70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
154 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
127 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
33 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM         #4501
Cashville_09 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 P. Dedos said:
man its crazy other than our Offensive Line for the future im worried about but im sure the coaches will get the people needed

our offense is gonna be lookin sick with all the playmakers we are gonna have

i really think we have a great shot at BOTH debose and r. randle :wow:

our running back class will be sick this year with the best running back in the nation... with mike james also a beast and maybe lamar miller :wow:

then next year i really doubt clements says to NO to ICE harris... and he already said we are his favorites because all the love we showed him... adding jakhori gore too

we are gonna have playmakers all over the feild :wow: :wow: :wow:

and just look at all the true and redshirt freshman and sophmore that are making plays and playing on this team:wow: :wow: :wow:

south florida is stacked in the class of 2010

WATCH OUT NCCA WE HERE!!!!!!!!!!

OL is all I am worried about. IF Marve and Co. can score consistently this year, a bunch of OL will be running to play here. Not only would they be able to play early they would be playing with guys who will make them look good.

Randle will be a tough get. LSU wants him bad, and if we get Dubose, I cant see him coming. But I can also see him coming, with Dubose going to Florida.

This is how I see things ending up:

RB - Lamar Miller
WR - Andre DeBose
TE - Orson Charles
OL - Xavier Nixon
OL - Jared Wheeler
DE - Dyron Dye
DT - Sheldon Richardson
LB- Ray Ray Armstrong
CB - Michael Carter
CB - Jamal Reid
CB - Kayvon Webster

If our D keeps playing lights out, maybe we steal Campbell or Jelani Jenkins.

The 2010 class will be epic. A bunch of the south florida players already said they will commit (plus Mathis from Detroit). Coach Shannon said the South Florida talent in 2010 is better than the 08 class, and we already know Shannon aint letting no one take his guys. WE BACK!!!!
 8 years ago '04        #4502
booie4 
space
space
$4,880 | Props total: 609 609
OPENING STATEMENT

This week we have North Carolina and it will be our first conference game and first conference match. We are playing against I guy that I really respect as a head coach and as a person in Coach Davis. I have coached with him for years in Miami when we got Miami changed around. He is doing a wonderful job at North Carolina and getting that program going. I cannot say enough good things about him.

NEWS & NOTES

? This week North Carolina will be without their starting quarterback, but Shannon knows Coach Butch Davis will have whoever is playing ready for the game this week. "No matter who the quarterback is, knowing Coach Davis, they are always able to work with them. Here one year when we played against West Virginia we had one quarterback in the game with a separated shoulder and we won the game. He is going to do whatever it takes; field position, play great defense, play special teams and try to get some turnovers to shorten the game up and try to win in a low scoring game and keep it in the fourth quarter."

? One reason Shannon says the quarterbacks are so comfortable early in the season is because offensive coordinator Patrick Nix is coaching from the sideline. "They are very unique," Shannon said. "Me and Patrick Nix talked about that him going on the sideline and look at them face to face and talk to them. He can see them and I think that has made a big difference in the quarterbacks."

? North Carolina's defense has totaled 15 tackles for loss on the year. Shannon highlighted UNC's defensive line as being very impressive. "Defensively they are very big up front. Their defensive line is very big and very physical. That is going to be a big challenge for the offensive line this week to make sure they can compete at the next level with those guys."

? UNC WRs Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Tate have put up big numbers so far for North Carolina. Nicks has 224 yards and two touchdowns while Tate has totaled 297 yards and three touchdowns. "They have a great receiver--two receivers--who are pretty good guys that make a lot of things happen. They try to go deep on you and they are older guys that have been there before."

? Tate has also impressed Shannon with his ability on special teams. He averages 31 yards per return on kickoffs and 28 yards per punt return. "Number 87 has done a good job special teams wise. He is a good punt and kickoff return guy," Shannon said. "He makes their special teams go the way they want to go and win field position."

? The older players will probably use last year's loss to North Carolina as motivation, Shannon said. "They young guys don't know much of anything. They just go out and play football. The older guys...I think for them, they will take it more serious and knowing what is at stake and on the line."

? Shannon on why the offense improved at Texas A&M: "We worked on the mistakes that we saw in the Florida game. Every week you have to work on mistakes, but you can't go backwards. We are going to keep stressing creating turnovers and getting turnovers. On offense we are going to stress finishing because I don't think we finished very well in that game. I think we got a little lax."

? Shannon is pleased with the way the wide receivers are coming around after watching them perform well last week. "We ran some plays to let people miss him in the open field because that is what he is good at," Shannon said. "The other guys have caught the ball well. Aldarius almost broke a run against Texas A&M on a hitch pattern, so those things are starting to come."

? Shannon on the play of Glenn Cook at Texas A&M: "He played very very well," Shannon said. "He missed some tackles now, and I am not going to let Cook off the hook (smiles). He missed about two or three tackles and he knows that. One thing about Cook is that he is going to work all the time he watches more film than anybody, so he knows exactly where to go. As a university and as a staff we are excited for him to be named player of the week."

? Shannon said he will not tighten his playing rotation now that Miami is entering ACC play. "The reason why we are playing so many guys is because we are playing so many guys on special teams. Physically you can't ask, say Sam Shields, to play three special teams and then give 70 reps on special teams. That is 100 plays and nobody can do it. We have to make sure people can get some reps offensively and defensively and then help us on special teams"

? According to Shannon, Graig Cooper played "too much" last week against Texas A&M and they will try and limit his reps this week. "He played 40 plays and that is more than his normal 30 plays," Shannon said. "We have to back him down a little bit because it is not now, we have to think of the long haul."

? According to Shannon, Javarris James is still wearing a hard cast. "The doctors are going to meet with him today and probably what they are going to do this week or next week is put him in a boot for another week and then next week he will probably do some strengthening and jogging. He is probably three weeks out from what I see."

? Randy Phillips injured his leg on the first play of the game at Texas A&M, but continued to play on it because he didn't believe it was a serious injury The doctors have said Phillips is out for six weeks. "Like anything, he said it felt like a nick and I said why didn't you say anything to me and he said coach I just thought it was a nick but as time goes on it got worse and got worse," Shannon said.

? This year's group of freshmen have not given Shannon or his staff any problems off the football field. Shannon says this year's group of freshmen have a lot of leaders. Shannon says this year's class reminds him of when Ed Reed, Santana Moss, and Reggie Wayne all came in together. "As of today, we have not had one problem with any of the freshmen as far as class attendance, study hall, any of those things. I think that is attributed to our culture is starting to change around. We are excited about that and we have to continue to recruit that guys who have that type of win-win attitude."

"This is a different group. If you take all these freshmen and just look at them and look at their high school winning percentage, you will see that these guys come from places where all they know is winning."
 8 years ago '04        #4503
booie4 
space
space
Inside Carolina takes an in-depth look at Miami, as the Tar Heels prepare for Saturday's matchup with the Hurricanes in Miami Gardens (noon, ESPN).
Hurricanes Intro

Miami enters its ACC opener against North Carolina on Saturday with a 2-1 overall record. This program has never been short on talent, but the Hurricanes have struggled in recent years in getting production on the football field from that ability, including in head coach Randy Shannon's first season in 2007 as his program posted a 5-7 record.

But the Hurricanes have had better effort and efficiency in its first three ball contests of 2008, routing Charleston Southern (52-7) and Texas A&M (41-23) while putting up a better-than-expected f!ght against Florida in a 26-3 loss three weeks ago. With only 11 starters returning this fall, Shannon played 21 true freshmen in the season-opener. His defense has been stout thus far, allowing its opponents just 6.3 points and 109 yards in the first half this season.

Quotables

"They've got just a great group of wide receivers that have explosive big play capabilities and their running backs are homerun hitters." - UNC head coach Butch Davis

"We feel like we're getting on the right track. We're doing all the right things. We just have to stay healthy and keep getting better. I told these guys last night that we can't go back this week and ... slack off. We cannot say, 'Oh, well, we'll fix the problems.' We've got to hype on the little things. Keep working to get open, keep f!ghting all the time." - Miami head coach Randy Shannon

"It's never good news, whether it's high school, college or pro, when you hear that your starting quarterback is going to be out for a couple of weeks." - UNC senior linebacker Mark Paschal

Hurricane Spotlight

It was never really a question of if Robert Marve would get an opportunity to play quarterback at the BCS-level of college football. It was more of a question of when. The red-shirt freshman enrolled at Miami as the state of Florida's 2006 edition of Mr. Football, breaking Tim Tebow's records for passing yards (4,380) and touchdowns (48).

Now, with the youth movement fully underway in Coral Gables, Marve will start his third consecutive game under center for the Hurricanes. The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder earned Rookie of the Week honors last week for completing 16-of-22 passes for 212 yards and two touchdowns in Miami's victory over Texas A&M, which included his first career touchdown on a 26-yarder to Thearon Collier.

Marve also completed 10-of-18 passes for 69 yards in his first start at Florida three weeks ago.

He has shared snaps at quarterback with true freshman Jacory Harris, who started the season opener against Charleston Southern. Despite Marve's inexperience, Shannon has been pleased with his quarterback's ball protection, with only one interception for the year.

"He's not having turnovers," Shannon said. "Last year every eight throws we were making in a game we'd have an interception. We have 24 throws, we'd have three interceptions in a game. That was just the norm. This year Marve and Jacory [Harris] are doing great at just dispersing the ball; if nothing's there throwing it out of bounds. And they're using underneath guys, which is good. They're not always trying to take home run shots, but when they're open they take shots."

Matchups to Watch

UNC's Quarterbacks vs. Miami's Defense

Offensive execution against Miami's defense was going to be difficult even with T.J. Yates running the show for North Carolina. But with the red-shirt sophomore sidelined for six weeks with a fractured left ankle, back-ups Mike Paulus and Cam s3xton will have their work cut out for them on Saturday.

As of Monday afternoon, Davis had not named a starter between Paulus, a red-shirt freshman that completed 3-of-8 passes for 23 yards and two interceptions last weekend, and s3xton, a red-shirt junior that started five games in 2006, completing 57 of his 136 career attempts for 840 yards, four touchdowns and eight interceptions.

New defensive coordinator Bill Young has the Hurricanes defense operating on all cylinders, ranking in the top-35 nationally in total defense (26th - 277.7 yards per game), rushing defense (17th - 75 ypg), tackles for loss (14th - 8.0 per game) and sacks (T-33rd - 2.33 per game).

"Their defense has just been outstanding," Davis said. "They've had three great games defensively where they have just suffocated the other team."

With North Carolina's ground struggling to produce, look for the Hurricanes to utilize 2nd-and-long and 3rd-and-long opportunities to place immense pressure upon whichever quarterback is in the game. It doesn't help matters that the Tar Heels' offensive line is giving up 2.33 sacks per outing, good for 94th nationally.

But if Paulus and/or s3xton can keep their cool while facing a variety of blitzes, there is opportunity for success in the passing game. It helps having arguably the top wide receiver corps in the league with Hakeem Nicks, Brandon Tate and Brooks Foster going up against a pass defense that ranks 11th in the ACC in efficiency (134.7) and has intercepted just one pass on the season.

UNC's Run Defense vs. Miami's Graig Cooper

Miami's ground game entering this season was the offense's strength with Javarris James and Graig Cooper working together in the backfield. But when James suffered a high ankle sprain against Florida that will sideline him for at least another two weeks, the responsibility immediately shifted to his sophomore counterpart.

Despite the pressure, Cooper responded last weekend against Texas A&M, gaining a career-high 128 yards on just 16 rushing attempts, including 77 yards and two touchdowns on his first three carries.

"Graig Cooper, with the slightest poor angle or the slightest bad arm tackle, can take it to the house and he can score," Davis said on Monday.

North Carolina ranks 8th in the ACC in run defense, allowing 139.7 yards per game. The Tar Heels looked solid defending the run early against Virginia Tech last Saturday, before tiring out as the Hokies ran the ball 10 times for 63 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

With North Carolina not knowing what to expect from a new quarterback under center, it will be imperative for the defense to give itself plenty of rest on the sidelines, and that begins with stopping Cooper early in possessions and forcing Marve to throw the ball in 3rd-and-long situations.

Quick Hits

* Miami's roster includes 23 seniors, 13 of whom have already earned degrees, while the remaining 10 are scheduled to graduate either this December or next May.

* North Carolina head coach Butch Davis was head coach for six seasons at the University of Miami and led the Hurricanes to a 51-20 record, three Big East Conference championships and four postseason bowl wins in as many appearances. The Tar Heels defeated Miami last season, 33-27, in Chapel Hill.

* Davis was an a.ssistant coach for the Hurricanes during Shannon's five seasons as a player at Miami from 1984-88. When Davis returned to Coral Gables in 1995, Shannon served as his linebackers coach for three years until 1997.
* Carolina and Miami are meeting for the 12th time overall with the Tar Heels holding a narrow 6-5 advantage in the series. This is the fifth meeting between the two schools since Miami joined the ACC in 2004 and each team has won
 8 years ago '04        #4504
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Freshman wide receiver Aldarius Johnson feels like his adjustment period to the college game is about to end.

With each week of practice and each game, Johnson says he feels more and more comfortable and he feels a breakout game may be coming soon.

"After every catch I feel like I get better as the day goes on," Johnson said. "I feel like the next catch I get, I might take it to the house."

Johnson admits that the transition from high school to college has been more difficult than he expected. He says he has had to humble himself into understanding his role as a freshman and that he can't expect the seven, eight, and nine reception games he had at Northwestern High School.

On the season Johnson has totaled five receptions for 44 yards. Against Texas A&M last week he finished with three receptions for 19 yards.

"It is tough, but I am a freshman and everybody is always telling me how it is going to be as a freshman, so I am pretty used to it now," Johnson said. "My stats are going up as the games go, so I might come out this game and catch five. I just pray to God I have a good practice and a good game."

With Johnson's humble attitude toward the game now comes a better understanding of what he needs to improve this season so he can put up the numbers he is accustomed to.

"In the beginning I wanted to catch the ball, but I didn't make sure that I had the ball before I ran," Johnson said. "Now I am feeling more comfortable and I know I need to catch the ball and that is when I can make some moves happen and do what I got to do to score."

"It was real tough. I thought the same things in high school is what I was going to see now. It is faster, stronger, and people are bigger. I just have to humble myself and know what I have to do day in and day out to get better. The game is slowing down and I am getting a better control of everything. Once I do that, I think I can start flowing into it."

Part of Johnson's confidence comes from seeing fellow freshman Thearon Collier have a very good game at Texas A&M. Collier finished the game with 62 yards and one touchdown on four receptions.

"When I saw that, it encouraged me and I just tell the other freshmen, don't worry about it, everybody is going to have a chance to do what he did," Johnson said. "Just wait your turn and believe in the system."

According to Johnson, the strong performance of the passing game this past weekend also gives the coaching staff confidence. That is one of the reasons why Johnson thinks the offense will open up even more this week.

"That builds confidence in the coaches to trust in us because we didn't drop any balls and we did way better than we did at the Florida game, so it gives them confidence and they can see that we can get plays done, so I think we are going to pass the ball more this week," Johnson said.
 8 years ago '04        #4505
booie4 
space
space
Freshman quarterback Jacory Harris has become quite fond of offensive coordinator Patrick Nix.

But he used to be intimidated.

''Coach Nix, he's a cool person,'' Harris said Tuesday. ``He has opened up since the spring. Now he plays around with us in practice. In the meeting rooms he's funny.''

Why the change?

''In spring he was telling me he was surprised that I was 17 years old,'' Harris said. 'So when he was fussing at me he came to me and apologized. I was like, `What [are] you apologizing for?' ''

According to Harris, Nix replied: ' `Hell, I didn't know you were 17! And I don't like yelling at little kids.' ''

Said Harris, who will be 18 on May 12: ``That threw me off a little bit. When he stopped fussing, everything became better.''

INJURY REPORT

? Safety Randy Phillips (knee surgery) will be out at least six weeks, coach Randy Shannon said. Phillips, a senior, would be eligible to redshirt next season should he miss the entire season.

? Running back Javarris James (high ankle sprain) will be out at least another three weeks, Shannon said.

? The UM-FSU game at Dolphin Stadium on Oct. 4 will be played at 3:30 p.m. on ABC.
 8 years ago '04        #4506
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Glenn Cook's forced fumble and touchdown against Texas A&M Saturday was just a small glimpse into the type of player he is for UM.

Cook is widely known around Miami as the smartest player on defense, an astute student of the game, and a coach on the field and there may be no better example of Cook's awareness on the field than that play against Texas A&M.

Cook noticed during the game that A&M quarterback Jerrod Johnson did not hold the ball tight when he was scrambling and looking downfield at his receivers in the pocket.

So when he had a chance to knock the ball loose from Johnson during a blitz up the middle Saturday, he swiped at the ball while Johnson was going down and picked up the loose ball and ran in for a touchdown.

Only Cook would notice on that play the best option was to poke the ball out of the quarterback's hand rather than to go for the sack.

"The whole game he holds the ball out and we were getting a little bit of pressure on him so we ran a blitz there and Colin held him up and I saw it out there and I went after the ball and knocked it up. I made sure I wanted to pick it up because we were right by the end-zone."

"The defense doesn't get many opportunities to score and the linebackers are up now on touchdowns."

Cook led Miami to their first defensive touchdown of the 2008 season, but it is his leadership on the field and in the film room that have his teammates and coaches raving about his understanding of the defense and how he communicates with the young players.

Through three games this season Cook has totaled 18 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss. He earned ACC Player of the Week honors after his nine tackle and one touchdown performance at Texas A&M.

"To me he is like the Peyton Manning of our defense," linebacker coach Michael Barrow said. "The kid is a genius and he can understand anything and he is very coachable. I had a laundry list of things I wanted him to work on to get better and he took heed to it and worked extremely hard."

"Going to the same high school as him, I had heard about him," freshman Jordan Futch said. "He is the man at Chaminade. He is like a legend at Chaminade. I had heard he is one of the smartest players to ever play the game. Glenn is just a mastermind of defense and is like a coach on the field. He helps us young guys out a lot."

Cook's honors are a nice achievement for him after having to sit out last season with a foot injury. He was granted a sixth year of eligibility this year and has made the most of his opportunity this year.

"Coach Barrow has just been getting on me of setting my goals high," Cook said. "He thinks a lot of me and he has put a lot of pressure on me. We worked hard together as a group and he just says how the sky is the limit. It is something that I am finally achieving and I am happy I finally got there."
 8 years ago '04        #4507
booie4 
space
space
Detroit (MI) Cass Tech High School DT William Campbell has set up an official visit to Miami for the last week of December. He'll be taking the trip with his mother.

"I'll also take visits to LSU, USC and Michigan," Campbell said.

The former Michigan commitment says all four of the schools are even right now.

Asked why he decommitted from Michigan and is still considering the school, Campbell said, "I decommitted just to open myself back up. It's something me and my mom were talking about, thought was a good idea."

Campbell now plans to make an announcement at the Army All-American game in early January. If practice for that game interferes with his planned UM trip, he says he'll move the visit date up.

What is he looking for in a college?

"The top three things are education, getting to the next level after college and getting a ring, trying to be on a winning team," he said.

Coaches Jeff Stoutland and Clint Hurtt are recruiting Campbell to Miami.

"They talk about me coming down there to see what they have to offer," Campbell said. "I've also talked to coach (Randy) Shannon. He just let me know they're excited to be in the picture, that they can't wait for me to come visit."

Of why he included UM in his final four, Campbell said, "I like how it's away from home but it's still a nice place to go. How many people just get to go to school in Miami? And I like how their defensive line plays."

So far this season Campbell has five sacks and nine tackles for losses for his 4-0 team. He finished his junior season with 125 tackles, 46 for losses, and 13 sacks
 8 years ago '04        #4508
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES — No, Glenn Cook is not a coach.

That might not have been apparent last season when Cook, sitting out the year with a foot injury, roamed the University of Miami sideline wearing a headset and signaling in defensive plays.
UM linebacker Glenn Cook a coach in training

UM safety Phillips has leg surgery

UM more mature this year, Shannon says
Cook's contributions were deemed so valuable that coach Randy Shannon allowed the injured linebacker to accompany the team on road games even though he counted against the Hurricanes' travel roster.

Cook is back playing a vital role for UM, but this season it's as the Hurricanes' starting middle linebacker.

Awarded a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, Cook is off to the best start of his career.

On Monday, Cook was named the Atlantic Coast Conference's Defensive Linemen of the Week after registering a game-high nine tackles and forcing a fumble that he returned 2 yards for a touchdown in Miami's 41-23 rout of Texas A&M.

"That was fun," Cook said of scoring his first career touchdown.

There was little enjoyment to be had in 2007, which was supposed to be Cook's last year at UM. But the pony-tailed, 6-foot, 228-pounder dislocated three bones and tore a ligament early in fall practice and underwent season-ending surgery.

While other injured players distanced themselves as the Hurricanes struggled through a 5-7 season, Cook stuck with his teammates by going to every meeting, practice and game.

"I probably could have been home doing more free-time things," said Cook, who is working toward a master's degree in sports administration. "But I just didn't feel like that was the right thing."

After contemplating his future, Cook decided to petition the NCAA for an extra season. From 2004 to 2006, Cook played in 34 games and made 14 starts but says he didn't "accomplish much, to be honest."

Cook is making up for lost time. He's started each game and is first on the team with 18 tackles, including 21/2 tackles for loss, on a Hurricanes' unit that ranks 26th nationally in total defense.

"He is a guy we call 'Seabiscuit,' " linebackers coach Micheal Barrow said. "He has been injured just like the horse and came back and is having a tremendous season."

Just as important as the tackles and plays that Cook has made is the leadership he is providing to a group of defenders that appeared rudderless last season. When there is confusion or indecision on the field, Cook sorts things out.

"You know why Glenn is a leader?" Shannon said. "He doesn't make many mistakes. He is going to be in the right spot to make plays (and) he knows where everybody is supposed to be if they get in a bad situation."

Cook has been known as a student of the game since his days at Hollywood-Chaminade, where he began watching copious amounts of film. Cook was the rare high school player "who saw things that helped us as coaches," former Chaminade coach Mark Guandolo said.

"If he had something that he thought we should be doing, we definitely looked at it and considered it."

The Hurricane freshman linebackers can relate.

"Glenn is just a mastermind of defense and is like a coach on the field," said freshman linebacker Jordan Futch. "He helps us young guys out a lot."

Said Barrow: "To me, he is like the Peyton Manning of our defense. The kid is a genius and he can understand anything ..."

But, unlike last season, Cook isn't just contributing by teaching. He's leading by example on the field.

"It's been great," Cook said. "This is why I came back."

Noteworthy: Safety Randy Phillips, a former Glades Central standout, will miss six weeks after undergoing knee surgery Monday, Shannon said.

Last edited by booie4; 09-24-2008 at 08:24 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #4509
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES - His memory is a little fuzzy when it comes to when the last time the teams met.

University of Miami linebacker Colin McCarthy left last year's game at North Carolina in the first quarter with a concussion.

That's not to say the 33-27 loss was anything but memorable, but it did mark the beginning of the season going downhill. The Hurricanes can be expected to look for some revenge when the teams play Saturday at Dolphin Stadium.

"We're looking forward to getting on the field on Saturday and kind of get some payback," McCarthy said. "It was a disappointing loss."

The Hurricanes entered that game with the most momentum they had all of last season. They were 4-1, on a three-game winning streak, and coming off an upset of Texas A&M. Another win, and they were expected to make an appearance in the Top 25.

And then the North Carolina game happened.

"I think we went into the game thinking that we were going to win," McCarthy said. "It got away from us and we weren't able to get back into it."

UM trailed 27-0 at the half before making things interesting late. Still, the Hurricanes never recovered from the defeat. They lost five of the final six games on their way to a 5-7 season.

"North Carolina embarrassed us last year," guard A.J. Trump said. "We're trying to come back and get an ACC win and kind of avenge that loss."

Coach Randy Shannon is most concerned with the younger players, mainly the freshmen, knowing the importance of the game.

They weren't around last year to experience the disappointment in the locker room or to see how the loss affected the season.

"With this team, the young guys don't know," Shannon said. "They don't know much of anything. … The older guys will probably be more like, 'Hey, we had an opportunity last year. We didn't do what we were supposed to do.' I think for them they'll take it more serious of knowing what's at stake, what's on the line."'

Aside from vindication, the Hurricanes are also looking to make a fast start in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

This is their conference opener, and the first chance to show they are better than being predicted to finish third in the Coastal Division.

"We want to win this game," linebacker Glenn Cook said. "[North Carolina has] played us really hard the last couple of three or four seasons. We just want to go in and set the tone for the ACC. I wouldn't call it redemption, it's pretty much setting the tone for ACC play."

Phillips out
Shannon said safety Randy Phillips will miss at least six weeks after having leg surgery Monday. Phillips started against Texas A&M, and is one of the team's most experienced defensive backs … For the second consecutive week, the Hurricanes are unaware of which quarterback they are facing. North Carolina will be without starter T.J. Yates, who suffered a fractured foot last week against Virginia Tech. The Tar Heels will start either Mike Paulus or Cameron s3xton. Last week, Texas A&M made a game-time decision to start Jerrod Johnson over Stephen McGee.
 8 years ago '06        #4510
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
booie >>>>>>>>>
 8 years ago '06        #4511
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
new commit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got jamal reid folks!!!

:applause::applause::applause:
 8 years ago '05        #4512
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 P. Dedos said:
new commit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got jamal reid folks!!!

:applause::applause::applause:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to P. Dedos again.

I was just reading a thread on Canestime about him.
 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM         #4513
Cashville_09 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude is a beast. Webster and Carter will be next.

Mcgee, Webster, and Reid are just freaks though. DVD better step up cause soon he'll be buried on the bench.

Real talk Shannon is a monster. We getting who we want, and we have YET to win. Once we start winning (which we are doing now), it's a wrap.
 8 years ago '04        #4514
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Quarterback Jacory Harris found out real quick against Texas A&M that he as a backup quarterback he must be ready to enter the game at all times.

Read here to see what Harris is saying about his experience at Texas A&M, what he is saying about the type of attitude this year's freshman class brings and more.

What type of difference does having Coach Nix on the field make for you during a game?

"It gives you a sense of letting you know that your coaches are there with you and you can see expressions and you know if you are doing good or not. When you are on the field or off the field you can learn from just looking at him and determine how you are doing by how he reacts to different things as the game goes."

Is it easier for him too than being back up in the box

"Yes it is because that way you can have somebody to relate to that is not a player and you can just talk to him about anything that happens. With me, I just ask what plays he called and things like that and what is going on on the field."

What is Coach Nix's personality like?

"Coach Nix, he is a cool person. Right now I feel like he has opened up since the spring. Now he plays around with us in practice and we joke around in the meeting rooms. He is funny and a cool personality person."

Do you think Coach Nix is relaxed more because of the way the quarterbacks have played?

"I think so because I remember in the spring he was telling me that he was surprised that I was 17 years old, so when he was fussing at me he came to me and apologized. I asked him what he was apologizing for and he said he didn't know I was 17 and he doesn't like yelling at little kids (laughs). That kind of threw me off a little bit and everything became better.

Can you talk about the receivers and how they stepped up last week at Texas A&M?

"The receivers are doing the same things that they are doing in practice. I guess it showed more in the Texas A&M game. They came out there and performed well and did everything that the coaches asked them to do and that is why they had such a good game."

Are you getting more comfortable with your role of coming into the game off the bench?

"I am starting to get more comfortable with it. At first I was kind of like, dang will I ever have a chance to really get into a groove or will I make one mistake and not get a chance to showcase my skills again, but now I am realizing that it is best for the team and whatever the team needs, I am a team player so I am doing what is best for the team."

Are you nervous when you get in the game now? How do you deal with that?

"This is week was actually my first time being nervous because Marve got knocked out in the game and I saw him about to get up and then I was like oh crap I am going to have to get in. So then I ran onto the field and my mind wasn't really on actually being in the game and I was kind of nervous going onto the field at that time, but we got a field goal out of it."

In a way though does that really prove that you have to be mentally ready to enter the game at all times?

"Yes, that does prove it. I wouldn't say I wasn't mentally ready, but at that point in time I didn't expect that to happen and I was just like dang where my helmet at? Then I had to find my helmet and I had to run onto the field. I did some good things on that drive though, so I guess it came out alright."

Coach Shannon talked about how impressed he is with this freshmen class. Would you say there is a leader among the freshmen who kind of stays on top of everyone and makes sure the right things are being done?

"With the freshmen in this class, we don't really need a leader because all of them do their job. They come in to study hall on time and they go to classes and you don't really have to worry about them too much academically because they all came in with high standards and wanting to play football. They all know that if they want to play football they have to be academically eligible and that is something they understand."

Is there one guy who stands out as a leader of the freshmen?

"I really can't say. I love this class and we are all outgoing people and we all speak up. It is not just one person. Everybody is on task and everybody knows what the main goal is and that is for us to graduate with our degree and win National Championships."
 8 years ago '04        #4515
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Linebacker Colin McCarthy is known for manning the defense.

But Saturday against Texas A&M the play that got everyone on the team riled up was when McCarthy was on punt return.

Travis Benjamin brought down a punt, reversed field and there was McCarthy decleating a Texas A&M player with a hit that had the bench jumping out and down. More importantly, it sprung a great punt return for Benjamin.

"The guy on the outside was right there and I gave a shot to him. It was a legal hit, sprung Travis loose for another 30 yards. Special Teams are a great momentum changer in the game and it helped us out," McCarthy said. "It looked nice. We all take pride in Special Teams."

Special Teams are head coach Randy Shannon's baby so many starters find themselves on the field during Special Teams at some point.

"I think that all linebackers take a role in that in Special Teams. That's an emphasis as far as coach Shannon. When I am out there I am just trying to make plays for my teammates," McCarthy said. "I try to get my k!ll shots in for sure. I mean as far as being able to make plays for Coop or Travis, we get as much pleasure as putting guys in the trunk as coach barrow would say."

Now, McCarthy is looking forward to facing North Carolina this Saturday. McCarthy missed most of Miami's 33-27 loss to UNC in Chapel Hill last year so he's looking for some revenge.

'We are looking to getting on the field Saturday and get pay back. I got knocked out in the first quarter last year. I am anxious to get on the field and prove we can get a win," McCarthy said. "I think we went in thinking we were going to win, but it got away from us. We are going to emphasize and starting fast and finishing. If we do that at home we'll have no problem."

One of the biggest differences against Texas A&M was turnovers and it resulted in 14 points for Miami.

"We stress forcing turnovers all the time and for Glenn (Cook) to make a play like that, get to the QB and get the ball lose and score," McCarthy said.

McCarthy says the team's overall goal is simple.

"Our main goal now is to take each game step-by-step in the ACC. It's great to be in our kind of environment. Our main goal is to win the ACC championship. We're excited and we expect to win."
 8 years ago '04        #4516
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- A source confirmed to InsideTheU.com that senior safety Randy Phillips and sophomore running back will likely redshirt this season.

Phillips was injured on the first play of the game against Texas A&M last Saturday and had surgery on Monday. He has been listed out for six weeks, but any setback in his rehabilitation could see him miss the entire season which would make him eligible for a medical redshirt.

Phillips has not taken a redshirt before so the likelihood of being granted a medical redshirt is more than reasonable since he had only played two games this season. The maximum amount of games that a medical redshirt can play in is three. After being suspended for the Charleston Southern game, Phillips played against Florida before suffering his injury against Texas A&M.

Another question that has yet to be answered is the status of Damien Berry.

Following Wednesday's practice, coach Randy Shannon said Berry has been doing "great" this fall when asked how he was doing.

However, Berry--like Phillips--was also suspended for the opener against Charleston Southern. The sophomore was the team's best special teams player last year, especially on kick coverage an area the 'Canes have struggled in this year through three games.

He changed positions following the Spring moving from safety to running back to provide more depth at the position, particularly in terms of providing a big running back in the event that Javarris James went down again with an injury.

James is expected to be out until the 'Canes play Central Florida, but still there's been no sighting of Berry on the field.

According to our source, Berry has had a tough time picking up the offense and will likely redshirt this season as well.

Why not play him on special teams?

The source said the staff feels he's too good to blow another year of eligibility on him simply running up and down the field on kick coverage after he did that his entire freshman season.
 8 years ago '04        #4517
booie4 
space
space
Mayo (FL) Lafayette High School CB Jamal Reid didn't want to risk his scholarship at Miami going to another player.

So he committed on Thursday.

"I did it 15 minutes ago," Reid said. "I talked to coach Hurtt, told him I wanted to be a Hurricane. He was surprised, shocked. He was very happy. He told me `Welcome to the Hurricane family.'

"I wanted to be a Hurricane, so I didn't want to wait any longer. I knew in my heart I was a Hurricane, so I made the decision. I was worried they were going to get another commitment and wouldn't have room for me - he told me they're taking four defensive backs, so I wanted to be (in the class)."

Reid also gave serious consideration to Clemson, South Florida and Maryland. He has 18 scholarship offers in all.

"I wanted Miami over all of them," Reid said. "I'll take my official visit after the season. (Hurtt) said that's when they can show me love."

Reid has never visited Miami before. He says Cane coaches simply won him over sight unseen.

"I know Miami's a good football program, good school," Reid said. "They have a young defense, young offense, and me coming in to compete for a starting job, I can get early time at defensive back. The coaches wrote me handwritten letters telling me how much they wanted me, showing me love. Miami needs DB's. That was important to me and my family."

Reid says Hurtt asked him about committing two weeks ago, but Reid wanted to make sure he was ready before giving his word.

"I wanted to talk to my parents," Reid said. "I wanted to be sure in my mind that I wanted to be a Hurricane. And I'm sure.

"My mom's a Hurricane fan, so she was recruiting me. When I committed she was very proud of me."

Reid says the decision "is 100 percent done in my mind." He says he was planning to take an official visit to Oregon "but I might cancel."

Reid's team currently has a 3-0 record, and he has 400 receiving yard and seven scores on offense. Teams haven't challenged him much on defense and he has 20 tackles with no interceptions.
 8 years ago '06        #4518
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Dwyer’s Christian Has Leaders?

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound monster has official offers from FIU, Boston College, Georgia, Rutgers, West Virginia and recently added South Carolina. However, it’s two schools that have yet to offer that Christian has at the top of his list.

“I kind of like Miami and Florida the most right now, but I’m keeping my options open though.”

Christian along with teammates Matt Elam and Robert Clark made the trip to Gainesville for the Canes and Gators game last week. The trio toured the Gator’s facility and got a chance to go onto the field.

“I like that game. It was real crazy, it was exciting,” said Christian.

Last week Christian spoke on the phone with Miami tight end coach Joe Pannuzio.

“He told me that he really liked me and that they were going to be looking out for me. I’m a good person for their program.”

Christian is definitely impressed by the Hurricanes.

“I want them to offer me. I think they would be a serious contender. I’ve been looking at Florida a lot too, but I like Miami a lot cause I know they have a lot of tight ends come from their program that have made it to the league.

Christian’s thoughts on both schools leads us to believe whichever program, Florida or Miami, offers first will have the early lead to ink Christian come February 2010. Christian does want one thing from the school he chooses for sure.

“I want somebody that is going to give me a better chance of going to the league.”
hes a beast man this guy is the real deal ... def Tight End U material:applause:
 8 years ago '04        #4519
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
i heard damian berry might redshirt, which i guess is better than letting his talent waste on the bench. i still think he ends up back at safety, especially with all the running backs coming.

and we better watch out for NC....even without their QB, butch will have them ready on gameday.
 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM         #4520
Cashville_09 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
SCUST

cant cover, cant tackle, cant do anything on D. The D looked good against the gators but it has been horrible ever since. We have no one at corner, Johnson, Armour, DVD, Harris, they all suck, they all got beat. The dline cant get no pressure as well.

Nix sucks, period. He coaches scared. Marve is a star, let him do his thing. How you gonna run a QB draw on 3rd down? Absolutely amazing.

Shannon needs to stop being a bi*ch and let Marve play all game. JH got beat, he needs to understand that. He's a backup QB, sit the fu*k down.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
22 hours ago