Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Gamestop offered him $8.62 for 17 games 2 controllers and a Ps4 Pro
39 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cam responds
215 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Blind date: She wants to meet at the gym and get Chipotle after... what do?
66 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Mase In Studio Video Recording 'The Oracle' Cam'ron Diss (Engineer Vibi..
52 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #3821
booie4 
space
space
$5,238 | Props total: 1526 1526
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami running back Graig Cooper is ready for the season to finally begin.

Since the end of last season, Cooper's been counting the days to the beginning of the season and come Thursday, he says the team needs to make a statement.

"It is very important to make a statement," Cooper said. "I feel like it is personal. I take it real personal man, how we ended last season."

"Every game is personal to me. I ain't use to losing. That is how we push each other, every game is personal, so that is how we have to go in against Charleston Southern."

Cooper is anxious for the season to start for two reasons: he's a much stronger runner this year and his confidence is a lot higher going into this season after a very strong freshman season.

But maybe the biggest source of Cooper's confidence going into the season is the fact that his legs are feeling the most fresh since he has been at Miami.

"I am feeling good," Cooper said. "I don't have any nicks at all. The legs feel good and I am ready man, I am pumped."

Cooper's legs are fresh going into the season partly because Head Coach Randy Shannon has been careful with the amount of reps he has given him during fall practice. Shannon limited the carries of both Cooper and James during the three scrimmages throughout fall practice.

"We know coach is going to try and get those guys in," Cooper said. "If me and Javarris go down again, they are going to try and get those guys in, so they can get some reps and build confidence in them."

As a true freshman last year, Cooper ran for 682 yards and four touchdowns while catching 13 passes for 129 yards. His best game came in the season opener against Marshall when he rushed for 116 yards on 12 carries.

He also handled the punt return duties last season, averaging 4.8 yards per return. For the Charleston Southern game, Cooper is slated as the number one punt returner on the depth chart.

Cooper says the biggest reason the offense is improved from last year is that all the players are familiar with the playbook and more confident in what they are doing.

"We have the same offense, so we just know it a lot better now," Cooper said. "Everybody knows what they have to do now. Last year we had to learn a whole new offense. This year they know all the little things. Everything is more crisp."

Cooper says the recent suspension of starting quarterback Robert Marve is not a distraction to the team.

"It is not a distraction because those guys work and support their teammates the same way," Cooper said. "We have enough talent around here. If I was in trouble, we would have enough guys to come in and fill my spot."

So what would Cooper tell true freshman Jacory Harris about what to expect in playing his first college game?

"It is going to be a lot faster and you are going to have to make a lot smarter decisions," Cooper said. "I haven't really sat down and talked to him about that yet though because he has made good decision on spring and summer."
 9 years ago '04        #3822
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,970 | Props total: 2776 2776
props booie
 9 years ago '04        #3823
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,970 | Props total: 2776 2776
No favoritism for Shannon's son at UM
Center Xavier Shannon transferred from FIU to play for his dad at UM, but he shouldn't expect any special treatment.

With a former NFL player and college coach for a father, Xavier Shannon didn't get to see very much of his dad growing up. But when he did, he said he was taught many valuable lessons in life.

As a second-grader, a spanking and six-month ban from video games and toys taught him to not act up in school. As a high school football player, a day full of running and vomiting showed him it's a not good idea to have your coach call your dad to tell him you showed up to practice out of shape. And as a young Scrabble player, he learned to never keep his eyes off his father.

''He cheats,'' Xavier said of his father, University of Miami football coach Randy Shannon. 'People that play Scrabble know there's only two blanks in the bag. Sometimes, if he needs a blank, he'll flip an `I' or a 'C' on its back. My grandma and I always call him out on it. But that's Dad, he tries to do whatever he can to win. He's competitive. All of us Shannons are.''

The relationship between father and son hit a new level, though, eight months ago when the son did something his father really didn't want him to -- join Dad's football team. Shannon has said publicly he never wanted his son to play for him and to make his own footprints in life.

After graduating from FIU in December, Xavier, 22, enrolled in UM's graduate school. With a year of eligibility remaining, he walked on to the Hurricanes' football team. His education is paid for (tuition remission) because his father works for the school. Since he has arrived, father and son have gone out of their way to avoid any perceived notions of favoritism.

When asked recently how his son, a 6-1, 300-pound fifth-year center was doing, the coach answered, ``Don't know. Don't watch him.''

But when the Canes kick off their season against Charleston Southern at 7 p.m. Thursday at Dolphins Stadium, father won't have any choice but to watch his son. Xavier, who started 29 games in his three years at FIU, is slated to have his hands on the football every time UM snaps the ball.

And while Randy, 42, won't discuss what his son does on the field, he does speak highly of what he has accomplished off it.

''As a dad I'm proud of him,'' the coach said. ``I think he's doing all the right things that he needs to make a dad proud. I'm sure he knows that.''

HANGING OUT

On a recent day off from practice, father and son sat down to watch the Olympics, talk about basketball, girls and life. But football was off limits.

''When we do talk, it's usually about movies,'' said Xavier, who said his father called at 5 a.m. this summer just to ask him when the movie National Treasure 2 was being released.

"He likes some movies and music nobody else likes. He has the entire Sting collection on DVD. He likes National Treasure, all the old [James Bond] 007s, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan and Get Rich or Die Trying with 50 Cent. He really likes that one.''

The two didn't spend much time together while Xavier was growing up, with Randy spending much of his time coaching. ''I usually saw him about three or four days a week,'' Xavier said. "But I lived with my grandma and my mom.''

When Xavier did see his dad, he knew not to cross the line. He said his father was a strict disciplinarian with all four of his children -- Tyquitah, 24, Randy, 8, and Steven 4. ''I remember how hard he was on my sister when she ran track at Coral Gables [High],'' Xavier said. "With athletics, he would always push us harder than everybody else. He always wanted us to do the best no matter what we did. He doesn't like lazy people.''

Or those that get out of line as Xavier discovered in the second grade.

''I was acting up in class and I remember my teacher tried reaching my mom and my grandma but none of them answered,'' Xavier said. ``I begged her not to call [my dad] because it was the middle of the football season. He came and picked me up.......[and] just went off about how he was supposed to be breaking down film and how he was wasting time to come pick me up. He took me home and gave me a spanking before he took me back to school. I was miserable the whole day. It was the only butt whooping I ever needed.''

That, he says, is about as far as Randy's role as a father extended. By the time he was a teenager, Xavier said their relationship grew into something he describes as "a brother relationship, more than father-son.''

Xavier, and others, have noticed similarities in the two Shannons since the son arrived at UM. From their looks to the way they walk to food they eat (spicy white chicken meat from Popeye's).

''At times at night, I'll look over at him and I'll swear Coach Shannon is in my house,'' offensive lineman Reggie Youngblood, Xavier's roommate, said. ``It's scary.''

Youngblood said Xavier also is building the same reputation Randy had for being a prankster during his UM playing days.

''I remember guys like Ray Lewis and C.J. Richardson coming to my house and telling us how my Dad used to go out and eat with them and when they would leave the table, he'd put salt and pepper or hot sauce in their drinks,'' Xavier said. "It doesn't surprise me. This is the same guy who, when I was asleep at home, would come in and start beating on the wall real loud just to scare me.''

FITTING IN

Despite the antics, Xavier Shannon said he hasn't had any trouble fitting in with his new teammates. But he has come to learn being the coach's son means plenty of ribbing from teammates. This summer, running back Javarris James and safety Randy Phillips annoyed him by introducing him to waitresses at Hooters as Randy Shannon's son. In fall practices, offensive linemen Chris Rutledge and Youngblood have asked him to ``go give your daddy a hug so practice can end quicker.''

The irony is father and son aren't into emotional embraces to begin with. ''Maybe he does it behind closed doors, but I've never seen him [cry],'' Xavier said. "And if you hug him, he'll look at you like you're crazy. I'm not really the affectionate type either. I think it's a Shannon thing.''

Randy Shannon, whose father was murdered when he was 3 and who lost three older siblings to drug addictions and AIDS, said a life without emotion is the way he grew up. ''Life was always tough on me,'' he said. "[Xavier] knows I love him and I care about him, but I'm not into the hugging. It makes you stronger when you got to deal with other things in life.''

XAVIER'S FUTURE

As for his life, Xavier said there's a chance he could one day follow his father's footsteps into coaching. But he says he's not giving it any thought until after the season. ''The only thing he's always told me and my sister is that no matter what we do in life, do what what we want to do and make sure we're the best at it,'' Xavier said.

"And right now, all I'm worried about is that first game. I want to win a national championship and pour the Gatorade on him. Then, maybe we'd hug. And maybe, maybe he'd cry.''
 9 years ago '05        #3824
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,045 | Props total: 641 641
i went to high school with this dude...i never liked him cuz he had this attitude like he was almost anti um...i remember him walking around saying how um was gonna lose to ohio state...and i was just like how the fu*k u gonna say that when your dad is the freaking defensive coordinator.

Last edited by Deeangoe; 08-26-2008 at 06:03 PM..
 9 years ago '04        #3825
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,270 | Props total: 11227 11227
 Deeangoe said:
i went to high school with this dude...i never liked him cuz he had this attitude like he was almost anti um...i remember him walking around saying how um was gonna lose to ohio state...and i was just like how the fu*k u gonna say that when your dad is the freaking defensive coordinator.
That's fu*king hilarious. Kid either really hated his dad or really hated Miami at some point. Pretty funny little story, though. Although I think it's petty to hate somebody because they don't like your favorite team. I'm a diehard Gator fan but don't hate people if they like FSU or you guys. I have plenty of friends who can't stand UF but they still cool peoples.
 9 years ago '04        #3826
1000bluntz 
space
space
$17,270 | Props total: 11227 11227
Wow check out these awesome new facilities for UM...incredible this is serious.

9 years ago '04        #3827
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- A torn pectoral muscle and a sports hernia have proven to be too much to overcome for starting defensive ends Allen Bailey and Eric Moncur to get on the field in Thursday's opener against Charleston Southern.

University of Miami coach Randy Shannon was hopeful the pair would be able to play in the opener as he said they'd be ready numerous times during Fall practice.

But neither has practiced this Fall in team drills, only participating in individual non-contact drills.

Today at practice, Shannon announced that they are not where they need to be yet and likely will not play Thursday.

"They probably won't play," Shannon said.

Shannon said they have not suffered a set back.

"Each day they did more and more," Shannon said. "Allen Bailey and Eric Moncur did some two-minute drill today. You don't want to rush them back into it. You want to give them something they can do and see how they feel the next day. It's not that they are not healed, you don't want them to be fatigued."

With Bailey and Moncur out, this means the two-deep depth chart that was released on Sunday naming Steven Wesley and true freshman Marcus Robinson as the starters for the season opener holds true.

Robinson recorded 23 sacks as a senior last year at Homestead High School playing defensive end. Although he was recruited to by Miami as an outside linebacker, he never played the position while in high school. His ability to get to the quarterback in Fall practice has impressed the coaches a great deal.

Other practice notes from Thursday

? Shannon said the team is at 85 scholarships even though they have 86 apparent scholarship guys. Shannon said Cannon Smith is on scholarship and that Chaz Washington still counts towards the limit although he is injured, but would not say how they are down to 85.

? Shannon on if the team is ready for the opener on Thursday: "You never know. Hopefully we are ready. We have done all of the things we need to do to get ready and the players feel good so that's all that matters."

? The team will have a closed walk-through on Wednesday.
 9 years ago '04        #3828
booie4 
space
space
Official Injury Report Provided by Miami

Probable
Tyrone Byrd - Leg
Javarris James- Leg
Anthony Redd*ck - Leg
Derron Thomas - Chest

Doubtful
Reggie Youngblood - Head
Lovon Ponder- Shoulder

Out
Allen Bailey - Chest
Chris Barney - Leg
Josh Holmes - Leg
Ben Jones - Leg
Kris Kimball - Arm
Eric Moncur - Leg

Surgery/Out for Season
Tommy Streeter - arm
 9 years ago '05        #3829
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
yes sir finnally football season is upon us...im fu*king ready....got my season tickets this past weekend...tom soon as i get off work...driving up to the stadium to tailgate...hopefully i dont get kicked out like me and my friends did last dolphins game

so who else is going to the game
 9 years ago '04        #3830
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- If there is one player who can tell quarterback Jacory Harris about what to expect in playing game one on the schedule as a true freshman, it is running back Javarris James.

James didn't start the first game of his UM career in 2006 against Florida State, but he did play.

And the memory of his first snap in that game still sticks out in James' mind.

"I remember the first play I came in," James said. It was a pass play and Buster Davis came at the line and was like, 'we got the rookie in' and he kept calling my name, 'Baby J!' I was kind of shell shocked for a moment, but once you get that first snap in, you will be alright."

James finished that game with just three yards on three carries, but even if he ran for 100 yards in the game, his stat line wasn't going to be the most important thing he would take from that first game.

What James needed was game experience and that is what Harris will get Thursday when he starts the first game of his UM career against Charleston Southern.

"This is a big opportunity for him," James said. "I am pretty sure he is focused and I know he is in his playbook. He comes and asks me questions about certain plays. He wants to know what everybody is doing too. I remember when the coaches told me I was starting. It kind of makes you prepare more and focus a little more. He is just focused right now and if you have seen him in practice this week, he is looking pretty good. I have a good idea that he will be fine."

Harris has played in big games before. As a senior at Northwestern he won the mythical high school national championship game at South Lake Carroll Texas in front of more than 30,000 fans. Harris also won two state championships--with the first state championship coming in Dolphin Stadium.

So according to James, Harris has dealt with pressure and played in big games before.

"The good thing is he played in Dolphin Stadium before at Northwestern, so he has been in the spotlight," James said. "I told him to just think like you are going out to play that team from Texas again. There is going to be a lot more fan and he is going to be wearing a different color, but a guy like him has been in the spotlight, so it should be nothing new to him. I have seen him in high school and he did so many good things then."

"I told him when he comes out he is going to have goose bumps and your hands are going to be sweaty and you are going to be nervous, but when they blow that whistle and it is time to play, it is all the same."

James says he is most impressed by the pocket presence Harris always plays with, but it is the athletic ability he has flashed on occasion during fall camp that has surprised James the most.

"One thing about him is that he has good pocket presence. One thing I didn't know about him until he got here is that he can take off and run with the ball in his hands. He can get a couple moves on you and he can move pretty good for a lanky tall guy. He is going to throw some pretty balls too. I am just excited for the young fellow to go out there with the chance to show the nation what he can do."

The biggest way James can help out Harris this week is by establishing a strong running game. James is listed as the top back on the depth chart and the tandem of he and Graig Cooper figures to be very potent against Charleston Southern.

"I feel like if we come out and handle our business, we can make it real easy on him," James said. "We need to take it upon ourselves as the running backs to get the running game going early like we should, then we will be good. The offensive line is going to make it real easy on us and we are going to make it easy on him."
 9 years ago '04        #3831
booie4 
space
space
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Jason Fox is expected to be the leader of the offensive line. Following a great freshman year, Fox didn't show a great deal of improvement his sophomore year.

He's looking for a change this year, not just from himself, but from the entire team as they f!ght to try to make a turnaround following a disappointing 5-7 season in 2007.

And with the offensive line looked to be improved and the most experienced group on the team, Fox is looking to see the results on the field based on what's been done in practice.

"We made a lot of progress from last year. The biggest thing is because we've been able to fine tune things. Last year at this point we were still learning Coach Stoutland's techniques and the way he coaches," Fox said. "Now we are honing in on the little things, a step here, something we try. We are being able to pick up on the small things and work on those."

Fox also accepts the role of being the unit that has to lead the team because of the experience across the offensive line.

"That's what we've taken on as our role this year. A lot of guys look at us like the leaders of the offense. That's a big responsibility, but we really want that pressure on our shoulders," Fox said.

One of the players that has stepped to the forefront of the offensive line is center Xavier Shannon who is playing his first and only year at Miami. Fox has been very impressed with the progression of Shannon since his arrival in the Spring.

"You know he's picked everything up real fast. At FIU, he played tackle. I am not sure how much center experience he had before this," Fox said. "It's surprising that he's only been here for a year how well he's playing."

Fox also said that Shannon brings something to the table that last year's center John Rochford did in that Shannon is stronger and can physically dominate opponents.

Another player Fox expects to see a lot from is running back Javarris James who struggled with injuries in 2007. Now, James is healthy and Fox is excited about James and Graig Cooper in the backfield.

"He's a real worker, a competitor, as you know he was banged up last year. That didn't stop him. He still wanted to play and help his teammates out. You can't even predict how well he is going to do this year. It's exciting when you have guys like him and Coop back there to break a big one and go for six," Fox said.

But the story of the week remains the quarterback situation. Either way, Fox is responsible for the protecting the backside of Jacory Harris or Robert Marve. This week, it will be Harris as he has been named the starting quarterback with Marve sidelined with a suspension.

"It's our job to do that no matter who is back there. It starts with us. They are going to be taking their first snaps Thursday. We have to protect them," Fox said. "One of the easiest things is with the running game. That's probably where our most experience is. If we can pound them with the running game, that will open up things for our quarterbacks and receivers. That's something we have to get done throughout the season."

Fox said the team took the suspension of Marve in stride and is simply looking forward now with the opener looming.

"It's just the way it is. You can't change it now. There is no reason to look back," Fox said.

But he's just as confident in Harris.

"He's very cerebral, very confident. He's not a guy who is going to jump up and down and yell. He knows he's going to make the throw, going to make the play," Fox said. "You don't sense any kind of timidness from him. He stands tall. You respect him already even though he's a freshman."
 9 years ago '05        #3832
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
so just got off work...bout to head over to the stadium to tailgate :applause:, gonna buy 2 24 packs of beers...gonna get fu*ked up, first time sitting in the student section, so sh*ts gonna be wild.
 9 years ago '05        #3833
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$53,947 | Props total: 6813 6813
I know most of ya'll get the game bein local but does anybody got a backdoor link for espn360 or another site?
 9 years ago '06        #3834
Xaiv 149 heat pts149
space
space
$4,267 | Props total: 2173 2173
 Junior G said:
I know most of ya'll get the game bein local but does anybody got a backdoor link for espn360 or another site?
check this right here
 08-28-2008, 04:43 PM         #3835
SteveSS  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Xaiv said:
check this right here
sh*t doesn't work anymore homie. That is why I came to this thread, to see if I could find another way.
 9 years ago '07        #3836
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,222 | Props total: 12 12
grrr how the fu*k can i watch this game
 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM         #3837
Cheeze  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Same here. I'm over in Tallahassee but they showing the SC game on ESPN, Oregon St on ESPN2, Troy on CSS.
 9 years ago '06        #3838
Xaiv 149 heat pts149
space
space
$4,267 | Props total: 2173 2173
I found this it works for me

9 years ago '05        #3839
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
:banghead: damn sh*t ain't work for me
 9 years ago '05        #3840
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
got it yo Xai propz n*gga
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Have Found The Marshmallow For My Sweet Potato Pie
25 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nov 23 - Woman goes missing after posting about upcoming Tinder date
79 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Australian but lives in L.A.
28 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Denzel Washington: Don't blame the prison system, 'It starts at the ho..
321 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Of all the niggas in cinema who should’ve never died at the end of a movie/wan..
76 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Ralph Lauren 40% Off Items $125 And Better, One Day Sale Only !!!!
12 comments
24 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside There's no need for us to rush it through, ohhh
39 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chris Tucker:Ice Cube Mad Cause I Ain’t Wanna Do Friday 2, U Ain't Pay ..
160 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy