Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
217 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside #SPN: Zashia Santiago
39 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Orlando brown finally exposes what detective Vlad been doing for years.
161 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Video surfaces of weekend working on "crew love" with no drake lyrics
72 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #4561
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 596 596
The QB debate, possible DB changes & more
The one complaint I've heard more than any other since Miami lost to North Carolina Saturday isn't that the Canes secondary imploded or that the pass rush didn't do a good enough job getting in Cameron s3xton's face. It wasn't that UM offensive coordinator Patrick Nix did a bad job calling plays late in the game (although that's becoming another big complaint again). Nope, what Canes fans are most concerned about is the way Randy Shannon is handling his quarterbacks.

The complaint is simple: fans feel sticking in freshman Jacory Harris for a series is k!lling Miami's offensive momentum. Coach Randy Shannon has said time and time again this season he wants to get Harris in the game to make sure he's ready to go should starter Robert Marve go down. Tuesday, during his meeting with the media for the Florida State game, Shannon addressed it again and defended the decision. "The last two times we put Jacory in he went down and got three points. So we're scoring points," Shannon explained. "It helps Robert out to see what the defense is doing since we've been moving the ball, are they changing their defensive scheme? When he comes back he doesn't miss a beat."

For his part, Harris has done well when he's been in. He certainly hasn't hurt the team. He hasn't turned the ball over and he's moved the offense down the field. Marve, meanwhile, has still been able to move the team downfield and score points when he comes back in.

"I don't think it throws me out of my groove - I came back and completed balls," Marve said Tuesday. "I didn't feel out of groove. I felt good when I came back in (vs. UNC)."

The bottomline is there is more to this story than just 'Jacory needs experience.' I spoke with one of Harris' former position coaches at Northwestern Monday night who told me a big reason Harris decided to come to Miami in the first place was because Shannon promised him playing time -- regardless if whether or not Marve was healthy. If that's true, it might explain Shannon's commitment to his playing time. If you think about it, Shannon is in a tough spot here no matter what. Not only does he need Harris to be ready if needed, but he needs Harris to be here at the University of Miami and happy should anything happen to Marve. Neither of UM's other backup quarterbacks, Cannon Smith or Taylor Cook, look like they'll be ready any time soon to run this team. If Shannon doesn't play Harris like it has supposedly been promised, what's to stop Harris from leaving?

Privately, Jacory's former position coach told me Harris' family is anxious about Jacory having to wait three years to become the starter on this team (something Jacory mentioned to us last week). According to his position coach, other schools have continued to tell Harris' family and friends he could come in and start if he transferred. Miami obviously can't afford that. There is no star quarterback coming in with UM's 2009 class. Although AJ Highsmith plays quarterback in high school, he is likely headed to another position when he gets to UM. Locally, Miami has a real good shot at getting the next great QB in South Florida in Miami Central's Jeffrey Godfrey in 2010 (UM's Corey Bell was his head coach at Edison and Godfrey has known Tim Harris since he was a kid playing optimist ball in Overtown). But that's two years away. Harris, meanwhile, continues to put his best foot forward and maintain a positive attitude. "I just have to be ready," Harris said when asked of what's it like waiting to see if and when he'll come in and play. "If I'm not, there'll be a lot of mess-ups."
 8 years ago '04        #4562
booie4 
space
space
The struggling secondary: Coach Randy Shannon said Tuesday he's considering changes for Saturday's FSU game, and cornerbacks Bruce Johnson (ranked the nation's 32nd-best senior by Scouts Inc.), Chavez Grant and DeMarcus Van Dke are ``not doing what we want them to do, but we only have five corners. We can't pull rabbits out of a hat.''
The Canes, who allowed 15 touchdown passes last season, already have relinquished eight, and Shannon said it's shocking that UM has only one interception (and that's from defensive end Eric Moncur). One player said freshman cornerback Brandon Harris should be starting -- Shannon said he's already playing about 35 snaps a game. Harris said Tuesday he has begun getting first-team snaps in practice, opposite Johnson, with Grant playing some nickelback. At safety, Lovon Ponder might play more.

? Patrick Nix: Shannon strongly endorsed UM's scrutinized offensive coordinator: ``He's doing a great job . . . has done a tremendous job with [the quarterbacks]. . . . We're getting points.''

Some players would like to see more deep balls. But on the decision to run on a third-and-12 with UM ahead against North Carolina in the fourth quarter, Robert Marve said: ``I'd call the same thing. Why force the ball in a situation you don't need it to be forced in . . . especially a freshman?''

Ex-Canes receiver Michael Irvin has one beef: He said the system Nix brought from Georgia Tech places too much burden on receivers to read defenses. ''When you leave the huddle and you're worrying about reading defenses, you go to the line lacking confidence,'' Irvin said by phone.

? Player rotation: Marve insisted Tuesday that being replaced for a series or two by Jacory Harris doesn't hurt his rhythm. Graig Cooper was rested some after a fantastic start against North Carolina because ''we need Cooper fresh,'' Shannon explained. In fact, all players rotate and none plays an entire game, players say. Linebacker Colin McCarthy said players no longer tire late in games. Still, UM has been outscored 37-17 in the fourth quarter.

? Receiver battle: With all the freshman talent, why has senior Khalil Jones started three of four games? ''Everybody is playing the same amount of reps. Somebody has to start,'' Shannon said. (About eight receivers are playing close to the same amount -- Davon Johnson plays a bit less but more recently, receivers coach Aubrey Hill said.)

Jermaine McKenzie, who hasn't played, ''will have an opportunity this week,'' Hill said. Kendall Thompkins hasn't played the past two games; redshirting is an option. Hill said coaches would like to get the ball to Sam Shields, who has only four catches. ( Thearon Collier is injured.)
 8 years ago '04        #4563
booie4 
space
space
In several years when Miami linebacker Colin McCarthy is done playing football, he will still live on in the lore of the Miami-Florida State rivalry.

McCarthy delivered one of the most dramatic moments in series history last season when he picked up a fumble by Seminoles quarterback Xavier Lee and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown with less two minutes left in the game to clinch the Hurricanes' 37-29 victory.

''Since the Miami-Florida State rivalry is so big, and growing up watching the games on TV so far back, 20 or 30 years from now that might be something that is shown because of how big of a momentum change it was and how big of a win that was for us,'' said McCarthy, who also has 10 tackles against the Seminoles and earned ACC Defensive Player of the Week honors.

It's been six losses and almost a year since his big touchdown, but McCarthy said he still watches the play from time to time to help him visualize making big plays.

PLAYMAKER NEEDED

With Miami heading into Saturday's game against the Seminoles in almost the same exact situation as last year -- coming off a close loss and needing to build some momentum for the rest of the season -- that knack for making big plays has helped McCarthy emerge as one of the leaders in charge of getting the Hurricanes back to the top of the ACC

McCarthy started 10 games last season and finished fifth on the team in tackles with 74 tackles, including 2 sacks and 12 tackles for loss.

He is second on the team this season with 21 tackles, including a sack.

''He just has that instinctive ability to get to the ball,'' said senior linebacker Glenn Cook, who leads the team with 25 tackles. ``It's fun being next to him. He makes you comfortable knowing he's going to do his job and be there to make a play with you.''

McCarthy has also emerged as a key member of the Hurricanes' return teams.

He's made a habit of de-cleating opponents with thunderous blocks, something teammates say helps pump up everyone. Cook said he pays a little closer attention on punt returns to see what McCarthy will do and freshman defensive back Brandon Harris, who is on the punt block team, said the first thing he does after a return is look back at the replay screen to see if anyone got put on the ground.

MOTIVATOR

''Colin's a difference-maker,'' Harris said. ``He gets the team into it. He makes you motivated to go out there and hit somebody. You can watch the film, every game he puts somebody on their trunk, as we call it.''
 8 years ago '05        #4564
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
so collier is out or what?
 8 years ago '04        #4565
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Wide receiver Jermaine McKenzie will play his first game as a Miami Hurricane this week against Florida State.

McKenzie says he doesn't know when he will get in the game or how much he will play, but he is sure he will get in the game.

"Inside I am very excited, but on the outside I have to keep within my head and stay with the game plan," McKenzie said. "I have no idea how much I will play, but I know when my number is called I will be ready."

McKenzie says he will be playing the Z wide receiver position this week and he expects to be a part of the regular receiver rotation.

"I am going to be on the outside," McKenzie said. "The coaches moved Leonard Hankerson back to the inside because of Thearon Collier. I will be getting reps at the Z position with Khalil, Sam, and Travis Benjamin."

Though McKenzie admits he is "a little" nervous going into this game, he knows this is the moment he has been waiting for.

Though McKenzie has not yet played a game for Miami, he has already been through so much while at UM.

During summer workouts last year, a scary car accident a couple weeks prior to the beginning of fall practices derailed the possibility of McKenzie getting on the field as a freshman.

After receiving high praise from teammates and coaches after his summer workouts he expecting to compete for a starting position as soon as he was healthy. McKenzie was thought to be ready by midseason, but coaches decided it would be in his best interest to keep him out and redshirt him.

McKenzie then sustained a high ankle sprain prior to the mid-spring scrimmage at Traz Powell Stadium and that injury ended up holding him out of the spring game. Then during fall practices of this year, McKenzie sprained a ligament in his knee and he wasn't cleared to play until last week.

With all he has been through, McKenzie is just ready for his UM career to begin.

"I have no pressure on myself going into this game," McKenzie said. "The spotlight is going to be on my and I am one of those players that steps up in big games. The pressure isn't on me at all."

Prior to committing to Miami, McKenzie and quarterback Robert Marve were both committed to play at Alabama. Marve and McKenzie were said to workout together in high school during the offseason and have a special connection.

McKenzie says that he knows Marve will be ready this week for Florida State.

"Robert is the same Robert," McKenzie said. "I talked to him [Wednesday] morning and asked him how he feels going into this game and he says he is more comfortable going into this game than he has ever been his whole life. Robert has a lot of confidence in himself and doesn't put a lot of pressure on himself
 8 years ago '04        #4566
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Senior safety Lovon Ponder is now fully healthy and will return to the defense this week and should help bring stability to the UM secondary.

Ponder sustained an undisclosed injury at the beginning of the season that limited his playing time against Charleston Southern and kept him out of UM's next two games.

He was cleared to play against North Carolina, but played just on special teams.

"I am doing much better now," Ponder said. "I had an injury at the beginning of the season and right now I am 100 percent, so I am ready to go. I expect to get a lot more reps on defense this week. I stepped my game up this week in practice and the coaches now have confidence to put me in the game."

Ponder's return means he brings depth and experience back to a secondary that looked shaky at times last week in a 28-24 loss to North Carolina.

During his career at Miami Ponder has started 12 games and totaled four interceptions.

"I can bring a lot of senior leadership on the field when I am in," Ponder said. "I know I can help these young guys what is going on and even the older guys--hopefully I can give a little life back into them."

From what Ponder has seen from the sidelines and in film study, he says the biggest reason the secondary allowed big plays against North Carolina is because all of the defensive backs were caught up in the play-action pass plays.

"Our eyes have been k!lling us on a lot of things," Ponder said. "A lot of the passes we have given up it is because our eyes have been in the backfield. That is something that is easily correctable and we will fix that."

"The main reason why it happens is because guys are trying to make a play too early to get themselves going. You have to be aggressive and smart."

Ponder is regarded as one of the most aware and savvy players on Miami's roster. He always knows little details about his opponent and he talked about what he knows about FSU's receiving corps. Ponder says FSU has a very versatile group of receivers.

"We have played against Greg Carr the last three years and he is a big receiver who is always tough to cover because of his size," Ponder said. "Then they have Surrency and I heard if he came out of JUCO last year and went to the NFL, he would have been a first day draft pick. Then there is Preston Parker who is their every down guy who they give reverses to and try to get the ball in his hands a lot."

Ponder says that this year Florida State will have a different offensive look. FSU has always primarily been a passing team and this year Ponder expects a heavy emphasis on running the ball. FSU currently averages 212 yards per game and is ranked 19th in the country.

"I believe it is because they are playing two young quarterbacks and they need a lot of confidence," Ponder said. "Then they got a senior running back who has played all four years and he can take a lot of pressure off the quarterbacks. They are more of a running team now."
 8 years ago '04        #4567
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
props booie

i cant wait to see how jermaine mckenzie does.
 8 years ago '06        #4568
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,683 | Props total: 12216 12216
 madness said:
props booie

i cant wait to see how jermaine mckenzie does.
co sign cant wait to see #15 on the field
 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM         #4569
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I can't wait for this game! They better showcase AJ this game and throw some bombs to him. and we know Spence is gonna k!ll it
 8 years ago '04        #4570
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
one more day to go. props boobie
 8 years ago '04        #4571
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Freshman defensive tackle Marcus Forston will return this week against Florida State after missing the North Carolina game due to a stinger.

Forston has started one game this season for UM and totaled five tackles.

Here Forston discusses his return to the field, what the Miami-FSU rivalry means to him, and more.

How does it feel to be back and healthy this week?

"It feels good to be back. Last week I was hurting on the sidelines. My teammates were out there balling and making plays out there, so I just did whatever it took this week to show Coach Shannon that I am ready."

What was toughest part of being on the sideline?

"That was hard. I think in all my high school years I wasn't hurt. I have never been the guy who looked from the sidelines because of injuries. Being on the sideline, for one of the plays I wanted to run out on the field and be there for my team. It was a new experience for me."

What does playing in this game mean to you and how familiar are you with the rivalry?

"It feels great to play in this game. If you didn't see any other college game growing up, you saw the Miami-Florida State game. The tradition and all the greats that have played in this game on both sides of the ball. I know all the alumnae are going to be tuned in for this game."

"I always saw the games growing up."

After the North Carolina loss, a lot has been made of finishing out games. What does finishing mean to you?

"It is just working hard and giving that second effort and giving it your all when you get on the field. You can tell your teammates you gave it your all and gave 110 percent. You can't let the man down that is next to you."

So is your goal this week going to be to stop the tomahawk chop?

"Oh man, that is something that you have to stop. Once it gets going, it never stops."
 8 years ago '04        #4572
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Jacory Harris may not see much time on the field this Saturday against Florida State, but it doesn't mean he doesn't know about the rivalry between the two teams, one he grew up watching.

Regardless of being ranked or not ranked, the game is still big and it will have major implications for the Hurricanes in their chances of getting to the ACC Championship Game.

Another loss could really make it difficult for Miami. A win and they are still in the mix.

"It's going to be always a marquee game. It's two Florida teams going against each other," Harris said. "Florida State is a great team and Miami is always a great team and we have to go out there and make something happen."

One of the things that has been going on this week is the trash talk because of the relationship that many players on both teams have with each other.

"I am sure it will be (a lot of trash talking) because there's a lot of people on this team that know people at Florida state," Harris said.

But it's a big game for the 'Canes for many reasons beyond the fact that it's the 'Canes and 'Noles. It's big for the conference.

"It is an added excitement because it's Miami-Florida State. It's also an ACC game and we need to win our conference games," Harris said. "We need to beat that team right now. That's why it's such a big game."

Harris said he grew up watching highlight films on former FSU Heisman Trophy Charlie Ward.

"I remember when Charlie Ward was playing I would watch highlights of Charlie Ward and he was someone I admired. Coach Bowden has coached some great NFL players and some great college players," Harris said.

He also knows that he will have to be on his toes when he's in the game, whenever that may be.

"FSU is always known for having a good defense, on video games, internet services. They are very aggressive and very fast," Harris said. "We just basically go out there and do the basic things to win a footbal
 8 years ago '04        #4573
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Allen Bailey will get his real first taste of the Miami-Florida State rivalry tomorrow.

Sure Bailey traveled to Tallahassee and played on special teams as a true freshman last year, but this year he has the opportunity to make an impact on defense.

"It is a big rivalry game, you know?" Bailey said. "That is what you come here for. Big games like that. The intensity level goes way up compared to a regular game. We are going to give it all that we got for all 60 minutes."

This season Bailey has rotated in at defensive end and played in three games, totaling seven tackles and two tackles for loss.

Bailey missed most of Fall camp with a pectoral injury he sustained in May while lifting weights. According to Bailey, the pectoral injury is no longer an issue and he feels like he is close to being at full health.

"The pectoral isn't really a problem, the brace really helps out," Bailey said. "It will be sore every once in a while, but in games I feel fine I just don't think about it."

One area Bailey says the defensive line has worked to improve this week is creating more penetration through the offensive line and create more of a pass rush.

Miami's defensive line has totaled 3.5 sacks on the year with Eric Moncur leading the unit with two sacks. Bailey says he has seen improvement this week with a focus on rushing the passer.

"We are getting a better pass rush on third and long to help the secondary out," Bailey said. "We are finishing that and getting the defense off the field and give the defense a break."

"We are missing a lot of opportunities to get sacks. We should have all that covered this week. Personally, I need to work on that."

Bailey says this game is big not just because it is a rivalry game, but the outcome will have important implications for the ACC standings. Even though Miami lost to UNC last week, UM is still in the hunt for an ACC Championship.

"We need [a win] bad to kind of give us some intensity," Bailey said. "We need it bad so we are going to go out there and work to get it."
 8 years ago '04        #4574
Javon23 252 heat pts252
space
space
$45,087 | Props total: 6175 6175
lets go baby
beat FSU
the U bi*ches!!!!!!!
 8 years ago '04        #4575
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
McCarthy out for FSU game

Linebacker Colin McCarthy, one of the heroes of last year's win at Florida State, will not play in Saturday's game against the Seminoles according to a late announcement by the University of Miami's sports information department Friday night.

It's listed as a shoulder injury according to the report. Consider it bad news for Miami, which is already going without starting right tackle Reggie Youngblood (leg) this week. It is, however, an opportunity for freshman linebacker Sean Spence. Look for Spence to start in McCarthy's place. McCarthy ranks third on UM's defense in tackles with 18 this season. Guess it also means Spencer Adkins will see more time at linebacker, as well as true freshman Jordan Futch.
damn that sucks, C-Mac is our special teams ace

oh well, more burn for spence and futch, and hopefully arthur brown sees some time too
 10-04-2008, 01:09 AM         #4576
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That does suck for us cause McCarthy is that dude on special teams. On the other hand tho, it'll be great to see the younger guys Futch, Spence and hopefully Arthur Brown get more pt. I just hate seeing #11 covering punts and kicks instead knocking heads off between the tackles.
 8 years ago '05        #4577
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
working till noon so i can get some tailgating done..cant wait
 10-04-2008, 12:23 PM         #4578
Killa Da Don 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 8 years ago '04        #4579
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
we are making fsu's offense like if they were missouri or something ... and we making ponder look like the next coming of tebow... i'm fu*king pissed dude, this is aggravating
 8 years ago '07        #4580
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
Marve soph
cooper soph
Benjamin freshman
A.Johnson freshman
collier freshman
ojomo soph
spence freshman
harris(even though he got k!lled) freshman

looking at our teams best players, its all damn freshman and sophmores. Ive never seen a big time program lean on so many young players before and succeed...this team will be amazing in 2-3 years though gurantee it
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
221 comments
22 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Adult Entertainer That Sold Out Her Race
91 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
108 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Christina Milian Shows Damn Near EVERYTHING in a see through fit!!"
134 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside YouTube superstar PewDiePie vows to DELETE his channel once he hits 50m..
50 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 7 - Tomi craps on Rosenberg
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
76 comments
2 days ago