a better record than the last one.

I asked if this team will be in a bowl game.

''We should be in one,'' he said. ``Yes.''

ON COURSE

He is convinced in his direction, convinced this team is better than last year's. Shannon can flat-out recruit -- he doesn't need the plush office and soothing waterfall for that -- and he will grow as a head coach.

Shannon offers an even keel publicly, not wearing defeats like open wounds as Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson did. He can seem aloof at times.

''Everybody mourns differently,'' he said. ``I don't have much patience or accept losing, but I internalize. I didn't sleep for two days after these last two losses. I may lay my head down, but I don't sleep. There are growing pains.''

And better days beyond them.
 8 years ago '04        #4608
booie4 
space
space
When the University of Miami hired Bill Young as defensive coordinator last winter, there were high hopes the long time coaching veteran would be able to turn a struggling defense into one of the nation's best again.

But after an impressive performance at fifth-ranked Florida and a win on the road at Texas A&M, Miami's defense has gone from being one of the ACC's best to not being able to make a key stop when needed. The Canes gave up two late passing touchdowns against North Carolina to squander a 10-point fourth-quarter lead and then surrendered 281 yards rushing to Florida State Saturday.

On Tuesday, Young, who hasn't spoken to the media much since his arrival, took most of the blame.

''We're not all on the same page as a defense and obviously that's my responsibility,'' said Young, 61, who turned Kansas in six seasons from one of the worst defenses into the nation's fourth-best scoring defense (16.3) and fourth-best at creating turnovers (35) a year ago.

``We're making a few mental mistakes at the wrong time and when you do if your not in the right position bad things can happen if they attack that area. That's one of the biggest issues and it's something we identified a long time ago and worked extremely hard on it. Coach [Randy] Shannon has provided all kind of time on it, particularly the red zone where we've had all types of issues and on third down where we've had issues. We've had that in our practice day in and day out. We just have to continue to strive to get it right.''

KEY MOMENTS

The Hurricanes allowed Florida State to convert on 11 of its 17 third-down opportunities Saturday, including what turned out to be the game-winning touchdown on 3rd-and-goal from the UM 20 when Antone Smith split Miami's defense on a draw play and scored.

''Anytime an opponent has success whether your first down, second, third or fourth down you're disappointed as a coach and it's our job to get those things corrected without question,'' Young said. ``The play of the game was 3rd-and-20. They're trying to setup a field goal because they don't want to give up the interception and we give up a touchdown. It's frustrating. But we got to get that corrected. And we will. We're working hard at it.''

Opponents are now converting on 50 percent of their third down chances this season against the Canes and have scored all 16 times they've been in the red zone. UM has given up 14 touchdowns on those red-zone visits. The Canes have also struggled to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks, failing to get a sack against FSU and netting only two against North Carolina.

Shannon said Tuesday morning that red-zone defense and third-down defense would be the point of emphasis this week as UM (2-3) prepares to host the University of Central Florida (2-3) at 3:45 p.m. Saturday at Dolphin Stadium.

''That's the thing k!lling us right now -- third-down defense. As you can see, were stopping them on first and second down,'' safety Anthony Redd*ck said. ``Most times it's third and long. We just have to find a way to come together and for everybody to suck it up and come off the field. I think the past two games we lost, third and long k!lled us. If we get out of third down, were in a different situation right now.''

Young said repeatedly Tuesday he doesn't want his players to take the blame, especially the young ones.

OUT OF THE PICTURE

UM has lost three key veterans to injury in the past month. First, it was veteran safety Randy Phillips. This weekend it was learned linebacker Colin McCarthy and defensive end Eric Moncur are likely out for the season. Miami is expected to put more and more freshmen and redshirt freshman in the mix to replace those players, including linebacker Arthur Brown, whom Young said Tuesday has been elevated from the practice squad to second team behind freshman Sean Spence at weakside linebacker.

Saturday, Spence, Brandon Harris and Marcus Forston were three true freshman to start on UM's defense. Spence starred netting 10 tackles and an interception return for a score. Harris struggled, drawing two pass interference penalties, a holding penalty and missed a few tackles. Young said normally he would expect those players to spend the season being red-shirted and learning the defense.

''We're not close to where we want it to be. And if we don't go out there and get a shutout, we're disappointed as players and coaches,'' Young said. ``It's a growing process and we have to be as patient as we can as coaches and players alike. And that is a growing process and keep working and be positive and understand its not something that's fixed overnight. You don't just draw it up on the board and everybody runs out and gets it done the way you want it done. It takes reps and obviously the younger players your playing with, it takes more [time].''

Forston joked Tuesday about the difference in high school playbook from his college playbook. ''Playbook? We came in and drew the defense up on the board. It stayed up there the whole week. It was your job to come in and look at it,'' Forston said of his time playing for Miami Northwestern. ``I came here and I had to get me a hard folder to hold all the plays. I had to learn it in two weeks. It's confusing. You don't know the difference between all these calls. Straight calls. Boundary calls. You have to learn it.''

Young said he's been able to implement about 50 percent of his defense so far and adds ``it's more important we do somethings right instead of everything wrong.''

''We want to progress as fast as our slowest guy. We really do,'' he said. ``I hope I'm not bringing across the players aren't playing to our expectations. Because they're playing hard. And they're doing a great job. We just have to be patient with them and let them play because we do have a great group of guys.

``Each day and each week we're getting a little bit better. But we want to be better last month.''
 8 years ago '04        #4609
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The answer to why Miami's defense is currently struggling?

The players are still adjusting to and learning a very complex defensive scheme Bill Young is installing as UM's defensive coordinator.

According to Young the biggest reason why the Miami ranks 116th nationally in red-zone defense and 111th in third down conversion defense is because players are still learning the new defense.

"When you make a mental error, it is crucial," Young said. "I certainly don't want to stand here and point fingers at our players because that is our responsibility. What you see is what you coach and it is our job to get them in the right spot at the right time."

Young estimates that he has fully installed only about half of his total defensive scheme.

When Young's players do get a grasp of his schemes, his track record has shown that he can be the leader of one of the top defenses in the country. Last year at Kansas, his defense ranked 12th nationally in total defense, ninth in third down conversion defense, and fourth in turnovers forced.

Young's defense takes some time to grasp. During his first year as defensive coordinator at Kansas, the defense ranked 112th nationally in total defense and 106th in turnovers gained. Each year after that, Young's defenses gradually rose in the national rankings.

So what the defense is going through now is growing pains, but in time the defense will be back to where it needs to be.

"We are not all on the same page as a defense and obviously that is my responsibility, but we are making a few mental mistakes and we are making them at the wrong time. When we do and we are not in the correct position, things can go bad in that area."

Young says he understands that it will take time for his players to fully understand his scheme and that they have put in a great amount of effort in trying to learn the defense as fast as possible.

"Our players are responding and their attitude is as good as it can be," Young said. "We just have to continue to work as hard as we can as coaches to get them in the right spots at the right time."

"Nobody is hurting worse than our players from the standpoint that we don't live up to our end at the end of the ball game and let them score at the end of the game and things of that nature."

One of the biggest issues Young is addressing this week is red-zone defense. Miami has allowed 14 touchdowns out of a possible 16 red-zone opportunities this season. This week third down defense is a major point of emphasis as UM prepares for Central Florida.

"That is one of the biggest issues and it is something that we identified a long time ago and we have worked so hard on it," Young said. "It is in the red-zone where we have issues and on third down when we have issues and we have had that in the practice schedule day in and day out. We just have to continue to strive
 8 years ago '04        #4610
booie4 
space
space
You can't point finger at UM's Shannon yet; blame 2-3 start on weak junior, senior classes

You don't start with Randy Shannon or Patrick Nix or the dual quarterback system. You don't start with that 12th man on the field who changed everything Saturday or the successive home losses in what could become another long autumn at the University of Miami.

You start by asking a NFL scout how many Miami players will be drafted next spring.

"They'll probably be shut out," he said Tuesday.

Shut out of the first round?

Dave Hyde Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

"Shut out, period," he said. "Nobody off that team is probably going to get picked. They just don't have anyone that I want to take a chance on."

If it happens, it would be a first at Miami since -- get this -- Nixon was president. The spring of 1974. You could argue it should be 1980 since Miami only had a 12th-round pick that year and the draft only goes seven rounds today.

Whatever you pick, 1974 or 1980, Nixon or Jimmy Carter, there are some dots that need connecting before people shout too loudly how Shannon needs to grow into the job (he does) or Nix has to call a better game (he does) or the defense has to grow some teeth in the fourth quarter (no question).

Do you see the correlation between this drifting Miami season and an empty talent base with the upperclassmen?

That's why Tuesday, up and down the halls of the Miami football office, there was a buzz about the news out of a Dade high school. Lamar Miller, a running back from k!llian, isn't the story here. He's just the latest vehicle to view tomorrow with more hope than today.

Miller wanted to stay near home. He tired of visits and calls from the likes of Southern Cal's Pete Carroll, Alabama's Nick Saban, Florida's Urban Meyer and Florida State's Bobby Bowden. And so, for the fifth time, one of ESPN's Top 150 players in the nation, called Shannon in recent weeks.

He then text-messaged his coach at k!llian High, Steve Smith.

"I committed to Miami," Miller wrote.

In a stretch of ugly Saturdays for Miami, as blown home games against North Carolina and Florida State get regurgitated, Tuesday's news provides a window into the bigger picture. If you care to see it. If you ignore for a second the dumb plays and shoddy finishes defining this second year of the Shannon era.

Miller isn't exactly why you should buy Miami futures, because there are plenty of big high school stars who aren't worth their blue chips in college. But freshmen linebacker Shawn Spence and receiver Travis Benjamin lend credence to Shannon might know what he's doing in a way Larry Coker didn't.

Spence and Benjamin were the best Hurricanes on the field against Florida State. The freshman and sophomore classes might account for half the starting lineup for Miami on Saturday. Whether that's because they can play or they have to play with the weak upper classes is anyone's guess right now.

"We're going in the right direction," Shannon said, as he's said for months now.

Good programs start at the top. Just like bad ones do. We don't know yet which way Shannon's will turn.

He isn't putting his name up in lights in his second year in the manner Saban is at Alabama in his second year.

Saban also has a safety, Rashad Johnson, projected to be a No. 1 pick and four others expected to be drafted. That's not a bad inheritance to step into.

Here's what Shannon inherited from the program he was a part of but Coker ran: Junior Sam Shields was the 12th man on the field Saturday in the game's pivotal play, moving Miami back to the 9-yard line. Seniors Anthony Redd*ck and Bruce Johnson were split by North Carolina for a 74-yard touchdown.

Miami has had a first-round pick taken each year since 1994. That stops this year. It probably starts a streak the other way, too.

"Out of their junior class, I see two, maybe three guys who can get drafted in 2010 if they stick around for another year and develop," the NFL scout said. "They aren't top picks. But they'll get picked, I'd think."

Shannon says he doesn't sleep for two or three nights after losses. He sits and thinks of what went wrong. Sometimes, surely, he thinks of the cavalry he sees coming: Quarterbacks who aren't freshmen, Benjamin bigger than 165 pounds, the new kid named Miller and his fellow blue chips.

No one knows if Shannon can a.ssemble a program. But here's the question: In a year where his best players are freshmen, is it fair to yell that he can't?
 8 years ago '04        #4611
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES - The Miami Hurricanes hired long-time defensive coordinator Bill Young last winter with hopes of revamping a struggling defense.

After an impressive performance against Florida the second game of the season, the Hurricanes have had difficulty stopping opponents. In the last three weeks, they have allowed an average of 30.6 points a game. Florida State gained 440 yards in last week's 41-39 victory, including a 144-yard rushing performance by quarterback Christian ponder.

Young said it's a matter of the players still adjusting to his new system. He is UM's third defensive coordinator in three years.

"We're not all on the same page as a defense," said Young, who led one of the nation's top defenses last year at Kansas. "Obviously, that's my responsibility. We've been making a few mental mistakes and we're making them at the wrong time. When we do, if we're not in correct position, then obviously bad things can happen if you attack that area. That's kind of the biggest issue. That's something we've identified a long time ago."

Third-down and red-zone defense have been the biggest problems. Florida State converted on 11 of 17 third downs, the deciding touchdown coming on a third-and-20 late in the fourth quarter.

"Any time a team has success whether it's first-, second-, third-, or fourth-down, you're disappointed," Young said. "It's our job to get those things corrected. The play of the (FSU) game was third-and-20 and they're just trying to set up a field goal. They didn't want to throw an interception and we let them get in the endzone and that's frustrating. We got to get things corrected and we will. We're working hard at it."

It's no surprise the Hurricanes allowed a score. Opponents have scored touchdowns on all 16 red-zone appearances this season.

"We just have to continue to strive to get it right," said Young, who took some of the blame. "We worked on it (Tuesday). In fact, we started off practice in red-zone today. It's just those kind of issues ? Each day, each week, we're getting a little bit better. We wanted to do better last month."
 8 years ago '04        #4612
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Fleet feet of UM's Benjamin are fuel for fans, big plays

There's a buzz around the Miami Hurricanes growing louder and louder in the aftermath of the deluge last Saturday against Florida State. It centers on a little player with a big game, big hair and big dreams.

But when the football approaches the hands of Travis Benjamin on Saturday at Dolphin Stadium, the crowd will grow silent with anticipation.

Miami has found its newest playmaker. He's a mesmerizing, 5-10, 162-pound freshman whose long, flowing dreadlocks bounce when he runs and appear as big as he does. He's a Mini Cooper with a Ferrari engine and he's evoking visions of Devin Hester, Santana Moss and Roscoe Parrish.

''I know if I catch the ball and I have one-on-one, nobody can tackle me in the open field because of my speed and my ability,'' said Benjamin, ranked 10th in the nation in kickoff returns (29.9-yard average) and 11th in punt returns (17.1). "I'm fast and I'm quick, and if I see an open field I trust my speed to get through it.''

Benjamin, 18, out of Belle Glade Glades Central High, had a performance to remember Saturday in UM's 41-39 loss to FSU. He scored the first two touchdowns of his career on an 18-yard reverse and a 51-yard reception on a halfback pass from Graig Cooper. He had 71 receiving yards and returned six kickoffs for 185 yards.

That's 274 all-purpose yards -- the most by a UM player since Edgerrin James had 310 against UCLA in 1998.

''They k!lled us with that No. 80 back there,'' FSU coach Bobby Bowden said. "We had a big enough lead. They couldn't have caught us. But gosh, that 80 was bringing those kickoffs back and getting them in position.''

And he'll be doing it more.

''The big play -- he's a do-it-all guy right now,'' UM receivers coach Aubrey Hill said. "We're going to increase his role. I don't know how fast he is, but I can tell you he's faster than most of the guys we're playing.''

Benjamin said he was timed at 4.26 seconds in the 40-yard dash by UM coaches this summer -- blazing fast. He said UM's next-fastest freshman was receiver Davon Johnson at 4.34.

''In middle school, I was average,'' said Benjamin, who has yet to return a punt or kickoff for a touchdown in college. "I never knew I'd get this fast. I think every game I'm going to return a touchdown. Against Central Florida, hopefully if they kick it to me I'll make it happen.''

FAMILY SUPPORT

Benjamin, who also speaks fast, says he's shy. He grew up with his sister, Chasity, now 7, and older brother, Troy, 21, with their single mother, Cynthia Stewart, and grandmother Jackie Stewart. His mother is a correctional deputy with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office at the main detention center.

His father, Tracy Benjamin, is a 36-year-old handyman in Tallahassee.

His cousin, Alfonso Marshall, now 27, was a cornerback at UM and ended a short career with the Chicago Bears in 2004 after a knee injury.

''Travis has determination and heart,'' Marshall said Tuesday. "By the time he leaves college, you'll all be talking about how big he is.''

Tracy Benjamin, a former Clewiston High cornerback and wide receiver, said he gets it from his old man. "I used to move like that too. He's a real good kid, real nice, real special.''

Cynthia Stewart said Benjamin first played youth football at 7 but didn't seem passionate until he was 15 years old in 2005. His grandfather had just died, and Travis had been promoted to varsity for a playoff game the same day as his grandfather's funeral.

"The funeral was coming up, and he really wanted to play. I said, "Travis, your granddaddy's funeral is Saturday." He said, "My granddaddy knows I love him. If I don't play, I might be messing up my future.' That's when I knew he fell in love with football.''

Stewart went to the funeral without her son, and then saw him play. Except for Texas A&M, she and her mother haven't missed a game since.

THAT TRADEMARK LOOK

As for Benjamin's by now famous hair, he has been growing it since eighth grade. He went from an afro in fifth grade to braids in the seventh, and to dreads the next year. His mother allowed it, "as long as he kept up his grades and didn't twist them in class. I took him to the beauty parlor to have it done, and he went every three months until college.''

Benjamin plans on taking those dreads to the track at UM and said there's only one way fans won't be seeing that hair keep bouncing.

''I told myself if I ever get tackled by my hair, I was going to cut it,'' he said.

Said his mother: "I'll believe it when I see it.''
 8 years ago '06        #4613
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '04        #4614
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,024 | Props total: 2216 2216
Good get with Miller. Can't believe Shannon publicly stated that the turning point in the game against FSwho was Shields penalty. That's some fu*ked up sh*t for a coach, especially a collegiate coach to say even if it's true. Is it me or does Shannon have a scapegoat for every loss???
 8 years ago '04        #4615
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 1000bluntz said:
Can't believe Shannon publicly stated that the turning point in the game against FSwho was Shields penalty.
shields has done nothing the past 2 years but get into trouble and drop balls. shannon shoulda called that bum out a long time ago, he's pretty much worthless.
 8 years ago '04        #4616
1000bluntz 
space
space
 madness said:
shields has done nothing the past 2 years but get into trouble and drop balls. shannon shoulda called that bum out a long time ago, he's pretty much worthless.
That's true but regardless you don't call a kid out like that. He does suck, though. I still laugh at the thoughts of some of y'all thinkin' this little f*g**t was gonna be a better player than Percy Harvin.
 8 years ago '04        #4617
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 1000bluntz said:
That's true but regardless you don't call a kid out like that. He does suck, though. I still laugh at the thoughts of some of y'all thinkin' this little f*g**t was gonna be a better player than Percy Harvin.
shields is gonna fall into the ryan moore/lance leggett category when it's all said and done: supremely talented, yet dumb as fu*k.

i see yall got matt elam, that's a nice catch for the 2010 class.
 8 years ago '04        #4618
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
 1000bluntz said:
Good get with Miller. Can't believe Shannon publicly stated that the turning point in the game against FSwho was Shields penalty. That's some fu*ked up sh*t for a coach, especially a collegiate coach to say even if it's true. Is it me or does Shannon have a scapegoat for every loss???
I still cant believe Meyer let Tebow take all the blame for the loss against ole miss...Seems to me like he has a scapegoat too
 10-08-2008, 11:59 PM         #4619
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P. Dedos said:

[pic - click to view]

jacked :dancingcool:

edit - guess you can't prop ppl who are powerful

Last edited by Cheeze; 10-09-2008 at 12:01 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #4620
1000bluntz 
space
space
 Cap Peeler said:
I still cant believe Meyer let Tebow take all the blame for the loss against ole miss...Seems to me like he has a scapegoat too
Nice try homie, not even close though. Tebow shoulders a big burden, everybody should know that. We played like sh*t against Ole Miss and gave them the game, Tebow played like sh*t in that game. I'm pretty sure Tebow felt the need to apologize himself because the game was a joke and shouldn't have even been close, let alone a loss. That's what you call a leader who takes responsibility. It ain't the same as a coach blaming a loss on a loser kid who had a 5 yard penalty. You were still in the fu*king redzone and couldn't get it done.

And yeah we got Elam, he's a beast. Nice to see kids who commit early and want to be Gators, doesn't happen at UF as much as FSU and UM but times are changing.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside TMZ - 50 Cent Wins $14.5 Million From His Former Lawyers
55 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago