Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
54 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Personality Test: What Did You See First?
46 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'
39 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Melo IG post to his boss Phil Jackson
65 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #3321
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
January 20, 2008

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

The Hurricanes hosted four visitors coaches hoped to sway this past weekend – Gavin Hardin, Herman Davidson, Aaron Hester and Vaughn Telemaque.

And while the four left campus without giving commitments, all enjoyed themselves.

"We had a great time," said Telemaque, who took the flight back to Los Angeles with his teammate, Davidson, and former teammate, Hester, who is a soft UCLA commitment. "None of us committed."

Telemaque had indicated previously that if he loved the visit he would return home, talk things over with his parents and possibly commit as soon as tonight.

"I'll talk to my parents, but I don't plan to commit tonight," Telemaque said.

Of the four, perhaps Miami now stands the best chance with Hardin, a linebacker from Tennessee.

Hardin rated the visit a 10.

"The visit went great," Hardin said. "Miami has a great chance with me. It's Miami. Come on, it's the U. who doesn't want to go there?"

Hardin says he will wait until signing day to announce a decision. He says he "doesn't know" if he has a solid Cane offer - a holdup is he's working on getting a couple of classes he took as a freshman qualified as core classes.

"I should know in a couple of weeks," Hardin said. "(Cane coaches) told me I have to get my grades right. I have to go do it.

"(Coach) Randy Shannon - I talked to him today. We were talking about how if I don't get what I'm supposed to get they'll still stick with me. Some schools don't do that, pretend they don't know you..."

Hardin, who took the visit by himself, will visit Ole Miss next weekend.

He's choosing between the two schools.

"After that visit I'll sit down with my mom, family members, see what's best for me," Hardin said. "It'll come down to what I want to do. That's what it'll come down to, how I feel about the situation."

Asked if Miami is leading after the visit, Hardin said, "All I can say is that I like Miami. Miami is great. Coming down here made it that much better to see the atmosphere. I can't say (who is leading) till I go to Ole Miss and see how that is. After that I'll know."

Asked the highlight of his UM visit, Hardin said, "Everything. Miami is a big difference from Tennessee, like a whole different world. It was great."

Hardin spent time with the three California recruits and says, "They said they liked it a lot - how they handle things at Miami, how it was a big family.

"Everyone on the visit liked it. There wasn't any person who said `It's just okay.' Everyone was like `It's great down here.'"

Hardin broke down the visit:

"Friday I got there, we went over some academic stuff, they showed us the campus," he said. "It's not big, but it's beautiful. They said we won't get lost going to school. Then we went out to eat. Saturday we went to see Dolphin Stadium. That stadium is amazing. They have like 700 plasma screens in there. We went to South Beach, Coconut Grove, downtown. There's a lot at Miami.

"We did so much. The food was great. They fed us great. Everything was great."

Hardin was hosted by Derron Thomas.

"He's great," Hardin said. "The football players were cool, welcomed us. They made sure we enjoyed our visit."
 9 years ago '07        #3322
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8

could anyone post this?
 9 years ago '04        #3323
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
4 Northwestern High stars enroll at UM
Just in the nick of time, three of the four highly regarded Northwestern football players who committed to play for the University of Miami -- including quarterback Jacory Harris -- started classes at UM on Thursday and will be on campus for spring practice, said Rodney Harris, Jacory's father, and two university sources.

On Thursday night, the fourth player -- receiver Aldarious Johnson -- might have resolved the snag that prevented him from attending classes earlier in the day.

According to one university source, Johnson was admitted to UM later Thursday.

It was originally believed he might not be able to enroll in time.

''The kids are very excited,'' Rodney Harris said of Jacory, defensive tackle Marcus Forston and linebacker Sean Spence. ``We dropped them off this morning to start their new life.

"I know Jacory is rooming with [linebacker] Arthur Brown and Marcus and Sean are going to be roommates.''

Harris and Spence are among the best in the country at their positions. Both are rated four-star prospects by recruiting website rivals.com, with 6-4, 169-pound Harris rated the No. 7 pro-style quarterback in the nation and 6-0, 186-pound Spence the No. 13 outside linebacker.

Rated even higher: Forston, a 6-2, 286-pounder who is regarded as the No. 1 tackle in the country and seventh-best player, regardless of position.

Johnson, 6-2 and 200 pounds, is rated the nation's ninth-best receiver and 58th-best player, regardless of position.

UM is sorely lacking at wide receiver, and wants Johnson badly to help build a strong receiving corps.

Last edited by madness; 01-25-2008 at 04:44 AM..
 9 years ago '04        #3324
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Add Aldarious Johnson to that list^^

He just got in today.
 9 years ago '04        #3325
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Cap Peeler said:
Add Aldarious Johnson to that list^^

He just got in today.
:applause:
 9 years ago '04        #3326
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Hurricanes 'the perfect fit' for Pahokee's Regis

[pic - click to view]

Even before making his visit to UM, Pahokee defensive tackle Micanor Regis knew Miami was the place for him to play.

It was another typical hot and humid July day -- the kind most Floridians try to spend under some shade or inside a place with air conditioning.

But for 6-4, 310-pound Pahokee defensive tackle Micanor Regis, the half-hour before the start of last summer's afternoon session at the Down & Dirty Lineman Camp at Stetson University seemed like a perfect time to get "warmed up.''

''I'll never forget a guy like Micanor because for 20 minutes, while me, every other recruiter, coach and kid were sitting in our cars trying to cool down, stay out of the sun, this huge 17-year-old kid is just running all out, up and down a hill in full pads no less,'' said Larry Blustein, who has covered high school football recruiting in Florida since 1971.

"Everybody was just watching him. And when we all got out of our cars, all we could do was applaud. That's the kind of hunger a kid like Regis has. It's a deep passion to succeed.''

GOOD EXAMPLE

Blustein says Regis is another shining example of the superior talent that seems to grow on a yearly basis in a place known simply as The Muck, the surrounding area of Lake Okeechobee in Palm Beach County.

On Feb. 6, the first day recruits can sign national letters of intent to attend college, Regis will be among more than a dozen players from The Muck to sign college scholarships. Regis will sign with the University of Miami.

So will Belle Glade Glades Central receiver Travis Benjamin, the 18th-ranked recruit in The Herald's South Florida recruiting rankings. The Hurricanes could potentially end up with as many as four recruits from Palm Beach, especially if Palm Beach Lakes defensive tackle Jeremy Lewis (No. 19) and Pahokee receiver Martavius Odoms (No. 17) come away further sold on UM after official visits to Coral Gables this weekend.

UM, which has signed dozens of players from Palm Beach over the years, isn't the only school picking up talent in the area. Florida already signed Pahokee cornerback Janorris Jenkins, considered the top prospect in Palm Beach, and LSU has an oral commitment from Delray Beach Atlantic safety Karnell Hatcher.

''Those five, six guys are just the tip of the iceberg,'' Blustein said. ``To me, Palm Beach has already passed Broward County in terms of talent. It's one of the five richest places in the state with Dade, Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Polk County. It's become one of the meccas for high school football. And it's not just the Muck.''

Regis, who started both ways on three state championship Pahokee teams and rarely sat out snaps according to Pahokee coach Blaze Thompson, could potentially end up being the most special of this year's group, according to Blustein. He ranks Regis up there with Lake Worth High and Alabama-bound quarterback Star Jackson and Hatcher.

''I look at Micanor and I think of Jerome Brown,'' Blustein said. "When Jerome came to UM from Hernando, he was a little bit of talker who played everywhere. Regis is just like him and moves real well and he's got great vision just like Jerome.

"I think he's going to be great. You watch him and [fellow UM recruit] Marcus Forston, put them together, they might as well be holding a detour sign. Nobody is going to want to run their way.''

Regis, who grew up a fan of the late Reggie White, had 17 scholarship offers before the start of his senior season. His says his first came from UM a.ssistant Clint Hurtt, who met Regis when he was still a sophomore. Unlike many recruits who make oral commitments and still take visits, Thompson said his star lineman never wanted UM to feel like he was ''cheating on them.'' So, he gave Hurtt his word and didn't take any other recruiting trips.

''With me if I see something I like I just go straight for it,'' Regis said. "I knew they had a tradition of producing defensive tackles. Some of them went first round and some of them are still in the league. I just put two-and-two together and it was the perfect fit for me.''

THE PLACE TO BE

Benjamin (5-11, 160 pounds) believed Miami was the perfect fit for him, too. A Hurricanes fan, he says it didn't take cousin and former UM safety Alphonso Marshall much to convince him.

''He probably runs as good a pattern as anybody I've seen,'' Blustein said. "He can get up, has a 34-, 35-inch vertical. He's got good hands. And that's what UM needs.''

Thompson believes he had a tremendous ballhawk in Odoms, who helped Pahokee win three Class 2B state championships the past four seasons and also win the 7-on-7 national title this summer.

''He's a shutdown corner,'' Thompson said of Jenkins. "Whoever we were playing, whether it was a running back or receiver, we would just put Janorris on him.''

Odoms, who will visit Michigan next weekend and will choose between the Hurricanes, Tennessee, West Virginia and South Florida, is the top uncommitted player left in Palm Beach. He said he wants to go to a place where he'll be able to do what he's usually done -- "dominate.''

''Growing up around The Muck, football is what we got,'' Odoms said. "It's our ticket out of here. It's our chance to make ourselves better.''
 9 years ago '04        #3327
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
yall should land Laron Byrd (3 star WR from LA)

either us or Miami but I think hes Miami bound.... good pick up if so
 9 years ago '04        #3328
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
UM reaping a bumper of QBs
The Hurricanes will enter next season with a surplus of talented quarterbacks -- all untested freshmen.
The university suffering from a quarterback drought will soon be up to its neck in signal callers -- although none has taken a snap during a college game.

Among the three expected Miami newcomers, one is the son of FedEx founder Fred Smith, another is the 6-7 son of a rice farmer and Texas legislator and the other is homegrown star Jacory Harris of Northwestern High.

''What a beautiful place Miami is,'' said Taylor Cook, the farmer's son. "Growing up that's all I heard about. The program has been down, but I want a chance to help get it back.''

UM coach Randy Shannon made sure he would be deep in scholarship quarterbacks for 2008, with Cannon Smith and Harris enrolling this semester to be at spring practice. Cook will graduate this spring.

The fourth, Robert Marve, will be a redshirt freshman with a one-year advantage over the others.

[pic - click to view]

It is highly unusual for a major college football program to have every scholarship quarterback a freshman or redshirt freshman. The last time a UM freshman quarterback opened the season was in 1983, when redshirt Bernie Kosar started against Florida. He lost to UF, but won the next 11 and led UM to its first national championship.

''This is definitely a situation where we're going to see Coach Shannon and his staff put their stamp on what they want the offense to look like in the future,'' said Jeremy Crabtree, the national recruiting editor for rivals.com. "Having this type of depth gives them options. Before it was take this or nothing.''

Marve's father, former NFL linebacker Eugene Marve, said he distinctly recalls a conversation Shannon had with him and Robert at Tampa Plant High.

"Coach Shannon said, `This year I will go out and get the best quarterback I can in the nation, and that happens to be you.''

"But you know what I'm going to do next year? I'm going to get the best quarterback I can.' These quarterbacks certainly have earned the right to compete for the position. Robert looks forward to showing the type of player he is.''

With Kirby Freeman transferring to Baylor and Kyle Wright entering the NFL Draft, Marve, who knows the offense, has the edge. But the other three seem equally confident.

Shannon has made the enrolled quarterbacks off limits to the media.

Harris, 6-4 and 169 pounds, is the one Canes fans know best. Rated by rivals.com as the seventh-best pro-style quarterback in the nation, he led the Bulls to the state championship and No. 1 national ranking with a 30-0 record as a starter.

''Jacory is so anxious to get started,'' said his father, Rodney, a juvenile probation officer. "He has mentioned to me he's going to do everything he has to do to win the starting job.''

QUICK LEARNER

The quarterback who won't be at spring practice is Taylor Cook, who lives in Eagle Lake, Texas -- population 3,600 -- and has chosen to finish out his senior year.

''It might hurt me a little, but I catch on to stuff pretty quick,'' said Cook, who is ranked 11th academically out of about 90 seniors at Altair Rice Consolidated High, 57 miles west of Houston.

''We got to the state semifinal, the farthest we've ever gone, and Taylor was a major part of that,'' said Brad Dumont, coach at Class 2A Rice Consolidated. "He can throw about 70 yards. He just hasn't had the opportunity to throw to the caliber of receivers some of these guys at the bigger schools have.

"Kansas State, Rice and LSU contacted him, but he's staying pat on his commitment. He's bound and determined to show people in Texas they missed a keeper.''

Another Cook tidbit: He's a second-team all-state punter. He had a 42.3-yard average this past season, and could get on the field quickly if he lands that role -- one that could double as a reserve quarterback. He does not want to play tight end, according to his coach.

Cook tore the medial collateral ligament of his left knee in the state semifinals, but soon will be out of his brace and ready to work out. His numbers in 2007: 103 completions out of 214 attempts for 1,598 yards, 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He also rushed for 512 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Cook's father, Robby, has been in the Texas House of Representatives since 1997, but will retire this year.

Cannon Smith, whose family lives in Memphis, came to UM after a year at Hargrave Military Academy, a post-high school prep school in Chatham, Va. After transferring from private school Christian Brothers, he spent his senior season at nearby Olive Branch, Miss.

'GREAT ARM'

Smith, 6-0 and 210 pounds, is a rivals.com three-star quarterback described as tough and team oriented with ''a great arm and great attitude,'' recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said.

In 2006 at Olive Branch, he completed 130 of 273 passes for 2,314 yards and 27 touchdowns with 12 interceptions.

He started every game at Hargrave but separated his right shoulder in the finale.

''I worked real hard on quickening everything up for the next level,'' Smith, 20, told The Memphis Commercial Appeal.

"We had so much speed I got to see in practice everyday on the defensive side. You've got to be real accurate and quick with your decisions when you're facing these 4.2 [seconds in the 40-yard dash] and 4.3 corners and safeties.''

Said Lemming: "I went to see him play the No. 1 team from Mississippi [South Panola] and he almost single-handedly beat them -- but ended up losing because his running backs and receivers fumbled six times. I would say he's just as good as Cook and Harris and more mature.

"I think he'll be big time.''

Smith's father is big time. Fred Smith, 63, is FedEx Corp.'s CEO. Like most fathers, he is fiercely proud of his third son, the youngest of his 10 children. Unlike most fathers, however, Smith runs one of the most well-known companies in the world and owns 10 percent of the Washington Redskins.

He said he intends to stay in the background and let his son prove himself.

''I know I'm not a normal sports dad,'' said Smith, whose brother went to UM. He added, laughing: "But I promise you, I didn't throw any of his touchdowns. Cannon is where he is because of what Cannon has done, and if anything, who I am has probably been a detriment to him. He has played football since he was 6 and he'd play 365 days a year if he could.''

When asked if he had told UM officials or coaches he would build a UM facility or building, Smith said rumors even close to that were "categorically untrue.''

"The coaches, athletic director, nobody has ever whispered one word about me building anything. I made it very clear they can't recruit football players because of who their daddies are. That's a good way to be 0-12.''

Cannon will end a year-long pretrial diversion program Feb. 12. He was arrested with a former teammate in December 2006, when police stopped him for speeding and found Ecstacy pills, a stimulant narcotic, in his car. His friend had marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

MAKING MISTAKES

Smith's charge was amended to unlawful possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor.

''My feeling at first was the same as anybody else's -- disappointment,'' Olive Branch coach Scott Samsel said. "But he's a great young man. Kids sometimes do dumb things when they're in high school. They make mistakes. He learned from it. He's moving on.''

Smith endured the death of his 35-year-old older sister Wendy in 2005 and a severe inner-ear infection in middle school that nearly k!lled him. It migrated into the bone, menacingly close to his brain stem, causing his fever to spike above 105.

He recovered after massive doses of antibiotics, and his inner ear was surgically rebuilt.

Cannon has the same gene that caused his sister's death from a genetic heart problem, but has no manifestations or irregularities, Fred Smith said.

UM doctors are aware of his status, which requires him to stay hydrated and take supplements to maintain enough electrolytes.

''Cannon has been surprising a lot of people for a long time,'' Fred Smith said. "He's a very determined young man.''
 9 years ago '04        #3329
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Recruiting profile | Pahokee WR Martavious Odoms
Before his weekend visit to UM, one of top remaining uncommitted receivers in the state says he's still wide open when it comes to recruiting

With two weeks left before National Signing Day most recruits in South Florida are already committed to a school or at least have a good idea where they might end up. Not Pahokee receiver Martavious Odoms.

The 5-8, 170-pound speedster and 17th-ranked overall recruit in South Florida still finds himself a lot like he usually is on the field -- wide open -- when it comes to making his college choice. This weekend, Odoms is visiting the University of Miami. Next week, he'll make his final official visit to Michigan. He hopes when the visits are over he'll have his mind made up between the Wolverines, Hurricanes, South Florida Bulls, West Virginia Mountaineers and Iowa Hawkeyes.

Wherever he ends up, recruiting analyst Larry Blustein says that school is going to end up with one heck of a receiver.

"You're talking about a kid who at the age of 14 caught a touchdown pass in the state championship game," Blustein said. "He owns three state championship rings and 60 percent of that offense Pahokee had this season was because of him. He demands double coverage. There’s a lot of wide receivers out there bigger than him, but he’s blazing fast. He’s a jet with great hands. I remember seeing him make an over the shoulder catch against Glades Central that was just unbelievable. He’d be a solid No. 2 receiver for somebody."

it'd be nice to keep adding speed on offense, "the muck" produces some of the best talent in the country
 9 years ago '05        #3330
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
props
 9 years ago '06        #3331
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,695 | Props total: 12228 12228
looks like we might get a TE in this class Brandon Moore

OOS from ohio who is commited at Michigan

he cancelled his official to Florida and rich rodriguez under the spread only had 3 completions to the tight end position

01-27-2008, 01:41 PM         #3332
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Props Bress..im New To This Boxden And Ima Diehard Miami Hurricane Football Fan..i Know Just About Erthing Bout Tha Recruiting So Ill Try And Hook Yall Miami Boyz Up
 9 years ago '07        #3333
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 CANEBOI11 said:
Props Bress..im New To This Boxden And Ima Diehard Miami Hurricane Football Fan..i Know Just About Erthing Bout Tha Recruiting So Ill Try And Hook Yall Miami Boyz Up
welcome to the Canes fam
 01-27-2008, 02:33 PM         #3334
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thanx Bruhh
 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM         #3335
CANEBOI11 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Looks Like We Prolly Gunna Get Pahokee Wr. Montavious Odoms Because Miami Offered Him A Track Scholarship And Brandon Harris Rated His Visit A Ten This Weekend. Davon Johnson Also Stayed Wit Brandon Tha Whole Visit And Also Talked To Miss. Cb Alonzo Lawrence
 9 years ago '04        #3336
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 CANEBOI11 said:
welcome

the "U" is the deepest family 'round these parts, any input or news is always more than welcome

Last edited by madness; 01-27-2008 at 03:07 PM..
 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM         #3337
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 9 years ago '06        #3338
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,695 | Props total: 12228 12228
big win against ranked clemson today in basketball

:rasta:
 9 years ago '06        #3339
ANOMOLIE 
space
space
$247 | Props total: 0 0
Im curious has anyone seen this Laron Byrd play. I've heard alot about him. What are some good comparisons?
 9 years ago '04        #3340
UknowWhatItIs 
space
space
$8,675 | Props total: 7 7
 ANOMOLIE said:
Im curious has anyone seen this Laron Byrd play. I've heard alot about him. What are some good comparisons?
I dunno much about him but we were high on his list late and were still in it but I dont think we will get anymore WR commits... I think he was in MIA this weekend.. theres a 3rd school hes interested in I just cant yjink of it... oh yea its Tulane

on Scout it has AU High interest and MIA and Tulane medium ineterst (btw he from louisiana)

On rivals it says we were his leader following his visit on 1/11

hes visiting Miami 2/1

I think he'll be a cane

6'4"
205 lbs.
4.46 40

just watched his video and im wondering why he didnt recieve more offers.... looks real athletic with good hands and good size

but jarmon Fortson>>>
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
47 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
175 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
244 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
57 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Trevor Noah Spittin Real on The Breakfast Club
75 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside YouTube superstar PewDiePie vows to DELETE his channel once he hits 50m..
65 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Keep it 100: Would you jump in this 3some
72 comments
24 hours ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy