Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kanye back in the Studio with Pete Rock and a bunch of Nintendo Wii Games
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
MMA Ronda Rousey turns off Stephen A. Smith in rousing promo for UFC 207
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
89 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM         #3741
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Duncanville (TX) High School WR Chayse Joubert lists only one scholarship offer: From the Miami Hurricanes.

But that doesn't mean he'll be a Cane in the end.

He says he's "been thinking about it," and that he "may just wait until signing day to decide."

Joubert is expecting several other offers to come rolling in.

"Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Kansas and Tulsa are all recruiting me," he said. "I've been in Texas all my life."

He says distance won't play a factor, though.

"It's what school will give me the best opportunity – that's where I'll go," the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder with 4.34-second speed said.

He says he's already taken a look at the Miami WR situation.

"I know they have the two guys from Miami Northwestern coming in," Joubert said.

Asked if that affects him, Joubert says, "Not really. They're two good players, but it could work out. I'm not going to base my decision on other people."

Joubert says he received the Cane offer in January.

"I talked to coach (Wesley) McGriff and got an offer in the mail," he said. "Coach Mcgriff was saying that they liked me, and he was writing me letters during the season also.

"I call the coaches from time to time and I've talked to them a few times. They say that I have good speed and they're looking for explosive players to come in and play."

Joubert says UM first found out about him because former Cane Lance Leggett played at Joubert's previous school – Grace Prep.

Joubert played there as a freshman and sophomore.

"Miami watched tape of me, came down to see me play a couple of times," Joubert said.

Last season Joubert had 17 receptions for 224 yards with one touchdown.
 9 years ago '07        #3742
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
Bailey at 315:wow:

1st round potential for the nfl
 9 years ago '04        #3743
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
thanx caneboi

joubert went to the same school as lance leggett? i'll pass

if bailey hits 300+ he'll be at D-Tackle:wow:
 9 years ago '06        #3744
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,706 | Props total: 12245 12245
caneboi
 9 years ago '04        #3745
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Bryce Brown talks Yoga, football and The Shirt

The more I speak with the Brown family, the more likable they become. For the last few days, I've tried to catch up with UM recruit Bryce Brown for an interview. But I kept missing him. Some days, it was because of workouts. Others, it was because of Yoga class. Well, we finally caught up.

For the record, Brown is the younger brother of incoming freshman linebacker Arthur Brown. The younger Brown is rated by the most scouting services as the best running back in the 2009 class. Here's what he's talking about:

SR: How much have things changed since you made the verbal to Miami? Do coaches still call?

BB: It's changed pretty big. Some coaches just backed off and haven't really made that many attempts to contact me. Some are still coming on pretty aggressive. They're confident in their program and it looks good on their part. I hear from the offensive coordinator at Oregon, coaches at Ohio State and Texas.

SR: So, you and your brother planned all along to play at the same school?

BB: No, not from the get-go. We decided after he made his decision and it was a good fit, then I'd do it. I was just following God, not necessarily my brother.

SR: Arthur said the recruiting process completely overwhelmed him. Are you glad that it's somewhat over?

BB: Yeah, definitely. I can just take the time to focus on school and enjoy my senior year. You're never going to get it back. I don't have the pressure at all.

SR: Why the sudden interest in Yoga?

BB: Everybody knows that if you do Yoga, you're going to get flexible. The best athletes are flexible and it's a proven fact. The kids that are flexible are usually the fastest. I've been doing it for just two weeks.

SR: You awake each day at 4 a.m. Can you explain that? What goes on?

BB: I usually set my alarm for 3:45 and I usually beat it. Sometimes, I beat it by 10 minutes and the next day I'll beat it by five minutes. I get up because it's my time with God, we talk and I'm able to pray. I talk with (family friend) Brian Butler and my brother. We want to get off to a good start each day. I try to go to bed before 10 p.m. Sometimes I'm up later because when you're committed to something, you gotta keep doing it. I get up and I don't go back to sleep. I'll cook breakfast or clean the house.

SR: Do you have plans of enrolling early if you stick with UM?

BB: Yeah, definitely. I've been planning that since my freshman year. That was brought up before we even started talking college. I'll do it easily. It's not going to be a struggle at all.

SR: What has Arthur told you about Miami?

BB: He told me the thing is how everybody is like family down there. I got to see all that when I went down there with him on his official and went to the spring game. It's a lot of competition, and it's also a lot of love. If a person is a better player than you, you just have to accept it.

SR: The one thing about college football fans is they fawn over recruits before they ever play a game. Are you ready for that type of pressure and attention?

BB: I mean, yes. When you make your goals and you have big goals, a lot of people are going to expect things from you. That's not going to change anything with me. I'm going to continue to work hard. My goal is to start at day one. It's not really that much pressure. I plan to be productive.

SR: Recently, Damien Berry switched from defensive back to running back and this happens a lot in college. If you had to switch, what position would you choose?

BB: Wide receiver. Yeah, I can play it. I played it for my high school when we went to a Nike Camp in Colorado. I just loved being out there (at receiver).

SR: Did you meet any of the other running backs when you were here for the spring game?

BB: Yeah, they welcomed me and I expected that. There's no hating. It's a big family when I go up there. They're going to help me become a part of the program and helping me get accustomed.

SR: You mentioned starting from "day one." What if for some reason that doesn't happen? How will you handle it?

BB: Basically like I've handled everything else in life, just put God first. Obviously, you're going to face challenges. I know I'll get through them.

SR: Lastly, I saw you at the spring game and so did many of the fans. We all want to know about the shirt you were wearing? What was up with that?
Bryce_brown

BB: (Laughing) I like to be different. I saw the shirt at the mall and I figured I'd be different. I like to dress all different types of ways, except Gothic. When they saw me in that shirt, a lot of people said, `What the heck are you wearing?'
 04-24-2008, 02:52 PM         #3746
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
JONES PREPARES PHYSICALLY, HOPES TO QUALIFY

Hurricane signee Benjamin Jones is preparing for life as a Miami Hurricane.

After choosing UM on signing day, the 6-foot-6 Jones is now following the Cane workout program he received in the mail as closely as possible.

"It's a little tough – it's a lot of running," he says.

Jones, who played both ways on the line in his high school career but will be an offensive lineman at Miami, says he's already gained 20 pounds since last season.

"I'm up to 310," he said. "I wanted to gain some weight. I want to report right around this weight, maybe 320. It was just eating, working out, and I gained the weight."

Jones says he talks regularly with Cane coaches as well as Jacory Harris, a teammate who enrolled at UM in January.

"He says to stay in shape because it's hard when you get down there," Jones said. "If you're not in shape you might fall out."

Jones is still working to qualify. He's previously scored a 15 on the ACT, and he says he needs "a 17 or 18" for admission to Miami.

"I took the test again, just took it, and I feel I did well," Jones said. "If I don't get that score I'll take it again - the last time is in June."

* Jones says he hopes to wear No. 55 this season. He says he plans to room with Brandon Washington.

That's a.ssuming Washington is qualified.

Jones says the lineman just took the test for the first time and is awaiting his results.

"We work out together," Jones said. "We talk about getting to Miami, that we don't want to get redshirted. We want to come in and play early."
 9 years ago '04        #3747
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
damn i ain't been here for a minute.. let me put some work ..
 9 years ago '04        #3748
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 24, 2008

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Lauderhill (FL) Plantation High School standout Brandon McGee took an unofficial visit to UM today.

"I got out to the school at 12, stayed till around 4:30," he said. "I met with the coaches, went around the school a little bit, toured the facilities."

He met with the entire coaching staff while on campus.

"I talked to coach (Wesley) McGriff the most, talked one-on-one with him, and one-on-one with coach (Randy) Shannon," McGee said. "Coach (Jeff) Stoutland gave me the tour of the facilities."

The message McGee got from Shannon and McGriff?

"Coach Shannon, he was talking to me about their needs at the cornerback position," McGee said. "He was telling me everything about the past players at the University of Miami, talking more to get to know me instead of just about football. Coach Shannon's a real cool dude. I could tell just from talking to him that he actually cares for his players.

"Coach McGriff, he was talking to me about playing DB at Miami. He told me they'll be hurting my senior year, in the coming year, at DB (numbers-wise), and he was talking about getting to know me better as a person. I can tell players can relate to him - he interacts real well."

McGee also bumped into several players while on campus.

"I talked to all the boys from the West [Miami Northwestern]," McGee said, "and a lot of other players, all the DBs. They were just talking to me, telling me facts to consider when making my decision."

McGee said he decided to take the visit "Just to get an official look at the school."

He says overall it "went pretty well," adding "The visit definitely opened my eyes about Miami."

This summer he plans to take several more visits. He's already visited Florida and Florida State but will visit them again, and he'll also visit Tennessee and Georgia. He says he'll "probably" also take trips to Notre Dame and Ohio State.

"I wouldn't say I have a leader at this point," McGee said. "Everything is pretty even."

When does he want to make a final decision?

"If not by the (end of) summer then by early January," he says.
 9 years ago '04        #3749
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 24, 2008

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Hurricane signee Benjamin Jones is preparing for life as a Miami Hurricane.

After choosing UM on signing day, the 6-foot-6 Jones is now following the Cane workout program he received in the mail as closely as possible.

"It's a little tough – it's a lot of running," he says.

Jones, who played both ways on the line in his high school career but will be an offensive lineman at Miami, says he's already gained 20 pounds since last season.

"I'm up to 310," he said. "I wanted to gain some weight. I want to report right around this weight, maybe 320. It was just eating, working out, and I gained the weight."

Jones says he talks regularly with Cane coaches as well as Jacory Harris, a teammate who enrolled at UM in January.

"He says to stay in shape because it's hard when you get down there," Jones said. "If you're not in shape you might fall out."

Jones is still working to qualify. He's previously scored a 15 on the ACT, and he says he needs "a 17 or 18" for admission to Miami.

"I took the test again, just took it, and I feel I did well," Jones said. "If I don't get that score I'll take it again - the last time is in June."

* Jones says he hopes to wear No. 55 this season. He says he plans to room with Brandon Washington.

That's a.ssuming Washington is qualified.

Jones says the lineman just took the test for the first time and is awaiting his results.

"We work out together," Jones said. "We talk about getting to Miami, that we don't want to get redshirted. We want to come in and play early."
 9 years ago '04        #3750
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
April 25, 2008

Jim Martz, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Naples High School OL Nick Alajajian is a high priority for the Hurricanes.

Just one problem: He currently lists Florida as his frontrunner.

"I like the way they play and me and (line coach) Steve Addazio started a good relationship," Alajajian said. "They don't have large numbers (of offensive linemen), so that's a good thing."

At the same time Alajajian says the Canes and Florida State are still very much in the running.

"I'm not saying Florida's way out in front," he said. "That's just my No. 1 right now. Miami and Florida State are coming real hard, so that's a good thing."

What does UM or FSU have to do to overtake UF?

"It's just a relationship thing," Alajajian said. "The relationship with the coaches is very important to me. I don't want somebody that's not real, that's not being real with me. I have to get along with the coaches."

He spoke more about Miami and FSU, which round out his top three with UF.

"Miami, it's real close to my house," he said. "Also my brother lives there, goes to FIU. So that's a good part, being close to my family. And Miami had a good recruiting class so that's going to turn things around there.

"Florida State, I got a chance to watch their spring game. It was pretty cool. I got to talk to all the coaches. It looks like they're going to be turning things around up there also."

Alajajian is up to 24 scholarship offers.

He says, aside from the relationship with coaches, something else he's looking at closely is "how fast I can make an impact."

Alajajian says UM is recruiting him as a tackle while UF has said it might use him at guard, center or tackle.

"If I don't make a final decision in July then I'll make it after my senior year," Alajajian said.

He says he'll "probably" visit Miami at some point this summer.
 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM         #3751
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Today, we catch up with linebacker Jordan Futch of Chaminade-Madonna. He missed most of his senior season after being suspended from the team for arguing with teammates, but has spent the last several months preparing for the season. Here is what the most vocal member of the 2008 recruiting class had to say:

SR: How are you spending the offseason?

JF: (Sounds of drilling in the back) I'm working for this plumbing company, digging holes with shovels and draining septic tanks. I'm on my break now. It's hard labor. It's almost like working out. I've been working here for about a month.

SR: Should Miami fans thank you for this recruiting class? It seems like you spent a lot of time on the phone convincing recruits.

JF: I felt like it was a necessity in me being a `Canes fan all my life and being a die-hard `Canes fan to go out and try to help get the best players in South Florida. I talked to Jacory (Harris) a lot, Joe Wylie a lot and Arthur Brown. I talked to everybody. I made a lot of phone calls. I did what I could.

SR: Your senior season obviously didn't end the way you wanted? Any regrets? Are you happy with how things played out between you and coach Al Lang?

JF: I have no regrets at all. Every situation you can learn from it and that was just a learning curve. I feel like it made me a better person overall. Me and coach Lang are good. As men, we came back and we shook hands. I learned from it.

SR: After it went down, what were the immediate conversations like with coach Randy Shannon?

JF: After that happened, there wasn't any problems. Coach Shannon understood the situation that happened. He just told me to calm down and now it's time to get focused on working out and getting myself prepared and start getting my mind right for college, the next level.

SR: The last time we spoke, you mentioned there was a chance you would move to tight end. Is that still a possibility?

JF: No, I'm a linebacker 100 percent. At the time, I thought it was a possibility. Right now, I just know I'll be coached by one of the best (UM linebackers coach Michael Barrow).

SR: You hit a snag with your early enrollment. Did it bother you at the spring game watching guys like Sean Spence and Arthur Brown make impacts.

JF: I can't say I was disappointed. It was a paperwork mix-up. When it comes to the collegiate level and admissions, the athletic department needs everything. It was a minor setback for me. I got a chance to have fun before going to college and being a full-time student and full-time athlete. I felt it was fun to watch (Spence and Brown) ball out in the spring game. To be honest, it just made me hungrier and want to go out there more.

SR: One thing I've noticed is you are Mr. Media when it comes to interviews. Any chance of overtaking Kayne Farquharson for that title when you get to UM?

JF: (Laughing) I don't know about that. I can try. Kayne is one of those guys that when he says something, he means it. He's serious about what he says. It could be a little competition between us.

SR: A couple of months ago, you said you were doing a serious workout program that involved waking up at 6 a.m. What was that all about?

JF: Oh yeah, I was doing crazy stuff. I wanted to mimic what they were doing at school, so I'd be at the weight room at 6. At noon, I was out there doing field work and then at 6 p.m., I would run. Because I'm working now, I've cut the morning stuff out, but I'm doing my running at night. After work, I do my workouts at L.A. Fitness. I really want to be in the best shape possible. If you're in shape, then the only thing you have to learn in the fall is the new system. I want to be able to run for hours at practice.
 9 years ago '04        #3752
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
thanx cap and caneboi
 9 years ago '07        #3753
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
the streak continues

hope kenny is successful
 04-27-2008, 06:39 PM         #3754
-Scddar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i wanted us to pick up kenny philips instead of antoine cason
honestly i never heard much about antoine
least you know what you're getting from miami
an equally safe pick as a USC pick
oh well
we had a good first day like y'all did
well
more like what we did
until y'all broke our record

anyway
i think kenny will work out fine for the g-men
but adjusting to that weather gonna be tough for him at first
 9 years ago '07        #3755
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
hey, can someone post this rivals article with all the weight room and speed results for the whole team?

9 years ago '06        #3756
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,706 | Props total: 12245 12245

:D
 9 years ago '04        #3757
booie4 
space
space
$4,878 | Props total: 597 597
Sam Shields again earned the title of Fastest HurricaneThe Hurricanes tested recently in the 10-yard dash, 40-yard dash, short shuttle and vertical.

And, for the second straight year, WR Sam Shields gets the nod as fastest Hurricane. He ran the fastest 40 in 4.28 seconds and the fastest 10 in 1.35 seconds and the fastest short shuttle in 4.12 seconds. He also had the second best vertical at 39 inches, 1.5 inches behind Carlos Armour.

"Sam, he's consistent in getting stronger but never losing speed," strength coach Andreu Swasey said. "That's the key - to get guys bigger and stronger but continue to keep our speed, because speed k!lls."

Swasey said Shields set the all-time fastest mark for a Cane last year with a 4.26-second 40 time.

"He ran a 4.28 this year, but he's gained 10 more pounds (he weighed in at 178 pounds)," Swasey said.

Here are the top performers from this year's testing:

40-YARD DASH
1. Sam Shields, 4.28 seconds
2. DVD, 4.30
3. Ryan Hill, 4.43
4T. Kayne Farquharson, 4.50
4T. Randy Phillips, 4.50
6T. Javarris James, 4.51
6T. Graig Cooper, 4.51
6T. Leonard Hankerson, 4.51
9T. Richard Gordon, 4.53
9T. Carlos Armour, 4.53
11. Shawnbrey McNeal, 4.56
12. Colin McCarthy, 4.58

Other noteworthy results: Dedrick Epps, 4.62; Chavez Grant, 4.65; Chris Zellner, 4.66; Damien Berry, 4.66; Aldarius Johnson, 4.67; Lee Chambers, 4.68; Daniel Adderley, 4.71; Arthur Brown, 4.75; Sean Spence, 4.76; Kylan Robinson, 4.82; Allen Bailey, 4.83; Courtney Harris, 4.87; Jared Campbell, 4.92; Xavier Shannon, 4.99; Orlando Franklin, 5.03; Marcus Forston, 5.03; Joel Figueroa, 5.11; Tyrone Byrd, 5.18; Jason Fox, 5.28.

VERTICAL
1. Carlos Armour, 41.5 inches
2T. Sam Shields, 39
2T. Randy Phillips, 39
4T. Allen Bailey, 38.5
4T. Lee Chambers, 38.5
6T. Bruce Johnson, 38
6T. Dedrick Epps, 38
6T. Colin McCarthy, 38
9T. Graig Cooper, 37.5
9T. Tervaris Johnson, 37.5

Other noteworthy results: Spencer Adkins, 37; Khalil Jones, 36.5; Damien Berry, 36.5; Kayne Farquharson, 36.5; Daniel Adderley, 36.5; Javarris James, 36; Chavez Grant, 36; Eric Houston, 36; Joseph Nicolas, 36; Sean Spence, 36; Lovon Ponder, 35; Richard Gordon, 35; Romeo Davis, 35; Adewale Ojomo, 34; Jason Fox, 33; Orlando Franklin, 32.5; Joel Figueroa, 32; Matt Pipho, 32; Marcus Forston, 31.5; Chris Rutledge, 31.

10-YARD DASH

1. Sam Shields, 1.35 seconds
2. J Davis (walkon), 1.40
3. DVD 1.41
4T. Randy Phillips, 1.42
4T. Leonard Hankerson, 1.42
6. Kayne Farquharson, 1.43
7T. Joseph Nicolas, 1.45
7T. Javarris James, 1.45
7T. Aldarius Johnson, 1.45
7T. Carlos Armour, 1.45

Other noteworthy results: Ryan Hill, 1.46; Lee Chambers, 1.46; Shawnbrey McNeal, 1.46; Dedrick Epps, 1.48; Tervaris Johnson, 1.48; Chris Zellner, 1.49; Richard Gordon, 1.49

Of the 10-yard dash, Swasey said, "(Testing in the 10 is about) an explosive get-off start. You're blazing at 1.3's. The fastest 40's should have the fastest 10's. And the 10 is indicative of your vertical."

SHORT SHUTTLE

1. Sam Shields, 4.12 seconds
2. DVD, 4.17
3. Ryan Hill, 4.19
4. Leonard Hankerson, 4.21
5. Lee Chambers, 4.23
6. Sean Spence, 4.24
7T. Darryl Sharpton, 4.25
7T. Shawnbrey McNeal, 4.25
7T. J Davis (walkon), 4.25
7T. Daniel Adderley, 4.25

Other noteworthy results: Glenn Cook, 4.26; Jared Campbell, 4.30; Graig Cooper, 4.31; Eric Houston, 4.31; Chris Zellner, 4.31; Dedrick Epps, 4.35; Kylan Robinson, 4.35; Damien Berry, 4.37; Joseph Nicolas, 4.37; Aldarius Johnson, 4.38; Colin McCarthy, 4.38; Allen Bailey, 4.50; Carlos Armour, 4.56; Patrick Hill, 4.61

* In quarterback testing, Jacory Harris weighed in at 175 pounds and 7.4 percent body fat. He ran the short shuttle in 4.34 seconds and had a 4.77-second 40 time.

Cannon Smith ran the 40 in 5.0 seconds and had a 4.55-second 40 time.

And Robert Marve weighed in at 202 pounds with 8.8 percent body fat. He ran the 40 in 4.85 seconds and had a 4.53-second short shuttle time.

* Some other noteable information:

Allen Bailey weighed in at 286 pounds and with 9.7 percent body fat. Aldarius Johnson weighed in at 204 pounds with 9.9 percent body fat.

And several players were below the lowest body fat percentage of 5 that Swasey likes to see: Lee Chambers (4.6), Kayne Farquharson (4.9), Khalil Jones (at 220 pounds he has 4.3 percent body fat), Jermaine McKenzie (at 171 pounds he has 4.0 percent body fat) and Shawnbrey McNeal (at 188 pounds he has 4.4 percent body fat).

Antonio Dixon weighed in at 330 pounds and 23.7 percent body fat. Marcus Forston tested at 24.4 percent body fat. Orlando Franklin tipped the scales at 347 pounds, and Joel Figueroa made a 30-pound jump up from last year at 343 pounds.

Swasey said there's a nutritionist on staff, which is a reason he does the body fat percentage testing.

"If there's anything that gets out of hand I refer them to the nutritionist," Swasey said.

Swasey says all the players on the team aren't given any specific nutritional regimen but that "We monitor and educate them. We teach them good habits, because this is something that they have to do when they're away from (us). We're back on the meal plan that they have on campus. We educate them on eating in the cafeteria, make sure we're giving them the meals they need."

Swasey says it's recommended that some players have protein shakes, but he adds, "I don't think Orlando Franklin needs another Muscle Milk."

* Of his overall feeling on the speed testing and vertical testing, Swasey said, "I'm happy. It gives me an indicator of where we are. I'm very pleased thus far with where we're at.
 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM         #3758
-Scddar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
@ sam shields
that name has a nice ring to it
:rasta:

real close to mine
 9 years ago '04        #3759
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 -Scar- said:
i wanted us to pick up kenny philips instead of antoine cason
honestly i never heard much about antoine
least you know what you're getting from miami
an equally safe pick as a USC pick
oh well
we had a good first day like y'all did
well
more like what we did
until y'all broke our record

anyway
i think kenny will work out fine for the g-men
but adjusting to that weather gonna be tough for him at first
K.P. will do well in new york, although seeing him team up with antonio cromartie and quentin jammer wouldve been nice
 9 years ago '04        #3760
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
8 questions with the `08 Class (Brandon Harris)

Caught up with Booker T. Washington cornerback Brandon Harris this afternoon. Harris was the state of Florida's Gatorade Player of the Year, and helped lead BTW to the Class 4A championship. Some say Harris may have been the state's best corner, minus the recruiting circus. Here's what Harris is talking about these days:

SR: One of the things I noticed about you was leadership, especially after the Dwyer game. Is that something you take pride in?

BH: I take a lot of pride in it. I was told you can't teach a person how to be a leader. Sometimes, you are just born with it. I learned from the players before me (at Booker T). It's kind of the way I learned to play the game. I watched the guys that were back on my brother's teams (UM track star Tim Harris). I learned from watching guys like (current UM cornerback) Chavez Grant. They showed me how to be a leader.

SR: You moved around at several positions, playing cornerback, wide receiver and quarterback. Can we expect that at UM?

BH: That would've been fun, but it's not in the plans. I'm focusing on just playing corner. I like the defensive side of the ball. You can play with more emotion on defense.

SR: All the UM fans were so hung up on Ely's Patrick Johnson last season. Did it bother you so much attention went to him?

BH: No, it didn't bother me at all. I had seen Patrick play. He was a great player. Who wouldn't want him on campus? He's a little bigger than me, but I wouldn't say he's more physical. He has the size on me, but besides that we're pretty much identical.

SR: You had a minor ankle injury that kept you out most of the track season. How does it feel now?

BH: I tore ligaments in my right ankle. It was in the state playoffs and I didn't have time to stop playing. After I played in the All-Star games, I took a couple of months off. It was minor. I'm fine now. I ran a little track at the end of the season. Now, I'm back running just to stay in shape.

SR: Not to keep asking you comparison questions, but the foundation of this class is based on the Miami Northwestern players. Is that something you, Davon Johnson and Thearon Collier would like to change?

BH: Yeah, we feel sometimes they should mention us more. Miami Northwestern did a great job. They won the national title and you would be a fool not to mention them when you mention Miami. We try not to let that bother us. We can't control that. It's nothing against Northwestern, but we'd like more publicity for our school.

SR: Ok, I want your honest opinion. If there was some way do it after last season, who would've won if Northwestern faced Booker T for the state championship at Traz Powell Stadium? How fun would that game have been?

BH: The game would've been real fun. The turnout would've been amazing. I can't explain how many people would have been there. Of course, we would've won. We would have been better prepared for the game because coming in Northwestern would have thought it was just another game.

SR: All the UM coaches are real high on you and expect immediate production. If you had it to do over, would you have tried to enroll early instead of wanting to enjoy your last semester of high school?

BH: No, not at all. I wanted to enjoy high school It's only one semester. It won't hurt me much. I'm from Miami. I'm around that environment all the time. It's not like I'm missing out on that much.

SR: What's the latest on your father and Booker T. coach Tim Harris joining the UM staff? How do you feel about that possibility?

BH: As of right now, it's official. He's coming to Miami. I'm not sure the title of his job, but he's going to be working with the football program. It means a lot to me. It's going to be fun. We won't be able to work together as much as we did in high school, but we're looking forward to it.
Home      

most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
182 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
64 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
is there any bigger simp in film history?
269 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Trailer Teaser
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Nintendo shows off Super Mario Run & Nintendo Switch on Tonight Show
55 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 8 - Mark Cuban: Trump is our number one draft pick
32 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy