most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Melissa Ford !!
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
66 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '06        #3521
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,595 | Props total: 12025 12025
big ups CRIP
 9 years ago '04        #3522
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Tough transition for Hurricanes' QBs
Posted on Thu, Feb. 28, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

PATRICK FARRELL / MIAMI HERALD STAFF
New Canes wide receivers coach Aubrey Hill gives players some instructions during practice.
Video | Battling to be UM's quarterback
University of Miami offensive coordinator Patrick Nix knows the transition from veteran to rookie quarterback won't be seamless.

''It's tough,'' Nix said Wednesday, the lone day a.ssistant coaches are accessible to the media. ``You've got to shelter them a little bit, put them in situations and then try to not put too much on them. But at the same time, it's also fun because you have a clean slate. They don't have good experiences, but they don't have bad experiences either.''

Nix, in his second year at UM, said he doesn't care which of his unusually large crop of receivers gets open, as long as someone gets the ball. He said the biggest challenge with three spring-practice quarterbacks who never have played in a college game is getting each enough snaps to determine who will emerge as the favorite.

''The problem is getting reps,'' Nix said. ``Obviously, they all need reps to see who can do what before we start shuffling around the reps.''

On Tuesday, when quarterbacks were made available, freshman Jacory Harris said he wasn't nervous a bit. ''Pressure busts pipes,'' he said. 'I take every day like it's supposed to be fun. I'm never nervous. I don't get rattled. Coach Nix asked me before practice, `I bet you're nervous?' I said, 'No, Coach. It's just a regular day for me.' ''

Nix said of quarterbacks Harris, Cannon Smith and Robert Marve: ``At times, they've been very poised and handled things very well and at other times, they've panicked a little bit. But the good thing is they haven't panicked and made a game-changing mistake the first two practices.

``I don't think we've had an interception yet -- knock on wood.''

New wide receivers coach Aubrey Hill said the first two days his players have done everything has asked. ''They've run their routes well and they're catching balls,'' he said, ``but we've still got a long way to go.''

Northwestern High's Aldarius Johnson, a strong, physical presence at 6-2 and 200 pounds, has impressed in the short time he has been in Coral Gables. ''He has done a great job learning the system and running his routes,'' Hill said. ``We just have to work with the whole group on fundamentals.''

TRUMP NOW GUARD

Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland said former center A.J. Trump has moved to guard, leaving Florida International transfer Xavier Shannon, Matt Pipho and Tyler Horn competing for the starting center spot.

''They're all working with the ones, rotating through,'' Stoutland said.

He said Shannon is doing well. ``For a guy who just got here to be able to learn the system and make all the calls -- he's very bright. You can tell he's from a football family.''

QUITE IMPRESSED

Cornerback Chavez Grant is pretty impressed with new defensive coordinator Bill Young -- for an old guy.

''He's real nice,'' Grant said. ``I really like him. He's real energetic, always smiling. For him to be up in age . . . I really don't know [how old] he is, but he runs around good and is very active.

``We're still going to blitz and we're still going to play man, but we're going to mix in a little zone, so it'll be different.''

Young, 61, said he was very happy to be at Miami after helping lead a once unheralded Kansas defense to 12 victories and the Orange Bowl title last season. ``We've just had two practices. I'm kind of learning on the run. It's a real positive atmosphere right now. We have some big, fast guys who are very athletic. They're tuned in and want to learn. I'm excited about the prospects.''

MAKING A POINT

UM coach Randy Shannon has stripped the U from all helmets worn by new players or redshirt freshmen who didn't travel with the team last season. ''Coach Shannon said we have to earn the U on our helmets,'' receiver Jermaine McKenzie said.
 9 years ago '05        #3523
booker20 
space
space
$10,295 | Props total: 0 0
is Aldarius Johnson 1st team? and Why the hell did ya'll recruit Cannon Smith? I hope Jacory wins the startin job, hes gonna be the truth...
 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM         #3524
arsenal624 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
props for the pics c.r.i.p. GO CANES!
 9 years ago '05        #3525
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
i dont understand the stipping the U away from the helmets, hes talking about in practice right?
 9 years ago '05        #3526
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
 Deeangoe said:
i dont understand the stipping the U away from the helmets, hes talking about in practice right?
Yea its just in practice that why i dont think its a big deal. And i guess if they dont earn the u then they wont play but im not sure.
 9 years ago '04        #3527
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,027 | Props total: 2227 2227

DT Marcus Forston is happy to be with his fellow Miami Northwestern freshmen teammates Sean Spence, Jacory Harris and Aldarius Johnson at UM.

He says the four of them are close.

Very close.

“Everyone says we’re like quadruplets,” Forston said. “Every day everybody sees us together. We take a shower together, go to class together, do everything together. We wait for the shower to clear out, go in there and talk. We go to the bathroom together, everything. So that’s the bond we need this year.”

Some things are better left unsaid n*gga

Between this and Randy Shannon's comments about butt buddies I think they should just take this program and move to San Francisco, fu*king homos.

@ the picture and the caption under it, sh*t is beyond funny.
 9 years ago '04        #3528
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,792 | Props total: 1397 1397
 1000bluntz said:

DT Marcus Forston is happy to be with his fellow Miami Northwestern freshmen teammates Sean Spence, Jacory Harris and Aldarius Johnson at UM.

He says the four of them are close.

Very close.

“Everyone says we’re like quadruplets,” Forston said. “Every day everybody sees us together. We take a shower together, go to class together, do everything together. We wait for the shower to clear out, go in there and talk. We go to the bathroom together, everything. So that’s the bond we need this year.”

Some things are better left unsaid n*gga

Between this and Randy Shannon's comments about butt buddies I think they should just take this program and move to San Francisco, fu*king homos.

@ the picture and the caption under it, sh*t is beyond funny.
at this coming from a guy whose QB licks other dudes faces
 9 years ago '04        #3529
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,027 | Props total: 2227 2227
 C.R.I.P. said:
at this coming from a guy whose QB licks other dudes faces
Maybe but that doesn't make these guys at Miami any less gay does it?
 03-02-2008, 01:01 PM         #3530
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
CANES CLOSING ON NEW COMMITMENT

Miami American High School defensive end Olivier Vernon got a Hurricane offer last month.

And he took an unofficial visit to UM with his coach yesterday.

"It was fun," the 6-foot-3, 230-pounder with 4.8-second speed said. "I felt welcome. I met all the coaches. They were saying to join the family and go where your heart is."

It appears that is Miami.

Vernon lists a top five of UM, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina and Florida State. The five are among more than 15 offers he currently lists.

But it's Miami that is at the top.

"Miami's way in front," Vernon said. "Alabama is No. 2."

It may not take long for the Canes to land Vernon's commitment. He says "it's possible" he will be committing by the end of the weekend.

"Soon I will decide," Vernon said. "I don't know when, but maybe by the end of the weekend."

Vernon is compared to Jason Taylor - a shorter version, of course - by his coach, who says Vernon's quickness is outstanding.

Vernon arrived in high school without any organized football experience - he played soccer growing up. He came out for the team as a freshman 170-pounder and was put at defensive end. He's been there ever since.

As a sophomore he had 42 tackles and seven sacks, and last year he opened eyes with 52 tackles, 12.5 sacks and 18 tackles for losses.
 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM         #3531
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
DEFENSE WINS SATURDAYS PRACTICE

The Hurricanes practiced in full pads for two hours Saturday. And it was a virtual toss-up at the end of practice as to which unit won – each day Randy Shannon declares either the offense or defense winners, and the other group has to do sprints.

Today the team did extensive third down work, and the offense converted four of six third-and-long situations. But the defense held for the most part on third-and short, winning that aspect of practice.

With running sprints on the line, the offense converted one third down and the defense stopped the offense the next time.

So it came down to the Oklahoma Drill at the very end of practice as to which unit would run.

"We won the third-and-short, but they won the third-and-long, so we needed a tie-breaker," CB Chavez Grant said.

"Everything was third down, blitz, third and long – there were no touchdowns today," WR Jermaine McKenzie said.

DE Eric Moncur won the first head-to-head battle in the Oklahoma Drill, then an offensive player won, and then DB Anthony Redd*ck sealed the day for the defense by pancaking his man.

"(Coach Randy Shannon) let us choose, and we chose those guys to go in," Grant said.

The offense dutifully did their running while the defense watched on.

After practice several players were punished – Romeo Davis, Tervaris Johnson, Tyrone Byrd, Ian Symonette and Chris Rutledge did up-downs across the length of the field while Joe Joseph did rolie-polies across the field.

Coach Randy Shannon wouldn't say why the players were punished.

"That's team rules," he said.

* The defense had one fumble recovery today – Shawnbrey McNeal coughed it up. So after practice he was forced to run the length of the field with running backs coach Tommie Robinson, falling on a ball Robinson would drop every five yards.

* RB Lee Chambers says the running game is "doing real well" this spring.

"I have to give credit to the offensive line," Chambers said. "They did a great job last year, but since we've been out here in the spring it's the same O-line, but it's a whole new O-line. There are so many holes to pick from when you're running the ball.

"I just want to give credit to the O-line. The run game is our bread and butter. When coach Nix calls a run play they know it's time to get at it. There's plenty of holes to pick from and the running back just picks and chooses."

Chambers says he's still not back all the way from an injury he suffered last season. He declined to say what kind of injury he suffered.

"I'm just trying to get the offense down, contribute the best way I can," he said.

Chambers says he felt the offense performed extremely well today.

"If it was a game we'd have rolled them by 70," he said. "I've got that much confidence in the offense. Third down and long, third down and short today we did great."

* DB Lovon Ponder said he thought it was a 50-50 battle between offense and defense today.

But he does like what he's seen from UM's offensive attack.

"We're going against an offense that's real good," Ponder said. "I can see it right now. Ever since these guys first came in we've been working on routes, running. We're gelling real well."

Ponder spoke about some of the freshmen defenders: "Sean Spence, he's a great player. He's going to be one of those top ones that come out of here. He plays hard to the ball, he's physical, fast, does all the intangibles for a linebacker. Arthur Brown is a big, physical guy. He hits. When he's tackling, he tackles people. He's a real physical player. Marcus Forston, he needs to learn a little bit more about college football, but he's playing hard."

Asked if Spence reminds him of anyone, Ponder said, "A young Roger McIntosh."

Ponder dropped an interception chance late in practice and did pushups as self-imposed punishment.

"The sun got in my eyes," he said. "I should have caught it like a baseball player."

* WR Sam Shields is the team's leading returning receiver, but he's shuffled back and forth with the first, second and third groups in practice.

Asked about the timing with the new quarterbacks, Shields said, "The timing is getting there. We're working on it."

Who is Shields' pick for who throws the hardest out of the three QBs? "Robert Marve," he says.

Who is the most accurate? "All of them," Shields said.

Shields adds, "I'm confident in all (the quarterbacks)."

Shields, who has been suspended and benched in the past for off-field issues, says as a junior now he has his head on straight.

"I have to take things seriously, do the little things," he said.

* True freshman WR Aldarius Johnson had one of the nicer plays in today's practice when he caught a screen pass in a third-and-10 situation – he juked a defender and picked up 16 yards and the first down on the play.

"It was a screen play, a third down situation," Johnson said. "I made a move on a D lineman to get free."

Johnson says he's learning how to go up against "Bigger, stronger players." He says "I think I can make a big impact" this year.

* WR Daniel Adderley sys he's "learning a whole lot" this spring. He says he's still working on picking up the nuances of UM's offense.

"I'm learning a whole lot, and I'm ready to make a contribution to the team next year," he said.

He likes what he's seeing from Miami's quarterbacks.

Asked about how Robert Marve is performing, Adderley said, "He's doing pretty well, just as good as Jacory Harris. They're both competing right now, looking real good.

"Their style of play – when I see Robert I see someone like Brett Favre who guns it in there, is a gunslinger. But he's also skillful, thoughtful the way he throws the ball. Jacory is like Peyton Manning, puts more touch on the ball. They're both very good quarterbacks. It really doesn't matter – they're both great guys and we're confident in whoever is going to play this year."

Of Cannon Smith, Adderley said, "He made some real good throws today. When he gets going he really does get going. We're looking forward to seeing what he can do, too."

* Taking punt returns today were Jermaine McKenzie, Aldarius Johnson, Damien Berry, Chavez Grant and Shawnbrey McNeal.
 9 years ago '06        #3532
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
i heard O Vernon did commit....

DE is a great position of need this class, good start with this one

on a sidenote he's also lamar miller's teamate!!! JOIN THE FAM LAMAR!!!!

:rasta:

Last edited by DEDOS; 03-02-2008 at 06:22 PM..
 03-02-2008, 08:57 PM         #3533
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Miami American High School defensive end Olivier Vernon told CaneSport last week that he hoped to have a commitment in place by the end of this weekend.

Mission accomplished.

Vernon announced his UM commitment today.

"It's closer to home and I wented to be by my family," Vernon said. "I love it there."

Vernon actually committed to UM coaches on Thursday but said he "wanted to keep it on the down low."

Now he's ready to make it public.

"I have committed to Miami," he told CaneSport.com. "I visited there (unofficially on Thursday) and committed then. Coach (Clint) Hurtt and coach (Aubrey) Hill and my parents and coaches were there. They asked me what I want to do, and I was like, `I want to commit, be part of the family.' Their coaches were jumping around, congratulating me."

Vernon said he's still going to take some visits.

"I might visit Alabama," he said. "It's pretty much 100 percent a done deal, but I want to go on visits, have fun."

Vernon is a 6-foot-3, 230-pounder with 4.8-second speed. He lists over 15 scholarship offers and chose the Canes over Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina and Florida State.

Other schools that offered included Florida, Illinois and Kentucky.

Vernon is compared to Jason Taylor - a shorter version, of course - by his coach, who says Vernon's quickness is outstanding.

"The biggest thing he does real well is he has a quick first step and he's so much stronger than everybody with his step and strength," said American High coach Ben Aarestad. "He runs through and around people."

Vernon arrived in high school without any organized football experience - he played soccer growing up. He came out for the team as a freshman 170-pounder and was put at defensive end. He's been there ever since.

As a sophomore he had 42 tackles and seven sacks, and last year he opened eyes with 52 tackles, 12.5 sacks and 18 tackles for losses.

"Miami coaches said they'd love him to come there, that they want him bad," Aarestad said. "They said they need him to help lock down Dade."

Vernon hopes to play as a true freshman at UM.

"I should play right away," he said. "My weight is there already. I just need to gain like 20 more pounds."
 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM         #3534
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Does Neone Know If There Was Practice Today
 9 years ago '04        #3535
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 CANEBOI11 said:
Does Neone Know If There Was Practice Today
they resumed practice today
 9 years ago '04        #3536
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Hurricanes spring-practice chatter:

• Javarris James and Sam Shields entered as offensive gems of the 2006 recruiting class, regressed as sophomores and are determined to prove last year was an anomaly.

James averaged just 3.7 yards per carry (down from 4.7 as a freshman and behind Graig Cooper's 5.5) and lacked burst because ``I was trying to protect myself after [an opening-game] neck injury. I didn't play to my potential.

``There were a couple times I let my teammates down. I've got a lot to prove to myself. [Out-doing cousin] Edgerrin James is definitely one of my goals. I always wanted to be better than him.''

The encouraging news: James has bulked up from 205 pounds to 216 and, ''he's got more burst and speed,'' running-backs coach Tommie Robinson said. ``He didn't get the yards last year, but people don't realize almost every long run he had was called back.''

James said the extra weight allows him ``to take more pounding, because I'm an inside runner. I feel a lot different. Teammates told me I've gotten quicker.''

Robinson plans to continue using several backs (James, Cooper, Shawnbrey McNeal, Derron Thomas and perhaps Lee Chambers) but said ''everything is up in the air'' as to whether James remains the starter. Cooper will push him, and Robinson called McNeal UM's fastest back.

• Unlike James, Shields had off-field problems in '07 (disciplined for academic issues) -- and his receptions dropped from 37 to 27. He said coach Randy Shannon told him he must ''do the things I'm supposed to do'' to play.

''I see a change in him,'' receiver Leonard Hankerson said. ``He's more mature.''

Shields concurs: ``I've got to take things seriously . . . like going to class, catching extra balls.''

Shannon said Tuesday, ''Sam's got a new start. He's doing well.'' Shields is optimistic about his chances of starting, but competition has been intense. A UM person who has watched the private practices said Jermaine McKenzie, Hankerson and Aldarius Johnson have been the most impressive receivers.

• That UM person also said Robert Marve has been the best of the quarterbacks and showing good command of the offense, and cornerback Chavez Grant has looked good. So has converted linebacker Allen Bailey at defensive end -- ''You can tell he's a monster,'' offensive tackle Jason Fox said.

• Linebacker Glenn Cook predicts early arrival Sean Spence (Miami Northwestern) will play a lot at linebacker as a freshman. ''He's got a knack for getting to the ball -- he's already sitting on my routes,'' tight end Richard Gordon said. . . . Another highly touted incoming linebacker, Arthur Brown, said UM coaches have changed much of his technique, including how he tackles. Ex-Canes Jon Beason and Jonathan Vilma have reached out to offer advice and guidance, which Brown appreciates.
 9 years ago '07        #3537
jordanfreak7 8 heat pts
space
space
$6,617 | Props total: 1 1
08/28/08 vs. Charleston Southern
09/06/08 at Florida
09/20/08 at Texas A&M
09/27/08 vs. North Carolina
10/04/08 vs. Florida State
10/11/08 vs. UCF
10/18/08 at Duke
10/25/08 vs. Wake Forest
11/01/08 at Virginia
11/13/08 vs. Virginia Tech
11/20/08 at Georgia Tech
11/29/08 at North Carolina State

games we need to worry about : gators, noles, hokies
 9 years ago '04        #3538
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 jordanfreak7 said:
08/28/08 vs. Charleston Southern
09/06/08 at Florida
09/20/08 at Texas A&M
09/27/08 vs. North Carolina
10/04/08 vs. Florida State
10/11/08 vs. UCF
10/18/08 at Duke
10/25/08 vs. Wake Forest
11/01/08 at Virginia
11/13/08 vs. Virginia Tech
11/20/08 at Georgia Tech
11/29/08 at North Carolina State

games we need to worry about : gators, noles, hokies
playing in the swamp with all of our young guys will be damn hard, theyre simply better than us now and even tho they havent beaten us in over 20 years theyre licking their chops...wouldnt be surprised if meyer tried to run up the score. VT and FSU are both winnable home games.

i'm worried about playing in college station, the aggies wont forget what we did to them last year and theyre tough at home.
 9 years ago '06        #3539
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
we in the tourny folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rasta:
 9 years ago '04        #3540
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Added weight not an issue for Cooper

> Posted by Shandel_Richardson at 6:19:16 PM
The knock against Graig Cooper last year was his inability to shake off tacklers. Several times he went down on the first hit. There was no power in his runs.

Many, including Cooper and the UM coaches, felt it was because of weight. Cooper played at between 180-185 pounds as a freshman, but has bulked up to 202 now. The goal is for Cooper to keep his same speed, only with a little more strength. Losing quickness shouldn't be a problem because Cooper carried the weight through track season and said he hasn't lost a step.

"202 is cool for me, but the coaches want me to 205 by the time the season starts," Cooper said. "I'll just probably go up to 210 just in case. If that slows me down, I'll just drop back to 205."

Cooper said the added weight should also help him handle and avoid nagging injuries like last season. He missed the Virginia Tech game with a sprained knee and was also hampered with a thigh bruise throughout the season.

"It hurt me on a couple plays," Cooper said. "Just from having the little minor injuries, it just showed me that I needed to gain a couple of pounds. You can't take that kind of punishment as a running back, especially at the D-I college football level. You've got to have a couple pounds. It's not like this is high school where you can do what you want."

A few other notes:

-Defensive coach Clint Hurtt continued to rave about the progression of defensive end Allen Bailey, who switched from linebacker for the spring. Hurtt said Bailey's physical gifts have overshadowed his struggles of playing a new position. Still, Bailey has to pick up the basics before becoming the player UM needs on the line.

"I'll tell you what, he plays the position like he's been playing here for the last probably three or four years," Hurtt said. "He's been very, very good. The biggest thing is he has to continue to progress and make sure he doesn't hit that wall and get frustrated because there's going to be some tough times."

-The Hurricanes rotated between Bruce Johnson, Randy Phillips, Carlos Armour, Glen Sharpe and DeMarcus Van Dyke last season. If defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff gets his wish, that will change. He would prefer two players solidify the positions.

"You would like two guys to grab the bull by the horns and be the guy," McGriff said. "You don't want those guys to come out of the game unless they're injured or fatigued. That's what I'm really trying to hunt for. Give me two guys that are consistent."

McGriff also said junior Tervaris Johnson has made some strides, but still needs to make improvements before seeing any significant playing time.

"He has some tools to be a good corner," McGriff said. "He just got to get in the playbook more and be more consistent. You look at his size, his speed, all that's there. He just have to be consistent with his play."

-The player I didn't want to be after practice: Matt Bosher. Not sure what he did to deserve this punishment, but Bosher had to roll the entire field down and back. Twice. I've never seen a punter with that much mud on his jersey. It's amazing Bosher didn't vomit.

-Tomorrow UM will host a scrimmage open to public at Traz Powell Stadium. It starts at 6 p.m. Coach Randy Shannon said the "three" quarterbacks vying for the starting job (Jacory Harris, Robert Marve and Cannon Smith) will receive equal reps. Last year Shannon used walk-ons, but said that won't be the case Thursday.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside South African Snowbunny Fitness Trainer(Lawd Have Mercy!!)
81 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This website shows how frighteningly quick the internet knows everythi..
6 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
119 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
176 comments
1 day ago