Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #321
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
 C.R.I.P. said:
Randy Shannon said he wanna lock everything down from the Panama to Key West
and he could do it

i didnt play my last year in HS, but randy use to go in the mornings with our coaches he would give them plays and how to run them

offcourse he was there to recruits darryl sharpton but he helped the coaches out

art kehoe use to spent alot of time at gables also
 10 years ago '04        #322
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
no more of lettin other schools come in and steal talent, they get the leftovers after we're done
 12-08-2006, 04:38 PM         #323
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
December 8, 2006

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

CaneSport has spent much of the day tracking down numerous recruits to gauge their reaction to Randy Shannon's hiring. Here is what recruits are talking about:

Shannon hiring nets Canes a commitment

Hialeah (Fla.) High School DL/LB Adewale Ojomo found out that Randy Shannon was going to be named Miami's head coach last night.

So this morning he called coach Clint Hurtt and committed to the Hurricanes.

"If they hired someone else I probably would have evaluated that coach and gone from there," Ojomo said. "I told them once Shannon got the job I'd make that move, so they were waiting on my commitment. I called coach Hurtt, said `I want to be part of the Hurricane family.'"

What made Shannon the key to Ojomo's decision?

"He was the one that first started recruiting me from Miami," Ojomo said. "I don't talk to him a lot, but the times I do talk to him it's good. He's a quiet guy, a good person. He's from Miami, from the area where I play. And he's only one of six African American coaches in D-I football so I was real proud of that."

Ojomo chose UM over Pittsburgh and Kentucky.

"Basically it's a 100 percent done deal," Ojomo said. "I don't think I'll waste anyone else's time by taking visits anywhere else. I was scheduled to visit UM this weekend, but I'm rescheduling it."

Of his goals at Miami, Ojomo said, "My expectations for myself at Miami is to go in and work hard, get playing time and get a degree and get an NFL contract."

He finished this season with 60 tackles, four sacks and four forced fumbles.

Hialeah coach Steve Smith says the Canes have landed a good one.

"Miami coaches, they just like his athleticism, his speed, his aggressiveness," Smith said. "They like him as a person. He has a great attitude, and he's going to be a playmaker. His body – he's a physical specimen and he's a heck of an athlete."

Ojomo played outside linebacker as a sophomore and junior before moving to defensive end this year. At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds and with 4.6-second speed, he is being recruited as an end.

"When NC state was recruiting him before they got fired they used to tell the kid that he reminded them of the kid that got drafted the first pick of the first round, Mario Williams," Smith said.

* Smith has dealt with Shannon before and says, "I know randy. I think he's going to be real successful. I think it was a great move for the university to take him."

Guyton: Shannon hiring gives Canes edge

Homestead High School athlete A'Jami Guyton, who starred at the UM summer camp and got a Cane scholarship offer shortly afterward, says Randy Shannon's hiring gives Miami an edge over the rest of his favorites.

"It's just because he's from down here and everything," Guyton said. "He's from the area, knows what's down here, has recruited a lot of talent.

"I haven't talked to him yet, but coach (Tim) Walton and (Marques) Mosely were visiting my school yesterday."

Guyton is taking the ACT tomorrow, and a.ssuming his grades are in order it appears the Canes are in good shape here.

He is being recruited as a receiver but could also play quarterback.

Guyton says he'll make a final decision after his last visit. He visits Rutgers next weekend and his other current favorites along with UM are Central Florida and Ole Miss.

"Most likely I'll visit Miami in January, probably Jan. 19 [with teammate Joseph Nicolas]," he said.

Farquharson: Canes hired the right guy

El Camino (Calif.) Junior College WR and Cane commitment Kayne Farquharson found out that Randy Shannon would be Miami's new head coach on Thursday night when he received a text message.

"It was anonymous, probably one of my friends down in Miami," Farquharson said. "I didn't recognize the number."

What he does recognize: That the Canes made a good move with the Shannon hiring.

"I've spoken with coach Shannon during my recruitment," Farquharson said. "To me he's a great recruiter. He puts together a great defensive scheme. I think he's a great man. I thought he was the person right for the job."

Why is that?

"Pretty much because he's a UM alumni," Farquharson said. "When it comes down to recruiting it'll be a lot easier for him to talk to parents instead of someone coming into a big city like Miami from elsewhere. I thought it would be better if they kept it in-house."

Farquharson says he "wasn't really surprised" when he heard the news.

He says he is on pace to arrive in Miami Dec. 17 and will join the team in January.

Canes lose a commitment

Cane RB commitment Graig Cooper, currently in prep school in New York, says he no longer considers himself a Hurricane commitment.

He says he decided to decommit a few days after Larry Coker was fired, and while he says it's still possible he'll wind up at UM he says he's strongly considering Florida and Oklahoma State.

"I'm open, not committed -- Miami's still in there, and I have to make a quick decision, probably before Christmas," said Cooper, who plans to enroll somewhere in January.

That's one thing Randy Shannon will have on his plate: Trying to turn Cooper back to the Canes.

"Coach (Joe) Pannunzio came through here today," Cooper said. "He was telling me they're still Miami and that they still want me.

"I've spoken with Shannon a couple of times, nothing real long."

Perry feels better

Keller (TX) Fossil Ridge DT and Cane commitment Chris Perry is taking an official visit to Nebraska this weekend.

But he says he thinks the hiring of Randy Shannon is "a real good thing. I've never really talked to him, but I met him on my unofficial visit this summer," Perry said. "He said he wants me to come play for him."

"I feel better about (the commitment) now."

Move helps Canes with Phelon Jones

Mobile (AL) McGill-Toolen High School DB Phelon Jones is on his way for an LSU visit tonight.

And his father, Tony, who is on the trip with him, says he thinks the Canes made the right choice by hiring Randy Shannon.

"I think it's the best move that the University of Miami could have made," Tony Jones said. "They should have made that months ago."

The big question: Does the hiring shore up Jones's commitment to UM?

"We are still evaluating options," Tony Jones said. "But I certainly think the University of Miami has done well for its program. Phelon does, too. I just think Shannon is the best man for the job.

"I've talked to coach Shannon on the phone before. He presented himself very well. He's upfront, honest with you. He's a great recruiter. He should have been a head coach years ago."

Tony Jones said he considers his son a soft Cane commitment right now.

* Commitment Daniel Adderley reiterated that he's 100 percent a Cane with Randy Shannon as the head man.

"I've never talked to him before, but it doesn't affect my commitment," Adderly said. "I had a feeling it was going to be him. It doesn't matter to me. I'm still a Cane."
 10 years ago '04        #324
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
kids like Cooper p!ss me off..

we was the first mothafu*kas to show him love when nobody else was feeling him, but now that he is mr.5 Star RB and everybody is calling this is what we get
 10 years ago '04        #325
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
it sounds like most recruits have responed positively to the hiring
its like JJ used to say, "You can either come to miami or get beat by miami"
 10 years ago '04        #326
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Jermain McKenzie 4 Star WR...will most likely be a Cane if he gets a offer, he's a soft Bama Committ.

10 years ago '04        #327
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
He's not going into f!ght alone
BY DAN LE BATARD

The worldwide search for an inspired new leader took the University of Miami all the way to a few doors down from Larry Coker's office. While Alabama sent a caravan of armored trucks full of cash toward Nick Saban at the height of professional football, Miami rummaged through the change jar to pay a local-kid-makes-good story who never has been a head coach at any level.

There isn't a lot of precedent for a program of this size and stature promoting a fired coach's a.ssistant because, well, Miami dismissed home-grown a.ssistant coaches after a 9-3 season and Randy Shannon not only gets exonerated but promoted after a 6-6 one? So this hiring is many things -- fascinating, risky, cheap, earned, fair, groundbreaking and symbolic -- but here's the most interesting part about it:

Shannon, a proud and good and strong man, does not go into this f!ght alone. No, he has just about the biggest support system you've ever seen. And he's taking that with him into the living room of every awed teenager who is about to help him get his beloved alma mater back to where it belongs.

Stoic and honorable and respected, Shannon is linked to all parts of UM's glorious past, in every way. That's what he has on his résumé that Greg Schiano and Rich Rodriguez don't. That's what makes him unlike any coach in Miami's history. He has run through that smoke in that tunnel in that Orange Bowl on a Saturday night. He made the journey from student to champion to man to leader to boss on that Coral Gables campus. He has swaggered and danced and howled and won. He knows, at his core, how it feels to be loved by the men in that huddle and hated by everyone outside it. And this is what happens when you have these kind of roots:

VAST NETWORK

Bernie Kosar, 1983 champion, is eager to help Shannon, whom he considers a friend. If Shannon needs advice, he can call Jimmy Johnson, for whom he played on campus and in Dallas. A receiver needs extra tutelage? Shannon can request a visit from Michael Irvin, Shannon's teammate as a Hurricane and Cowboy. Need help with the recruiting of a star linebacker? Shannon not only can speak of the position from championship experience, but can summon Ray Lewis and Jonathan Vilma and Dan Morgan -- all of whom he coached -- to whisper sweetly to said recruit, too. The recruit can notice that Miami's weight room isn't as nice as the one he saw in Texas. Or he can notice that Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Santana Moss and Edgerrin James still are working out in it because, not unlike Shannon, real Hurricanes never wander too far from the womb.

It goes deeper than that, too. This city, and its high school coaches, want this man to succeed. They will push their best players toward him because of the bond he has created with them during the past decade. Shannon would like his skin color to be irrelevant, but that's as utopian as it is naive.

RARE ASCENSION

He has been given an enormous job that black men almost never get. Given that Notre Dame has lost seven consecutive bowl games and at least three games a year for the last decade, this might be the best job an African-American man has had in college football, Notre Dame's Tyrone Willingham notwithstanding. Shannon's experiences as a Miamian and a Hurricane and a black man give him a connection and understanding of South Florida's inner cities that no UM coach has had. Area kids will gravitate to him naturally, and,if they don't, their high school coaches will put a hand on their lower backs and guide them that way. Shannon, a symbol now, carries a weight that is both blessing and burden. If he succeeds in the good-old-boy network, others will get chances.

And this is why it's going to work: Miami replenishes itself, always. No coach has failed here in 25 years, no matter the pedigree. It isn't because the coaches always are unprecedented and unique and wonderful. That would be quite the coincidence, wouldn't it? No, it's simple math: Get only kids from South Florida, and you've eliminated much of the guesswork that is projecting the talent of teenagers. You get 20-plus Florida kids a year, you are going to miss less often than other coaches. Shannon is supposed to be a talented recruiter, but the truth is that any head coach at Miami immediately becomes that simply by virtue of being the head coach at Miami.

The ACC is tougher than it ever has been with Jim Grobe at Wake Forest and Butch Davis at North Carolina and Tom O'Brien at North Carolina State and Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech and Bobby Bowden at FSU. And Miami is trying to go at them now with a rookie who never has been a head coach at any level.

But Miami isn't betting on just Randy Shannon here.

Miami is betting on Miami.

He will walk into that teenager's living room alone.

But can't you already see the army he has behind him?
 10 years ago '04        #328
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
ay its looking like both Deonte Thompson and Leonard Hankerson, both WR's will be Canes.

yeah !!!
 10 years ago '05        #329
Y2Luda 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,917 | Props total: 3 3
 C.R.I.P. said:
ay its looking like both Deonte Thompson and Leonard Hankerson, both WR's will be Canes.

yeah !!!
Leonard has some work to do on grades. I really feel he'd be a Buckeye if they were higher.

If you do get both it would be a great get any way you slice it.
 10 years ago '04        #330
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
yeah he has some work to do...he has a 2.5 Gpa and a 750 SAT.

i think it was either gonna be OSU or Miami for him when it came down to it...but OSU hasnt called in like 3 Weeks.

plus he has a situation with his son, that he says he wants to stay close to, so he can be a good father
 12-09-2006, 10:25 AM         #331
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I really hope we get Deonte Thompson and Alphonso Bryant.
 12-09-2006, 10:33 AM         #332
P DEDOS 954 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yall saw shannons press conference

now thats what a miami coach is all about right there

im really happy and proud with our choice

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
 12-09-2006, 10:39 AM         #333
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The big thing is to end strong recruiting (which it looks like hes going to) and get a good OC...
 10 years ago '04        #334
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
I really hope we get Deonte Thompson and Alphonso Bryant.
Alphonso Bryant dosent have the grades from what i heard, but i think we are still talking with him..so you never know
 12-09-2006, 11:52 PM         #335
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
December 9, 2006

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Publisher

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Former Arizona State Head Coach Dirk Koetter, who built a reputation as an offensive wizard at Boise State in the late 1900s but was recently fired because he couldn't get the Sun Devils out of the middle of the Pac-10 pack, is emerging as a top candidate to become offensive coordinator and possibly a.ssistant head coach at the University of Miami.

Sources told CaneSport that Koetter and new UM head coach Randy Shannon have a relationship that was solidified even further when Shannon visited Arizona State during the off-season last year to study Koetter's offense. Any announcement of Koetter coming to Miami likely would not take place until after Arizona State completes its season at the December 24 Hawaii Bowl or maybe even later if Koetter gets in the running for a head coaching job.

UM President Donna Shalala said Friday that the University has given Shannon sufficient financial resources to get a top-level offensive coordinator. Shannon is believed to have one other possible candidate for the offensive coordinator job.

Koetter went 40-33 in six seasons at ASU, and 7-5 this past season. Much like Larry Coker is expected to be Miami's Head Coach in the MPC Computers Bowl in Boise December 31, Koetter and his staff are coaching the Sun Devils in the bowl game.

At Boise State, Koetter went 26-10 from 1998-2000 before getting the Arizona State job. He seemed to have turned the corner in 2002 when the Sun Devils went 8-4 and earned a Holiday Bowl berth with a third-place conference finish. But ASU won just five games in 2003, nine in 2004 and seven in 2005. That inconsistency, coupled with Koetter's 2-19 record against ranked teams, led to mounting criticism from Sun Devils fans.

Just like many expected big things from Miami this season, ASU entered 2006 ranked 24th in the AP preseason Top 25. But Koetter mishandled his quarterback competition by naming senior Sam Keller the starter and then switching two days later to sophomore Rudy Carpenter. Keller transferred to Nebraska, where he is sitting out this season under NCAA rules.

Ironically, Koetter would be working through a quarterback competition at Miami between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman.

The Sun Devils won their first three games against Northern Arizona, Nevada and Colorado this season, but then the offense struggled and ASU lost to California, Oregon and Southern California. Carpenter, who led the nation in passing efficiency a year ago, struggled behind an injury-riddled line and had little help from an inexperienced receiving corps.

Sound familiar.

All that aside, Koetter's offense has typically been among the most productive in the nation, averaging 31.5 points a game.
 12-09-2006, 11:52 PM         #336
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
THE KOETTER FILE
Born: February 5, 1959 in Pocatello, Idaho
High School Education: Highland High School, Pocatello, Idaho
College Education: Idaho State, 1981 (BS); Idaho State, 1982 (MA).
College Football: Idaho State, 1978-81
Family: Wife Kim, daughters Kaylee (13) and Kendra (9), sons Derek (12) and Davis (7).
Former USA Today Coaches Poll voter
KOETTER YEAR-BY-YEAR
Year School Record Conf. Bowl
1998 Boise State 6-5 2-3 (4th) -
1999 Boise State 10-3 5-1 (1st) Humanitarian
2000 Boise State 10-2 5-0 (1st) Humanitarian
2001 Arizona State 4-7 1-7 (9th) -
2002 Arizona State 8-6 5-3 (3rd) Holiday
2003 Arizona State 5-7 2-6 (T8th) -
2004 Arizona State 9-3 5-3 (T3rd) Sun
2005 Arizona State 7-5 4-4 (4th) Insight
Totals Eight Years 59-38 29-27
(.608) (.518)
Professional Quarterbacks Coached
Name School Team (Draft Round)
Andrew Walter Arizona State Oakland Raiders (3rd)
Joey Harrington Oregon Detroit Lions (1st)
Akili Smith Oregon Cincinnati Bengals (1st)
A.J. Feeley Oregon Philadelphia Eagles (5th)
Matt Hasselback Boston College Seattle Seahawks (6th)
Bart Hendricks Boise State Edmonton Eskimoes (free agent)
Ryan Dinwiddie Boise State Chicago Bears (free agent)
Former a.ssistant Coaches Under Koetter Dan Hawkins -- Head Coach, Colorado
Brent Guy - Head Coach, Utah St
Ron English - Defensive Coordinator, Michigan
Mark Helfrich - Offensive Coordinator, Colorado
Mark Johnson - Defensive Coordinator, Utah St
Mark Carrier - Defensive Backs, Baltimore Ravens
Ted Monachino - Defensive Line, Jacksonville Jaguars

10 years ago '04        #337
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
ay Rakim when you get a chance ...check out the thread and hit me with some info i got to go by the bank monday..

I've just been given so much good news.... in the war room

and

Just Got Word That....in the Storm Center.
 12-10-2006, 12:37 AM         #338
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've just been given so much good news.... Reply
I am so pumped up about the Randy Shannon hiring now! First, Mario hasn't made a decision yet. That in itself is good. He is getting a full court press from many in the Cane family to stay. I think he'll decide within a couple of days. Also, I am being told that Randy is going to have a ridiculous amount of cash to spend on coordinators. So yes we are going to put the money we saved on getting Randy as the HC into coordinators that's neccesary.

Recruiting.... As everybody is already saying Randy's gonna k!ll it in recruiting. Ojomo committed yesterday & lots of other local boys were reaching out to Randy (GC boys, Guyton etc) The ball will keep rolling & lot's of the local boys wanna hop on board. I know Randy will be meeting w/ Cooper as early as tomorrow, & I have a good feeling about Cooper once he listens to Randy.

I was wrong w/ my prediction about him getting the HC job, but that aside...originally I wasn't too pumped about the hire of Randy for the simple reason that I thought what would change? Randy already had a great defense, but the theme remained the same w/ the O. After we couldn't go & get a good OC last year I didn't see much reason to believe it would be so different this year. Well now knowing how much cash we've got for a OC we're gonna be just fine!
Also, the older players are all so jacked up about Shannon's hiring it's ridiculous. It's crucial that Shalala & Dee use all the momentum we have now with the new hire to start addressing the issues that need to be fixxed. After hearing my buddy's discussion w/ Randy yesterday I feel much better that's what's gonna happen!

1st the U then 1st round
 10 years ago '04        #339
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
 RakimAllahNY said:
I've just been given so much good news.... Reply
I am so pumped up about the Randy Shannon hiring now! First, Mario hasn't made a decision yet. That in itself is good. He is getting a full court press from many in the Cane family to stay. I think he'll decide within a couple of days. Also, I am being told that Randy is going to have a ridiculous amount of cash to spend on coordinators. So yes we are going to put the money we saved on getting Randy as the HC into coordinators that's neccesary.

Recruiting.... As everybody is already saying Randy's gonna k!ll it in recruiting. Ojomo committed yesterday & lots of other local boys were reaching out to Randy (GC boys, Guyton etc) The ball will keep rolling & lot's of the local boys wanna hop on board. I know Randy will be meeting w/ Cooper as early as tomorrow, & I have a good feeling about Cooper once he listens to Randy.

I was wrong w/ my prediction about him getting the HC job, but that aside...originally I wasn't too pumped about the hire of Randy for the simple reason that I thought what would change? Randy already had a great defense, but the theme remained the same w/ the O. After we couldn't go & get a good OC last year I didn't see much reason to believe it would be so different this year. Well now knowing how much cash we've got for a OC we're gonna be just fine!
Also, the older players are all so jacked up about Shannon's hiring it's ridiculous. It's crucial that Shalala & Dee use all the momentum we have now with the new hire to start addressing the issues that need to be fixxed. After hearing my buddy's discussion w/ Randy yesterday I feel much better that's what's gonna happen!

1st the U then 1st round
damn if they get koetter as an OC, Miami bout to bounce back
 12-10-2006, 12:41 AM         #340
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Just got word that.....

Pretty much the whole UM staff is on the sideline of the Miami Northwestern game tonight!!

We Ballin' boy!

BTW MNW is up 21-14 and Aldarius Johnson has 2 TD Receptions and Streeter has 1. Easterling started, if ya wanna listen to it then here ya go..

I guess there pretty sure Deonte is gonna be a cane.. But nothing official
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy