MMA UFC 206 Holloway vs. Pettis
506 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thickest first lady in US history
108 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Drake Has A “whatthef#ckgotdamn” Reaction After Dapping Up A SKrippa
54 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props
 9 years ago '06        #3921
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,730 | Props total: 12278 12278
good looks caneboi :rasta:
 9 years ago '04        #3922
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
 Cap Peeler said:
i had to cancel my rivals subscription :( i will be relying on you guys with news!!!

cane nation always strong i'm happy to see y'all still post on this
same here i dont have a rivals subscription, but i try to drop gems or articles from other sources here and there
 9 years ago '06        #3923
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
ESPN to televise UM vs. Gators Sept. 6

ESPN said Tuesday it will televise the University of Miami's football game against Florida in Gainesville at 8 p.m. Sept. 6. CBS could not televise it because it will be carrying U.S. Open tennis most of the day.

The game will be the first in a home-and-home series between the schools. The Gators will play the Hurricanes at Dolphin Stadium in 2013.

The Atlantic Coast Conference also announced that UM's opener against Charleston Southern on Aug. 28 will be distributed only on the Internet at espn360. The 7:30 p.m. game will be the Hurricanes' first at Dolphin Stadium.

No start time or TV information have been announced for UM's third game, Sept. 20 at Texas A&M.
 9 years ago '06        #3924
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
Early football TV info; baseball; recruiting

The latest email to arrive in my inbox has the television info for four of the Canes' 2008 football games. Here's the info...

Aug. 28, Charleston Southern at Miami (ESPN 360) 7:30 p.m.
Sept. 6, Miami at Florida (ESPN) 8 p.m.
Nov. 13, Virginia Tech at Miami (ESPN) 7:30 p.m.
Nov. 20, Miami at Georgia Tech (ESPN) 7:30 p.m.

FYI... The times for the Canes' baseball Super Regional against visiting Arizona this week are as follows -- Friday, 7 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, 7 p.m. (if necessary). I believe I'll be blogging live at Friday's game. Maybe I'll get a chance to speak with new athletic director Kirby Hocutt then as well.

For those of you wondering what I've been up to (aside from moving over the weekend), check out our recruiting coverage on The Herald's new Recruiting page. I wrote a feature on highly-touted Palmetto running back Jaamal Berry (who explains to us where he stands with the Canes) and American High defensive end and UM commitment Olivier Vernon. Also be sure to check out Larry Blustein's post spring football Top 25 rankings for Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. I believe the plan is to have at least one new feature up a day on our local kids. I'll also be doing features on national kids as time permits.
gotta love night games
 9 years ago '04        #3925
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Berry considering offers - including FSU, UF

[pic - click to view]

Jaamal Berry was watching Columbus High's spring intrasquad scrimmage two weeks ago when he ran into Miami-Dade County's all-time leading rusher Frank Gore.

It didn't take long for Berry, one of the nation's premier running backs in the Class of 2009, to challenge the former Coral Gables High and University of Miami grad with a friendly wager.

''I didn't tell him I was going to go after his record,'' said Berry, a 5-11, 193-pound running back from Palmetto Senior High who heads into his senior season with a list of 25 scholarship offers.

``I just told him that I was going to have more yards than his cousin [Columbus High 2010 standout Jakhari Gore] and [Killian's] Lamar Miller and that I'd was going to lead Dade in rushing this year. We had some fun joking about it. But I know deep down inside we all seriously want to win it.''

Berry, who ran for 1,033 yards and 14 touchdowns on 140 carries as a junior, will need to do a little better than he did last year if he wants to win that bet.

Last season, Miller (1,122 yards, 12 TDs on 165 carries), Southwest High's Hosey Williams (1,120 yards, 20 TDs on 134 attempts) and Gore (1,106 yards, 13 TDs on 114 attempts) each finished with more yardage than Berry amongst the top underclassmen in the county.

What Berry will not have to do anymore is worry about impressing college scouts. He did a great job of that when he dropped his 40-yard dash time from 4.43 seconds at a Nike Combine in February to a Devin Hester-like 4.31 a month later at a Scout.com combine inside the Dolphins' practice bubble in Davie.

''Everyone at the combine couldn't believe it. They went crazy and I was real happy,'' said Berry, whose video highlight package on YouTube includes a clip of him running the 40. ``I just felt like I was gliding on the ground.''

The blazing time helped Berry glide right up the nation's recruiting charts -- past Miller in Rivals.com (Berry is now 37th; Miller 80th) -- and into a consensus, five-star, blue-chip, Top 100 national recruit.

After receiving just one scholarship offer (from Mississippi) during his junior season, Berry said he picked up six (Florida, Florida State, LSU and Ohio State) the week he ran a 4.43 at the Nike Combine and a ''ton more'' after running the 4.31.

Berry said his mother, Eartha, has kept all of the written scholarship offers for him and said she plans to put a few of them up in frames in his room by the end of the summer.

By then, Berry hopes the school he grew up rooting for -- the University of Miami -- would have given him an offer. But the Hurricanes, who already have an oral commitment from Wichita Kansas's Bryce Brown (the nation's No. 1 running back in the 2009 class), are said to be only looking to sign two running backs this February. And the Canes have already extended their other offer to Miller.

''I'm not mad or hurt or anything like that,'' Berry said. ``I know they already got Bryce and I know they offered Lamar before I really came on the scene. So, I'm not mad at them. I'd love to have an offer. Coach [Micheal] Barrow tells me all the time he'd love to give me one, but it's not his call. Besides, if Miami offered it's not like I'd commit right away. I'd consider them for sure. But they'd be just one of the schools in the mix.''

Even if the Hurricanes don't offer, Berry still has plenty of suitors. His Top 10 list includes Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Mississippi, Auburn, Clemson, LSU, West Virginia and Boston College. He says he really likes Ohio State a lot -- especially after taking an unofficial trip to watch the Buckeyes' spring game with several other local highly-touted 2009 recruits.

''We really had a great time,'' Berry said. ``I went up there with [Plantation defensive backs] Brandon McGee, Vlad Emielen, [St. Thomas receiver] Duron Carter and [Hallandale quarterback] Victor Marc. The campus was great. I loved the whole atmosphere. You could see the coaches and the players are real straight-forward people.''

Berry, who lives with his mother and his 15-year-old sister Diamond, said he plans to take his time before choosing a college. He said he plans to take all five of his official visits -- and has already made plans to attend several important college games during the season including Ohio State versus Michigan, Florida and Miami, LSU and Georgia and Ole Miss and Auburn. This summer, he said, he will take several unofficial trips to see schools with his mother.

''My dream my whole life has been to make it to the NFL, and I'm working my butt off to get there,'' Berry said. ``I love the game and I won't let anything get of the way of my dreams.''

Berry, who admits he struggled to stay focused on school as a freshman, said he has worked hard to bring his grade point average up since his sophomore season and now boasts a 2.5 GPA.

Palmetto coach Larry Coffey said Berry, who grew up playing Pop Warner football in North Miami before his family moved down south to Suniland Park when he was in the sixth grade, has all the makings of a special back.

''Jaamal has a lot of toughness about him,'' said Coffey, who starred in college as a running back, rushing 3,035 yards for West Virginia Wesleyan College from 1978-80. ``We'll have practice for three hours, and I'll call him to check up on him afterward and his mother will tell me he's already back at the park playing football with his friends or lifting weights. It's non-stop with him.''

Berry said he spends a lot of time training with his best friend, Tito Morales, a 23-year-old junior varsity a.ssistant coach at Columbus.

Berry said Morales works with him on lunges, squats and workouts in the pool as well as pushing sleds up and down the hills at Tropical Park and running the stairs at Miami Dade College.

''I think the first time I realized how special Jaamal is was when I took him to Columbus when he was in the eighth grade,'' Morales said.

``We were playing a touch football game with some of the seniors and some of the guys who graduated. Jaamal lined up at receiver against Darrell Sheppard, who was like 20 years old at the time. Jaamal ran right past him on a nine route and took him to the house. Here was this 13-year-old kid embarrassing a 20-year-old. And he acted like it was no big deal. It was amazing.''

Morales, who said he wants no part of the friendly wager between Berry and Frank Gore, said he's excited about the impending battle for the rushing title in Dade. There is no doubt the collection of backs in South Florida right now are impressive.

''Lamar Miller is a great back. He can hit the hole and he's gone,'' Morales said. "But what separates Jaamal and Jakhari from him is that they've got that wiggle. They run north and south and they make people miss. Lamar is going to run you over. It's definitely going to be interesting to see who wins that bet.''
frank gore's record is gonna be tough to break, i like the kids confidence tho and hope he succeeds wherever he goes

Last edited by madness; 06-03-2008 at 03:26 PM..
 9 years ago '06        #3926
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
there is a rumor that courtney harris out for the year with a torn achilles tendon

:banghead:
 9 years ago '05        #3927
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
 P. Dedos said:
gotta love night games
woooow...tailgating is gonna be in full effect....i remember the miami fsu game last yr...every one was just getting up at noon from the night before so i felt rushed with the drinking....i cant fu*king wait :applause:...
 06-03-2008, 11:58 PM         #3928
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Seems like its been kinda quiet round here since it seems like recruits right now are the main story. Hopefully Marve can bring us back to form. I seen some pictures of him and he looks like he's bulking up for this season. Also he's wearing number 9 now. Oh yeah check the avy :rasta:
 06-04-2008, 01:04 AM         #3929
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That Avy is raw as sh*t.
 9 years ago '04        #3930
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
I was having a friendly debate with recruiting expert Larry Blustein last week regarding who the top overall football prospect in South Florida could be when our discussion was interrupted by a college a.ssistant from one of the state's Bowl Championship Series schools.

''I'll tell you who the best young football player in South Florida is,'' the a.ssistant said. ``It's that kid from Southwest High -- the 10th-grader. Best kid I've seen anywhere all spring.''

That kid, that sophomore, that 2010 recruit, is 5-9, 170-pound do-it-all athlete LaMarcus Joyner. And after touring South Florida high schools for nearly a month this spring, I'm close to agreeing.

[pic - click to view]

Joyner, who boasts 4.3-speed in the 40-yard dash according to his coach, was the most impressive player I saw on the field in the Eagles' 17-8 spring game victory against Hialeah on a hot afternoon May 22.

Joyner played nearly every down, intercepting a pass at safety on defense, catching passes at receiver and zig-zagging his way around defenders while toting the rock at running back. By the end of the scrimmage, he was cramping up and being treated with a fan and spraying water by team trainers. It was the only sign of weakness in Joyner's game.

''Coaching LaMarcus is like training a monster,'' said 30-year-old Southwest coach Patrick Burrows, who played at k!llian and at Florida A&M.

``He'll do anything you tell him to do at 100 miles per hour. He's chiseled like a rock, less than 2 percent body fat. But he's got to hydrate. And when he doesn't start hydrating at least four days before a game, he starts to run out of steam. But I'm pretty sure that's only because he's young. I can't wait to see him when he's a man.''

Joyner is already the man at Southwest. Last season, he registered more than 100 tackles, blocked four punts, recorded seven sacks and rolled up more than 300 yards on offense to go with five touchdowns. Burrows said he plans to use Joyner even more this fall -- like he did this spring.

By December, Joyner could be the most coveted junior in South Florida. Although colleges are not allowed to offer underclassmen scholarships, the staff at Southwest say Florida, Miami, Georgia and West Virginia have already given the impression they'll have a scholarship offer waiting for Joyner next spring.

If it sounds surprising the Eagles (a perennial football doormat in Dade once home to a 28-game losing streak in the late 1990s) could even have a player such as Joyner on its roster, there is an explanation. Joyner, who lives within the boundaries to attend two-time defending Class 6A state champion Northwestern, attends Southwest through its Business and Finance Magnet Program.

The Eagles have a few more players from outside their neighborhood on the team and have certainly benefited from it. Last season, Southwest finished 6-4, 3-1 in District 15-6A and missed the playoffs when it lost a district tiebreaker to Sunset and Braddock. But with six returning starters on each side of the ball, Burrows is optimistic the Eagles can reach the state playoffs for the first time since 1995.

For that to happen, though, Burrows will need a handful of other college prospects to lead the team. That list starts with 5-9, 170-pound senior running back Hosey Williams, who ran for 1,180 yards and 20 touchdowns and averaged 8.4 yards a carry last season as a junior.

Williams missed an opportunity to excel this spring in front of scouts when Burrows was forced to sit him out for piling up too many tardies in school. But if he sticks around -- as Burrows hopes -- for his senior season, he'll have plenty of opportunities to shine.

So, too, will senior quarterback Osvaldo Castillo (5-10, 170), whom Burrows considers the team's most important player. Castillo threw for 700 yards and ran for 600 last season but was injured during the district tiebreaker.

''It definitely would have made a big difference to have him around,'' Burrows said. ``He's a heck of an athlete, a legit Southwest-area kid who is going to go somewhere to play college football. Louisville is very interested.''

There are two more recruits of note -- senior defensive back/receiver Chris Quinn (5-10, 175, 4.4-speed) and 5-10, 300-pound defensive tackle Leandro Ricardo.

''Chris can flat-out play,'' Burrows said. ``Leandro is going to learn how to really play. His technique is great. Our job is to get that explosion, and we will. He's dead meat this summer. He's going to have great feet before it's all over.''
PALMETTO

The feet, legs and great speed of running back Jaamal Berry is a big reason Palmetto has become a hot spot for recruiting this spring.

Berry, who climbed the national recruiting charts when he ran a 4.31 in the 40-yard dash in March, has more than 25 college scholarship offers. And while he exceled, running for 109 yards on 16 carries in Palmetto's spring loss to Pace, he won't be the only reason college coaches stop to see the Panthers on the recruiting trail.

Darryl Williams, a 5-9, 180-pound defensive back/receiver, has speed to burn (he was a regional qualifier in the 200 meters). He has offers from Mississippi, Western Kentucky and now most recently the University of Central Florida. After returning several punts and kicks for touchdowns last season, he had a breakthrough moment in the spring with an interception return for a touchdown.

The Panthers have a few other seniors to watch, including 5-9, 185-pound defensive back Keenan Paicely (Hofstra, UCF, FAMU, Auburn, UAB interest).

But the players coach Larry Coffey sees a ton of potential in are in his junior class, particularly his offensive line, where Matt Myers (6-3, 255), Ronald Regula (6-2, 235) Darren Pinnock (6-3, 310) and Mike Nettles (6-4, 240) all return after playing significantly last season as sophomores. Myers should be a familiar name to Hurricanes fans. His brother is former Canes lineman Chris Myers, who started for the Denver Broncos last season before being traded to Houston in the offseason.

''They've all got the size and ingredients to do well, but they've got show me they'll do better than they did this spring,'' said Coffey, who returns five starters on offense and three on defense from a team that finished 3-7 last season. ``I want to see improvement after this summer.''

VARELA

The Vipers took a step back in 2007, going 3-7 and 1-4 in District 15-6A and missing the playoffs for only the second time in the past six seasons.

Coach Clark Eakes left the program and is now an a.ssistant at k!llian. His replacement, k!llian grad Rod Payne, could have enough talent to get the Vipers back into the playoffs. Payne, a former All-American center at Michigan, has been wearing the Super Bowl ring he won with the Baltimore Ravens in 2000 to inspire his team.

They looked the part in their impressive spring win against Reagan High on May 22. And although there might not be any major Division I talent on the roster yet, there were plenty of promising prospects with college scholarships in their future.

The senior class features tight end Marcus Jones (6-2, 200), linebacker Richard Stennet (5-9, 180), quarterback Ryan Mesh (5-10, 185), linebacker Kevin Ibarra (6-0, 205), center Juan Cesarcers (5-11, 260) and defensive end Iyaaz Armarili (6-0, 185).

The Vipers also have a pair of promising 2010 recruits in left tackle Tony Gonzalez (6-3, 220) and free safety Diego Rodriguez (5-8, 165).

REAGAN

The Bison suffered through plenty of pain in their first full varsity season in Class 3A last fall. Reagan went 0-10 and was outscored 567 to 29, a direct reflection of having only one junior varsity season instead of two.

This year, coach John Lopez is a little more optimistic. He has his first senior class to build around, one that features a few low-tier prospects, including quarterback Brian Hussey (5-11, 190), safety Michael Lopez (6-0, 180), defensive tackle Kevin Nanez (6-0, 260) and running back Melvin Brownlee (5-8, 180).

Hussey, who plays on the U.S. under-18 rugby national team, has quite a strong leg according to Lopez and could have a future as a kicker. Lopez's son, Michael, was the most impressive player I saw during the team's spring game.
 9 years ago '06        #3931
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
im telling you man 2010 in south florida is gonna be special

lets hope shannon keeps most of these kids down south

:rasta:
 9 years ago '04        #3932
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Football injuries/rumor control

For a dead period at UM when the only thing people should be talking about is the baseball team, we sure have spent a lot of time talking football in the last few weeks -- particularly injuries.

First, there was the Allen Bailey rumor that turned out to be true -- a torn pectoral muscle that I've been told is now not as bad as initially anticipated. And now in the last 24 hours, two more rumors have surfaced. The first, involving defensive end Courtney Harris rupturing his Achilles (which is true). The latest, running back Greg Cooper tearing his ACL, IS NOT TRUE according to several sources I've spoken to in the last few hours.

"That's some crazy B.S.," a source at UM told me when asked if the Cooper rumors were true. "We've only got one kid seriously injured. Why are people starting that stuff. Do they want us to have bad luck or something?"

The bad luck belongs to Harris, who was all set to compete for playing time this fall, and defensive line coach Clint Hurtt. Achilles' injuries are serious and can even be career threatening. Miami's defensive line, meanwhile, already thin and riddled with injuries from a year ago, will have to move on. Senior Eric Moncur, the lone veteran, will share a lot of playing time with Bailey once he returns (which I'm told could be the first game of the season). Those two should be the starting ends once the season begins. It's who comes after them that you should be worried about -- because there isn't a lot out there. Redshirt freshman Adewale Ojomo (the scout team MVP), Steven Wesley and incoming freshman Andrew Smith (who still has to raise his GPA to qualify for UM) are all that's left available. Miami could essentially try a few other young players at defensive end. My thoughts would be defensive tackle Marcus Forston and linebacker Marcus Robinson, who both played some end in high school, have big bodies and know how to get to the quarterback.

RECRUITING TIDBIT...

For those of you who missed it, I've got the sixth installment of my spring tour around South Florida high schools up on our new recruiting page. In this edition, I talk about a kid who several college scouts told me is the best 2010 recruit in Dade -- Southwest High athlete LaMarcus Joyner. There is no need to worry. I've been told the Canes have already offered him.
they need to chill with those injury rumors, i'm expecting big things outta coop this year.

and yup 2010 is gonna be a sick class, even better than 2008. and good to see we offered lamarcus joyner, gotta keep those speedy athletes at home.
 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM         #3933
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
We need Coop healthy.. But Hurricane James will dominate this year
 9 years ago '04        #3934
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
OK, here's my interview with future Canes cornerback Brandon Harris, who capped his senior season at Booker T. Washington by winning The Miami Herald's Male Athlete of the Year award. I spoke to his older brother Tim Jr., a national finalist in the 800 meters, earlier this week.

Q: You won the Male Athlete of the Year Award in Miami-Dade last week to become only the second athlete to repeat as a winner -- Carol City and LSU defensive lineman Ricky Jean-Francois was the other. Did you think you should have won?

[pic - click to view]

A: Manny -- you know I'm not going to tell you I think I should have won [laughter]. First of all, it is a tremendous honor. I want to thank The Miami Herald for all the great articles and awards they've given me and my family in my time in high school. I've had so much fun and its made it really memorable. But no, I didn't think I was going to receive the award. I know I didn't have as strong a season in track as I did my junior year. Still, I'll take it. It's a huge honor -- something I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Q: Obviously winning the award was sweet, but I heard you had a blast on prom night -- rolling in style, partying in style. Give me the details.

[pic - click to view]

A: [Laughter] It was all PG rated stuff. Come on now. No, my family rented me a nice black Mercedez convertible to go with my white suit and hat. I was rolling to the prom in that.

Q: So are you glad you stayed at Booker T. instead of enrolling early at UM and participating in spring practice and missing out on all those senior events?
A: I'm definitely glad I stayed. People wanted to know why I didn't go early, start competing. But I wanted to enjoy my senior year. I wanted to run track. I wanted to spend time with my dad, my friends. Plus, I didn't feel like it would affect me on the depth chart or player wise. I know that when I come in I'm going to be focused, ready to play. I'm definitely excited already about getting a chance to come on campus, use the facilities, workout with the guys and build relationships. We've all known each other for so long. And now, we're all going to get a chance to play together. It's going to be real exciting.

Q: I have to imagine during your workouts now at UM you've run into some of the former Canes who are in the NFL. Any interesting meetings or discussions with any of them?
A: All of those guys are real cool. Willis McGahee is a real nice guy. We've gone out, thrown a couple balls around. Reggie Wayne too. I've met so many of them. All of them say the same things -- how we've got to get The U back to where it was. And we will.

Q: What are some of the things maybe some of the other freshman who were here in the spring have told you about the program and what to expect?
They just talk about coming in and getting in shape, getting ready to play ball and to expect some of the toughest practices you'll ever have in your life. Other than that, they just talk about how much fun it is to be here. Marcus [Forston], Jacory [Harris], Sean [Spence] and those guys all have their little bikes. They're all around campus, having a good time, but working hard too.

[pic - click to view]

Q: So do you know yet who you will be rooming with when you start summer school?
A: I'm going to be rooming with Davon Johnson, [receiver] Laron Byrd and [safety] Vaughn Telemaque. We'll be starting in Summer B. I have no idea what classes yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
cant wait to see harris on the field. kid is strong, fast, and has amazing ball skills and will be a shutdown corner for years to come.
 06-05-2008, 09:06 AM         #3935
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ridge Community running back Mike James continues to reel in big time attention with offers from Alabama, Illinois, Wake Forest, Louisville and Central Florida. That trend stayed strong this week as the 5-foot-11, 215 pound star picked up another huge offer, but this time it came from in-state. FV has the latest on the offer and where things currently stand with the talented back. Could a decision be just around the corner and can anyone knock Illinois off the top spot?

James picked up a huge offer from Miami this week
As they say now the plot thickens. The interest for Ridge RB Mike James continues to soar. Even with all the attention, Illinois seemed to be well above the pack, which resulted from the early relationship built between James and the Illini staff. However, that relationship might be challenged with his most recent offer.

"I got an offer from the University of Miami Tuesday evening. We just had to confirm all the paper work was in - a.ssistant coach Clint Hurtt sent me the official offer," explained James.

"I was pretty stunned because I thought I wouldn't get an offer from one of the big three (FSU, Florida, and Miami) until the season started, so this offer was a huge one for me."

The Hurricanes aren't exactly a stranger to James - the Miami staff put on the strong push over the past few months.

But on Tuesday, Miami wanted to make it official.

"Coach Shannon and the rest of the staff are turning things around at Miami. I've been watching Miami for a while and they do a very good job at getting their backs very involved and that impressed me a lot about them. Coach Hurtt spoke with my Mom for a while last night so she could get a better feel for the program at Miami and I think it went pretty well."

So with the big in-state offer, how does that change things and what's the next step?

"It shakes things up and gives me a lot to think about. I would be lying if I said otherwise. I have a lot to breakdown with my family in which school is the best fit for me as a running back. I don't have a leader but the three schools that standout at this point are Louisville, Miami and Illinois."

James broke down what he likes about each of his favorites.

Miami It's the U what else can you say when you look at all the running backs the Canes have produced over the years. It's not too far from home and I'm pretty familiar with the offense they run at Miami. I know Coach Hurtt mentioned how they are looking for a big back that can not only bring the power, but the speed as well, and he feels I can fill that void.

Louisville When you have an explosive offense like Louisville that averages around 35 points per game that's very impressive and I liked that a lot when taking a closer look at Louisville. Running backs coach Tony Alford stays in very close contact with me. We talk a lot about how I could fit into their offense. I like how they use their backs at Louisville in putting them out in space.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was pretty stunned because I thought I wouldn't get an offer from one of the big three (FSU, Florida or Miami) until the season started.
Mike James, RB
Ridge Community
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Illinois I've always been really high on Illinois, even from the start of the recruiting season. I have an extremely strong relationship with offensive coordinator Mike Locksley and head coach Ron Zook. The staff is just straight down the middle about what they like about me. One thing that really impressed me a lot about Illinois was how the staff told me they only want to sign one back and that I'm at the top of their list. Playing time would be a strong advantage at Illinois. I watched really carefully how they used Rashard Mendenhall this past year and it honestly fits really well with my style.

So what are some of the key factors when breaking down each school? More importantly, how much of a factor will distance come into play despite the love James has for Illinois?

"You take everything into consideration to be honest. On one hand, if I stayed in-state, my parents would get to see me play, but on the other you just have to take a very close eye about how well you fit into each program. So those are just a few things I need to break down with my parents. The bottom line is I'm going to choose the school I feel the most comfortable with and that decision could come in the next few weeks but we will just have to wait and see."

James has over 25 offers to date. The more recent offers are Kentucky, Mississippi State, and Central Florida.

As James prepares for the gut wrenching decision, he is using his summer as an opportunity to get ready for the upcoming season. The recent load of offers can be credited to becoming a more patient and smarter player this season.

"Just waiting for the play to develop was the biggest thing I needed to work on as a player. I worked really hard in making the right cut and I think after watching the spring game I did a much better job of that so I'm just ready for the season to get here. As a junior, James had a very impressive season rushing for over 1,000 yards, while adding 15 touchdowns. What separates James from a lot of other running backs is his amazing cutting style and speed in the open field. For a prospect of over 215 pounds to cut on a dime is special. "I like Mike James a lot as a running back. He's quick, has strong leg drive and has very good vision between the tackles. I believe he is one of the more underrated running backs in the state of Florida," replied Rivals.com National Recruiting Analyst Jamie Newberg.

[
 9 years ago '06        #3936
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
good looks caneboi
 9 years ago '07        #3937
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
that mike james kid aint half bad

9 years ago '04        #3938
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
3 canes drafted in the 1st round in the MLB draft

yonder alonso, jemile weeks (rickie weeks' brother), carlos gutierrez

MLB-U!:applause:
 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM         #3939
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yea mike james isnt that bad..everybody wants to know why miami offered mike james and not jamaal berry but mike james is vary big and explosive..and having bryce brown..lamar miller and maybe mike james would be sick
 9 years ago '06        #3940
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space

sophmore beastin :wow:
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
225 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside just came across this gorgeous young lady from london
51 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
199 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
110 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Everything You Thought You Knew About #Dinosaurs is Wrong
72 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside 28 Game Systems, One Console
32 comments
1 day ago