most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
48 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
87 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #4201
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 586 586
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- It went by fast, but Miami cornerback Bruce Johnson is entering his final season at UM this year.

Johnson is UM's most experienced returning cornerback and he is expected to be a solid starter this season and be a lockdown man-to-man defender this year.

Johnson started eight games last season and recorded the only interception of his career. He has started 12 games over his career at UM.

How excited are you for the upcoming season?

"I am real excited to see us prove ourselves this year. We have been working real hard on offense, defense and special teams. I think we are gelling together right now and I feel that if we keep it going, the sky is the limit for us this coming year."

What do you think is the biggest thing that is different about you this year?

"I know last year coming in I had a lot of confidence, but now my confidence is sky high. I feel that now my confidence is high and I am keeping energy up for my teammates during seven-on-seven or during workouts. If all of us can feed off each other and keep the intensity and energy going, then it is going to be scary what we can do this season."

"This is my last year and I know the ins and outs of what I need to do and now that I know everything, I can just play free out there. I can use my talent with the new scheme we have and trust in the scheme. I feel that I can have somebody to count on now because I get confidence from my teammates now."

Has it hit you yet that this will be your last season here?

"It has entered my mind, just reminiscing on what it was like when I first got here. It flew by quick, but I can't go back in the past and I just have to control right now and that is to help this team and help us be as successful as we can."

How much have you matured while being here since your freshman year?

"I feel like I have matured a lot since my freshman year coming in. That is something all freshmen go through. We have to mature and grow up as men. I think being around these coaches helps us a lot with maturing and knowing what is wrong and what is right as men. Being around this atmosphere is helping me mature as a person."

What do you feel like is the strength of the defense?

"Our strength right now is that we are all connected together and we are a lot cooler with each other. That is a big part of playing well on the field. You can't have guys out there who don't communicate. That will mess everything up. We have a bunch of guys who are cool with each other and if we get on each other, it is to help you out, so we can be better together."

How much has Demarcus Van Dke improved since last year?

"He could start for any school I think. Demarcus is real smart and he has real good ball skills. He has the potential to do great things around here. I really feel good about him this season."

"He is getting experience and a year older now. He is calmed down and has got the freshman jitters out. With taking everything in and learning the new system, he is doing fine and I think he will be a real big help to our team coming up."

What did you see from Brandon Harris this summer?

"I saw a lot of hard work when we were running. In the weight room he was always enthusiastic and up-beat. When we go out there for seven-on-seven he is always right there with us older guys trying to learn something from us. That is what freshmen need to do is just come here and try and learn as much as possible right away. He has done a great job of doing that."
 8 years ago '04        #4202
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Usually by this time of fall camp, it's already apparent who the starting wide receivers will be in the first game of the season.

But so many wide receivers have produced on different days during the first week of fall camp that the wide receiver position battle is still wide open.

Wide receiver coach Aubrey Hill says at this point he doesn't have a receiver who has separated from the pack as being the number one guy. Right now he has a solid group of players who each contribute on different days.

"As of right now it is like a receiver group by committee," wide receivers coach Aubrey Hill said. "At the same time, as coaches we always have to adjust. We will sit down and if a guy is really starting to separate himself, then he might be our go-to guy. As of right now we are going to have a receiver group by committee and try to find those guys that can run specific routes and make plays for us."

With the influx of freshmen Miami brought in with their 2008 recruiting class, UM has the most depth at wide receiver in quite some time.

Miami brought in seven wide receivers in the latest recruiting class. With the group of freshmen combined with the five receivers already on the roster, the wide receiver unit is one of the deepest on the team.

Head Coach Randy Shannon expects four players to receive playing time at wide receiver this year and receivers coach Aubrey Hill says the freshmen have been key during fall camp because of the competition they bring to the unit.

"They really have helped this group, just with bringing the speed and bringing the athleticism and a hunger to the group," Hill said. "Those are things that really have helped us get better with so many guys pushing the older guys."

Veteran receivers Sam Shields, Kayne Farquharson, Jermaine McKenzie, Leonard Hankerson, and Khalil Jones are definitely more seasoned at this point in fall camp compared to the freshmen, but Coach Hill is quick to say no starting position has been decided.

"Nobody has got a position. Nobody has a job just sewn up. Everybody has to come out and practice better and then we will evaluate it after the scrimmages as a coaching staff. All freshmen have been pushing the older guys because everyday there is a new freshman making a big play."

"Those guys have been very good as far as having leadership and showing the freshmen what to do. They give them a little taste of what I am going to be like and how I get after them pretty good. They made sure to forewarn them to make sure you run to every drill and get in your playbook."

THE FRESHMEN

Freshmen LaRon Byrd and Travis Benjamin are the two receivers who have garnered the most buzz during the first week of fall camp and been scoring the most touchdowns of any of the receivers in the group.

Byrd (6-4, 215) is a receiver who is a strong vertical threat because of his size and straight-line speed. He is a big target downfield that will go up and f!ght for balls while they are in the air. Hill says he is impressed with Byrd's maturity as a freshman.

"[He is mature] not only on the field, but in the meeting room," Hill said. "He is a smart kid, he has his playbook open and asking questions. It is not like it is brand new to him it is not like it is a new language like it is with most freshmen. He is very physical and he has a presence about him. You know he is in the game and he is going full speed."

Benjamin (5-10, 165) has been a playmaker this fall camp because of his elite speed. He claims to have been timed at a 4.26 in the 40 this summer by strength coach Andreu Swasey. Benjamin has proved to be a deep threat down the field and a receiver who can take a quick pass and make defenders miss.

"He is clearly one of the fastes [receivers I have coached]," Hill said. "I haven't put a clock on him as far as that goes, but he can run as fast as he needs to. For example: if there is a 4.4 or 4.3 defensive back chasing him down, he will run as fast as he needs to so that he can score. He is very electrifying."

Coach Hill talked briefly about some of the other freshmen receivers and how what type of skills they have shown him early in fall camp.

"I have seen Davon make some touchdown passes, Kendal, also Thearon is making touchdown catches, and even Streeter," Hill said. "We are getting them a lot of reps and we have been doing a phenomenal job as far as getting these guys reps."

Davon Johnson: "D.J. is a very fast kid. He has been banged up a little bit, but he is good now."

Aldarius Johnson: "To me, you know he is a freshman, but he is a returning guy from the spring and he has picked off from where he left off."

Tommy Streeter: "Big, tall kid who can run. He has been doing a good job catching the ball and everything."

Kendal Thompkins: "He has been doing a great job catching passes for us and he is lighting quick also."
 8 years ago '04        #4203
booie4 
space
space
Scrimmage recap

Although we the media only got to see eight plays of Saturday night's opening scrimmage of the fall (rapper Luther Campbell and about 300 other guests got to see it all), Randy Shannon and his players shared some of the highlights from it with us after it was over (CLICK HERE FOR THE AUDIO).

> Shannon said the team had a situational scrimmage focusing on the two-minute drill and said he rested a lot of his veteran guys. "We treated it like it was a preseason game," Shannon said.

497harris02_northwestern_sptsembedd
"The quarterbacks looked good," Shannon said. "They didn't turn the ball over. So, that was good. When you don't turn the ball over you have an opportunity to win the game. Those guys did a good job with that and we're excited about that."

Offensive tackle Jason Fox said the quarterbacks didn't show any timidness. "They've always seemed comfortable since camp started," Fox said. "I haven't seen any timidness. They don't act scared at all."

Fox said there were several presnap penalties, though, in the red zone that k!lled offensive drives.

"We had I think two jumps before the snaps and a couple of other penalties, where we had receivers lined up on the line or tight ends, I don't know the exact call, but they pushed us pack," receiver Kayne Farquharson said.

> Shannon said running backs Javarris James and Graig Cooper didn't participate in more than 5 to 10 plays, giving senior Derron Thomas most of the work.

"Derron Thomas did a lot of good things tonight. He ran the ball well, caught the ball well, protected well, he's the guy that stood up in the run game," Shannon said.

> The offense scored two touchdowns and made two of three field goal attempts according to coaches and players. Shannon praised the play of the tight ends, estimating that they made about five catches.

> 467241mFreshman receiver Davon Johnson had the highlight of the night, going skyward and pulling in a touchdown pass over two defenders on about a 20-yard pass by Robert Marve. "My job was to block the safety and get about two steps in front of him and about two steps up the field," Johnson explained of his touchdown catch. "Robert Marve threw the ball and then I made a big play. It was like a jump ball and I took it off one of the defenders heads and took two steps into the end zone."

> Chris Zellner scored the other touchdown on a short pass from Jacory Harris.

> Shannon said the receivers "caught the ball well pretty decent, not well." And he estimated about two drops including a big play in which tight end Richard Gordon was stripped of the ball by safety Ryan Hill. Gordon supposedly made up for it with a nice 15-20-yard catch down field. "It was unbelievable," Shannon said.

> Defensively, the Canes didn't create any turnovers, but Shannon said there were about four sacks. Players told us redshirt freshman Adewale Ojomo (READ HIS STORY) had two of them. Freshman defensive tackle Micanor Regis and sophomore Joe Joseph also supposedly had a sack.

Fox said the offensive line did a good job but that "we need to focus on picking up run blitzes better." He said Orlando Franklin replaced the injured Chris Barney with the first team. "But I know A.J. Trump got some reps there in the too," Fox said. "They were trying some guys at new positions. Matt Pipho even played some left tackle today. And he did real well from what I've seen. Coach Stoutland is just trying to get a feel for everybody is at."

> Shannon told reporters defensive tackles Marcus Forston and Antonio Dixon and safety Anthony Redd*ck will be back at practice Monday. "The other guys are still rehabbing and stuff like that," Shannon said, likely referring to defensive ends Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey. "When they come back they won't be full go. Eric will probably do some things Monday, but he won't be all the way to toe. He'll be eased back into it."

> Kicker Matt Bosher said he connected on a field goal within 35 yards and attempted and missed a 54-yard field goal. Walkon Alex Uribe also connected on a 38-yard field goal. Jake Wieclaw made an extra point.

"I just kept it out a little bit left and it didn't come back in for me," Bosher said of the miss.

> Cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke said he thought he had a good day with a few tackles and a pass breakup. He talked about Hill's strip on Gordon and a tackle made by Carlos Armour on Daniel Adderley. "I think our secondary is getting real physical," DVD said of the DBs.

DeMarcus said he was with the ones and twos along with Bruce Johnson, Chavez Grant and Brandon Harris. The safeties were Randy Phillips, Joseph Nicholas, Ryan Hill and Lovon Ponder.
 8 years ago '04        #4204
booie4 
space
space
The Hurricanes held the first of three night situational scrimmages Saturday at Cobb Field, where all three quarterbacks saw work.

Coach Randy Shannon wouldn't talk specifically about his quarterbacks, other than to say they all did well, and he was happy there weren't any turnovers. He did praise his running backs and singled out senior Derron Thomas.

''We got a lot of work done and ran some two-minute drills,'' Shannon said. ``The running backs did a good job. . . . Derron Thomas did a lot of good things. He ran the ball well. He caught the ball well and protected well. He's the guy who stood up in the running game.''

Shannon also was pleased in the work from his receivers, especially tight end Richard Gordon.

UM scored at least two or three times, according to Shannon.

Shannon also said UM's defense came up with four sacks, adding he rested ``a lot of veteran guys. We played them early and then rested and treated them like it was a preseason game.
 8 years ago '04        #4205
booie4 
space
space
Growing up in a home with 12 brothers and sisters, University of Miami offensive lineman A.J. Trump learned early in life about making the most of his opportunities -- especially when it came to grabbing stuff out of the fridge.

''I got beat up a lot by my older brothers,'' said Trump, the middle child of a group of eight brothers and four sisters. ``And most of the f!ghts were over food. It was survival. It kind of got me ready for college.''

Trump, who has spent the better part of his first three years at Miami idled by a knee injury, might finally be ready to f!ght for the Canes.

Even before fellow redshirt junior Chris Barney sustained a serious injury Thursday that is expected to keep him out at least two to three months, Trump was figuring into offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland's plans.

Since camp began Aug. 2, Trump, who is 6-3 and 300 pounds, has been receiving snaps with the first and second teams at all three linemen spots.

''I call him The Trump Card,'' said Stoutland, whose offensive line is considered to be the strength of Miami's team this season. ``He's very important to what we're trying to do. He's going to play during the season. He's proven he can be on the field.''

Trump came to Miami -- after choosing the Canes over Notre Dame and Florida -- with high expectations.

An all-state selection at Clearwater Central Catholic, Trump started at tackle on offense (grading out at 91 percent) and defense (81 tackles and 10 sacks), and he even played fullback and middle linebacker during his senior year after UM teammate Colin McCarthy sustained an injury.

He was selected to play in the CaliFlorida Bowl All-Star game and was tabbed by Rivals.com as the nation's eighth-best guard.

A SLOW START

But he has been unable to get his career at Miami going. After playing well on the scout team in 2005, Trump moved into the backup role at center and guard and played in five games -- primarily mop-up duty -- in 2006.

He was inching closer to the starting lineup near the end of the 2006 season, when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Trump tried to come back last year, but admits, ''I think I tried to come back a little early and it wound up setting me back.'' But now, he said, ``I feel like a freshman again.''

''Some people kind of forgot about him,'' said left tackle Jason Fox, who along with centers Xavier Shannon and Matt Pipho are the closest guys on the team to Trump.

``A.J. is a really big competitor. He cares a lot and he's a really good athlete, too. And you can tell he's really versatile because he can change from all those positions without skipping a beat. It's fun to have him back.''

Stoutland said Trump also can be a lot of fun to deal with off the field. Stoutland said he has been challenged by Trump during team study sessions in the film room, but ''not in a disrespectful way.'' Stoutland said he wouldn't be surprised if Trump ends up coaching after college.

''When he's learning concepts, he'll challenge me at times. But I like it,'' Stoutland said. ``His best attribute is that he's so smart. He's in the right position all the time. His presnap reads are amazing.''

That can be good -- and bad. Fox said Trump gets so involved in studying presnap reads, he turns into a facilitator on the field. Usually, Stoutland said, that is when he has to step in and tell him to relax.

''He cares so much, sometimes he goes overboard,'' Fox said. ``Sometimes, you got to make calls out there and sometimes Coach Stoutland gets on him for calling too much stuff, describing the play at the line instead of making a few basic calls. But it's good too because you know how much he loves the game and that he's excited to go.''

It might take a while to figure out where Trump ends up this season.

In practice, he has been working mostly at right guard behind sophomore Joel Figueroa.

But Trump said he is still taking a few snaps behind Orlando Franklin at left guard, and even a few behind Shannon at center.

STAYING FRESH

Stoutland, who likes rotating players to keep them fresh, said the plan is to plug Trump in wherever he can to spell others.

''The thing about a lot of guys is that they have trouble switching stances,'' Trump said. ``I'm a natural lefty, so the left guard is easy. Right guard, I'm learning right now. I'd love to compete at center, but if my role is to play both guard and make sure Orlando and Fig get enough rest, that's what I'll do.''

Last year, UM had Chris Rutledge rotating at left and right tackle behind starters Fox and Reggie Youngblood. Trump could do the same at guard. It is a philosophy Stoutland, in his second year, said is necessary for longevity and success.

''[Having a rotation] helps guys get to the end of the season without bald tires,'' Stoutland said. ``Down here, the humidity takes a lot out of you. You need guys who can go in for a few series and help guys stay fresh. But we can't do it if there's a dropoff. A.J. doesn't give us a dropoff at all.''
 8 years ago '04        #4206
booie4 
space
space
University of Miami coach Randy Shannon a.ssured reporters this week he would let them know when Allen Bailey and Eric Moncur, the team's projected starting defensive ends, are healthy enough to return.

But one way to tell might be to look at how dirty, sweaty and tired redshirt freshman Adewale Ojomo is after practice. The 6-3, 250-pound defensive end from Hialeah High has been sharing what has become a heavy workload at end with a small group of first- and second-year players since fall practice began a week ago.

And if Moncur or Bailey are not back by the Aug. 28 season opener, that load should get even heavier.

''We need Allen Bailey,'' said Ojomo, who was slated to start the season behind Moncur at right end. "Right now, we're going out there, taking a lot of reps. We need him to come in to take some of the reps so we can rest a little bit and last the season. Eric is a big leader on the D-line in general. If he's not healthy, we'll go without him. But we really could use him.''

LIMITED AVAILABILITY

With Courtney Harris out for the season, Moncur and Bailey limited to conditioning drills and incoming freshman Gavin Hardin unable to begin practice until next week, Ojomo, sophomore Steven Wesley and true freshmen Andrew Smith and Marcus Robinson are the only available ends for Saturday night's scrimmage.

Shannon, though, said the shortage at end has been good for his young players.

''If he's seeing the same things 1,000 times, all he can do is get better,'' Shannon said.

Consider Ojomo the guy UM's staff hopes to see the most growth from. Last year, while Miami's defensive line struggled to create much of a pass rush or stop the run, Ojomo earned top defensive honors on the scout team.

UM offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland said Ojomo was ''relentless coming off the edge'' in practices.

''Ask Jason Fox, and he'll tell you how much Ojomo made him a lot better,'' Stoutland said.

It looked as if it might take Ojomo, the cousin of Dolphins linebacker Akin Ayodele, some time to put on the weight needed to play in college. On National Signing Day, Ojomo wore a suit and tie and looked more like a receiver, at 212 pounds, than a defensive end. But by the time he arrived on UM's campus a few months later, he was up to 234 pounds. In the past year, Ojomo said, he has added 16 pounds of muscle.

''Adewale is a very serious demeanor kid,'' UM defensive line coach Clint Hurtt said. ``He doesn't joke around. He doesn't play a lot. Sometimes, he's such a serious guy he may turn off certain people. He's a lot more mountain man -- to himself, elusive. Adewale has an edge about him. As a coach, I appreciate that because sometimes you need guys like that. He's not afraid to tell his teammates to step up their game.''

VERSATILE ATHLETE

Former Hialeah coach Steve Smith, now at Miami k!llian High, said Ojomo was the same in high school and liked to set examples with his athleticism. Ojomo, whose father is Nigerian, grew up in Miami Gardens with his mother and said he began playing football at age 9. At Hialeah High, Ojomo started at small forward on the basketball team and played defensive end, linebacker and tight end for Smith.

Hurtt, who compared Ojomo to former Hurricane Jamaal Green, said the only area Ojomo needs to improve ''is his feet.'' Hurtt said he would like a rotation of five players at defensive end, but he expects Ojomo to ``come in and be a key contributor.''

''He's a high-motor kid,'' Hurtt said. ``He's gotten a lot better rushing the passer. He was already a very strong kid coming in the door in the run game. He's got great explosion, great hands. . . . All those offensive linemen keep coming up, talking about him.''
 8 years ago '04        #4207
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami held their first scrimmage of fall practices today. Read on to find out more.

SHANNON OPENING STATEMENT

"We had a situational scrimmage today. It was pretty good and we got a lot of work done. We had some two minute drills. The running backs did a good job of running the ball. We didn't play Javarris and Cooper that much at all. We probably played them five or ten plays, so it wasn't that much work."

NEWS & NOTES

? Davon Johnson made the play of the scrimmage with a 20-40 yard touchdown reception from Robert Marve in which he fought for a ball while it was in the air with a defensive back and was able to come down with it in the end-zone.

"It was a jump ball and I took it off the top of one of the defender's head and I took about two steps into the end-zone," Johnson said.

Johnson could receive a significant amount of playing time as a freshman this season because of his speed.

"My speed is still working for me [on the college level]," Johnson said. "If you are fast, then you are always fast. I am not the biggest guy and I am not the strongest guy, but a lot of defensive backs will respect you if you have speed."

? Tight end Chris Zellner scored the other touchdown of the night for the offense in the red-zone.

? Shannon said the quarterbacks performed well in the scrimmage because they did not commit any turnovers. "They looked pretty good. They didn't turn the ball over, so that was good. When you don't turn the ball over, you have an opportunity to win games. If we don't turn the ball over and we cut down on the penalties, then we will be fine."

? Running back Derron Thomas did not score any touchdowns, but he broke "a couple of long runs," he said.

"Derron Thomas did a good job today," Head Coach Randy Shannon said. "He ran the ball well, caught the ball well, and protected the ball well. He is a guy who stood out in the running game."

Thomas, a senior, is going through the final fall camp of his UM career. "I am just glad to be here and everything is going good," Thomas said. I am working hard and just running behind the O-line and taking the holes they give me."

? Safety Ryan Hill stripped tight end Richard Gordon on a potential big play, but Shannon says he was more impressed by the way Gordon regrouped after the blunder. "Richard Gordon had an opportunity to make a big play and Ryan Hill got the ball out, but then [Gordon] came back and caught a nice 15-20 yard pass down the field and it was unbelievable.

"The tight ends caught about five passes tonight and did a nice job running without the ball."

? Matt Bosher made two field goals within 40 yards during the scrimmage. He attempted a 54-yard field goal, but did not convert.

? Defensive tackle Micanor Regis had two sacks during the scrimmage, defensive end Adewale Ojomo had a sack, and defensive end Marcus Robinson had multiple tackles for loss. DeMarcus Van Dke broke up one pass.

? Defensive tackles Antonio Dixon and Marcus Forston and safety Anthony Redd*ck are all expected to return and participate fully in practice Monday according to Shannon. Defensive ends Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey will be "eased back into it" on Monday, but won't participate fully. Defensive end Gavin Hardin was in his jersey and helmet, but he was not fully dressed.

? RB Jaamal Berry, LB Phil Walker, RB Jason Douglas, DB Artice Kellam, and 2010 S Gideon Ajagbe were among the recruits in attendance.
 8 years ago '04        #4208
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Expectations are high for freshman cornerback Brandon Harris and slowly, but surely he's starting to make his mark in the secondary as he's already broken his way into the second unit.

In Saturday night's scrimmage, he said there were some nerves and jitters, but he got better as the scrimmage went on.

"It was a real good experience for me, my first scrimmage in college. I had a little bit of nerves at first, but I sort of filled into it as it went on. I will adjust from there and make some corrections for the next one," Harris said. "It's a lot different cause you know a scrimmage is more of a game mode. There are a lot of emotions flying. Nerves are flaring. It makes it that much harder."

He came up with a couple of pass break ups and gave up one completion in some tight coverage, but Harris said the secondary didn't come up with any turnovers Saturday night.

"It went good. It was exciting. We got a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball, but we got some good things accomplished that our coaches complimented us on about, but we still got some things to do and pick it up tomorrow," Harris said. "I feel like I performed well tonight, but I know I got to keep working, work on my technique, fill in better and play a little harder for the team."

"I had some pretty tight coverage on a couple of passes. I had one where it was caught on the sideline. A couple of others I was in pretty good position when the quarterback was trying to throw the ball."

Harris confirmed that he is currently on the second unit, but he's the first corner off the bench in what the 'Canes call the "Bandit" package which is a nickel formation.

"Right now I am on the second unit on defense, but I am on the first bandit package which is like nickel situations and things like that, playing the slot receiver," Harris said. "I am liking it. I am adjusting to it and feeling good about it right now."

However, Harris admits there is an adjustment period that people don't understand beyond the speed of the game.

"It's a bigger difference than a lot of people may think. The game speed is different and just learning the system, it's a more complicated system and you have to adjust to things more on the offense. In high school it was just line up and play. In college you have to know what's in front of you," Harris said.

On the Quarterbacks
Harris commented on the quarterback play as well as it's his job to read the eyes of the quarterbacks.

"They are all throwing the ball so well you don't know who is in the game. They are challenging well," Harris said.

On the freshmen class

"The freshmen are doing good, stepping in playing ball. Everyone wants to come in and contribute," Harris said.

On the playbook from high school to college

"It's a lot thicker. We put in a new stack everyday," Harris said.

On big plays Saturday

"Oh yeah, we had a couple of big catches, deep balls for touchdowns. I know Davon (Johnson) had a big catch for a touchdown. Laron Byrd had a great catch down the sideline, but it was out of bounds," Harris said.
 8 years ago '05        #4209
booker20 
space
space
$10,295 | Props total: 0 0
thats some bullsh*t... I dont like n*ggas that play games and let other people force they hands... how u drop a team and then let people tell u that thats where u need to be....
McGee said. "My uncle pressures me every day about going to Miami."
 8 years ago '04        #4210
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,027 | Props total: 2227 2227
 booker20 said:
thats some bullsh*t... I dont like n*ggas that play games and let other people force they hands... how u drop a team and then let people tell u that thats where u need to be....
That's the worst part of recruiting, n*ggas can't be straight up about sh*t. Kids who play games are usually some hoes so I don't try to sweat it but it's still fu*ked up.
 8 years ago '06        #4211
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,597 | Props total: 12031 12031
ya its fu*ked up will take it tho :)

after the PJ fiasco last year nothing is in writing until the letter is SIGNED!

8 years ago '05        #4212
booker20 
space
space
$10,295 | Props total: 0 0
 P. Dedos said:
ya its fu*ked up will take it tho :)

after the PJ fiasco last year nothing is in writing until the letter is SIGNED!

How TJ did us last year was much worse than PJ... but fu*k em all... we'll regroup
 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM         #4213
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Hurricanes didn't have to go far for their newest commitment.

Lauderhill (FL) Plantation High School DB Brandon McGee announced moments ago that he will be attending the University of Miami.

After thanking his family members and coaches along with college coaches that recruited him, he made his announcement.

"It's the moment you've all been waiting for," McGee said. Then he put on a Hurricane hat. And his family members put on Cane hats as well.

McGee's decision was highly anticipated. And the drama built after he publicly said Aug. 2 that he had ruled out the Canes.

Turns out McGee was just having fun with everyone. He put the Canes back in the race shortly after ruling them out.

McGee says a big reason he chose UM is his relationship with coaches.

Jeff Stoutland was his primary recruiter.

"He just builds our relationship, asks how I'm doing," McGee said. "He talks a lot of football, and sometimes we shy away from the football and just talk about how life is going. A lot of recruiters, sometimes their main focus is football, and some do shy away from football and want to know how I'm doing. I like that: If football's the only thing a recruiter talks about, in my eyes I see that's why they really want me, don't really want me as a person."

McGee also built a relationship with head coach Randy Shannon.

"Coach Shannon, he was talking to me about their needs at the cornerback position," McGee said. "He was telling me everything about the past players at the University of Miami, talking more to get to know me instead of just about football. Coach Shannon's a real cool dude. I could tell just from talking to him that he actually cares for his players."

McGee lists over 30 scholarship offers. It's a testament to his tremendous ability.

"I've been around a lot of great kids, and this is one of the best I've ever coached," Plantation High coach Steve Davis said. "A lot of great schools recruited him."

Last year McGee played quarterback in seven games (he missed three due to injury) and had 1,100 passing yards with 13 touchdowns. He also rushed for 450 yards and three more scores. A 6-foot-0, 180-pounder who was timed at 4.38 seconds in the 40 at the Florida State summer camp, he expects to play defensive back at UM.

"My coach always jokes with me about playing like (West Virginia's) Pat White," McGee said. "We can run the spread offense, so he calls me Pat White."

McGee's family is certainly on board with his decision to attend Miami.

"My whole family loves Miami," McGee said. "My uncle pressures me every day about going to Miami."

McGee hopes to be able to graduate high school early in order to arrive at UM in January.

* McGee's first cousin, Cedric McGee, plays for Pittsburgh.
 8 years ago '06        #4214
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
4.38:applause::applause::applause:
 8 years ago '04        #4215
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
good pickup, the class is shaping up to be really nice

a brandon harris/brandon mcgee/ramon buchanon/vaughn telemaque secondary of the future sounds nice

but we gotta win games this year and show tremendous improvement to keep these guys on board
 8 years ago '06        #4216
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '04        #4217
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
haven't been here in a while...work has me caught up

great pick up on McGee. I always thought he was gonna leave the state. Randy is doing great things in recruiting this season man!

August 11, 2008

CaneSport.com Publisher

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

The Hurricanes didn't have to go far for their newest commitment.

Lauderhill (FL) Plantation High School DB Brandon McGee announced moments ago that he will be attending the University of Miami.

After thanking his family members and coaches along with college coaches that recruited him, he made his announcement.

"It's the moment you've all been waiting for," McGee said. Then he put on a Hurricane hat. And his family members put on Cane hats as well.

McGee's decision was highly anticipated. And the drama built after he publicly said Aug. 2 that he had ruled out the Canes.

Turns out McGee was just having fun with everyone. He put the Canes back in the race shortly after ruling them out.

McGee says a big reason he chose UM is his relationship with coaches.

Jeff Stoutland was his primary recruiter.

"He just builds our relationship, asks how I'm doing," McGee said. "He talks a lot of football, and sometimes we shy away from the football and just talk about how life is going. A lot of recruiters, sometimes their main focus is football, and some do shy away from football and want to know how I'm doing. I like that: If football's the only thing a recruiter talks about, in my eyes I see that's why they really want me, don't really want me as a person."

McGee also built a relationship with head coach Randy Shannon.

"Coach Shannon, he was talking to me about their needs at the cornerback position," McGee said. "He was telling me everything about the past players at the University of Miami, talking more to get to know me instead of just about football. Coach Shannon's a real cool dude. I could tell just from talking to him that he actually cares for his players."

McGee lists over 30 scholarship offers. It's a testament to his tremendous ability.

"I've been around a lot of great kids, and this is one of the best I've ever coached," Plantation High coach Steve Davis said. "A lot of great schools recruited him."

Last year McGee played quarterback in seven games (he missed three due to injury) and had 1,100 passing yards with 13 touchdowns. He also rushed for 450 yards and three more scores. A 6-foot-0, 180-pounder who was timed at 4.38 seconds in the 40 at the Florida State summer camp, he expects to play defensive back at UM.

"My coach always jokes with me about playing like (West Virginia's) Pat White," McGee said. "We can run the spread offense, so he calls me Pat White."

McGee's family is certainly on board with his decision to attend Miami.

"My whole family loves Miami," McGee said. "My uncle pressures me every day about going to Miami."

McGee hopes to be able to graduate high school early in order to arrive at UM in January.

* McGee's first cousin, Cedric McGee, plays for Pittsburgh.
 8 years ago '04        #4218
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
August 11, 2008

Mike Farrell
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Three-star cornerback Taylor Sowell had long been a commitment for the Tar Heels. The 5-foot-10, 187-pounder recently backed out of his pledge and is beginning to look at other options.

Sowell is looking at Georgia Tech, Miami and West Virginia now.
"I decommitted a few days back," he said. "What happened was that I went to Georgia Tech and North Carolina didn't want me to. We parted ways and I decided to back off my commitment. I'm not really looking at North Carolina anymore.

"Now I'm going to look at Miami, West Virginia and Georgia Tech."

Sowell went on about his trip to Atlanta.

"It was pretty good," he said. "I liked the campus and facilities. The weight room was pretty good. I got to talk to one of the coaches. It was a good visit."

The No. 48 cornerback in the country talked about Miami and West Virginia too.

"I've been talking to them on and off recently," he said. "I like both of them. West Virginia is a top school that is always going to bowl games. Miami is a respectable school to go to. I plan to visit both of them and make my decision soon about what school I want to go to."

What does Sowell want in a college?

"I just want to look for a good degree, a school that cares and somewhere I can get playing time," he said. "I like to play in big games against good competition."
 8 years ago '04        #4219
booie4 
space
space
The first week of practice is done and there have been some standouts on the field, especially from the freshmen class.

Players like LaRon Byrd and Travis Benjamin have been the common name that has come out of coach Randy Shannon's mouth even though he generally does not specify players that he is happy with or ever indicates performances that were noteworthy.

Saturday, the name of note was Davon Johnson who made some big plays in the team's first scrimmage of the year.

So who are the players that we expect breakout seasons from in no particular order?

LaRon Byrd, WR - The special thing about LaRon Byrd is his humility. Throughout his recruitment one of the things Byrd said was that he had no problem redshirting his first year. After a week of sensational play on the field, there isn't a question that Byrd and a redshirt year will not be happening. He's fluid, he's strong and he is proving to be a guy who makes plays. And he wears #47. Byrd is a special player and he's going to have a big year.

DeMarcus Van Dke, CB - Van Dke was a slim pup last year who got plenty of experience his freshman year. Now, he's a veteran who has high expectations. Going through the growing pains he experienced last year were something that will prove to be big for the Hurricanes defense. It's rare that a corner at Miami is a three or four year starter, but Van Dke has the chance to be that. And this year should make for a special one where he establishes himself as one of the top corners in the ACC.

Marcus Forston, DT - Forston has been held out of practice the last few days because he's lost excessive weight which begs the question. Could he eventually become a defensive end? For people who have seen Forston in person, he's not the biggest guy. He came in to UM weighing about 300 pounds or so and in the intense heat, there is no doubt he could drop 10-15 pounds and be down to the 285 range when the season begins. Either way, he's going to be relied upon a lot and get a lot of reps as a freshman. The biggest concern will be his weight and if he hits a wall battling much bigger offensive linemen inside. If he drops too much weight, he could even up being a defensive end. Either way, Forston could have a magical freshman year.

Javarris James, RB - Javarris James struggled through injuries last year which prevented him from having a good sophomore season following a strong freshman year. As long as he stays healthy, James should re-emerge as a force in the offense. Not to mention the fact that he's become a very good pass catching option and can play in the slot as well. A healthy James means big things for the 'Canes offense. As long as he remains healthy, he could definitely challenge for 1,000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving.

Travis Benjamin, WR - Benjamin may not get a lot of work at receiver this year because there is such a glut at the position, but he's going to be a master in kick and punt returns. Blazing fast, Benjamin has the moves, the speed and the quickness to make the 'Canes matter on Special Teams again the way Devin Hester, Roscoe Parrish, Phillips Buchanon, and Santana Moss did in years past.
 8 years ago '04        #4220
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- With all the new wide receivers that are creating fireworks on the field for the University of Miami through the first week of Fall practice, people are forgetting about the older guys on the team.

The main guy who has been forgotten is Kayne Farquharson who has quietly become probably the most consistent receiver on the team.

After a strong Spring, Farquharson has brought that success into the Fall as he says he's averaging three to four catches per practice in team workouts.

Saturday in the first scrimmage of the Fall, he caught three passes. It just goes back to what he wants to be as a receiver and that's consistent.

"I came far (since last year). You know last year started off slow, got my feet wet, then had an injury and it slowed things down. Just being consistent, that's the biggest difference from last year. Catching the ball every time. Every scrimmage I catch about three or four passes, that's pretty much it for me," Farquharson said.

He is also happy with the way the offense is progressing, especially with the unit not committing any turnovers in Saturday night's scrimmage. He has also turned the page when it comes to last season.

"You know not to bring up last year, I want to focus on this year. We looked good today. You know, no turnovers, so that's always a good thing," Farquharson said. "We are moving the ball. We got down and kicked two field goals, so we were moving the ball. We really didn't get stopped that much."

Beyond that, he was complimentary on the play of the quarterbacks.

"All three quarterbacks looked good. They were driving down the field. As a unit the offense looked good," Farquharson said.

The scrimmage was also very physical according to Farquharson.

"The intensity level was high. The linebackers were flying around. The running backs were making moves. The receivers were catching big balls. The intensity was high," Farquharson said.

As one of the veteran receivers though, Farquharson has also been playing the role of mentor to the younger receivers, even though he himself while being a senior is only in his second year at UM.

"Most of these guys are football players, so you don't really have to teach these guys anything. You know just freshen them up on the offense a little bit, stay on them on their fundamentals. Guys who get recruited to Miami you really don't have to teach them too much," Farquharson said.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Single Mothers Infographic
230 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
85 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
8 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside FAST & FURIOUS 8 Trailer Teaser (2017) (Like the announcement for the a..
43 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Best Buy Buy 2 Get 1 Free 12/4/16-12/10/16
51 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
122 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside GTA Online: Import/Export coming December
46 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
180 comments
1 day ago