Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #3541
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
Scrimmage night

Just got back home from watching the Canes scrimmage for the first time this spring. My first thought: I hadn't realized I'd forgotten what it is like to watch a good quarterback lead The U.

For those of you worried about how freshmen Robert Marve and Jacory Harris looked, let me just preface this by saying they looked better already than anything you've seen in quite some time. Both were sharp, poised, and deadly accurate in Patrick Nix's offense. And here's the best part if you are a Canes fan -- their receivers only made a handful of drops.

All in all, it was a very impressive night for UM's young quarterbacks -- even if the scoreboard doesn't reflect it. Miami's offense only put up 10 points on 13 possessions. But between Harris, Marve and Cannon Smith, Miami's pass offense went a combined 26 of 36 for 236 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs. No, there was no official statistician. But like many other writers on the sidelines, I took stats and account of the play by play.

Coach Randy Shannon was the only person available to speak with reporters after the scrimmage. (HIS AUDIO). Here are some highlights, lowlights and notes on who else was impressive...

* Running back Javarris James scored the scrimmage's only touchdown on a 7-yard run on the opening possession. James only had two carries for 11 yards, but he made a pretty move on the TD run, cutting back across the grain and breaking a pair of tackles on his way in for the score. He also caught 2 passes for 15 yards.

* Defensive end Allen Bailey made quite the impression when he leveled Shawnbrey McNeal in the backfield for a 4-yard loss. On the ensuing series, Bailey destroyed Reggie Youngblood off the ball and chased down Jacory Harris for a 14-yard loss. He also was on another half sack with linebacker Daryl Sharpton moments later.

* The centers -- Xavier Shannon, Tyler Horne and Matt Pipho -- all struggled with their snaps. I counted four bad snaps in all, two high, one short and another that Cannon Smith bobbled, then fumbled and defensive end Adewale Ojomo pounced on for a fumble recovery inside the defense's 20-yard line.

* Senior Kayne Farquharson led all receivers with five catches for 51 yards. But he also dropped a potential touchdown pass on a perfect pass from Marve on a deep route. Farquharson had burned Chavez Grant downfield. The drop was inexcusable.

* Sophomore Leonard Hankerson had the tough run of the night when he caught a short pass from Marve on 3rd and 15 and rumbled 14 yards and just short of the marker. Hankerson had 3 catches for 32 yards by my count. Freshman Aldarius Johnson caught four passes -- all short routes -- for 11 yards.

* Freshman kicker Jake Wieclaw ended the scrimmage by drilling a 44-yard field goal. Randy Shannon told reporters Miami kicked three field goals, but it was actually two. Junior walk-on Alex Uribe, the son of famed UM doctor John Uribe, missed a 41-yarder off the post on UM's second possession.

* I was impressed by the play of cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke. On one deep Marve pass, he ran stride for stride with Sam Shields downfield before knocking the pinpoint pass away cleanly. He definitely looks like UM's best coverman.

* Freshman linebacker Sean Spence is without question talented and smart enough to be a starter on this defense -- I don't care if Colin McCarthy comes back or not. He made several nice open field tackles and made a huge hit on Graig Cooper for a 5-yard loss, reading the play perfectly. Fellow freshman Arthur Brown made a nice play too, when he brought down receiver Ryan Hill in the middle of the field with one hand. Brown grabbed Hill by the shoulder pads and threw him to the ground.

* Coach Randy Shannon said he's not sure if receiver Jermaine McKenzie (who had a boot on his left foot) would return this spring. It definitely doesn't look good for sophomore defensive tackle Josh Holmes (he had a full cast on his left leg).

PASSING STATS
Marve: 13 of 18, 104 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs. His longest pass was a 15-yard completion to Khalil Jones. He had two passes dropped downfield -- one by Shields and one by Farquharson. Marve also made a pair of nice runs to pick up first downs.
J. Harris: 11 of 14, 78 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs. His longest pass was a 17-yard completion downfield to Kayne Farquharson. Jacory was sacked twice, but all in all proved to be not too far behind Marve in terms of touch, accuracy and poise in the pocket.
C. Smith: 2 of 4, 54 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs. Smith only played in three series -- so much for equal snaps. He hit a wide open Richard Gordon on a blown coverage for a 50-yard gain. He then bobbled and fumbled a bad snap inside the red zone.

RUSHING STATS: G. Cooper 6-15; J. James 2-11, TD; S. McNeal 4-0; Marve 3-12; D. Thomas 2-6; J. Harris 4-(-23); L. Chambers 8-8; C. Smith 1-0.

RECEIVING STATS: Farquharson 5-51, Shields 1-5, Cooper 1-6, A. Johnson 4-11; L. Hankerson 3-32; R. Hill 2-13; D. Thomas 1-13; K. Jones 2-22; L. Chambers 2-11; R. Gordon 2-53; J. Calhoun 1-4.
 9 years ago '04        #3542
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space

-Just checking in from Traz Powell. Great place to see a game if you've never been before. The announcer, Willie Wilcox, is legendary. Among my favorites calls are his "Remember" chant and nicknames for players. Aldarius "Glue Hands" Johnson is one of my favorites.

The `Canes arrived a little late because of traffic. As of 6:53 p.m., the scrimmage had yet to start.

Here's a few updates:

-Jermaine McKenzie won't play. His left foot is in a boot. Will have more details later.

-Doesn't look good for Josh Holmes. His left leg is in a full cast.

-Among the incoming players in attendance are: Brandon Washington, Brandon Harris, and Davon Johnson.

I'll provide updates throughout for those who were unable to make it down here.

SCRIMMAGE NOTES:

-Marve is the first QB in the game. First completion was to Sam Shields.

-Starting WRs: Sam Shields and Leonard Hankerson.

-Starting DB: Anthony Redd*ck, Lovon Ponder, DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chavez Grant

-Starting DEs: Allen Bailey and Eric Moncur.

-Sean Spence has made an early appearance at LB.

-Graig Cooper just caught a swing pass, and put a move that made Glenn Cook look silly.

-9-yard TD by Javarris James. He looks a lot quicker this season. Made two defenders miss. We didn't see him run lateral much last year, but that run proves he may be back.

-Matt Bosher kicked the first extra point.

-Jacory Harris is now in the game. His first completion? Naturally a square out to former teammate Aldarius Johnson.

-J. Harris looks awfully sharp. Just threw his first incompletion, missing a wide open Ryan Hill.

-Uh, oh. Kicking game woes already? Jake Wieclaw just missed a 40-yarder.

-End of the "first quarter." Marve is back in the game.

-Marve just broke out the big gun. He threw a perfect deep ball, but was dropped by Kayne Farquharson.

-Spence continues to impress. He just ran down Cooper for a 5-yard loss.

-So far, Leonard Hankerson and Aldarius Johnson have been the most active WRs. Hankerson has really improved. He just caught a bubble screen for a 14-yard gain.

-Great play by DeMarcus Van Dyke. He was locked in single coverage with Sam Shields. Marve went for it all, but Van Dyke was with Shields every step to make the deflection.

-Cannon Smith enters with a bang. He just hit Richard Gordon for a 50-yard catch. Gordon was caught from behind by Bruce Johnson.

-Oops. C. Smith's drive ends with him fumbling at the 10-yardline. It was recovered by Adewale Ojomo. He's a name to watch.

-So far, John Calhous has received most of the time at FB.

-Marcus Forston makes his first tackle of the game. He's playing defensive tackle.

-Oh boy. Allen Bailey just destroyed Shawnbrey McNeal for a 4-yard loss. You could hear the impact up here in the press box.

-A "sack" by Bailey on Jacory Harris.

-I think we just saw one of Bill Young's hidden blitzes. They sent the house and J. Harris had no idea what to do. 10-yard sack by Eric Houston.

-Big hit by Spence on Aldarius Johnson, but Johnson is so big he didn't go down. Forston had to come over to finish the job for a 4-yard loss on a screen.

-Kayne Farqurharson just faked Carlos Armour on an out-and-up move and wide open, but Marve underthrew him. Armour made up the ground to make the play. The throw was nearly 50 yards in the air.

-"Sack" by Joe Joseph.

-Spence is "flyin around." Just tackled Derron Thomas for a 3-yard loss.

-43-yard field goal by Wieclaw to end things. The scrimmage was called because of lightning in the area.

I'll check in after I grab quotes.

Later.
told yall "big boss" bailey's gonna be a problem!!:applause::wow:
 9 years ago '07        #3543
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
Man, I cannot wait til the season starts
 9 years ago '06        #3544
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928
bailey :wow:

DVD is making tackles and hes lockdown :wow:

sean spence is a fu*king beast, hes gonna be a start as a freshman :wow:

marve could of had 2 Td's long passes if they werent dropped but the recievers did good as welll

cant wait to see what the Fall recruits hhave to throw in :wow:
 9 years ago '04        #3545
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,024 | Props total: 2216 2216
Bailey is a monster, I was real bummed he didn't end up a Gator.
 9 years ago '04        #3546
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM FOOTBALL
UM quarterbacks make good first impression
Robert Marve, Jacory Harris and Cannon Smith put on an aerial display that pleased coach Randy Shannon.
Posted on Fri, Mar. 07, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

PATRICK FARRELL/MIAMI HERALD STAFF
University of Miami quarterback Robert Marve conducts the offense during a scrimmage Thursday at Traz Powell Stadium in North Miami. According to unofficial statistics, Marve completed 13 of 18 passes for 104 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions.
More Photos The 2,500 or so University of Miami football fans who packed one side of Traz Powell Stadium on Thursday night witnessed something so foreign, so shocking, it might have left them wondering if they were seeing things.

They were: a sustained aerial offense. And after watching new quarterbacks Robert Marve and Jacory Harris open the first intrasquad spring scrimmage with nine consecutive completions -- not to mention a 50-yard pass by Cannon Smith to tight end Richard Gordon -- they likely left with something they might not have had in a long, long time: hope.

''A lot of completions, a lot of completions . . . It was great to see,'' a visibly pleased coach Randy Shannon said of his young newcomers after the 90-minute practice.

``[Receiver] Aldarius Johnson made a couple of plays tonight, the young running backs did a nice job and the quarterback play was pretty good. I saw a redshirt guard, Joel Figueroa, block and do some things, [defensive tackle] Marcus Forston, [linebacker] Sean Spence made a lot of plays tonight.

''And the quarterbacks managed the game and moved the ball down the field,'' Shannon said. ``But like I told those guys, we have to score points. We feel like if we can give our quarterbacks time, we can move the ball down the field.''

MARVE CONFIDENT

Marve, a redshirt freshman wearing No. 9 on his orange jersey, appeared poised, confident and deadly accurate. He opened the scrimmage with five completions during the Canes' only touchdown drive -- 65 yards on 10 plays, capped by a juking, impressive 8-yard run by Javarris James. Marve began the night by connecting with Sam Shields for 9 yards. A couple plays later, he hit Shields for another 5, and then eventually completed passes of 6 yards to Graig Cooper, and 4 and 9 yards to Kayne Farquharson.

Two of Marve's third-down conversions on the scoring drive were made with passes. He also threw deep passes. One was batted down near the end zone on a beautiful play by cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke. Another, to Farquharson, was underthrown, and Farquharson dropped the other. And yet, another seemed to hit Shields in the hands, but bounced away.

Marve, who ran fast and seemed calm and in control when he left the pocket, got the ball back at least four times. According to unofficial statistics, he completed 13 of 18 passes for 104 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions.

Freshman Jacory Harris, just weeks out of high school, also impressed. He hit his Miami Northwestern teammate Aldarius Johnson his first two plays, for 4 and 8 yards. He also completed passes of 17 and 11 yards to Farquharson during that initial drive.

Harris completed 11 of 14 for 78 yards.

And Cannon Smith completed 2 of 4 passes for 54 yards. Smith got three series.

Shannon wouldn't let his players talk, but former UM star running back Edgerrin James was on the scene, and very happy with the practice.

''They looked good -- and calm,'' he said of the quarterbacks. ``They were getting pressure coming and still looking extremely good. Their decision-making is great. When they saw nothing there, they didn't force it. [Marve] would go to the line of scrimmage and knew exactly when to cross it and when not to. Those guys are big-time.''

Defensively, sophomore Allen Bailey, who was converted from linebacker to defensive end, crunched Shawnbrey McNeal in the backfield for a 4-yard loss. He also sacked Harris for a 14-yard loss, and combined on a sack with Darryl Sharpton and Eric Houston. Linebacker Sean Spence also made some big hits, including one on Cooper for a 5-yard loss.

On special teams, the Hurricanes made 1 of 2 field-goal attempts. The first, attempted by walk-on Alex Uribe, was from 41 yards, hit the left upright and bounced wide left. The next, kicked by freshman Jake Wieclaw, was good from 43 yards.

The biggest negative was that centers Tyler Horn, Matt Pipho and Xavier Shannon had problems snapping. Horn sent some high snaps and Shannon sent one bouncing. One of the snaps was fumbled by Smith, and then recovered by defensive end Adewale Ojomo.

INJURY REPORT

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Jermaine McKenzie, who returned to spring ball after sitting out 2007 following a car accident in which he broke three vertebrae in his neck, came to Traz Powell with a boot on his left foot. Shannon said he wasn't sure how long McKenzie would be out. . . . Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Josh Holmes arrived on crutches, with his left leg in a high cast that went under his shorts. Tackle Orlando Franklin, also injured before Thursday, has a brace on his left wrist and forearm.
 9 years ago '06        #3547
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
 1000bluntz said:
Bailey is a monster, I was real bummed he didn't end up a Gator.
i believe most were calling him a georgia bulldawg

thats until the closer they called shannon come in

steals a huge OOS commit before he ever coached a game

had a 5-7 season than goes on to steal OOS commit from cali VT who is :wow:

then CJ holton from FSU in there territory and his teamate was NH :wow:

then he went to Palm Bay :wow: Palm Bay outta all school and took Cookie

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

one a huge battle in the AB sweepstakes

when we start winning just imagine

shannon recruiting is whoa :wow:

:rasta:
 9 years ago '04        #3548
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
bailey was strongly considering florida, alabama, and miami

but once shannon sat down with momma bailey it was a wrap:applause:
 9 years ago '06        #3549
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
our stadium is gonna be were they play super bowls @

as for ranking we will go in unranked
 9 years ago '04        #3550
1000bluntz 
space
space
I'm not even trying to hate but I can't even imagine how badly Meyer and the Gators want to stomp out Miami next season, sh*t should be intense as fu*k. Still I don't think Miami stands a chance at all and that's not even my hate talking. Still can't wait for this college football sh*t to start, it's painful waiting for the season to begin every year. And for Miami's sake I hope that Shannon actually is a good coach and not the buffoon I think he is because I need them to take out FSU every year. For some reason I think he might wind up for y'all like Zook did to us. Get great fu*king players but doesn't do sh*t with them.

Last edited by 1000bluntz; 03-07-2008 at 03:48 PM..
 9 years ago '04        #3551
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 1000bluntz said:
I'm not even trying to hate but I can't even imagine how badly Meyer and the Gators want to stomp out Miami next season, sh*t should be intense as fu*k. Still I don't think Miami stands a chance at all and that's not even my hate talking. Still can't wait for this college football sh*t to start, it's painful waiting for the season to begin every year. And for Miami's sake I hope that Shannon actually is a good coach and not the buffoon I think he is because I need them to take out FSU every year. For some reason I think he might wind up for y'all like Zook did to us. Get great fu*king players but doesn't do sh*t with them.
that a**hole meyer will try to put up 50 on us, i have no doubt about that.

and shannon's got a year under his belt and i expect him to fare alot better than he did last season.
 9 years ago '04        #3552
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Simba said:
I Think The U Will Officially Become My 2nd Fave/East Coast/ Southern Team....Too Similar To Southern Cal To Not fu*k With....

So On That Note.....

1.) What's The Deal With The Stadium Situation?

2.) What's The Early Word On Preseason Ranking?
the hurricanes are sharing dolphin stadium with the marlins and dolphins. theyre in the midst of renovating, it'll be one of the best stadiums in america when it's done.

miami wont be in the top-25, too much unproven talent at all the major skill positions.

i fu*ks with the trojans, all the hate they get when theyre on top reminds me of the old miami teams
 9 years ago '07        #3553
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 1000bluntz said:
Not gonna lie, Gators probably will beat the 'canes and like madness said, Urban def will try and run up the score. On the other hand, I have faith in Shannon and in about 2 years, we should be back to national prominence when the recruiting classes start paying off and Marve/Harris is experienced.

with that said, if the U beats florida........you'll never hear the end of it
 9 years ago '06        #3554
ANOMOLIE 
space
space
$247 | Props total: 0 0
The Empire Strikes Back!
 9 years ago '04        #3555
1000bluntz 
space
space
 ttime236 said:
Not gonna lie, Gators probably will beat the 'canes and like madness said, Urban def will try and run up the score. On the other hand, I have faith in Shannon and in about 2 years, we should be back to national prominence when the recruiting classes start paying off and Marve/Harris is experienced.

with that said, if the U beats florida........you'll never hear the end of it
I know you motherfu*kers would be brutal as fu*k if the U wins . That's why when Florida takes care of business I'll be talking mad sh*t. It's about time I have that right against y'all n*ggas .
 03-07-2008, 09:13 PM         #3556
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 1000bluntz said:
I know you motherfu*kers would be brutal as fu*k if the U wins . That's why when Florida takes care of business I'll be talking mad sh*t. It's about time I have that right against y'all n*ggas .
Yo i Aint hating on you gator. But why the fu*k you gotta add you .02 when it comes to hurricane football news and add your gator sprinkle on it?

Dont you crocs got your own thread?
 03-07-2008, 09:14 PM         #3557
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
BTW...

Last Nights Scrimmage Highlights

03-08-2008, 02:39 AM         #3558
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 madness said:
the hurricanes are sharing dolphin stadium with the marlins and dolphins. theyre in the midst of renovating, it'll be one of the best stadiums in america when it's done.

miami wont be in the top-25, too much unproven talent at all the major skill positions.

i fu*ks with the trojans, all the hate they get when theyre on top reminds me of the old miami teams

I Feel Ya...We're Actually Going Through A Stadum Issue Ourselves With The Colossiem.....

Sharing A Stadium Sucks a.ss...I Shutter At The Thought Of Sharing With UCLA....

How Long Til The New Stadium Is Completed???
 9 years ago '04        #3559
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
 1000bluntz said:
my man, you know im be all over it when we go into Canesville and leave victorious again.
 9 years ago '04        #3560
1000bluntz 
space
space
 Sh0wty said:
Yo i Aint hating on you gator. But why the fu*k you gotta add you .02 when it comes to hurricane football news and add your gator sprinkle on it?

Dont you crocs got your own thread?
I figured it doesn't matter. It only makes for more fun discussion when rivals drop their two cents, that's why I'd like to see you bi*ches and others post in my Gator thread every now and again but it's all good. Most of the times I talk sh*t but it's all in good fun and every so often I drop knowledge on you suckas that actually wanna hear it as well.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
196 comments
2 days ago