Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Forbes: Highest paid YouTube stars :wtf:
145 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Reason why jeremih got kicked out of the tour and possible going to get..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Soulja Boy - Beef (Quavo Diss)
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This picture more rare than Papoose without a hat
45 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #4281
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,027 | Props total: 2227 2227
 madness said:
prolly sam shields, his dumbass is always gettin into trouble
Has he learned how to catch yet? I remember some of y'all saying he was better than Percy Harvin :lachen001:. Not hating but I know one of you n*ggas said that sh*t a couple years back.
 8 years ago '06        #4282
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,595 | Props total: 12016 12016
 1000bluntz said:
Has he learned how to catch yet? I remember some of y'all saying he was better than Percy Harvin :lachen001:. Not hating but I know one of you n*ggas said that sh*t a couple years back.
you cant really judge on of our wide outs with twidle dee and twidle dum as our QB's... we had a quarterback that threw 3 picks and pass completion in a game

sheilds has had some brightspots when gets a shot
 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM         #4283
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is Hankersons year my n*gga's. And Shield needs to stop smoking crack or whatever hes doing and start beasting
 8 years ago '04        #4284
1000bluntz 
space
space
Why hasn't Shannon offered Boyd? He might be the best taller type receiver in the nation and with y'all having Porter there's no doubt Boyd would go to y'all if offered. I don't care who else you have on the board you make room for a player like Boyd, n*gga has a fu*king 44 inch vert and is very fast.
 8 years ago '04        #4285
1000bluntz 
space
space
Marve and fam ain't too thrilled about this suspension

Do not mistake this as our dismissing the trouble the player got into last Halloween in Coconut Grove. The point is that Shannon seems to have used very questionable judgment in the matter.

At the very least the coach should have informed Marve last fall that he would face discipline at the start of the next season. Instead the coach sacked his own quarterback with a blindside hit.

''Robert is upset. Robert's family is upset. We are having trouble seeing the wisdom of how an incident from last season is being handled,'' said Eugene Marve, the father, adding, ``Punishment delayed could bring bitterness.''

That was the measured version Mr. Marve wished to state publicly. Privately the family is furious. Star players have transferred for less. Not suggesting Marve will, only that the wound is raw enough to feel like betrayal.
 8 years ago '06        #4286
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
who gives a fu*k if he aint thrilled

its a non issue
 8 years ago '06        #4287
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 1000bluntz said:
Why hasn't Shannon offered Boyd? He might be the best taller type receiver in the nation and with y'all having Porter there's no doubt Boyd would go to y'all if offered. I don't care who else you have on the board you make room for a player like Boyd, n*gga has a fu*king 44 inch vert and is very fast.
yeah boyd has been quoted saying he wants a miami offer and play with curtis porter

the reason why he dosent have an offer?????

the only reason is because we are only gonna take 1 or 2 wide outs and the only explanation is that we must feel like we have a great shot of getting randle and/or debose :applause::applause::applause:
 8 years ago '04        #4288
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 586 586
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Seven players from the University of Miami football team have been suspended for the school's season opener against Charleston Southern this Thursday.

Running back Damien Berry, wide receiver Kayne Farquharson, fullback Eric Houston, walk-on long snapper Chris Ivory, quarterback Robert Marve, defensive end Adewale Ojomo, and safety Randy Phillips are the suspended players.

Most of the suspensions are believed to be academic related issues. UM officials said none of the players are academically ineligible this season.

"Like I said when I took the job at the University of Miami, we hold everybody to higher standards than most teams in the country," Shannon said. "We have our rules and regulations as far as academics, curfews, study hall, and doing the right things in the classroom."

"Some people may think this is a harsh decision because I am a stickler about doing the little things, but one thing I do know is if you don't do the little things then they add up to big things and that can cause problems for your team."

The most noteworthy suspension of the group is quarterback Robert Marve, who Shannon said will be the team's starter for the remainder of the season after the Charleston Southern game.

"Robert Marve will be our starting quarterback for the season," Shannon said. "He will not be attending the game against Charleston Southern."

Among the other suspended players for the Charleston Southern game, Farquharson, Ivory, Ojomo, and Phillips were expected to either be starting or on the two-deep depth chart.

Shannon said all the suspended players will be on the sideline for the Charleston Southern Game
 8 years ago '04        #4289
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Defensive tackle Marcus Forston has known Jacory Harris for years and knows that Harris can handle being the starter of the first game of the season.

He knows that Harris is a winner and knows that his high school teammate will be able to get the job done, but Forston admitted one thing.

Everyone is going to be nervous when the season starts Thursday against Charleston Southern.

"Everybody will be nervous the first game, but it's about how you are going to take on the nerves," Forston said.

Excitement is though is what Forston has plenty of right now especially after reaching on his goals for his freshman year of not being redshirted.

"I am very excited. I've been working hard all summer. This is what I want, to walk out that tunnel the first game of the season without getting redshirted. That was a goal for me this year. I accomplished that goal so I feel good right now and it can't get no better than playing in front of the home crowd at Dolphin Stadium," Forston said. "Basically we came in at the right time in the right situation. We came in when the program is basically trying to get better facilities and playing in a better stadium. It wasn't because of us. We came in right on time when UM was on the move."

Forston also commented on the quarterback battle between Robert Marve and Harris.

'They competed all summer. I am comfortable with both of those guys. We are going to leave that alone and just worry about this game," Forston said.

But Forston knows Harris real well and was able to shed some light about his long time teammate and the type of character Harris has.

"Jacory is a team player, a down to earth guy, a guy I've known since the 9th grade. We have a close bond together. Even if he was going to be the guy to hold the ball for a field goal, he would do that because he's a team player and always been a team player. You got to go out there and look at it like he was in high school, but he's a competitive guy and work hard and do whatever he can for the team," Forston said.

Fall practice has been an experience for Forston as he's lost 18 pounds since he arrived on campus in January and eight or nine pounds this Fall which prompted coaches to keep me out a few practices so he wouldn't lose too much weight.

"I think I lost like 8-9 pounds. Right now I am 300 pounds. I feel way more explosive now. I still have some that baby fat on me. I ate unhealthy in high school. Right now I am eating right and drinking a lot of fluids and that's got me good right now. I was 318 when I got here," Forston said.

Forston said the team will start getting truly jacked up for the game probably the day before the game. They are focused now, but the team excitement will pick up as the week goes on.

"For this game, everything is fundamental and technique this week," Forston said. "All the guys are focused. (Getting krunk) will start when we are in shells the day before the game. Today is Super Sunday and tomorrow is Mighty Monday. Everybody is going to go out there and have fun because we know what we have to do the next day."
 8 years ago '04        #4290
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Randy Shannon held his first press conference of the season today as the team prepares for Charleston Southern.

SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

"We are a couple of days away for our first game against Charleston Southern. The team is excited and we had a great practice last night. We are looking forward to our first game being at Dolphins Stadium. The thing is that Charleston Southern has a new defensive coordinator, so we really don't know what they are going to run on defense. We have to go back and look at some Clemson stuff and places he's been to get some ideas about what he has done."

"Also they have a new special teams coordinator, so you kind of look at what they present throughout the season. There is only so much you can do on special teams, but we work on all kinds of scenarios as far as with our punt team because that is the biggest part that can make and break a game, is punt protection for us. We have been running a lot of different combinations of punt blocks and holdups and looks to give us an idea."

NEWS & NOTES

? With starting quarterback Robert Marve suspended for the game this week and six other players suspended, Shannon says he isn't worried about his team getting distracted.

"It is kind of a different team and they handle a lot of things different," Shannon said. "I noticed it when we were practicing. One day the defense would be rolling in practice and doing a great job and the offense didn't panic and they found a way toward the end of practice to change the momentum around."

? Shannon has full confidence Jacory Harris will be able to handle the starting quarterback responsibilities as a true freshman.

"Both Jacory and Marve handle themselves with a lot of pride and poise as far as handling the team. A true quarterback will always take the blame. Sometimes Jacory and Marve with a ball that maybe hit the receivers hands, they will go and say that was me, I didn't get it there low enough. Put the pressure on me as a quarterback. When you have quarterbacks that do those type of things, it is easy for the other ten guys to handle."

? Shannon reiterated that even if Jacory has a great game against CSU, Marve will be the starting quarterback and he even hinted Marve will be the starter the entire season. "He is the guy the whole year," Shannon said. "Jacory is going to play and we have to build depth at that position. We are going to play both of those guys, but Robert Marve is our starter."

? Shannon on when he first noticed Jacory in high school: "When he was a junior at Northwestern and I was recruiting him and the way he mingled with the guys on the team. He was never with just the offense or defense, he was with everybody. He was a football team guy."

? Shannon has repeatedly said that he wants his quarterbacks to be caretakers of the offense this season. He says that isn't a decision based on his personnel, rather Shannon believes it to be the most efficient way to run an offense.

"I just think that you want to get the ball into the playmaker's hands," Shannon said. "It could be a deep ball, it could be a short ball, it could be anything. You don't have to stand there and throw the ball 90 yards to be successful. You have to get the ball to the guys that can make plays for you. If a guy takes a five-yard pass and he takes it 70 yards, then you take it. It is still going to be a 75-yard touchdown."

? According to Shannon "the door is open" for defensive ends Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey to play in the Charleston Southern game. "They are always doing stuff in practice," Shannon said. "Allen Bailey two days ago went through the whole entire individual and just all of a sudden just tossed one of the defensive linemen during drills. That is almost like game-type, but you don't know yet."

Shannon said both Moncur and Bailey will go to the doctor today and tomorrow to get a diagnosis on whether or not they can play. Shannon said Moncur is probably a little ahead of Bailey in returning.

? With 13 true freshman on the two-deep depth chart going into the game, Shannon says he won't put himself in a situation to let the freshmen fail. "They have to play," Shannon said. "You can say do you feel uncomfortable? Yes. But what can you do about it. You just have to coach them up and they go in and play in the game. I will tell you that they will not play 70 snaps. They will play 20-25 snaps."

? Because long snapper Chris Ivory is suspended for the Charleston Southern game, walk-on quarterback Jake Byrne will handle the duties. Shannon says Byrne has actually been more productive than Ivory while practicing at the position.

"Matter of fact, we are a better team right now with Byrne snapping," Shannon said. "We were getting the ball out at 2.1 seconds and now we are at 2.0 with Byrne snapping."

? Shannon doesn't expect freshman linebacker Arthur Brown to play in the Charleston Southern game unless an injury occurs. According to Shannon, Brown is not injured. "He isn't on the two-deep and I don't know if he is going to play in the game," Shannon said.

? Thursday will be the first game in Dolphin Stadium and Shannon talked about what he expects from fans in the season opener. "I think you will have a lot of fans there who will want to see the product because of the recruiting and there is a lot of guys returning. They want to see improvement and I think they will see improvement come Thursday night."

? The infield dirt from the Marlins games will still be on the field, but Shannon doesn't believe that will pose any problems. "Both teams have to play on it. When I was at the Dolphins, it was never a problem. They accepted what it was and went out there and played."
 8 years ago '04        #4291
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- There were some surprises when the depth chart for the Charleston Southern game was released Sunday night at the University of Miami.

Leonard Hankerson may be listed as a starter on the depth chart, but according to Hankerson he's worked with the second unit the entire Fall and is still working with the second unit.

"Right now, I am not at the top, I am second team right now," Hankerson said. "I am still going to do what I got to do to play. I am going to do what I got to do to compete."

Hankerson also said that the quarterback situation doesn't affect him because he feels that both Robert Marve and Jacory Harris both throw the ball with similar velocity and both put the ball on the money.

'They are both throwing the ball well doing what they got to do. They both have a lot of force on the ball and throwing the ball on the money to get the job done," Hankerson said.

However, Hankerson had no idea that Marve was going to be suspended.

"I was shocked. But things happened," Hankerson said. "There are all consequences to things that people do in life, but we got good quarterbacks. They are both going to play and they are both going to get the job done. It's a learning experience."

Hankerson said that Khalil Jones, Kayne Farquharson and Aldarius Johnson have been the starting wide receivers and that the team has been running three-wide as its base formation most of the time.

However, with Farquharson suspended for the season opener against Charleston Southern, he had a guess as to who would start in the slot on Thursday.

"We are playing three wide. I am guessing Thearon Collier (will start)," Hankerson said.
 8 years ago '06        #4292
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
:dancingcool::dancingcool::dancingcool:

3 more days folks!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-25-2008, 08:42 PM         #4293
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Word I can't wait.. THE U MUTHAfu*kAS
 8 years ago '04        #4294
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami cornerback Chavez Grant has started ten games in his career at UM, all at nickel back.

But this fall camp Grant battled for and won the job as a starting cornerback and is expected to make his first start on the outside this Thursday against Charleston Southern.

Grant is a player who has thrived in new defensive coordinator Bill Young's zone blitz scheme because of his ability to play in space and read the quarterback.

Read here to see what Grant is saying about the season opener, why he likes playing in Bill Young's defense, and what the responsibilities are against a spread offense.

Were you surprised by the news of the decision to suspend Robert Marve and what was the team's reaction?

"A lot of guys didn't really speak about it, but it was a decision that the coaches had to make. We can't do anything about that, but we are still going to go out there and play and we have a lot of confidence in Jacory, we feel like he can get the job done."

What are your expectations for the defense going into the Charleston Southern game?

"We are just trying to dominate every down. We are just trying to finish. That was our motto this year was to have no excuses and dominate all of our opponents. We try to just play hard and not take anyone for granted. I think we did that a lot last year, take guys for granted and they came out and capitalized on our mistakes. We are trying to eliminate mental mistakes and that will help us carry our a.ssignments."

How excited are you about playing the first game at Dolphin Stadium?

"We talk about making a big play and running for a touchdown and seeing the jumbotron and see who is behind you. It is going to be a great atmosphere. The Orange Bowl was a great atmosphere and we are going to miss that and we feel like Dolphin Stadium is going to be better for the fans with the facilities. We want our fans to be comfortable and enjoy where they are at."

I know Florida doesn't run the same type of spread, but Charleston Southern also runs a spread offense. How much help can playing the spread be in preparation for Florida be for the defense?

"It will give us some things to practice on. We might make some mistakes and see some things that we need to tweak on. Every week a team prepares you for the next week and you capitalize off of those mistakes and correct what you need to correct."

What is the most important thing as a defender to remember in playing a spread offense?

"Everyone just has to carry out there a.ssignment and be in there place when they have to be there. Everyone has a man to cover or area to cover. On defense everyone is a.ssigned to a place and if everybody is doing what they are supposed to be doing, then you will be fine."

Can you just talk about your offseason now and the way you have worked up from the nickel spot to now starting on the outside? How excited are you for the season?

"Now that I am a starter, I am trying to keep the position of course, but at the same time I have a great guy behind me in DeMarcus Van Dke. He is pushing me very hard and he is also a great cornerback. He had the starting position last year, so it is always a battle. We have to come out and compete every day and if Van Dke beats me out, then we are a better team."

What types of new things does the Bill Young defense bring?

"I think that it brings a lot. It brings a little man, a little zone, a little type of prevent defense. There are a lot of schemes in it. It has a little more freedom and it lets us play a little more and you have to have that to have fun in what you are doing."

A lot of times the quarterbacks tell us, 'I didn't know what you guys were going to do.' That is the great thing about it. It gives us a little more freedom to move before the play and disguise the defense and I think that works well with being able to make plays.

How is the defense better this season?

"I think it was us guys getting playing experience and becoming more of a unit. We are just getting better. Even if the scheme changes next year, we are still going to be better because we have talent."

When the team is in nickel defense, will you slide in to the nickel spot or will you stay on the outside?

"No, I don't think that is the plan right now as far as I know. Brandon Harris is doing just fine at the nickel spot, just like I did my freshman year. He is doing great and I believe the staff should stick him in there and I believe they will."
 8 years ago '04        #4295
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- One of the few players who knows first hand what Jacory Harris can do at quarterback is freshman wide receiver Aldarius Johnson.

Harris threw passes to Johnson for two years at Miami Northwestern in which he caught 148 passes for 2,321 yard and 32 touchdowns.

Johnson has full confidence that Harris can have a great game this week against Charleston Southern.

"I have played with him in high school and I know what he can do," Johnson said. "He can win games. He is humble and he knows how to keep the team motivated. I told him to come out and have fun Thursday night and he said that is what he is going to do."

Johnson said he and Harris have talked a long time about playing at Miami and soon their dream will be realized.

"I am just proud of him that he has a chance to start at the University of Miami now," Johnson said. "That is something that we used to talk about a lot last year when we were at Northwestern is how we want to get a chance to play and have a solid game because when you find out it is your time, you have to show what you got. That is what Jacory is going to do."

Because of the support and way Harris will work in practice this season, Johnson doesn't believe the Marve suspension is a distraction at all.

"He is going to motivate Marve so they can come out and compete everyday in practice," Johnson said. "That is what I love about the quarterbacks. They love to compete and they are like brothers and they help each other out with their coverages. It is going to be fun to play with both of them."

Johnson is currently listed on the second team at wide receiver, but is expected to get a lot of reps and opportunities to make plays in the season opener.

"I am really excited," Johnson said. "I have always dreamed about the chance to play for the University of Miami and I have that chance on Thursday night, so I am just going to come out here and have fun."

One upperclassman who has taken Johnson under his wing since he has arrived at UM is senior Khalil Jones, who also graduated from Northwestern High School.

"I have known Khalil since I was about 12 years old," Johnson said. "He is a nice guy who is into church. He is always praying for us and he tells us that he loves us everyday. He tells us what we have to come out and do in practice."

"He really wants to win. That is why he teaches us how to get ready and how the college players play. He tells us how to read a defense and how to look for certain things. He is a team player."
 8 years ago '04        #4296
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami running back Graig Cooper is ready for the season to finally begin.

Since the end of last season, Cooper's been counting the days to the beginning of the season and come Thursday, he says the team needs to make a statement.

"It is very important to make a statement," Cooper said. "I feel like it is personal. I take it real personal man, how we ended last season."

"Every game is personal to me. I ain't use to losing. That is how we push each other, every game is personal, so that is how we have to go in against Charleston Southern."

Cooper is anxious for the season to start for two reasons: he's a much stronger runner this year and his confidence is a lot higher going into this season after a very strong freshman season.

But maybe the biggest source of Cooper's confidence going into the season is the fact that his legs are feeling the most fresh since he has been at Miami.

"I am feeling good," Cooper said. "I don't have any nicks at all. The legs feel good and I am ready man, I am pumped."

Cooper's legs are fresh going into the season partly because Head Coach Randy Shannon has been careful with the amount of reps he has given him during fall practice. Shannon limited the carries of both Cooper and James during the three scrimmages throughout fall practice.

"We know coach is going to try and get those guys in," Cooper said. "If me and Javarris go down again, they are going to try and get those guys in, so they can get some reps and build confidence in them."

As a true freshman last year, Cooper ran for 682 yards and four touchdowns while catching 13 passes for 129 yards. His best game came in the season opener against Marshall when he rushed for 116 yards on 12 carries.

He also handled the punt return duties last season, averaging 4.8 yards per return. For the Charleston Southern game, Cooper is slated as the number one punt returner on the depth chart.

Cooper says the biggest reason the offense is improved from last year is that all the players are familiar with the playbook and more confident in what they are doing.

"We have the same offense, so we just know it a lot better now," Cooper said. "Everybody knows what they have to do now. Last year we had to learn a whole new offense. This year they know all the little things. Everything is more crisp."

Cooper says the recent suspension of starting quarterback Robert Marve is not a distraction to the team.

"It is not a distraction because those guys work and support their teammates the same way," Cooper said. "We have enough talent around here. If I was in trouble, we would have enough guys to come in and fill my spot."

So what would Cooper tell true freshman Jacory Harris about what to expect in playing his first college game?

"It is going to be a lot faster and you are going to have to make a lot smarter decisions," Cooper said. "I haven't really sat down and talked to him about that yet though because he has made good decision on spring and summer."
 8 years ago '04        #4297
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
props booie
 8 years ago '04        #4298
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
No favoritism for Shannon's son at UM
Center Xavier Shannon transferred from FIU to play for his dad at UM, but he shouldn't expect any special treatment.

With a former NFL player and college coach for a father, Xavier Shannon didn't get to see very much of his dad growing up. But when he did, he said he was taught many valuable lessons in life.

As a second-grader, a spanking and six-month ban from video games and toys taught him to not act up in school. As a high school football player, a day full of running and vomiting showed him it's a not good idea to have your coach call your dad to tell him you showed up to practice out of shape. And as a young Scrabble player, he learned to never keep his eyes off his father.

''He cheats,'' Xavier said of his father, University of Miami football coach Randy Shannon. 'People that play Scrabble know there's only two blanks in the bag. Sometimes, if he needs a blank, he'll flip an `I' or a 'C' on its back. My grandma and I always call him out on it. But that's Dad, he tries to do whatever he can to win. He's competitive. All of us Shannons are.''

The relationship between father and son hit a new level, though, eight months ago when the son did something his father really didn't want him to -- join Dad's football team. Shannon has said publicly he never wanted his son to play for him and to make his own footprints in life.

After graduating from FIU in December, Xavier, 22, enrolled in UM's graduate school. With a year of eligibility remaining, he walked on to the Hurricanes' football team. His education is paid for (tuition remission) because his father works for the school. Since he has arrived, father and son have gone out of their way to avoid any perceived notions of favoritism.

When asked recently how his son, a 6-1, 300-pound fifth-year center was doing, the coach answered, ``Don't know. Don't watch him.''

But when the Canes kick off their season against Charleston Southern at 7 p.m. Thursday at Dolphins Stadium, father won't have any choice but to watch his son. Xavier, who started 29 games in his three years at FIU, is slated to have his hands on the football every time UM snaps the ball.

And while Randy, 42, won't discuss what his son does on the field, he does speak highly of what he has accomplished off it.

''As a dad I'm proud of him,'' the coach said. ``I think he's doing all the right things that he needs to make a dad proud. I'm sure he knows that.''

HANGING OUT

On a recent day off from practice, father and son sat down to watch the Olympics, talk about basketball, girls and life. But football was off limits.

''When we do talk, it's usually about movies,'' said Xavier, who said his father called at 5 a.m. this summer just to ask him when the movie National Treasure 2 was being released.

"He likes some movies and music nobody else likes. He has the entire Sting collection on DVD. He likes National Treasure, all the old [James Bond] 007s, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan and Get Rich or Die Trying with 50 Cent. He really likes that one.''

The two didn't spend much time together while Xavier was growing up, with Randy spending much of his time coaching. ''I usually saw him about three or four days a week,'' Xavier said. "But I lived with my grandma and my mom.''

When Xavier did see his dad, he knew not to cross the line. He said his father was a strict disciplinarian with all four of his children -- Tyquitah, 24, Randy, 8, and Steven 4. ''I remember how hard he was on my sister when she ran track at Coral Gables [High],'' Xavier said. "With athletics, he would always push us harder than everybody else. He always wanted us to do the best no matter what we did. He doesn't like lazy people.''

Or those that get out of line as Xavier discovered in the second grade.

''I was acting up in class and I remember my teacher tried reaching my mom and my grandma but none of them answered,'' Xavier said. ``I begged her not to call [my dad] because it was the middle of the football season. He came and picked me up.......[and] just went off about how he was supposed to be breaking down film and how he was wasting time to come pick me up. He took me home and gave me a spanking before he took me back to school. I was miserable the whole day. It was the only butt whooping I ever needed.''

That, he says, is about as far as Randy's role as a father extended. By the time he was a teenager, Xavier said their relationship grew into something he describes as "a brother relationship, more than father-son.''

Xavier, and others, have noticed similarities in the two Shannons since the son arrived at UM. From their looks to the way they walk to food they eat (spicy white chicken meat from Popeye's).

''At times at night, I'll look over at him and I'll swear Coach Shannon is in my house,'' offensive lineman Reggie Youngblood, Xavier's roommate, said. ``It's scary.''

Youngblood said Xavier also is building the same reputation Randy had for being a prankster during his UM playing days.

''I remember guys like Ray Lewis and C.J. Richardson coming to my house and telling us how my Dad used to go out and eat with them and when they would leave the table, he'd put salt and pepper or hot sauce in their drinks,'' Xavier said. "It doesn't surprise me. This is the same guy who, when I was asleep at home, would come in and start beating on the wall real loud just to scare me.''

FITTING IN

Despite the antics, Xavier Shannon said he hasn't had any trouble fitting in with his new teammates. But he has come to learn being the coach's son means plenty of ribbing from teammates. This summer, running back Javarris James and safety Randy Phillips annoyed him by introducing him to waitresses at Hooters as Randy Shannon's son. In fall practices, offensive linemen Chris Rutledge and Youngblood have asked him to ``go give your daddy a hug so practice can end quicker.''

The irony is father and son aren't into emotional embraces to begin with. ''Maybe he does it behind closed doors, but I've never seen him [cry],'' Xavier said. "And if you hug him, he'll look at you like you're crazy. I'm not really the affectionate type either. I think it's a Shannon thing.''

Randy Shannon, whose father was murdered when he was 3 and who lost three older siblings to drug addictions and AIDS, said a life without emotion is the way he grew up. ''Life was always tough on me,'' he said. "[Xavier] knows I love him and I care about him, but I'm not into the hugging. It makes you stronger when you got to deal with other things in life.''

XAVIER'S FUTURE

As for his life, Xavier said there's a chance he could one day follow his father's footsteps into coaching. But he says he's not giving it any thought until after the season. ''The only thing he's always told me and my sister is that no matter what we do in life, do what what we want to do and make sure we're the best at it,'' Xavier said.

"And right now, all I'm worried about is that first game. I want to win a national championship and pour the Gatorade on him. Then, maybe we'd hug. And maybe, maybe he'd cry.''
 8 years ago '05        #4299
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
i went to high school with this dude...i never liked him cuz he had this attitude like he was almost anti um...i remember him walking around saying how um was gonna lose to ohio state...and i was just like how the fu*k u gonna say that when your dad is the freaking defensive coordinator.

Last edited by Deeangoe; 08-26-2008 at 06:03 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #4300
1000bluntz 
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
i went to high school with this dude...i never liked him cuz he had this attitude like he was almost anti um...i remember him walking around saying how um was gonna lose to ohio state...and i was just like how the fu*k u gonna say that when your dad is the freaking defensive coordinator.
That's fu*king hilarious. Kid either really hated his dad or really hated Miami at some point. Pretty funny little story, though. Although I think it's petty to hate somebody because they don't like your favorite team. I'm a diehard Gator fan but don't hate people if they like FSU or you guys. I have plenty of friends who can't stand UF but they still cool peoples.
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
160 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Best Buy Buy 2 Get 1 Free 12/4/16-12/10/16
50 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
108 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Why Derrick Rose Got Injured, Scientifically
59 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Blackberry Byke
40 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
39 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy