most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Keep it 100: Would you jump in this 3some
36 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA Steve Kerr response to why Klay Thompson didn't play in fourth
30 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #4381
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 P. Dedos said:
ooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

:applause::applause:

PLUS the top cornerback dior mathis outta michigan/nation said he should be commiting soon... he already has verball offers from florida, michigan, ohio state and USC:dancingcool:

2010 is already lookin like a beast class in south florida and looks like we already got 3 commits outta way... this class is gonna be special too... maybe even more than 2008 :applause:

we gonna be too strong
5-8 160? gonna have to put on at least 20 pounds, but his speed is impressive and they say he's the real deal

that's why i'm not too worried when everyone says we need to beat florida this weekend to impress recruits, kids will always wanna go to the U regardless if we win or lose.

Last edited by madness; 09-02-2008 at 02:17 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #4382
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,671 | Props total: 12186 12186
 madness said:
5-8 160? gonna have to put on at least 20 pounds, but his speed is impressive and they say he's the real deal

that's why i'm not too worried when everyone says we need to beat florida this weekend to impress recruits, kids will always wanna go to the U regardless if we win or lose.
remember the kid is still 15/16... im sure he will grow an inch or two and those 20 pounds will come......

agree with you famo... dosent matter what happens :dancingcool::dancingcool::dancingcool:

but can u imagine if we had a 9 win season or BCS bowl season???? i guarantee we get anybody who we are in the running for with ease!! :agreement6:
 8 years ago '05        #4383
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
i am gonna be pissed as hell if this stupid hurricane hannah cancels sats game
 8 years ago '04        #4384
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
i am gonna be pissed as hell if this stupid hurricane hannah cancels sats game
wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, if anything it'll give miami an advantage because by then all the young guys will have almost a season's worth of experience under their belts and we'll have established an identity as a team

remember back in 98 when it was a rebuilding year and we were supposed to play a national-title contending UCLA team in september and the game was cancelled due to a hurricane threats so they rescheduled it to december and we pulled off the shocking upset? i dont thing there's anyway that wouldve happened if the game was in september

now if youre talkin from a personal standpoint like you were going to the game and asked for time off work i guess that would suck
 8 years ago '04        #4385
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 594 594
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Randy Shannon and the Miami Hurricanes are looking for a big upset over the fifth-ranked Florida Gators in Gainesville on Saturday.

The two schools are facing each other for the first time since the 2004 Peach Bowl when Miami defeated Florida 27-10.

Miami has won the last six contests between the two schools dating back to 1986. The Hurricanes were the higher ranked team in all six contests.

Miami is coming off a 52-7 victory over Charleston Southern in the season opener last Thursday in front of over 48,000 at Dolphin Stadium.

Freshman quarterback Jacory Harris threw for 190 yards and had two touchdowns (one rushing) while taking over for Robert Marve, who was suspended for the opener.

Marve will start against the Gators, but Harris is expected to play while Cannon Smith a.ssumes the No. 3 role.

Shannon addressed the media on Tuesday morning in his weekly pre-game press conference.

SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

"We have the University of Florida Gators this week for an eight o'clock ESPN game. It should be an exciting game. It is going to be a great opportunity for this university to see where we are at as a program. We had a bunch of young guys who did great last week, but now we are going to an opponent that is ranked in the top five with a Heisman Trophy candidate and they have another candidate from last year in Percy Harvin. This is our opportunity to go out and see where we are at as a football team because we are inexperienced, but we feel like we have a team that is a lot better than last year."

NEWS & NOTES

? One of the biggest keys in the game against the Gators is the effectiveness of Miami's running back tandem--Javarris James and Graig Cooper--to control the clock and ease the pressure off of quarterback Robert Marve. James and Cooper only had 16 carries between them in the opener and come into the game fresh, which is something Shannon paid close attention to throughout fall camp.

"Our strength, everybody knows, is our offensive line and our running backs and tight ends," Shannon said. "Don't try to make the home run all the time. Just give what they give you. We just have to be patient with what we have in the run game."

? Quarterback Robert Marve will make the first start of his UM career this week at Florida. Shannon's advice to Marve about playing in The Swamp in his first game: "Just be yourself. Just get the ball to the guys that make plays. You don't have to make the play. He will do a fine job for us."

"There is nothing like going to a stadium and playing. Once you get in the stadium and after the first series for both teams, that is when the nerves are going to calm down."

? Another big key for the Hurricanes is how well the secondary will be able to match the speed of the Gators on the outside. Florida has three elite speed threats in Percy Harvin, Chris Rainey, and Deonte Thompson that the secondary will have to pay close attention to and not to mention Jeff Demps. CB Bruce Johnson has always been considered one of the fastest players at Miami and he will be a key as UM's starting safeties--Anthony Redd*ck and JoJo Nicolas--aren't known for having great speed.

? DEs Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey "will definitely play" this week after missing last week with injuries. Shannon said the two will play 20-25 plays against Florida.

? QB Jacory Harris will play in the first and second half according to Shannon. Shannon didn't say when Harris will enter the game, but it did say it could be a variety of circumstances including the 2-minute drill or during the first few series of the game.

? Shannon on going up against Tim Tebow: "I don't think you control him. You have to understand what they are doing on offense. They do a great job of running the football with him. If they are going to be able to establish the running game and the big plays come off when they run the play action. He'll stick his nose in there and head back out and throw the ball deep."

? According to Coach Shannon, the players aren't excited about playing in the UM-Florida game this week because of the old rivalry. Shannon says for his players it is more about going up against players they played with and against in high school. "You are playing against guys that you have played with," Shannon said. "Guys have played against guys from the Florida area. It is more that than anything. Guys get boosts by playing teammates."

? QB Jacory Harris and LB Spencer Adkins earned ACC Player of the Week honors as Harris was awarded the ACC Rookie of the Week after completing 16-of-26 passes for 190 yards and one touchdown. He also ran for another. Adkins, a senior, recorded a career-high two sacks as he earned Co-Defensive Lineman of the Week honors.

? QB Jacory Harris (Offense), LB Glenn Cook (Defense), and Graig Cooper (Special Teams) were named players of the game against Charleston Southern by the coaching staff.

? SEC officials will be calling the game, which is a bit different as home teams usually don't get their conference to official non-conference games. "Officials are officials to me," Shannon said. "They are human and they will make mistakes."

? Coach Shannon on if the Canes will be able to keep up with the Gators speed: "I don't know, they have the fastest 4x100 team in the country. All of them guys are track guys. It's going to be hard for us and difficult for us. They are fast. We are going to have to try to press them."

? One reason Shannon feels like his team is already better than last year is because of his team's overall health and how that translates into depth. "This is probably the first time that we have been healthy since I have been a head coach at the University of Miami. Last year in the second and third game of the season, we were trying to dress 50 guys. Now we are able to dress and pick and choose who we want to travel."

? Three current Hurricanes played against the Gators in the 2004 Peach Bowl including: LBs Glenn Cook and Romeo Davis and S Anthony Redd*ck. Redd*ck started and recorded seven tackles while Cook (two tackles) and Davis (four tackles) played in reserve roles.

? Twenty true freshmen saw action in the season opener, which was a bit of a surprise considering only a few could still redshirt. The only true freshmen who did not see action were QB Taylor Cook, WR Tommy Streeter (out for season), OL Ben Jones (injured), LB Brandon Marti, S C.J. Holton, S Ramon Buchanan, and K Jake Wieclaw. Shannon says he expects to play as many true freshmen against Florida this week.

According to Shannon, the young players performed better than he expected. The receiving corps only had two busts in the Charleston Southern game, while the defensive linemen had just one bust.

? The team will practice at 6:30 a.m. on Thursdays this season after practicing at 3:30 p.m. in the past several years.
 8 years ago '04        #4386
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Robert Marve era has begun.

Finally.

Marve served a one-game suspension in the season opener after his incident in Coconut Grove last October.

Now, Marve will get his first collegiate action--and his first start--in Gainesville on Saturday against the fifth-ranked Florida Gators.

"I am very excited. It don't matter who the opponent is this week," Marve said. "I am very excited to get back on the field and being able to play. I can't wait until Saturday comes."

Marve, a redshirt freshman, watched Miami's 52-7 season-opening win over Charleston Southern from the sidelines as freshman Jacory Harris was solid as he threw for 190 yards and a touchdown.

Coach Randy Shannon announced prior to the opener that Marve, who won the starting job over Harris a week before the game, would start against Florida regardless of how Harris performed.

"He will play in the first half and in the second half," said Shannon, during Tuesday's press conference.

Marve's counterpart, Gators Heisman Trophy star quarterback Tim Tebow, were the state's Mr. Football Award winners in back-to-back years. Tebow set state passing yardage and touchdown marks as a senior at Nease in 2005, which were broke by Marve the following season. The two have spoken a couple times when Marve was in high school.

"I was really look up to him," Marve said. "He is a great player and he's done great in college. You can't take anything away from him. He was a great high school player and now he's doing the same things at Florida."

Marve is looking to lead the Hurricanes back to the top of the college football ranks after going 12-13 in the past two seasons.

"I know how great it can be to be on the upside of a program that has been down for a second," said Marve drawing similarities to his school program. "I'll do everything I can to prepare and help us get where we need to be."

The "Marve Era" begins on Saturday.

The Drive

Marve's last game action came on December 9, 2006 in the Class 4A state championship game at Dolphin Stadium.

Trailing 21-17, Marve guided his Plant squad down the field and threw a game-winning 5-yard touchdown pass to Derek Winter with 17 seconds left. It capped a remarkable performance as he threw for 276 yards and three touchdowns.

"My high school coach and I were talking and he said that was the last pass I threw and it was a touchdown to win the state championship," Marve said. "It was down here in Miami, which is another great things for me. Looking back at state, it was great."

During his senior year at Plant, Marve threw for 4,380 yards, 48 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions and was named Mr. Football.

It was just two weeks until fall practices began at Miami, where Marve was expected to receive playing time as a true freshman after starring in 7-on-7 summer workouts. He, along with teammates Jermaine McKenzie and Colin McCarthy, got into a car accident after McKenzie fell asleep at the wheel. Both Marve and McKenzie suffered season-ending injuries and both were relegated to scout team duties.

While on the scout team, Marve was named the Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year.

"The extra season helped me more off the field than on the field to make me feel comfortable," Marve said. "When I feel comfortable, then I can play to the best of my ability. I felt really comfortable and now, the guys are the guys now and everyone is real cool. You are just playing football with your friends."

Marve and McKenzie

Marve, Florida's Mr. Football in 2006 out of Tampa Plant, originally verbally committed to the University of Alabama along with McKenzie, a star at nearby Bradenton Academy.

After Alabama fired head coach Mike Shula, McKenzie decided to look elsewhere and committed to Miami. McKenzie then swayed Marve to Miami after quarterback Nick Fanuzzi de-committed from Miami and coincidently picked Alabama.

The Marve-for-Fanuzzi swap will be one to follow in years to come. Fanuzzi played in one game last season for Alabama, but did not attempt a pass and recently has transferred to Rice.

McKenzie and Marve met in the summer of 2006 and have continued their close relationship as the two are both looking to have breakout seasons after the car accident prevented them from playing last year.

"He's a real competitive dude," McKenzie said. "He reminds me of Ken Dorsey. He thinks that he can't be stopped, which is a good thing."

Improved Quarterback Play

Coach Shannon is hopeful that Marve, along with Harris, can be a more productive duo that Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman were last season as they combined to throw for 2,003 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 20 interceptions.

Wright, who went 18-12 as a starter at UM, never lived up to the hype coming out of high school in Northern California in 2003.

Whether it was the four offensive coordinators he had, the lack of big-time playmakers at receiver, his confidence level, or his feel for the game--fans are hoping Marve resembles some of the past UM great quarterbacks.

"The way that I am going to be satisfied with myself is going out there, working hard, and play the best ball Robert Marve can play," Marve said. "I have got to be the best leader I can be to help this team win."
 8 years ago '04        #4387
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami practiced in full pads on Tuesday in preparation for the Florida game this Saturday.

SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

"We practiced for Florida and things went well today. The scout team did a great job of giving us looks. They flew around and had a lot of excitement today. They executed what we need to get done, but we are still not ready for the game right now."

NEWS & NOTES

? No matter how good his scout team performs this week in preparing the team for Florida, Shannon says there are some things about Florida which just can't be emulated.

"All you can do is get them in situations where you do the running plays and guys have to get in position to make a play," Shannon said. "You can't emulate a left-handed quarterback or their receivers. All you can do is emulate the routes. It is game time when guys will have to get used to the speed."

? Coach Randy Shannon said that he believes due to a new NCAA rule that the Florida-Miami game would have to be played this Saturday, or it wouldn't be played this year.

"The one thing about the NCAA is that no matter what, you are going to play the game," Shannon said. "They don't reschedule games anymore because of Hurricanes. You have to move the location and play or that is it and you move on to the next game."

? Scout team notables were as follows: QB Taylor Cook (emulating Tim Tebow), RB Damien Berry (Chris Rainey), RB Lee Chambers (Jeff Demps), RB Shawnbrey McNeal (Brandon Jacobs), and WR Jermaine McKenzie (Percy Harvin).

? Other players on scout team are: TE Daniel Adderley, OL Tyler Horn, DE Marcus Robinson, DE Gavin Hardin, DT Jeremy Lewis, LB Kylan Robinson, LB Jordan Futch, S Lovon Ponder, S Jared Campbell, S C.J. Holton, and S Ramon Buchanan.

? The defensive line features a number of young players, which senior safety Anthony Redd*ck has seen a difference in this year's unit than last year's. "Not more talent, but more determined to get the job done," Redd*ck said.

? S Anthony Redd*ck says he feels 100 percent after suffering missing the 2007 campaign and playing just one game in 2006 due to two knee injuries.

? Freshman LB Sean played in the base defense against Charleston Southern and did a nice job in finding the ball. "He reminds me of myself a little bit," Redd*ck said. "He flies around and gets to the ball. That's his motto. Wherever the ball is, that's where I think you'll find Sean Spence."

? LB Glenn Cook says a number of former Canes have begun calling. "They have already been talking to us," Cook said. "If you name them, it has been there. Some of the guys from last year like Kenny Phillips and Jon Beason has called me. It is a big game."

? OL Orlando Franklin and DT Antonio Dixon were jawing at one another at the beginning of practice.

? Practice resumes Wednesday afternoon.
 8 years ago '04        #4388
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,796 | Props total: 1400 1400
3 days !!! 3 fu*kin Days !!!
 8 years ago '05        #4389
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
canes - gators talk from 8pm-10pm on 790theticket.com

sh*t is amping me up
 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM         #4390
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LETS GET IT
 8 years ago '08        #4391
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,015 | Props total: 166 166
Will ya`ll do me a favor and beat the SH*T outta Florida? I`m so tired of everybody overrating those pathetic bastards... I`m not even a UM fan, but that sh*t that Murphy said....:disdain2:
 8 years ago '04        #4392
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Linebacker Glenn Cook knows what it is like to play in the in a Florida-Miami game.

Cook played in the Peach Bowl as a reserve in 2004, making two tackles.

According to Cook, the Florida game was the most intense game he has played in as a Hurricane.

"It is intense," Cook said. "It is probably the most intense game that we have played as far as intensity and a lot of trash talking. We didn't want to lose. They said a couple of things the whole time we were there and it is going to be a lot of fun this Saturday."

As the middle linebacker of the defense, Cook will play an important role as the quarterback of the defense. He will have the tough task of reading and going against Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and will try to contain him.

"He just make plays," Cook said. "That is basically what he does. It might not look pretty, but he is a playmaker and he is going to get the ball in the right people's hands. He takes advantage of mistakes and he really picks defenses apart. You can't mess up a lot, so you have to be real sound against the offense."

"We have to give [Tebow] different looks. We have to make him try and read the defense a little more and keep him in the pocket."

Because Florida's spread offense creates many favorable match-ups in space, Cook says an important key during the game this week will be making sound one-on-one tackles in the open field.

During their season opener against Hawaii last week, Florida had four plays of 30 yards or more--three of those plays resulted in touchdowns.

"They just take advantage of mistakes," Cook said. "Every little mistake you make, they are not going to let that pass. They like a lot of home run plays. You don't really see too many long drives out of them. That will be the key this week, stopping the big play."

"There will be a lot more open field tackling. There is a lot more one-on-one coverages with the way that they spread you out. It is going to be important to get them on the ground and make that play."

Cook understands that if the defense can't wrap up and make those tough one-on-one tackles, it could turn into big plays by the Florida offense. Florida particularly took advantage of those mistakes with their explosive running game. Freshmen Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey combined for 134 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries.

"If you make mistakes, the will get you for a big play," Cook said. "Not just ten yards, they can take it to the house. We have to key on not giving up big plays. We talk all week about stopping the big play and if we do that, we should have a little bit of success against them."
 8 years ago '04        #4393
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami center Xavier Shannon knows that the offensive line must dominate this week for the UM offense to be productive.

Miami's running backs, Graig Cooper and Javarris James, need to have a big game this week against Florida and that starts up front with the offensive line.

"With our offensive line, we feel like we can dominate anyone in the country," Shannon said. "That is what we plan on doing the entire year. We are going to put the burden on ourselves for the entire team."

"We plan on doing better than we did last week. We left a lot of points on the field [last week]. This week we need to score as many points as possible. We want to come in here and make a statement."

Shannon is so confident in the running game going into the game this week, that he says Florida better be away of Miami's offensive backfield. He will have the tough task of going up against Florida defensive tackle Lawrence Marsh, who totaled three tackles and two sacks last week against Hawaii.

"We have weapons on our offense too. We have number two (Graig Cooper) and number five (Javarris James) in our backfield and they are the best pair of running backs in the country. That is what Florida has to worry about."

"With two and five, I feel like anything is possible."

This week redshirt freshman quarterback Robert Marve will be making his first collegiate start. Shannon's advice to Marve going into the start at the hostile Ben Hill Griffin Stadium?

"Just play football," Shannon said. "This is the same game that you have been playing your whole life. There is no pressure on you because you have ten other people around you who is going to help you."

"I expect Marve to do great things. Last week, the same was said about Jacory and taking his first snap in college. Jacory played very well and Marve is going to do the same thing."

Going into this week's game Miami has won six straight games dating back to 1986. Shannon says he is very aware of Miami's current win streak against the Gators and it is important to him to keep it going.

"We want to keep it going," Shannon said. "We want to make it 0-7 for them and the next time we play the Gators, we want them to worry about going 0-8."

"We need to show that the University of Miami still runs the state of Florida."
 8 years ago '04        #4394
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami offensive lineman Jason Fox takes a lot of pride in the school he plays for, the teammates he plays with, and the Hurricane community he represents.

The 'U' symbolizes all that Fox loves about The University of Miami.

So when he had a chance to respond to the comments Florida wide receiver Louis Murphy made about Florida being the real 'U' Fox wanted to take the higher road, but he couldn't hide how agitated he is by the comments.

"They can talk whatever they want," Fox sad. "They can say whatever they want and try to fuel the media and try to get whatever they are trying to do, but they are going to look pretty dumb when they come out and we stick it to them."

"We are going to talk with our helmets when we go out there Saturday and we are going to shut them up quick."

Fox, who has started 24 games during his UM career, is no stranger to big games. He's played in games at Florida State, at Virginia Tech, and at Oklahoma, but he says this is the most emotional he has seen his team going into a game.

"All of us are fired up," Fox said. "That is the reason we came to Miami, to play in big games like this. You don't shy away from games like this. That just fires everybody up. Everybody is pumped in the locker room and the attitude on this team, we have always been fired up, but for this week everybody is more emotional and everybody can't wait."

Going into this week, the primary objective for the offensive line is to open holes for the running game early. If Miami establishes a running game early, that will open up the passing game later and allow freshman quarterback Robert Marve to ease into the game.

"That is our goal every week, to pound [the defense]," Fox said. "That is definitely one of our major concerns this week, lining up and wearing them out. That is one thing Stoutland is stressing and we are even stressing to ourselves. We are holding each other accountable and we have met just as a group to watch extra film on these guys. We are going to be ready to play. We have to be."

"That is going to help out everybody. If we can run the ball up front, that is going to open up a lot of things. It is going to allow the running backs to make plays, it is going to allow the receivers to make plays, and it just opens up the floodgates a little bit. If we are going to be successful, we are going to need to be able to pound the ball."

Fox says he isn't concerned at all about Marve starting his first career game at Florida. According to Fox, Marve is a gamer and will be ready to play.

"Robert, we have all the faith in him. As an offensive line, we are going to have to protect him so we can make plays," Fox said. "We have all the confidence in the world no matter where we are playing. I know he will play well."

"He is definitely a fired up guy. He likes jumping around and he likes getting players fired up. He is not going to back away because it is a big game. He is going to step up to the plate and play well."

The main reason why Fox is confident about this weeks game? He knows everybody is counting the Hurricanes out this week and that is when Miami plays their best football.

"Not a lot of people are giving us a chance right now and that kind of fires everybody up. People are going to go out there flying around full speed, so it is going to be hard for anybody to stop that."
 8 years ago '04        #4395
booie4 
space
space
Miami Offense vs. Florida Defense

Miami's quarterback situation can't get much worse than it was a year ago, when Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman combined to throw 20 interceptions to 16 touchdowns and the passing attack ranked 108th nationally. Enter redshirt freshman Robert Marve, who is making his first collegiate start Saturday in The Swamp, at night and on national television. Marve is a talented signal-caller with adequate size, a strong arm and above-average mobility, but his inexperience in pressure-cooker scenarios is an obvious concern.

Making matters worse is the fact that Miami's wide receiver corps is a work in progress. Leonard Hankerson and Khalil Jones combined for 78 yards on seven receptions all of last season, and neither is a huge vertical threat. Sam Shields was supposed to emerge as the playmaker of the group, but he currently is listed as the fourth receiver on the depth chart. The most dangerous pass-catcher of the group is freshman Aldarius Johnson, who will get his chance to shine as the third option Saturday.

On paper, this looks like a favorable matchup for the much-improved Florida secondary. CBs Joe Haden and Wondy Pierre-Lewis are emerging standouts, and FS Major Wright showed off his playmaking ability with an interception return for a touchdown in the Week 1 win over Hawaii. A little pressure from DEs Carlos Dunlap and Jermaine Cunningham could make it a long night for Marve.

If Marve is not up to the challenge, the Hurricanes will turn to another freshman, Jacory Harris. Harris performed admirably in the opener, filling in for the suspended Marve, and while Harris is not much of a passing threat, he is an excellent athlete who is capable of scrambling for big chunks of yardage. Don't be surprised to see Harris in the game in certain packages -- particularly goal line and short yardage -- in order to maximize his running skills.

Ultimately, Miami must run the football with great success to pull off the upset. The Canes boast a big, strong offensive line that averages 320 pounds, a unit that is capable of wearing down a somewhat undersized Gators defensive line. Miami must control the clock by protecting the ball and converting on a high percentage of third and fourth downs, and if that happens, RBs Javarris James and Graig Cooper are talented enough to gash Florida's defense on the ground. James is a slashing junior with good size and power, while Cooper is a sophomore with more explosiveness.

Florida Offense vs. Miami Defense

Coach Urban Meyer has to be pleased with what he saw from his rushing attack in Week 1's 56-10 drubbing of Hawaii. Instead of relying heavily on returning Heisman Trophy-winning QB Tim Tebow, Florida's ground game received contributions from many players. In fact, 11 Gators chipped in on an effort that netted 255 yards on 38 carries. Most impressive was the freshman duo of Chris Rainey and Jeffrey Demps, who combined for 134 yards and two scores on eight carries. Demps, who had a 76-yard run, and Rainey, who had a 58-yarder, are speedsters capable of hitting a home run at any point. Florida suddenly boasts ridiculous depth at running back, including the versatile Brandon James (who accounted for 121 all-purpose yards versus Hawaii), USC transfer Emmanuel Moody, bruising senior Kestahn Moore and sophomore Mon Williams (who returns after sitting out 2007 with an ACL tear). As a result, Tebow carried the ball only nine times against the Warriors, which is more palatable than the 16.2 carries per game he averaged last season

With so much talent to account for, defending Florida's ground game will be no easy task for the Hurricanes. Expect Miami to spend most of the evening in nickel and dime personnel packages, putting as many of its best athletes as possible on the field at the same time. In addition to excellent play from senior MLB Glenn Cook and junior WLB Colin McCarthy, the Hurricanes need Ss Anthony Redd*ck and JoJo Nicolas to be big factors against the run.

Not everything was positive for the Gators' offense in the opener, though. In fact, the Hawaii tape exposed more vulnerability than expected, particularly in the passing game. For starters, Florida's offensive line did a below-average job in pass protection. The line has been shuffled due to the injury to LOG Jim Tartt, whose streak of 18 consecutive starts came to a close last week. While there is a decent amount of starting experience along the line, none of the starters is returning at the same position he played a year ago. As a result, miscommunications and indecisiveness led to protection breakdowns. You can expect the Hurricanes to attack the potential weaknesses more aggressively with their superior athletes.

Also, the timing between Tebow and his receivers appeared to be off during the majority of last week's game. Sure, part of the problem could be chalked up to opening-game jitters, but a bigger issue was Florida's personnel. With playmaking WR Percy Harvin out last week and seam-stretching TE Cornelius Ingram out for the season, Tebow simply did not have his typical array of experienced, explosive weapons. After watching the tape, it was obvious the Gators' receivers were not getting open fast enough and did not do a good job coming back to Tebow when he was forced to scramble, which was more often than not. If Harvin returns near 100 percent Saturday, it should be a huge boost, but even then, Miami would be wise to take a more aggressive approach early on to try to get Tebow out of sync and possibly force a turnover or two. Hawaii's defense, which ranked 46th nationally in points allowed last season, held the Gators scoreless for the first 18-plus minutes of last Saturday's game. Miami might be young on the defensive side of the ball, but it has far more athleticism and speed with which to attack.

DE Eric Moncur is expected to play despite the recent death of his mother, who lost a battle with cancer, and his presence not only will be emotionally inspiring for his teammates but also will arm first-year defensive coordinator Bill Young with one of his best pass-rushers. Moncur (5.5 sacks in '07), DT Antonio Dixon (1.5 sacks) and freshman DE Marcus Robinson need to apply consistent pressure on Tebow without much help from blitzing linebackers and safeties. Simply put: The Canes best chance of keeping Tebow and his mates in check is to keep Tebow bottled up and under duress, while dropping seven defenders into coverage as often as possible.

Key individual matchup

Miami QB Robert Marve versus Florida DS Major Wright

Coach Urban Meyer challenged Wright to step up as one of the defense's top playmakers in 2008, and Wright responded with a 32-yard interception return for a score in the first half last week. Only a sophomore, Wright is blessed with very good natural instincts and closing burst, which he uses to jump routes in front of him. The hard-hitting safety also excels in run support (67 tackles in 2007). A versatile playmaker like Wright must be accounted for during each pre-snap read -- run or pass -- in addition to progression reads. Unfortunately for Miami, Marve's inexperience could be costly in this regard.

Ideally, the Hurricanes would have given Marve some game experience prior to Saturday night's trip to The Swamp. However, a car accident last year and a one-game suspension served during the opener k!lled that plan. Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix will do everything in his power to limit Marve's responsibilities while putting him in the best situations to succeed, but it ultimately will be up to Marve to make the proper reads and decisions.

Special Teams

Brandon James reminded the nation of his difference-making skills last week when he returned a punt 74 yards to the house. Chas Henry has a strong leg but has room to improve with his directional punting, as three of his four attempts went for touchbacks last week. The Gators did not attempt a field goal in the opener, but the top contenders for the job are senior Jonathan Phillips and true freshman Caleb Sturgis. While Phillips obviously has more experience, Sturgis is a raw talent with an enormous leg.

Improving upon a pedestrian special teams unit from a year ago was a huge emphasis for the Canes during the offseason. Saturday night's trip to Gainesville should serve as quite a litmus test. Much of the unit's success relies on the leg of Matt Bosher, who is punting and kicking for Miami this season. Bosher connected on his only field goal attempt (22 yards) in the opener, and he displayed good control on his first three punts of the season, landing two inside the 20-yard line. Bosher also does a decent job on kickoffs. Miami is looking for a big improvement in the return game after ranking near the bottom of the ACC in that department a year ago. It is counting on Cooper, who took his only punt return attempt 66 yards to paydirt last week, and Ryan Hill, who handled both kickoff returns in the opener, to provide the biggest sparks.

Scouts' Edge

Miami is headed in the right direction under coach Randy Shannon. The program obviously is recruiting better than in recent years, which can be seen in its increased speed at most positions. However, the Hurricanes still are young and in transition, which does not bode well for a night game in The Swamp versus Tebow and the Gators. Miami might keep things close for the first couple of quarters, but eventually, Florida's experience and depth will kick in. The Gators' much-improved defense will force Marve into some critical errors in his first collegiate start, and the Miami defense eventually will wilt against the speed of Tebow, Brandon James, Harvin, Demps, Rainey and the rest.
 8 years ago '04        #4396
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Cornerback Brandon Harris will have to play well beyond his years this week against Florida.

Harris is lining up as UM's nickel back and will go up against the bevy of speedy receiver Florida will throw at him.

Harris will likely be tested early, but if his performance against Charleston Southern is any indication how he will play this week, he should be just fine.

Against Charleston Southern, Harris never looked out of place and made a nice tackle for loss of four yard in the second half that energized the rest of the defense.

Read on here as Harris shares his thoughts on the game this week, what he expects about playing in a big time college game, and his thoughts on the comments Florida players have made going into the game and how it will motivate Miami.

What are your opening thoughts going into the big game this week?

"It is a big game and a big situation for us. It is going to be a big chance for us to really put our team on the map this year. I was being recruited by Florida and I know what the atmosphere up there in the Swamp is like. It will be exciting to go up there and play a game."

How many times did you watch a game at Florida during the recruiting process?

"I made two trips up there last season and I got to experience two rivalry games. I was up there when they played Tennessee and Auburn. I know Florida is a big time program and they are used to being in these situations, but so are we. The rivalry continues this year and hopefully we can come out on top."

Everybody talks about the noise and how loud it is up there. Is it as loud as people make it out to be?

"The noise is what everybody says it is. The way the stadium is built, the crowd is really on top of you while you are on the field and it gets pretty loud. They have about 92,000 people there and there is a lot of screaming."

What are your thoughts on how you played against Charleston Southern?

"I think I did pretty well. I had a couple of mistakes that I got corrected in the film room, but overall I think I had a pretty good game. Charleston Southern runs a similar style of offense to Florida, so that is why it is good to go against them. I think I should be well prepared going into this game this Saturday."

You had a play where you made a tackle for a loss and showed a lot of emotion on the field. What type of confidence, if any, do you get when you make plays like that?

"When I made that play, it really showed me that I was ready to play on the college level. It really gave me the confidence that I needed going into Florida. Before the game I was worried about if I could match up with these guys because most of their receivers are veterans and I am coming straight from high school. Playing in that game really gave me confidence though and I am ready to play Florida."

Are you still expecting to handle some kick return duties this week?

I am still expecting to take some reps at kick return this week. Hopefully, we can change the game on special teams like we did against Charleston Southern. The special teams will be a real important part of this game. We take it very serious.

I think special teams will play a major role. When you are playing against two very talented teams, with speed type of teams, special teams plays a role because that can really change the game.

You've never experienced a big game at Miami before. What type of emotions and focus are you noticing from your teammates this week as they prepare for Florida?

"The whole team is very excited. Everybody is watching all the sports networks and nobody is giving us a chance in the game. We watch some of the shows in the player's lounge and people have us getting beat by 40 or 50 points. It is really frustrating, so everybody is coming out and practicing hard and we want to show that we are a talented football team in spite of what the record was last year."

I think a lot of the players are steamed because they know how hard we work in the summer and the caliber of team that we have. We really think we have a championship caliber team this year. The lack of respect we get from sports writers, that just makes everybody want to practice a little harder.

What was your reaction to the comments that Louis Murphy made?

"I was kind of shocked that they came and made those statements. Now we know how much they are disrespecting us in their house. They players are upset, especially the upperclassmen that have been here. They know how important the Florida game is. Miami never loses to Florida, so they have that feeling and they try to pass that on to us. We are really excited to go up there and just take those words and shove it right back at them."

Do you think the secondary will take an extra long look for Louis Murphy this week?

"He is one of the top guys they are going to have to look out for. Some of the things he said in the papers, I think we will be putting out a special eye for him."

Where in the locker room is his quote posted?

"It was put all over. In the locker room, we have motivational pieces posted in every locker. His quote is one of the top quotes that we have somewhere in the locker room with his picture on it, so everybody knows who said it."

"Each locker has a Florida football player inside their locker and usually under each picture is a quote that they said. It is pretty much just motivational things coming from Louis Murphy and Matt Patchan and some of the things he said during the recruiting process."

Have any of the former 'Canes talked to you this week about what this rivalry means?

"Some of the older guys to and they relay the message back to us. They just basically say that Florida don't beat Miami. In spite of their records and the great teams that Florida has put together, we just don't lose in that rivalry."

Do you feel like underdogs in this game?

"We feel like underdogs. They are a great program and they have put together great recruiting classes just like we have and they have a lot of experience on both sides of the ball. We really do feel like underdogs, but that isn't going to affect the way that we play."

"Really and truly, the pressure is on them, but I think we are putting extra pressure on ourselves, just knowing how the rivalry is and how bad we want to win this game. We are excited and ready to play hard."

What are your thoughts on going up against Tim Tebow? Have you ever seen a player like him?

"Tim Tebow is a great quarterback. I was excited to watch him play last year during the recruiting process. I love watching him on the field and the way he plays with emotion for the game. It is exciting going against him."
 8 years ago '04        #4397
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami coach Randy Shannon was eating lunch at one of his regular stops near campus this week when a young fan approached his table and interrupted his time with Texas Toast.

"Are you Randy Shannon?" he asked.

Shannon nodded and posed for a picture with the boy, who informed him he'd be at the game against Florida this week in Gainesville.

In his second season as head coach, Shannon has become the face of Miami football. The identity of his team, though, is not so clear.

Of the 100 players on the roster, 40 are either true or redshirt freshmen -- quarterbacks included. Overall, 21 true freshmen played in the Hurricanes' season opening 52-7 thumping of Charleston Southern. While they looked good in the process, Shannon knows Saturday's game at No. 5-ranked Florida will reveal a lot more about where his team is and how much further the program must go before it regains its status as a national title contender.

"I really do think we need a game like this," Shannon said. "We need to know where we're at as a staff, and as a football team to know where we're at from this point. Playing Florida is a great opportunity to put our standards and our measures to where they're at right now.

"I think that's what you want to get at, to that level. Florida has been one of the premier teams in the country for probably the last four or five years. You always want to get back to that level. We've got young players like they had young players when coach (Ron) Zook was there. ... This is the backbone of what we're trying to build this program with. This is just the foundation and the start with these young guys."

While the Gators' offense will be run by Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, the Hurricanes will be led by redshirt freshman Robert Marve, who has never played in a college football game. One of the reasons Marve came to Miami, though, was to play a role in rebuilding the program.

"In high school, my high school team started off on the bottom going up," he said. "It was a big thing to be a part of that. I know how great it can be to be on the upside of a program that's been down for a second, and I'm just trying to do as much as I can to prepare and help us get to where we need to be."

Had this game been played at the same time a year ago, Shannon said, he probably would have lost some weight and chewed his nails down worrying about it. Not this season. The difference is he has a core group of veterans who can share time with the younger players.

"This is the first time we've been healthy since I've been a head coach at the University of Miami," he said. "Last year, the second game of the season, third game, we was trying to dress 50 guys. Now, we're able to pick and choose who we need to try and things like that."

The strengths of this team are the offensive line, the tight ends and the running backs. But in a program trying to rebound from a 5-7 season that included just two conference wins, everything is a question mark.

Doubt swirled around the program this summer mainly because of the uncertainty at quarterback and the unproven talent on the roster. The Hurricanes were picked by the media to finish third in the Coastal Division behind Virginia Tech and North Carolina, respectively. But both of those teams looked unimpressive in their debuts last week, causing some to wonder if Miami might be capable of more than originally expected.

"This game will at least set a mark for the University of Miami," said senior safety Anthony Redd*ck. "Coming into this game, coming into this year, a lot of people are doubting us, except for the people that are here, except for our families. We have a lot to prove. I think we have just as many playmakers as they do. We really do. I think everybody that's here could've went to Florida."

Not only is this a chance for Miami to prove itself within the conference, but following an opening weekend in which the ACC was embarrassed on the national stage, it's a chance for the Hurricanes to help heal the league's bruised reputation.

"We're always looked at like we're not a strong conference, but for us and the ACC it would be a tremendous boost," Shannon said. "It would give us a lift and get the conference what I call some growth to it."

Shannon's 2008 recruiting class has been lauded as the best in the nation and was ranked No. 1 in the country by ESPN.com. But even he can't predict how the teenagers will respond to playing in the Swamp.

"You don't know until the game time comes," Shannon said. "You don't really know. All you can do is throw 'em out there."

That's exactly what he did last weekend.

Eleven different receivers caught passes, six were true freshmen.

"It's the best gauge of the season, without a doubt," said receivers coach Aubrey Hill. "With so many receivers we're playing, to see them against really good competition for 60 minutes, for the whole entire game will be very exciting."

Five true freshmen rotated in on the defensive line, three in the secondary and two at linebacker. Expect more of the same against the Gators -- as early as the first quarter.

Shannon has no choice.

"They have to play," Shannon said. "We don't have the numbers not to play the young guys. They are our second team guys. They are the guys that are going to help us win."

Saturday's game will help determine how quickly they can do it.
 8 years ago '04        #4398
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
props
 8 years ago '04        #4399
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,027 | Props total: 2227 2227
 904Nole said:
Will ya`ll do me a favor and beat the SH*T outta Florida? I`m so tired of everybody overrating those pathetic bastards... I`m not even a UM fan, but that sh*t that Murphy said....:disdain2:
Give me a fu*king break. Miami players have talked way worse sh*t going into this game than Murhpy did. Overrated? UF has waxed you f*g**ts for years now, get off their d*cks. UF is a great program, something FSU isn't anymore and can only hope they still can become after they get laid out by the NCAA.

Last edited by 1000bluntz; 09-06-2008 at 12:04 AM..
 09-06-2008, 10:08 PM         #4400
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I really hope Shannon fires Nix right away. Also bench Marve that n*gga is dumb as sh*t. THROW THE fu*kING BALL AWAY
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX who the fu-k is this!!!!?
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Dak & Zeke Partying in Dallas Nightclub on Monday Night
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BX, Riddle me this .....
219 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 6 - Tom Ford Thinks All Men Should Be Penetrated At Least Once
276 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Just got the 2016 Escalade
250 comments
20 hours ago
@rides
most viewed right now
Video inside Amazonian tribesmen react to images of the earth
58 comments
1 day ago